[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Here to Heart 温暖的弦

sugarplum892

All of Nan Xian's expressions in each and every scene is embedded in my heart so well now after rewatching it for so many times. Even when I'm watching other shows I can't help but go back watch a clip or a whole ep of this show. Only then I feel like my day is complete. LOL. 

The one minute expression of him I loved and kept rewinding it is when he smiles and raises his right eyebrow (yes I'm specific like that. Lol)slightly when he looks at her.  I noticed it first on the scene when he takes her to the food place where they used to frequent during their uni days. It's Soo sweet. It's like he is asking her whether she finds him swoony now. LOLOL. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@kokodus, I haven’t watched this drama in about three weeks now so I’m looking forward to noticing those expressions you talked about when I rewatch it soon. There are definitely my favorites like when he laughs and tells GT to give him some peace. I also love the expression on his face when he’s sitting back while WN begins to sing “their” song. Gah, straight through the kokoro it pierced me knowing what he must be feeling in the moment. 

Oh, and I have been watching a lot of drama shows but I’m not attached to the romances anywhere near as much as I am to this. However, this is a common occurrence for me because romances don’t really move me deeply unless there’s something about the couple and their love that takes me above and beyond the ordinary. 

By the way, if anybody here ever read Jane Austen’s Persuasion, doesn’t this story remind you of the romance between the hero and heroine of that book? 

@celebrianna Ohh I can't even go two days without watching parts of this show. I'm hoping that I'll get bored of it one day and move on. Dunno when that will happen. The problem is there are soooo many swoony, heartwrenching, and cute moments of the OTP. So if I start from the first ep today, it will take at least a week to get back to the same ep again, and I find it fresh again and ready to get back into the feels once again. Rollercoaster ride is what it is. And I enjoy every moment of it. 

How much of a masochist I must be to rewatch that scene at the airport when he comes back from London after knowing that she went missing. It makes my heart twist when he stands there desperately after she cuts off the phone. Gahhhhhhh

@kokodus, I’ve been through the same “sticking” point where I can’t move on from a drama and I would be in the same place as you if I didn’t force myself to stop watching. The thing about this show is that I have to stop in the right places to prevent myself staying up all night and regretting it at work the next day. LOL That’s why when I want to rewatch I usually start on a Friday night so I have the weekend to be a zombie. Like you said, it’s a roller coaster ride. It’s forgiving though because no matter how much they hurt each other they’ve never accepted anyone else for a second.

That scene at the airport has so much meaning and I love it. I was very upset with NX because of the way he ignored her calls while in England so I was happy that she was leaving even though it was for a different reason. I was happy because he had become complacent so soon after they got back together and needed to learn a lesson. Even if he was upset because of the implication ZLL made in England, he should have at least acknowledge her many messages.  Still, I was sad for him again in the next moment especially when she called him to say goodbye. I loved how she clearly told him that the one thing she has never regretted is loving him. :wub:   But to hear her say goodbye as if she was never coming back just really strikes the heart. I love the scenes that follow when he’s reflecting on all the times he was harsh with her not knowing that she also went through a difficult and painful seven years and also the scene with his mom. I just love how he was adamant that WN was the only one for him. These two...they just continue to love only each other.

@celebrianna Rightly said. I also love the scene when he thinks about the times he was rude to her. I love that whole sequence. One of the heavy weighty scenes in the show and I think Zhang Han nailed it. Even after rewatching it for the umpteenth time, I still tear up slightly when I see him break down. Gahhhh. 

@kokodus, it is heartbreaking because those who knew kept him in the dark. It also didn’t help that WR finished by telling him to stay away from WN and kind of alluded that nothing good would come from their relationship. WN, on the other hand, never for a moment blamed NX for either his failure to contact her when he was in England or for his misunderstanding that she didn’t suffer like him over the 7 years. She was very apologetic towards him because she saw how much she had hurt him and she made sure to apologize this time and told him she never regretted loving him. Yes, ZH was wonderful in his role as NX. I love seeing all of his varying emotions and I love trying to read him because the character is truly complex.

14 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I love that scene. It showcases the bromance between NX and GF really well. NX is honest with GF and GF’s response shows that he completely agreed with and supported NX’s answer. 

@Morelia, as the others posted, NX’s mom was definitely at the wedding. I would have loved to see her face when YX and PWN left together. In my rewatch of this show, NX’s mom makes me very frustrated because of how unreasonable she was with him especially in that scene where she came to the office and was talking so loud, ordering NX to get rid of WN from the company. Poor guy was probably already tired from working long hours and here comes his mother to add more pressure.

I sometimes wish NX had opened up to GT about his and WN's history as well.  I've often wondered if GT would have been less upset by NX's abrupt departure from London if he'd known the reasons behind that decision.  On the one hand, I get why NX was more open with GF than GT.  On the other hand, the three of them are supposed to be best friends . . . .

As for Mom, I''m currently in the throes of her disapproval in my rewatch and the part that gets me most are all the times she invites him to dinner/makes him dinner and then proceeds to nag him about WN and his father.  How is NX supposed to eat properly if he's served a dish of guilt on top of the other foods in front of him?!  Sigh.  

13 hours ago, kokodus said:

All of Nan Xian's expressions in each and every scene is embedded in my heart so well now after rewatching it for so many times. Even when I'm watching other shows I can't help but go back watch a clip or a whole ep of this show. Only then I feel like my day is complete. LOL. 

NX has some pretty great expressions, especially the subtle ones.  (ZH is toooo good.)  I just finished rewatching that scene where NX asks WN if she has any free time that night, and then tells her it's because he'd like her to set up a meeting with ZLL.  When he comments on how disappointed she looks and asks if she had something else in mind, he quirks his eyebrow in the tiniest but most suggestive way.  It's perfect.

Their phone conversation at the airport is also my go-to rewatch scene.  I just love it so much and it breaks my heart every time.  When she tells him that the one thing she doesn't regret in her lifetime is having loved him and that she owes him an endless amounts of, "I'm sorries," I just fall to pieces.

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

@celebrianna Rightly said. I also love the scene when he thinks about the times he was rude to her. I love that whole sequence. One of the heavy weighty scenes in the show and I think Zhang Han nailed it. Even after rewatching it for the umpteenth time, I still tear up slightly when I see him break down. Gahhhh. 

In addition to all those thing you mentioned, another thing I love about that scene is how nicely it contrasts from WN's flashbacks where she is sitting in her London hotel room's closet feeling guilt ridden now that she's recovered her memories and thinking about the sweet times they spent together.  I find it very meaningful the different ways in which each think about their recent interactions.

Anyway, I have continued in my rewatch this weekend.  When I saw them reunite in the lobby, this time, one thought I had was how crazy it was that this was the first time they were seeing each other since they were literally in bed together.  Sooooo much had happened in between in the meantime!  I'm now at the part where ZLL and NX are about to meet up and have their fencing match/talk.  The subs continue to drive me crazy at times and I've screenshotted a few to correct/share with you all, but I have to take a break and do some work this afternoon so be on the lookout for that later!  :P

@themarchioness, I think NX opens up to GF because GF actually prods him. When I remember the times we see them together, NX hardly ever volunteers any information. It took GF several tries to get NX to admit that he indeed had a special relationship with WN. I simply love the way ZH acted out that part. I can see it now in my mind’s eye where he sits forward with his elbows resting on his thighs and touches his watch wrist and he grows silent and the mood changes and he tells GF that he knew about his past relationship and that WN is his first love. All that time had passed since WN was working there and he now finally reveals the truth to GF after GF sincerely makes the case that he’s observed that NX treats her differently. Maybe GT’s approach is the problem because NX did tell GF the truth after GF earnestly asked him why he left England suddenly and was willing to listen to his explanation as is always his approach.

I’m surprised NX didn’t choke on the food. I mean, how could the mother be so wrapped up in her own pain? Her conversations with NX are always about her complaints and guilt tripping him. No wonder he needed that six months break from her.

By the way, I don’t think we ever clarified why the father rushed back. We all thought it’s because NX was having a hard time with the breakup but was it really because of the mother’s birthday?

About the subs, I wish they would fix them but I’m losing hope on that issue.

I've just joined  your group.  But before I go on I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you here for discussing and analysing this drama for our better enjoyment.  I like Zhang han's style of acting since the Lengendary tycoon, boss and me etc. and become one of his avid fans.  He really shines in this drama so much so I don't understand the criticisms  regarding his paralytic expression and wooden acting in boss and me by those who don't understand or appreciate the part he was playing.  Anyway I am glad to be in this forum where his talents are more accurately gauged.

celebrianna 

About the subs, I wish they would fix them but I'm losing hope on that issue.   .Could you please let me know what subs you are referring to?  Thank you

@josephinewong,

I watched Boss and Me and while I liked the couple, I loved the female character the most as portrayed by ZLY with her natural acting. It was the first time I ever saw both her and ZH. I didn’t know them before. The problem with Feng Teng is that he’s not memorable as a character. The male best friend was more versatile.

I watch drama shows for the most part because of the story rather than the actors so I haven’t seen most of ZH’s work but I have seen him in several drama shows and in terms of character, I find Nan Xian the most complicated character he has portrayed so far as I have seen. For me, this character is memorable and I’m really happy that he was able to play this role.

By the way, @kokodus can share with you the thread for discussing the actor Zhang Han since you’re an avid fan of his.:D

All I want to say is that I'm glad that I got introduced to ZH thru H2H than any other drama of his. I would've still liked him but none of his other roles affected me as much as Nan Xian did. I think it's the story itself that gave him more scope and enabled him to act his heart out. I can't see anyone else in this role other than Zhang Han.

@josephinewong We can discuss about his other dramas here

8 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Maybe GT’s approach is the problem because NX did tell GF the truth after GF earnestly asked him why he left England suddenly and was willing to listen to his explanation as is always his approach.

By the way, I don’t think we ever clarified why the father rushed back. We all thought it’s because NX was having a hard time with the breakup but was it really because of the mother’s birthday?

I think he told GF the truth because GF already knew about his relationship with WN.  As for GT, he was simply too oblivious to ever notice and ask.  (Like you noted, GF knew because he'd noticed previously and prodded.)  By the time England happened, NX wasn't going to reveal his past to GT at that moment.  I just wish it had all happened differently -- seeing the bromance fall apart is as painful as watching WN and NX fall apart.  My heart hurts.

As for NX's father, as I recall, he was already planning on returning by Mom's birthday.  In the recording he left behind, he said that when he came back, the four of them (including WN) would go out to dinner to mark the occasion.  So yes, he really did return early because of the break up.

@josephinewong, welcome to the thread!

Finally, as previously mentioned, here are some subbing errors that I wanted to comment on:

- In the scene where ZLL and WN finally meet up after she returns from London, the subs have him saying, "Let me say it.  I actually want to change into his place.  I sued Shallow Cosmos before for I want to use that to make you clearly see the real Zhan Nan Xian.  But I didn't expect that he would forego the lawsuit, and return to the country to find you."  Then at one point they have him also saying, "Decided to go to the states and find you."  And the subs have WN responding, "I can't believe I actually know about this right now."  

How I'd translate it:  ZLL starts off by saying that with everything that Qian Yu and NX's going through, that she's returned to his side to keep him company, to take care of him, and support him, it's something that anyone would envy.  Just use me as an example (instead of "Let me say it").  Actually, I'd like to trade places with him.  When I sued Shallow Cosmos previously, I wanted to use that opportunity to show you the real Zhan Nan Xian.  But I never expected that because of you, he would forgo the lawsuit and return home to find you."  WN asks, "Do you mean to say that Nan Xian's return was because of me?"  ZLL nods and says, "After he received news that you disappeared, he gave up his best opportunity to defend the lawsuit and without hesitation returned home to find you."  WN responds, "I can't believe I'm just finding out about this now."  

- In the scene where NX confronts PWN after he sees the latter ending a meeting with an investor that NX and WN have been trying to contact to no avail.  The subs have NX saying to PWN, "I don't know why you don't want to see me good."  

How I'd translate it: "I don't know why you can't seem to bear seeing me doing well." 

- In the scene where GT rushes to the hospital to see GF, right before GF goes in to meet with his doctors, the subs have GF saying, "Okay already.  You're a man so stop being so effeminate."

How I'd translate it: "That's enough now.  You're man, stop being so fussy."

- In the scene where WN goes running with ZLL in an effort to persuade him to join forces with NX, at one point the subs have her saying, "You said it's for him, but it's also for you."  

How I'd translate it: "Who says I'm doing it just for him?  I'm also doing it for you."  (There's a question in there that the subbers just completely omitted.)

21 hours ago, kokodus said:

All I want to say is that I'm glad that I got introduced to ZH thru H2H than any other drama of his. I would've still liked him but none of his other roles affected me as much as Nan Xian did. I think it's the story itself that gave him more scope and enabled him to act his heart out. I can't see anyone else in this role other than Zhang Han.

I don’t know the other actor who had to drop out of the role but I’m very happy ZH got the role. He is NX to me too. I liked ZH since The Four but I saw him in other roles earlier and they never really moved me. He mostly played cold characters. It’s truly a pleasure to see him act a character that portrays so many different emotions, who is also intelligent and a complicated man. NX to me does nothing rashly and I find that an interesting trait of his. He’s always plotting the next move and adapts them as circumstances changes. ^_^ 

@themarchioness, quite frankly, your translations makes much more sense. I was wondering why they had ZLL saying that NX went to the states. I knew it had to be an error but I found it an annoying error because it obviously didn’t make sense. I was also wondering about that GT’s use of effeminate. The conversation with PWN I pretty much guessed the gist of it. Still, it’s distracting from the character conversations when the subs don’t make sense. :( Thanks so much for the clarifications.

Oh, so NX’s dad was indeed returning earlier because of him. In the discussions in Viki timed comments viewers were confused after listening to the message he left. Did you find any translation error that made them feel that way? I was too busy tearing up because as soon as WN heard Uncle Zhou’s voice she began to cry. That scene was so heartbreaking. It’s like hearing from a loved one who passed away so many years before.

3 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@themarchioness, quite frankly, your translations makes much more sense. I was wondering why they had ZLL saying that NX went to the states. I knew it had to be an error but I found it an annoying error because it obviously didn’t make sense. I was also wondering about that GT’s use of effeminate. The conversation with PWN I pretty much guessed the gist of it. Still, it’s distracting from the character conversations when the subs don’t make sense. :( Thanks so much for the clarifications.

Oh, so NX’s dad was indeed returning earlier because of him. In the discussions in Viki timed comments viewers were confused after listening to the message he left. Did you find any translation error that made them feel that way? I was too busy tearing up because as soon as WN heard Uncle Zhou’s voice she began to cry. That scene was so heartbreaking. It’s like hearing from a loved one who passed away so many years before.

Re: the states.  In English, when we speak of ending our travels, we'll use expressions like, "I'm returning/going home," or "I'm returning/going home to the States" (if one is abroad).  In Chinese, they'll similarly say "hui jia" (return home) or "hui guo" (return to the country).  The latter is what was used in H2H.  I'm guessing the translator for that segment simply forgot to translate it from the characters' perspective versus their own. 

Re: effeminate.  Another way to translate that expression ("po po ma ma") would be "nagging," which is how I interpret it in my head whenever I hear Li Mo saying that about Cold Blood in The Four.  Can you imagine if the translators had her calling Cold Blood effeminate?  :lol:

I'll definitely let you know about NX's father's message when I reach that scene in my rewatch with subs.  What were the viewers confused about?  (I turned off the timed comments because I found them distracting.)

@themarchioness, I find timed comments very distracting too but I had the feature on during my second rewatch of the later episodes. I think the viewers were confused because Uncle Zhou said he was returning to surprise his wife on her birthday. I think they thought he had returned for that instead of because of the breakup with WN. Some comments were saying some not nice words about her. LOL

Also, what is up with the constant use of “blissful” in those later episodes?

@celebrianna, oh dear!  To that I can only say, "Logics, people!"  If a person goes away on a business trip, surely they must have plans to return at some point as well???  And so it was his always intention that when he returned, he would celebrate his wife's birthday with his family.  But the turning point in this drama is that he returned sooner than originally intended.  I don't know how that is at all confusing.  It sounds more like people were unhappy with Mom and wanted to find more things to blame her for, which skewed their perspective.

As for "bliss/blissful," heh.  You asked me that before.  Same answer as previously (as I'm still not there), but I appreciate the reminder since I'm not sure I would've remembered to keep an eye out for it given that it's been a while since you asked.  I'll try to keep it in mind!  

50 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@themarchioness, oh right I did remember asking you that before now that you reminded me. It’s just so weird to have all the characters repeating that word in the latter episodes. lol

I just reached the episodes where they start using “bliss” and “blissful” and it is, as I suspected/guessed, they’re trying to translate “xing fu.”  I’m gathering as many of those moments so I can explain properly.  I’m also gathering other moments where I’d tweak the subs to post about later. :rolleyes:  I wish I could’ve been an editor for these subbers!  I give them heaps of credit because it’s hard work, and I certainly wouldn’t want to start from scratch, but just to clean them up a little.... 

Rewatching the scenes after it is revealed that The Kid was working with PWN is just bringing back all my aggravation towards him.  I dislike how he pressures her for forgiveness and makes it sound like she's being unreasonable or something.  Um, that was a pretty big betrayal on his behalf!  I get that his feelings are separate from his actions, but it still doesn't quite work that way.  Now I'm just back to wishing WR had stuck with her initial reaction to never forgive him ever.  In this rewatch, I'm reminded that she had broken up with a cheating boyfriend at the beginning of the drama (something I admit I totally forgot until the rewatch) and I wished her resoluteness with that ex had channeled to The Kid as well.  

Also, rewatching the scene where YX tells NX's mother that she's letting go of NX and implicitly acknowledges that she's moved on to PWN, now has me wondering why when the pregnancy rumors came out Mom would have thought that was NX's baby.  :blink:

Archived