Quantcast
Jump to content

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, chipz03 said:

Quick question: why did Mingyu stab herself :(?

She knew she was dying because there was a remaining silver needle finally reaching her lung and as Physician Ye said, at that point, nothing can be done anymore (8 needles managed to be extracted out years ago). MY explained to Chen Bi she did not want to marry Hailancha because she didn't want him to see her die and Chen Bi used some psychological influence, telling her that "as long as she is alive", she needs to marry Hailancha (referring to wedding preparations, family involvement etc). Then she pretentiously presented her a wedding gift which include the golden scissors that influenced her to stab herself. 

 

Thanks @Cedric Ong We are so lucky to have you here. While I can understand and speak (rusty) mandarin, the understanding of dialogue is a bit tough given that they used ancient chinese. And hell, I can't read chinese (my chinese was so bad that I gave up after primary school). 

Anyway, I read that Consort Chun is a gui fei and she was merited the "yi" title after her death. Yet, why was she not interred together with QL? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@ChloeR I agree with your viewpoint. Your views are well said      Personally I am on the emperor ship. I think it’s quite unfair to compare the love that Ying Luo have with the king and the

I also think that while Fuheng has his knight-in-shining armour identity by doing the secret sweet stuff for WYL eg replacing her heater, making sure she is okay and generally watching over her etc, s

Nicely put. Didn't realise this but yes it is that rare drama where the emperor had to work really hard to win his concubine's heart. That's what this drama special too. Nie Yuan sold QL the way that

Do you agree with Empress (Consort Xian- Charmaine character) in EPS 69/70 when she said Qianlong “ever cared about was Ying Luo. She accuses Ying Luo of never caring about Qianlong, that she was always just using him for her own purposes”? Did Yingluo only used Qianlong for her own purposes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sharonfu18 said:

Do you agree with Empress (Consort Xian- Charmaine character) in EPS 69/70 when she said Qianlong “ever cared about was Ying Luo. She accuses Ying Luo of never caring about Qianlong, that she was always just using him for her own purposes”? Did Yingluo only used Qianlong for her own purposes? 

I believe that there is always that element with their relationship (just as it always exists with the other consorts and QL; it just happens because that's the nature of how a relationship with an emperor who has dozens of other wives and you have to fight for her power and status in the palace) and we know that from 42-54ish, she IS using QL to achieve her goal of revenge. But I don't think she was always just using him for her own purposes because I do believe that she fell in love with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to wiki, Noble Consort Gao was of the early batch (eg Fuca, Zhe consort, Xian consort) before Hongli became Emperor Qianlong in 1735.

 

Born 1711.

Enter Prince Hongli's house as maid in 1723 (her family background is lower than those like Fuca, Xian). Thus she worked as maid for about 10 yrs. Why later she was assigned as his wife....it's bcos of her dad Gao Bin who did good work for the court.

Married as secondary wife in 1734 (that's just b4 QL became emperor).

She was childless. Not even born but died early type. No reason mentioned in history.

Died 1745.

 

Historically she and Empress Fuca were on good relationship and the Emperor (whether b'cos of her dad or not) treated her fairly well. I read that Qianlong did write a few poems about her after her death.

 

Yes there was an unspoken rule that while the Empress is around, there's no Imperial Noble Consort (the highest after the Empress). 

 

So yes, Gao remains Noble Consort (Gui Fei) from 1738 to feb 1745 (Fuca was still alive). What happened was she became very sick, the Emperor probably either wanted to honour her b4 she died.....or hope the promotion will bring her blessings.....she was promoted to Imperial Noble Consort on 23 Feb....but she passed away 2 days later on 25 Feb.

 

****************************

 

Chun consort though also promoted to Imperial Noble Consort in 1760....and given a new name after death. But i saw the dates..she passed away just a few weeks after her promotion. I read it's also b'cos of illness. So probably same reason as above. 

 

So far they are all different from Ling consort who was Imperial Noble Consort for 10 years (1765-75)...and that's 1 yr b4 the Step Empress/Xian Consort died in 1766 (though the latter had lost power).

   

As in why Chun consort was not in the same room with Qianlong....not 100% sure. For one, she is of Han descent and her family aren't ministers/officials. She didn't enter by normal selection but was a beauty offered by province officials. Remember in the drama they kept saying she was from Jiangnan, the south region of China.

* actually some error in the drama already....she couldn't be childhood friends with Fuca. Guess it's just a fake detail to make her char fall in love with Fuheng.

 

Her background is mentioned here....chinese article.

http://www.sohu.com/a/243067909_501392

 

By right,  with 2 sons and 1 daughter, she should receive some merit. But one son actually offended Qianlong b'cos he shown lack of respect during Fuca's funeral. 

 

Trivia : Her daughter is the one who married Fu An Kang (Fuheng's son). 

 

Actually if observed the drama.....Qianlong still thought fondly of Gao consort (he didn't know she pushed Fuca)....and he disliked Chun consort (b'cos her deeds are exposed and was demoted, not historically accurate here). But in a way, the scriptwriter sort of "follow" history as in who is buried in the room and who's not.

 

But still she was buried as the main coffin in another room. Where the Step Empress/XIan Consort was placed there later....as side coffin. The irony if u think of their relationship in the drama.

 

****************

 

Add on a bit....2 others got the Imperial Noble Consort ranking. Jia and Lu. But both are posthumous promotion. Jia was in main tomb probably b'cos she is considered under Manchu, but of korean descent. And she got living sons.

 

Lu wasn't in main. She was han and was childless. She was the tall lady in the drama who sometimes say nice stuff for Ling. Her posthumous rank was b'cos she helped to bring up Yongyan, the next emperor. Same detail as in the drama.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so glad that there is this forum.

 

Would like to have a better understanding on QL sleeping arrangement. From some articles it is said that the concubines are allowed only an hour with the king and the king does not stay overnight.  But in this drama the king actually does spend nights sleeping with YL. 

 

So does it means the king actually decide to spend his nights with YL willingly and that is allowable or its basically fiction for the drama.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again @Cedric Ong

So, I thought only Consort Ling who rosed from a maid to the highest rank consort. Now I know, Gao was pretty much the same. 

 

Thanks for the enlightenment of why Consort Chun didn't but Consort Jia did made it in the main tomb together with QL. Even then, it feels weird that he left Plot no. 7 vacant. Was there no more high ranked consort after Consort Ling's death? Wondering maybe he intended to reserve Plot no. 3 for Xian (since she was a living Empress) but she offended him, thus he gave that plot to Consort Ling instead. 

 

Another question, was Consort Ling really the one who raised 5th Prince Yongqi? And why was Yongyan being raised up by Consort Lu and not by her own birth mother? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lyserose said:

Thanks again @Cedric Ong

So, I thought only Consort Ling who rosed from a maid to the highest rank consort. Now I know, Gao was pretty much the same. 

 

Thanks for the enlightenment of why Consort Chun didn't but Consort Jia did made it in the main tomb together with QL. Even then, it feels weird that he left Plot no. 7 vacant. Was there no more high ranked consort after Consort Ling's death? Wondering maybe he intended to reserve Plot no. 3 for Xian (since she was a living Empress) but she offended him, thus he gave that plot to Consort Ling instead. 

 

Another question, was Consort Ling really the one who raised 5th Prince Yongqi? And why was Yongyan being raised up by Consort Lu and not by her own birth mother? 

 

After Imperial Noble Consort Ling and also post-humously-promoted Jia and Qing (made a mistake here, Lu is surname)....there was no others of same ranking. Probably there's protocol that at least must be Imperial Noble Consort and of a certain family background or race group...to be buried in that room.

 

As for the Princes being raised (or shared the raising) by another lady....I read that one reason is to avoid the mother using the son to gain power esp for those with powerful family (eg dad as minister/general)....so with another lady being close like a mum help to "split" the influence a biological mother might have on her son. And a criteria for that lady is....no son in the 1st place.

 

The only exception is probably the Empress's son. 

 

Note despite say being raised.....most of the taking care still fell on the maids and old grannies. Then when the Princes are old enough like 10+....they moved outside of the ladies' palaces to study together.

 

For Yongqi, though his mother Yu consort and Ling consort are of similar rank at that time....Ling consort was more doted on. At that time, she was still childless. So there's a possibility they are close....to benefit from each other. Or it's just assigned by the Emperor/Empress. The scenerio in the drama was made up.

 

For Yongyan...Qing Consort (i made a mistake earlier, her surname is Lu, but consort name is Qing) is childless (and remains so until her death) was assigned to help raise Yongyan. One speculation is Ling was Noble consort and later when Yongyan was 5, she was already Imperial Noble consort, very influential. So Qing consort being very low profile and her family held little power....was suitable. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much @Cedric Ong for your informative answers about the real history behind this show! I've loved all your answers :)

 

I have another translation question: at the end of 49, when YL wakes up from her fall from the horse, she tells QL that someone tried to kill her and asks 如果有一天抓到了那个凶手皇上会为我做主吗, he says he/she? will. I translated that sentence but I'm still not clear on what it means in the context. Can someone explain this part to me? Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank once again @Cedric Ong.  Because the differences between Yanxi & Ruyi, make me interested to learn more about the history of them.

 

It no doubt after all explanation about the history, I came to conclusion Consort Ling indeed the lucky one & the ultimate winner lol. Among all consorts/ concubines except Fuca, Consort Ling was loved dearly by Qianlong.

 

Born from the lowly Han status compare to all QL's women who were born from higher and good background, she rose to the highest ranking. I believed there must be a love story involved between QL and CL. First 10 years, she keep on granted new ranks despite of no child. Next 10 years, she bore 6 child's for QL. Been buried next to him as he wished to have her next to him in afterlife. So Yongqi, QL's fav son was raised by CL in history too? Seems like all related with CL were QL's favourite. At the end once again Yongyan was chose as his successor and personally make CL as his empress.

 

I always thought, the highest someone can go if you born from a humble lowly status probably Imperial Noble Concubine. That is why I believe there must be a love story involved if QL really gave her highly respect when she was alive and long after her death.

 

So Consort Gao also started as a maid. But I think she's a bit difference compare to CL because he married to QL when he was just a Prince not an Emperor and beside her father was an officer. So her background back up her.

 

Before I have always thought Ula Nara/ Consort Xian was the true love of QL but from reading on wiki and here too, I think although she was the longest serving empress for 16 years, but she was married to QL way long before that but no child. Only after she became Empress she have a 3 child in 4 yrs compare to CL, 6 child in 10 yrs. The chances of getting pregnant is higher if emperor spent more time with them. QL had high respect on her but love I am still having a mixture feeling and thought on that. If she was QL true love compare to Fuca and Ling, I doubt QL will treats her the way we read in history. She was treated to lowest it could be. He despised her without considered her contribution.  At least there must be a love and pity on her left but until long after her death, QL didn't even moved her to be in the same tomb.QL didn't even regretted until he died lol.

 

I really wants to know more about Ling but her info is limited. Funny thing like one scene in drama when Consort Xian, the Ula Nara asked Ying Luo on how she keep maintain on receiving QL's love and attention. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, harooxxx said:

Thank once again @Cedric Ong.  Because the differences between Yanxi & Ruyi, make me interested to learn more about the history of them.

 

It no doubt after all explanation about the history, I came to conclusion Consort Ling indeed the lucky one & the ultimate winner lol. Among all consorts/ concubines except Fuca, Consort Ling was loved dearly by Qianlong.

 

Born from the lowly Han status compare to all QL's women who were born from higher and good background, she rose to the highest ranking. I believed there must be a love story involved between QL and CL. First 10 years, she keep on granted new ranks despite of no child. Next 10 years, she bore 6 child's for QL. Been buried next to him as he wished to have her next to him in afterlife. So Yongqi, QL's fav son was raised by CL in history too? Seems like all related with CL were QL's favourite. At the end once again Yongyan was chose as his successor and personally make CL as his empress.

 

I always thought, the highest someone can go if you born from a humble lowly status probably Imperial Noble Concubine. That is why I believe there must be a love story involved if QL really gave her highly respect when she was alive and long after her death.

 

So Consort Gao also started as a maid. But I think she's a bit difference compare to CL because he married to QL when he was just a Prince not an Emperor and beside her father was an officer. So her background back up her.

 

Before I have always thought Ula Nara/ Consort Xian was the true love of QL but from reading on wiki and here too, I think although she was the longest serving empress for 16 years, but she was married to QL way long before that but no child. Only after she became Empress she have a 3 child in 4 yrs compare to CL, 6 child in 10 yrs. The chances of getting pregnant is higher if emperor spent more time with them. QL had high respect on her but love I am still having a mixture feeling and thought on that. If she was QL true love compare to Fuca and Ling, I doubt QL will treats her the way we read in history. She was treated to lowest it could be. He despised her without considered her contribution.  At least there must be a love and pity on her left but until long after her death, QL didn't even moved her to be in the same tomb.QL didn't even regretted until he died lol.

 

I really wants to know more about Ling but her info is limited. Funny thing like one scene in drama when Consort Xian, the Ula Nara asked Ying Luo on how she keep maintain on receiving QL's love and attention. 

 

 

 

 

I am also watching Ruyi but not invested, partly because they bend the history too much. Once you get invested in the story, you will start digging on history and once you discovered the real one is far, in fact opposite of what you have been made to believe, you will be extremely disappointed. I am lucky that I watch "Yanxi" first and really liking it. 

 

There's a saying that you will hate someone deeply when that person is the one you loved the most (and that person betrayed you) but it's hard to see it that way between QL and Empress Xian. First, he never wanted to make her an Empress when Fuca died, only promoting her upon suggestion by Dowager Empress and even delaying her promotion. I read that the relationship was more bound by duty instead of passion and love. It was evident when QL promoted Consort Ling to Imperial Noble Consort, which as @Cedric mention above, the unspoken rule is that this position should not exist when the Empress is still around. Consort Ling was given that position before Xian's death. From there, we could perhaps guess, she is not so favoured by him or can I say, that promotion is a bit like him insulting her as an Empress, a way of him telling her who he prefered? I think not demoting her from her position (though the treatment reflected a demotion) is the last favour he could bring himself to give her. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lyserose said:

I am also watching Ruyi but not invested, partly because they bend the history too much. Once you get invested in the story, you will start digging on history and once you discovered the real one is far, in fact opposite of what you have been made to believe, you will be extremely disappointed. I am lucky that I watch "Yanxi" first and really liking it. 

 

There's a saying that you will hate someone deeply when that person is the one you loved the most (and that person betrayed you) but it's hard to see it that way between QL and Empress Xian. First, he never wanted to make her an Empress when Fuca died, only promoting her upon suggestion by Dowager Empress and even delaying her promotion. I read that the relationship was more bound by duty instead of passion and love. It was evident when QL promoted Consort Ling to Imperial Noble Consort, which as @Cedric mention above, the unspoken rule is that this position should not exist when the Empress is still around. Consort Ling was given that position before Xian's death. From there, we could perhaps guess, she is not so favoured by him or can I say, that promotion is a bit like him insulting her as an Empress, a way of him telling her who he prefered? I think not demoting her from her position (though the treatment reflected a demotion) is the last favour he could bring himself to give her. 

 

 

Yeah I used to heard about that. But I also know that its easy to hate and despise someone to the max when there is no love. 

 

I have to agree with you that it's hard to see  the relationship between QL and Xian involved love after I read here and there about QL and Fuca/Ling. I used to think Xian was QL probably his true love but it has change. They have stability in relationship for 16 years, Xian as Empress and plus many yrs before QL became an Emperor. She did her role very well and that why I feel QL respect her. But if you look at the timeline when she produced a babies for QL, it was after she became an Empress and that only in 4 years only. I felt like QL didn't gave her full attention after that. Probably his attention went to Ling since she was pregnant many times and the one produced babies the most. There was one QL's consort who died just before him became an Emperor. If she didn't died, probably she was the one will be Step Empress.

 

I have to correct you. I have checked Consort Ling was granted Imperial Noble Consort in July 1765, five month after the incident that caused her life ended in bad way. It happened on Feb 1765. Which means QL didn't appointed Ling before the incident, it was after and only a year before she died. It was not 2 years as you mentioned.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, believed said:

Thank you so much @Cedric Ong for your informative answers about the real history behind this show! I've loved all your answers :)

 

I have another translation question: at the end of 49, when YL wakes up from her fall from the horse, she tells QL that someone tried to kill her and asks 如果有一天抓到了那个凶手皇上会为我做主吗, he says he/she? will. I translated that sentence but I'm still not clear on what it means in the context. Can someone explain this part to me? Thank you!

Yingluo asked if one day they caught the one who tried to harm her, can she leave it to him (or let him decide)?  为我做主 can mean differently depending on the context. Here it means she is expecting him to punish the person accordingly and fairly. He said he would.

 

At 1st he said don't over think this....later he said he would....so i guess he believe what she had said....it's not an accident....thus the next episode, he asked Hai Lan Cha to investigate.

 

**********************

 

Actually Gao consort was treated fairly well too....compared to most of his women. After her death Qianlong wrote poems about her....though not as many as for Fuca and Ling. I think not just b'cos of her family background....b'cos later on, her dad was punished for some mistake in his flood-control work and her brother was executed for corruption. Yet he still thought of her once a while and wrote poems.

 

Another one even more known for being doted on is Rong Consort....the one from the western region and her religion is Islam. Qianlong made several allowance for her....eg given a chef specialised in her native food.......and also her table during group dinners got different dishes from the others. Though she wasn't buried in Qianlong's tomb room, her coffin got her name in native language, a special case allowed by Qianlong. Though alot of her trivia are dramatised and exaggerated in dramas as the Fragrance Consort, perhaps some parts must be true.

 

Actually not everything about Ling consort is liked by Qianlong. For one thing...though she gave Qianlong many children, her sons weren't known to be that super favored by Qianlong.....compared to Empress Fuca's son and Yongqi.

 

Yongyan (the next Emperor) was only moderately liked....experts speculated b'cos among the sons still alive at that period, he was considered not bad....meaning Qianlong has no other good choice. Haha.

 

In fact, Ling consort's youngest son....i think 17th....is recorded to be very disliked by QIanlong as he's very disobedient.

 

But still, i believe Ling Consort....the person herself....there must be something likeable about her char that QL likes. Not her family background (she got none), there's no clear record of her beauty or talents (eg music/dance) and neither it is about her children (she got none during early period of her marriage with QL). 

 

***************

 

Ya, it seems Ling consort was made Imperial Noble consort after the Step empress cut-hair incident....but still it's special b'cos it was made before the Step Empress passed away. If it's not affection...then perhaps Qianlong need her to have that rank....to help manage the palace in replacement of the Step Empress whose powers had been stripped by QL. Another possible reason could be to humiliate the Step empress. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cedric Ong said:

Yingluo asked if one day they caught the one who tried to harm her, can she leave it to him (or let him decide)?  为我做主 can mean differently depending on the context. Here it means she is expecting him to punish the person accordingly and fairly. He said he would.

 

At 1st he said don't over think this....later he said he would....so i guess he believe what she had said....it's not an accident....thus the next episode, he asked Hai Lan Cha to investigate.

 

**********************

 

Actually Gao consort was treated fairly well too....compared to most of his women. After her death Qianlong wrote poems about her....though not as many as for Fuca and Ling. I think not just b'cos of her family background....b'cos later on, her dad was punished for some mistake in his flood-control work and her brother was executed for corruption. Yet he still thought of her once a while and wrote poems.

 

Another one even more known for being doted on is Rong Consort....the one from the western region and her religion is Islam. Qianlong made several allowance for her....eg given a chef specialised in her native food.......and also her table during group dinners got different dishes from the others. Though she wasn't buried in Qianlong's tomb room, her coffin got her name in native language, a special case allowed by Qianlong. Though alot of her trivia are dramatised and exaggerated in dramas as the Fragrance Consort, perhaps some parts must be true.

 

Actually not everything about Ling consort is liked by Qianlong. For one thing...though she gave Qianlong many children, her sons weren't known to be that super favored by Qianlong.....compared to Empress Fuca's son and Yongqi.

 

Yongyan (the next Emperor) was only moderately liked....experts speculated b'cos among the sons still alive at that period, he was considered not bad....meaning Qianlong has no other good choice. Haha.

 

In fact, Ling consort's youngest son....i think 17th....is recorded to be very disliked by QIanlong as he's very disobedient.

 

But still, i believe Ling Consort....the person herself....there must be something likeable about her char that QL likes. Not her family background (she got none), there's no clear record of her beauty or talents (eg music/dance) and neither it is about her children (she got none during early period of her marriage with QL). 

 

***************

 

Ya, it seems Ling consort was made Imperial Noble consort after the Step empress cut-hair incident....but still it's special b'cos it was made before the Step Empress passed away. If it's not affection...then perhaps Qianlong need her to have that rank....to help manage the palace in replacement of the Step Empress whose powers had been stripped by QL. Another possible reason could be to humiliate the Step empress. 

 

Yes I read about the Fragrance Consort. QL recreated her place like her hometown and treated her way more special. 

 

About Consort Gao, thanks for the info..I didn't know about it. She probably one of QL favourite too.

 

Lol haha. If not all about Ling liked by Qianlong then I guess there must be something special about Ling as a person that he was so fond and attached to her. Just like you said.

 

I consider she is lucky then lol because she was still one of QL's fav as she didn't become like Yongqi's mother. She lost QL favour after Yongqi died and like Consort Chun because her son, Yongzhang disliked by QL after careless on taking Fuca's funeral.

 

Whatever it is again she was lucky to be chosen as Imperial Noble Consort by QL to managed the harem after Step Empress lost power compare to the other consorts at that time considering her background.

 

So QL did wrote poems about her too? Wow is there any sites to read about the poems he wrote for Fuca and Ling. Beside both of them + Gao, who else he wrote poems too?  I thought (before you reply above) he only wrote about Fuca. 

 

How about Xian Consort? Is the any poems about her? Can you tell me more about her other than what was written on wiki. Based on your knowledge about history, was she one of QL's fav before the incident.

 

I am sorry asking too much again and again.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, harooxxx said:

 

So QL did wrote poems about her too? I thought (before you reply above) he only wrote about Fuca. 

 

How about Xian Consort? Can you tell me more about her other than what was written on wiki. Based on your knowledge about history, was she one of QL's fav before the incident.

 

I'm not 100%....once i read there was poems on Ling. But after checking several sources...they only mention Fuca. Then for Gao, there was a source that said around 16 poems. To compare, Fuca got 100+. Perhaps if to be 100% accurate, only can say Fuca.

 

On Xian consort....I can't find any special mention of her being doted on or being praised by Qianlong. The overall impression some articles gave was she was probably well-behaved and capable. Or else the Dowager Empress wouldn't think well of her and suggested to Qianlong to promote her to Empress. Perhaps some feel her previous promotions were considered treated quite well by Qianlong. 

 

She was of a high status Manchu clan.....though a few dramas and records made a mistake....she wasn't the previous Empress's niece. Their clan names sound similiar but not exactly the same. 

 

Most articles would mention Fuca, Gao, Ling, Jia, Zhe and Rong (the one from western region) as favourites of QL. 

Zhe (also surname Fuca) was hardly mention in dramas b'cos she died very early in 1735 but she did give birth to QL's 1st son Yonghuang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Noble_Consort_Zhemin

But this Yonghuang didn't naturally became the 1st candidate for succession. And he was the other Prince who didn't show respect during Fuca's funeral and thus Qianlong also disliked him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonghuang

But back to his mother....while she died in 1735 as merely a Consort, Qianlong posthumously promoted 2 times after death until Imperial Noble Consort....so she must be special to him. She was one of the ladies married to him as a prince.

 

* In Yanxi drama, these 2 chars were not mentioned at all....same goes for some other children...eg Fuca should have a daughter.

 

**************

 

Actually u can see Qianlong's liking for which son and for which lady are not necessary related. Another example is Yu Consort and Yongqi. Yongqi was well-liked but Yu Consort didn't get much promotion. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Yingluo asked if one day they caught the one who tried to harm her, can she leave it to him (or let him decide)?  为我做主 can mean differently depending on the context. Here it means she is expecting him to punish the person accordingly and fairly. He said he would.

 

At 1st he said don't over think this....later he said he would....so i guess he believe what she had said....it's not an accident....thus the next episode, he asked Hai Lan Cha to investigate.

Oh, thank you! I was tripped up over the literal meaning of the words, so it was really confusing. I wonder if that moment was the first he suspected Consort Chun for trying to kill YL since he did go over to her palace the next day/whenever and was cold to her.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, believed said:

Oh, thank you! I was tripped up over the literal meaning of the words, so it was really confusing. I wonder if that moment was the first he suspected Consort Chun for trying to kill YL since he did go over to her palace the next day/whenever and was cold to her.

Hai Lan Cha investigated and found someone had put something in the horse's food that caused it to go wild. 

 

Qianlong went to visit Chun Consort. I suspect he had no clear evidence on her....but if u watched that part....esp the actors' expressions....he was watching her facial expressions very closely as he told her his speculation (that Ling Consort posed no danger to the Step Empress at that time, and the other consorts wouldn't have the guts....while Chun is the one most affected after Ling returned to the palace)....i think he observed something and more or less confirmed it's her.

 

The way he spoke is so calm yet there's an underlying fierceness in his eyes and tone. And the way he fingered the black and white round chess pieces in his hand added to the suspense.

 

But as there's no clear evidence so he merely gave her a warning and left.

 

The next moment when Chun consort turn around....her expression changed from a look of pitiful and being misunderstood....to a fierce look....as she blamed Yu consort for failing in her task. I think these 2 scenes show good acting.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

One trivia. The physician Ye Tian Shi 叶天士 in the drama is a real historical person. He was really a well known doctor. Often included in top 10 chinese doctors in history.

 

Though there was record of him being invited to treat someone in the palace...none on him working as royal physician. So that part is made up.

 

He is known for treating febrile diseases...i think sudden fever due to infections. And his work was credited in helping some doctors in treating SARS later on.

 

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/www.theepochtimes.com/the-life-of-dr-ye-tianshi-founder-of-the-theory-seasonal-febrile-diseases_1517039.html/amp

 

One famous product he was credited for giving the formula is this cough medicine.

 

20180223ninjiom_05s_1024.jpg

 

One important ingredient is Loquat. Remember in the drama Yingluo in very early episode told Yu consort that fresh loquat leaves might be poisonous. And she got this info from a visiting physician. 

 

Then later the 1st time Ye Tianshi came into the palace, he stared at Yingluo abit. Though his reason is there are many beauties around...but he didnt actually glance around....and this part wasn't explained well....some viewers speculated he was the one who treated Yingluo when she was younger. 

 

But abit of doubt is perhaps her looks didnt change much..or else child vs adult not easy to recognise.

 

Perhaps this part is a hidden reference to the loquat medicine he created.

 

Chinese article.

https://www.goody25.com/mind8356780

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 7:46 PM, Cedric Ong said:

I'm not 100%....once i read there was poems on Ling. But after checking several sources...they only mention Fuca. Then for Gao, there was a source that said around 16 poems. To compare, Fuca got 100+. Perhaps if to be 100% accurate, only can say Fuca.

 

On Xian consort....I can't find any special mention of her being doted on or being praised by Qianlong. The overall impression some articles gave was she was probably well-behaved and capable. Or else the Dowager Empress wouldn't think well of her and suggested to Qianlong to promote her to Empress. Perhaps some feel her previous promotions were considered treated quite well by Qianlong. 

 

She was of a high status Manchu clan.....though a few dramas and records made a mistake....she wasn't the previous Empress's niece. Their clan names sound similiar but not exactly the same. 

 

Most articles would mention Fuca, Gao, Ling, Jia, Zhe and Rong (the one from western region) as favourites of QL. 

Zhe (also surname Fuca) was hardly mention in dramas b'cos she died very early in 1735 but she did give birth to QL's 1st son Yonghuang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Noble_Consort_Zhemin

But this Yonghuang didn't naturally became the 1st candidate for succession. And he was the other Prince who didn't show respect during Fuca's funeral and thus Qianlong also disliked him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonghuang

But back to his mother....while she died in 1735 as merely a Consort, Qianlong posthumously promoted 2 times after death until Imperial Noble Consort....so she must be special to him. She was one of the ladies married to him as a prince.

 

* In Yanxi drama, these 2 chars were not mentioned at all....same goes for some other children...eg Fuca should have a daughter.

 

**************

 

Actually u can see Qianlong's liking for which son and for which lady are not necessary related. Another example is Yu Consort and Yongqi. Yongqi was well-liked but Yu Consort didn't get much promotion. 

 

 

Some said his poems about Fuca mostly about feeling regretful. Did you know why? 

 

I think QL treated his women (early batch) before he became an Emperor very well and pretty much honour and full of respect including Xian, if not how come he was having her as Empress for 16 yrs, promoted his consort 2 time to make her an Imperial Noble Consort even after her death. It just Xian had bad luck at the end.  Although it was a bad deal to cut hair that time but it can be forgiven considering long time Iive together. I think there must be something big happened and not just incident.

 

Yeah I can see it, that is why he was still favoured Ling although he disliked her kids. When Ling was chosen as Imperial Consort, was there no one senior or any other same level with her. I am interested to know more about her actually.

 

The cough medicine product is one of my fav. Wow it was produced long time ago. It is interesting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone explain to me why QL act like an jerk in the ep when Ming Yue dead. He spent time with other woman and let YL alone in sadness. Why did he ignored YL?

 

Also what was the dialogue between YK & QL when they argued before she left with empress dowager?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...