Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

@Pollen Ainne I watch a lot of manga live action adaptation, I still wouldn't touch Dragon Ball with 10 foot pole. Netflix Death Note should have just been called something else, it might have been passable.

The holding stone thing is so obvious!! It's like first thing you learn with Go, I can't ignore it!! also because everyone else holds it properly, it's jarring. I think they might have copied old games...? Or made modifications to them? The one emperor and zhiwei is playing have a base I think, I recall cnetizen talking about it but it flew over my head, now I can't find it anymore orz. The drama explains all the important Go games's purpose, albeit in a roundabout way sometimes.

The editor definitely might have miscutted the Go games, I have fair bit of gripes with this drama's editing at times.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tendrilsofwind said:

Also does anyone have a high quality picture of Ning Yi with his hair down, sprawled in the walkway (I guess in English it might be cloisters?) dressed all in white underclothes? The one where he is soaked in the light seeping through the carved window. I think it's one of the scenes where he is in a drug induced haze.

It's in episode 16, 8mins and 31secs into the show. But there is no perfect shot of it. The camera doesn't focus on Ning Yi and even when I paused it per second, there is no visually appealing frame at all. But below is him when he was talking to Ning Cheng afterwards.

5in9reA.jpg

And btw, he wasn't crazy at all during this time.

35 minutes ago, skibbies said:

@Pollen Ainne I watch a lot of manga live action adaptation, I still wouldn't touch Dragon Ball with 10 foot pole. Netflix Death Note should have just been called something else, it might have been passable.

The holding stone thing is so obvious!! It's like first thing you learn with Go, I can't ignore it!! also because everyone else holds it properly, it's jarring. I think they might have copied old games...? Or made modifications to them? The one emperor and zhiwei is playing have a base I think, I recall cnetizen talking about it but it flew over my head, now I can't find it anymore orz. The drama explains all the important Go games's purpose, albeit in a roundabout way sometimes.

The editor definitely might have miscutted the Go games, I have fair bit of gripes with this drama's editing at times.

They could have called it Death Note still, but in an alternate reality, with completely different characters and storyline. But oh well...

As for Go, if you mean the focused board shot, then definitely it has base. And presuming that Zhiwei played the way Ning Yi did, then it makes some sense in the context of the story. But the out of focus board shot made no sense to me whatsoever. The one where Ning Yi supposedly lost to Zhiwei was worse. That shot was taken before Ning Yi shook his head and admitted his loss. Like what? Are you giving up too early? The board is like almost empty... lol!

And I will not say more about Xin ZIyan's Go because he did really great in everything else. So I forgive him. lol!

Oh and btw, I saw this review on Youtube. 

I love this reviewer. :D She is so on point!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ep 45 was so sweet to see. NY and ZW's romance time before the storm. It was so cute to see them snuggle to each other and hold each other for warmth inside the cave :)!!!!! The character of Prince Helieng is entertaining, the character is nice to watch because it is nice to see a male character acting not so serious sometimes. This reminds me to mention that NY cries a lot in the drama, and also his assistant Ning Cheng too.....I feel like there is a lot of crying here for the lead male role or the male characters here, I am not complaining, but I feel like I don't see any other lead character cries as much as NY....he cries so beautiful too :). And the way he holds or pull Headmaster Xinyin's hand is something that I don't see in other drama. Their relationship is cute and funny. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, morganian said:

Why on earth do you want a photo of crazy Ning Yi? Lol. 

Because he looked absolutely gorgeous bathed in that swatch of sunlight? Kekeke. There should be an official photo of it somewhere. This was a beautiful shot, seriously. (But I should not be on Netflix at work lol oops.)

ny.png

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

27 minutes ago, sonosong said:

Because he looked absolutely gorgeous bathed in that swatch of sunlight? Kekeke. There should be an official photo of it somewhere. This was a beautiful shot, seriously. (But I should not be on Netflix at work lol oops.)

ny.png

lol! I felt like he looked like a religious symbol. lol! And his face isn't clear. I would have preferred it shot from a different angle. But now that I think about it, the dark corridor on the left does give and interesting contrast. I am always at Netflix at work. And on soompi. And on youtube. It's part of my job. lol!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Yeah, I'm still trying to search for a HQ photo of this scene. But it's not that easy. Also, so many great shots of Ning Yi on the internet that I'm getting distracted from work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sonosong said:

ny.png

Yes! This is the one. It's so gloriously composed. I thought it was one of those scenes after he was inadvertently poisoned by the eunuch, but I may be wrong. I searched everywhere and couldn't find a hd photo. They really should have used this for promotion. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Gaaaaaah! I was trying to video capture some romantic moments in the show but I got to ep 63 with her and the Da Yue prince and it makes me want to cry in frustration. All the things she said, I wish she said it all to Ning Yi instead. It was all for him after all. She was confessing to the wrong guy, and she has never even been this honest with her feelings in front of Ning Yi. Did she really mean to die to save Ning Yi when Shaoning tried to blow him up? I thought she had a better plan. Ning Yi needed to hear all that! It's really painful. But I still love this kind of pain... especially when compared to the last conversation she had with Ning Yi at episode 70...

• Like 2

@Pollen Ainne I remember watching that scene and being extremely uncomfortable because he wasn't Ning Yi. I was like, wth?! After Ep.45, I was dreaming up another intimate moment like this for them, but she ends up having to feel up on another man? Bah!

My takeaway from this scene is that I finally got to hear her true feelings said out loud. She wants to be with Ning Yi, wants to marry him, wants to hold him like this. There was so many layers to Zhiwei here. Yeah, I agree with you that it us knowing but Ning Yi not hearing the words himself was really painful to watch. But they understand each other so well. After the flood, wasn't she willing to leave with him? I think he knows her feelings already, but he doesn't want her to be with him at the expense of her own well being and happiness. I'm only on Ep. 29 with the fam. Have quite a while before we get to this scene. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, sonosong said:

@Pollen Ainne I remember watching that scene and being extremely uncomfortable because he wasn't Ning Yi. I was like, wth?! After Ep.45, I was dreaming up another intimate moment like this for them, but she ends up having to feel up on another man? Bah!

My takeaway from this scene is that I finally got to hear her true feelings said out loud. She wants to be with Ning Yi, wants to marry him, wants to hold him like this. There was so many layers to Zhiwei here. Yeah, I agree with you that it us knowing but Ning Yi not hearing the words himself was really painful to watch. But they understand each other so well. After the flood, wasn't she willing to leave with him? I think he knows her feelings already, but he doesn't want her to be with him at the expense of her own well being and happiness. I'm only on Ep. 29 with the fam. Have quite a while before we get to this scene. 

I know he knows she loves him. But I don't think he has gauged the depths of her feelings to this extent. If he had, he might have changed his mind about leaving her with Helian Zheng. He wanted Zhiwei to be happy but it seems to me she never will be happy unless she is with him. That scene makes it pretty obvious. The thing with Zhiwei is that she tries so hard to be strong. And thus, she is strong. She is always strong in front of Ning Yi even when she allowed her feelings to show. But that scene with Jin Siyu showed her real feelings underneath the strength that she always portray. Deep inside, she was just a girl who was desperately in love with Ning Yi. It was so sad. I hate Jin Siyu. Ima go and create a Jin Siyu doll and stab it. lol!

• Like 3

OMG OMG OMG ep 47 has some cute moments between NY and ZW!! He finally confessed to her!!!! I wish they could just marry, and have the drama end at ep 47!! And awww this love triangle between NY, ZW and Prince Helieng is so cute, sorry PH, ZW and NY belongs together!!! So, it looks like ZW is going to get involved with another guy, besides NY and PH!! Jin Siyu, I wonder if I will like seeing ZW with Jin Siyu????!!! Love love the sweet moments between NY and ZW!!! They are truly meant for each other, they understand each other's actions, feelings and minds so well. They can read each other and mirror one another's, they are truly soulmate, made for each other. 

On a side note, personal guard Ning Cheng is cute and handsome!! He loves his master so much!!!

• Like 2

On 11/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, Pollen Ainne said:

Oh and btw, I saw this review on Youtube. 

I love this reviewer. :D She is so on point!

Hehe, thanks for sharing @Pollen Ainne. That review summed things up well and made me laugh too.

It looks like a whole bunch of non-Mandarin-speaking Netflix viewers have been leaving positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes too, which is great. The audience score is now at 96% (as of yesterday). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, morganian said:

It looks like a whole bunch of non-Mandarin-speaking Netflix viewers have been leaving positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes too, which is great. The audience score is now at 96% (as of yesterday). 

Wow there are more reviewers already. I remember when I reviewed it there was very few reviews. And it also got a critic review which is positive. Problem is, I am not sure if the critic truly saw the series and understood it. I read his full review and I have huge doubts. lol

I was looking for the culprit why the score went down and this is the guy :D

kMZE4m8.jpg

I understand him. lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Question, ZW's real identity is that she is the lost princess from the previous dynasty, what dynasty was it again?? So, she and Feng Hao are not twins. So, why is ZW's mother have her sworn to not marry Prince of Chu??

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

Question, ZW's real identity is that she is the lost princess from the previous dynasty, what dynasty was it again?? So, she and Feng Hao are not twins. So, why is ZW's mother have her sworn to not marry Prince of Chu??

Zhiwei is the Princess of Dacheng Empire. It was the empire that was defeated by Ning Shizheng with the help of Chang Yuan, when he revolted against the Emperor of Dacheng. She is not the twin sister of Hao and Qui Mingying is not her true mother. The reason why Qui Mingying didn't want her to marry Ning Yi is because she is loyal to the Dacheng Empire and the Nings are their enemies. It had nothing to do with Ning Yi in particular. She wouldn't want Zhiwei to marry any of the Nings or Changs.

• Like 2

Is it going to be sadness from ep 50-ish on??!! :(....so sad for ZW and NY!!!! FH was just a kid, but towards the end of his death, he matured and saved his sister from death. S0, Mingying have twins, but her husband, Gu Heng took one and jump off a cliff with his twin, how sad!!!! ZW's funeral scene in the rain with NY and after she came out from volunteered herself to marry Prince Helieng, and she met NY's on the bridge, and the music played was just so nice!!! Their love is so bitter-sweet!!!!!! My heart is broken for them :(................

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Is it going to be sadness from ep 50-ish on??!! :(....so sad for ZW and NY!!!! Their love is so bitter-sweet!!!!!! My heart is broken for them :(................

It gets pretty brutal. There are some moments when FZW and NY work/scheme together like of old but for the most part the writers continue throwing obstacles between the two of them getting together as the series unfolds: the initial oath forced on by Qiu Míng Ying, the second oath by FZW, FZW’s involvement with HLZ, FZW or NY blaming each other for the deaths of loved ones or innocents, hurtful confessions, etc. 

There are also a few missed opportunities where the two of them just don’t commit. Minhai is the only time they are both on the same page when it comes to ‘double happiness’. So very cruel. As per Chen Kun’s interview, you really do feel like sending a razor blade in the mail to the writers (interview below). 

Aiyoooo. 

• Like 4

Thanks for all the info on GO. I know what to get my brother for the holiday, he enjoys deep strategy  games.

12 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Is it going to be sadness from ep 50-ish on??!! :(....so sad for ZW and NY!!!! FH was just a kid, but towards the end of his death, he matured and saved his sister from death. S0, Mingying have twins, but her husband, Gu Heng took one and jump off a cliff with his twin, how sad!!!! ZW's funeral scene in the rain with NY and after she came out from volunteered herself to marry Prince Helieng, and she met NY's on the bridge, and the music played was just so nice!!! Their love is so bitter-sweet!!!!!! My heart is broken for them :(................

So who is FW? Hao is the 9th prince and the bloody pagoda brother is 4th prince of Dacheng, she was switched at birth from who? Sorry for being thick.

Very sad to watch FW being manipulated by her older brother for the sake of " the reflection of the moon in the river" NY mother offered some sage advice. I loved her scene with GN. He was so innocent. 

Wow NingQi ,the simple brother from the boarder, really turned out to be surprisingly evil.

For a while I considered GuNanyi might actually be FW brother, same mole by their eye.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, whisper1 said:

So who is FW? Hao is the 9th prince and the bloody pagoda brother is 4th prince of Dacheng, she was switched at birth from who? Sorry for being thick.

Zhiwei is the Dacheng princess. Feng Hao is one of Qiu Ming Ying's sons, he's a cover for Zhiwei, and technically Zhiwei is a cover for 4th prince. Qiu Ming Ying had twin sons, Zhiwei was switched with one of them and, that one presumbly died 18 years ago on the cliff.

• Like 2