[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

2 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

Oh.  They gave about 5 key factors of "why you must watch blah blah...".

I cant remember the order.  But either #4 or #5 was IU's tormentor was once an actor that acted with IU with great chemistry, and fans of both were cheering for their coming together again in another project here... 

Then i guess #3 was using the acting skill of LSK and the actress who played DH mom, and saying likely by next award seasons, we shall see these 2 winning some awards by this show. Saying how the 'mother and son' each on their own has being bagging awards.

Then of coz #2 factor was a little heavy handed in selling it thru "GOBLIN' parallelism.  Well. This is marketing tactic, and TvN has been wantonly using all ways (even subway, *wink*)... to sell dramas n 'products'.

Guess what was #1 factor to watch Ahjussi? Huh... nothing romantic.  TvN selling their own  cable channel, saying they will speed air every Ep English subbed the very Next night. That they promised to bring u oven-hot Ahjussi ( this my words). 

So i am not trying to say TvN goes all out to bang and drums on the romance genre. Its just that very now then i am still seeing doubts whether they will have a loveline. My takes: they will, but subtle and moving and melo one. 

Oh. Did I unlurk unwisely n stir some hornet nest?

Do know to react with all your happy goes satire long post:(  

Let's see how weight the story  itself tell whatever they worth to be compare of.

For me this drama very outstanding i like the way  the writer blend family issue with office intrique plot. After all this just human story not about super hero who live such long bored years just to finding his bride:lol:

Talk about hornet nest oh my i love so much trilogi of the girl with dragon tatto too:blink:(the dark story still chill me out):(thank you to remind me where is the vibe of Jian and the Ahjussi come from:D.

wish this drama  ending will sweet even in subtle way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

I am ready if it goes melo m end melo. But with buckets ready. I think their tale, the equation of fine script writing + fine directing + fine acting + fine chemistry  (yes chemistry is showing already) = i am ready to follow whatever pit and abyss they bring me. 

Because of the adultery factor and moral issues, even if happy ending will be bitter sweet? Beside the main leads chemistry.  You can't help thinking "what's' there between JA and the other 2 brothers? Will the other 2 be part of her Story too? Am curious. 

I am not buying into a full bloom romance between the two lead characters because seriously they still have so many issues to work on with their respective lives. More character development needs to happen first before focusing on the budding romance. Plus, no matter how giddy I am with the chemistry of LSK and IU:wub: - our gentle Ajusshi despite having a bad marriage is still very much married. I don't want DH's character to be an adulterer too. Let's leave that deed to his wife and boss. However, if the story of Jian and DH can be presented in a way that is atypical and their developing feelings for one another will make them better and happier people then that is something more unique. Falling in love does not necessarily equate to romance or grand confessions and gestures. These two odd ball is not our typical k-drama couple. Both are jaded and unhappy people that doing those eye candy sweetness aegyo will make Jian want to punch someones face. She is not that type of girl. I agree that with great direction and tight writing that the romance aspect could be presented subtle way with much tenderness so the viewers could comprehend the reason why DH and Jian developed those romantic feelings in the first place. The romance has to be something original and consistent to the personalities of DH and Jian. 

My two cents: I think the PD and writer are already presenting us with unique moments between DH and Jian. Their "come out, buy me food dates", silent train rides, awkward confrontations with brutal honesty,  and now episode 5 previews - it looks like they are both having a weird nonsensical conversation about the meaning of their names. Ok???:huh: Their level of curiosity towards each other is enough to make anyone giddy at this point. 

Edited by timidjock0819
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how this story would developed but one thing clear is that I want the wife and cheater boss to go down big down for real. For her to loose her job and divorced....big one...

• Like 11

1 hour ago, timidjock0819 said:

I am not buying into a full bloom romance between the two lead characters because seriously they still have so many issues to work on with their respective lives. More character development needs to happen first before focusing on the budding romance. Plus, no matter how giddy I am with the chemistry of LSK and IU:wub: - our gentle Ajusshi despite having a bad marriage is still very much married. I don't want DH's character to be an adulterer too. Let's leave that deed to his wife and boss. However, if the story of Jian and DH can be presented in a way that is atypical and their developing feelings for one another will make them better and happier people then that is something more unique. Falling in love does not necessarily equate to romance or grand confessions and gestures. These two odd ball is not our typical k-drama couple. Both are jaded and unhappy people that doing those eye candy sweetness aegyo will make Jian want to punch someones face. She is not that type of girl. I agree that with great direction and tight writing that the romance aspect could be presented subtle way with much tenderness so the viewers could comprehend the reason why DH and Jian developed those romantic feelings in the first place. The romance has to be something original and consistent to the personalities of DH and Jian. 

My two cents: I think the PD and writer are already presenting us with unique moments between DH and Jian. Their "come out, buy me food dates", silent train rides, awkward confrontations with brutal honesty,  and now episode 5 previews - it looks like they are both having a weird nonsensical conversation about the meaning of their names. Ok???:huh: Their level of curiosity towards each other is enough to make anyone giddy at this point. 

I just wanted to quote your post because I so agree with it. Very well presented insights especially to the romance that is original and consistent with their personalities. Thank you.

• Like 9

Can’t wait for the subs!!! I’m totally obsessed with this show :lol:

DH seems especially nervous when he encountered Ji An with his brothers. LOL. He’s behaving like he’s the one cheating while nothing really happened between them.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, timidjock0819 said:

@timidjock0819 sorry. i just know, when i wrote in length, i will somewhat wrote somehting controversial or something which can easily been misunderstood, the faults all mine. 

DH's character! that's what actually registered into me in the first place. that's why i did mentioned that even if its a happy ending. it may be bitter sweet,... k lets not talkng about ending. coz before that happened, as you said well. there are plentious issues on each life that both has to overcome to reach half way there. i also do not want DH character to be tainted with being an adulterer...  what made DH so unique that immediately appeal to me, is his sense of moral righteousness. that he will not turn to left or right, that he rigidly stand still when everyone moved around him. that is so rare in my Ugly real world, i happened to know someone like unto him, and that person in my workplace just doesnt gel to anyone and always suffered, but till today she never move an inch from where her belief lies. that was how attractive... ugh. rathered than saying attractive... how a character that the Oh Haeyoung writer did so splendidly wrote... someone i dont just admire for 'being handsome or smart or charming'.... but 'some' character that i admired from my heart his integrity. and a 101% yes, to what you say, dont taint him with some adultery...
so i do want him to resist... until he has 'lawfully' out of it.

and say, if realities really sucks, as what you said, this is a tale that not fall into the norm of kdrama couple., i am not surprised writer will write them being good slow burn long term friends, for a long long time sharing each other burdens in that subtle ways... .watching each other back... and covered up for each other's dangers in work place... that's hell of a jungle in that office... its miracle that DH can survive that long. and i do wish to see real friendship grow between both,.... as odd as it is, some times its not just skinships or kissing that melt your heart... its some moments like just now, JA stared into his back, as if stared thru his back... touched by his simple gestures that meant so much to her... as he walked away... even that was touched... i do want their relationship to be like brewing fine tea... slow and mature... some times, or maybe as ugly realities have it. as much as i do not want it to happen... if he stayed married and refused to part with the wife however unfaithful she be, out couple may not even get their good ending.
real life, that happens.  yes, how many times we heard of friends falling for some married colleague, finding finally someone that can click, can understand each other well... nothing sensual, but just many many many long hours of talking on phone.... and they finally ended up part ways..... becuase that is the right thing to do.  as much as i do want a happy ending for any couple, esp our couple.... i also want it 'RIGHT' . SO THAT I CAN CONTINUE TO RESPECT THIS CHARACTER. DH is one such character that i truly admired into his core, and has nothing wahtsoever to do with how good he looks or how charming the character was written... DH grow into us, ep by ep, we just felt aching, felt bad for him.... listening to his suppressing heavy breathing ep by ep, we felt our own breath choking and suffocating... for once in kdrama,...

i do want a real friendship develop between both first.... only for the right time then proceed if possible into 'whatever whatever' .... yes, i wish as how you said so, the honest and delicate way of writing, allowing audience to understand thru subtle voiceover of each.. that we will stand to understand how much each understand the other... and just like last week, instead of shoving into our throat to force into us why must we accept the age gap couple... i do loved the little moments of silent train ride.. remember last week how he tried to shelter her, protect her in that over crowded train... every details and added moments make their understanding of each other more and more believable and acceptable...  you will just slowly witout even realised yourself, already started to believe they do feel for each other, and you are just very thankful for every small little gestures Dh gave... yes, even that picking up her persimmon and chasing her down the alley... like what you said... this is fine writing... bringing in senses, sound, sight, air... silent even...
when Lee SunKyun lost it and start to breath in, thinking no one heard... today he just drop down, you felt Ji An can feel his air sucking out of his lung, his utter giving in... silent.. and snow started to blanket him...  you felt him giving up giving in. and you felt Jian stop breathing, panic...
you felt love, slowly sip... just like fine fragnant tea, one sip at a time... if this is not love written in its finest... i know not what. so yes, i also wnat to savor this kind of love... before they go skinship or whatever.... i want their mind to sync, their senses to click... and just like what you said... i love to pieces their silent moment even in the train... those stolen glance.. today. JA started to really look at him directly even across the room at office... that was her breakthru... i wish with all my heart.. that she also solve her issue fast. pls stop and turn before she caused more harm to him before it reach beyond recovery manner.

sorry, i wrote lengthily again. hmm.... better go back to bat cave. anyway i have homework to cover tonight. i will leave your site, happy waiting for sub.

6 minutes ago, aisling said:

Can’t wait for the subs!!! I’m totally obsessed with this show :lol:

DH seems especially nervous when he encountered Ji An with his brothers. LOL. He’s behaving like he’s the one cheating while nothing really happened between them.

i am already hopelessly obsessed with both leads

• Like 12

If this didn’t move her cold heart, then I don’t know... What’s more, thanks to her spy app she knows he isn’t just pretending to be nice in front of her grandma but he’s a genuinely caring and good person even though he’s miserable himself.

giphy.gif

• Like 14

@maryofbethany, your post more and more amused me:)

Their care uncared relationship is so sweet yet painful to be true.

2 hours ago, aisling said:

If this didn’t move her cold heart, then I don’t know... What’s more, thanks to her spy app she knows he isn’t just pretending to be nice in front of her grandma but he’s a genuinely caring and good person even though he’s miserable himself.

She knew him well now not just by heart like saying but by earphone as well:tongue:

• Like 4

Now now now.

Did she tell him about the public pay phone because she wanted to help him or hurt him?

I love this show. It's so quietly moving, then it comes out and hits you, hard. 

Absolutely loving the music. I love this production team!

(Haven't watched in full yet, just the clip and live recap)

• Like 10

2 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Hi!

I think that it is what most of us are hoping :) . It is an unusual story with unusual and complex characters, so I hope that - if there will be romance - its flow will follow  the general tone of the drama, and keeps its originality and lowkey.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, ninaanin said:

Hi!

I think that it is what most of us are hoping :) . It is an unusual story with unusual and complex characters, so I hope that - if there will be romance - its flow will follow  the general tone of the drama, and keeps its originality and lowkey.

This show is like a work of art you need to sit back and watch slowly over time. Like Misaeng which started out sooo slow.

The moon scene was so, so beautiful. So much love conveyed in that one scene with no words. Just music, and a low, pensive moon.

The love of a girl for her grandmother.

The love of a grandmother for her granddaughter (asking her about Dong Hoon)

And the love (whatever you may call it, affection, fondness or concern) of an older man for a street cat aka Ji An.

This show has amazing music, cinematography, and scene setting. Powerful emotions expressed without words. Ji An's emotionless eyes. Dong Hoon's concern for her. It's love alright, just not the kind we usually see in K dramas and romance shows.

Aside: I just watched some of IU's videos. I couldn't believe it was the same person! Kudos to her for tackling such a difficult, complicated character that surely must be quite difficult for some of her fan base to accept!

• Like 17