[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Under the Power 锦衣之下

sugarplum892

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m re-watching episode 3, and I forgot how funny the scene of Da Yang teasing Jin Xia when he saw that she was washing Da Ren’s clothes. I tried to guess what he was trying to say with his tease but couldn’t make out what he was trying to imply. :lol::cry: lol 

I'd just finished watching the drama. The sweet ending was too short, I want more! :bawling:

-I love how they (mostly she) talks about money all the time LOL

-I love how they have so many sweet moments together even before they have feeling towards each other

-Qi Furen was so cool. She only had a few scenes but it leaves a strong impression, makes me totally admire her.

-So sad for Xiao Lan... :tears:

I definitely gonna watch the drama again, especially 8 years old Luyi's part :wub:

I want to watch RJL & TSY’s other dramas that are coming out, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to move on yet. lol I swear, no other historical look on RJL would ever match him as much as his LuYi hairstyles. I mean, RJL looks good in anything but his DaRen hairstyles are the best on him and that’s on period. :lol:

The sucky part about c-dramas is that it’s quite rare to find a lot of co-stars to star in the same drama again, but I’m still going to wait for a future drama of our dear 一下cp. I hope someone cast them in a romantic, modern drama again. Pleaseee!! :bawling: lol

With all the dramas that's dropping right now, i feel myself coming back to just this one. LOL.  I adore these two so much.   They really do have so many sweet and cute scenes.  The bed scene is still my best. ( the one on the boat) hehehe. I seriously can get lost in LuYi's eyes.  that boy have such amazing eye acting.   But then when he was 13 and 8 years old was just too cute also.  Such puppy eyes.  Fan girl mode on all over again. hehe.

4 hours ago, Welcome Home said:

With all the dramas that's dropping right now, i feel myself coming back to just this one. LOL.  I adore these two so much.   They really do have so many sweet and cute scenes.  The bed scene is still my best. ( the one on the boat) hehehe. I seriously can get lost in LuYi's eyes.  that boy have such amazing eye acting.   But then when he was 13 and 8 years old was just too cute also.  Such puppy eyes.  Fan girl mode on all over again. hehe.

Me too. me too... I've been rewatching a lot of scenes for like, I don't know, ten times? :D My husband thinks I'm totally crazy and maybe he's right!

Episode 13 is one of my favourite ones. Frankly speaking though, I appreciated more the part where they are on "business trip" in the south. When they go back to the Capital (around episode 46?) and the tragedy begins they don't even seem the same characters. We lose all the humour, that is a strong point of this drama. The first episodes when they meet for the first time and argue with each other, betting and fighting on a case are very hilarious, as well as all the times when Jin Xia pretends to cry inventing all those unbelievable stories (Lu Yi's expressions are priceless)! :joy:

I hope they will make a season 2 or at least a movie of their life after marriage. That would be wonderful! :wub:

On 1/27/2020 at 5:32 PM, AgnesLi said:

Can u translate too please? Really curious about it

I am late to the drama, but if you would the novel to translate, you could request on the Novelupdate website to see if anyone pick up to translate.

I'm obsessed with drama and I seriously can't move on. I'm like screenshotting scenes and just photoshopping them out of fun now. 

Also; i'm trying to translate this novel, if anyone want to help me in term of editing, it would be great. 

2 hours ago, AwkwarDerp said:

I'm obsessed with drama and I seriously can't move on. I'm like screenshotting scenes and just photoshopping them out of fun now. 

Welcome to the craziness! ^____'

Those are the collateral effects of Lu Yi's meaningful stares and Jin Xia's cute and funny attitude!

On a second note, I would need and explanation about names. Several times they call Lu Yi Lu Jing Li. Does Jing Li mean registrar? It is not clear in the subs. Also Yan Si Fan is called at times Xiao Ge Lao. Is it some sort of title? Not speaking or reading Chinese is hard! 

Besides, between our main couple, from a certain point Lu Yi starts calling Jin Xia by her first name but she never does the same. Even at the end, while running towards him, she calls him Da Ren. Why?

Thanks so much in advance for any kind of explanation! 

10 minutes ago, mspilgrims said:

Welcome to the craziness! ^____'

Those are the collateral effects of Lu Yi's meaningful stares and Jin Xia's cute and funny attitude!

On a second note, I would need and explanation about names. Several times they call Lu Yi Lu Jing Ling. Does Jing Ling mean registrar? It is not clear in the subs. Also Yan Shin Fan is called at times Xiao Ge Lao. Is it some sort of title? Not speaking or reading Chinese is hard! 

Besides, between our main couple, from a certain point Lu Yi starts calling Jin Xia by her first name but she never does the same. Even at the end, while running towards him, she calls him Da Ren. Why?

Thanks so much I'm advance for any kind of explanation! 

Man, i was already obsessed with this waiting for it like a year ago, I didn't think I'll be this upset. 

I'm assuming Lu Jing Li is like his full title, because whenever people introduced him, if you re-watch episode one, they introduced him as "Lu Yi, Lu Jing Li" 

I can't remember the Yan Si Fan one, but i'm going to highly guessed that it just how some people referred him as. Like certain position have different titles and how they indicate others. 

In term of why Jinxia never called Lu Yi by his first name, first it is out of respect, because at the end he's still her boss and all. 2. It is something she's highly used to, Lu Yi at time called her constable Yuan or Jinxia, whenever he talked to her or to others. If you noticed Jinxia, even when introducing him to others, she still referred to him as Lu Daren. It just term of respect. 

I find it funny how he’s also called 陆经历 because “经历” means experience/hardships. Totally define our dear 大人. :lol: But I definitely don’t know what it means in terms of name meanings.

In the beginning of the drama, JX often called LY by his first name until her master scolded her for calling LY by his first name. Ever since then she would only call him by his title. I believe it also became a habit. There were only a few instances post that scene that she called him by his first name in front of him. One of those scenes were when they had to fake sleep together on the boat. She called his name a few times. Other than that, she barely called him by his first name. I don’t mind it, but it would’ve been nice to see her call him by his name at the end. We all know LY wanted her to call him something else other than “Da Ren” base on that one scene. :lol:  

There was a Twitter account that asked if anyone was translating this novel awhile back. I did inform her that no one has picked it up yet. She said she’ll let me know if she does decide to pick it up. Her twitter account is @/elentiyalae

She’s currently translating another book, so I’m not sure how long until she picks up UTP. Nonetheless, please do go ask and support her so we can get an Eng. translatated version of UTP too! 

On Douyin (and weibo), they’re nitpicking a lot of flaws from the drama and it totally ruined everything for me. :lol: For example the lip biting part. It wasn’t them, not that I assumed it was them in the first place. I’m to the fans like, y’all really trying to tell me to get out of my delusional thinking with these scenes. lol 

Hi, been reading the wonderful updates from you all. Ever since this drama was announced and saw the posters and brief description 2 years ago was waiting forever for it to broadcast.

The drama did not disappoint, still having withdrawal symptoms and need to come back to watch the drama clips and read readers updates. Cannot get enough of Allen Ran and Seven Tan interactions. Their acting was so good and their character personality I really adore to bits. Han Dong (Yan Shi Fan) and Han Cheng Yu (Lan Dao Heng) to me really stood out as well.

I can stand the bad background scenes but the overused on the eye close ups made me wish to cut those section out.

For 陆经历, looking up on the sites and doing some online translations, it states 经历 is a position in the Embroidered Uniform Guard during the Ming dynasty.

http://www.qulishi.com/article/201912/385290.html

To add on further information to our Lu Da Ren’s title, he was later promoted to “Qian Shi” which is grade 4 ranking. So he was referred to as Lu Qian Shi in the later part of the drama.

Similar to Japanese and Korean cultures, people of a senior ranking are often addressed by their titles. Eg. “Manager X”, “Director Y”, Captain Z”, etc. Even at home, some people refer to their wives as “Mother of ABC (child’s name) “ ><“. This is something rather foreign to Westerners. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much to you all for the explanations about names. It was very helpful to me! :wub:

About the flaws of the drama, there are tons of them. The biting lip scene and the kiss scene are not well executed since you can see that they are so fake... This annoyed me a little but I thought that it was probably stated in the agreement with the actors (maybe for both of them). Nonetheless the other parts were so good that I didn't mind too much. You can see the love between the main couple even without skinship and that is a confirmation of the great chemistry between Allen Ren and Seven Tan and their wonderful acting. :)

Just one more question about titles. How would you correctly translate "Da Ren"? In the subs on youtube they translate it either as "Sir" or "Your Excellency". Can we consider it a form of address to an official from a subordinate (f.i. soldier/captain)? In that case "sir" would be correct. I'm sorry, these differences fascinate me so I'd like to deepen my knowledge! Thanks again!!!

@mspilgrims The title Da Ren is usually used to address a high ranking official. It doesn’t necessarily have to be from a subordinate to a superior. Sometimes the common people may use that to address any officer they meet on the streets, to denote respect. So, “Sir” would be an accurate translation. “Your excellency” or “Your lordship”  sounds like they should be used on people from nobility, like Dukes or Princes, which certainly does not apply to our Lu Da Ren. 

In the case of JX, I think she is too used to calling him Da Ren, and it’s like her term of endearment for him even after they have progressed in their relationship. Cute ;)

Archived