[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

Some little QL/YL moments that I love:

- (always) when QL says that there's no way YL could've killed Consort Chun because she would rather let her live longer to make her suffer more + when he says he knew YL wouldn't have harmed Shun Pin out of rage (aka whenever he shows he knows her)

- in 57? when YL thinks she's made her move to win him back (through Qing Pin and the Empress Dowager's story) but then she finds that all her stuff in Yanxi Palace is being taken away because he was actually mad about it (aka one of the only times YL doesn't have the upper hand in their relationship; I love this small moment because it's the first time, I think, that she's had to deal with not knowing how to deal with QL, which she definitely needed going into the last stretch of the show)

- In 49 when QL lists off all the things YL has taken from YXD which shows 1) how honestly daring she is but mostly 2) how he lets her get away with SO much and I love that

• Like 3

@believed btw what did Qianlong take away from Yanxi Palace? Cause in ep 64 when Yingluo was talking to the step-empress, she mentioned that all the decorations and furnitures in Yanxi Palace are all Qianlongs favorite things (those things mustve been stolen from Yanxin Palace or bestowed by Qianlong himself) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChloeR said:

@believed btw what did Qianlong take away from Yanxi Palace? Cause in ep 64 when Yingluo was talking to the step-empress, she mentioned that all the decorations and furnitures in Yanxi Palace are all Qianlongs favorite things (those things mustve been stolen from Yangin Palace or given by Qianlong himself) 

I'm not sure -- I'd have to watch that again, I just have the memory of servants coming in to take things and Zhen Zhu and Xiao Quan Zi trying to stop them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please! Presumably, it would be things that he's gifted her?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, believed said:

I'm not sure -- I'd have to watch that again, I just have the memory of servants coming in to take things and Zhen Zhu and Xiao Quan Zi trying to stop them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please! Presumably, it would be things that he's gifted her?

I thought it to be the Empress Dowager who wanted WYL to leave the Forbidden City quickly together for the Sunmer Palace, hence those eunuchs who came to  pack and carry away the essentials. She wanted to leave while QL was busy talking to that old official whom Empress Dowager had asked to explain the truth about QL’s birth mother’s death. Her act of leaving would then cause QL to be very guilty for doubting and hurting Empress Dowager that way, which was really her ploy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, housetangaryen said:

I thought it to be the Empress Dowager who wanted WYL to leave the Forbidden City quickly together for the Sunmer Palace, hence those eunuchs who came to  pack and carry away the essentials. She wanted to leave while QL was busy talking to that old official whom Empress Dowager had asked to explain the truth about QL’s birth mother’s death. Her act of leaving would then cause QL to be very guilty for doubting and hurting Empress Dowager that way, which was really her ploy. 

Wow, I really need to rewatch this episode then. I always thought that was QL getting upset about her interfering earlier (with the Empress Dowager's story) and did that and that's when ED took her along with her. I may have misremembered, sorry!

• Like 1

Not sure if u mean an earlier scene where Qianlong sent his men to carry off the white flowers tended by Yingluo. So far that is only scene i remember that he removed things from her palace.

It happened after he saw Yingluo and Fuheng met in the gardens. He got jealous and out of childish spite, used an excuse that the "body waste" dept need her flowers to keep down the stink. 

As for his fav things in her palace....in a way it can mean he love her so much to give her these. Another meaning is he likes to be surrounded by his fav things and treat her place like a 2nd home.

• Like 2

Okay now i’m shock,

Spoiler

the Emperor slept with Fu Heng’s wife 

:blink:, while i know that’s was Er Qing’s evil plan and she practically

Spoiler

delivered herself voluntary to the emperor,

:blink:, and what made me confuse, the event was kept underwrapped, even by Fu Heng.

Also i’m little bit loss with the lack of subtitles,  after Empress passed away, suddenly YL voluntered to be concubine because she wanted to help MY to get revenge to Empress Chu ?? The reason was not strong enough

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 12blbl said:

Okay now i’m shock,

Reveal hidden contents

the Emperor slept with Fu Heng’s wife 

:blink:, while i know that’s was Er Qing’s evil plan and she practically

Reveal hidden contents

delivered herself voluntary to the emperor,

:blink:, and what made me confuse, the event was kept underwrapped, even by Fu Heng.

Also i’m little bit loss with the lack of subtitles,  after Empress passed away, suddenly YL voluntered to be concubine because she wanted to help MY to get revenge to Empress Chu ?? The reason was not strong enough

Ofc Fuheng couldn't go to the Emperor and confronted him about sleeping with his wife. He is an emperor. Far from blaming the Emperor, Fuheng understands well that Qianlong isn't that despicable to bed Er Qing if not because she schemed her way to his bed.

Spoiler

Even when Er Qing voluntarily delivered herself to Qianlong, he was severely drunk and having no memory at all that he molested her that night. The way I see it, it is Er Qing who raped the Emperor instead of the other way around.

YL volunteered to become QL's concubine not only to rescue MY who has been abused by Consort Chun, but mainly to avenge Empress Fuca's death. YL found out from MY that Consort Chun concocted the murder of Fuca's infant son that led Fuca to depression and subsequent suicide. Without Fuca, YL and MY are just ordinary palace maids, with no one to back them up. They definitely couldn't take down a high ranking concubine (and Qianlong's favourite at that time) as Consort Chun. Thus, YL schemed her way to QL's harem and heart to take revenge on Consort Chun for causing Fuca's death.

I just noticed that myasiantv already has English subs up to episode 37.

• Like 2

@lyserose

@12blbl

No. Nothing happened between Qianlong and Erqing. He was too drunk.

Spoiler

She merely wanted to create the impression that something happened. This impression was initially given to Qianlong, QL's eunuch and i think one maid.

Her child was from Fuheng's brother. This trick was 1st to anger Fuheng, 2nd to anger Fucha Empress, 3rd to make sure her child would be safe and also possibily as a bargain chip if Fuheng ever chase her out (she can threaten to reveal all).

Of course in real life she risked the possibility of the emperor silencing her off. This secret can never be revealed, there is no way she can be a concubine, it is very bad reputation for an emperor to sleep with his official's wife.

Yingluo did develop feelings for Qianlong along the way.

And for her, it is not so much to call it revenge, it is more of a justice she seek for people who had been hurt by the villains. She is fairly clear on who to target without harming others. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

@lyserose

@12blbl

Reveal hidden contents

She merely wanted to create the impression that something happened. This impression was initially given to Qianlong, QL's eunuch and i think one maid.

Her child was from Fuheng's brother. This trick was 1st to anger Fuheng, 2nd to anger Fucha Empress, 3rd to make sure her child would be safe and also possibily as a bargain chip if Fuheng ever chase her out (she can threaten to reveal all).

Of course in real life she risked the possibility of the emperor silencing her off. This secret can never be revealed, there is no way she can be a concubine, it is very bad reputation for an emperor to sleep with his official's wife.

And for her, it is not so much to call it revenge, it is more of a justice she seek for people who had been hurt by the villains. She is fairly clear on who to target without harming others. 

Thanks as always.

I have mentioned this before and mention in again here that it is really frustrating that this fact was never made clear to the viewers. I read that the scene (of Er Qing's staging the "rape") was deleted. 

And secondly, I really feel frustrated that they left out the part on whether or not Yingluo came to know the truth over the whole thing - that Qianlong never slept with Er Qing, never was her lover (as Er Qing claimed so) and the child was not his. Yingluo brought up Er Qing and her so-called affair with Qianlong that causing Fuca's death when they had the big argument and subsequent falling out. So I find it impossible for Yingluo to easily forgive QL without knowing the truth even when she had already fallen in love with him at that time.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, lyserose said:

And secondly, I really feel frustrated that they left out the part on whether or not Yingluo came to know the truth over the whole thing - that Qianlong never slept with Er Qing, never was her lover (as Er Qing claimed so) and the child was not his. Yingluo brought up Er Qing and her so-called affair with Qianlong that causing Fuca's death when they had the big argument and subsequent falling out. So I find it impossible for Yingluo to easily forgive QL without knowing the truth even when she had already fallen in love with him at that time.

I agree! In the last part of the show, they rushed things so much that we never got really important scenes (even minus all the Chen Bi stuff they cut which I have no strong feelings about) like a scene where they cleared this up. I am happy to assume that they DID talk about this stuff because it would be a clear block in Yingluo's mind about going further with Qianlong, so of course they would've had to talk about it, but it would've been nice to SEE that. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

@lyserose

@12blbl

Hide contents

Thanks for the info, thankfully 

Spoiler

it’s not the emperor who impregnated Er Qing. Will Fu Heng knew that his own brother cheated with his wife? Poor Fu heng, he deserved to know.

I think this revenge things was used too repetitively, i understand when she went as a palace maid to investigate and get revenge for her sister. And now she wanted to get revenge for the Empress by being concubine and slept with the Emperor while she didn’t like the Emperor. I just think it’s quite a stretch.

YL is very smart, should’t she first try to find another way which not include sacrificing herself. 

Well probably it’s just my bias, since i prefer FH to the emperor for YL. I don’t like the emperor’s personality

1 minute ago, 12blbl said:

I think this revenge things was used too repetitively, i understand when she went as a palace maid to investigate and get revenge for her sister. And now she wanted to get revenge for the Empress by being concubine and slept with the Emperor while she didn’t like the Emperor. I just think it’s quite a stretch.

YL is very smart, should’t she first try to find another way which not include sacrificing herself. 

I think of the show as a two-part revenge story. The first as revenge for her sister, the second for Fuca. Or, like Cedric puts it, seeking justice for both those characters. Imo, it does make sense for Yingluo to continually (well, twice) do this, because that's her personality. She seeks justice for those she believes have been wronged and she doesn't stop until she sees it through. She feels very strongly about people and would absolutely sacrifice herself if she needed to.

• Like 3

Whether she sacrafices herself to seek justice for empress fuca or not. I think one way or another she will end up as Qianlongs concubine because her character is based on the historical figure: Consort Ling. I like this drama alot because the way they made Yingluo become an emperors concubine is different from other dramas. She didnt start her life in the palace as his concubine nor did she fall in love with him at first sight. Everything was a process, a slow build-up but you get to see the character and feeling development btw Qianlong and Yingluo and that made it so much more entertaining to watch.

Yingluo has always been putting others first before herself, which is why characters in the drama who say that Yingluo is selfish are those who dont understand Yingluo one bit. Especially the Step-empress and Chenbi. Chenbi thought that Yingluo set up the whole trap so that she can win Qianlong back and eliminate Chenbi but Yingluo wanted to protect Qianlong and Fuheng who Chenbi was out to get. 

Another thing I really love about Qianlong is his persistence. He is always clinging onto that one bit of hope when it comes to Yingluo.   Compared to fuheng who let go of Yingluo’s hands, Qianlong is always the one desperately holding onto hers (figuratively speaking). And I think this is one of the reasons why yingluo came to love Qianlong as well. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, lyserose said:

Thanks as always.

I have mentioned this before and mention in again here that it is really frustrating that this fact was never made clear to the viewers. I read that the scene (of Er Qing's staging the "rape") was deleted. 

Agree that it was pretty frustrating that we never knew if QL and YL ever did clear up the misunderstanding on Er Qing's matter. But on another hand I view it that even QL didnt know if he knew whether did he sleep with Er Qing (he was just too drunk) so when he dosen't know how could he tell YL.

Somehow to ease my frustration, I try to view it that to QL, Er Qing was just a blip in his drunken moment, as such it does not matter to him if he sleep with her or not. To him she is irrelevant. That is why he told Er Qing we never had any relationship when Er Qing when and meet him to complain on Fuheng.

In their big argument between QL and YL one of the point which QL brought up was his disappointment with YL for thinking such lowly of him and that he would consciously sleep with Er Qing. He did ask YL if this is how you view me? Which at that point YL never answer.

And I would think that since YL understands QL she would have seen thru the entire plot when she cools down so the matter would have been closed for in order them to move forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heychumi said:

Agree that it was pretty frustrating that we never knew if QL and YL ever did clear up the misunderstanding on Er Qing's matter. But on another hand I view it that even QL didnt know if he knew whether did he sleep with Er Qing (he was just too drunk) so when he dosen't know how could he tell YL.

Somehow to ease my frustration, I try to view it that to QL, Er Qing was just a blip in his drunken moment, as such it does not matter to him if he sleep with her or not. To him she is irrelevant. That is why he told Er Qing we never had any relationship when Er Qing when and meet him to complain on Fuheng.

In their big argument between QL and YL one of the point which QL brought up was his disappointment with YL for thinking such lowly of him and that he would consciously sleep with Er Qing. He did ask YL if this is how you view me? Which at that point YL never answer.

And I would think that since YL understands QL she would have seen thru the entire plot when she cools down so the matter would have been closed for in order them to move forward.

It was pretty telling that QL thought he did spent the night with Er Qing (since he asked the paternity of her child) but he made it clear to her that the night was just a mistake and there was nothing beyond that. I wasn't expecting him to tell YL that he never did sleep with Er Qing, but I was hoping that the misunderstanding could be cleared up that is for YL to know that the whole thing was a mistake (since he was too drunk) and for YL to figure out from there that Er Qing been manipulating everyone, and Empress Fuca and Fuheng are not the only victims but QL too.

But I agree with you when QL defended himself, telling YL that he is innocent and questioned her if she really viewed him as that lecherous man who bedded his minister's wife. Though YL insisted that he is guilty, it would make perfect sense that she would eventually figure out that it was the whole sinister plan of Er Qing once she calmed down. I guess when they had that big argument, YL was too consumed by anger and confusion that she blurted out whatever her feeling was at that time. She couldn't even explain to QL of her trauma of childbirth (thus consuming the birth control medicine). I took that her anger at that juncture made her wanting to hurt QL badly.

1 hour ago, ChloeR said:

Whether she sacrafices herself to seek justice for empress fuca or not. I think one way or another she will end up as Qianlongs concubine because her character is based on the historical figure: Consort Ling. I like this drama alot because the way they made Yingluo become an emperors concubine is different from other dramas. She didnt start her life in the palace as his concubine nor did she fall in love with him at first sight. Everything was a process, a slow build-up but you get to see the character and feeling development btw Qianlong and Yingluo and that made it so much more entertaining to watch.

Totally agree. Not only that, this is the one drama where the Emperor actually had to fight to win his concubine's heart (instead of only the women having to fight for his attention) and not to mention the long years of Qianlong harboring that unrequited feelings for YL. And I like that they took time/years to build that feelings because before Fuca's death, QL may thought the feeling was just an attraction but years after YL was exiled out of Forbidden City and then seeing her again, he still find his feelings for her rekindled which speaks a lot to say that it wasn't just an ordinary attraction.

@12blbl LOL. What not to like about Qianlong? :lol: I think he is cute and truthfully, I find an episode always more interesting when QL is around. But it's fine, it's always a matter of preference.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, lyserose said:

Totally agree. Not only that, this is the one drama where the Emperor actually had to fight to win his concubine's heart (instead of only the women having to fight for his attention) and not to mention the long years of Qianlong harboring that unrequited feelings for YL. And I like that they took time/years to build that feelings because before Fuca's death, QL may thought the feeling was just an attraction but years after YL was exiled out of Forbidden City and then seeing her again, he still find his feelings for her rekindled which speaks a lot to say that it wasn't just an ordinary attraction.

@12blbl LOL. What not to like about Qianlong? :lol: I think he is cute and truthfully, I find an episode always more interesting when QL is around. But it's fine, it's always a matter of preference.

Nicely put. Didn't realise this but yes it is that rare drama where the emperor had to work really hard to win his concubine's heart. That's what this drama special too. Nie Yuan sold QL the way that Chen Jianbin could never do that Zhen Huan. In Zhen Huan the emperor gave off regal but sleazy vibes but Nie  Yuan had a winning combo of power and vulnerability. He had the right charisma and presence to project authority but his little gestures (in rubbing his head, tracing Yingluo's features when she was asleep, weeping at his son's death anniversary, even the way he smacks her on the forehead affectionately) show his humanity, his vulnerability and makes him accessible to viewers not just as a 2-dimensional emperor, but as a man. 

Its been months since the drama ended but I can't stop re-watching random scenes, reading all the posts here, scanning for Yanxi news and not touching any other C-drama. Even k-dramas have hit a slump for me. What's with this obsession? I hope to find another drama soon that will top this one. Hard right?  That's why I'm still here.

• Like 6

https://youtu.be/_puiqKHzpcc

new drama for YL and QL

15 hours ago, dramanoob8818 said:

Nicely put. Didn't realise this but yes it is that rare drama where the emperor had to work really hard to win his concubine's heart. That's what this drama special too. Nie Yuan sold QL the way that Chen Jianbin could never do that Zhen Huan. In Zhen Huan the emperor gave off regal but sleazy vibes but Nie  Yuan had a winning combo of power and vulnerability. He had the right charisma and presence to project authority but his little gestures (in rubbing his head, tracing Yingluo's features when she was asleep, weeping at his son's death anniversary, even the way he smacks her on the forehead affectionately) show his humanity, his vulnerability and makes him accessible to viewers not just as a 2-dimensional emperor, but as a man. 

Its been months since the drama ended but I can't stop re-watching random scenes, reading all the posts here, scanning for Yanxi news and not touching any other C-drama. Even k-dramas have hit a slump for me. What's with this obsession? I hope to find another drama soon that will top this one. Hard right?  That's why I'm still here.

so am I.  Relief to know there are other sufferer. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to say thanks for all the historical notes here. Am severely sleep deprived after watching ep 1-46 within 2 days. Thank god I didn't discover this drama earlier. I don't watch many Cdramas but seemed to have done it this year. This is my 4th Cdrama for 2018. 

What happened to Fu Heng in the end? Yeah yeah I couldn't take the suspense in the end yesterday. But didn't fully understand Hellancha. Thanks.

I don't have many comparisons since I watched modern or fantasy ones but this is beautifully costumed. I am probably as attracted to the setting as well as the clothing.

Have absolutely no clue who the cast is. But the actor playing QL actually looks like he could be an Emperor. I swear I saw a QL once who was so scrawny he had padded shoulders for his robe. Personally I am so on Fu Heng's side. So it is begrudgingly that I acknowledge that QL and WYL are believable together. Also as a side note its been a while since I have seen a < 50kg adult. The actress is skinny super skinny. I send patients who weigh that to be admitted to the weight disorder unit. But here, apparenly it is normal.

I sometimes feel sad as an overseas born Chinese we never learnt Chinese history in school. Or never learnt to write or read Traditional Chinese. Especially when I wander into Cdrama land.  My kids heritage- are from another East Asian nation- and I am more fluent and read/write theirs. Thank god that apparently Mandarin is the 2nd language option in school. Since Italian and French are the other usual options around here. The next generation might actually get a chance to be less Westernized.  

• Like 4