[Drama 2017-2018] Backflow / Reverse, 역류

0ly40

Episode 62 Translation/Recap Part 1:  (Minutes 0.00 to 11.00)

IY is quite concerned that JH must have seen that text from the woman who was giving her the baby ultrasound pictures.

JH in in his room, and remembers his brother's fight with IY when he said that she wouldn't have given him the time of the day, had the baby not happened. DB comes in and he asks what that fight was about. DB says it was just his being drunk and getting angry. He is apologetic to IY.  DB asks if something is bother in JH.  Is it because of that accident re-investigation? JH says that is also in his mind. Nothing serious here.

IY gets a call from her mom. Nothing new here either. Mom tells her about the air-conditioner song and dance. SG also talks about buying a house some day. She will do her best with her side-dish business. She wants IY to work too hard. She should live for her own happiness. Find a good man, date, marry and have kids too. Her dad would only want that.

HM wakes up with a nightmare of finding SJ dead in the work shed, and the words from DB that JM being trouble if he stays at the foundation.  She wakes up and finds that BS is downstairs. He is unable to sleep. She makes him some tea. She tells him about JH's plan to go to the US. She tried to dissuade him but it's not working. Just as she was going to say something about DB, she was interrupted by DB who is also sleepless.

BS gets a call from his doctor who says BS should exercise. BS jokes about his nagging. But that is not why he called, says the doc. The new drugs research people had called him. He thankful for their research but he is not in favor of allowing BS to be a clinical trial subject. He feels it could become problematic. BS looks like he was not aware that somebody (either HM or YR) had inititated this.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 62 Translation/Recap Part 2:  (Minutes 11.00 to 21.00)

JH recalls the discussion at home when IY showed the baby ultrasound picture, when DB said that he missed the visit due to a parking garage incident, and IY talked about an app for busy dad's who miss Ob/Gyn visits. JH gets up and goes to the hospital where IY supposedly had the miscarriage. We see him walking out. He was told that she only had treatment for a twisted ankle; there was no miscarriage.

JM come into HM's office. Today is not his volunteer day but he was there because the offcie chief wanted to meet the young guys. As the office chief was busy, JM took care of a diary of their activities or something, and he gives it to HM.  He turns to leave and acts like he has a head twitch or something (he is probably acting it, as we never saw him have any such issues). She sits him down and asks what it was. He sometimes gets dizzy, he says. It happens when he works hard a bit. She asks if he would like to not work and rest a while. He says he us fine. She again asks how the assault happened. JM tells her that he was going to find the criminal behind his dad's death when it happened. HM: "A criminal behind your dad's death? Did he not pass away from asthma?". He says it's true that he passed away from the illness, but he has a suspicion on whether it was indeed so. There was an item that was left at the shed, and he was going to meet the owner of that thing (he didn't say that it was a phone). HM asks if he caught anybody. He says he didn't. He thinks finding any culprit will be tough.

DB calls CG into his office, to say that he had pressed HM to not have JM work at the foundation. CG: "Then, does she also know about the world phone?". DB says she doesn't know that he used a world phone, or that CG was involved in it. He asks if CG can check on JM's activities for a while. CG doesn't say a yes, so DB says that it's fine if he doesn't want to. It's just that he only wanted somebody he trusts to do it. Then CG agrees to do it. But CG has a question too. CG: "That world phone with Kim Jae Min that day... Why did you want it taken away?". DB says nicely, that it is actually better for both of them, for CG to not know why. Now DB has a question too. Was CG there at the site of his real dad's crime scene? CG says no. DB asks how he found out then. CG says that he saw it in the news!  DB then invites him to join him for a dinner tonight.

Ms. Ha and Mr. Yun are examining their skin tones. She thinks he is paying more attention to his looks these days, and is curious. Mr. Jo thinks he has found somebody at the showroom. Mr. Yun denies it, and calls IY to go with him to the showroom. But JH comes and says he will go today with IY instead of Mr. Yun, and they leave.

As they walk, JH gives a protracted description of how he thought women usually are after a miscarriage, and how IY is just not like that. She was all recovered in no time. IY tries to give feeble excuses like it was harder to just stay in bed, but that gets nowhere. He also thinks that she was not like a pregnant woman even before. She never seemed to worry of the baby and watch her health for the baby's sake. He cuts off her excuse, and says "That's not it. You just seemed different". he gives her a knowing look, and walks away saying "let's go, we will be late".  She has a pretty sure sense now, that he read the text message.

YR comes to the office and tells IY to watch her health, as IY says she still has work to do. YR thinks that she'll make DB worry. She goes into JH's office, to tell him that BS and HM are out eating, so they can eat out too. She would like some French food tonight. She sees the indoor-sky place tickets that he also got. She wants to go there.

IY is about to leave with DB, but gets a call from Ji Yeon. She is in some trouble and needs IY to help. DB asks who Ji Yeon is. A younger girl she knows, says IY. Sounds urgent, so she needs to go there.  DB is disappointed because they were supposed to have dinner with CG. IY leaves, saying they can start on the dinner. She will come and join as soon as she is done.

Episode 62 Translation/Recap Part 3:  (Minutes 21.00 to Episode End)

Ji Yeon is waiting by the street, for IY.  She is scared to tell her dad. She is getting threatened by some oppa with whom she was doing online chatting. She had sent him her picture when he asked. But he keeps saying scary things. He may tell the whole school. He wants her to take a taxi and go to his house, but she is scared. What if he comes to her home now? IY comforts her that it is a "bad oppa". She will inform the police and make him not cause JY trouble. JY doesn't want to report to police because her dad will learn of it then. IY thinks her dad should know. Is she scared of her dad, IY asks. She says that rather she just hates her dad. Ever since her mom died, he is always sitting in his room, angry and drinking. IY makes excuses for her dad, saying he must be just hurting after her mom died. It is not because he doesn't love JY. He loves her too much, so seeing her must be making him hurt even more. Just wait a little, and Daddy will get back to her.

Just as IY says she will take her to Dad, the dad (Mr. Han Gyeong Taek) shows up. He yells at IY for using her daughter to get to him. He doesn't want to have anything to do with Taeyeon. GT (Gyeong Taek): "The one who was clutching at any straw, got slapped on the face, huh? It's not so long back that I had to cover it all up and leave. How dare you even mention Taeyeon to me? Ultrasound drill or whatever... I know nothing about it. So don't ever show up in front of me". He leaves with JY, and IY nods to JY not to worry. IY gets a call from DB who is still in the office. She puts on her charms and asks, "would you mind a date a with me now?"

YR is at the ski place with JH. She tells him about learning skating and biking from her dad. She cried and troubled him, holding his hands. She might do the same with JH now, so he better be prepared. He smiles. He brings up her hospital trip with IY. Why didn't she call everybody? She gives the answer that she didn't want to trouble him and DB who were at the Hanbit Apts announcement. JH asks why she didn't call HM.  Because IY went in for surgery and she didn't know what was going on. JH seems to buy that lie. They go in and try to skate on the ice rink.

IY also goes to the same place, with DB. She says she wanted to make amends for running out like that, as he says he was peeved. She asks him if he knows that he is always worried about how he feels. He didn't know. She again puts on her charms and says that love is like that... He says she needs to smile, for him to smile too. [See, it is not just me who thinks IY's has bewitching smile!].  She says she doesn't know skating, but thought he would teach her. He also is not too good. "What the heck, let's try".  They go in.

JH helps YR with her skating shoes, and she thinks to herself, "Right this moment, if I weren't a fake Chae Yu Ran but a real one, how great would it feel?".  She sees DB and IY come in, and decides to grabs JH and kiss him.  Then she leans on to him. She knew that IY was watching. DB is surprised that they all met there. JH tells him of the tickets. Now DB knows why IY thought of this place. DB goes to get their shoes, after confirming that IY's size is 23 cm. Awkward moment with the other three!  Then IY and DB starts skating.

YR asks JH if something is bothering him. She says she gets worried often when she doesn't know what JH is thinking. She claims she is one who shows her emotions. He says sorry. She says it must be great to be DB and IY. "They seem to just click, without even trying". They watch the other pair, but decide to leave. JH is hungry, and YR feels that they are interfering in the other couple's date.

Later at home, IY gets a text from JH: "I need to ask you something. Come to the park near the house". She goes out there.

JH: "Explain to me".

IY: "Explain what?".

JH: "Must I tell you? Kim In Yeong, I don't know to what extent the truth goes, and to what extent the lies go".

IY: "What are you trying to say?"

JH: "The pregnancy and the miscarriage are both lies, right?"

IY: "I don;t know what you are saying".  (She turns to leave, but he holds her back)

JH: "I got it confirmed by the hospital, that the miscarriage after the stairwell fall that day was a lie."

[End of Episode]

So, at the end of Ep 62,  IY has been finally caught by JH.  A little earlier than I had expected, actually. Now it should get very interesting.

Also, now some more things are slowly becoming clear. Based on the conversation between DB and HM earlier, then DB and Director Kim today, and then HM and CG today, it seems that none of them knew the whole story of the death and the assault!!... 

DB seems to have been doing some ultrasound drill stuff that he thought (or it looks like that so far) was with somebody in China.  The world phone was with him once, so DB got CG to get it back once he found that the cops found it at the site and gave it to JM.  CG didn't know why DB wanted the phone back, so he was not aware of that being left at the death scene.  So CG probably hadn't taken HM to the work shed that day and HM went by herself. 

The assault on JM seems to have been mistake and not ordered by DB, because DB was unaware of it when CG and DB talked outside the house once before. I think CG got a thug to just slap JM and get the phone, not expecting him to be unconscious for months.  That explains why he was tracking JM.  It was not because either HM or DB asked him to. He was doing it out of his own guilty conscience, and also to see if JM would remember anything later.  

CG didn't tell HM about the assault, because HM told DB that he found out by accident (I think she overheard it when she saw SG talking way back the first time she tried to go to their house after getting an address for it).

HM doesn't know about DB using any world phone, based on her reaction when JM said that something was left at the work shed.  DB also says that she doesn't know about the world phone, so she never saw DB use it (or didn't notice it). 

So how did SJ die?... Crazy stuff.

And there is no hint at all, so far, about why HM and DB do not want JH to know that SJ died.  They both clearly know something about his death, for sure.  Did they actually get his cornea to be transplanted to JH (is it even possible? And how would the IY family not know if something like that was done)?   This part is the deepest mystery so far.

I am really indebted to you @jayakris for your translation. The story had a slow boring start but it's picking up after the half mark. If not for your explanation, I would be in the dark as to the plot. I knew the pregnancy was a lie but was amazed that she could lie her way into the family using that excuse. IY is going to get hurt if she keeps it secret from JH. Today's episode seem to indicate a stern conversation between the pair. So DB had a part in pushing JH off the cliff you think ..? Who is DB real dad ..? Does JH knows that DB is not his blood brother ..?

I have been keeping quiet until we get closer to the current episodes.. But I can't stop myself.

Spoiler

JH did in deed bust IY's pregnancy and miscarriage lie at the end of the episode tonight. IY needs to come clean with her reasons why not sure if that is going to help what she tried to do although she was not intentionally trying to hurt DB but it can be misunderstood and her in a bad light with JH if she does not tell him why she did things this way.

So now what happens.. how will JH react to this situation.

Am I the only one who thinks that YR and DB definitely belong together as JH and IY belong with one another? Every time I see these two couples I see them together. I am hoping at the end that is what happened.

JH knows he was pushed off the cliff. A flash back showed DB running away. Not sure if he did it or if he was running from whoever he saw that did. To be honest I can see him doing it. His thought process is that he is trying to be pushed out and I can only guess that later when all is said and done he will realize how wrong he was.

@jayakris

Its very weird that DB , CG and HM all know some or part of what happened back then. So who could be the real culprit of why IY's father died that day? Was it just a stressful situation caused the man to die? Or did someone hurt him? Did who ever came to see him leave and the man died after that and it was not really foul play? So JM was not suppose to be hurt that badly but the situation became dire and he ended up in a coma for months. Whoever hit him did not know his own strength or hit hi at just the right angle.

So did someone steal her dads' Idea and the reason why it did not work is because he perhaps kept part of it back or was not finished with creating a working model?

So many questions and weird mysteries..

Thanks for the continued recaps..

On 2/7/2018 at 9:52 AM, shebagirl said:

I am really indebted to you @jayakris for your translation. The story had a slow boring start but it's picking up after the half mark. If not for your explanation, I would be in the dark as to the plot.

You're welcome. It's been fun to translate. It has really picked up speed. Some more mystery details got sorta revealed in Ep 63 that got broadcast a few hours ago.  I am surprised at how fast it is going.

IY is going to get hurt if she keeps it secret from JH. Today's episode seem to indicate a stern conversation between the pair.

Yes, she couldn't keep it a secret from JH because he had solid evidence from the hospital that she never had any miscarriage. It seems like he is not causing her big trouble just yet, based on E63 that I just watched.

So DB had a part in pushing JH off the cliff you think ..?

We don't know yet who actually pushed him off, but it must be DB himself, as no hints has been given that anybody else was there but DB at the cliff.

Who is DB real dad ..? Does JH knows that DB is not his blood brother ..?

The real dad is Pak Du Sik who committed suicide in prison. CG confirmed that to DB.  No, JH has no idea that DB is not his blood brother, as the parents did such an unbelievable job of raising him like their own son (even if the piece of excrement shows no gratitude for that; instead he does incredibly hurtful things to the family)

On 2/7/2018 at 11:09 AM, Ldy Gmerm said:

Am I the only one who thinks that YR and DB definitely belong together as JH and IY belong with one another? Every time I see these two couples I see them together. I am hoping at the end that is what happened.

I also would love to see JH and IY together.  Not sure about YR and DB though.  YR certainly deserves somebody much better than DB.  In fact, I really like YR's character.

But I don't know how the story can be taken in a direction where IY is back with JH.  Perhaps it would require JH to realize that his brother is the cause of every problem, and to join hands with IY (which means, he would know her reasons for the stupid plan she made) to find out what is going wrong in Taeyeon.  Maybe he and IY will go up against DB and HM (with HM being threatened by DB, a good hint of which is there in Ep 63).  Perhaps YR will dump DB and help JH and IY in that fight against DB.  In the end DB gets caught, loses everything and there will only be YR with her true love there for him.  Just a possible angle of movement for the story.

On 2/7/2018 at 11:09 AM, Ldy Gmerm said:

Its very weird that DB , CG and HM all know some or part of what happened back then. So who could be the real culprit of why IY's father died that day? Was it just a stressful situation caused the man to die? Or did someone hurt him? Did who ever came to see him leave and the man died after that and it was not really foul play?

Not sure who killed him but...

Spoiler

at the end of Ep 63 which I will translate soon, DB tells HM that she should remember that they are "accomplices" (or co-criminals) in IY's dad case.  Did not say anything clearly to indicate that they killed him, but that they were together in whatever happened.  Also, HM was aware that some evidence on the SJ case disappeared when JM was hit.  DB then tells her that the hit was to get a world phone from JM. I don't think HM had knowledge of any world phone till then (at least we've seen nothing to indicate that she did, and we saw DB telling CG that she didn't know of the phone, in E62).  So how exactly HM and DB are involved in the death (or a murder) is unclear.  But DB reminded HM that all three of them, HM, DB and JH too would've been in trouble, had he not done what he did.  How JH was involved, or could be in trouble, is even more unclear.  But DB has said that to HM 2-3 times now.  At the same time, JH still doesn't even know that SJ is dead!!   Talk about a mystery...

Episode 63 Translation/Recap Part 1:  (Minutes 0.00 to 11.00)

Once JH says that he confirmed from the hospital that she had had no miscarriage, and asks why she created a fake pregnancy, she says she has nothing to say. He asks if the Chae SongHwa he knew was this kind of a woman. IY: "I told you, that I am not Chae SongHwa". JH: "Right, you are Kim In Yeong. So, is KIY a woman would do this without even any guilt? An awful woman who would lie to a man who loves her that he was carrying his baby, and as though that wasn't enough, that the baby died?". He yells and asks why she did this. She gives some excuses that it was to be with DB and that she was scared of being alone in the world without somebody like him. She didn't need a man she had to protect, or would become a burden to her, or would lean on her. Rather, she needed one who could protect her and keep her safe. IY: "You think that is even a reason for this?" She says it is, for her - "I'm an orphan, I'm poor, and have nobody backing me, after all".

Then she softens a bit. She admits that her scheme was bad. But she thought she could marry him and quickly have a baby. She had no other way to be with DB. JH: "So, duping my brother, the family, and me, means nothing at all?". IY: "To try to say that I was in hardship, will only be an excuse at this point, right?". JH: "You're so shameless". She begs JH to not tell DB and his parents. JH: "For you to keep deceiving them, you mean? How long do you think this secret will last?". The fact that she was SongHwa got exposed, and this will come out too at some point. She says it will, but it shouldn't come out right now.

IY holds JH and begs, "please help. After everybody got hurt about a miscarriage, they shouldn't get hurt again now, you know". JH: "Does that even make any sense? Who is it that cause them that hurt?". JH continues, "Yu Ran had known this, right? She went with you to the hospital". IY says that it was only at the hospital that YR heard that she wasn't pregnant, was really shocked, and was helping only out of no choice when she begged her to say that it was a miscarriage. Anyway, JH has had it. He starts to say that she takes people's hearts so lightly, but walks away in disgust without even finishing the line. She asks from behind - "You won't... tell, right?".  He says there are no permanent secrets in the world. No matter how much she tries to cover up, it will come out sometime. He leaves. She drops down to the ground, in tears [We hear the song "I cry... in my sorrow", and I laugh, thinking it should be "I cry... that I'm stupid"]

CH is spying on DM and JM for any hanky-panky. SG slaps her, saying that they are only like brother and sister, and that she shouldn't give them ideas. CH doesn't agree. The usual useless talk from the aunt, about what they will do once SG gets her kids married off etc. Skipping.

SG was right. The aunt has indeed got DM going. DM thought JM was going on a date and talks like she is jealous. He finally says there was no date. She asks him if he can't stop volunteering at the foundation. JM thinks the CEO there (HM) seems to be a good woman. DM looks like she is not so sure.

BS asks HM why she asked for him to be on a new drug's clinical trial. He isn't in favor of it. He just wants to spend his remaining time in a meaningful way. She says she is not so fine with it. She wants to try whatever she can. Not for his sake, but for hers. She just wants him to be with her for a long time.

Episode 63 Translation/Recap Part 2:  (Minutes 11.00 to 21.30)

HM is making juice for BS, that surprised Maid Nam. HM says she will handle those things for BS from now on. She wants Ms. Nam to adjust the diet for BS.

Ms. Ha asks IY about why she looks worried, and not saying anything. Mr. Yun says that IY never talks too much anyway. The talkative one is somebody else. Ms Ha also knows who that is. Mr. Jo keeps talking to himself, proving their contention. Even IY laughs.

IY gets a call from JY's phone. It is Han Gyeong Taek. He heard from his daughter (about how IY helped). He wants to meet.

A flower-boy guy shows up at the shop, trying to find the singer-dancer with CH at the contest. He is interested in her. Just as aunt tries to hook him up with DM, SG starts talking about DM meeting her boyfriend. The flower-boy gets disappointed and leaves. Now SG seems to have bought CH's talk to her earlier that DM would be a great daughter-in-law, or what? SG says that she was only watching out for DM though. [Am I the only one who thinks that this is a bit weird? Though I suspected whether DM was interested in JM in the first couple of episodes when I didn't know that JM was basically a school boy, I later got used to DM being a big sister, who is at least some 8-10 years older. A romance between them just feels wrong!]

DB talks to Director Kim (who is in charge of overseas projects) about a position for JH in their US branch. Dir. Kim thinks there is somebody who actually wants to probably return, and if he can give him some good position here. That position in the US will suit JH. DB asks him to somehow create a position there. DB asks about Han Gyeong Taek (GT). Dir. Kim thinks he will never open his mouth. No need to worry, but he will meet him.

IY meets GT. He has called and found that the number on her card was fake. She apologizes. She is not from Taeyeon, but is somebody who has a situation, and needs to know of the ultrasound drill. He says it wasn't his idea. His superior called him saying he had found some idea when he was on China trip, and wanted to develop the idea under GT's name. He wanted to send the item to the research group. They found over a period that the technique would not work. He asked to stop the project many times. Every time, his boss would ask him to stay quiet. He doesn't know the reason but even the Chairman was showing support. Though he knew it was not working, Taeyeon was even giving the technology extensive publicity. Briefly the Taeyeon stocks went up too, but he was uneasy. In the end, he was blamed for the site-test failures and for all the losses and research expenses. He needed money for his wife's surgery then, so he kept his mouth shut and went out. Now he has only his shop and Ji Yeon left with him. He tells IY that it would be better for her to be careful, whatever she is on to. IY asks who that earlier boss was. He says it is the Overseas Projects Director Kim In Taek.  (I think IY doesn't know who that is)

YR tells JH not to work late. BS wanted to have dinner with them, but she will cancel it, as JH has work to do. She wants to tell her grandma that they may go to the US, and wants JH to tell his parents that he will be going to the US branch. He caught on to that - "did I say that I was going to the US branch?" (he hadn't. he had only said he wanted to study more and all that to her!)... But YR quickly caught on to getting caught too - "isn't that what you meant when you told me? I thought so" (Ah, she is smart!).  JH says okay. They should get everybody's approval and speak clearly about what they are planning.

DB asks YR if he has found any dirt on the Finance Director Jeon Sang Jun. DB thinks he has moved some money out. She hasn't found anything yet, but thinks that something will come out. DB asks if it was to deliberately show him that she "did that last night" (the ice rink kiss, I suppose). She asks "did what?". He laughs and says she is doing a good job. But he warns her to not get too caught up with JH and make a mistake. She says that it is her part to take care of a mistake, get kicked out, or beg for forgiveness from JH (basically repeating a line DB had once said to her). "Boss, as long as you don't get caught in it, it is fine, right?". DB says she is somehow mistaken. If she makes a mistake, he fails too. He won't forgive any mistakes after 1 year int this plan. She says coyly, that she is also thinking "why not just stay with JH for ever, after doing all this". DB laughs and says, "if you can do that, heck, go for it!".

Now she tells him, "you are a terrible man". DB: "And you're the accomplice to a terrible man!". He says it's fine for her to be with JH as long as needed, but she shouldn't fall in love. That is against the agreement. YR says there was no such contract clause. DB: "The keeping secrets clause. You don't remember? Women in love will thoughtlessly let out secrets". She goes - "Oh, and men are different in that?"  (I am sure YR just didn't like the male-chauvinist line from a guy who is head over heels for a woman who just smiles at him and lies through her teeth). She continues - "A man smitten by love should be careful too. One may not see the cliff edge that is right under the feet".

Episode 63 Translation/Recap Part 3:  (Minutes 22.00 to Episode End)

IY is waiting in YR's office. YR asks somebody won't find it odd if she is in the consultant's office. IY says she can just say that they were high school mates, or "maybe friends?". She wants YR to find out about The Overseas Projects' Director Kim In Taek. YR reminds her that her earlier impersonation became dangerous. Knowing that, is she on to more investigations? IY replies that it is precisely why she requests YR to do the asking around, so she won't have to impersonate. YR asks if it is a request or a threat. IY: "It is a request. But if you take it as a threat, I can't do much, I guess."

IY tells YR that JH has found out about the fake pregnancy. YR is worried, but IY says she told JH that YR helped only out of no choice when she begged. That she thought it was the only way she could be with DB. YR: "You think it makes any sense?". IY: "JH and others don't know about anything between us, so don't worry". IY says that she will not get YR caught in this. This was all of her own making, says IY.

DB comes to JH's office and Mr. Jo tries to say that JH is sitting in his room after cancelling his afternoon items including a meeting, that surprised DB. and Mr. Yun interrupts to say that he moved it to tomorrow as he is still preparing the documents. DB asks about if Designer Kim went out again, and Mr. Jo starts to talk about her being out often, but this time Ms. Ha interrupts to say that she is somewhere in the building. (Mr. Yun and Mr. Ha are such nice colleagues, really)

DB tells JH about that possible position in the US. JH is only happy to get married quickly and go. He has many things to do in the US. DB is happy with that.

JH is on his way to the dad's office, and runs into YR. She won't mind joining to see BS, but JH thinks the dad has something to discuss with him. He goes alone, and she asks from behind if there is some issue. She thinks he looks serious. He says it's only some work matter. She wonders to herself if he is going to tell BS about the IY matter. Probably not, she concludes.

HM is thinking about the things DB said, and what JM told her about getting assaulted while going to catch the criminal behind his dad's death.

JH tells BS that he is planning to go to the US branch. Executive director Ha in the US would like to return to Korea, and he can be in that position. BS says a plain "no". JH: "Why not?" BS: "You think transfer of personnel is something that happens just as you want? Is this your private company?". JH: "If you approve it, I can go work there, and study construction and design". BS asks if all his studies so far weren't enough.  He softens a bit and asks if it is because work is tough for him now. JH says yes. When BS asks about his Hanbit Apts work, JH starts saying that he never thought of it as his own work, but BS cuts him off and explodes on him. "You thinks that makes any sense? What is the point in being capable, if you turn back when the decisive moment comes?". He says he let him study what he wanted instead of business management.  DB is hurrying ahead without thinking what's ahead, and JH runs away when it gets even a bit hard. JH gets a little angry too - "you know that I have no interest in running the company matters". BS: "If you were born as my son in the Taeyeon family, shouldn't you try your best even if you have no interest?  How long are you going to hide behind your brother?".  He continues with the flowery talk, and JH says "I hate it, you know. The life I want and what you want, are different. Isn't brother enough to follow you?". Now DB is hearing from outside the door, as BS yells, "Isn't it because just your brother isn't enough that I'm doing this? How long are you going to act like a baby? How long?".

DB has to stop listening, as he gets a call from HM. He goes to meet HM, by the river. He asks if meeting at a cafe isn't better. She is no mood for that and asks him if he did that to Kim Sang Jae's son (JM, that is). Did he get JM assaulted?  DB says no, and he doesn't know what she is talking about. She says she would like to believe it too. He is not somebody who would do that, she says. But... she found it odd that DB looked so sensitive earlier in his reaction when she talked about the JM assault. HM: "Isn't it odd that it was due to that incident that the evidence in SJ's death case disappeared, too?".

DB: "So you think I did it?". HM: "Isn't that why you wanted a distance between JM and me?  Isn't it because you are scared that you are trying to get JH to go to the US?". DB's expression turns a bit stern as he says, "If you believed me once, you needed to believe all the way through". HM: "Dong Bin!". Now he decides to admit it. DB: "I had no choice. If that World Phone with JM were to fall into the cop's hand, you, me and even JH would all have been in trouble". HM: "Still, that wasn't right! JM could even have died!". DB: "Even then, we couldn't die, right?". HM is shocked - "Dong Bin..." DB: "And, JM didn't die, did he?". He moves nearer to her, almost in a threatening way - "You haven't forgotten the promise you made me, right? You have to keep the secret all your life. Only then can JH can live, and I can live". He continues, "Mother, you and I cannot expose each other until we die... Because, mother, you and I are accomplices, aren't we?" [End of Episode]

Episode 64 Translation/Recap Part 1:  (Minutes 0.00 to 12.00)

DB admits to HM, as in the last episode, that he had asked for the World Phone to be taken away from JM so as for HM, DB and JH to survive.

JH recalls his dad yelling at him for saying he was going to the US. He had asked him to get out of his office - "On going to the US, it's a no. If you don't want to work, quit your job". As he walked out, BS was saying, "incompetent fellow".

The same scene as in the last episode. After telling HM that they should for ever keep their secret about the SJ death, DB says to her that they both are accomplices/co-criminals. He will somehow block JM, but she should get JH to leave with YR to the US. She needs to convince BS on that. HM: "There is no other reason to send JH to the US, right?". DB says no. He says he is only worried that JH might get into a bad funk like he had during his Yangpyeong time, if he heard of the matter. HM is almost ready to faint, thinking of that. He holds her, and she looks at him like she has a fairly good idea of what he is thinking.

IY meets DM who complains that she looks like she isn't eating well. IY says she has found who the man was, behind the ultrasound drill. DM wants to know if nothing else is bothering her. IY says no (and doesn't tell that she's been caught by JH). Dm starts saying, "SeonHwa" and stops, saying she doesn't even want to know about her. IY gets a call from Ms. Ha and runs back to the office.

Ms. Ha and Ms. Yun tell IY about calls they were getting, on things like selecting the bath room tiles. IY has work to do. Mr. Jo thinks it's becoming tough to even see IY, as she is so busy. JH comes in, looking angry, and they all wonder what is up.

DB tells YR about hurrying up the marriage and leaving for the US. He is trying to have him transferred to the US branch, but he thinks that BS' opposition is serious. He heard them argue about it. She says she knew he would be difficult. DB thinks it is even worse than "difficult", based on BS' raised voice. He wants her to do whatever is needed. He has asked HM to talk to BS too. YR thinks that HM also wouldn't want JH to leave, just like all mothers. DB reminds her that working on HM is also her job. Then he says - "but anyway, I think my mother will help. She will turn him around in a conciliatory way".  (YR looks at him a bit suspiciously. I suppose it's because she knows of no reason why HM would do that). DB wants her to focus on JH. If anything changes, he will let her know.

HM asks her assistant to get their volunteer worker's list. She wants the list of general-public volunteers and not those from schools. She asks if it's for HM to recommend somebody to some place. HM says it's just to check something. The assistant says she will update the list and bring it soon.

DB tells IY that he needs to go have a drink with JH, so IY can go home with YR who will wait for her in the parking garage. He goes to JH and says that he heard the noise as he walked by when JH was talking to BS. He wants to take JH out for a drink to cheer him up. Then they can go together to BS and convince him, as it's easier to do at home.

Maid Nam tells YR and IY that HM hasn't come home yet. YR is surprised. HM hadn't said that she would be late. IY looks suspicious. BS is looking for YR, so she goes to his room. Maid Nam tells IY that BS hadn't come out from his library ever since she got home. Something seemed serious to her (and IY looks like she's worried that this all could be about her!).

BS wants to know from YR what she and JH had discussed, about the US plans that JH told him about, today. She thinks he must have said it for her sake, as she has no friends or acquaintances in Korea and had talked about being lonely. She admits that she had asked about going to the US, and apologizes that she should've talked to BS first. BS has a favor to ask of her, "as JH's father and yout father-in-law". He doesn't know how much time he has left, but he wants to spend it with them, seeing them get married and having children. He is being greedy, but it's also for HM's sake. "Isn't there any way to change your and JH's mind?".  YR tears up (seemingly like it is genuine tears) and says "Yes, father. I am sorry".  (So at least for now, she is not following through on what DB had asked her to do).

Episode 64 Translation/Recap Part 2:  (Minutes 12.00 to 20.00)

IY asks YR about what her discussion with BS was on. Only about marrying and going to the US, says YR. IY: "Nothing else?". YR: "No". But YR is worried if IY told anything else to JH, especially about her. Why would I, asks IY. YR thinks JH hasn't been himself the whole day and is worried. IY thinks i's because of what she told him. YR asks what IY will do if JH tells the family. IY says that he is no the type to talk that easily. YR: "You seem to know a lot about JH, huh?". IY: "You know very well how he is too" (but YR doesn't look too convinced with that response).

HM tells BS that she had a call from his secretary, about his meeting with JH. The secretary must've got worried about BS to have called her. HM asks if it wouldn't be okay to send him abroad for just an year. She talks about how things have gone for JH with the accident, surgery, re-surgery etc. BS says that he also feels bad about what he said. If it weren't for the company, he wouldn't mind whatever JH wanted to do. The sons are important, but Taeyeon is like a son to him too. "It's because I am uneasy about sending JH to USA and handing it over to DB". Already, many of the directors think that DB will be the successor. If JH goes to the US in this situation, and if BS illness becomes known, it is possible that JH may never be able to return to the company. (That must've given HM something to think about, on whether to go with what DB said, as her face shows)

JH tells DB over a drink, that he had never seen his dad reacting like that. DB gives some comfort talk about how old people can be. JH brings up DB's marriage to IY and asks if he felt for sure that she is the one, and that she is going to stay with him for ever. DB asks in response if it was without feeling it for sure that JH proposed to YR. JH says he really doesn't know. It's not like a sure feeling, but like he wanted to believe it, says JH. IY says he is the same. He hardly knows his own feelings, so how can she be sure of IY's feelings. DB: "I'm only seeing what I want to see, and believing what I want to believe". He says he did vacillate a bit when IY left home, and later had the miscarriage. IY: "But you still want to marry her?".. DB: "It's my desire/greed to have her by my side". JH: "Greed?". DB: "The greed to someday make her love me more than I love her". But he continues that IY is not the reason why he has doubts on IY's love to him, but he himself. She is doing what is he norm, but he is being too needy.

At the office, JH asks IY for the Hanbit Apts materials list and the contractors' list. He also wants her to share her work with Mr. Jo. She asks "why suddenly.." and stops, seeing his stern look. As the rest of the team walk in, JH asks her to stop interrupting her own work with all the trips outside. The team members ask what the issue is, and IY says it's nothing. JH asked her to share some work with the teamleader, that's all. But the teamleader (Mr. Jo) asks why, and doesn't look thrilled to take on more work.

DB and IY's relationship was doomed from the start. Not only due to her lies to find out what happen to her father and brother and who stole his idea but because DB has a hand in whatever may have happened to her father possibly but definitely in what happen to her brother. Then there is the fact that IY still loves JH. I am hoping we are not going to see a wedding with YR and JH either as JH does not love her. I fear he is pushed to the brink with his fathers illness but I hope it does not come to that.

DB is turning out to be a selfish character to me. He caused a problem before that almost harmed the business but he can't understand why his adopted father is hesitant to give the reigns to him or promote him. But he does things that will ensure that he will most like end up taking the company but will also end up loosing it as well. Its a huge betrayal to the people who have raised him as their own and the brother who looked up to him and loved him. He is blinded by his jealousy of JH when he should be very grateful he managed to grow up in a good family instead of left to an orphanage when his father went to jail or died. I can see him at the end crying when he learns of his adopted fathers illness and realizes all he did was for selfish reasons and he was always loved by his father and HM. I can only image JH's response when he learns of YR's true motives and who put her up to it.

Episode 64 Translation/Recap Part 3:  (Minutes 20.00 to Episode End)

DB tries to fish for info from CG, asking if everything is okay with BS, because he heard noises from his room. CG says nothing seems to be an issue. DB: "You know why he was doing that with JH, right?" CG: "Yes. It's the issue of his going to the US branch". DB tells him about BS is releasing Taeyeon Retail's affiliation. Attorney Hwang has done the paperwork. CG says he doesn't know about it, and he doesn't talk business matters with BS. He thinks BS must have some reason. DB says it is to find that reason that he called CG in. CG says (surely knowing what DB is driving at) that BS looks at DB only as a son. That is the chairman he has always known. DB: "If he takes me as a real son, would he have reasons to be so opposed to JH's going to the US?... I wonder". CG says that it is not like that.

Ms. Ha and IY see DB and Dir. Kim go by, in the corridor. Ms. Ha tells her that it was Overseas Projects Director Kim In Taek. She tells IY that the company has two "lines" (people who side with somebody or other). One is the DB's line and the other is JH's line. Director Kim is on DB's side. She asks which side IY is on, and she just laughs it off. Ms Ha thinks that it is a 49-51 split in the company, maybe. Ms. Ha is on JH's "line", of course.

JH comes out, as IY seems to have asked for a chat. She asks if JH perhaps told DB. He asks her what she is afraid of - is it that DB will know and his feelings to her will change, or that he will get hurt from IY's deceit? JH: "You shouldn't have done this using people's feelings, to start with". She says sorry. He says it's not something to apologize to him for. DB, the parents and even YR... It is to those people who sincerely loved her without knowing of her lies, that she needs to say sorry. He says he couldn't tell his brother anything. IY thanks him. JH: "It is not for your sake, but for his sake, that I didn't tell". He knows of DB's sincere love to her, so he couldn't tell. He asks her to tell DB before it's even more late, if she loves him. IY says he will reveal everything once it is time. JH wants it to be soon. JH: "It is enough to have one person, me, to be wounded by you. Please don't do that to my brother". JH leaves, and she can only cry. IY's mother calls and she doesn't take the call.

She calls her mom back, saying she is in Seoul for a meeting. She wants to have a "date" with her mom, and eat something good. SG runs out in a big hurry from CH's shop.

HM gets the list of their service workers from her assistant. HM asks if the work will get affected if they stop taking general-public service workers. The assistant says they have so many kids who come for school grade reasons, so it may actually be better to let go of some of their people who come just to get their pictures taken, because they don't do work and only demoralize those who work hard. HM asks her to look into it. HM goes to the window and is lost in thought.

Mr. Jo asks JH about taking up some work from IY. He wants to make sure. JH says she can do the design related summaries, but Mr. Jo should do the overall work summaries. If there are any gaps, he can fill it. "Even... fill... gaps?... Yessir, I shall get to it" (like he is so surprised that JH thinks he is even capable of that!). JH also wants Mr. Jo to go for the business meetings. "By myself?", he asks. JH says Mr. Yun can join too. He aks why this change is being made suddenly. JH gives him a glare, and Mr. Jo leaves after saying an "oh, okay. I shall do it".  JH gets a call from HM to meet her at her office.

IY and SG are having a nice mother-daughter time, walking and doing small talk. She wants to buy her mom some good food. SG only wants some small bite from the roadside stall.

HM tells JH that she also was initially not against the US plans. He says even one year of being away is okay. She says she knows that it is a hard time for him, but it's the same for everybody. He says it is not to discard the family but only because he needs some time. Now she says that she and BS don't really have such time. It won't be long, says JH. Then HM tells him that his dad is quite ill. That he has dementia. [End of Episode]

Episode 65 Translation/Recap Part 1:  (Minutes 0.00 to 11.00)

HM tells JH that BS has dementia. That was the reason why he put pressure on JH to return to work quickly, and did various things to set up JH's forward path with a big project. JH asks how long he has had it. She says she also found only very recently. JH can't believe it. How bad is it? HM says that based on the MRIs, it will end up as Alzheimers. He asks if DB knows, and she says no. BS doesn't want them to know. She is telling him only because she "had no choice" (in other words, she has got a good sense of what DB is up to, and won't play along!). She asks him to be understanding of his dad, and asks him to be by his dad's side. JH is truly heartbroken [I think Seo Do Young did a terrific job of acting in this whole scene, by the way!]

IY and SG are at a restaurant. SG says that she had come to the same place with her dad once. But the food is different than then. She talks about various memory spots around Seoul. IY also remembers some spots from her childhood, eating stuff from the ice box etc. DB calls, and she doesn't answer. They go and sit at a bus stop. SG thinks she is acting like a child. IY gets philosophical and wants to know how many times people can love in one's life. SG has had only one love in her life. That was so cool, says IY. SG wants to know if she is dating or something. IY says no. And then adds, "I was. At one time". SG asks what happened. IY says he dumped him. "I didn't really know why, at that time. But now that I think, it's like I was unable to handle him. So I never even told him my name, and all I did was to love him like the world was ending and then leave him". SG asks what was it about him that she couldn't handle. IY says he had a disability. SG comforts her - "that must have been hard".  IY knows that if it is true love, one is supposed to drop everything and make sacrifices. She admits that she couldn't do that with him. SG asks her to let bygones by bygones and find a man she likes, rather than think of living with just mom's love all her life.

SG comes home with some ganjang-gejang (crab marinated in soy sauce). CH is all upset that she had already eaten; she would have loved to have this instead. DM thinks IY got it because she and IY are close friends. The aunt says DM should have guy friends too, and brings up JM again - that he may be dating that "nuna" at work. DM says she is a proud woman who doesn't easily date. The aunt asks why then she is so interested in everything JM does all the time. DM changes subjects and asks SG if she saw the new addition they have. There it is - the air conditioner!

IY gets back home just as HM and JH drive in. She tells HM that she was out to meet a friend.

JH is with his dad. BS asks if he did any more thinking. JH says yes, and that he was being thoughtless earlier. He will carefully rethink it. BS: "You said this, without even carefully thinking about it?"... He then talks about how hard he was working in establishing Taeyeon by the time he was of their age (DB's and JH's). But he knows that JH doesn't like hearing those old stories, so he laughs. He then says sorry for speaking so harshly to JH earlier. JH is just quiet.

YR asks, and JH tells her that he told BS about rethinking his plans to go to the US. She asks if he had dinner, and gets a little concerned after he goes to his room saying he had had dinner with HM (YR is probably wondering what those two were discussing at dinner)

Archived