[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

They do look similar though. Lol. I googled on Consort Rong aka The Fragrance Consort and found two recorded versions of her. The Chinese and her own native versions with contrasting stories. 

Yes, can hardly rank their beauties. The fact that Fuca was played by the beautiful Qin Lan and therefore, I find her the prettiest of all. Ofc, in the drama, it is Chen Bi whom is deemed the prettiest though the actress herself is just average looking. 

When i watch this drama and at the same time doing some historical connection, I mainly watch for the entertainment and fictional element of it otherwise it would spoil my viewing experience. In history, he loves Fuca the most but the story can be fictionalised as in Yanxi and Ruyi. Whatever that is, it's just for entertainment purpose. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lyserose said:

And interestingly, despite Empress Xian knew how big the momentum of YL's fell from QL's good grace and her long 3yrs absence, she still think that YL is the only one capable to bring down Chen Bi (even when Empress Xian bragged on how Chen Bi is greater than YL). Also, I am amazed at how fast YL took her down, referencing on the timeline since she agreed to join forces with Empress Xian to finally revealed to be pregnant with QL's baby. 

I know most of it is because of pacing issues with how few episodes they had left and the rest of the story they needed to tell, but I like to think about how it's more of a testament to how much QL loved YL instead.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluebutterfly2018 said:

Hello, I m new here. I have some episodes i dont understand and i manage to go thru the whole topic but i might have miss if anyone mentioned it before so please bear with me.

I dont understand the part about the pictures of a mother with a twin children given to the Emperor. How is it related to the Emperor's real mother. Anyone understand this? I think around episode 56-57

Thank you

Ok. What i am referring now is the drama....not actual history.

In this drama version, Qianlong's biological mum was Lady Qian, not the Dowager Empress. His fortune was foretold after birth.....destined to aid his father to become Emperor and himself too. Thus it was unsuitable for a lowly Han woman who was initially a maid to be his mother....thus given to the current Dowager (but it's strongly hinted that Dowager actually killed the mother and snatched him, the Dowager claimed she died of poor health). The Step Empress discovered a letter from Qianlong's wet nurse that stated this secret and though Prince Hongzou, this letter went to Qianlong.

At that moment, a painting called Chun Hui Tu 春晖图 (Spring Sunlight Painting, the 2 words are from a poem about gratitude to parents) was sent to Qianlong. It's from a minister Qian. The painting is of his old mother with 2 kids. The background is her mother being a widow for decades worked hard (by weaving cloth) to take care of her in-laws and bring up the children and one had became a minister. She was well-respected for that. It was now her 80th birthday and he hope Qianlong would write some blessings on it.  

So later when Qianlong started to suspect the Dowager and further investigation revealed that his biological mother is actually a lost sibling of the minister Qian....they were once very poor and they placed the daughter with relatives who instead sold her to a prince's house. So he thought this minister Qian sent this painting to remind Qianlong to know who's the real mum and should seek justice for her. Actually abit far-fetched here....but when one start being suspicious, everything will look like hints and signs.

Ok, back to real history.....indeed that is a Minister Qian. And he did have a wonderful mother. And he did send that painting but it was a gift to Qianlong, not asking for him to write on it. And the painting is known by another name.

Chinese article on this :

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/42450244

Somewhere related....are those gossip from commoners about Qianlong's birth....being born from a Han lady. Also gossip that during his visits out of the palace, he was searching for his biological mother or relatives. And interestingly in real history, he did stay overnight at this Minister Qian's house during a few trips. So perhaps this is why the scriptwriter combined several trivia (bits of facts and gossip) together to get this storyline.

If u r interested and can read chinese, u can read this art expert's article on the various paintings and calligraphy mentioned in the drama....they are all real items that existed during Qianlong period. There are some inaccuracies but the expert is glad the drama at least touch on them.

http://www.hongdezk.com/7379.html

• Thanks 1

Hi i don't understand the drama since there is no sub but i want to ask about episode 37.

Did the Empreror forced on Ying Luo? I meant he wants to forcefully slept with Ying Luo? What the translations of the dialog between them and why the Empress doesn't want to meet Ying Luo again?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, believed said:

I know most of it is because of pacing issues with how few episodes they had left and the rest of the story they needed to tell, but I like to think about how it's more of a testament to how much QL loved YL instead.

It definitely helps by understanding the dialogue itself. Like how QL pretentiously asked Fuheng about hearing him visiting Dowager Empress in Yuan Ming Garden (upon returning from the war) but actually intending to dig on YL. Fuheng got the cue and told QL he visited YL instead and how he told her about Chen Bi and within 3 days, YL packed and returned to Forbidden City. QL was delighted to hear this (though he tried to appear nonchalant. QL's strategy to get YL to return works) and he paid her a visit that night. 

According to the timeline, it took roughly 3 months for YL to bring down Chen Bi. Cos she was revealed to be 3 months pregnant and she spent the night with QL shortly after her return to the palace. QL was being an a**hole during that 3 months, though YL clarified on the anti-pregnancy broth, he still holds the grudge simply because he was adamant for her to admit that she loves him as how he believes it to be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lyserose said:

It definitely helps by understanding the dialogue itself. Like how QL pretentiously asked Fuheng about hearing him visiting Dowager Empress in Yuan Ming Garden (upon returning from the war) but actually intending to dig on YL. Fuheng got the queue and told QL he visited YL instead and how he told her about Chen Bi and within 3 days, YL packed and returned to Forbidden City. QL was delighted to hear this (though he tried to appear nonchalant. QL's strategy to get YL to return works) and he paid her a visit that night. 

Coincidentally I just rewatched this episode and thought this scene was so funny.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, harooxxx said:

Hi i don't understand the drama since there is no sub but i want to ask about episode 37.

Did the Empreror forced on Ying Luo? I meant he wants to forcefully slept with Ying Luo? What the translations of the dialog between them and why the Empress doesn't want to meet Ying Luo again?

Spoiler

He told her that Empress Fuca said that he is attracted to Yingluo (note here that QL thought he was simply attracted to her). YL was still heartbroken by Fuheng and not even the slightest bit interested in QL ofc rejected him - giving him so many excuses that she is not pretty enough, unruly and she only wanted to serve Empress Fuca.

Her rejection thrilled him even more and he funnily said that he is bored of beautiful, well mannered women and thought that his harem should comprise of a woman like Yingluo - difficult to handle (this words will come back haunting him for sure. LOL). He said he found her disobedience interesting.

QL knew YL did not want to be his concubine but like he said, whether she is willing or not, he still need to have her. He also said that he never have to force any woman before and that he finds his persistent vs her refusal very exciting. Yingluo realized at this point that "the chase" is the one that excites QL.

So she tricked him by telling him that she had been planning to become his concubine and knowing that she is not pretty enough, she tried to gain his attention by being different/disobedience. She said that she is willing to serve him but he needs to make her his consort. QL came to the conclusion that YL was being mercenary (using him to upgrade her status) and that was why he let her go because he hated vile scheming woman as how YL made him to think of her.  He told YL that she could return to serve Empress Fuca but don't even dream of ever getting together with him. 

It has always been mind and psychological game between these two.

On why the Empress refused to meet her....

Spoiler

she could not walk after waking up from her coma. She feels that she will cause so much trouble to YL to have a disabled master like her. She also feels guilty and useless that YL had to be involved in so many palace's tricks and machinations because she is unable to protect herself.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lyserose said:

In episode 37, QL definitely wanted to sleep with YL.

Reveal hidden contents

He told her that Empress Fuca said that he is attracted to Yingluo (note here that QL thought he was simply attracted to her). YL was still heartbroken by Fuheng and not even the slightest bit interested in QL ofc rejected him - giving him so many excuses that she is not pretty enough, unruly and she only wanted to serve Empress Fuca.

Her rejection thrilled him even more and he funnily said that he is bored of beautiful, well mannered women and thought that his harem should comprise of a woman like Yingluo - difficult to handle (this words will come back haunting him for sure. LOL). He said he found her disobedience interesting.

QL knew YL did not want to be his concubine but like he said, whether she is willing or not, he still need to have her. Yingluo realized at this point that "the chase" is the one that excites QL.

So she tricked him by telling him that she had been planning to become his concubine and knowing that she is not pretty enough, she tried to gain his attention by being different/disobedience. She said that she is willing to serve him but he needs to make her his consort. QL came to the conclusion that YL was being mercenary and scheming (using him to upgrade her status) and that was why he let her go because he hated vile scheming woman as how YL made him to think of her.  He told YL that she could return to serve Empress Fuca but don't even dream of ever getting together with him. 

It has always been mind and psychological game between these two.

On why the Empress refused to meet her....

Reveal hidden contents

she could not walk after waking up from her coma. She feels that she will cause so much trouble to YL to have a disabled master like her. She also feels guilty and useless that YL had to be involved in so many palace's tricks and machinations because she is unable to protect herself.

Thank you so much for the explanation. Its so hard to find SOYP in eng sub while RRL already been subbed until ep. 50 above.

Without the eng sub, hard to catch or figure out what happened between them all.

I wonder why Emperor finally take Ying Luo as his concubine after  he said in the ep..37 as you've explained.

I think in real history,  the Emperor actually really love Consort Ling. Because she was appointed  from the lowest rank to highest rank when she was alive and even when her death. She produced the emperor the most childs, this sure as evidence he spent many of times with Consort Ling. What is the difference between YL rank as Imperial Noble Consort Ling and Imperial Noble Consort Ling Yi that was given to her after she died? Is higher then the other one?

Then i dont understand, read somewhere said Consort Ling been buried in the Emperor's tomb so  in afterlife she is always be together with Qianlong Emperor. What does that mean? Was it in one coffin together or what..lol. Only her or with the Empress and other consort tooo?

Edited by harooxxx
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, harooxxx said:

I wonder why Emperor finally take Ying Luo as his concubine after  he said in the ep..37 as you've explained.

Spoiler

When YL becomes his concubine, it's after she tries to curry favor with the Empress Dowager so that she can go back to the Forbidden City and protect Ming Yu/get revenge for Empress Fucha. After she makes her happy, YL asks to enter the palace and attend to the ED, but QL says no, ED says she likes her and she's smart, QL is worried about what YL might do/doesn't trust her so he says no again because he wants to make her a da ying, which surprises everyone (including himself) and then ED is like, well that's great but why not make her a gui ren and that's the fun, complicated story of how YL went from being a palace maid to gui ren.

If someone who actually understood every part of the dialogue could fill in the blanks/correct me, that would be great!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I understand that Ying Luo eventually fell in love with Qianlong. But, I am wondering why did Ying Luo tell QL that she was just using/did not like him when he confronted her about the birth control medication. Is it really just because she accidentally blurted out like she told Ming yu which I felt like was not a good reason?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harooxxx said:

Same as @believed explained above

Spoiler

YL was banished by QL to Yuan Ming Garden and to never ever step foot in Forbidden City after Empress Fuca's death. About 2 years after Fuca's passing, YL met Ming Yue again who has now become the lady in waiting to Consort Chun. Through MY, she learnt that Consort Chun schemed Prince Yongcong's death (that led to Fuca's suicide). YL initially intended to tell the Emperor directly but at that period, Consort Chun was his favorite consort and MY reminded her they have no one to back them up anymore. So, YL schemed her way. She staged the whole auspicious coincidences (the phoenix and the fish forming the word "longevity") and impressed, the Dowager asked her what she wanted and YL said she wanted to become her lady in waiting and return to Forbidden City. (Cue... this is YL playing mind games on QL)

QL objected because he does not trust YL and he would not want her by his mother's side and so, he made her his Da-Ying (the lowest rank concubine) but Dowager likes her so much that she said YL at least, deserved the title of a Gui-Ren (2 ranks above Da-Ying). 

From this scene and that conversation with Yuan Chun Wang, the points here are :

1) YL needs to be QL's consort and established her own influence because as MY said, they don't have anyone to back them up ever since Fuca's death. Becoming his consort, is a way to protect herself and later on, she worked very hard to earn QL's favour so that she can level up with Consort Chun to avenge Empress Fuca's death.

2) Also, she needs to save MY knowing that she was put on slow death by Consort Chun (she planted needles in her body since MY already discovered her part in Prince Yongcong's death). When YL was promoted to a gui-ren, she also asked the Dowager Empress to get Consort Chun to give MY as her lady in-waiting which QL agreed to.

3) Interestingly, according to YCW's understanding, QL made YL his concubine because he does not trust her, knowing her scheming which may involve the Dowager (should she became her lady in waiting) and so, he made her his Da-Ying to keep a watchful eye on her. To QL, it is safer to have YL by his side than her by the Dowager's side. IMO, this is only partially true because he actually wanted her since a long time ago (predated to when Fuca was still alive). This is evident when he asked Hailanca to explain on YL's tricks in staging the auspicious events. When explaining to QL, Hailanca referred YL as "Ms. Ying Luo" so before he left, QL reminded him that Ying Luo is now his consort and he should hereon properly address her by her honorary title that is "Wei Gui-ren". Suffice to say, he acknowledged that she is indeed his from that moment on.

On the actual historical parts, I will leave it to @Cedric Ong to explain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, blessedchild said:

I understand that Ying Luo eventually fell in love with Qianlong. But, I am wondering why did Ying Luo tell QL that she was just using/did not like him when he confronted her about the birth control medication. Is it really just because she accidentally blurted out like she told Ming yu which I felt like was not a good reason?

I posed the same question back few pages ago and I think @ChloeR has explained (according to the novel version).

Spoiler

Accordingly, Er Qing (before her death) install the guilt on YL by saying that it's not only her who betrayed Fuca but YL did the same too, by becoming QL's consort. This refers to the conversation in Episode 27, when Er Qing suggested to Fuca to give YL to serve QL while Fuca was pregnant but YL swore off that she would never serve him. She said, even when all the women in the world wanted to become QL's women, she would never do so because she knows Fuca really loves QL. And becoming QL's woman is a betray to Fuca. Ofc, it turned out, YL did become QL's consort, his favorite some more and she eventually fallen for him. YL became wrecked with the guilt over her promise back then. To her, she has no reason to stay by QL's side (let alone love him) now that she had accomplished her mission by avenging Fuca's death. Thus, she unwillingly pushed him away.

Well, I can't claim accuracy on this but according to ChloeR, this is what transpired in the novel.

I honestly find this reason is weak because, YL knows well what a concubine's fate would be once she is no longer favoured by the Emperor (by pushing him away). The suffering won't only affect her but her retinues as well. And she is aware of the many enemies waiting to harm her.

IMO, YL said so because she was very angry with QL since Er Qing misled her to believe that there was a love affair between her and QL. Er Qing even claimed that QL fathered her child. She felt hurt by that revelation and by telling QL that she only made use of him is her way of getting back at him.

Anyway, noticed that the confirmation that Yingluo actually fallen in love with QL only arrived in episode 58 (verbalized by Ming Yue). LOL

And the same time, I find the meeting between the senior rank consorts (Shu, Jia, YL and Empress) to get rid of Chen Bi is funny. Throughout that period, all the people around YL (Fuheng, Empress Xian, Consort Shu) claimed how QL's favour towards Chen Bi surpassed the favours he showered on YL back then. What I find funny is except for Empress Xian, Ming Yue and perhaps Fuheng?, nobody actually knows why she fell out of his favour and the one that was truly crushed is not YL, but QL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blessedchild said:

I seee @lyserose. Wish there is more bts that we all can watch. Just wonder if Ying Luo knows the truth that Er Qing did not actually slept with Qian Long.

I read there a lot of scenes being censored that led to so many confusion (like whether QL did sleep with Er Qing or not, the affair between Er Qing and Fuheng's brother). 

I also asked the same question, did YL get to find out that Er Qing's scheming to make it look (or did?) sleep with QL. QL only get to defend himself by telling YL that he was not guilty. He never get to explain his side of the story to her. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, harooxxx said:

What is the difference between YL rank as Imperial Noble Consort Ling and Imperial Noble Consort Ling Yi that was given to her after she died? Is higher then the other one?

Then i dont understand, read somewhere said Consort Ling been buried in the Emperor's tomb so  in afterlife she is always be together with Qianlong Emperor. What does that mean? Was it in one coffin together or what..lol. Only her or with the Empress and other consort tooo?

General info on Qing dynasty consort rank system (max number at any one time) :

Spoiler

Empress / Huang Hou 皇后 (1)

Imperial Noble Consort / Huang Gui Fei  皇贵妃 (1)

Noble Consort / Gui Fei 贵妃 (2)

Consort / Fei 妃 (4)

Imperial Concubine / Pin 嫔 (6)

* the above are considered higher class and usually head of the palace they lived in. There's a limit on number of ladies in each rank. The below has no limits in their numbers. And usually the upper ones, the Emperor will gift them with a special name eg Ling Consort (instead of her surname Wei).

Noble Lady / Gui Ren 貴人

First Class Female Attendant / Chang Zai 常在 (interesting, the words translated to Always Around)

Second Class Female Attendant / Da Ying 答應 (translated as Answering Yes...guess these hint at their status)

Female Attendant / Guan Nv Zi 官女子 (actually not much difference from normal maids except perhaps had slept with the Emperor but no position given; usually excluded from the rank system).

https://lifeintheforbiddencity.weebly.com/imperial-consorts.html

About Consort Ling : 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Xiaoyichun

Her rank rose from maid directly to Noble Lady Wei (year 1745) , then Imperial Concubine Ling (same yr 1745), Consort Ling (1749), Noble Consort Ling (1760) and finally Imperial Noble Consort Ling (1765).

After she died (1775), she was posthumously granted the title "Imperial Noble Consort Ling Yi" (令懿皇貴妃). The only difference is Yi.

Actually this change of name is a posthumous honour. The Emperor would change the name....not all ladies who died....but usually for the higher ranked ones. Another example is Consort Gao. Before her death, she was already Imperial Noble Consort Gao. But after her death, she was named Imperial Noble Consort Huixian. Rank is still the same, only the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Noble_Consort_Huixian

Consort Ling's case....is one char was added. 懿 Yi means wonderful esp about a woman's char/virtue.

In the end, after Ling's son was chosen as next Emperor, she was posthumously promoted to Empress Xiaoyichun 孝仪纯皇后 (1796). Another name change. Some type of protocol.

About their coffins. Qianlong was buried in Yu Ling/mausoleum with Fuca on his right, Ling on his left....others include Gao, Jia and another less-known Zhe (also surname Fuca, but not related to Empress Fuca). So there are 6 (QL + 5 ladies). One extra space was empty.

Spoiler

v2-5d0a416d70a88154d8111d5c3192f976_hd.j

Ref to below : 6 is Jia , 5 is Zhe, 3 is Ling, 1 is Qianlong, 2 is Fuca, 4 is Gao.

v2-a1e09c124c8ebd91a74ebc3a3a782891_hd.j

Interestingly it's speculated Qianlong had left a space besides him for Ling. 1st the coffins were confirmed by experts that they were never moved. Ok, Empress Fuca was naturally reserved on his right. Then we look at their time of death.

Info from here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qianlong_Emperor#Family

Qianlong (1799)

Fuca (1748)

Ling (1775)

Gao (1745)

Zhe (1735)

Jia (1755)

Ignoring Fuca empress....the rest besides Ling all died long before her....and already held" Imperial Noble Consort" (either alive or posthumously) at their time of death....while Ling was probably only "Noble Consort" during their period. Yet they weren't placed nearer to the Emperor's coffin (which is fixed at the centre). So the guess is Qianlong already thought very highly of Ling at that time. Even before her 1st daughter (b1756) and son (b1757).

Of course it's just speculation. Maybe Qianlong just left a space knowing someone but not necessary Ling would be suitable later. Anyway in the end, she took that space in actual history, nobody else. Even position 7 which is empty, he never put anyone in.

Experts just find it unusual b'cos usually they (all same ranking) would fill up the space by sequence of death (except the Empress). 

Chinese article :

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/43856428

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have learned so much from this drama ...since i never watched a c drama with half shaved heads , this one is my first and i am glad YL is such an amazing woman  :)   Thank you @Cedric Ong for the above explanation and chart...previous comments mentioned the Da Ying and i think Gui Ren, and i did wonder what promotion lol our YL got . Once again, heartfelt  thanks :heart:

Thank you @Cedric Ong for the long explanation. I really appreciated it.

Btw I read Emperor will leave Imperial Noble Consort empty if there were an Empress to respect the Empress. Did Consort Gao became an Imperial Noble Consort when Empress Fuca still alive that time?.

Emperor added one char to title of Consort Ling with 'Yi= wonderful' after she died show how much he highly thinking and appreciated her. It was just a simple Yi but big meaning to define her as a person, wonderful.

If she was an evil woman, Emperor won't gave her so much respect. Read somewhere, she didn't promoted as the Empress when she was alive because her low status Han? That's why Emperor make her an Empress when he appointed her son. Usually the future/ next Emperor will appoint his mother as an empress. Beside emperor's favourite son Yongqi was really close with Consort Ling's son/ future heir, Yongyan. Like all Emperor's favourite were close with one another. 

About the coffins. Could it be a possibility that Emperor let the space beside him empty to reserved for Step Empress Ula Nara (died. 1766) before her downfall? Since most of the ladies died and been buried before Consort Ling became Emperor's woman (in 1745). Consort Ling could be buried at no.7 but since he disowned Ula Nara, he put Consort Ling at no.2. But like you said maybe he just left the space without knowing who will be place there. 

Was he doesn't have any other consorts after Consort Ling died? That is why no one fill the space at no.7?

Sorry for asking too much and bad grammar lol. I was just curious because of how from maid, the lowest rank can climbed up to be at the highest rank. You need to be Emperor's favourite to achieved this. Apart from that I wants to have better understanding since many contradict info from Ruyi's drama fans. Like they said Emperor asked to change the records and write Fuca as his most beloved wife and removed Ula Nara's records thus make her an evil ones.

Thank you for all the interesting info.  Really wish I spent more effort when I was learning my mandarin. There are so much intersting history and classical arts/poems thaf I reallg wished I could understand.

Hope this got subbed asap. 

Very interesting info on the Tomb as well. Just from the tomb arrangement alone,  it (at least for me personally), it shows how deeply QL cares for her (to the very least,  though I think he did love her a lot).  Maybe he could not make her empress when she was alive so maybe he made sure to make her one when he abdicated.  He placed her beside him long before he died, and no other concubine was buried near him after her even when he outlived her for 24 years.

Spoiler

As perhaps has been mentioned before,  some thing that made it hard for me to align that Ling was horrible character including toward Lady Kelieyete was that Yongyan and Yongqi were supposedly very close so it was also seemed (again my personal opinion please) hard for me to believe the narrative of her being a bad person, including toward YQ mom (if there was this narrative of course). If she was a horrible person and YQ mom or her close relative/friend was suffering because of her, I would not think YQ and YY would be close?.  I don't know,  just some of my thought, uninformed thoughts perhaps.  

I cannot comment which history was correct since I agree that noone knows for sure. But in my amateur and limited knowledge (which I go by unless or until otherwise proven wrong)  and I am not a history knowledgeable person though so I might be wrong. Sorry again if so:

-Fucha empress was reportedly a kind and virtuous person, in contrast with the portrayal of her being an antagonist.

--Concubine Ling was for me clearly beloved by the emperor to the point of him still elevating her to an empress long after she died. 

-Ulanara empress did something that angered QL So much that he seems to lose his feeling toward her and became cold toward her to the poing where he didn't seem to even want to be with her in the afterlife. He didn't even rehabilitated her burial site even long long after she died. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Quick question: why did Mingyu stab herself :(?

thank you and Peace all.  Just my personal opinion. No ill intention intended please. 

Peace!!