[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Here to Heart 温暖的弦

sugarplum892

6 minutes ago, kokodus said:

@leah8 Its not shown in Netflix yet. At least not Netflix Asia, not sure about other regions. And yeah right, we do have similar tastes in dramas, I think I also saw you in Paris is not a good place thread, which is another drama I want to watch but couldn't because of the lack of subs. SIGHHHH. 

Still getting used to posting at this forum, I only recognize your name now that you mentioned it lol.  I started posting in All out of Love cause a couple of people asked if anyone's read the novel and can clear up some stuff. 

Didnt someone mentioned that Paris will be subbed? 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@leah8 Welcome to soompi. Thanks for giving your insights in the all out of love thread. I enjoy reading your posts. And really, Paris is going to get subbed?? I haven't heard any news yet. Fingers crossed. 

Here to heart is available on Viki, if you want to watch it. 

7 hours ago, kokodus said:

@leah8 Welcome to soompi. Thanks for giving your insights in the all out of love thread. I enjoy reading your posts. And really, Paris is going to get subbed?? I haven't heard any news yet. Fingers crossed. 

Here to heart is available on Viki, if you want to watch it. 

I enjoy reading your posts too.  Its always nice to have company. 

Here see, someone mentioned its been licensed.  Maybe you missed the post?

On 9/27/2018 at 6:37 AM, revocs said:

Dimsum.my has liscensed this drama, so there will be subs!

wwI_ebCrQ22Sab0rYe2hKA.png

Ohh @leah8 thanks. Seems like I missed it completely. Haven't heard of this site called dimsum.my , anyways as long as there are English subs, I'll be happy. 

Have you started here to heart?? This is my first Zhang Han drama, and after watching this one, I went on a ZH binge and watched all his other shows and movies. Kekeke. 

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

Ohh @leah8 thanks. Seems like I missed it completely. Haven't heard of this site called dimsum.my , anyways as long as there are English subs, I'll be happy. 

Have you started here to heart?? This is my first Zhang Han drama, and after watching this one, I went on a ZH binge and watched all his other shows and movies. Kekeke. 

No I haven't, but I've seen clips and previews.  The love scenes are fairly racy huh?  I'll likely start watching it after thanksgiving.  I havent even caught up on All Out of Love yet.

• 2 weeks later...

@celebrianna, hi, long time no see.  You probably don't visit this thread anymore, so I'm tagging you in the hopes that you'll see it then.  I'm sorry I disappeared from Soompi this summer for various reasons (work, etc.) but now that it's a new season, I'm finding wedges of time to make it back to Soompi. 

Prior to my Soompi-hiatus, I was in the process of sharing my take on some of the Viki subs for this drama and unfortunately it's been so long since I last watched the latter half of H2H, that it'd be too much work for me to try and recreate what I'd started before (I'd have to go back rewatch again and while that's not necessarily a hardship in and of itself, it's the lack of time factor).  BUT, having said that, there was one word/phrase you'd asked me about and I definitely wanted to give you an answer for that, as it's kind of been weighing on my conscience since that time.  Heh.

Specifically, you'd asked me about the rampant use of "bliss" in the subs.  IIRC, at one point, the subbers even managed to turn it into a verb, LOL.  As I had suspected when you first asked me about it, I was able to confirm later through rewatching that the subbers were trying to translate the phrase, "幸福 (xing fu)." 

To be fair to the subbers, "xing fu," is not an easy word to translate into English, and that's because it has a very broad meaning.  So how it gets translated depends a lot on the context in which the phrase is being used.  But, at its most basic level, and if you were to look it up in a translation dictionary, it would probably tell you that "xing fu," means happy, or happiness.  But it's more than just being happy, because if I wanted to say I was feeling happy (or happy about something) in the sense that we tend to think of "happy" in English, that would be "快乐 (kuai le)" or "开心 (kai xin)" in Chinese (e.g., if I wanted to say I was feeling "happy" to be posting on Soompi again, I'd say I was feeling "kuai le," or "kai xin").

So, what kind of happiness then is "xing fu" referring to?  It's more the state of being.  The thing you want to achieve in life.  It's a wish for someone or yourself.  In fact, it's a common expression shared at New Years and on people's birthdays.  In addition to wishing your friend a happy birthday, for example, you might also say, "I wish you xing fu."

In that context, "xing fu" can be translated in a variety of ways, e.g., happiness, fortunate, good fortune, auspicious, bliss, blissful, etc.  Probably the best way to explain is through the use of examples. 

In the scene where Nan Xian and Zhu Lin Lu finally have their heart to heart talk, after their fencing match, NX says to the latter that he actually felt "xing fu" that his company went through the troubles that it did, as it allowed him to see who was really by his side.  There, instead of "bliss," as the subbers used, I would've said that NX was trying to say he felt fortunate. 

In that same heart to heart talk, ZLL made the comment that if NX did anything to make Wen Nuan sad or suffer, he would use his abilities to bring punishment to NX.  In response, NX said that he welcomed ZLL to monitor his and WN's "xing fu."  There, I would've translated that as happiness

When NX and Yi Xing have their heart to heart talk (at the networking event, after she came to accept NX was no longer the one for her), NX observes that he can tell that she's more relaxed at work these days and looks "kuai le" (happy).  When NX asks her if she's really with Pan Wei Ning, she nods and explains to him how currently she's feeling "xing fu."  There, you could translate that to happy, fortunate, or even blessed.  NX responds that as her long time friend, to see her "xing fu", makes him "geng kai xin" (happier; geng means "more" so more happy is happier) than anyone else.  In that context, I'd translate "xing fu" to happy.  At the end of their conversation, YX says to NX that she also wishes him "xing fu, "and there, she's referring to his happiness. 

As for another possible translation, going off-topic for a second, but I don't know if you watched "Crazy Rich Asians," but there was one scene where Rachel met Nick's grandmother for the first time.  Her grandmother looked at her nose and commented that the shape of it was very "xing fu," and the movie translated it as auspicious.  That stuck out at me as the time as I was thinking about this thread, and made a mental note to remember it for this post.  :)  

As you can see, there's really a variety of ways to translate "xing fu."  As I said at the outset, it all comes down to context.  Bliss . . . it wasn't wrong, per se, it just probably wasn't the best way to convey the intended meanings more than half the time.  :D

Hope this explanation helps -- and again, sorry it was so late!

@themarchioness, thank you for taking the time to point out these examples and context. I know translating is not easy so I’m grateful to the subbing team. It would have been nice though if they, like you, used a more appropriate word to convey the right meaning in context for us English viewers. ^_^ I haven’t rewatched H2H since July or earlier but it’s still in my queue on Viki.

If Netflix really purchased the license, I would love to watch it there. My only problem with Netflix is that it translates a lot of profane words for a show where DramaFever orViki would use less vulgar curse word. For instance, I see Netflix use the “F” word in Something in the Rain and DramaFever uses something far more tame. Netflix turns viewers 15 and up to Mature. I just can’t with them most times.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 8:19 PM, celebrianna said:

@themarchioness, thank you for taking the time to point out these examples and context. I know translating is not easy so I’m grateful to the subbing team. It would have been nice though if they, like you, used a more appropriate word to convey the right meaning in context for us English viewers. ^_^ I haven’t rewatched H2H since July or earlier but it’s still in my queue on Viki.

If Netflix really purchased the license, I would love to watch it there. My only problem with Netflix is that it translates a lot of profane words for a show where DramaFever orViki would use less vulgar curse word. For instance, I see Netflix use the “F” word in Something in the Rain and DramaFever uses something far more tame. Netflix turns viewers 15 and up to Mature. I just can’t with them most times.

Just turned in to Netflix and am glad to inform that H2Heart is on Netflix.  I intend to see the whole show again on netflix but instead I quickly turned to episode 28 and discovered some interesting parts not shown in viki.  I can see that Netflix will be more interesting.

@themarchioness and @josephinewong, definitely watch the Netflix version. I’m seeing scenes I never saw before. For instance, in London (episode 5) after they lost the deal and WN invited NX sight seeing they joined a group watching this guy singing Tom Petty’s song Free Falling during which WN and NX talk about her sister’s involvement in the other side winning the deal. NX told her she doesn’t have to feel sorry towards him. She told him she felt depressed because they all worked hard on the deal. That’s definitely a new scene. They even were dancing a bit and laughing or smiling lots. They also rode the double decker bus.

Edit: Actually the London sightseeing scenes in episode 5 are numerous and I like them before the old ones show up with the boat rowing. They were having fun before the more somber scenes where she talks about the poem she used to recite.

Also, I realize that they edited the show to support some of the things mentioned by the characters that we didn’t see in the original. For example, after WN and Pan had lunch at the same place with NX and YX, Pan had later ask YX if their plan was successful and she said no because back in the office when she offered NX some of the dessert she was eating, NX only ate it to put on a show for WN to give her the impression that him and YX were affectionate with each other. In the Netflix version we actually get to see that NX did eat a spoonful of her dessert after WN asked to enter the office, thus confirming what YX said is true.

Also, in the Netflix version we saw that ZLL reflected on what NX told him when WR came home drunk...that he doesn’t have WN’s heart and how anxious he must be. After he reflected on it the next day while still at WR’ house, he started to play around with WN by grabbing her toast bread after she was already eating it. I don’t know if that should be read as flirting. 

@celebrianna, thanks for the tag!  I heard about the uncut scenes in the Netflix version; so exciting!  Unfortunately, I don't have a Netflix account so I'm unlikely to be able to view those expanded episodes anytime soon but fortunately (?), a lot of those scenes were previously uploaded to various IG accounts so I've seen them there.  I just don't get to see them in the full context, but at least it helps me to feel a little less left out.  :P

6 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Also, I realize that they edited the show to support some of the things mentioned by the characters that we didn’t see in the original. For example, after WN and Pan had lunch at the same place with NX and YX, Pan had later ask YX if their plan was successful and she said no because back in the office when she offered NX some of the dessert she was eating, NX only ate it to put on a show for WN to give her the impression that him and YX were affectionate with each other. In the Netflix version we actually get to see that NX did eat a spoonful of her dessert after WN asked to enter the office, thus confirming what YX said is true.

How interesting!  Those are sure to be nice additions. 

To be honest, more than expanded scenes/episodes, what I've really been wanting lately is to be able to read the novel!  I've spent the past few weekends in the company of my parents and whenever my mom and I around each other we seem to gravitate towards rewatching H2H, picking up each time where we left off (and by mutual agreement, fast forward through The Kid's scenes :P).  In rewatching though, sometimes I feel like the more I watch, the less I understand what's going through Nan Xian's head.  In those times, I wonder if reading the novel help to fill in some of those gaps. 

Alas.

@themarchioness, I’m hoping to get more clarity in this version. Perhaps it’s edited in a way that viewers can understand better. I’m just hoping they cut down a lot of YX’s scenes because it’s still 48 episodes long but episode 5 added a lot of new scenes. 

As to NX, I think the same for WN. I was already figuratively banging my head yesterday while watching both of them do things to create more misunderstandings between them. NX never answers WN’s questions directly. He’s usually telling her “it depends on who you trust”. Then he uses YX to make WN jealous which isn’t helping the situation at all. I don’t know if he’s testing WN’s reaction but the funny thing is it’s so blatant he’s using YX in these scenes that even YX knows it. He doesn’t even try to spare YX’s feelings either. This guy does things way too confoundly. Then there is WN too who let appearances suggest that she has a boyfriend and never outright refutes that it’s not true. To me they were just begging for heartache instead of being more direct with each other. :weary:

I will post later where there are more significant changes. 

By the way, aren’t you afraid that the novel might make you dislike the characters? People seem not to like them much.

One of the new scenes added have Guan Ti and Gao Fang questioning NX about the truth of YX’s pregnancy and NX refused to answer them. GT then tells NX that if it’s true, then they must keep the baby because the child is innocent. It’s hilarious when he said this because GF kind of pokes him to tell him to stay out of it but GT follows up by saying he’s just stating a fact. ^_^

Some things make more sense now. YX invites WN out with her to shop for a wedding dress. WN decides to accept the invitation because according to her it would help her to accept the reality that NX can no longer be with her. While in the bridal shop WN is drawn to a wedding dress and the sales person tries to entice her to try it on but she resists. NX walks in and agrees that the dress suits her. However, it doesn’t look like the wedding dress he left for her in the chapel with the note. 

The bachelor party scenes were added too. GF invited WN and she really went. The background music was Without You or as Netflix translates it, If Without You. Also, the Three Handsome Men of Shallow Cosmos and YX know it’s a fake wedding. There is more dialogue with NX’s mom and Sister Huan  and the mom seem to really think the child is NX’s. I like how Sister Huan was trying to tell NX’s mother not to jump the gun when news were spreading like wild fire about the pregnancy.

Here’s another development. GF purchased an engagement ring to propose to the secretary. Apparently they’ve been dating a while. GT took him to a jewelry store to help him pick a ring for XD and GF was the first to buy a ring. lol  His phone rings and GT takes it away from him only to find out that GF is dating the secretary. I’m glad to see GT learning from NX and WN’s mistakes because he said now that he has found the person for him, he’s grabbing the chance to propose to her because he didn’t want to make the same mistakes as WN and NX.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 7:57 AM, celebrianna said:

@themarchioness, I’m hoping to get more clarity in this version. Perhaps it’s edited in a way that viewers can understand better. I’m just hoping they cut down a lot of YX’s scenes because it’s still 48 episodes long but episode 5 added a lot of new scenes. 

@celebrianna, How did things working out with Netflix having the same number of episodes but added scenes?  Did they cut out a lot of the repetition that we suffered through towards the end of the drama in order to make everything fit?

On 10/27/2018 at 7:57 AM, celebrianna said:

As to NX, I think the same for WN. I was already figuratively banging my head yesterday while watching both of them do things to create more misunderstandings between them. NX never answers WN’s questions directly. He’s usually telling her “it depends on who you trust”. Then he uses YX to make WN jealous which isn’t helping the situation at all. I don’t know if he’s testing WN’s reaction but the funny thing is it’s so blatant he’s using YX in these scenes that even YX knows it. He doesn’t even try to spare YX’s feelings either. This guy does things way too confoundly. Then there is WN too who let appearances suggest that she has a boyfriend and never outright refutes that it’s not true. To me they were just begging for heartache instead of being more direct with each other. :weary:

By the way, aren’t you afraid that the novel might make you dislike the characters? People seem not to like them much.

NX and WN really were their own worst enemies a lot of the time, but that's why we love them and root for them.  Or, it doesn't prevent us from loving them and rooting for them still.  ;) 

If I recall correctly, I think even during the initial watch, you struggled to understand WN at times, so I'm not surprised to hear that would still feel the same during the rewatch.  When I indicated I was having questions about NX the more I rewatched the drama, they related to his business dealings.  To briefly explain, I don't think he is "white" as we found him on original watch.  At least for me, on original watch, I never wanted to believe NX capable of using underhanded tactics to win his business contracts.  We all like our drama heroes perfect and it's easier to think of the second lead as the one who's doing the questionable stuff.  But now . . . Like ZLL, I don't think NX ever did anything illegal.  But also like ZLL, I don't think he was above manipulating things so they'd work out as he planned and hoped for.  It's a cutthroat business world.

As for the novel, maybe.  But on the other hand, I also like having questions answered.  Ultimately though it's a moot point since the book's not translated, so it's not like I can actually read it.

Regarding the additional scenes you mentioned, those were all posted to IG previously so I did see them already - just not within the context of the drama.  As for the song NX sings, "Without You," that you noted Netflix translating as, "If Without You," I just thought I'd point out that Netflix is actually more correct.  There is an "If" in the name of the song.  The title of the song in Chinese is, "如果没有你 (Ru Guo Mei You Ni)."  Ru Guo = If; Mei = Not; You = Have (Mei You = Don't have); Ni = You.  Personally, I'd have translated it as, "If there was no you," to better express the sentiment of that phrase.

Finally, on a random side note, I'm currently watching "Never Gone," and I think some of the filming locations were also used in "Here to Heart."  I've screenshooted some scenes so I can go back later and do a proper comparison between the two dramas.  I'll report back my findings!  ;) 

• 5 months later...

I am a year late in discovering this gem of a drama but Ohhh what a discovery. Like most of you, I can't get enough of it and thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments. Now I know I am not alone in drooling over this!   Thank you! 

I am interested in the (soundtrack) I know how to get hold of the songs, but I can't find any trace of the instrumental tracks. If you know the titles & where I can get hold of them or even buy the album, if there is one, please let me know. Have tried Youtube, Spotify etc. & no luck.

There are 3 tracks I want to get hold of: 

1. Track during WN NX dance at the ball (Netflix Episode 4) Also played when he kisses her forehead on the London Big Wheel ride (NFLX EP 6)  & after they sing the Karaoke. (NFLX EP 17)

2. Track when they first meet on the 66th floor - the track starts real slow & then picks up as he goes up the stairs & ends when he stands at the window (NFLX EP 1). Same plays as he stands at the door to her art studio at her house on their breakup anniversary (NFLX EP 9)

3. Track when WN returns to Shanghai after fleeing to London & he catches a glimpse of her standing outside Shallow Cosmos in that blue & camel (beautiful outfit) (NFLX EP 37). Same plays again during ZLL, NX heart to heart after fencing  (NFLX EP41).

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived