[Drama 2017] Forest of Secrets / Stranger 비밀의숲 - Baeksang 2018 Daesang Award /Best Actor / Best Writer

larus

It’s a concrete jungle of intrigue in new Forest of Secrets poster

by Buhdoop

ForestofSecretsPoster-1.jpg

Forest of Secrets is bucking the vertical-sideways trend we’ve seen recently, and going for a more traditional layout for its first poster. tvN’s upcoming weekend mystery Forest of Secrets is a labyrinth of a story where an emotionless prosecutor, Jo Seung-woo (God’s Gift–14 Days), and a passionate police detective, Bae Doo-na (Tunnel), work together to solve a series of murder cases involving deep-seated corruption in the prosecutor’s office.

The poster starts with structured and orderly skyscrapers in Jo Seung-woo’s head, perhaps alluding to the cold, logical way he sees the world. But then things start to get murky as the image moves into the depths of the city, as it merges with Bae Doo-na, and opens onto the chaotic crime scene in the last trailer, and finally onto the seedy underbelly of the city and the corrupt people who run it, featuring a stoic Yoo Jae-myung (Strong Woman Do Bong-soon) and Lee Kyung-young (D-Day) fielding aggressive reporters.

More

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/its-a-concrete-jungle-of-intrigue-in-new-forest-of-secrets-poster/

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am intrigued with this drama... I will keep on following it...I see some familiar chingus here... hope it will be more motivation for me to follow through till the end for this drama...

"Everyone is a suspect" , Forest of Secrets

2017052614100484893-540x373.jpg

2017052614101113935-540x650.jpg

The poster of Forest of Secrets" that was unveiled on the 25th, attracts attention in that it is overwhelmed by the atmosphere of the force even if we look at photographs. Group posters that reflect the plan's intentions, as well as five character posters that can capture the character's tendencies at a glance.(Google translate)

http://tenasia.hankyung.com/archives/1218295

BTS pictures

tvN’s New Drama “Stranger” Reveals Charismatic Group And Individual Character Posters

Stranger.jpg

tvN’s new Saturday-Sunday drama “Stranger” (also known as “Forest of Secrets”) has released its first individual and group posters.

The photo shoot for the posters was held long after filming for the drama had ended, but the cast members chatted, joked around, and danced to the music playing in the background as if they had never parted ways. Cho Seung Woo, Bae Doona, Yoo Jae Myung, Lee Joon Hyuk, and Shin Hye Sun were the perfect ensemble, falling right into character as soon as the cameras were turned on.

more https://www.soompi.com/2017/05/26/tvns-new-drama-stranger-reveals-charismatic-group-individual-character-posters/

May 30, 2017

TV show 'Stranger' deals with prosecutor corruption in minute detail

SEOUL, May 30 (Yonhap) -- In recent years, there has been a flood of TV shows and movies that deal with corruption by prosecutors, such as "The King," "Inside Men" and "Defendant."

And now tvN, albeit better known for its hit fantasy-romance and time-slip dramas, is throwing out its attempt at the legal thriller genre, with a plot inspired by real life prosecutor graft scandals via "Stranger."

"I've appeared in works with similar subject matters, such as 'Inside Men,' this new drama is totally different," Cho Seung-woo, lead star of "Stranger," said Tuesday at a press conference held at the Imperial Palace Hotel in southern Seoul.

Bae Doona and Cho Seung-woo, stars of tvN's upcoming TV series "Stranger" pose for the camera at a press conference on May 30, 2017, at the Imperial Palace Hotel in southern Seoul. (Yonhap)

Bae Doona and Cho Seung-woo, stars of tvN's upcoming TV series "Stranger" pose for the camera at a press conference on May 30, 2017, at the Imperial Palace Hotel in southern Seoul. (Yonhap)

Cho, who's probably now more famous for his work in hit musicals, returns to TV for the first time in three years. He plays the cold-hearted loner prosecutor Hwang Si-mok, who joins forces with a female detective in uncovering a murder case that's related to prosecutor corruption.

"Dare I say this is probably the first ever work that penetrates and expresses irregularities that may occur within prosecutor circles with such minute detail," said Cho.

Cho suggested that "Stranger" is no ordinary work, a must-view TV program in respect to how it reflects the problems of society today with a level of unprecedented realism.

"It is a work that is needed in this day and age. While these works may strike the viewers as near-documentaries, I hope one day they are received as fictional fantasy works."

Co-star Bae Doona returns to South Korean television for the first time in seven years. Recently, Bae had focused her career mostly in movies, appearing in last year's "Tunnel" and "Jupiter Ascending" in 2015 directed by the Wachowskis.

"I wanted to return to television. I'm so glad to be working with a great cast," said Bae, who plays Detective Han Yeo-jin in "Stranger."

Bae appeared in the 2015 Netflix series "Sense 8" as a fighter character. The actress said her then-experience helped her much when filming action scenes.

"I received seven to eight months of training to film 'Sense 8.' Perhaps my body remembers the training, but I've become better in pulling off action scenes. The stuff I learned from Hollywood helps out a lot."

She also hinted that the plot is filled with twists and turns, saying that she had no idea who the culprit was until filming episode 14.

"Stranger" premieres June 10 on tvN.

Bae Doona, star of tvN's upcoming TV series "Stranger," speaks to reporters at a press conference on May 30, 2017, at the Imperial Palace Hotel in southern Seoul. (Yonhap)

Bae Doona, star of tvN's upcoming TV series "Stranger," speaks to reporters at a press conference on May 30, 2017, at the Imperial Palace Hotel in southern Seoul. (Yonhap)

odissy@yna.co.kr

Jo Seung-woo and Bae Doo-na search for truth in the Forest of Secrets

by tipsymocha

forestofsecrets-poster1.jpg

I wasn’t sure of my interest level in tvN’s upcoming Forest of Secrets until they cast Jo Seung-woo (God’s Gift—14 Days) and Bae Doo-na (Tunnel), and then I knew I would have to check it out despite feeling a bit of legal-thriller fatigue these days. The main cast is featured in the group poster above, looking sharp and accompanied by a tagline that reads, “An orchestrated truth, everyone is a suspect with a motive.”

The upcoming pre-produced drama pairs Jo Seung-woo’s emotionless prosecutor character in an alliance with Bae Doo-na’s warm-hearted detective. Together, they’ll investigate the murder of an influential figure known to sponsor prosecutors, and fight back against the seedy underbelly of the prosecutors’ office looking to cover it up. The writer and director of Forest of Secrets recently explained that the title of the show was a reference to the prosecutors’ office, which is a place not easily accessible to outsiders. They described this drama as a journey the two leads make through the lies to discover the “forest’s” innermost secrets.

Read more

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/jo-seung-woo-and-bae-doo-na-search-for-truth-in-the-forest-of-secrets/

Bae Doona Reveals How “Sense8” Role Helped With Her New Upcoming Drama

Bae-Doona-XPN.jpg

Bae Doona opened up about her newest role in upcoming tvN drama “Forest of Secrets” (working title) during a press conference held on May 30.

“Forest of Secrets” explores how cold, emotionless prosecutor Hwang Shi Mok (played by Cho Seung Woo) and righteous, warm-hearted detective Han Yeo Jin (Bae Doona) team up in order to hunt down the hidden truth behind a murder case.

During the press conference, Bae Doona shared how her role as a kickboxer in Netflix-produced drama “Sense8” helped her new role.

She said she had a lot of fighting scenes given her role, and explained, “I think my body remembers [how to move] since I received training for around seven to eight months. It’s easier to utilize my body than before. There aren’t many action scenes in this drama, but I believe it was easier when I had to chase down and fight while catching a suspect.”

More https://www.soompi.com/2017/05/30/bae-doona-reveals-sense8-role-helped-new-upcoming-drama/

May 31, 2017

‘Stranger’ deals with corruption within justice system

Bae Doo-na (left) and Cho Seung-woo pose for a photo prior to a press conference in Seoul on Monday. (CJ E&M)

With President Moon Jae-in stepping up efforts to reform the prosecution, new drama series “Stranger,” with its take on corruption in the powerful organization, could not look more relevant right now.

Ahn Gil-ho, director of the tvN drama, however, said “Stranger‘ seeks to touch upon the universal value of justice.”

“Many people said it would be tough to do a drama on the prosecution. The message we are trying to convey is that of justice, which I think everyone can relate to. The power of the story and the acting will sufficiently explain what we are trying to say,” he said during a press conference at Imperial Palace Hotel in southern Seoul.

The star power behind the project is formidable; Bae Doo-na will take a break from a series of English-speaking roles -- including ”Cloud Atlas,“ ”Jupiter Ascending“ and Senses8 -- to act in her native tongue. 

Cho Seung-woo, who played a prosecutor trying to get to the bottom of a corruption scandal in the 2015 hit “Inside Men,” stars opposite Bae. 

“It will be completely different from ‘Inside Men.’ The drama depicts in detail what goes on inside the prosecutors’ office and the corruption,” said Cho. 

Cast of the new tvN drama “Stranger” during a a press conference in Seoul on Monday. (CJ E&M)

Director Ahn said casting two of the hottest actors in Korea was a challenge in itself, which he said paid off in the shooting.

“I wanted an actor with experience and expertise to play the roles, and having Cho play it was such a pleasant experience,” he said. “In the case of Bae, she has already become such a star that it was intriguing just to work with her.”

Bae welcomed the differences that acting in K-dramas provides.

“There is such quick feedback (from viewers), so I think I was able to show myself as I am,” she said. 

In the show, Bae plays a police officer Han Yeo-jin who is all heart and passion. This contrasts drastically with the heartless prosecutor Hwang Si-mok played by Cho. 

Si-mok’s world is turned upside down when he attempts to take on a convoluted serial murder; nearly everyone around him has a motive to be a killer, and he finds himself lost in a whirlwind of greed, corruption and personal vendetta against him.

Firmly grounded in reality, ”Stranger“ deviates from the cable channel’s better known repertoire of light-hearted fantasy romance pieces. But the officials expressed hopes that the drama will turn things around at tvN which recently suffered a streak of commercial flops like ”Tomorrow With You” and “Chicago Typewriter.” 

The poster for the new tvN drama “Stranger.” (CJ E&M)

Cho said that the new drama will bring both fun and meaning. 

“Political messages aside, viewers will both enjoy this drama and be furious at the same time after watching it. I believe they will also feel catharsis,” he said. “I hope someday people would watch these (corruption dramas) and think ‘Yeah, right. Like that’s ever going to happen,’ instead of ‘That’s so similar to the reality’.”

”Stranger,“ starring Cho, Bae, Lee Joon-hyuk, Shin Hye-sun and Yoo Jae-myung, is on tvN at 9 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. The first of the 16 episodes will air on June 10. 

By Yoon Min-sik (minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

I am getting a very strong urge to watch this drama. One reason is definitely because of JSW (I've missed him since GG-14D), another is the premise/setting sounds very intriguing. But why does JSW look so different from before? Is it merely because of the styling? Am I the only one feeling so?

Forest of Secrets: Teaser’s Pros and Cons

a1a23.png?w=676

Well, this drama is starting off with a huge, beautifully shot, intense teaser that has me itching to solve whatever mystery  Jo Seung Woo & Bae Doo Na are investigating.  It is almost time to start another great weekend TvN drama and Forest of Secrets looks like it will be full of intrigue and gritty politicking.  Just what I like in my suspense dramas.

SYNOPSIS: A brain surgery during childhood caused prosecutor Hwang Shi Mok to lack emotion, even though he is rational. Cold and lonely, he’s one of the only prosecutors not involved in corruption. He then meets Police Lieutenant Han Yeo Jin at a murder crime scene and they work together to eradicate corruption at the prosecutor’s office and solve a serial murder case.

Read more https://dramaswithasideofkimchi.wordpress.com/2017/05/22/forest-of-secrets-teasers-pros-and-cons/

I was afraid that all the build up might lead to inevitable high expectations that could lead to disappointment. But after watching this preview, I think SF has the right elements to pull it off and live up to tVN's "mid 2017's most anticipated" billing. The diverse and experienced cast and their respective elements coming together as a whole give off a well-rounded feel already, and best of all I see none of the "2 main leads are gods so we don't need the support cast" syndrome in this. :tongue:

18812098_293322197784271_742307200150745

Ah, the inevitable relational diagram that every kDrama gets. I'm honored to be the one to put it up for this epic drama, Secret Forest, Forest of Secrets, Stranger, or whatever we might call it by the time it's in the history books! :ph34r:B):rolleyes:

Archived