[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, believed said:

Another question!

When Consort Shun and Ying Luo were talking in 64 and CS was confronting her about how YL planned everything all along, I think she brought up when she walked in the rain to go see Qianlong, something about how she could've told him her suspicions once she knew but she didn't (I don't recall if this was actually what she said or if I completely misunderstood it) -- can someone explain what Yingluo's plan was?

Ok, Yingluo started suspecting Consort Shun once Mingyu was dead. At 1st she didn't confront Consort Shun....she actually went to look for Qianlong but she suspect/fear QL was already deceived by CS....so she immediately changed plan (and it's really a more complicated one.....this is a talent, remember that time Gao Consort summoned her at night and along the way, she already thought of acting dim-witted...and one consort commented that it's scary of someone can think of new plans so fast). 

This time, she brought along the scissors and confronted CS on purpose (actually a normal YL won't need to confront since already know CS is involved)....her aim is to create an incident where she would hurt CS (perhaps not necessary the stab, but at least something to make YL look like a troublemaker). She planned to be punished (probably she guessed QL won't kill her....the maximum would be just imprisonment)....and she is right.  

She guessed the more she "fell"....the more the enemies would reveal themselves and do more daring things to her....eg Yuan Chun Wang bullying her.....Consort Shun starting to trick her to elope. She need more hints to understand the situation (from her point of view, CS's initial action eg towards Mingyu is only towards her....but it can't be so simple....there should be more.....so as CS kept asking her to elope....it pointed to more people possibly being hurt eg QL).

Though not mentioned here by CS....i read that when Yingluo realised she might not be able to see Qianlong on that day or convince him....she used another method....she purposely did something out of character.....QL knew her well....that's why QL in another dialogue also said he knew something is amiss when he saw YL had gone to Consort Shun's place with a weapon and tried to kill the latter. So he also played along....and keeping her imprisoned is also a way to stall for time. YL was expecting QL to start suspecting and thus check on Consort Shun himself....which he did.

Consort Shun then guessed that Yingluo is making use of this elope issue to prove herself to Qianlong....who would be touched and their relationship would be stronger after this. Also Fuheng's decision also help to prove his loyalty. CS said YL knew Fuheng would definitely sacrifice himself....YL said no, not sacrifice, it's understanding. Fuheng understood her (meaning he knew she won't betray QL and so he won't too).

CS then asked if there's another trump card (actually to think of it, there are risks)....YL said she is pregnant...so meaning she already knew much earlier. If anytime come to danger, she would reveal it to save herself.

Read from somewhere....from quite a few of these palace-themed dramas....u would realise there are 4 types of clever people.

1st type is when they encounter danger eg being framed.....on the spot, they would prove themselves either by wits or....perhaps with a bit of luck.

2nd type is they see the danger earlier on.....and quickly defuse it before it really happen.....but the bad guy usually will not be exposed too.

3rd type is they see the danger and purposely let it develop....then expose it at the final moment. Usually the enemy would be caught so u use this to get rid of your enemy.

4th and last type.....is to add on to the 3rd....they think far ahead and welcome such "danger" to improve their own status. Eg if the emperor found out that u had been framed....and u acted depressed for a long while (bcos he had not trusted u)....he would feel guilty and your status in his heart would go up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow it seems like Yingluo got all the 4 smarts haha

Even Wu Jinyan said in an interview that Yingluo's IQ is really too high xD

So does Qianlong knows that Yingluo was the one who planned the whole thing out (fall of Consort Shun)? Like in the drama, I know that he said Yingluo knew Consort Shun had ulterior motives yet she still intentionally used Consort Shun just to make him anxious on whether she will elope with Fuheng or not. But Im not sure if he knows that she planned the whole thing out to make him realize how much he love her and how significant she is to him? Basically whatever Consort Shun guessed about Yingluo's motives. 

And lol regarding Yingluo's pregnancy. It seems as if she knew about it early on yet she ran around in high heels and walked in the rain? The first time I watched the episodes, I thought she caught a bad cold from walking in the rain, I couldnt even tell it was morning sickness lol kudos to her for hiding it from Yun Chun Wang and everyone else 

• LOL 1

I think QL had guessed YL planned to lead Consort shun into this trap. Perhaps to him...he felt if YL is willing to do so much to "prove" her love to him (even it involved abit of cunning) or to make him realise she is important to her....it is enough to him...at least he matters to her in a way.

Btw them...they often play "games" to "test" each other....one related to Consort Shun would be QL always gift her with jewellery (but not other stuff that can't be wore) While they were considered expensive gifts, YL mentioned to QL she had deduced that QL knew CS would wear in front of YL...thus either it will make YL jealous or it will make YL aware of QL's motive.

All are mind games. That is why their wits are comparable.

Just came across....remember the part where one prince was punished for adding salt to meat eaten during a ceremony. Not clear in drama though we know YL is involved.

Someone who read the script said YL had earlier on wet a cloth or paper with salt water and this was used to wipe the knife used to slice the meat. This cloth was only placed on the tray for the prince. Of course this got loophole but YL when replied to Fuca had said QL is using this chance to put down some royalty who had been abusing their power...so wont really do a full investigation.

• Thanks 1

It's honestly must be tiring to be Yingluo lol not only she has to use her wits against other concubines but she also has to use it to play games with her own husband. My head hurts for her lol

For ep 59, I thought Qianlong already forgave Yingluo since he slept with her, but who knew he still held a grudge and went on to make Yingluo jealous. Like he insisted on Yingluo not loving him but yet he still wanted to test her? like huh? Qianlong's logic from ep 59-63 is quite incomprehensible to me. Like would you spend your time and effort trying to make a person jealous if you strongly believe/think that you dont have a position in their heart lol 

AND also for the part when Consort Shun got into trouble with Empress Dowager. During the conversation between Yingluo, Emperor, and empress dowager, Qianlong scolded Yingluo for "harming Consort Shun" by badmouthing her to the empress dowager and even said Yingluo is not a nice person. Yingluo looked so hurt over what he said. In addition to that, he brought back Consort jia and promoted her and consort shu to the same rank as Yingluo :) like LOL 

Personally, if it were me I would forgo the mission of regaining his heart LOL like I know he was mad at her but to downgrade her character like that was a little disappointing lol lowkey wish they would have added a part where Yingluo was leaving for real so Qianlong has to chase after her and apologize haha but then again, Qianlong was not at fault for being mad. Oh God, their relationship is so complicated, I dont even know who to support xD

• LOL 1

This drama requires viewers to do lots of mental exercise, like every single action has a double meaning. One minute you think it is that way, another minute the character proven how stupid you were for thinking so straight-forwardly. 

It's hard to take side when comes to QL and YL relationship. I do understand why he still had personal grudge on YL even after they slept together in ep59. After all, he was led to believe (which she confirmed) that she could entertained him even no feelings involved. He must have thought that she toyed with his feelings again. 

And then, I was also mad as hell with how QL treated YL esp rubbing to her face on how he doted on Consort Shun and used words to hurt her. I can't forgive him when he was being insensitive towards YL after Ming Yue's death. Even when he intended to hurt YL by showing off with Consort Shun, the timing was off. I mean, unlike Fuheng, his love is kinda selfish but then again, he is an Emperor and brought up that way. 

In a way, I still think YL and QL match each other. Only they can keep each other on their toes. 

• Thanks 1

yeah..that scene when he was being a richard simmons-bag towards Yingluo after Mingyu's death got me fuming lol

If he was still unable to forgive her then I think it was best that he didnt sleep with her until all misunderstanding clears out. He even declare that he wont touch her again *rolls eyes* so hard to understand an emperor's mind LOL. That episode totally toyed with the viewers' feelings lmao we all thought theyve made up but no. more angst for us haha

But thats the whole confusion for me. Qianlong is persistent in believing that Yingluo doesnt have any feeling for him thus what motivates him to keep showing off that he dotes on Consort Shun? Like how does he know that it will effectively hurt Yingluo? 

But I am glad their baby was conceived during this time instead of when Yingluo was still in the middle of revenging (assuming she doesnt consume the birth control). At least the child was conceived out of love and not by accident/obligation/tool for revenge :) 

You're right. Qianlong and Yingluo match each other really well. Love the chemistry btw Nie Yuan and Wu Jinyan despite the age gap. Im excited for their new drama (The Beauty Hao Lan) together! Hopefully, its a happy ending like this one! ^_^ 

• Thanks 1

Ya...i admit both parties have to be compatible in this...else easily stressed out.

Without going into details....YL understood QL so much better than how others look at him. Often she wasn't angry (after some actions from him) and the script had to arrange her surrounding cast to ask her that a few times. I often think there is a reason for certain scene and dialogue to happen.

One interpretation could be she doesn't care....but another interpretation is she saw through his behaviour...esp the overall gesture of doting on Consort Shun.

If u think QL really fell for CS's beauty...no...from the very start, QL being his type of petty (and u can say childish) he won't be the 1st to give in to YL to get her back from Yuan Ming Garden. He need a tool to make YL worry. CS just happened to appear.

U may stop at this point....but some viewers even think QL purposely do the doting on a more exaggerated manner than normal....again.. the word is out of character. So that YL would realise the doting isn't real...but QL is hinting to her that she need to give in.

The only thing he didnt expect is CS is a bad guy.

• Like 1

Only YL capable to play the mind game with QL.

I think his exaggeration on his doting on CS is his attempt to make YL jealous and hint to her to fight for him. At the same time, he kept digging about YL through CS but YL is not stupid either to allow QL to have easy access on her mind and heart as well. This is where she prevailed cos unlike the rest of his women, she is the only one who played push and pull with him, thus challenging him. 

Talking about hinting to YL to fight for him...It seems pretty clear that QL still believe that he has a place in YL's heart even when she crushed him in episode 55. To me, his doting on CS is superficial only. What kind of man actually ask about another woman if he really love that woman? 

Came to think of it, of all his women, Empress Fuca has the most simplest unmotivated love towards QL. And QL really eating his words with regards to YL. As he said in episode 37, he thought harem should have a woman with different character like YL whom is difficult to handle, a quality he finds interesting. She certainly gave him a hard time. Lol. 

• LOL 1

4 hours ago, ChloeR said:

You're right. Qianlong and Yingluo match each other really well. Love the chemistry btw Nie Yuan and Wu Jinyan despite the age gap. Im excited for their new drama (The Beauty Hao Lan) together! Hopefully, its a happy ending like this one! ^_^ 

I happened to like two drama couples with large age gap this year. NY and WJY happened to have very sexy chemistry. It was esp evident when their characters flirted even during the final moment in ep 70 where they were draped in imperial attire. 

Not likely they will have a happy ending in TBOHL since he played the councillor while WJY will play the wife of the King of Qin. If to follow history, she was his concubine who he gave to the prince of Qin. Loveline is still possible i think. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChloeR said:

But thats the whole confusion for me. Qianlong is persistent in believing that Yingluo doesnt have any feeling for him thus what motivates him to keep showing off that he dotes on Consort Shun? Like how does he know that it will effectively hurt Yingluo? 

Even though he thinks that Yingluo doesn't have any feelings for him, I think it feels pretty obvious that he hopes she DOES somewhere, which gives him a reason to hold on. Remember when he brought up the hat she made for him? He was clinging to that as proof she did like him, even though she said she didn't. He kept waiting for her letters even though he pretended he didn't care. He's just dumb, but he really hoped.

• Like 1

Just some random questions...

Qianlong gave the title "Ling" to Yingluo and as described by Consort Yu, she must be as good as a jade for him to give her that title. 

So I am curious what does "Shun" means and why does he named her "Chen Bi"

Also, when Fuheng went to Yuan Ming Garden to persuade Yingluo to return to Forbidden City, he said that during those 3 months, QL never once thought of YL as he was enthralled by Chen Bi. That's not really the case I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyserose said:

Just some random questions...

Qianlong gave the title "Ling" to Yingluo and as what commented by Consort Yu, she must be as good as a jade for him to give her that title. 

So I am curious what does "Shun" means and why does he named her "Chen Bi"

I read Consort Shun is a combination of 2 historical chars from Qianlong period...the other name is consort Rong.

Back to Shun 顺, it means smooth-going, in sequence...maybe also obedient. This name isn't much explained. But Chen Bi 沉璧 is. Bi is actually a type of jade. Chen is sank or sinking.

It comes from a poem with these words 浮光跃影,静影沉璧...the last 2 chars. It refers to the moonlight being so beautiful...the light flickers on the water surface...and the reflected moon is like a piece of jade sank into the water. 

Chinese article on this term. 

https://baike.baidu.com/item/静影沉璧

So if u want to link to Ling consort...same ref to jade. But one is more about reflected moon..and sank jade, so does it means she is inferior? 

Actually about Ling 令, it doesn't mean jade. Direct word if use in modern context means order or command. But records said Qianlong got this word from this saying (the same in the drama), 如圭如璋,令闻令望. 

The 1st 4 chars refers to 2 types of jade items "gui" and "zhang", the last 4 chars mean wonderful and to be admired. Overall meaning is (this person) is wonderful as these jade items. The "ling" here means wonderful or good.

https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/467229312.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cedric Ong said:

So if u want to link to Ling consort...same ref to jade. But one is more about reflected moon..and sank jade, so does it means she is inferior

Which one is inferior? Consort Ling? 

Thanks @Cedric Ong You have been our source of information and heart and soul of this forum. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lyserose said:

Which one is inferior? Consort Ling? 

Thanks @Cedric Ong You have been our source of information and heart and soul of this forum. 

I mean Chen Bi. Bcos is Yingluo or Ling Consort is comparable to jade....and Chen Bi is only as pretty as moonlight which is poetically compared to a sinked piece of jade. Somehow Chen bi name gives me an illusionary feel.

But do note in history...there is no name of Chen Bi. In records for palace ladies, they never wrote their names....only their surnames and consort "label". 

The Chen Bi name is made up in this drama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

I mean Chen Bi. Bcos is Yingluo or Ling Consort is comparable to jade....and Chen Bi is only as pretty as moonlight which is poetically compared to a sinked piece of jade. Somehow Chen bi name gives me an illusionary feel.

But do note in history...there is no name of Chen Bi. In records for palace ladies, they never wrote their names....only their surnames and consort "label". 

The Chen Bi name is made up in this drama.

Thanks. Yes, I am aware that Chen Bi is strictly fictional though loosely based on one of Qianlong's consorts (I think the one of Uyghur descent). Even Empress Fuca's personal name never recorded. 

Anyway, I wonder why she is his only consort that QL gave a nickname to. I agree that her nickname feels like an illusion. BTW, i find that of all QL's wives, Empress Fuca is the most beautiful though I think in the drama, it was implied that Chen Bi is the prettiest and coming in second is Consort Gao since YL asked Empress Xian if Chen Bi is even more beautiful than Consort Gao. 

And with regards to QL, I tend to read his inner feeling by reading the reaction on Eunuch Li Yu's face. 

• Like 1

I love Li Yu! He's so funny LOL Besides YingluoxFucaEmpress and YingluoxQianlong, LiYuxQianlong is my 3rd fav CP haha

I also noticed that in the drama, almost everyone thinks that Yingluo is selfish and only loves herself. In ep 70, even Empress Xian told Qianlong in front of everyone that Yingluo doesnt love him but only herself. But I think only Empress Fuca, Fuheng, Qianlong, and Mingyu know that Yingluo is the opposite of that. Yingluo has devoted the first 1/3 of her life in revenging for her sister, 2/3 of her life revenging for empress Fuca and Mingyu, and the last bits of her life to Qianlong. Only those who understand her knows that she has spent her entire living for other people and not herself. And I think its interesting how the scriptwriters illustrated this concept in the drama. Those who envied and hated Yingluo never saw through her "selfish/cold" facade, but those who loved her understood her true self. Thus, Empress Fuca, Fuheng, and Mingyu always tell Yingluo to live for herself and be happy. The three of them all wanted her to have a happy life. Qianlong doesnt tell her that but he does everything he can to give her a happy life (basically letting her doing everything she wants disregarding the protocols in the palace). 

Also @lyserose, regarding that scene about who's prettier btw Chen Bi and Consort Gao. For some reasons, I feel like it was a given hint that Qianlong didnt fall head over heels for Chen Bi's beauty. If he was someone who was after beauty, he wouldve been crazily in love with Consort Gao at that time, but he wasnt. So, Chen Bi's beauty had no effect on him either and was probably used as a tool by him to ignite some jealousy/reaction from Yingluo. 

Btw, is Yingluo described as a beauty in the drama? Because I watched several videos on Youtube talking about the history of Consort Ling, she was described as beyond beautiful, kind, and intelligent, which is why Qianlong favored her so much. However, in the drama, Im not sure if she was portrayed as one. 

All I rmb is that one scene where Qianlong asked that one doctor  to examine 5th prince Yongqi, he just kneeled there and stared at Yingluo instead as if he was mesmerized which made Qianlong annoyed haha

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, ChloeR said:

Also @lyserose, regarding that scene about who's prettier btw Chen Bi and Consort Gao. For some reasons, I feel like it was a given hint that Qianlong didnt fall head over heels for Chen Bi's beauty. If he was someone who was after beauty, he wouldve been crazily in love with Consort Gao at that time, but he wasnt. So, Chen Bi's beauty had no effect on him either and was probably used as a tool by him to ignite some jealousy/reaction from Yingluo

When i mentioned beauty, I wasn't implying that QL easily charmed by beauty. Even Empress Xian herself said that he is so used to beautiful women that it took greater qualities than beauty to win his favour in such a short span of time as Chen Bi did. My point of mentioning beauty is because everyone in the drama raved about Chen Bi's beauty and Ying Luo asked for a comparison with Consort Gao (of all his wives) which made me think that the beauty ranking is as such. 

If ones look deeply into the timeline, Chen Bi's rapid rise in rank from "gui ren" to "pin" is more or less the same time span taken by Ying Luo which is 3 months. 

And interestingly, despite Empress Xian knew how big the momentum of YL's fell from QL's good grace and her long 3yrs absence, she still think that YL is the only one capable to bring down Chen Bi (even when Empress Xian bragged on how Chen Bi is greater than YL). Also, I am amazed at how fast YL took her down, referencing on the timeline since she agreed to join forces with Empress Xian to finally revealed to be pregnant with QL's baby. 

• Like 1

One thing is as much as the drama tried to choose suitable actresses to play each part....don't take it too seriously as comparing who is more beautiful than the other.

Eg Gao consort. I think they chose the actress bcos she can act that exaggerated arrogant style but initially she was criticised to look abit too old. Similarly Consort Shun was supposed to be outstandingly beautiful but the actress herself though quite pretty doesnt shock us.

Neither is believable that she got all the 12 virtues of the paintings Qianlong initially gifted his consorts. So i guess that part when he said she has those virtues...it is a hint that he isnt serious about it...it sound so fake.

I am not sure in history is there enough info to rank the ladies in term of beauty. All must be at least pretty enough to at least appeal to an Emperor. 

But in history books, Consort Rong (from the western region) is indeed recorded to be very beautiful. I suspect the drama combined her with Consort Shun (and used Shun instead) is 1st avoid the govt ban on certain ethnic groups...2nd is bcos Rong consort in history never did any wrong and was favored until her death in her 40s. Then Shun consort is a different person who initially was consort/Fei...but demoted to Guiren without any recorded reason. So using her name is suitable...perhaps really some hidden wrong she had done.

Quanlong had ever order 12 paintings of his ladies. Painted at different times...so some look older....while some retain previous ranks. A few rank higher probably bcos either they died early, being senior...or at that very period, they are indeed favourite eg Gao consort.

I only name the 1st few bcos they are important and appear in the drama. Noted Consort Xian or the Step empress was not included. Guess it added to the theory of how he dislike her.

1. Qianlong

2. Fuca

3. Gao

4. Chun

5. Jia (the one who in the drama killed early by Xian consort...then later her sister replaced her position with same consort name. In history there was only one Jia consort.)

6. Ling 

7. Su (7 & 8 are the 2 good "sisters"...the shorter Su and the taller Qing)

8. Qing

(Actually they all look similar...haha..perhaps due to painting style)

https://m.sohu.com/a/222927535_99929216/?pvid=000115_3w_a

Btw the above paintings have been "lost" (i think loot during the european armies attacking the palace in late Qing period) and are now in US....Cleveland Museum.

http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1969.31

Interesting for the western region beauty Rong consort he had her painted in non traditional more western style. Perhaps he felt her beauty is best expressed in that way. There are a few paintings still kept in China.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/容妃/4106533

• Like 1

Hello, I m new here. I have some episodes i dont understand and i manage to go thru the whole topic but i might have miss if anyone mentioned it before so please bear with me.

I dont understand the part about the pictures of a mother with a twin children given to the Emperor. How is it related to the Emperor's real mother. Anyone understand this? I think around episode 56-57

Thank you