[Drama 2017] Mad Dog 매드독

Go Seung Ji

7 hours ago, triplem said:

Edit: @Dhakra prepare to lose your bet with @stroppyse :lol:. The latest stills do not work in your favour.

Oh please. You think a few stills are going to scare me? You know how misleading these stills can be. And I have watched enough previews and slow motion scenes with both of them to say that it's nothung but hot air. 

And I'm used to lose, but in the end it's her loss, not mine :tongue: 

OMG that ending!!!! Is NR gonna be ok??? Please I don't need anyone in Mad Dog dying! And I don't think KMJ can take another loss in his life :( 

tomorrow's preview...is HR in danger?? And seeing KMJ cry :tears: 

3 minutes ago, triplem said:

Why are his lips so red?

I think it's just the fact that he has extremely pink lips...I thought WDH was famous for it idk...

• Like 2

• Kim Min-Joon's german gets worse with each episode. It must be such a pain for him to speak it. :D 
    The song he was singing during the investigation was Ludwig van Beethovens "Ich liebe dich" from 1795
    Spoiler

• I guess I'm really going to lose my bet, gosh, these shenanigans between HR and KMJ felt so annoying and unnecessary. It obstructs the dramas actual case so much, I was really bothered by the scene in the car and this unbelievable unnatural "We're falling because you're drunk and surprisingly I fell right into your arm." :rolleyes: 
  • Great job KW, tell the girl who is in love with you that she is like your sister. Friendzoned. <_<
  • HJ is really to nice for this world. She really doesn't want to be a part of a world like this. It feels like she doesn't want to be involved in all this dirty things that happen around her.
    I mean it's really painful that she didn't prevent KW's family from getting on the plane, but overall she doesn't feel like one of the bad guys. I wish that she somehow escapes all this.
  • So NR gets stabbed, I'm sure he will survive though, but please, please....no slowmotion or unnecessary plot scenes between HR and KMJ in the next ep when the drama reaches probably it's most critical stadium.
    The drama really needs to learn to tighten the intensity.

18 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Hi dear, how are you?

Yeah, I've been busy with C dramas after Man to Man and nothing else in Kdramaland apart from Criminal Minds interested me so I started watching other things on Netflix and on offer from Mainland China.

You need to catch up dear so that we can all have a good chat. :D I need to as well. I'm a bit surprised the Mad Dog isn't more popular. Maybe I shouldn't be... most of the shows I enjoy aren't hugely popular but you knew that already. :wink: 

OhMyDayssssss...... @40somethingahjumma How are you? ...

Soo nice to read a familiar members perspective....(Fellow Xingue shipper:D )...   caught up with MD from epi 6 onwards....i'm enjoying the pace, the recklessness of KMJ and the chemistry between him and HR:blush: ...Let's hope the creatives deliver.....

• Like 1

My feeling about HJ is that she's trying in her own way to protect KW and maintain her loyalty to Dad and the company. Even the trap was designed to "mitigate" a rather impossible situation. I imagine she believes that there is a way for everyone to win in this which is a bit naive but she is in love with KW to think that it's possible. Her position is an unenviable one but I think it reflects where she is presently especially because KW isn't committed to her romantically. If he were, I suspect she'd be quick to change sides. She was already prepared to walk away from the company earlier on but because KW isn't into her, she feels she needs some kind of safety net especially when the horse (or dog as the case may be) she really wants to back is off doing its own thing with other people.

Everybody here is looking for a home. At the end of the day if people lose families, their natural impulse is to make their own. That's certainly the case here. I honestly love all of KMJ's recent interactions with KW. Unbeknownst to either of them, they are encroaching into each other's space  and trying to "be" family to each other. KMJ's post-recovery scenes in KW's flat were really poignant. Here we have an orphan whom we all know wants to be part of something which is why he got involved with Mad Dog in the first place learning slowly what it means to be a part of a family, warts and all. Emotionally he's a bit of a basket case because he tends to revert to pushing people's buttons rather than talking to them like you'd expect adults to.

This is why I don't object to blossoming attraction between KMJ and HR. If the show was doing romance for romance sake, I'd be really annoyed. But mostly I'm just amused at MJ's antics because he's an emotional klutz around HR. He's akin to a teenage boy who likes a girl in his class but he doesn't know how to approach her honestly and express his attraction except to pull her pigtails to get her attention. A reaction to his mind is better than indifference. Their push-pull is an extension of his general emotional stuntedness. He wants to be a part of Mad Dog but he doesn't want to come right out and say it lest he gets rejected. It's exactly the same thing with HR.

@velvetsnowflake17 Hello dear... Lovely to see you here. Nice to be recognized and thanks for the shout out.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Unfortunately, I do agree with @Dhakra on one point about this drama though:

For instance, despite the cliffhanger with Pentium getting stabbed, I'm not actually distressed because I assume that he won't die. Of course the drama could decide to do a number on me, and kill him off in the next episode, and then I will be a mess.

However, there is a weird dissonance for me in that while I'm still enjoying the drama, there isn't the tension that I would expect in this genre of drama. It's almost too nice and too pleasant, and though HG is shaping up to be a proper villain, the stakes are perhaps not really high enough. The dead are already dead, so now they are looking to find out the truth of something in the past. I think the reveals haven't been handled well to keep my attention engaged on that question, especially regarding why Taeyang and Juhan are so hot for each other now. So, I'm enjoying the characters, especially MJ's interactions with his teammates, but I'm enjoying them at this point almost as if they were set pieces rather than because something critical hangs in the balance.

Having said that, I think the Mad Dog team plus their cohorts are all really fun to watch. YJT is just such an emotive person that I almost feel his desperation as he tries to pull one string after another. WDH is also an emotive actor, where he shines in the emotional beats whether it's as he reminisces about his brother or in MJ's interactions with KW.

I hope for the final run of the drama, it'll find a way to ratchet up the tension and the drama for this drama to make for an engaging finale. Anyway, I'll still be watching for the characters even if the finale is as uneven as the rest of this drama has been. Plus, I assume we'll get at least one cute scene of HR and MJ in their budding schoolyard romance. :)

Because the show uses Leverage as its template, all of things that you've raised aren't really a problem for me. It seems like they've replicated some of that quirky hip feel. The Ocean Elevens cool with lots of silly banter and gallows humour is one of the reasons why I'm enjoying it. 11 episodes later it occurs to me that MJ and HR are modelled after Hardison and Parker to a large degree. The characters and their romance were far more idiosyncratic although they did have a lot more time to develop that side of things.

If they follow the usual pattern with these sorts of dramas, they will no doubt start cranking things up next week as the team gets closer to the big finale.

My only real problem with the show is how they're dragging out the main arc by making the motive seemingly more convoluted than it really is. To my mind the airline-insurance conspiracy angle has been needlessly protracted although I have enjoyed these mini-scams along the way. While I enjoy the cat and mouse game that's going on between the "good guys" and the "baddies", (It is a lot of fun) it fundamentally feels like a simple matter that would have been disposed of in one or two episodes of Leverage. But seeing that this is a K drama, it's clear that they can never resist not just taking potshots at monolithic business/political entities but feel obligated to sledgehammer home the point. :wink: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I think I may have read either you or someone else mention the Leverage connection. I'm actually a fan of Leverage, so thought that the resemblance was just superficial, though there are a lot of parallels that Leverage could have served as the inspiration for Mad Dog.

The thing is though, it actually sounds more like Leverage when I'm reading a post drawing the parallels. When I'm watching Mad Dog, I'm not really reminded of Leverage very much at all.

Though, if this was inspired by an American series, it's more successful in that it's more entertaining than some others I sampled. :)

Btw, I quoted part of your post above, because I do agree that the main arc is really being drawn out, and yet with the reveals about it thus far, it doesn't seem to be as convoluted or even as earth-shattering as they seem to want to make out. Just my opinion, though.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for a good bromance, and KW and MJ give that to me in spades in this drama. :)

Because at the end of the day it is a K drama. :wink: It has its own unique flavour and an ongoing story arc which Leverage didn't have while dealing with similar issues . (But you don't really need me to tell you all that :D )  While the characters are loosely based on the originals in terms of their roles in the team, their actual personalities diverge quite a bit. Overall they did a reasonably good job contextualizing it.

My opinion is that they should have only spent about 6 episodes (max) on the insurance-airline angle and moved on to another big job. More like Squad 38. Separate and maybe somewhat related. But I'm assuming that they were wanting to draw out the conflict between MJ and the Mad Dogs although I think that they still could have maintained tensions while working on another job.

I would definitely agree that the character dynamics are the best thing about this show. KW and MJ interactions are gold in part because they are well fleshed out but also the actors bounce off each other really well. I've raved on already about YJT who seems to be really great with younger actors judging from what he does here and Healer. He comes across as an actor's actor. I'm much less familiar with KDH but he's very good.

• Like 3

Good Episode.

Mad Dog team is on the move and playing JH and Taeyang against each other.

Not sure whether NooRi's father is on their side yet but with what happened to his son in this episode, I think he will be more focused and choose a side.

Not sure if NR will survive this (it looks like he will be unconscious for a while ?) and JH and Taeyang does not realise this will make the Mad Dogs madder and to bite and not let go.

I like the interaction between HR and MJ this episode. It doesn't feel forced and with MJ's concern both in this and the upcoming episode, it has built to a point where you can believe he cares for her (and she is worried about him too).

The black box is out and the knowledge of the original insurance policies is also know. It will be interesting to see how the remaining episodes will weave together.

On a side note: I love the side story about the sanitarium where  the rich, healthy boys/men were institutionalized just to avoid military service because that is a talking point in Korea. I enjoy watching the team take down these insurance scammers.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Unfortunately, I do agree with @Dhakra on one point about this drama though:

For instance, despite the cliffhanger with Pentium getting stabbed, I'm not actually distressed because I assume that he won't die. Of course the drama could decide to do a number on me, and kill him off in the next episode, and then I will be a mess.

However, there is a weird dissonance for me in that while I'm still enjoying the drama, there isn't the tension that I would expect in this genre of drama. It's almost too nice and too pleasant, and though HG is shaping up to be a proper villain, the stakes are perhaps not really high enough. The dead are already dead, so now they are looking to find out the truth of something in the past. I think the reveals haven't been handled well to keep my attention engaged on that question, especially regarding why Taeyang and Juhan are so hot for each other now. So, I'm enjoying the characters, especially MJ's interactions with his teammates, but I'm enjoying them at this point almost as if they were set pieces rather than because something critical hangs in the balance.

Unfortunately you have to agree with me? :D 

But yes, this is what I meant, I don't feel scared or anxious and this is because everytime the drama shifted into a more serious gear, it pretty much neutralized that right away with some HR & MJ shenanigans. There wasn't a single episode yet where the drama just focussed on the main plot and created a tempo where you felt uncomfortable during the whole episode. 

And this is untypical for this kind of genre, when I compare it to other dramas that are currently airing, which also have a romantic plot, then Mad Dog just isn't able to create such an atmosphere where I'm actually afraid of someone dying.

The whole stabbing scene felt also a little melodramatic, with the jumpcuts and everything, it felt a little too much. 

Overall it's a good drama, but I think it could have been done better. I don't have anything against a lovestory, I'm just not a fan of this "In-your-face" lovestory with constant closeups, "meaningful" gazes, slowmotion turns against the wall, slippers and "Oh my god I rarely know him but now that he's in danger I somehow care for him"