[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Evolution of Our Love 爱情进化论

sugarplum892

ugh!! I can't stand QQ anymore. she so annoying to the point I don't want to see her near our OTP. 
LITERALLY, he just told her off not to come and she come to the party and the DAD is so ugh! Gotta love the mom! 

QQ is becoming a stalker or she need a doctor. She is crazy for Rou Yan! Her attitude is becoming so annoying and if it continue to be like this the next 20 something episodes, I would skip her scene

7 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I like the Taiwan version. Both lead characters are so well balanced. We didn't know Bolin character was in love with Ariel character till a lot later.

Qing Qing character is extremely annoying. So annoying to the extent that she seems like a stalker and so creepy. I would have totally freak out. She is so delusional that she really needs to be admit mental hospital. 

Ruo yan is so under utilise of his acting ability in this drama. But I love his subtle jealous reactions to the assistantop touching Crystal''s hand. I thought he was going to explode right there and then. 

And I have to AGREE THIS ONE! 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SugarBear said:

QQ is becoming a stalker or she need a doctor. She is crazy for Rou Yan! Her attitude is becoming so annoying and if it continue to be like this the next 20 something episodes, I would skip her scene

She's gone by episode 17!

Spoiler

Thank goodness, Lufei must have recognized Kevin as the guy who came to have his teeth checked and went to his home to talk to him.

Ruoman's first love has returned from abroad!

@creidesca @SugarBear @cheekychipmunk_stv Lu Fei is now free from that clingy, needy and frustrating Qing Qing. She is the 1st female character for whom i can use colourful expletives.

I even let off 2nd female and all those mother-in-law characters  but this Qing made me furious. Writer deserves some words too. Every character out there acted as Qing's cheerleader.

I saw Episode 16 raw and it feels good to see that we the audience are getting rid of Qing.I found most of the female characters in the show annoying, except cousin of Lu Fei.

Even Lu Fei need to be criticised the way he handled this self-claimed girlfriend issue. I found it specifically annoying  that noone asked Lu Fei whether Qing was his girlfriend. Lu Fei being fence sitter to an extent was alright but he let situation slide and let the situation become this level of trash.

I can't at all accept the behaviour and views of mom either. She's outright abusive. I'm more surprised by that fact that parents aren't even divorced. Terrible parents.

Heck, I think Lu Fei prefers heroine's parents more and they surely love, trust and rely on him more than their own daughter. Mother spoke about Qing's act of moving into Lu Fei's house but its clear from episode 15 that She married his father because of pregnancy itself.

Hypocrite.

Seriously, Lu Fei needs to make things clear with many people around him. Specifically to mom and the Heroine or he will never be happy all his life.

Lu Fei's an idiot for allowing Qing Qing to make so many decisions and rumours but he can only stop being passive if he starts being assertive in front of his mother and later with heroine.

13 hours ago, creidesca said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thank goodness, Lufei must have recognized Kevin as the guy who came to have his teeth checked and went to his home to talk to him.

Ruoman's first love has returned from abroad!

OMG THANK GOODNESS!!! 

finally the 2nd lead is coming in the plot line. 

10 hours ago, catocat said:

Lu Fei's an idiot for allowing Qing Qing to make so many decisions and rumours but he can only stop being passive if he starts being assertive in front of his mother and later with heroine.

ikr! I'm so frustrated that LF let QQ meek so much decision and what I cant stand is that he doesn't even make things clear such as QQ isn't his gf at all. also wth is wrong with him letting QQ in his house. 

I'm just glad that QQ is out and the 2nd lead is coming. I cant wait for what dramas will have for our OTP

Have watched 13-14 ep. thus far & DEAR LORD I WANT TO KILL QING2 I SWEAR:crazy:

Like have some self respect woman ffs! I thought she was embarrassed when Lu Fei rebuffed her advances but nope, the girl has ZERO SHAME. Naivete doesn't cut it either:rolleyes: Qing2 acts like a spoiled child & who gives her the right to set up Ruo Man with some random guy?! 

EW to the An Zhuo character:P The noona-dongsaeng thing is tackled similarly in "Here to Heart" & was just as poorly executed. Those need to be left to the experts - K-dramas:D

This just seem like a OTT remake that's a weak version compared to its original. With 40 ep slated to this drama I seriously wonder how they're goin' to wrap this up. 

Lu Fei is such a pushover & Ruo Man is too wishy washy. I don't see what the big deal is with the men and women can't remain as friends argument LoL. 

The only parts I enjoy are the silly dancing end sequence & the interviews with ordinary folk on their dating life. 

I'm somewhat annoyed by how this drama keep bringing up Ruo Man's age..? I mean she's 28 NOT 58 LoL! They make it look like Ruo Man is some expired product. Whereas a woman of her status - financially independent, career driven.. Of course bad temper aside. I think Ruo Man's doin' fine for herself. Very accomplished for a 28 y.o. Not many her age can afford their car let alone an apartment! It's kind of sexist<_< & prejudiced. 

I have to take a break from watching because of that annoying little delusional creeper. 

I'm on episode 15. 

On 8/10/2018 at 1:30 PM, creidesca said:

@creidesca Thank the lord!. I have never in my drama watching life be this annoyed with a character, not to say the sorta second lead. 

I don't know if it's the actress look and acting that made her character so much worse on top of how annoying and creepy her character in this version is written but I swear i'm to the point of not even wanting to see her anywhere on screen or hear her being mention. 

On 8/10/2018 at 4:22 AM, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I like the Taiwan version. Both lead characters are so well balanced. We didn't know Bolin character was in love with Ariel character till a lot later.

Qing Qing character is extremely annoying. So annoying to the extent that she seems like a stalker and so creepy. I would have totally freak out. She is so delusional that she really needs to be admit mental hospital. 

@cheekychipmunk_stv @catocat @SugarBear

Maggie, QQ character in the original In Time With You was a tiny bit annoying at times but she wasn't this bad. 

She wasn't this annoying, she was not creepy and stalkerish. She also did not throw herself on him time after time and this shameless. 

She did once but they were also actually dating. They were in an official relationship and broke up when Bolin realizes that he still loves Ariel. So all her butting in, jealousy was valid since she IS his girlfriend. She still have some dignity to let go when she finally realize that she can never compete with Ariel for the position in Bolin's heart. So in the end, even though it didn't work out she was sorta a good "first" girlfriend for him, someone who help Bolin realizes what he really wants in his heart. Her character was important. If anything Maggie could have a chance against Ariel...a rival to really make Ariel jealous. 

I don't know why the writer decide to ruin QQ character in here. She is nothing but annoyance. Maybe it's the acting but I don't find any of it "cute" or "adorable". She is like a 3 years old. It's an insult to put her against Ai Rouman as a "rival' unlike the original. I hope there is another 2nd lead to be in Lu Fei's life...someone who can actually rival Ai Rouman after this annoying QQ is gone, and I hope she is gone fast. If there is a contest for the most annoying and hated character in drama history, she would win it. 

It also really irritate me how much of a push over Lu Fei is. I mean given his character in all version has always been nice and a push over but to be THIS push over when one, she is not even his girlfriend and two how can he not see how creepy this is. I thought this Lu Fei have a bit stronger back bone than the others but guess not. 

On 8/10/2018 at 1:17 AM, angelangie said:

like wise Ariel did a good job together with Bolin......

hmmmm so this is the mainland version....i might just watch it for Zhang Rou Yun :D 

@angelangie

Arial and Bolin indeed did a very good job. I think i became a fan of both of them after the drama. 

In this one, I think Zhang Tian Ai and Zhang Rou Yun is doing a good job too. I didn't pay much attention to them before but I think I'm starting to like them here too. 

In China remake, Lu Fei knowsur his heart belongs to Rouman only. He never wavers. However whenever he tred to declare his feelings to Ruo man, he always got brushed aside. Ruo man is in great denial on her feelings for Lu Fei. She felt it a few times when he hugged her but she refused to acknowledged those feelings. She rather chase after her crush like a crazy girl ... a bit like QQ but less stalkish.

Lu Fei has problems expressing himself due to his family upbringing. His mother load him with guilt and dominates him. He doesnt want to hurt her feelings after what his father did n he knows he was the nwanted kid that forced his parents to get married. 

1 annoying character about Ruo man is that it is always about her and her love life. The way she moons over her crush is :crazy:. It's amazing how Lu Fei can bear her. Even when he was drunk, she kept on and on about her crush bring sick n wants Lu Fei to teach her how to make a meal for her sick crush while Lu Fei was still recovering from his drunkenness. He has patient of a saint.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:56 PM, litopanda said:

This is the mainland version of In Time with You? 

I was looking at this and was thinking the same but wasn't exactly sure that it's really a version of the Taiwanese drama. Because there are a few mainland dramas that also tell the same best friends - lovers kinda story. 

Seem interesting. In Time with You is a favorite of mine and like @Kim Yunmi said, that drama from acting to script and delivery was really good. There was a korean version of it too but in my opinion the korean version (even though it star Ha Ji Won, and I also love Ha Ji Won)...story telling wise...it really failed. 

I hope this one doesn't disappoints.  ^_^

I'm Korean and gotta agree with you that the Korean version failed in several large aspects. I don't think they understood the "heart" of the story as well as the original TW version. The heart of the story was more on playing with gender roles and the pressure those creates for men AND women. But they only examined the woman's side and chose an actor that exuded manliness from the get-go (and I do like the cast, just not for that particular piece.) I crashed watched In Time with You again. OMG so gooood. I mean it's the type of drama I would watch over and over. If I was in a coma, and I had to relearn all of the dramas I've ever watched, it definitely would be on my list.

I agree, BTW, that Maggie wasn't as annoying as Qx2. I mean Da Ren allowed Maggie to declare them into a relationship together, but she wasn't delusional. Lu Fei--I kinda want him to push back a bit more... Just a tad, because Da Ren in the original also pushed back on You Qing's pride, etc and didn't let her completely run over him. Because then I can believe in the longevity of the relationship.

I do quibble with them making him a dentist, since it kinda defeated the original point of Da Ren not being rich and not looking that special on the surface--so not that great of a "catch" Also You Qing sticking up for him when her parents took advantage of him. (Which isn't a spoiler until you watch it and spot it).

@moon-flower
Ruo Man, to me, comes off anger first, pride later... whereas Ariel did pride first and anger only when she needed to stick up for her subordinates or friends. I believed Ariel's vulnerability right away and the thing was, I sided with You Qing getting angry when her subordinates got mistreated, etc. But when Ruoman gets angry I just don't feel it because it's like she has a temper over absolutely everything. She's angry at the flowers, she's angry at everything so it's not selective. I don't feel for her in the same way. When You Qing was prideful, I felt the reason for it--she needed to appear strong to her superiors and people around her as a career woman. It connected story-wise *to* something, ya know. Even if I don't have that feel of pride or arrogance, you got the feeling it was from her trying so, so hard to make it when people wanted her to fail. You knew it was a messy front for a whole lot of delicacy.

For the Peanut Gallery

I'm not looking forward to second male lead at all. I couldn't believe in the original how people were like he's so sexy. Like WTF. How is throwing someone's purse sexy? That's abusive. How is telling her when and where and how she should feel and be with sexy? Maybe people's minds shifted after MeToo... I hope. 'cause I can't think of a man throwing your things around, threatening you, etc as sexy. I hope that this drama is honest about his character at least and shows how she gets addicted to the highs and lows that MMC doesn't have.

8 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

In China remake, Lu Fei knowsur his heart belongs to Rouman only. He never wavers. However whenever he tred to declare his feelings to Ruo man, he always got brushed aside. Ruo man is in great denial on her feelings for Lu Fei. She felt it a few times when he hugged her but she refused to acknowledged those feelings. She rather chase after her crush like a crazy girl ... a bit like QQ but less stalkish.

Lu Fei has problems expressing himself due to his family upbringing. His mother load him with guilt and dominates him. He doesnt want to hurt her feelings after what his father did n he knows he was the nwanted kid that forced his parents to get married. 

1 annoying character about Ruo man is that it is always about her and her love life. The way she moons over her crush is :crazy:. It's amazing how Lu Fei can bear her. Even when he was drunk, she kept on and on about her crush bring sick n wants Lu Fei to teach her how to make a meal for her sick crush while Lu Fei was still recovering from his drunkenness. He has patient of a saint.

@cheekychipmunk_stv

In every version, the main guy always love the girl. In the TW version, Bolin (Da Ren) never try to confess to her after one kinda failed attempt in the past...and because of how strong her personality is, he never dare to "love' her again. So for all 15 years he actually made himself believe that he don't really love her as a man and woman until of course maggie happen and then You Qing's ex showed up. That's when he finally realize he can't just maintain this "pure friendship" relationship with her. 

In this CH version,  I'm actually really glad that it shows Lu Fei's struggle and many fail attempt of confessing and made us feel why he chose to maintain this level of friendship with Rouman. In the other version, I always question if Da Ren would just man up earlier, everything would have been. I kinda did blame Da Ren on the delay in their relationship since he was the one throwing away so many opportunity. But in here, I can now finally understand Lu Fei and their struggles. It's not that Lu Fei is too afraid to confess but every chance he got, Rouman always ruin it. So they are both at fault. 

Between Rouman and You Qing. I kinda like You Qing more because her "strong, mature" personality is constant throughout her life. While I can't help but roll my eyes every time Rouman "cries" for Ding Yuan or be so fan girling over him. I was like what happen to you being strong? As of right now, I just felt her character was written very...confusing...its like she is strong when the writer want her to and not when it fit the story or humor. Kinda annoying in a way. 

Despite that, I honestly love how they change Ding Yuan character to be more of an idol to her and her first love instead of an ex. I always wonder why You Qing would EVER in her life go back to her CHEATING ex. And thought she was seriously really dumb for doing so. In this one, I'm interested in how it plays out and maybe I would hate the second lead a little less haha. In the other one, I have every valid reason to hate him. in this one, I don't know anymore. He is too cute and so far even though I want to hate him (because who wouldn't root for the "main" lead) but I can't find any reason yet. 

6 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

I'm Korean and gotta agree with you that the Korean version failed in several large aspects. I don't think they understood the "heart" of the story as well as the original TW version. The heart of the story was more on playing with gender roles and the pressure those creates for men AND women. But they only examined the woman's side and chose an actor that exuded manliness from the get-go (and I do like the cast, just not for that particular piece.) I crashed watched In Time with You again. OMG so gooood. I mean it's the type of drama I would watch over and over. If I was in a coma, and I had to relearn all of the dramas I've ever watched, it definitely would be on my list.

I agree, BTW, that Maggie wasn't as annoying as Qx2. I mean Da Ren allowed Maggie to declare them into a relationship together, but she wasn't delusional. Lu Fei--I kinda want him to push back a bit more... Just a tad, because Da Ren in the original also pushed back on You Qing's pride, etc and didn't let her completely run over him. Because then I can believe in the longevity of the relationship.

I do quibble with them making him a dentist, since it kinda defeated the original point of Da Ren not being rich and not looking that special on the surface--so not that great of a "catch" Also You Qing sticking up for him when her parents took advantage of him. (Which isn't a spoiler until you watch it and spot it).

@Kim Yunmi

I remember I was so excited for the Korean Version because I love Ha Ji Won and thought she was cast well as the main girl. And then I watched it and was so disappointed I want to throw my computer out the window. lol You are right, they did not understand the "heart" of the show or even the "heart" of the characters. Ha ji Won's character was written so whiny and dependent.....it defeat every purpose this story want to tell. Don't even get me started on the main guy....lol 

I think every country's drama have a style of it's own that it does really well and you can really tell when watching it. For instance Hong Kong dramas (when it used to be good) are better at cops/investigation/undercover shows in my opinion.While Taiwanese shows are more family style dramas where it's mostly light hearted and focus a lot on the family aspect or just comedy. Mainland dramas have been a mix to me since a lot of dramas i like from mainland are more historical or period fantasy. There is only one or two modern one that I like from mainland so far but I think the modern ones are getting a bit better and better hence this drama. As for Korean, I always like their romantic comedy or melodrama. 

For them to attempt a remake of In Time with You, a more of slice of life drama...they really fail because i don't think they understand how to write or make it well. They use their formula of a romantic comedy or melodrama in a story that is really neither a romantic comedy or melodrama. Like you said, they didn't understand the true meaning of the story and it's character. 

I'm actually really glad that this mainland version stays pretty close to the original in time of feels and it's "heart". 

Qing Qing was super annoying but Im gonna look past that because she really aint important. lol 

I also don't understand why they made him a dentist either....I guess to maybe give him more "pride". As in he could be well, rich , and better if he want to but he doesn't. In fact I feel like he is only doing his job with minimal effort because he doesn't want hurt Rouman's pride if he is better off than her. Just my guess though. 

I also hated Ding Yuan's character in the original. I thought he was a bastard and how could You Qing be so dumb to get back with him. Even when he does good things like take care of her or her parents. It wasn't even redeemable in my eyes. When the plane thing...I lowkey laugh and sorta wish he is really dead haha I'm so mean. I was disappointed when he came back alive and You Qing went to the airport all emotional and rubbing it in the heartbroken Da Ren's face. I hate that scene. One of the knot I still have in my heart till this day is the fact that I never felt, even in the original that You Qing really appreciate everything Da Ren did for her. Even though they got together at the end, I felt like he "forgives" her too easily or/and she haven't "suffer" enough with his absence. Maybe it's just me but I feel like all their life, she always take him for granted for him always being by her side and all that and when everything happen he finally leave. I just felt like She should have at least regret it a little more or suffer a little more of "losing him" before he come back. You know what i mean? 

i hope this one would be a little more satisfying.

As for the DIng Yuan in here, I feel like he is probably gonna have the same controlling personality. I hope so because i need a reason to not like him for Rouman haha. 

1 hour ago, litopanda said:

@Kim Yunmi

I remember I was so excited for the Korean Version because I love Ha Ji Won and thought she was cast well as the main girl. And then I watched it and was so disappointed I want to throw my computer out the window. lol You are right, they did not understand the "heart" of the show or even the "heart" of the characters. Ha ji Won's character was written so whiny and dependent.....it defeat every purpose this story want to tell. Don't even get me started on the main guy....lol 

I think every country's drama have a style of it's own that it does really well and you can really tell when watching it. For instance Hong Kong dramas (when it used to be good) are better at cops/investigation/undercover shows in my opinion.While Taiwanese shows are more family style dramas where it's mostly light hearted and focus a lot on the family aspect or just comedy. Mainland dramas have been a mix to me since a lot of dramas i like from mainland are more historical or period fantasy. There is only one or two modern one that I like from mainland so far but I think the modern ones are getting a bit better and better hence this drama. As for Korean, I always like their romantic comedy or melodrama. 

For them to attempt a remake of In Time with You, a more of slice of life drama...they really fail because i don't think they understand how to write or make it well. They use their formula of a romantic comedy or melodrama in a story that is really neither a romantic comedy or melodrama. Like you said, they didn't understand the true meaning of the story and it's character. 

I'm actually really glad that this mainland version stays pretty close to the original in time of feels and it's "heart". 

Qing Qing was super annoying but Im gonna look past that because she really aint important. lol 

I also don't understand why they made him a dentist either....I guess to maybe give him more "pride". As in he could be well, rich , and better if he want to but he doesn't. In fact I feel like he is only doing his job with minimal effort because he doesn't want hurt Rouman's pride if he is better off than her. Just my guess though. 

I also hated Ding Yuan's character in the original. I thought he was a bastard and how could You Qing be so dumb to get back with him. Even when he does good things like take care of her or her parents. It wasn't even redeemable in my eyes. When the plane thing...I lowkey laugh and sorta wish he is really dead haha I'm so mean. I was disappointed when he came back alive and You Qing went to the airport all emotional and rubbing it in the heartbroken Da Ren's face. I hate that scene. One of the knot I still have in my heart till this day is the fact that I never felt, even in the original that You Qing really appreciate everything Da Ren did for her. Even though they got together at the end, I felt like he "forgives" her too easily or/and she haven't "suffer" enough with his absence. Maybe it's just me but I feel like all their life, she always take him for granted for him by her side and all that and when everything happen he finally leave. I just felt like She should have at least regret it a little more or suffer a little more of "losing him" before he come back. You know what i mean? 

i hope this one would be a little more satisfying.

As for the DIng Yuan in here, I feel like he is probably gonna have the same controlling personality. I hope so because i need a reason to not like him for Rouman haha. 

Korea used to be good at the heart pounders, but it was often at the cost of feminism. I *do* think, though you can do feminism and have a heart pounder, but The Korean version of In Time With You was trying too hard to be both in some ways. Korea has been getting better with Slice of Life dramas, such as the 1997, etc series, but I side with the idea that longer episode counts means that you can do better slice of life rather than 16 episodes and trying to cram both slice of life and a three-act into it. 3 act structure doesn't work well with slice of life. It's kinda like trying to eat two foods that absolutely don't go together with no bridge in between.

Personally, probably since I watched Korean dramas since I was little, I've always had a secret hatred of the 3-act structure--which was adopted much later in Korea. The original In Time With You broke it which made me love it more.

I think Ding Yuan in the original was there to serve to contrast between the highs and the lows that You Qing always expected in all of her boyfriends... there were several long dialogues about how her taste in men was always horrible. How she always wanted someone to give her those really huge highs, and this was part of the reason she never went for Da Ren, never saw, him, and he also was able to bury his feelings. She wanted that teenage bliss, as it were of having that battle around the corner, the suspension bridge, etc. But it clearly showed how abusive that is in wanting such highs and lows.

Lu Fei does have to change if he's tried to confess so many times and failed at it. I don't think it's a matter of Da Ren "manning up" but more he says in episode 1 the reason he won't confess is because he recognizes that You Qing needs a friend more than a boyfriend and boyfriends for her come and go and since she never looked his way, he won't risk being near her and making him lose her only really, really good friend to become something more. (Stage play, near the end, repeated again when he pretends to ask her in his dream and then repeated, I think a third time--it's not just fear of rejection, but fear of being completely shut out of her life and also knowing she'll get angry at losing a friend).

Lu Fei and Rou man's central conflict is kinda different. It's more like "lost opportunity" rather than alienation caused him to stay in the friend zone. I have a feeling that she has other things to work through--not just the same things in the original for why she never looked at him that way.

I'm not sure what they're going for with Ding Yuan here, since they didn't cast someone that looks similar. I'm sure already by the latest episode he's cheating with that phone call, but I kinda want to see some of the abusive behavior too... the contrast as it were to Lu Fei. As in the point of the original character was to say sometimes slow and steady and a little boring is OK (a line from Da Ren says something similar. That he can't give You Qing extreme highs, but he promises to not give her the extreme lows either, and if she's OK with that they can be together.) I do think they might pick up on the theme from the original that your memory of a relationship is always better than the actuality of it, which was why You Qing went back--she erased everything that went wrong the first time as well as her addiction to the Honeymoon phase, despite Da Ren warning her repeatedly that the Ding Yuan there was the worst of all of her boyfriends ever.

BTW, since Japan's episode count is so short, often I really like from them the Psychological mind screws, and they do high concept dramas really well. Also low budget productions from Japan never take themselves seriously like elsewhere, which is why those are really good. Japan also does slice of life extremely well when given the episode count and I really like the command of tone which often is consistent. Outside of Rom Coms they purposefully do, the romance sucks. Like really sucks. Also tend to do a lot of mystery/thrillers which sell the best in the country though they import the majority of rom com from Korea (except when Korea went dry and then demand went up.). Though Nigehaji was really good, that's the exception, not the rule. In Time With You, though, I thought would be totally up Japan's ally. I agree mainland tends to do historical the best, though I dislike watching 50+ episodes and then coming to a "they all died" ending or "could only be alive in the next life." A bit more finality wouldn't hurt. I don't mean like the closed endings of Korea, but say some more of the promises dealt with, if not met?

12 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

OH MY GOODNESS... a C version of In Time with You! One of my favourite dramas of all time.

Is this any good?

If you can stand a 10x times more annoying version of Maggie... though some would say 100x more annoying. And some of the changes here and there... I think it might be a good back burner type of drama. It won't outdo Legend of Fu Yao or the original, I think, though.

About Episode 23:

Lu Fei has officially turned into a Cyrano type of character which is 10x more annoying than the original. Da Ren didn't put up with no crap about that relationship or Ding Li Wei, and now Lu Fei is just doing it anyway. He needs to stand up to Ruoman. I just am like do you play fetch too, Lu Fei?

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

OH MY GOODNESS... a C version of In Time with You! One of my favourite dramas of all time.

Is this any good?

@40somethingahjumma

I think it's pretty good so far, despite of Qing Qing.....lol You will know what i mean. 

It's pretty close to the original even thought like Kim Yunmi said, it still haven't and probably cannot outdo the original. 

1 hour ago, Kim Yunmi said:

Lu Fei does have to change if he's tried to confess so many times and failed at it. I don't think it's a matter of Da Ren "manning up" but more he says in episode 1 the reason he won't confess is because he recognizes that You Qing needs a friend more than a boyfriend and boyfriends for her come and go and since she never looked his way, he won't risk being near her and making him lose her only really, really good friend to become something more. (Stage play, near the end, repeated again when he pretends to ask her in his dream and then repeated, I think a third time--it's not just fear of rejection, but fear of being completely shut out of her life and also knowing she'll get angry at losing a friend).

Lu Fei and Rou man's central conflict is kinda different. It's more like "lost opportunity" rather than alienation caused him to stay in the friend zone. I have a feeling that she has other things to work through--not just the same things in the original for why she never looked at him that way.

@Kim Yunmi

I need to go back to marathon through the original again to refresh my memory/mind on it. I realized even though I love it and it's my all time favorite drama, I don't remember much of it's detail until you remind me lol. 

Da Ren and Lu Fei both put You Qing and Rouman above everything even if it means to brush his love aside. You are right, Da Ren didn't confess because of lost opportunity, he chose to be her "friend". While in here Lu Fei is more about the fear of losing her and miss opportunity. Because you said that now I realize in the original Da Ren was her only "friend" really so it really add on to the fact that even if he confesses and they dated, he fear that if they break up You Qing would not only lose a boyfriend but also her only friend. Knowing her personality it will definitely destroy her. And because of how deep his love is for her, he rather just stay her friend in fear of not rejection or his own hurt feeling but hers.   while in here Rouman have another good friend she confides in and Lu Fei isn't her only friend. Like you said it had become more of lost opportunities. 

I'm not sure what they're going for with Ding Yuan here, since they didn't cast someone that looks similar. I'm sure already by the latest episode he's cheating with that phone call, but I kinda want to see some of the abusive behavior too... the contrast as it were to Lu Fei.

For Ding Yuan's character I'm sure they will, seeing how close to the original they are staying. They changed some stuff here and there but for most part it's pretty close to the original. So I wouldn't be surprised if Ding Yuan was in fact a wolf in sheep clothing. From the opening and the birthday dinner, you can see that Lu Fei doesn't really like Ding Yuan. I don't think it's fully because of Rouman's crush on him....I feel like Lu Fei knows/seen/experience the real Ding Yuan who is probably a jerk but disguise himself as a perfect dreamy guy in most girl's eyes. I don't think they would change the "nature" of his character. For now though, I will just admire his handsomeness before i start to find reasons to hate him haha. 

I haven't watch past episode 20...lol I found my stopping point. I'm waiting for a couple more episodes to come out before continuing because I know I would watch it so fast and then die waiting on cliffhangers. 

I think there is actually another "real" second lead for Lu Fei. I've seen her in the opening. i'm glad because Qing Qing is nowhere near qualified to be on the "same level" as Rouman in term of being someone Rouman could "lose' Lu Fei to. I'm interested because in the original Da Ren only have Maggie. I feel like this character is the good side of Maggie lol if Qing Qing is the ultimate annoying/bad side of Maggie. 

BTW, since Japan's episode count is so short, often I really like from them the Psychological mind screws, and they do high concept dramas really well. Also low budget productions from Japan never take themselves seriously like elsewhere, which is why those are really good. Japan also does slice of life extremely well when given the episode count and I really like the command of tone which often is consistent. Outside of Rom Coms they purposefully do, the romance sucks. Like really sucks. Also tend to do a lot of mystery/thrillers which sell the best in the country though they import the majority of rom com from Korea (except when Korea went dry and then demand went up.). Though Nigehaji was really good, that's the exception, not the rule. In Time With You, though, I thought would be totally up Japan's ally. I agree mainland tends to do historical the best, though I dislike watching 50+ episodes and then coming to a "they all died" ending or "could only be alive in the next life." A bit more finality wouldn't hurt. I don't mean like the closed endings of Korea, but say some more of the promises dealt with, if not met?

I actually haven't watch Japanese dramas in such a long time, mainly because they are not very prominent in drama sites recently. Like Viki or Dramafever are usually always filled with Korean, Chininese, and Taiwanese dramas. Japanese dramas are often overlook. Also i feel like I stopped because I couldn't stand their high pitch voice acting....you know what I mean right. lol

From my memory, I agree with you that Japan did really well for having so short of episode count. I mean like 10 to 13. The main leads barely kiss in Korean or Chinese dramas by that episode haha. Japan did do really good slice of life or school dramas and I thought In Time With You would be up their alley too but i guess we will have to wait and see. On their romance, I don't think they suck that much. I mean they do but i've like some of their own ones. One of my favorite is Proposal Daisakusen, it's a romance but also sorta slice of life and the whole idea of best friend - lost opportunity just like In Time with You. Surprisingly I really also like the Korean remake of it too. There is a mainland remake I think...but I couldn't get into it because it was REALLY cheesy..the mainland one. 

As for long episodes in Chinese dramas. i know what you mean. I was just talking about the same thing on another drama forum on how a lot of Chinese fantasy / historical dramas recent are soo long and draggy due to the production's greed to drag out the episodes and then cut it off at a cliffhanger to maybe get a sequel out of it. The best example would be Legend of Chusen and Princess Agent. With the number of episodes it have....they could finish the whole story but they drag and drag and drag it out so they can have a sequel. I was so frustrated watching them because they both start out so good. i'm so weary of starting another one, especially mainstream one just because I'm afraid to be disappointed again. That why i'm holding out on Fuyao and Martial Universe until I know the water is clear and I won't be disappointed haha. 

2 hours ago, litopanda said:

@40somethingahjumma

I think it's pretty good so far, despite of Qing Qing.....lol You will know what i mean. 

It's pretty close to the original even thought like Kim Yunmi said, it still haven't and probably cannot outdo the original. 

3 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

If you can stand a 10x times more annoying version of Maggie... though some would say 100x more annoying. And some of the changes here and there... I think it might be a good back burner type of drama. It won't outdo Legend of Fu Yao or the original, I think, though.

About Episode 23:

Reveal hidden contents

Lu Fei has officially turned into a Cyrano type of character which is 10x more annoying than the original. Da Ren didn't put up with no crap about that relationship or Ding Li Wei, and now Lu Fei is just doing it anyway. He needs to stand up to Ruoman. I just am like do you play fetch too, Lu Fei?

Ta guys... I don't expect it to be better than the original, mainly because well... Ariel Lin and Chen Bolin are more or less irreplaceable. ;)

And shock horror... it's actually being subbed at Viki. 

It's not bad so far. It seems to have some interesting things to say about the dating game in 21st century and the sorts of pressures that modern singles have to grapple with. Already even in these first 3 episodes one can sense that FL really does know RM better than anyone else. It's a pity she's not living at home with mum and dad (an aspect of the original I particularly liked) but yeah, the recontextualization is necessary... it's the reality for young people in C having to move to the big smoke to get good jobs.

The thing I like about the leads is that they really feel like a couple of people who have known each other for a while. ZRY does really well to project those romantic undercurrents while the female lead seems quite blissfully oblivious. I'm impressed (and little sad) that he went to French cooking school just so he could make her gourmet meals.

I know what you all mean about Qingqing... wow... talk about not being backwards in coming forwards. The aegyo is rather over-the-top undoubtedly but the thing that's to her credit (believe it or not) is that she can zero in on all of FL's attractive qualities already. Obviously it has something to do with the lenses that she's got on at the moment BUT it is beautifully contrasted with RM's attitude to him. She, on the other hand, takes him rather for granted. Sure, she has "friendship" blinkers on but his forbearance of her and how she interprets that is interesting. When he tells her that she's straightforward but not malicious, she immediately says that people who know understand her appreciate her (something along those lines) but what that exchange tells me that he is a really patient guy, the one that is underappreciated and that she's actually rather self-absorbed. Because she is so absorbed with her issues and her love life or lack thereof, she cannot see him as the man who has feelings for her. It's a double-edged sword. She's comfortable with him... sort of like the old arm chair you can sink into when you're tired but you don't do much to look after it until your comfort is being disrupted.

I do think that FL is a bit flattered by Qingqing's impulsive declarations actually. Our boy must be starved for this kind of attention that's not coming from certain quarters that I suspect he's unconsciously drinking it in and giving out the wrong sort of signals in the meantime. He is a man who has been running around the desert looking for an oasis for some time.

11 hours ago, litopanda said:

@Kim Yunmi

I need to go back to marathon through the original again to refresh my memory/mind on it. I realized even though I love it and it's my all time favorite drama, I don't remember much of it's detail until you remind me lol.  One of my favorite is Proposal Daisakusen, it's a romance but also sorta slice of life and the whole idea of best friend - lost opportunity just like In Time with You. Surprisingly I really also like the Korean remake of it too. There is a mainland remake I think...but I couldn't get into it because it was REALLY cheesy..the mainland one. 

As for long episodes in Chinese dramas. i know what you mean. I was just talking about the same thing on another drama forum on how a lot of Chinese fantasy / historical dramas recent are soo long and draggy due to the production's greed to drag out the episodes and then cut it off at a cliffhanger to maybe get a sequel out of it. The best example would be Legend of Chusen and Princess Agent. With the number of episodes it have....they could finish the whole story but they drag and drag and drag it out so they can have a sequel. I was so frustrated watching them because they both start out so good. i'm so weary of starting another one, especially mainstream one just because I'm afraid to be disappointed again. That why i'm holding out on Fuyao and Martial Universe until I know the water is clear and I won't be disappointed haha. 

Totally worth rewatching the original. It lends itself to doing that over and over again. I always find new things when I rewatch it and new perspective. That's the thing about Winnie's dramas I always loved. (referring to the director). He always tends to love playing around with shots and actors. There is a reason Ariel chose him so many times too. (Her real life love story panned out more like In Time With You, though than ISWAK) (Winnie, the director, also got married around that time... so I kinda think it's his treaties to asking what makes a good marriage as well. He's slow to cut and hates cutting footage, but really thoughtful in his directing style, and likes screwing with the viewers in how he cuts together his episodes such that the previews play with you, but tell the story as well... and I could gush about his directing for ages... but it's worth also noting that the cuts on the way out aren't the same as the ones on the way in from eye catches. Sometimes they are different takes of the same scene that were done well, but differently in subtle ways. His style is like fine wine if you watch carefully. The way he uses reflections, divides his shots, it's utter art. He also tends to troll his actors a bit too... but in a funny haha way they appreciate after the fact.)

Fuyao is really good, but has pacing issues. The world building is top notch, the acting and voices are really on point. I could believe the actors and voices matched well. The set pieces were pretty good. The CGI bordered on a bit cheesy at times, but it's Wuxia. The only issue I had was that I felt like they needed more time to make everything come together correctly--I want to read the book, though, but I don't read Chinese (at least very well). Was worth my time, though the ending... I kinda wanted it to stick the landing a bit more. (Oh my General, BTW, stuck the landing more and was solid beginning to end.)

Proposal Daisakusen was really good--when Japan sets out to do rom com and romance it tends to be really good, but when they stick it in as a second helping or background, the romance no matter how many episodes they give them never, ever sticks the landing. Trick had like what? 3 seasons, several movies, a final movie and effing they didn't finish the romance. It's like they never get past the flirting stage. Forget kisses, they never even go there though you always get the feeling the characters *should* be together, they never are together. So in rom com, fine, but with romance as a second goal, never, ever, even though there rarely are second series in Japan. Japan does less rom coms probably because Korea does so many and gets imported into Japan. Only during dry spells does Japan ever roll out a really top notch Rom Com--which is what happened with Nijihage. Korea went on a Mystery/Thriller bender and Japan became starved because that's what Japan usually fills in the East Asian international scene. (Korea, I've realized also fluxes a lot more than the other markets in East Asia--as of late at least--Korea also uses adaptations to test new writers which is why most adaptations tend to suck--exceptions do apply, but it's rare).

Ding Yuan is amping up his assholery, but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. The strongest women sometimes succumb to abuse cycles in real life. If they cook it nice and slow I'll accept it. I also think, though, they are making her a lot more desperate to *be* in a relationship than in the original though... both script and acting.

Watching Ruoman when her first love returns...it's like nearly seeing Qingqing all over again. Why does she revert to shenanigans of her younger years, it's as if she hasn't moved from her image of the guy from his high school days. Hah at Ding Yuyang vaguely recalling Lu Fei but not Ruoman!

And actress Bai Bing starts her appearance around episode 26 of the TV version.

Spoiler

She her own boss it seems. One of their first conversations and it's about their ages.

Spoiler

So sad to see Lu Fei end up in the hospital and Xiao Mei frantically unable to contact Ruoman.

Archived