[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

The last time I came to soompi was when I was chasing another famous heart pain drama, Moon Lover. Today I came here because I am really very sad about the ending. So little sweetness. The past 2 weeks, the writers have been spammed as they gave the other leads too much screen times. From weibo, already people prewarned about the little sweetness at the end. I think the novel extra scenes are much better. =( 

I felt as in something missing. The beginning first 25 episodes were so good. So sweet. The pace is good. I was expecting it to stay this way. As the original writer said, 80-90% will be similar to the novel. The beginning was well, then... things changed when more unnecessary sideline stories were expanded. I stopped watching live halfway until the male lead becomes Mo Zun. Then in between the female lead being bullied so I waited till she going to get married then continue to watch. And yet, the ending as usual of china dramas, so rush. Fuyao is one of them, then this. =(

I need to go back to catch the novel extra stories to recover my poor heart as the extra stories really very sweet.

• Like 6

@Evangeline Yang

At least we have a happy end - i don´t want to talk about my trauma here. Giving me my most fav Drama Character ever and than ruin everything.

I agree - C Drama don´t like to give us longer happy ends... thas one thing I wish them to change - or a few more happy times in the middle - would be nice too... a lot of suffering and a painful lovestory - But this time it is really a happy end...

I just watched Fu Yao  - but that end it terrible...

Sure - I havent seen todays episode - but i guess we will not get much more for the happy time than that what they already let us know about. Okay -  still - they found each other again. And the image of the familiy is wonderful.

I am a bit torn - one little part of me still wishes for Night to find a cheerful woman later - who can bring the light in his darkness. The other part of me says - he deserves to be alone... From the spoiler it looks like he had a painful time dealing with the demon inside - and wait - Phönix came to rescue him... yeah - thats fits... he would do that. Its still his brother and JM wished for peace... And Its good that Night have to pay a price for getting that power.

The Princess is now the Queen - and Phönix is still Phönix... don´t tell me JM is mortal... For that i need the subs.

I need to wait now to see the real thing...

The spoiler already hurted me so much - loosing her again... thats torture.

Waiting to see it - is torture now too...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I watched the last episode.

There were many spoilers on weibo.

Good ending for the main leads I only said 5 min max. Many people scolding on weibo and tieba because of the ending. I think partly many are just so disappointed that in the end, other characters still get so much screen times. I was like wth... can go to main leads? They are so sad the past 20 over episodes.

Nevertheless, I think the novel and fanfics that people wrote will heal the pain.

I will miss the main leads, their interaction on the BTS was so cute.

I will miss the Yue Lao and the Snake God as they are really the push of the CP. The last time I chased a drama so hard and live in San Sheng San Shi. Haiz... Now, I am back to rewatch the first 20 episodes to heal my poor heart.

Spoiler

Btw, the princess has the most terrible ending. Many people got stunned and felt that even though she was bad. But is due to love that she did all she did but the ending really was terrible...

The english version of the novel. The only part they don't have is Hong Chen Jie.

I have the online version but is in Chinese.

Hope the novel can heal the unhappiness part of the ending...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Btw JM is still a goddess but some said she is same as Phoenix, she entered into Demon's body. Just that they lived in the place that they were the happiest as mortals. But the last part of the drama got the hint. I think this drama has a lot of hints we need to catch, expressions we need to see. If we miss a part, unable to catch anything. I wish to facepalm.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, mrsyooknit said:

I havent seen it but fans dont seem too happy with the ending, not enough sweetness or interactions between our couple. 

Could have been better but it is a happy ending so lets rejoice, we know how hard those are to come by :lol:

If you are on weibo, halfway through the drama, the initial editors and the film hired editors had a weibo fight. It seems like it is an argument over unnecessary scenes given to the other leads that dilute the main leads' scenes. Thus since then many fans already very unhappy. Plus can see that the beginning parts of the drama were much better pace and after episode 29, the direction changed. So many of them are unhappy over the ending as too diluted. The worst is no kisses, no hint xoxo... because initially, the drama has a lot. Then after that not much for the main leads. Many are healing from broken hearts now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Have not watched today episodes, but based on the spoiler all of you posted here, I think I will not like it very much. Might as well postponed the watching and wait for the sub. In the mean time, I will continue my watching from beginning with sub (I am at episode 17).

While the drama has lots of fault, I need to give my praise to the war scene. That is a very gorgeous cinematography and CGI. Not to mention that I finally can see Xu Feng in "God of War" persona. When I watched that scene, I thought why they couldn't give us something like this from the beginning?

The change of Jin Mi and Xu Feng reconciliation timing is also good, even though I still felt that it is far too simple and too easy. I like the conversation flow in the novel better, because in that I feel Xu Feng finally get his time to "finish" his temper tantrum (a very justified temper tantrum in my opinion). But since the drama change gives them more time to be lovey dovey, fine, I will swallow my frustration.

I also like the addition of how Run Yu and Xu Feng brotherly relationship is more or less mended. This is consistent with how the brothers relationship depicted in the early episode. Perhaps from all the addition that the drama did, this is the one that I like the most. Run Yu gets his punishment (loneliness is pretty harsh punishment that cannot be compared with physical punishment) but in the end he should finally realize that he has done his brother a very terrible thing. And he was never alone or lacks of love from the beginning. Xu Feng was always there beside him despite his mother displeasure. It was Run Yu himself that chose to not see that and let himself be consumed by hate. He might not regret killing the Heavenly Empress and taking the throne but he surely regret that in doing that he literally (however indirectly) killed his own brother.

By the way, am I the only one who is annoyed because Xu Feng let go of his demon throne? I like him as Demon Lord and in the novel, he stays as one. In a way, it showcases Jin Mi love when she let go of everything and choose to stay with him in the Demon realm. It is like "home is where you are" kind of thing .....

• Like 8

It ended....

Frankly, the ending is still having XF x JM being together AND having a sweet boy together (the bonus was JM's dad). I am satisfied.

It could have been worse. Sometimes, it happens.

But what i cant accept is SH's end. It was inacceptable.

WTF ! Ending in the hands of creeps to be sexually abused ? Is how they see the good ending of a villain ?!

SH wasn't so bad, frankly, from her perspective, killing an enemy's loved one is not so atrocious (it's logical, JM is a hated rival). I wasn't shocked.

What shocked me is XF's moral judgement (i accepted it because i am biased toward XF, it's all). He could have been more accepting of her side. He is this kind of character but it didn't showed at all. The better ending should have been to just not to mention SH and letting everything to our imagination (her being imprisoned...).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Evangeline Yang said:

I watched the last episode.

There were many spoilers on weibo.

Good ending for the main leads I only said 5 min max. Many people scolding on weibo and tieba because of the ending. I think partly many are just so disappointed that in the end, other characters still get so much screen times. I was like wth... can go to main leads? They are so sad the past 20 over episodes.

Nevertheless, I think the novel and fanfics that people wrote will heal the pain.

I will miss the main leads, their interaction on the BTS was so cute.

I will miss the Yue Lao and the Snake God as they are really the push of the CP. The last time I chased a drama so hard and live in San Sheng San Shi. Haiz... Now, I am back to rewatch the first 20 episodes to heal my poor heart.

Hide contents

Btw, the princess has the most terrible ending. Many people got stunned and felt that even though she was bad. But is due to love that she did all she did but the ending really was terrible...

The english version of the novel. The only part they don't have is Hong Chen Jie.

I have the online version but is in Chinese.

Hope the novel can heal the unhappiness part of the ending...

Yeah, it is shocking how much screen time the side characters got. I prefer Chinese fantasy dramas as I love how creative, intense and angsty they are, but Koreans tend to be better at editing and story telling which often makes for a much more satisfying closure/ending. I think the industry in China is still relatively young and they seem to struggle when it comes to intellectual property/author rights which very often leads to delays, legal issues, scandals (which impact the quality of the drama). And a lot of producers have their own talent management studios or have ties with certain studios who push their actors. It is disgusting and is almost a form of nepotism. Yang Mi for instance refuses to act in dramas unless the actors she manages get roles hence we see the same old faces in every drama even if they can’t act. I wouldn’t be surprised if the actress who plays the demon princess has such connections. They really shoved her hard in our face without any reason as she was absolutely not important in the book and didn’t bring anything interesting to the drama. 

• Like 3

Not to worry guys, although it is the end of the epic journey that is HSALF, it is not the end for our two silly bestfriends YZ and DL. I am almost certain they're going to star in another drama together *fingers crossed* 

Look, DL is already training for their upcoming reunion. From all the behind the scenes, you can tell YZ doesn't hold back with DL lol. Like how JM asks XF for lingli and XF finds any excuse to give it to her, DL seeks the abuse YZ gives by teasing her constantly - a masochist perhaps? <_<

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4280647222887043 This interaction between YZ and DL, :wub: ( For those who can't google translate the page: DL posted 'I don’t know what to say for a long time.... 
But when I think of Xiangmi’s heart, there will be a lot of words..... I 
remember that when I finished the robbery, I wrote a paragraph of thought. The finale is not to say. ..... 
it is not altogether nonsense ..... 
I believe honey has put all I want to say ... to convey to you the 
good work, I'm really touched .... honey 
also like Xiangmi can give you a permanent memory....I 
can't bear it, it doesn't matter; I can't go back, it doesn't matter, we can start from the beginning.....The 
sweet honey is always, we will see you again.... #电视剧香蜜沈烬如霜#[heart]'

YZ replied ( in the same hour ): ' Just like what we said from the age of 18 to the present, how can two children think that there will be today's achievements, good friends will always support you, we will work hard together!'

DL replied ( also in the same hour ): ' Always cheer for you and cheer for good friends. In order to complete the sweet honey, take time to invite me to dinner :D

Good friends can always develop into good marital partners, don't you think? ;) Can't wait to see more of them ( together ) in the future! The ship has sailed! :P

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

Just finished the last episode and I can say, I am not fully satisfied with the end. Happy ending indeed but there wasn't interaction/romantic moments  between XF and JM, not even a last kiss!!! 

For Ran Yu it was sad to see him all alone and miserable but it was his punishment for his eager to have power and thing he can't get by force like the love of JM.

I will miss very much this beautiful drama and this wonderful lovely couple. I plan to rewatch it again to understand it more. 

Thank you all for your sharing and spoilers. I was so pleased to read all your posts. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Evangeline Yang said:

I think for a more happy ending... The novel is the best considered that the writer did write 3 parts extra scenes in the novel.

Yes, the drama doesn’t do justice to the fantastic book as it focuses on unnecessary characters and side stories. Thank god for the lead couple - they had so much chemistry and were perfect.

The reason why I loved TMPB is because it really focused on the lead couple and delved really deep into their relationship as a couple and their intimacy so It really touched me. I wish they would have at least spent more time together as it is hard to buy into their sacrifice/sufffering when they have barely been together romantically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evangeline Yang said:

Reveal hidden contents

Omg i felt the same way. yeah she did terrible and unforgiving things but for her to meet her demise like that is utterly... i cant even find the word to describe it. im a little disappointed actually.

28 minutes ago, xienrue said:

By the way, am I the only one who is annoyed because Xu Feng let go of his demon throne? I like him as Demon Lord and in the novel, he stays as one. In a way, it showcases Jin Mi love when she let go of everything and choose to stay with him in the Demon realm. It is like "home is where you are" kind of thing .....

It actually makes very much sense for drama Xu Feng to give up the throne considering he did the same in the mortal trial.  He didn't want the power after Saintess Jin Mi, his sole raison d'etre at that point

• Like 5

I'm a little disappointed that the final episode does not include the part of XF and JM before their son is born where she wanted to try another pill and XF got mad so to placate him she suggested "mutual cultivation." I thought that was so cute. 

I don't understand the director/editing team. They couldn't tell the chemistry between DL and YZ when they were putting together the show? and they couldn't predict that people would want to see the OTP over the rest of the cast? I understand the need to develop side characters but it is major facepalm that they completely minimized lovey dovey OTP time during the last episode. So many cute things happen in the novel in the last two chapters or so. 

That said, congratulations to the cast for their excellent job. Editing team totally failed with the ending though. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, tripplestep007 said:

I'm a little disappointed that the final episode does not include the part of XF and JM before their son is born where she wanted to try another pill and XF got mad so to placate him she suggested "mutual cultivation." I thought that was so cute. 

I don't understand the director/editing team. They couldn't tell the chemistry between DL and YZ when they were putting together the show? and they couldn't predict that people would want to see the OTP over the rest of the cast? I understand the need to develop side characters but it is major facepalm that they completely minimized lovey dovey OTP time during the last episode. So many cute things happen in the novel in the last two chapters or so. 

That said, congratulations to the cast for their excellent job. Editing team totally failed with the ending though. 

I even suspected they have 2 diff editing team. One did the first 25 episodes and another did the rest. Spoiled the drama.

But nonetheless, DL and YZ really brought out the best of XF and JM. I am rewatching the beginning part and dragged my hub to watch with me

• Like 5