[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

50 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

I am on ep 29 with ytube subs .  How did YL manage to get that monster killed by lightning ?    

U mean the former consort?

That lady was covering her palace with big curtains...think some ceremony or renovation going on.

Yingluo who once worked in the needlework dept...probably got someone to subsitute the usual cloth with metal thread laced type. That was why one worker commented the cloth felt stiffer than usual.

Yingluo knew that night would be a thunderstorm. Thus she created a scene just outside.

The rest of her trick depend on luck n coincidence. The consort just happened to touch the cloth when lightning striked the top. And she was the only one...haha.

Read that they edited off details in this scene to avoid copycats in real life.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

U mean the former consort?

That lady was covering her palace with big curtains...think some ceremony or renovation going on.

Yingluo who once worked in the needlework dept...probably got someone to subsitute the usual cloth with metal thread laced type. That was why one worker commented the cloth felt stiffer than usual.

Yingluo knew that night would be a thunderstorm. Thus she created a scene just outside.

The rest of her trick depend on luck n coincidence. The consort just happened to touch the cloth when lightning striked the top. And she was the only one...haha.

Read that they edited off details in this scene to avoid copycats in real life.

Thank you @Cedric Ong  ahhhhh now this makes sense why her mind started computing and she went into action as soon as she heard the storm is coming . Our YL must be related to Nikola Tesla LOL 

4 hours ago, Wotad said:

Watched 2 episodes and im really enjoying it so far , thankful to viki for subbing but some of the subs are a little off.

I find the Emperor quite attractive ;p 

I watch mine on you tube and its subbed  up to ep 29 so far ... i am glad you started watching ...the more the merrier :) 

@believed

i have finished watching the dvd. The tvb version like you have said before cut many scene such as :

i. when YL hurt broken her arms, QL slept on the chair the whole night beside her.

ii. when QL noticed his arms bleed and Liu asked him to see the physician.

iii. Consort Yu waited outside Yanxi Gong (because she feel guilty YL got hurt)

iv. Quan Zi told YL Empress waited for her after YL saved ChenBi

v. in later episode, a scene when Yongqi left Yanxi after lectured YL then YL sat infront of QL and said Yongqi is bla..bla.. (idk what she said)..this part was cut...in dvd after Yongqi left, QL already held YL hand and talked part why she sent her kids to others.

vi. YL told Yongqi to go for gun range practice 

vii. scene where QL stand from his sit and walked (after he sentenced YL to be jailed in ep 34)

and many scenes more....

Also they also change the background music for some scenes such as :

i.  on the part when QL touched YL's face after saving her from snow 

ii. YL and YCW scene at Yuan Ming Yuan Garden..

this all i have noticed so far.....

Not so happy la with this dvd...it give me different vibes and feeling...esp the soundtracks because it play a major part in Yanxi too...

i bet Haolan will be like this too since HK also cannot wait for this drama..sure TVB will buy the copyright again... 

• Like 1

In eps 63, Chen Bi went to see YL, when YL was sicked and housebound, Chen Bi tried to ask YL to escape with FuHeng for freedom. YL replied "what kind of place is Forbidden City?" (indicating how difficult would it be for her to escape).  YL had the look she was contemplating the thought of escaping...what that YL trying to trick Chen Bi or YL was really considering escaping?

6 hours ago, sharonfu18 said:

In eps 63, Chen Bi went to see YL, when YL was sicked and housebound, Chen Bi tried to ask YL to escape with FuHeng for freedom. YL replied "what kind of place is Forbidden City?" (indicating how difficult would it be for her to escape).  YL had the look she was contemplating the thought of escaping...what that YL trying to trick Chen Bi or YL was really considering escaping?

I believe WYL didn’t intend to escape and elope with FH, as suggested/tempted by Chen Bi. She has fallen for Qianlong by this time, and her character is one who is loyal to her husband regardless and will never betray him that way. That look felt like she figured out all the parts of this conspiracy puzzle or that her prediction was true. 

WYL learnt this “Be in dire state, be totally weak and hence no longer a threat to your enemies” tactic from Empress Dowager 太后. And she used it to her advantage. 

Back in Episodes 57, Empress Dowager was “sick” (assisted by her maid 刘姑姑) so as to give the Step Empress the impression Empress Dowager was so weak and for the Empress Dowager to know Step Empress’ true colours and ultimate goals. And that was also explained by the Empress Dowager at the beginning Ep 58.

So WYL used her weakened state to expose her enemies and their aims, from Chen Bi, to the Step Empress and of course the most obvious Yuan Chun Wang. She also wanted to know, besides these people’ ultimate goals, who else would be hurt, namely QL and FH.

Anyway there will also not be a good ending if she did escape with FH. Definite death for both when caught. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, harooxxx said:

i have finished watching the dvd. The tvb version like you have said before cut many scene such as :

i. when YL hurt broken her arms, QL slept on the chair the whole night beside her.

ii. when QL noticed his arms bleed and Liu asked him to see the physician.

Out of all the cut scenes, I'm the saddest about these ones being cut. I loved that he stayed with her all night, especially after he had to attend his meeting instead of staying with her like he wanted to, and I loved that he disregarded his own injury because he didn't want to make a big deal out of it. WOW.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, believed said:

Out of all the cut scenes, I'm the saddest about these ones being cut. I loved that he stayed with her all night, especially after he had to attend his meeting instead of staying with her like he wanted to, and I loved that he disregarded his own injury because he didn't want to make a big deal out of it. WOW.

Totally agree with you. These scenes showed his love for WYL, even though his love for his empire and people is right at the top of his priority list but she comes in second, which says a lot in itself. 

I like that scene when his eunuch 李玉 came by during his meeting with his officials, presumably to inform him that WYL has woken up (QL had told him to do so before he left for this mtg). He was looking so distracted and seemed to be torn between his own responsibilities and his need to know about WYL’s condition. 

These little scenes helped develop QL’s character more, not just as a spoilt bratty emperor whom everyone kowtows to, but also his struggles to do his duties well. 

I recall the exchange between QL and 李玉 when he was back in his private quarters to look at his injury abit more closely and 李玉 insisted on calling for the physician and asked why didn’t QL get the physician to see to it when at Yanxi Palace. And QL said something like he didn’t want to raise unnecessaey attention while at Yanxi Palace given there were possible “spies” who already had caused harm to WYL. 

• Like 2

I was rewatching Episode 44 and had some thoughts.

The scene when QL came to Yanxi Palace thinking WYL would be around (since he was impressed/intrigued by her idea of putting up those shades (recycled cloth from the Internal Dept) to provide some coverage from the sun at the area where QL would tend to pass otw to the various concubines' palaces, particularly enroute to Yanxi.

She was out that afternoon, and QL stayed on to wait for her till Mingyu finally arrived back at Yanxi at night to explain WYL had been with the Empress Dowager since afternoon, and couldn't leave given that Empress Dowager enjoyed WYL's company. Mingyu also suggested to QL to go elsewhere instead since no one knew when WYL would actually return.

So the scene cut to QL leaving the study in a huff and I had thought he just left since he got "stood up".

It must have been really late at night when WYL finally returned. At the doorway to her room, Mingyu had this knowing smile when she told WYL to rest early, since she had been keeping the Empress Dowager company for many hours. WYL, at that point, didn't look like she knew what was going to happen next. She was also looking tired from all that talking and entertaining the Empress Dowager.

I thought, there seemed to be a reversal of roles here instead:

Mingyu with that knowing look and hurried WYL to go rest (she didn't even step into the bedroom to help WYL get ready for bed) 'cos she knew the surprise that WYL would get when she went into her bedroom.

WYL looking puzzled and thought Mingyu's action was so unlike her, but didn't seem to pursue further. I reckon it's cos she was just too tired.

Usually you would think WYL would have planned a few steps in advance, and would have also seen through other people's ploy/plan. This scene makes me think that Mingyu had kinda learnt something from WYL and planned ahead to entice/trick QL to stay in Yanxi to continue waiting for WYL, much like reverse psychology.

And I really think in this scene, WYL was absolutely clueless as to what she would find in her room. She would have expected QL to come by her palace but didn't expect him to actually stay on. 

In fact the little exchange she had with QL, that she thought QL had already left much earlier and she seemed really surprised to see him waiting for her. I wondered if Mingyu had passed word to WYL earlier while she was still at Empress Dowager's palace.  Perhaps Mingyu misled WYL a little by informing her that QL came, waited and left in the end. If so, Mingyu played a big part in this developing romance between QL and WYL.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, housetangaryen said:

Totally agree with you. These scenes showed his love for WYL, even though his love for his empire and people is right at the top of his priority list but she comes in second, which says a lot in itself. 

I like that scene when his eunuch 李玉 came by during his meeting with his officials, presumably to inform him that WYL has woken up (QL had told him to do so before he left for this mtg). He was looking so distracted and seemed to be torn between his own responsibilities and his need to know about WYL’s condition. 

These little scenes helped develop QL’s character more, not just as a spoilt bratty emperor whom everyone kowtows to, but also his struggles to do his duties well. 

I recall the exchange between QL and 李玉 when he was back in his private quarters to look at his injury abit more closely and 李玉 insisted on calling for the physician and asked why didn’t QL get the physician to see to it when at Yanxi Palace. And QL said something like he didn’t want to raise unnecessaey attention while at Yanxi Palace given there were possible “spies” who already had caused harm to WYL. 

Another subtle act of QL that shows how he deeply loved YL is in episode 50, where Consort Chun mentioned that she wanted to visit the injured YL but QL doesn't allow any visitor to Yanxi. It's his way of protecting her,  believing her words that someone actually did try harming YL. 

And when YL was accused of poisoning Yongqi... The moment Physician Ye came out with a bowl containing his vomit, the first question that QL asked was "There is no caowu, right?" This is a small indirect action showing how QL trusted YL and really wanted to clear her off from any wrongdoings accused on her. 

• Like 3

In Eps 45, when YL dressed up as a girl selling alcohol..QL gave her something to pay for the alcohol... he and she had a look in their faces... what does it mean? was the thing (sorry I don't know what it is called) meant to be special?

• Like 1

This was posted under the youtube ep 34 comments and i could not have said it better myself   "Wonderful acting.Beautiful story. Can't speak a word of Chinese,watching it anyway.Wish there was English sub titles.only subtitles up to chapter 24. Thank you China for a wonderful series."          This is exactly what i did too ...watched it anyway  :love:

• Like 1

One of my favorite things that they develop through the show is how well QL knows YL (and later on, YL with QL).

• When he says that he knew she didn't kill Consort Chun because she would rather let her live to make her suffer longer
  • When he says that they shouldn't tell YL the real reason why MY died because if she didn't know then, she'll have realized it now (he really holds her intelligence in high regard and I love that)
  • When he says that YL wouldn't hurt someone (in this case, Shun Pin) out of anger
  • When he says that YL told him the wrong painting was the fake because she didn't want him to get too excited and put all his stamps on it
  • When he says that he knows why she sent her daughters to live with the Empress Dowager
  • (There might be more but I'm blanking on them, but please add them if you think of any!)

It's just sweet to see how much he picks up from her and pays attention to her, esp when everyone else completely miscalculates and misunderstands her. (Plus, it's so nice to see how much has changed from his super wrong ideas about her at the beginning of the show.)

Oh and I forgot to say that another thing I love about these moments is how genuinely shocked Yingluo is by them, like she's always so surprised that he just understands her, given how much she hides herself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, believed said:

One of my favorite things that they develop through the show is how well QL knows YL (and later on, YL with QL). 

• When he says that he knew she didn't kill Consort Chun because she would rather let her live to make her suffer longer
  • When he says that they shouldn't tell YL the real reason why MY died because if she didn't know then, she'll have realized it now (he really holds her intelligence in high regard and I love that)
  • When he says that YL wouldn't hurt someone (in this case, Shun Pin) out of anger
  • When he says that YL told him the wrong painting was the fake because she didn't want him to get too excited and put all his stamps on it
  • When he says that he knows why she sent her daughters to live with the Empress Dowager
  • (There might be more but I'm blanking on them, but please add them if you think of any!)

It's just sweet to see how much he picks up from her and pays attention to her, esp when everyone else completely miscalculates and misunderstands her. (Plus, it's so nice to see how much has changed from his super wrong ideas about her at the beginning of the show.)

Oh and I forgot to say that another thing I love about these moments is how genuinely shocked Yingluo is by them, like she's always so surprised that he just understands her, given how much she hides herself.

To add on

1. I like it when YL and QL were dancing - he knew she made him dance the girls steps to make him happy

2. When YL manage to guess QL's intention on how he will treat Step Empress Father.

3. When YL approach QL to get justice for YongQi - QL was expecting her cause he say it wouldn't be in YL's character if she did not request for justice for YongQi.

• Like 3

i love how this thread is still alive hehe love reading everyones comments!

unfortunately, beauty haolan has been postponed :/ 

There was another scene which shows Qianlongs protectiveness over Yingluo. It was during Yongqi’ posioning incident. When Yingluo barely arrived at Consort Yu’s quarter and surprised to find out Yongqi was sick, Consort Yu suddenly pushed Yingluo, but Qianlong was like “ what do you think youre doing” even before Yuan Chun wang was able to intervene.

oh and another scene on the ship when the step-empress exposed the burnt scar on her hand, Qianlong didnt seem to care but when he heard that Yingluo got bitten, he rushed down to check her hands condition. 

———————————————

I feel like in the drama, the director/screenwriter tone down Qianlong’s infatuation for Yingluo by a lot compared to the novel 

During his birthday celebration, qianlong was supposedly fascinated with Yingluo who was performing in a red dress. Then that night, when he heard about a fairy descending onto earth, the first person on his mind was Yingluo. Thus, him coming to Empress Fuca’s quarter was intially to catch a glimpse of Yingluo but turned out it was Empress Fuca instead. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, heychumi said:

To add on

1. I like it when YL and QL were dancing - he knew she made him dance the girls steps to make him happy

2. When YL manage to guess QL's intention on how he will treat Step Empress Father.

3. When YL approach QL to get justice for YongQi - QL was expecting her cause he say it wouldn't be in YL's character if she did not request for justice for YongQi.

To add on

4. After Chen Bi's assassination attempt on QL in Ep 64, QL's mum, the Empress Dowager, questioned WYL, didn't want to forgive her, and hollered for someone to take her out, presumably to execute her. QL entered right then and defended WYL and told his mum that he knew all that WYL had done right in the beginning, i.e. the lie to protect Chen Bi's life in the beginning by getting her to resemble Empress Dowager's dead daughter. His way of protecting her is awesome, to stand up for and stand by his love to shoulder the consequence together. The look on WYL was priceless then, seemed as if she couldn't believe that he is protecting her again. 

• Like 2