[Drama 2017] Mad Dog 매드독

Go Seung Ji

11 hours ago, crazyyo said:

It's a good show seriously , just don't drop after watching first 3 episodes they are a bit confusing the rest is sooo good. About the lead's previous occupation assuming we are talking about kangwoo here , he was a insurance detective at taeyang insurance company, as for minjoon his occupation is not known till now :/ I don't think he ever was a con artist

Ex-Insurance investigator does remind me of Leverage which is fine with me. I loved Leverage. If it's patterned after it, I'm more than okay with it.

• Like 2

Binged watched the first three episodes and so far I really like what I've seen. It feels more to me like an OCN/TvN drama than an offering from one of the mainstream networks. The cast is good and they fill their roles well. One of the highlights of this show is seeing an assortment of familiar actors parade on our screens as miscellaneous backup crew.

Initial impressions:

This really is SK's answer to Leverage. CKW is obviously modelled after Nate Ford... ex-insurance investigator who lost family; Player Jang is a little bit Parker, a little bit Sophie and even some Eliot; the ex-con is part Eliot (loved the fight scene in the basement) and Hardison and the kid with the sun allergy is Hardison more or less. Not sure where KMJ fits into the team just yet.

I'm having a hard time liking KMJ at this stage... a bit smug for my liking. Some male leads are smug but charming. I'm struggling to see the "charming" part but that could change. I have an idea or two regarding what he's up to although he's playing up the whole obnoxious angle with happy abandon.

YJT is great. His emotions are on point and so easy to read. He does a great job as the man who is holding it together on the surface but underneath he's a volcano.

This one's definitely a keeper.

• Like 6

Mad Dog: Episode 10

MadDog10-01700.jpg

With all of the baddies onto their scheme, it’s time for the Mad Dog team to come up with a new plan to dig deeper into the truth behind Flight 801. And as more questions arise, it’s only a matter of time before the rest of the public start demanding answers. Good thing the team is actually starting to think and act like a team.

EPISODE 10: “A dog barks at the sun”

In the Taeyang lobby, Detective Jo leads a group of cops up to Chairman Cha’s office. Upstairs, Kang-woo arrives just before the police and warns Ha-ri about the trap.

In the greenhouse, Soon-jung trips the alarm and he and Min-joon scramble to clear out. Kang-woo enters and ushers the two of them into Chairman Cha’s office where Ha-ri is already waiting to plot their escape.

Spoiler

MadDog10-00078.jpg

However, Kang-woo intentionally locks himself in the greenhouse behind them, and tells them that he’ll buy time for them while they get to safety. As Chairman Cha’s secretary leads the detectives to the back entrance of the greenhouse, the rest of the Mad Dog crew sneak out the front door of the office undetected.

The detectives burst into the greenhouse to find Kang-woo standing there alone, much to Detective Jo’s shock. Kang-woo chuckles about being caught red-handed and apologizes to Chairman Cha’s secretary for breaking in.

But the secretary knows that Min-joon and Soon-jung should also be trapped inside, so she openly wonders where they slipped off to. When Detective Jo looks to Kang-woo to question him about the others, Kang-woo slyly winks at him.

MadDog10-00150.jpg

The remaining Mad Dog crew casually strolls toward the exit, but the detectives rush in to stop them. Chairman Cha’s secretary asks where the supposed plant doctors are running off to, and Soon-jung lies that they just need to grab some chemicals from their van.

The secretary scoffs at their fib and turns to Ha-ri to interrogate her on why she also happened to come to Taeyang that day. Ha-ri blusters out her explanation that she’s delivering some old files.

Just then, Manager Park arrives and corroborates Ha-ri’s story. With no reasonable grounds to hold the Mad Dog trio any longer, they quickly flee the scene unscathed.

===Read more:http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/11/mad-dog-episode-10/

COMMENTS

At this point, it almost feels like we’re going through a checklist of everyone around Kang-woo and testing their loyalty to him. First it was Manager Park, then Detective Jo, and now, it seems, is Noo-ri’s turn. Of the three, Noo-ri is probably the least likely to betray Kang-woo’s trust, and there’s not really any reason to suspect that Noo-ri will suddenly back out. Given how little interaction he and his father shared thus far, I can’t imagine this will amount to anything more than Noo-ri deciding between pacifying his father or rebelling against him. It’s not like Noo-ri will suddenly turn spy on them, so I’m not really inclined to consider this a major threat to the team.

What I do appreciate about this show is that the forces of evil are actually not only competent but seem to be pretty smart in their own right. They were able to bait the Mad Dog team into the greenhouse trap, and only failed because Detective Jo turned double agent on them. The dynamic between the two patriarchs adds an interesting layer to the proceedings, since both men seek the other’s destruction, but need to make sure that they themselves remain unscathed from the other’s fall. The problem, of course, is they both need each other to succeed in the short-term while they plot to take each other out later.

Spoiler

And while Hyun-gi and Chairman Cha are consistently at odds with each other in their own power struggle, you get the sense that both men seem to have their finger on the pulse of what the other is up to. Keep in mind that the reason the greenhouse trap was even an option was because Hyun-gi found the Mad Dog bug and tried to use it to send Mad Dog after Chairman Cha’s blackbox recording. The Cha family was one step ahead, though, so they could prepare their defenses in advance.

MadDog10-00267.jpg

It’s interesting that Hong-joo seems content to embroil herself further and further into the depths of Taeyang’s corruption. Is her unrequited love for Kang-woo really a strong enough reason to justify her descent into darkness?

It feels more like she’s overcompensating to try to crush what is left of her feelings for him, but I wonder if she can manage to quell those feelings or if they’ll linger just long enough to ruin her in the end. Either way, now that she is on this path, there’s no way she will manage to redeem herself in Kang-woo’s eyes when he uncovers the whole truth, so any hope she may still possess of somehow holding on to her love should probably be discarded now or it will only hold her back.

Also, for all this talk about needing to put Kang-woo on a leash to keep him in check, can we put a leash on Min-joon? How is he still going off and doing his own thing at this point without the knowledge of anyone else in Mad Dog? I feel like they’ve done enough at this point to show Min-joon he can trust them, yet he just can’t seem to stop himself from running off on his own and doing things behind their backs. Just keep them in the loop about your plans at least. Stop disappearing! You’re going to make poor Ha-ri sick with worry. It’s time for Min-joon to learn that a little trust goes a long way.

MadDog10-00877.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Binged watched the first three episodes and so far I really like what I've seen. It feels more to me like an OCN/TvN drama than an offering from one of the mainstream networks. The cast is good and they fill their roles well. One of the highlights of this show is seeing an assortment of familiar actors parade on our screens as miscellaneous backup crew.

Initial impressions:

This really is SK's answer to Leverage. CKW is obviously modelled after Nate Ford... ex-insurance investigator who lost family; Player Jang is a little bit Parker, a little bit Sophie and even some Eliot; the ex-con is part Eliot (loved the fight scene in the basement) and Hardison and the kid with the sun allergy is Hardison more or less. Not sure where KMJ fits into the team just yet.

I'm having a hard time liking KMJ at this stage... a bit smug for my liking. Some male leads are smug but charming. I'm struggling to see the "charming" part but that could change. I have an idea or two regarding what he's up to although he's playing up the whole obnoxious angle with happy abandon.

YJT is great. His emotions are on point and so easy to read. He does a great job as the man who is holding it together on the surface but underneath he's a volcano.

This one's definitely a keeper.

Glad to see you are liking the drama , you will start liking min joon soon too he is just a lost puppy at the moment 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AlexandraReid said:

fashion

omg GUYS, PREVIEW is out!

So I tried really hard removing the video link as per rules but couldnt :/ 

Looks like mad dog is reduced to 3 from 5 with noori and kangwoo out of the picture for now :/ and OMG is that minjoon super worried for hari meeting hyungki alone:wub:

Edited by bebebisous33
quoted video- please remove this next time
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, crazyyo said:

Glad to see you are liking the drama , you will start liking min joon soon too he is just a lost puppy at the moment 

Another 3 episodes later I'm warming up to him. :wink:

While I can't say I like him as much as I do the other members of Mad Dog yet, I understood that his MO is almost entirely driven by survivor's guilt and a lot of pride. KW has his own issues as well (being so close to the whole tragedy it's not so surprising) but he nailed MJ perfectly when he questioned his motives for wanting to rip open a lot of all wounds. To the show's credit, it doesn't whitewash the consequences of him trying to reopen the whole can of worms. I don't necessarily think it's wrong for MJ to want some closure and assuage whatever guilt he has for being such a scumbag the last time he saw his brother but there's no doubt that coming into this he was a bull in a china shop and rubbed everyone (including me) the wrong way. Of course, I don't blame him for taking that approach on some level because I'm sure he's been stonewalled by a whole heap of people and it would be hard for KW to accept that the prevailing narrative about the plane crash is riddled with problems. It's a complex situation. He's undoubtedly very intelligent but also on some level emotionally immature. He pretends a lot... his tough guy, devil-may-care demeanour is a protective shell and the cracks do come to the fore with KW and NR. 

I imagine the show is doing their best to milk the UST between MJ and NR :D It's cute... I like it enough to not be put off by it. It works well in the context because it helps bring out another side to MJ. Obviously it's bread crumbs to the audience who are hankering for a bit of the R word. I don't really think it's necessary in this show but as long as it doesn't detract from the main storyline, I'm okay for them to pursue that line.

I adore YJT in this. He's such a wonderfully versatile actor and so organic with his facial expressions. I discovered him in Healer and he was absolutely my favourite thing in that series.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Another 3 episodes later I'm warming up to him. :wink:

While I can't say I like him as much as I do the other members of Mad Dog yet, I understood that his MO is almost entirely driven by survivor's guilt and a lot of pride. KW has his own issues as well (being so close to the whole tragedy it's not so) but he nailed MJ perfectly when he questioned his motives for wanting to rip open a lot of all wounds. To the show's credit, it doesn't whitewash the consequences of him trying to reopen the whole can of worms. I don't necessarily think it's wrong for MJ to want some closure and assuage whatever guilt he has for being such a scumbag the last time he saw his brother but there's no doubt that coming into this he was a bull in a china shop and rubbed everyone (including me) the wrong way. Of course, I don't blame him for taking that approach on some level because I'm sure he's been stonewalled by a whole heap of people and it would be hard for KW to accept that the prevailing narrative about the plane crash is riddled with problems. It's a complex situation. He's undoubtedly very intelligent but also on some level emotionally immature. He pretends a lot... his tough guy, devil-may-care demeanour is a protective shell and the cracks do come to the fore with KW and NR. 

I imagine the show is doing their best to milk the UST between MJ and NR :D It's cute... I like it enough to not be put off by it. It works well in the context because it helps bring out another side to MJ. Obviously it's bread crumbs to the audience who are hankering for a bit of the R word. I don't really think it's necessary in this show but as long as it doesn't detract from the main storyline, I'm okay for them to pursue that line.

I adore YJT in this. He's such a wonderfully versatile actor and so organic with his facial expressions. I discovered him in Healer and he was absolutely my favourite thing in that series.

Perfect description of minjoon I have read so far :D. As for mj and hari couple I'm in dilemma tbh , I LOVE the couple seriously and I want them to end up together at the end but I feel worried that given the context of drama their loveline (not the flirting they do but the romantic stuff people do in dramas) would be a bit off putting. So basically what I want is lots of flirting and romance (Rated romance would be good hahah) between them in a way that doesn't seem awkward and off putting , writers please don't dissapoint me.

YJT is such a good actor I have only watched him in the movie the old boy, watching him now he reallly knows how to express emotions, his eyes looks so sad even when he seems ok thus showing the inner emotions of a man whose family got killed :/ 

• Like 3

Ah... I knew, I knew it. Something was up with Han Wu. So sad... but not surprising when the man has so much on his plate that he would cave to the pressure. Yeah, it's a mess but vulnerable people with money issues always fall prey to the big wigs in these dramas. In the end the big twist is that the claims manager Moo Shin who was being an obnoxious so and so in the beginning was really not such a bad guy after all. In the end he was just following the rabbit trail that he was supposed to.

What lovely irony... an insurance company pulling off their own insurance scam while trying to chase down other insurance scammers. Under duress perhaps?

The best part of it that the Mad Dogs are a nice family unit and take really good care of KW. They just know what he needs and what needs to be done while he's occupied elsewhere. I really like the relationship he has with Ha Ri and increasingly with MJ as well. He does "get" MJ and that indulgent smile proves it. Overall I can see a parallel dynamic with the one in Healer. The thawing of relations has begun but MJ is still on the outer fringes in every sense of that phrase. He's sort of the foreigner, the outsider in this and perhaps the writer is suggesting because of that he has a kind of clarity and distance that the others can't have. He doesn't have attachments apart from the brother he's lost but he has nothing really else to lose except his neck and feels free to do all the nutty, reckless stuff. 

Awww... he does like Ha Ri... The only soft spot in his tough guy shell. Very sweet of him to tell her to put the file back because he can't let anything bad happen to her. 

Choi Won Young is rather too good at playing psychopaths that he may start getting type cast soon. :wink:

Two more episodes before I catch up.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, AlexandraReid said:

SPOILER alert haha, i assume some of you guys will love this @triplem @RPM

Lol!! Looks like I have to watch real quick & catch up with all the episodes. Hmm I might just cheat & watch these cuts first :D

37 minutes ago, triplem said:

@40somethingahjumma Wanted to say hi! Missed reading you since manxman. Glad that you picked this up. I’m only up to eps 6 . Anyway look forward to your posts! 

Hi dear, how are you?

Yeah, I've been busy with C dramas after Man to Man and nothing else in Kdramaland apart from Criminal Minds interested me so I started watching other things on Netflix and on offer from Mainland China.

You need to catch up dear so that we can all have a good chat. :D I need to as well. I'm a bit surprised the Mad Dog isn't more popular. Maybe I shouldn't be... most of the shows I enjoy aren't hugely popular but you knew that already. :wink: 

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Hi dear, how are you?

Yeah, I've been busy with C dramas after Man to Man and nothing else in Kdramaland apart from Criminal Minds interested me so I started watching other things on Netflix and on offer from Mainland China.

You need to catch up dear so that we can all have a good chat. :D I need to as well. I'm a bit surprised the Mad Dog isn't more popular. Maybe I shouldn't be... most of the shows I enjoy aren't hugely popular but you knew that already. :wink: 

I am doing well. Started too many dramas at once. :D I watched one c drama after manxman. I like it but somehow c dramas have not hooked me fully. I can understand some mandarin but I think it’s the dubbed voices that bothers me. 

Back to the drama , what are your thoughts on Hong Joo? Where do you think her loyalty lies? Is she clueless to all that has been going on at Taeyang? @bebebisous33 you brought this up earlier right ?

Edit: @Dhakra prepare to lose your bet with @stroppyse :lol:. The latest stills do not work in your favour.

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, triplem said:

I am doing well. Started too many dramas at once. :D I watched one c drama after manxman. I like it but somehow c dramas have not hooked me fully. I can understand some mandarin but I think it’s the dubbed voices that bothers me. 

Back to the drama , what are your thoughts on Hong Joo? Where do you think her loyalty lies? Is she clueless to all that has been going on at Taeyang? @bebebisous33 you brought this up earlier right ?

Edit: @Dhakra prepare to lose your bet with @stroppyse :lol:. The latest stills do not work in your favour.

About Hong Jo: now, she has chosen her father's side but since she has been struggling so much, I am really wondering if CHJ won't betray her father. CHJ is not aware of all her father's misdeeds.  

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Sure you don't want to watch episode 9 before discussing this? :wink:

I think she's between a rock and a hard place right now. She's trying to be loyal to Dad and the company to prove herself but I don't think she knows the full extent of the skullduggery that's going on. 

• Like 1