[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

29 minutes ago, Carol Subtil said:

DramaFever will subbing martial universe, not our heavy sweetness :(
sometimes I hate dramaferver choices for Chinese historical dramas

it is bc Yang Yang is more popular than both leads for this drama. Maybe Viki will license it or some fans will sub it on youtube.

10 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

Well some xianxias have been made the issue is that not all of them are high quality xianxias or have been able to air this year. I fell in love with xianxias during Journey of Flower. I would say TMOPB and Journey of Flower are some of the best xianxias out there. I hope that this adaptation turns out as good. 

I consider those more wuxia than xianxias since those are more focused on the martial arts aspects over immortals, magic, demons, Gods, etcs. And Majesty's First Love doesnt count because it is set on modern times and it involves aliens, it is more like a fantasy romance. 

Sadly this year there haven't been too many xianxias. Top of my head only Destiny of White Snake and Beauties in the Closet, which felt a bit more like a palace drama. I don't know about Martial Universe or Legend of the Fire God since they haven't aired yet. Martial Universe looks like it will heavily focus on martial arts but not sure. For me, some dramas can have some fantasy elements without really being xianxias. Just like some dramas have wuxia elements but you don't really consider them a wuxia per se, e.g. Princess Agents. 

I see our perception on what’s wuxia is quite different. I don’t count those wuxia when the fighting is mostly CGI, one swipe and colour CGI make it feel powerful is just pure fantasy for me lol. Like that of Nicky wu’s series! Those are heavily fantasy rather than wuxia lol. I think Nicky Wu had a series the early part of 2018, no?  Mainly with fresh face, and his drama to me always low quality, in term of everything, I don’t think he’s a good producer like Ruby or FBB.

martial universe I would not count as wuxia lol, more gladiators style fantasy xianxia lol! Where again, magical weapons aid the hero in a gladiators ring? Like if we have magical weapons, it’s not wuxia any more. Wuxia is all about various different martial art kungfu sect fight one another where the kungfu is what put them on top, not a magic weapon or a magic stone/amulet! Nothing magical about the kungfu lol, it’s just whether you are gifted in understanding the book/method to perform it well plus the internal force.

and yes, I agree some drama has fantasy elements or wuxia elements, I would not really class beauty in the closet as xianxia either, it’s more palace intrigue, that’s why I didn’t mention it. Princess agent is again palace intrigue instead of being wuxia. 

Legend of the fire god (just recheck - wrong title, it’s the king of blaze, a bit confuse with this one, it seems to have both period setting and modern setting, but unlike his majesty’s first love, which is back and forth to explain the story, this seems to be a prequel and drama?

what do you class those legend of sword series then? Wuxia? Or xianxia? Since they are mostly dealt with magic, demon and evil, and fairy!

2 hours ago, sugarplum892 said:

For those who watched up to episode 9....

Hide contents

so is jing mi and feng huang actually half-siblings?  Since they share the same dad (the emperor)?

Spoiler

He seems to think so, that’s why he left Flower Realm looking dejected. However, I don’t think so. The Opening and ending credits showed JM marrying Run Yu. Probably JM is the Daughter of Water God (appeared in Ep. 1), already bethrothed to Run Yu by the Emperor. 

Don’t like the evil Empress, but it’s nice to see that actress again after so many years. She was quite a famous Hong Kong actress back in the days.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ElleSor said:

@visiopeia Dare I hope that the episodes you watched were subbed? I know that I should wait for the subbers to release the subbed epis and that subbing takes time but I am soooo looking forward to watching with subs. Praying so hard that subbers pick this up and release soon!!

@ElleSor nope, i watch RAW version therefore there is certain part i don't really understand what are they talking about.. hehe

3 hours ago, sugarplum892 said:

Hide contents

so is jing mi and feng huang actually half-siblings?  Since they share the same dad (the emperor)?

@sugarplum892 i suspect that the empress (Cathy Chow) betray the emperor..  Feng Huang is not the emperor's son.. 

i wonder whether will they release a better version (quality) or Full version? As the version i am watching does not have Opening Soundtrack and Closing Soundtrack.. it looks like TV version to me... Anyone able to let me know?

Edited by visiopeia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sugarplum892 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

No, they aren't. Jin Mi's dad is actually

Spoiler

the Water God, who we see in the first episode marrying another woman

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alila Nguyen said:

I see our perception on what’s wuxia is quite different. I don’t count those wuxia when the fighting is mostly CGI, one swipe and colour CGI make it feel powerful is just pure fantasy for me lol. Like that of Nicky wu’s series! Those are heavily fantasy rather than wuxia lol. I think Nicky Wu had a series the early part of 2018, no?  Mainly with fresh face, and his drama to me always low quality, in term of everything, I don’t think he’s a good producer like Ruby or FBB.

martial universe I would not count as wuxia lol, more gladiators style fantasy xianxia lol! Where again, magical weapons aid the hero in a gladiators ring? Like if we have magical weapons, it’s not wuxia any more. Wuxia is all about various different martial art kungfu sect fight one another where the kungfu is what put them on top, not a magic weapon or a magic stone/amulet! Nothing magical about the kungfu lol, it’s just whether you are gifted in understanding the book/method to perform it well plus the internal force.

and yes, I agree some drama has fantasy elements or wuxia elements, I would not really class beauty in the closet as xianxia either, it’s more palace intrigue, that’s why I didn’t mention it. Princess agent is again palace intrigue instead of being wuxia. 

Legend of the fire god (just recheck - wrong title, it’s the king of blaze, a bit confuse with this one, it seems to have both period setting and modern setting, but unlike his majesty’s first love, which is back and forth to explain the story, this seems to be a prequel and drama?

what do you class those legend of sword series then? Wuxia? Or xianxia? Since they are mostly dealt with magic, demon and evil, and fairy!

I dont know with the Nicky Wu dramas. They have more martial arts than fantasy but they do have all the sect stuff so probably more xianxia than wuxia or a mix. Hard to tell. Sword of Legends felt a bit more xianxia but also had a lot of fighting. For some reason when I think of xianxias I don't think of either of those dramas. I think more along the lines of Journey of Flower, TMOPB, Novoland Castle in the Sky, even if this last one is more fantasy and not really xianxia. But they all had that otherworldly feel to them of Gods, etc.  

Got hooked onto this series and went to read the entire novel + epilogue.

I wish people will start picking this drama to sub though. It's shaping to be a hit internationally.

Gotta say that I really adore Deng lun's portrayal of Feng huang and the novel version of feng huang is pretty much my favorite male xianxia lead now. If only the drama could come out at a faster rate.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, visiopeia said:

@ElleSor nope, i watch RAW version therefore there is certain part i don't really understand what are they talking about.. hehe

@sugarplum892 i suspect that the empress (Cathy Chow) betray the emperor..  Feng Huang is not the emperor's son.. 

i wonder whether will they release a better version (quality) or Full version? As the version i am watching does not have Opening Soundtrack and Closing Soundtrack.. it looks like TV version to me... Anyone able to let me know?

the one on youtube has an intro and ending 

I am loving the opening song

1 minute ago, paperwishes said:

Got hooked onto this series and went to read the entire novel + epilogue.

I wish people will start picking this drama to sub though. It's shaping to be a hit internationally.

Gotta say that I really adore Deng lun's portrayal of Feng huang and the novel version of feng huang is pretty much my favorite male xianxia lead now. If only the drama could come out at a faster rate.

I know he is not the usual really cold type. I think it is easier to see how he starts to like her in the drama than in the novel. 

• Like 2

@mrsyooknit I adore the opening song as well

Yeah, It's easier to relate to Feng huang in the drama than in the novel. Pu tao's obsessiveness over ling li is also being explained pretty well.

Although, I have no idea which part are they planning to introduce their mortal world's trial into. Hopefully it's after our Jing mi spit out her pill ~ ~

http://i63.-/in98c8.jpg

I just want to skip all the torture and go straight into happily ever after. Fenghuang was so badly emotionally scarred in the book and Im not sure if my heart could take it in the drama :tears:

Edited by paperwishes
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, paperwishes said:

@mrsyooknit I adore the opening song as well

Yeah, It's easier to relate to Feng huang in the drama than in the novel. Pu tao's obsessiveness over ling li is also being explained pretty well.

Although, I have no idea which part are they planning to introduce their mortal world's trial into. Hopefully it's after our Jing mi spit out her pill ~ ~

Hide contents

http://i63.-/in98c8.jpg

I just want to skip all the torture and go straight into happily ever after. Fenghuang was so badly emotionally scarred in the book and Im not sure if my heart could take it in the drama :tears:

So far the plot is moving pretty fast even with the small additions to the original plot. The good thing about getting two episodes per day is that the drama will finish airing in less than a month so it will go by really fast. 

I know :tears: I felt so bad for him, he totally did not deserve everything that happened to him. At least he got his happy ending. I think they are going to prolong his torture in the drama since I am guessing the wedding will take place around episode ~30 or so. I kind of hope the drama does give Night a little bit of karma bc the novel just let him off scotch free. 

6 hours ago, mrsyooknit said:

So far the plot is moving pretty fast even with the small additions to the original plot. The good thing about getting two episodes per day is that the drama will finish airing in less than a month so it will go by really fast. 

Hide contents

I know :tears: I felt so bad for him, he totally did not deserve everything that happened to him. At least he got his happy ending. I think they are going to prolong his torture in the drama since I am guessing the wedding will take place around episode ~30 or so. I kind of hope the drama does give Night a little bit of karma bc the novel just let him off scotch free. 

Love the pacing. TBH, my favorite part is when the angst starts as the Demon King.

Question for people who have read the novel: do you have any theories as to what the trailer footage of Jin Mi wearing a face veil is from? I've read the novel and these scenes are the only part of the trailer I can't place in the timeline.

It's an epilogue called 红尘劫. Not too sure which version of the book did it appeared but it's written by the same author.

JM didnt cultivate enough to be a water god so bei dou qi xing told them that she needed to go through a mortal trial. It's a sad and sweet epilogue. You can tell how much FH love her from it.

Edit: Book timeline wise it happened after the main plotline. After they got married as the demon lord / water god and before their child was born. Although I think TV wise there's rumours that they are squeezing it before JM kill FH. 

Edited by paperwishes
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, paperwishes said:
  Hide contents

It's an epilogue called 红尘劫. Not too sure which version of the book did it appeared but it's written by the same author.

JM didnt cultivate enough to be a water god so bei dou qi xing told them that she needed to go through a mortal trial. It's a sad and sweet epilogue. You can tell how much FH love her from it. 

Edit: Book timeline wise it happened after the main plotline. After they got married as the demon lord / water god and before their child was born. Although I think TV wise there's rumours that they are squeezing it before JM kill FH.  

Do you know where I can find an English translation of that epilogue?

2 hours ago, paperwishes said:

Any good deng lun drama to recommend ? Especially undubbed ones~ because his voice is really nice to listen to

YOu can watch "Because of You (因為遇見你)". I fall for him after watching this series ..

• Like 1