[Drama 2017-2018] Just Between Lovers 그냥 사랑하는 사이

Go Seung Ji

waah, that was emotional ride. Since i got to know that GD will be sick I was waiting for all episodes to come out. I didn't watch last week ones coz I thought I will be to depressed for whole week so I waited to watch all 4 at once. I checked here only once to see if I'm gonna cry ^^ (i will check later what i missed here, I have to work so no time for pleasure. please forgive me if i repeated myself)

i think ending was pretty good, even though this liver thing didn't come out of nowhere (injury after accident, painkillers) i still feel i would be more healing to let them be together peacefully- it would be more healing for them and for me xD [don't remember when i was so stressed about drama last time, if I saw here some comment that he died i think i would not finish it]

but this ending let know people, who didn't know, that GD is amazing person and he made so many friends who were ready to give his liver to him. (I wonder if i'd found so many people ^^ better not to think about it). Also whole situation made GD more cautious about his health and body. I am happy that he finally stopped abusing his own body every time he was in pain.

for parents, they were finally able to break from this self-tormenting circle. Mather was so selfish and oblivious about other people pain. Her words to father, how can he so fine... i guess we all forget that the way we show pain so not he only way. I remembered tv series "I have lover" with amazing Kim Hyun Joo- and how deeply she hide her being hurt over her kid death.

Well good for mother to finally get her s*#*t together.

I liked how siblings ended up, i hope they will be happy with their new places in the world. We knew from the beginning that Sis was professional. :D

Damn i'm too busy, i will be back later when i have time to read Your comments. you guys have such a talent to put thoughts into words.

I will follow our lead to their next projects even if they're shitty ^^

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

One thing I'm curious about... you know how on the rooftop, there are sofa and even a fridge... they don't look like outdoor kind, would it be okay to leave them like that? Like what happen if it rains? I mean is it a norm in SK to leave furniture like that on the rooftop?

I was wondering about the fridge too. May be they would cover it with something waterproof when it rains. But I don't think it is common in Korea, I've seen there only furniture suitable for outdoors on their rooftops and terraces.

10 hours ago, yaoxuan said:

"留白" is a literary skill, and means not to explain the plots of a drama or a literature, even inclouding

some circumstances and consequences. 

you're right! I like this literary skill :)

15 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

can you see it Granny?

Granny's so happy!

Finally watched Epi 15 & 16.

KD & MS , JY & kD, SM & Mother scenes made me cried few times. I thought the rooftop scene was KD's last moment and didn't expect to have a HAPPY ENDING for our OTP.

I love seeing GD's relationship with others especially SM & Mother, YJ, Mari and finally with his sister, JY.

I'm glad we have proper closures for MS's parents, Yj & YT, JW , Mari, SM & JY.

I like KD handling Grandma's $ according to her wishes and having JY and SM helping out with the clinic.

JunHo and WJA totally proven they can handled lead roles and I wish more Kviewers will appreciate their acting skills. 

Thank you to everyone who has shared their :heart: and insights here. 

I stayed up till almost 4 finishing the last 3 episodes last night, but not before checking here to see if I was going to be depressed or not :D

I have loved this show for all the same reasons so many people here have mentioned - the writing, dialog, cinematography, editing, music, acting. The whole cast and crew should be really, really proud of this show.

Thank you so much to @stroppyse, @Mau_Cherry and so many other people who live recapped and translated the episodes and clips and posted instagrams - you keep me coming back to soompi. I hope to see you all in other channels!

17 hours ago, reut said:

Same! They looked so awkward and tense, like they just met and didn't know how to properly lean into each other. If I didn't know better I'd think it was their very first day of filming, jumping right into a kissing scene and that's why they look a bit out of it. Maybe it had to be filmed in a haste, with only one take, and everyone involved was too stressed to do it right... But yeah. This very last one, closing shot was kind of a disappointment. A drop of tar in a barrel of honey ))

My theory about this is  that I think this was actually a case of the actress being uncomfortable with the more passionate kissing scenes. In the previous episodes, to me at least, she always looked painfully out of her comfort zone during the kissing scenes. She would visibly flinch when Gang Doo's lips touched hers, her body was stiff and leaning/facing away from him, her lip quivered at one point etc... I had a suspicion that she wasn't cool with those scenes after the snow kiss and after I saw the BTS it kind of sealed the deal for me. 

I think as a rookie actress whose debut was in a romance she might have wanted to try to match the trend of more passionate kisses, and this is probably what the director's original expectation for her was (even if it wasn't explicitly stated so), but, unfortunately, her body kept sending out all those subconscious SOS signals that she was forcing herself into something she didn't want to do and it showed (at least it did to me). I know Junho must have been aware that she was uncomfortable (I like to secretly think that's part of the reason he pulls back and looks at her whenever he kisses her, as if he's checking that she's okay) and I was hoping he would say something to the director about it since I have a feeling she would have continued forcing herself before she admitted to anyone that was uncomfortable.

Fortunately, it looks like someone eventually spoke up since all the kissing scenes in the last episode were kept chaste, gentle, and simple and the camera angles (more shots of Junho's face, more far-away panned out shots etc...) were used in a way that took the pressure off of her for needing to be more involved in the kissing. I thought she looked far more relaxed in the kissing scenes in the final episode so I was actually really pleased with them. I think it's completely understandable that making out may have been a bit too much too early for her and think it's really admirable that she had a great co-star and director that picked up on that and were able to make adjustments for her.

Ironically, I felt that the toning down of the kissing actually made those scenes more passionate and romantic in a way because it was like he was intentionally holding back because he cared so much about her and wanted her to be as happy and at ease as possible. So maybe if you think of it that way it will become less of a drop of tar in a barrel of honey moment and more of a swoon-worthy one? 

6 hours ago, angelkhaterine1211 said:

Is this the one that played when they are kissing for the first time? In Episode 6? I'm searching for it like crazy and no one seems to know!!!! 

In this link: 

https://youtu.be/KWllXbOxxKA

It's also the background song for Just Between Lovers in the making, I think. Anybody know? 

THIS ONE!!! HUHU

where is this songgg ? ;(

I have seen a number of comments about about the night at the hotel and did they or didn't they sleep together. 

I honestly feel like it is left for the viewers...though I didn't get the impression they slept together. 
 I am aware most viewer wanted there to be more to happen.  It doesn't mean the director or script writer wasn't implying it did, it's just not how I understood it.....Let me state,  I don't believe there is anything less romantic if it was only them lovingly holding one another the whole night.

So why do I lean more conservatively on the events of that night.?

1. They were both "fully" clothed, as in shirts and pants were still on.  DG could have had his shirt off, as he did in previous episodes. A man without his shirt on in bed is pretty customary in k-dramas when they want to lead people to think that the couple slept together, even if the girl is still wearing her tank....

2. GD's health. His energy and strength level is low, his pain level is high. He's dying...It would take a lot for him to feel passionate much less act on it, especially if he is suffering from the rising toxicity in his system do to a failing liver. 

3. GD is extremely protective on how he treats and honors MS, he knows how women who've worked at the bar are viewed.  He totally want's to be more intimate with her but he keeps holding himself back, because he cherishes and values her so deeply...He's careful... even more so knowing the likelihood is he won't have much time left.... He NEVER would want to do anything that could cause her hurt or regret, he couldn't bare it. 

So these are the reasons why  I wasn't 100% convinced it was a night beyond cuddling...but I also  know MS is frustrated by his reserved "pure" nature, so he keeps pushing him to get closer....So maybe she miraculously got her way...In the end... I really think it's sort of personal how you choose to view the scene that we don't see real played out, either way we know they grew closer together that night as a couple which makes me happy. 

I love this thread where we can share different points of view and its all right because we are not the same person, not same experience.
JBL for me is more value and meaningful while reading all your share insight thought. Thank you.

According to scene night at hotel. Can someone please share thought why he is leaving? :lol: 
Is because he feeling not well. and he do not know how to tell MS?

Spoiler

XPgwCaL.jpg

1 minute ago, piekeboeboe said:

According to scene night at hotel. Can someone please share thought why he is leaving? :lol: 

He said he needs to take care of things.

My personal take is - he knows his body is deteriorating (no donor at this point and MS doesn't know that yet) and can't really tell MS, plus he probably has a list of things he need to take care of like what Grandma did when she knew she's very sick.

16 minutes ago, angelkhaterine1211 said:

No, it's not it.

It's a girl's voice with piano, i think you can hear it also in first kissing scene in episode 6. It's so beautiful! 

oh you're right. It's not released yet. 

I think in itunes they only have 4 songs right now :(

48 minutes ago, piekeboeboe said:

Seems like he thought he is dying, felt like he will die soon, so he left to die alone, not in front of her, you know "in a cool way" like he said to MS before. This is actually a sad version... 
And may be what he told her was  truth:  had some matters to deal with. But he might have just lied.

For me coming to this thread is like watching extended episodes of JBL. People here notice many things that I don't, so I discover something new. And yes I like it that we share our opinions, and it's interesting how different it's sometimes.

47 minutes ago, babycrayon said:

Seems like he thought he is dying, felt like he will die soon, so he left to die alone, not in front of her, you know "in a cool way" like he said to MS before. This is actually a sad version... 
And may be what he told her was  truth:  had some matters to deal with. But he might have just lied.

For me coming to this thread is like watching extended episodes of JBL. People here notice many things that I don't, so I discover something new. And yes I like it that we share our opinions, and it's interesting how different it's sometimes.

I too feel like this - like he fells that he is so not allright and he wanted to leave her while she is smiling - not made her cry in the end. But I too think he had a few thinks to handle - maybe to set up the clinic leaving a wish for his Sis to run it instead of Granny. Whatever - he would never die with all that money and without thinking how to take care for sis, MS and SM maybe even Ma Ri. So on his - as the thought last day - there where things to do and he could not allow MS to be with him in that times - he needed to stay strong. How could he with her on his side crying or holding in her tears as good as possible.

But later - he was just relieved to see MS before he has to leave- the rooftop scene - my most heartbreaking moment - I cried so hard - even I had full trust for the happy end - the feeling thats both thought he died - that felt too real for me.

Archived