[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 minute ago, m0us3y said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Isn't the legitimate daughter called di, while the concubine daughters are Shu? Just getting a lil confused with the titles. 

Hide contents

Actually, in episode 37, I think she implied she would marry He Family. Regardless of whether the couz is barren. Because she felt that having no love between the husband and wife could mean less pain, less disappointment. And that she and drHe could have a respectful relationship, amiable and harmonious because she will not get jealous as there's no love. 

And that's why grandma was shocked that ML's heart is like an elm tree. Hard and cold. 

ML doesn't seem to see the need of love in her marriage. Just peace. And that's why when Rulan said if she one day finds someone she loves she should fight, and ML Response was she's not in the mood to fight. 

Marriage is about tolerance to her. As long as she can tolerate the lowest characteristic of her husband, and live her life with him...

She's so jaded at such young age....it's sad....:tears:

I just want ML to be happy pleaseeeee

Oh my bad that's true.. She was like she doesn't really give a damn, she will marry him.. So when xiotao was saying that if Rulan's news with wen goes out the He family might not marry her, so she now said, well they can do whatever, she is really not that interested in marriage.. 

And sadly, what she seeks from marriage is what GTY seeks, they just want tolerance, understanding, and respect,.... Love can go somewhere else, 

Until later when they realize that love is actually the bond that can make them go a long way together... If one of them was after love in marriage, they actually might have just been like normal couple who is in love, always forgiving to those that annoys them and might break up early. 

But they have the 3 things needed in marriage, peace, understanding, and respect but they sure can't do without the 4th which is love.. So I think their marriage life is just to show how how they unconsciously found the love that was missing between them. So excited to see their fall out and their comeback. Hahahha

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

@Suzzy Santhank you. Absolutely correct, GTY would have never passed in grandma's eyes either as Dr. He was her favored candidate for ML to marry and ML gets along with him.  Grandma's assessment of the situation, her grandaughters having been involved in scandals that she was now more protective of ML. Even when GTY jokingly asked Chang Bai if he GTY would be considered a good marriage partner for his sisters and he did not specify which, Chang Bai's immediate response was "No Way" and then Chang Bai proceeded to tell him about his family considering proposals already on the table for his sisters and that is how GTY learned about Dr. He. But CB's response alone told GTY the lay of the land and so if he was ever going to marry ML, he had to do some scheming. 

But before that, GTY had been flirting with ML already and had been implying his attraction and intentions for example when he was bandaging her foot before he went to fight the rebellion.  Grandma herself is a formidable opponent and GTY calculated that he did not want to be rejected on his first proposal and become another QH. I do feel sorry for Dr He though, he is such a softie

Yes I noticed that too, and in the scene at HL's house where GTY approached ML to explain his scheme, he also said that because of his previous behaviour and the way people saw him ML's grandmother would never agree. And even if ML's father wanted to agree with the marriage grandmother has too strong a character and would block the marriage. GTY is very aware of his image to the outside world. 

What I think is even more interesting is the fact that he schemed all of this while fighting the war. He explained to ML that he bought the freedom of the cousin of the He guy and had her family trafficked through his river trafficker friends to get them to the capital fast. That way the He family would be delayed in securing the wedding and he had time to fight the war without worrying about losing ML. Really this is genius beyond genius.

wow.you guys are great:wub:.just  this thread is moving like fire..i want to catch up so fast.

Just finished ep 36 with subs.TOTALLY LOVED IT. wow GTY totally slapped his stepmother and brother as they deserved:w00t: .just can`t wait for what will happened to them from now on.

also.is there any link where i can watch ep 40 and 41 the webrip version.not the TV version?

3 hours ago, frenchfan said:

I love the wedding part.  This is probably one of my favourite episode.  Grandma cared for her so much.  She gave a lot of dowry :) I am happy to see more of Hualan too.  The sctress who played this role is pretty.  The new Empress too.  

Did you all see the stepmom's face when the Empress gave GTY her jade hairpin?  Her jaw literally dropped in disbelief :joy::joy::joy:

I know right! I sat there grinning the entire scene. and the scene after that when they walk back with him laughing super loud and Molan almost lost it she had to cracked the nut with her hand scaring her mother in law hahahahaha epic scene

2 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

Uh ... did the Gu Family try to force a concubine onto Ming Lan on the very first day of her marriage??? That was faster than expected LOL

I’m not sure if the translation is right but someone on YouTube commented that it was one of the Gu wives who did something wrong and ML suggested a punishment. No concubine yet. If someone else can translate it and confirm since sometimes the translations on YouTube for these trailers aren’t correct. :D

7 minutes ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

Why did CB not join the wedding like CF, 6th Liang, and Hualan’s husband? CB was just hiding in the back and not sure what he said at all. 

That’s why I looked at that scene a few times and it didn’t look like CF to me so I thought the third guy who was standing in front of 6th Liang and Rulan’s Scholar was Hualan’s husband (the last one to speak before GTY rushed in).

Reaction of ML to GTY's confession of his manipulations to marry her was too good.At the start she is cross with him and sits sideways to avoid facing  him.As he narrates his schemes,her anger dissipates and she turns to face him hooked on to the narration of his plots. It takes a schemer to appreciate another albeit grudgingly.:lol:

It was so good to see her spirits lift up which had plummeted due to the actions of Dr.He.

I loved DaNiang in episode 38.She was hillarious.The actress has good comic timing.The actors portraying grandma,princess Pinyang and ShenHong were superb too.

The drama has an awesome supporting cast which makes viewing such a pleasure.

1 hour ago, Suzzy San said:

Wow I just noticed something again. I thouth the lines that said 'if we are not humans but cats or trees or bugs' in the trailer was said my minglan but Omg it was said by Rulan. In ep 39 when she was talking to minglan. Wow.. That line explains Rulan really, she is spoiled but honest and straightforward. I love her more. What I love about That line was how she said if humans were things or animals, then we can be carefree.. So awesome a line

Falling in love has made Rulan mature.The contrasting thoughts on ML and Rulan's  towards love was interesting.

ML being practical belived in moving forward.Practicality scores over sentimentality for her while Rulan is the opposite.

Would their thoughts remain the same till the end of the drama or it would change? I am curious about it.

4 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

What's wrong with the little brother of the Empress/Emperor. The dude standing there by the palace wheat field lol. What's up with his misery

If I remember correctly he was being forced to marry someone. I might be wrong but i think i heard that in the ep when GTY was heading back to the capital after fighting the war. he was talking to the emperor's son about how the emperor was arranging marriage for someone.

5 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

What's wrong with the little brother of the Empress/Emperor. The dude standing there by the palace wheat field lol. What's up with his misery

Gotta give credit to Rulan for saving her maid though! 

He was the uncle GTY and wmperor's son were talking about His wife had died in the rebellion saving the empress but he has been asked to remarry by the new emperor. He is unhappy about it.

I love Rulan for doing that.Wish QH could do the same earlier.

3 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

Regarding QH's matter, I think ML's dialogue after leaving Dr He's family when they were pitting the Cao cousin while telling ML to make ways for her, explains how QH's matter can be viewed, she said and I quote 

'

' I'm just mad, I'm getting mader the more I think about it

What? Just because I'm not as pitiful as her, I have to yeild? 

In this world, is it that whoever is more pitiful, he is more reasonable? '

That's one part that explains that no matter the situation, some people might be having it harder too but they are all just trying hard not to be the pitiful one while still holding onto their morals. So in this aspect, QH's pitiness is no reason for him to raised above GTY because, he is just as pitiful as QH.. 

Another dialogue after that explains how ML is now scared of promises, that when Grandma said Dr He still promised not to take Cao cousin as concubine, minglan said

'made a promise? Will that work? 

How many people can really fulfill their promises

As long as his mother begs him, Brother Hong(Dr. He) has a soft heart

He won't really watch as his mother dies from anger' 

So I think this also explains that GTY not promising her anything or telling her about his plans, was not the best thing, but it was what ML truly needed. So I think we shouldn't view GTY as the main lead then but as another prospective man wanting to marry a girl. As such, he just seem to understand the consequences better than her other suitor. And like grandma said 

'We'll go and look at other people' I.e look for other suitor for ML, and fortunately her other one became someone she has understood and share some of her feelings with even though she might have not loved him fully. 

But was Dr. He someone she loves, No, but if something has not happened, she would have married him. So I think in this Era understanding and respect and unity is the main goal of marriage for them.. Love is meant to come after marriage 

Very well commented. Such insights. Thank you.

Spoiler
47 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Oh my bad that's true.. She was like she doesn't really give a damn, she will marry him.. So when xiotao was saying that if Rulan's news with wen goes out the He family might not marry her, so she now said, well they can do whatever, she is really not that interested in marriage.. 

And sadly, what she seeks from marriage is what GTY seeks, they just want tolerance, understanding, and respect,.... Love can go somewhere else, 

Until later when they realize that love is actually the bond that can make them go a long way together... If one of them was after love in marriage, they actually might have just been like normal couple who is in love, always forgiving to those that annoys them and might break up early. 

But they have the 3 things needed in marriage, peace, understanding, and respect but they sure can't do without the 4th which is love.. So I think their marriage life is just to show how how they unconsciously found the love that was missing between them. So excited to see their fall out and their comeback. Hahahha

I felt she's already a realist to start with, and the experience with QH was not pleasant. That's why I mentioned earlier I think QH did more damage to ML than she's showing. 

But I feel GTY does love ML tho. The way he looks at her and all. 

So I'm guessing that's why the fall out. She's too guarded with her emotions. 

I do feel she admires him, respects him, and likes him a lot, but I'm not sure she loves him. Because she doesn't seem to allow it. Protecting herself from more hurt. 

Spoiler
12 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Falling in love has made Rulan mature.The contrasting thoughts on ML and Rulan's  towards love was interesting.

ML being practical belived in moving forward.Practicality scores over sentimentality for her while Rulan is the opposite.

Would their thoughts remain the same till the end of the drama or it would change? I am curious about it.

Pretty sure she will learn to love her husband..

She just need a lot of assurance I think. 

It was really sad when she told grandma she's happy, and she's afraid because he's too nice to her...that the happiness is something she's not fated to have....

So it will be how to soften her heart again so that she learns to love...I think...

All my speculation lol. 

1 hour ago, Suzzy San said:

I'm here to make some resolutions, I don't know how many will agree with me, I've been thinking... Even though truly ML is putting up some defense against her feelings of true love, but somehow she has unconsciously become cold at heart even though she still has compassion for humans. 

I will back this up with two dialouges. 

1.when grandma told her that they have decided not to marry but to adopt Cao cousin as a sister in He family, and grandma was like it's her fault that she is not getting a good match. ML said that He and her doesn't really love each other so she can't really cry for him and they only thing they have is compassion. And grandma was like at a young age how could you have a 'palm tree heart'. That is a cold heart and she said, that's not true. (ep 38)

2. Another one was with Rulan in ep 38 when minglan asked her that she can just forgets the wen scholar, Rulan asked her that if she was able to be with Yanrou after what happened won't she accept it, minglan says 'if I am able to have him, just forget it' judging by ML attitude, this might have been something she just said to not allow Rulan into her personal life too much, but her feelings then didn't even feel stiired by the thought of being with Yanrou. And after Rulan explains the feelings of love to her that the one one loves has to be the one we be with, ML replied with 'I don't understand, I believe we must keep looking forward in life'.. 

However, even though she has not really truly lived someone because the defense she puts against her will Ness is just too much, the high compassion she felt for QH made her she'd tears while returning his gift, those tears were the full closure on her feelings for anyone and also a confirmation to her fears that no one can be relied on.. 

I am so looking forward to how t both GTY and ML will break their defense, because as ML uses her blank face for her defense, GTY uses his laughter as his defense 

Spoiler

Your feelings are spot on. ML has never forgot her mother's last words "Try to survive.". During her life, she has remained a level-headed girl, never letting her emotions run wild. It doesn't mean she is cold-hearted, it's just staying alive is her first priority and romantic love is something too luxury and fragile to have or rely on. In the book, after they have their first son, GTY feels ML still hasn't really opened her heart to him and later ML makes a moving confession that she only truly loves herself and she has been selfish all along. They both cry and the barrier between them is finally lifted.

Archived