Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

I just made it to episode 33 and some questions:

Spoiler

1.The blood curse was not in the novel right? I read half of the novels and don't recall it at all.

2. NY's mother's childhood love, the Ambassador, he really committed suicide - or was he killed or not? It wasn't shown so I wasn't sure I missed it or they are using it for staging a scheme.

Halfway observation for me is the Emperor is kinda stealing the show with Gu Nanyi lol. Ni Ni is doing well as FZW and I love her ladies outfits (the red and light blue dress when she meets that dorky thug Prince and the mint/burnt orange one during the marriage proposal especially ---- so beautiful). CK's acting is a bit up and down depending on the scenes. I know he's a very intense actor and an awesome one but how to say, his intensity level really stands out when overall other performers are at another level. So there's a slight unsync and it comes across as overacting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stella77 said:

Hide contents

CK's acting is a bit up and down depending on the scenes. I know he's a very intense actor and an awesome one but how to say, his intensity level really stands out when overall other performers are at another level. So there's a slight unsync and it comes across as overacting. 

Actually, I always just took it that he was overacting on purpose. That Ning Yi himself (the character not the actor) was just acting overly dramatic. He basically pushed the limits to where people know he is lying and yet can't help but let him get away with it. It is very fun to watch. However, his character itself is also extremely emotional. He is not the boring cool-stoic-type. So sometimes people have to guess if he is being dramatic on purpose or just really being extremely emotional. It makes him so intriguing. :D

As for Zhanbi...

Spoiler

He committed suicide to protect Ning Yi as he completely believed Ning Sheng... ~sigh. He was so gullible. 

On 11/6/2018 at 6:01 AM, skibbies said:

Some of the trailer scenes never shows up or is edited heavily. There's a tiny bit of Zhiwei holding a sword against Ning Yi, but you don't see  her pulling the sword out. It appears in a flashback though, blink and you'll miss it.

Do you still remember what episode it was? I remember seeing it but for the life of me I can't remember where it was...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stella77 said:

Hide contents

1.The blood curse was not in the novel right? I read half of the novels and don't recall it at all.

Spoiler

The blood curse is in there, it's in Da Yue arc, between Zhiwei and Prince An. So, completely different context. They ported it over to Ning Yi and emperor as a plot armour to protect Ning Yi in the early days and add a layer of conflict to why emperor won't simply make Ning Yi crown prince after Ning Chuan/crown prince died, oh and I guess to indicate complicated relationship between Emperor and Yanfei.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, stella77 said:

Hide contents

2. NY's mother's childhood love, the Ambassador, he really committed suicide - or was he killed or not? It wasn't shown so I wasn't sure I missed it or they are using it for staging a scheme.

Halfway observation for me is the Emperor is kinda stealing the show with Gu Nanyi lol. Ni Ni is doing well as FZW and I love her ladies outfits (the red and light blue dress when she meets that dorky thug Prince and the mint/burnt orange one during the marriage proposal especially ---- so beautiful). CK's acting is a bit up and down depending on the scenes. I know he's a very intense actor and an awesome one but how to say, his intensity level really stands out when overall other performers are at another level. So there's a slight unsync and it comes across as overacting. 

Yes, Ning Yi's character is supposed to be overdramatic, so that people can never guess what his real intention is. 

The King is really dumb. Ning Qi is a peace of richard simmons for

Spoiler

killing

Shongning. I pity her, but she is so naive and just a child herself too. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your answers and insights everyone! I am in the 40’s episodes now and am surprise that 

Spoiler

FZW and NQ are being so openly affectionate with each other; I guess since it is out that she is a woman. Awww the cave scenes are sweet.

My comment (and personal opinion) are  more on the actors acting than the characters’ personality and actions. I realize the character of NQ is intentionally overacting. In

Spoiler

my overall assessment of the drama, I think scriptwriters, direction and delivery focused too much on this aspect throughout the series. That aside, CK’s is a great actor - just too strong and good and in can come across as overacting (not the scenes when he is intentionally doing so as NQ). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

Do you still remember what episode it was? I remember seeing it but for the life of me I can't remember where it was...

I remembered wrong, she actually pull out the sword at ep 24, 15.40~16.00, it's a Shaoning flashback with Zhiwei voiced over (that was already read in ep 22 but that had completely different imagery) so you don't hear what she's actually saying. I think I remember the next ep preview had her pointing the sword at him, maybe there's a later flashback too. Let's see. Found it! Ep 53 24.53, but it's literally just a flash.

Also I found Gu Yan saying bye to his wife and kids. It's the start of ep 23, so it's drama canon. I should really rewatched this drama. ahhh.

On Chen Kun's acting, I agree he's fairly intense but I think it fits pretty okay with people that have most scenes with him. Namely the emperor, Xin Ziyan and Zhiwei. He never felt like aggressively overpowering other actors to me? Maybe I've just got used to his acting? I've read comments that he overpowers Yuan Hong/Prince An, it didn't pull me out of the scene so I didn't really noticed?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, skibbies said:

I remembered wrong, she actually pull out the sword at ep 24, 15.40~16.00, it's a Shaoning flashback with Zhiwei voiced over (that was already read in ep 22 but that had completely different imagery) so you don't hear what she's actually saying. I think I remember the next ep preview had her pointing the sword at him, maybe there's a later flashback too. Let's see. Found it! Ep 53 24.53, but it's literally just a flash.

Also I found Gu Yan saying bye to his wife and kids. It's the start of ep 23, so it's drama canon. I should really rewatched this drama. ahhh.

On Chen Kun's acting, I agree he's fairly intense but I think it fits pretty okay with people that have most scenes with him. Namely the emperor, Xin Ziyan and Zhiwei. He never felt like aggressively overpowering other actors to me? Maybe I've just got used to his acting? I've read comments that he overpowers Yuan Hong/Prince An, it didn't pull me out of the scene so I didn't really noticed?

Thanks!

And this is the first time I have recognized Chen Kun. (I did see Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, though I didn't really know who he was or bothered checking.) And I never felt like he overpowered anyone. His acting was obviously different to others at times but it just kinda made sense to me. Like for example when he was being dramatic about being humiliated (during the poison-Zhanbi thing) and when he was complaining to the Emperor vehemently and implying Ning Sheng's involvement. The expression in Ning Sheng's face was like "Sht this drama queen." Everyone's reaction gives credence to the character he is portraying. 

Anyway, I tried meshing some clips together and placed some music on it. But for some reason, the quality isn't as great after upload... but I still wanna share...

• Like 5

Ep 63!!!! Finally, ZW and NY have a kiss :)!!!!!!! I'm on episode 65!!! I cannot believe I like the drama much more than I think I will, it is a really good drama that keeps me wanted to see more and more. The plot, acting and visual is amazing. Post later..................

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 11:13 PM, stella77 said:

I finally made it to episode 27 and am so happy the plot has picked up the pace and moved forward!! 

I promise you it only gets better form here! I’m rewatching for the 2nd time and having watched it once I appreciate ep 1-25 a lot more because there were all these tiny moments in the drama that I missed because the politics were boring to me. So much romance and adorability theta I rushed though because of the boring princes vs NY. Like in ep 24 when ZW is pushed at NY in the dark he has to SNIFF her to realise who she is so basically he knows her smell! Ughhhh swoooooon. Lots of other little moments like that too!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, skibbies said:

In regards to Chen Kuns acting- honestly I’m blown away! I respect anyone who is willing to be so raw and semantic and passionate. I mean he plays the idiot (earlier eps)  so well, all the whole being this incredibly intelligent man.he is intense but I feel the intensity adds massively to the character! And ZW more then keeps up with him in their scenes when they are together! I swear their flirtation/ raw sexual chemistry is everything! Such a shame that there are probably so many hours worth of film we don’t get to see!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

Thanks!

And this is the first time I have recognized Chen Kun. (I did see Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, though I didn't really know who he was or bothered checking.) And I never felt like he overpowered anyone. His acting was obviously different to others at times but it just kinda made sense to me. Like for example when he was being dramatic about being humiliated (during the poison-Zhanbi thing) and when he was complaining to the Emperor vehemently and implying Ning Sheng's involvement. The expression in Ning Sheng's face was like "Sht this drama queen." Everyone's reaction gives credence to the character he is portraying. 

Anyway, I tried meshing some clips together and placed some music on it. But for some reason, the quality isn't as great after upload... but I still wanna share...

Great video, thank you!

I don't know if you remember that I was not too much into it at the beginning.

Well, now I'm totally crazy about this drama, I don't even understand myself...

Now I'm re-watching it for the second time and I love it more than the first. 

I'm in awe over the terrific acting and at the moment I cannot watch anything else! ^___^

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I finished it!!!! Oh my heart :(!!! They are truly like Romeo and Juliet!! Question, when she played the flute song that they both know at the end, it simplify her farewell to NY..............right??? I know that with ZW's personality, she cannot lead and live a happy life with NY, knowing everything that happens. Poor Nanyi, he's going to be alone now~

NY is also going to be alone forever now too, like his father's said, an emperor is always alone as long as he sits on the throne. Overall, I am glad I watched this drama, even though there were so many sadness and heartache.

I saw Chen Kun in Mulan and Painted Skin, but I must say, his role as NY left a long lasting expression on me, because of how he portrays the character so well-----such a complicated and lovable character!!!

On a more sunshine note, Prince Ji is adorable :)!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mspilgrims said:

Great video, thank you!

I don't know if you remember that I was not too much into it at the beginning.

Well, now I'm totally crazy about this drama, I don't even understand myself...

Now I'm re-watching it for the second time and I love it more than the first. 

I'm in awe over the terrific acting and at the moment I cannot watch anything else! ^___^

Welcome to the club of craziness. I too am trying to watch something else but I still can't. I am glad you didn't give up on it then. I rarely like a drama that I have bad first impressions on so I didn't think you'd change your mind. But I am glad you gave the drama a chance. 

• Like 1

As there was no body shown for Zhiwei it can suggest that she is still alive and is paving the way for a season 2. Just my suggestions. I read somewhere that Zhiwei faked her death or something in the novel so I’m just going off that. Trying hard to be optimistic about the future of this show  as it is without a doubt the best period drama I’ve ever seen so far. It brings the best and the worst out of you and you just want to keep watching more of it

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, raifee said:

As there was no body shown for Zhiwei it can suggest that she is still alive and is paving the way for a season 2. Just my suggestions. I read somewhere that Zhiwei faked her death or something in the novel so I’m just going off that. Trying hard to be optimistic about the future of this show  as it is without a doubt the best period drama I’ve ever seen so far. It brings the best and the worst out of you and you just want to keep watching more of it

That would be awesome if there is a 2nd season :)!!! Yeah, a heroine usually survive her falls, so hopefully we can see a season 2, where  NY and ZW have a happy ending. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raifee said:

3 hours ago, rosierosie said:

That would be awesome if there is a 2nd season :)!!! Yeah, a heroine usually survive her falls, so hopefully we can see a season 2, where  NY and ZW have a happy ending. 

I wish a happy ending for them too. But Zhiwei vowed her soul to eternal damnation if she married Ning Yi in this lifetime. So maybe another lifetime?

• Like 1

I have a question: in ep. 63 Prince of An of Dayue wants to marry ZW. Is it a political move or did he really fall for her? After she loses her memory, he seems affected by her. What do you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mspilgrims said:

I have a question: in ep. 63 Prince of An of Dayue wants to marry ZW. Is it a political move or did he really fall for her? After she loses her memory, he seems affected by her. What do you think?

I wouldn't say love. But I think he desired her. I am not quite sure of the implications of marrying a Tiansheng princess who is already married to the King of Jinshi, so it might not be the best political move, especially for someone aiming to be King. I didn't really see his marriage to Zhiwei as anything that would help his plans. I can only see it that he desired her. I mean lying to her and saying they were married might have been a maneuver but marrying her for real was something else. Guess Zhiwei's affections for Ning Yi that she declared incorrectly to Jin Siyu affected him. He wanted that strong love directed at himself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

I wish a happy ending for them too. But Zhiwei vowed her soul to eternal damnation if she married Ning Yi in this lifetime. So maybe another lifetime?

Ning Yi yes. Not Liulang lol. Who knows 

• Like 1

At the end, she calls out to Liuland, so to me, that is a more endearment name she use to call him. To me, it means she remembers him as he were when they first met. When they were young, childish and they were just ZW and Liuland, not ZW and the emperor. 

At the end, why did Prince Helieng sacrifice himself to save ZW? The big bald guy is ZW's brother?? But, why is ZW seems more important than him?? And who was the Huofeng girl that killed Prince Helieng at the end?? Somehow I dont understand why the big bald guy (ZW"s brother Zhang) works with Prince Qi, at the slave market, and trying to sabotage Prince Yi??? 

• Like 1