[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Under the Power 锦衣之下

sugarplum892

I was just re-watching ep 10 during the scene of their practice for the Chinese opera. Only JX would be able to make our sour-faced Daren wear that colorful blue flowery garment. Love the playful background music! Love the interactions between the ML and FL here. The expression on Lu  Yi's face while watching JX does her stuff cracks me up.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, HopelesslyHooked said:

I was just re-watching ep 10 during the scene of their practice for the Chinese opera. Only JX would be able to make our sour-faced Daren wear that colorful blue flowery garment. Love the playful background music! Love the interactions between the ML and FL here. The expression on Lu  Yi's face while watching JX does her stuff cracks me up.

You are so right! Whenever she makes up a story his face expression is priceless: it always made me laugh out loud. Even in episode 21 when he is poisoned and she tells the doctor that they are lovers escaping from his father, he cannot help grimacing despite the pain.

Waiting for the subs, I'm rewatching the earlier episodes and in my opinion Lu Yi's already fallen for her at episode 13/14. The marriage proposal from Xie Xiao accelerates the process. How I love this couple!

Aside from JX’s master, I love how no one was surprised by JX & LY getting together. It’s like everyone already knew they had a thing together. It’s pretty funny how obvious the two were. LOL But I wonder if it was any different in the book...? Oh how I wish my Mandarin was better so I could read it. I even bought the book. lol

Dang, I really miss our 一下cp. I’ve been watching videos of them like crazy on douyin, still. Oh, did anyone see the picture of TSY and RJL on Happy Camp? I saw it in a video on douyin, but I could not find it anywhere online. Not even on Weibo! lol 

20 hours ago, mspilgrims said:

Waiting for the subs, I'm rewatching the earlier episodes and in my opinion Lu Yi's already fallen for her at episode 13/14. The marriage proposal from Xie Xiao accelerates the process. How I love this couple!

Yes agreed. I think the defining moment was on the boat (for him at least in a subconscious manner) which is why people say YanShiFan is the ultimate shipper! 

16 hours ago, angelangie said:

JinXia's sifu had been trying his hardest to separate them....actually he wasnt surprise....he was one of the first one that noted how close both JinXia and LuYi had gotten together....

when he came to to check and see if LuYi still staying at the room with JinXia he turn away because what he seen is what he had hope will not come true

no i didnt seen them....u didnt save the???? WHYYYYYYYYYYY :D

actually he already had a sense when JX treated LuYi to the all-vegetarian lunch to get him to help her find her family. Partly, he doesn't want her to find out her background but he was also disturbed how familiar JX and LuYi become to the extent that JX would ask that of him. 

26 minutes ago, angelangie said:

Which part? :D 

lots of them, too many to mention :tears:

8 minutes ago, AgnesLi said:

Looks like angst part. I refrain my self for rewatching hahaha..patiently and unpatient waiting for the subs. 

Sadly, I lack this kind of self-control :D The days go by very slowly :ph34r:

I do like JX's adoptive mother. I think she is probably the biggest influence on the fact that JX has grown into such a bright and strong young woman.

First, thank you for all the insightful comments!  I loved reading everyone's interpretations on when Lu Yi and Jin Xia fell in love.

My personal take - I don't think that it happened at any one defining moment; like the lead couple in The Story of Minglan (Minglan and Gu Tingye) - it happened slowly, so no one fell in love, but they just loved.  Which makes sense given Lu Yi's response at the table about what is more important than honor in episode 24: "Love.  Love, can also mean friendship and comradeship."

I very much enjoyed The Story of Minglan because Minglan and Gu Tingye loved each other despite their flaws and misgivings. They learned to love each other despite being angry with each other and not liking each other or each other's methods of dealing with crises at times.  Sometimes we don't even like the person we love, and I am not sure that many of us recognize this contradiction - that is what is so peculiar about love.

I actually was looking for another drama like The Story of Minglan, and although this couple in Under the Power is not married, Lu Yi and Jin Xia act as if they were already married.  They bicker endlessly, but subconsciously, they both know that they are safe with each other, and they complement each other. The fact that Jin Xia asked Lu Yi's assistance to find her family, that speaks volumes about the level of trust she has for him despite his being part of the imperial guard.

In fact, Jin Xia explains why she trusts him despite his being part of the imperial guard when Lu Yi reverts to a 13-year old - he is ruthless but he is not heartless, and he does not ask anyone to do what he is not willing to do himself.  He puts others above himself - but most people cannot see that because of his tough, cynical exterior. 

And why would Lu Yi grow up to be an externally compassionate individual?  His father is ruthless and seems to lack a conscious, and Lu Yi witnessed his mother's assassination.  I am just impressed that Lu Yi was able to recognize that Jin Xia would be his better half - that just indicates to me the high level of his self-awareness and emotional intelligence.  Watch him by his actions, not by his words.

And that is where Jin Xia did not make the same mistake that so many others did - she looked beyond the embroidered brocade uniform, to the man and the heart beneath - she definitely sees beneath the surface, which is why Lu Yi respects her and her detective abilities.  And for a man who grew up in the imperial court, he appreciates her straightforwardness and her lack of guile.  And I appreciate that he does not put down her abilities but instead tries to enhance her abilities.  Unlike many men, he is not threatened by her.

That is not to say that Lu Yi is perfect and neither is Jin Xia.  But together, they work well together, and they can build a life together.  

And that is key about love - you have to continue building that life together despite obstacles and pain, because not every day will be sunny.

And with respect to Lu Yi and Jin Xia, I definitely see their building a life together, just as I did with Minglan and Gu Tingye.  

It is hard to write a drama that persuades the viewers to believe that this OTP will last beyond the fading screen - because real love requires you to love the warts too, not just the shiny, beautiful parts.

This is the first drama I have watched both both actors, and I am impressed with Allen Ren's ability to communicate with his eyes.  Zhang Bin Bin tried very  hard to do this in The King's Woman, but he did not quite pull it off - of course, Allen Ren did not acquire this ability overnight - he is 30 whereas Zhang Bin Bin is only around 25.  But I have to say that generally, Allen Ren seems to fit a "uniform-driven" drama, whether it be Under the Power, or the Autumn Cicada that was supposed to come out 3 years ago.  There is a sharpness about him that makes sense for him to play the hard, cynical character with a heart.  His smirk/tilted smile is one of the few that works on the screen - he has a "je ne sais quoi" to him that most actors cannot pull off, and that is why they cynical roles fit him.  He reminds me of many of the actors from the Golden Age of Hollywood who carried this protective attitude well.

And Tan Songyun played her role well - from playful, goofy, serious, "don't mess with me," to loving, conflicted, and caring.  Her eyes and impish smile were the best part of her - she is pretty enough, but her aura is warm and inviting.  She invites you to enjoy the joke with her.

I also watched some of the BTS, and what I appreciate about both actors - they are not the most beautiful and charismatic, but they know how to evolve into their roles - they are actually acting, as opposed to being themselves dressed in costume.  Both are rather ordinary looking compared to some of the stars in cdrama land, but when they taken on a role, they both become the character and allow us to experience the character's emotional arc and evolution.

And by the way, how Lu Yi gazes at Jin Xia - I have seen that before in real life - it does exist, but it does not happen often.

To quote one of the songs from The Destiny of the White Snake (another Allen Ren role but he did not quite pull it off there... and for some reason, I have a hard time with Yang Zi dramas generally), ""you are the heartbeat that never stopped in the last lifetime/you are the mark on my chest in the next life/before seeing the outcome/how could I have forgotten about you?

For those of you who celebrate Valentine's Day, remember that every day should be celebrating your loved ones.

Thank you for reading.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:41 PM, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

This OTP chemistry is killing me. 

I think of all Tan Sonyun's ML, she has the most chemistry with Allen Ren. Maybe it's Allen's electrifying eyes and Seven's puppy love eyes. :P:lol: Both simply brings out the best acting of each other. 

@cheekychipmunk_stv yes, of all his co-stars, Allen Ren seems to have the best chemistry with Tan Songyun.  For a casting director, I wonder how they determine who will have the best chemistry with whom, because how the camera will capture their charisma (or lack thereof) is very hard to predict.  

On 1/24/2020 at 6:57 PM, lizzieyen said:

It feels like there 

Hide contents

There was something that happened after the kiss (And it was edited) because LuYi’s reaction was quite incongruent . It’s one thing to deny the hairpiece but he actually sounded colder than he usually is to JinXia and he made her sad. That’s not really how he rolls! He maybe proud but no reason why he would pretend that it didn’t happen as he wasn’t drunk and he gifted her a special made hair pin (her name was engraved on it!)

Ren Jia Lun is such a good actor. In episode 33 

Hide contents

When he was happy after gifting her the hairpin, his happiness was that of a male adult in love. Totally different from him being happy after completing an assignment and being recognized by the king or the completely innocent happiness when he was 8 years old. Different look in the eyes and smile! 

@angelangie @lizzieyen Allen Ren will be one to watch because he seems to be an actual actor, as opposed to a celebrity who pretends to be an actor.  How he is in real life, and how he can transform into his character - that is the definition of an actor.

The eyes are the gateway to the soul - so if you can act with your eyes, then you are an actor.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:30 AM, LuMNaL said:

I wait for the drama under the power so long...and it didn't disappoint at all. Everything is perfect, the actors and there character, the story, costumes...

The other drama which I waited, was the pillow book...but when they announced the actors/actress for this drama, I have not a very good feeling. And this "bad" feeling came up again, when I saw the first 3 eps. I have to quit....for me Vengo Gau and Dilraba Dilmurat have only the good looking, but there acting is so strange (for me really bad). 

While Allen Ren and Seven Tan are not the most handsome/beautiful actor and actress, they reflect the character in novel. That is my own opinion. 

@LuMNaL so I am sorry but DD as an actress, lord, she cannot act.  The King's Woman was ruined because she had only 2 facial expression - smiling and crying.  I refuse to watch anything with her in it that involves acting, but I will gaze at a still magazine shoot of her, because she is gorgeous.

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to slow down my watching pace since subs has yet to finish all 55 eps (now only up to 44, right?) 

I'm at ep 39 where Yan Shi Fan is taking Lin Ling.

Question: did Yan Shi Fan really love Lin Ling or is this his twisted idea of loving and owning someone who hurt him. I mean with her taking his eye, in a weird way, he becomes obsessed with her and mistakenly think it's 'love'.  :blink:

I dont mind spoilers.. :P:P

14 hours ago, angelangie said:

im not sure why however YangZi is always the cutie pie types

I saw a clip of the White Snake drama with YangZi and Allen in it and she was acting cutie like in the clip and I find her face fits the type but because she's rather big boned and not as petite as other actresses, I find it a bit off.  I haven't watch any of her dramas but in the clips I have seen of her, her acting seems fine to me. 

@penelop3, I think YSF really does love LL.  He just doesn't do love like a normal person.   He probably would not have left her in peace that long after the damage she did to his eye if he didn't really love her.  He doesn't love selflessly so he wants her to be with him by fair or foul means:).

Wow i like to read all insight and opinion about actor and actress in. Imho, DD act really good in TMOPB but for PB...i have watched several but somehow i did not get same feeling in TMOPB. DD acted really good in there but in PB..i found less love feeling. For YZ, i watched her several dramas including DOWS and AOL and two others dramas. For me, she can act, and very good at it, and not only cute act but she can also acted sad and fierce in convincing way. Thats way her dramas are quite popular. For Allen, i like his acting, first time seen him in DOWS and i love his character. But his acted in UTP, win him over. I really like how he acted as LuYi, not only in his expression but also his gestures and personality. And yes i blown away by his act, when he was poison and he become 13, 8, and 15? Or 16? Then going back to 22...i feel the different smile and gesture and somehow he really cute as a 8 years old kid. :wub: ( i watched this episode several time and become my fav episode so far :D. And seven Tan is pretty as jinxia. I like the way she looked at Luyi with her big eyes. Sometime full of admiration ..sometime full of question. (Yes, Luyi are such a complicated person, jinxia...we understand too :sweatingbullets:). And at last, i really like YanShiFan. First because he, one of antagonist who just bad guy but with style...and clever, i don't know how to describe him, but he not evil for sake to be an evil. But he just the way he is. A bad guy who always have his way. And more important he one of trigger for our OTP become close to each other. :wub:

One in the boat and the other in wedding episode. LOL:D

10 hours ago, polar15 said:

i watched this episode several time and become my fav episode so far 

Me too, especially the part where he was afraid of thunder and had to sleep on the same bed as JX and XX stumbled upon them came morning.  I just can't stop laughing whenever I see JX using her foot to keep XX away from LY:D.  Also the part where the pretend to still be amnesic LY spit on his shirtsleeves to try to be helpful and wipe XX's face after he got XX's face all wet with the water from the training bucket. 

@HopelesslyHooked, I think it's a list ranking the view counts of dramas that are currently available for internet streaming on sites like IQY.  UTP was not aired on TV but streamed on the internet only.  UTP has released all the episodes while others like PB still have new episodes scheduled for release each week.  I think UTP still have decent view counts because perhaps some haven't finished viewing all the episodes, some are rewatching and some have just discovered UTP from the good review of others who have seen it.

@LuMNaL, the video you just posted is very good quality.  Can you make one that has all the funny moments and will you take request like the moments I listed above in this post?   Thanks for the effort you put in your video.

Archived