I don't hate the ending.
But it just irritates me that there are sooo many questions left answer.
Don't get me wrong, I love this show and the concept of it is very interesting. The writer did a good job on creating such a rich world and depth of a character. I'm neutral on her works though so I guess I see things more objectively. There is so many things she could have done better regarding the plot, the character, and the rules of her world. When things happen and there is no explanation, it just feel like a lazy cheap plot twist. Writing fantasy and scifi is hard because it is hard to keep constant with all the rules you create for that world and when you can't keep up with it or explain it, it's like a needle in the audience's heart and mind, always wondering why it happen.
I was hoping that the finale would answer all if not most of the jarring twist in this series but it didn't and that really disappoints me.
1. When and why did the glitch happen? If it happen when Marco stab Se-Ju, then that is way before Jin Woo starts playing the game. If the glitch was already there and getting "kill" in the game will result in real death then WHY DIDNT JINWOO DIE WHEN HE WAS SLAY MANY TIMES IN THE BEGINNING? Or any new players that keep gettign slay by npc?
2. The first question could have been answer by maybe the "real death" only occur if it's during a duel between real player. Like when JinWoo duel the Cha guy and killed him. But then if it's only happen between duel between real players, then there is no way Jinwoo could be kill by any npc. Whats the difference between the npc in level 1 and level 3? npc when you're level 1 can't kill you? But NPC when you're higher level can? That makes no sense. The secretary shouldn't have died. I felt like his death was just there for plot twist and emotion pull.
3. Regarding npc that can kill you. If they all can kill you, wouldn't all of them be glitched? Why is only the 3 main one the "glitched" one. On that when Jinwoo deletes all the glitches....where is Marco? He didn't delete Marco.
4. Why is JinWoo a glitch except again just used for plot twist and emotion pull for his "death". It's irritating. Whatever makes him a glitch...I guess being involved or related to the other glitch game file...could make him a glitch...but wouldn't that make Se-Ju also a glitch for marco who I haven't seen "deleted"/
5. Why does Emma deleting Jin Woo, trigger the reset of the game? If anyone say he is the source of all the glitch....then no, wouldn't that be Se-Ju who may had created the first bug with Marco? So wouldn't it make more sense if she deleted Se-Ju to reset the game? Of course they wouldn't do that, it will break Hee-Ju. So Jin Woo being the bug MAKES NO SENSE.
5. On becoming the master and creating things. When Se Ju was the master, he is the creator, it makes sense that he knows how to "program" this game so he can create things instantly. When JinWoo becomes the master....seriously hold does a businessman like him know how to create anything in this game?
6. On to technology....its new, advance and cool yes. But the writer never explains how it works. How did Se-Ju create the game. Where was the original server before the server moved to J-One? What happen to the original server after J-One took over. How did the game or any file of it's creation get in J-One's hand without Se-Ju being there.
7. If the game is on a console/platform ie the contact lenses, then how did it still plays without it? Technically, where does it connect to? How did it register and connect to the server? If there is no platform or object to connect the player then how can the creator or that guy in J-one keep track of the player or level? In term of technology. It makes no sense. i guess you could just wrap it all up and said its "magic". But for a show about technology. It's annoying to see it not done logically.
8. If there was a bug then that bug will bound to happen again. Why in the world would they released the game again a year after it's reset is beyond. Someone somewhere will stab someone again with a real knife and cause another bug. It's beyond me that they are releasing a game they could barely control in the first place or understand how it work right out to the public shortly after all the tragedy. Do they never learn their lessons?
All the actors did an amazing job portraying their characters. The characters have depth and is interesting but....sometime....they dont make sense.
1. JinWoo - He is a savvy businessman, who is smart and confident. I understand that his confidence can be strip away as things are getting out of hand. But in dealing with the lawsuit and stuff....He is smarter than what he is doing. He blames the game for Cha's death...but technically he did "kill" the guy with his own hand. There is no evidence but he is a murderer all through and through. Towards the end, he acts like he is innocent and heroic and he is for trying fixing things but as for the incident...the truth is he killed Cha. The death was a result of his action no matter how much he want to blame the game. On dealing with the father and the ex wife....I thought he was smarter but nope he just let things get out of hand because he ignores them. It was a disappointment to see the "smart" side of him in the beginning just disappears.
2. Hee-Ju. Sigh. Can you do anything else other than cry cry and cry? I want to love her character, her character was supposed to be strong for having to deal with so many things in life alone....but all she does is cry. I expect a stronger Hee-Ju, someone who cry at times but can take things in her own hand to support Jin Woo, not just someone to let him borrow a car or being a flower pot.
The conclusion to most was alright.....it wasn't satisfying though.
What i mean is the "ending" of each character.
1. The professor Cha should have a worse ending than just getting kill by his son. He should have to face all the things he did. His death was too easy. It felt disappointing.
2. Hee-Ju annoying "friend" is still there, I don't see an apology or attitude change towards JinWoo. He was just there to create conflict, causes trouble and is still there. They should kill him off seriously.
3. The second ex wife....that ending for her was ok. But she deserve worse plus a slap in the face.
Sigh. Maybe I think about it too much.
but with all un-answer questions, plot holes, and disappointing endings. It make the show a lot less enjoyable. I like the show and it's concept but as a drama itself, I don't think its the "great". It's good and enjoyable show, but it's not great. There are so many things it could have done better to make it great. But it didn't and its a disappointment.