[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

19 minutes ago, owlstar said:

Can someone help clarify for me... I know Chen Bi already had a kid before she got sent to the palace, but who was her husband before Qian Long?

When Yingluo asked her about why she never mention her husband.....Chen Bi said being beautiful isn't always a good thing and she's just an object....my guess is she was being prostituted around (or being a tool between leaders/powerful people) and either she didn't know who was the father....or that person never took responsibility. She mentioned Yingluo is lucky to have 2 guys loving her....thus her case is probably a total opposite case. 

• Like 2

I heard that this drama is really good and I’ve like the main actor Ying Luo and Fu Heng since Untouchable Lovers.

I’m currently on episode 20 but I cant wait anymore so can I have a few spoilers...

- At what episode does Fu Heng die?

- Why did Ying Luo start to act cold towards Fu Heng?

- Why did she want to join the harem?

- So does Ying Luo love Fu Heng or the Emperor?

- At what episode does Fu Heng said that he hope that Ying Luo will protect him in her next life?

3 hours ago, yena1590 said:

I’m currently on episode 20 but I cant wait anymore so can I have a few spoilers...

- At what episode does Fu Heng die?

- Why did Ying Luo start to act cold towards Fu Heng?

- Why did she want to join the harem?

- So does Ying Luo love Fu Heng or the Emperor?

- At what episode does Fu Heng said that he hope that Ying Luo will protect him in her next life?

Spoiler

Fuheng died at last ep 70 during a battle in the south, he got poisoned by swamp gas (i assume that is what it is) while getting a certain antidote pill for Yingluo who got poisoned by Yuan Chun Wang. And Fuheng didnt rest while still directing the battle. So after his death, Hai Lan Cha brought back the pill and also conveyed last message asking if Yingluo is willing to protect him in next life.

Yingluo gave up hope on him earlier in ep 35 or 36. Bcos he chose to marry Er Qing in order to save her. Yingluo found out the killer of her sister...was former emperor's consort whose son had raped her sister. Yingluo set up a trap to electrocute her. But she was to be punished for that. And the emperor was already unhappy to find out Fuheng loved this lowly maid. So Fuheng had to please the emperor. But to Yingluo though she understood the reason but being headstrong type...she felt he had given in too easily. Perhaps if reversed role...she would rather die with the one she love.

Then a few episodes later....she started to gain favour of the Emperor bcos the Empress (who treated her very well) was hurt by a few people and died...she had to seek justice...and for that she need backing.

As for who she love more...i prefer u watch and decide for yourself. To me it isn't so clear-cut....perhaps it changes at different periods.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:
  Hide contents

Fuheng died at last ep 70 during a battle in the south, he got poisoned by swamp gas (i assume that is what it is) while getting a certain antidote pill for Yingluo who got poisoned by Yuan Chun Wang. And Fuheng didnt rest while still directing the battle. So after his death, Hai Lan Cha brought back the pill and also conveyed last message asking if Yingluo is willing to protect him in next life.

Yingluo gave up hope on him earlier in ep 35 or 36. Bcos he chose to marry Er Qing in order to save her. Yingluo found out the killer of her sister...was former emperor's consort whose son had raped her sister. Yingluo set up a trap to electrocute her. But she was to be punished for that. And the emperor was already unhappy to find out Fuheng loved this lowly maid. So Fuheng had to please the emperor. But to Yingluo though she understood the reason but being headstrong type...she felt he had given up too easily.

Then a few episodes later....she started to gain favour of the Emperor bcos the Empress (who treated her very well) was hurt by a few people and died...she had to seek justice...and for that she need backing.

As for who she love more...i prefer i watch and decide for yourself. To me it isn't so clear-cut....perhaps it changes at different periods.

OMG, Thank you for answering my questions. Damn, so after joining the harem, she shows signs of liking the Emperor? I think her love for Fu Heng is more sincere. I really feel bad for Fu Heng D: Did everything for her but didn't get anything good in return. I really like Fu Heng's character. The Emperor is loyal to his country and know how to treat right or wrong, but he abused his power to get what he want :'/

12 minutes ago, yena1590 said:

OMG, Thank you for answering my questions. Damn, so after joining the harem, she shows signs of liking the Emperor? I think her love for Fu Heng is more sincere. I really feel bad for Fu Heng D: Did everything for her but didn't get anything good in return. I really like Fu Heng's character. The Emperor is loyal to his country and know how to treat right or wrong, but he abused his power to get what he want :'/

To me...i can understand the Emperor did have a certain proud attitude.....it is more from his upbringing as royal family. But among the similar chars from different dramas....this version isn't so bad....he didnt force on Yingluo...at least not that ( once i rhink he was merely testing her reaction). Partly bcos the actor Nie Yuan balanced the char with some likeable humor.

Yes u can say Fuheng sacrifice a lot. But as even his sister the Empress had said (even she didnt approve of his decision)...loving someone doesn't always just focus on doing what is the best for her...but also what she wants and repecting what she believe in. I mean it should be a balance. Perhaps Fuheng and Yingluo...there is a slight clash of ideals here. Not saying who is right or wrong.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

To me...i can understand the Emperor did have a certain proud attitude.....it is more from his upbringing as royal family. But among the similar chars from different dramas....this version isn't so bad....he didnt force on Yingluo...at least not that ( once i rhink he was merely testing her reaction). Partly bcos the actor Nie Yuan balanced the char with some likeable humor.

Yes u can say Fuheng sacrifice a lot. But as even his sister the Empress had said (even she didnt approve of his decision)...loving someone doesn't always just focus on doing what is the best for her...but also what she wants and repecting what she believe in. I mean it should be a balance. Perhaps Fuheng and Yingluo...there is a slight clash of ideals here. Not saying who is right or wrong.

Oh, yeah. I didn't approve of his decision either. Like you said love is not something for only you to decide what's best for her or you. It's about commitment between two people. I kind of understand why, but yeah either way. If he choose a good path for her, they both suffer. If he choose to just let it slide and do nothing then he will regret. 

10 minutes ago, yena1590 said:

Oh, yeah. I didn't approve of his decision either. Like you said love is not something for only you to decide what's best for her or you. It's about commitment between two people. I kind of understand why, but yeah either way. If he choose a good path for her, they both suffer. If he choose to just let it slide and do nothing then he will regret. 

That very period when Yingluo was going to be punished...might be a uncertainty. Maybe there are other ways to save her..or stall for time at least. But sometimes to save someone...u cant think too much and just seek the best way that is shown to u. In this case....Er Qing...and if i remember correctly, Yuan Chun Wang played their parts to sort of "guide" Fuheng to that decision....though it is still his to make in the end. Ya...if he failed to save her life...guess it will be a worse regret than to lose her to another guy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

That very period when Yingluo was going to be punished...might be a uncertainty. Maybe there are other ways to save her..or stall for time at least. But sometimes to save someone...u cant think too much and just seek the best way that is shown to u. In this case....Er Qing...and if i remember correctly, Yuan Chun Wang played their parts to sort of "guide" Fuheng to that decision....though it is still his to make in the end. Ya...if he failed to save her life...guess it will be a worse regret than to lose her to another guy.

The part that mostly people sad about the love story between Yingluo and Fucheng is that Yingluo decided to move on without holding back, but Fucheng decided to honor his promise made to her that he will protect and wait for her for the entire life. And he did that all the way till death with no consideration for any other girls for his entire whole life, while all the time looking out for her well being...thus his last dying speech makes it even more sad....:"This whole life I have looked after you, I think its already enough, in next life can you look after me instead?"

• Like 1

22 hours ago, yena1590 said:

As the episodes progressed, you will come to understand that the Emperor is pretty clueless over his own feeling and this has got to do with his upbringing. The emperor is so used to of being pacified, being lavished with praises and with women fighting for his affection and for that, his reaction towards his feelings for Yingluo is understandable. He does not even know that he was in love with her until the Empress verbalized it for him. He does not even know why he was so angry with Yingluo when he saw her with Fuheng (after she became his consort) until Fuheng pointed out to him that he was jealous. It was apparent that he has no idea over the depth of his own feelings for her. So, I couldn't agree that he was abusing his power. He was just so used to of getting whatever he wants and as Fuheng said himself, Yingluo incited new feelings and experience out of him that he ended up not knowing how to react on it.

Regarding loving Fuheng more and sincerely, I will leave it to your own interpretation once you completed the series. IMO, she has different kind of love for these two men, befitting of the nature of the man and the period of time that she was with each one of them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

This is actually the tricky part. Fuheng's rush decision to marry Er Qing is to save Yingluo because he couldn't tell when will the Empress wakes up from her coma, thus pleading and saving Yingluo. However, a fact unbeknownst to him is that, Qianlong was already in love with Yingluo at this point and will QL actually punish her to the extend of having her beheaded? (though he actually did sentenced her to suicide in later episode).

Fuheng is the real tragedy here. While I pity him that he could not marry the woman he loves, I feel most sorry that he is married to that disaster of a woman, Er Qing who made his life miserable. He could have at least a better and decent wife who could provide him a comfortable home than that evil Er Qing.

Another fact that lingers around is, if only Yingluo didn't meet Ming Yue again till she decided to return to the Forbidden City by becoming Qianlong's concubine, perhaps she could ended up marrying Fuheng in the end, in time for his return from his war's victory and made that ultimate request to the Emperor to finally allow their marriage. Qianlong perhaps after 3 years, could have forgotten about Yingluo already and consented their marriage?

• Like 1

Actually Mingyu's part was also due to Chun consort and her maid's own doing. If they didnt torture Mingyu and cause her behavior to change until it is obvious to Yingluo who would definitely chase after the reason...perhaps nothing more will happen. 

This drama while seems less hidden stuff than some other dramas...there are a few...i mean those trivia that happened in earlier episodes..then pop up in later episodes. Eg Yuan Chun Wang and Zhen Er (maid of Xian consort). Perhaps he didnt mean to take revenge...only making use of her. But remember in earlier episodes when Xian consort was trying to sell her jewellery and caught by Gao consort....Zhen Er was willing to take the blame and falsely claim she and a certain eunuch were in it together...and that guy was Yuan...another low point in his life in the palace.

• Like 1

Sharing this from chinese site. Top 4 pics are of Qianlong and Yingluo.

005Rm2BJgy1fvcvjymp1kj30rs1qitj1.jpg

The next 2 are 1st...of Qianlong and Fuca empress. The 2nd of Qianlong and Xian consort (the night she went to take care of a young prince and Qianlong woke up to her empty bed).

005Rm2BJgy1fvcvjyy48fj30rs0v9wkz.jpg

Notice that only with Yingluo they share the same blanket. The thing about same blanket is u share same body odour and easily disturb when one turn over....yet Qianlong is ok with it. They behave more like a commoner's version of a husband and wife.

Another trivia...is only Xian consort's headrest is square....nothing wrong with it. This did exist in older china. But to us, the round version (in the other pics) look more comfortable. Maybe there is nothing to read into it...but some see as a difference btw good and bad guys in the drama.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lyserose said:

This is actually the tricky part. Fuheng's rush decision to marry Er Qing is to save Yingluo because he couldn't tell when will the Empress wakes up from her coma, thus pleading and saving Yingluo. However, a fact unbeknownst to him is that, Qianlong was already in love with Yingluo at this point and will QL actually punish her to the extend of having her beheaded? (though he actually did sentenced her to suicide in later episode).

Fuheng is the real tragedy here. While I pity him that he could not marry the woman he loves, I feel most sorry that he is married to that disaster of a woman, Er Qing who made his life miserable. He could have at least a better and decent wife who could provide him a comfortable home than that evil Er Qing.

Another fact that lingers around is, if only Yingluo didn't meet Ming Yue again till she decided to return to the Forbidden City by becoming Qianlong's concubine, perhaps she could ended up marrying Fuheng in the end, in time for his return from his war's victory and made that ultimate request to the Emperor to finally allow their marriage. Qianlong perhaps after 3 years, could have forgotten about Yingluo already and consented their marriage?

I don't think Yingluo is willing to be Fu Heng's wife because of her personality. She already want to give up on Hu Feng the moment he decide to marry Qing Er. Ying Luo is too rock headed to open about her feelings to Fu Heng again which is really sad. Fu Heng on the other hand is just a victim. Qing Er turns evil but he always thought of her as a nice, kind woman that's why he listen to her and eager to save Ying Luo. I can't really blame him. No one can be calm when the one they love is in danger of dying.

What makes me kinda mad is that Ying Luo keeps giving Fu Heng the cold shoulder and never look back at him. Fu Heng's feelings are more deep and sincere. Ying Luo knows that Fu Heng married to Qing Er in order to save her yet still blame him for it. :((

• Like 1

Fuheng did indeed sacrifice a lot for Yingluo, but I feel we should also take into consideration of Yingluo's feelings. Just imagine having someone always looking out for you and telling you that he will marry you, then suddenly one day you find out that he's marrying someone else? You believe in the idea that you two should fight on together despite any hardship and that you should never let go of each other's hand and then find out that the other person had already let go? I would be devastated and disappointed. I think the fact that Yingluo acts cold and keeps her distance from Fuheng is because firstly she's now the emperor's woman, coming into frequent contact with Fuheng will not only affect her relationship with qianlong but also harmful to Fuheng's reputation. Secondly, she's taking revenegeon Chun Consort for the late empress (fuheng's sister), and if there were any mishaps, she doesnt want to drag him down the water with her. Thirdly, I believe her cold facade is intentional because she learned not to show her emotions anymore. The fact that she doesnt want to show how hurt she was/or still is to Fuheng because she wants him to live his life and not be burdened by his regrets. If he sees that shes living happily, he will blame himself less and move on with his life. 

But between Fuheng and Emperor, I wouldnt say that one's love for Yingluo is more deep and sincere than the other. Sure, the emperor is getting a lot of hate because he sleeps around unlike our Forever Virgin Fuheng lol but I dont think we should use that to measure the each of their love for Yingluo. For Qianlong, it's almost an obligation for him to share bed with different women (politics). Besides, if he remains loyal to Yingluo, not only she will become the sole target of the inner palace but as well as the court ministers, probably accusing her as seducing the monarch and should be eliminated (the fate of Yang Guifei). 

All in all, I feel like Fuheng and Qianlong both truly love Yingluo and protect her in their own way. But the visualization of their love and protectiveness are constrained by their positions. Viewers like to believe that Fuheng loves and deserves Yingluo way more than Qianlong because he protects her out in the open but thats because his position allows him to do so. Qianlong is a monarch and his way of protecting Yingluo is very subtle (aka sending her to cold palace to save her life from the Empress Dowager). Thus, viewers often think that he's undeserving of Yingluo.

That's my two cents haha

@Cedric Ong Thank you for sharing! I love how the director is inputting subtle details to describe the relationships between the QianlongxYingluo and his other wives. Personally, I think sharing one blanket indicates how Qianlong and Yingluo completely understand one another, think similarly, and letting their walls down. While two blankets show that Fuca Empress and Xian Empress might have share the same bed with Qianlong for many years, but they dont really understand him nor does he understand them on a personal level. The two blankets kinda represent the wall between them two. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Actually Mingyu's part was also due to Chun consort and her maid's own doing. If they didnt torture Mingyu and cause her behavior to change until it is obvious to Yingluo who would definitely chase after the reason...perhaps nothing more will happen. 

The lesson learnt is simple, that is no one can actually defies the power of destiny. Yingluo is destined to become Qianlong's consort and despite that he actually banished her out of the Forbidden City and ordered her to never ever set her feet there ever again, not seeing each other for 3 years and so on, fate simply brought them together.  I am not Chinese and according to our belief, they are two fates that no man can ever change - marriage/coupling and death.

1 hour ago, yena1590 said:

I don't think Yingluo is willing to be Fu Heng's wife because of her personality. She already want to give up on Hu Feng the moment he decide to marry Qing Er. Ying Luo is too rock headed to open about her feelings to Fu Heng again which is really sad. Fu Heng on the other hand is just a victim. Qing Er turns evil but he always thought of her as a nice, kind woman that's why he listen to her and eager to save Ying Luo. I can't really blame him. No one can be calm when the one they love is in danger of dying.

What makes me kinda mad is that Ying Luo keeps giving Fu Heng the cold shoulder and never look back at him. Fu Heng's feelings are more deep and sincere. Ying Luo knows that Fu Heng married to Qing Er in order to save her yet still blame him for it. :((

I agree to this. But Fuheng has also been warned by the Empress that Yingluo is too strong-headed for a girl. She is capable to really love and really hate someone and that she could never ever accepted betrayal and in this case, even when she knew he did it to save her, she couldn't accept it. Plus, she is too independent to actually allow a man to save her and made that ultimate decision for her (even with her best interest at heart). In a way, she is a bit cold-hearted. It's the same like how she treated the emperor. She could toy around with his feelings before gradually love him. But I always like strong character heroine and that's why I understand where she comes from.

On giving Fuheng a cold shoulder....well, she is married to the Emperor who never felt intimidated by anyone when come to love except for Fuheng. So, I understand why she just couldn't bother. She also got into so much trouble because of her past history with Fuheng. Also, he is married and she is also the Emperor's woman, what good could come out of it - I mean to look at him and be reminisced of their pasts. But despite her cold exterior, you know that Fuheng holds a special place in her heart. He is after all, her first love and a big presence in her life. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChloeR said:

But between Fuheng and Emperor, I wouldnt say that one's love for Yingluo is more deep and sincere than the other. Sure, the emperor is getting a lot of hate because he sleeps around unlike our Forever Virgin Fuheng lol but I dont think we should use that to measure the each of their love for Yingluo. For Qianlong, it's almost an obligation for him to share bed with different women (politics). Besides, if he remains loyal to Yingluo, not only she will become the sole target of the inner palace but as well as the court ministers, probably accusing her as seducing the monarch and should be eliminated (the fate of Yang Guifei). 

All in all, I feel like Fuheng and Qianlong both truly love Yingluo and protect her in their own way. But the visualization of their love and protectiveness are constrained by their positions. Viewers like to believe that Fuheng loves and deserves Yingluo way more than Qianlong because he protects her out in the open but thats because his position allows him to do so. Qianlong is a monarch and his way of protecting Yingluo is very subtle (aka sending her to cold palace to save her life from the Empress Dowager). Thus, viewers often think that he's undeserving of Yingluo.

Totally agree with you.

The thing is, when watching historical dramas for that matter, one should not completely view the situation with a modern-day thinking. Of course, in this modern world, we all adore a one woman's man but that concept is not ideal back then. Marriage and love isn't so straight forward back in those days. If you put on your modern lenses, you will view Qianlong as a womanizer but he is an Emperor, he needs to be fair to all his women and he has more obligations towards the country than anyone else, thus why he sleeps around. It's more like an obligation for him instead of personal emotions. He himself aware of it, like what he shared with Yingluo in episode 33, he knew Empress Fuca wanted true love but at the same time, she needs to understand his position being the leader of his nation and having no time to actually love. And he also said how as an Emperor, he was taught as far back when he was a teenager that he could pamper his women but never to love them. Viewers only see the suffering of Fuheng because they are more outwards but Qianlong does not have it easy too. He has his pain but not overtly shown. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lyserose said:

The lesson learnt is simple, that is no one can actually defies the power of destiny. Yingluo is destined to become Qianlong's consort and despite that he actually banished her out of the Forbidden City and ordered her to never ever set her feet there ever again, not seeing each other for 3 years and so on, fate simply brought them together.  I am not Chinese and according to our belief, they are two fates that no man can ever change - marriage/coupling and death.

I agree to this. But Fuheng has also been warned by the Empress that Yingluo is too strong-headed for a girl. She is capable to really love and really hate someone and that she could never ever accepted betrayal and in this case, even when she knew he did it to save her, she couldn't accept it. Plus, she is too independent to actually allow a man to save her and made that ultimate decision for her (even with her best interest at heart). In a way, she is a bit cold-hearted. It's the same like how she treated the emperor. She could toy around with his feelings before gradually love him. But I always like strong character heroine and that's why I understand where she comes from.

On giving Fuheng a cold shoulder....well, she is married to the Emperor who never felt intimidated by anyone when come to love except for Fuheng. So, I understand why she just couldn't bother. She also got into so much trouble because of her past history with Fuheng. Also, he is married and she is also the Emperor's woman, what good could come out of it - I mean to look at him and be reminisced of their pasts. But despite her cold exterior, you know that Fuheng holds a special place in her heart. He is after all, her first love and a big presence in her life. 

Actually I think some misunderstood Yingluo for being cold-hearted, she is the type that uses actions rather than words to show her love, which is why in the last episode, she replied to Xian Fei, :"The first person to open mouth, loses"

Yingluo i believe is a person that once she decide to love, she doesnt look back, but if you ever betray her once, its all over.

In the begining, the Empress has hesitation of Fuheng and Yingluo's relationship because of Yingluo's revenge yet to be carried out, but after 裕太妃 death, the Empress have already decided to fulfill both Fuheng and Yingluo happiness with marriage. Which i believe it would happen if it werent for Yuan Chunwang's instigation and Er Qing's selfish & jealous love for Fuheng that lead Fuheng to stupidly propsed to the Emperor for their marriage in order to save Yingluo from prison. Even the Empress scolded Fuheng and know Yingluo well enough that she is prepared to die together with Fuheng than to see him marrying another woman, and told Fuheng, Yingluo would never forgive him (which turns out to be true by Yingluo's reaction after that)

When Yingluo found out from MingYu later at Yuanming garden about the Empress's real cause of death, she was shown contemplating on her thoughts of being a consort to the Emperor. I think that was the time she decide to start fully working towards loving the Emperor and never look back, only concentrate on moving forward.

She knows of Fuheng deep feelings for her but because both are married and have their own commitments to honor, she didnt and couldnt show any signs to Fuheng and maintain her faithfulness to the Emperor, out of respect & honor to the Emperor as well as to Fuheng safe-being, even when they could plot to elope together, they didnt.

But i did wonder at the point when Yingluo executed Er Qing, if there's any ways to be kicked out by the Emperor, so that she could go to be with Fuheng but i think its virtually impossible, seeing all the consorts are confined in the Forbidden City until their death...

• Like 1