[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

3 minutes ago, selenette said:

@Jloves  Thanks for those precious pics! I love them! Oh, so apparently it's for Kim So Hyun's new drama, then. The costume is for Joseon era, if I'm not mistaken, while Kim Sun was a Goryeo lady.

your welcome chingu :) I love sageuk dramas but I'm not familiar w/ the costumes based on the era :sweatingbullets: but I did some research just now & the costume she's wearing is for Joseon era since the drama she's doing will fall in 1700's :phew:

so perhaps her part in Goblin was already done right? or maybe they shoot it inside so there's no fancam? :sweatingbullets:

• Like 6

I'm fully convinced that there is a loophole somewhere in the theory of either Shin dying or Eun Tak dying. Something hasnt been told to us perhaps.

Samshin Halmoni's argument that if Eun Tak doesnt pull the sword she loses her exstence for living and will die does not make sense. In fact, once Eun Tak pulls the sword, there would be no reason for her existence anymore since she has fulfilled her duty. In my opinion she is more likely to be safe not pulling the sword, since the potentiality of her pulling the sword, and therefore the reason for her existence, remains. 

Maybe it is a test of how much they love each other, whether they would be willing to lay their lives down for each other. If they are they pass the test and are allowed to be together? 

I think shin asked the most important question of what it means to return to dust. And what is returning to dust. Him? The sword? His memories? 

Can't wait for the new eps!

• Like 21

5 hours ago, ucylucy said:

@hallee It's a word play that gets lost in translation if you don't watch it with Viki subtitle. In that scene, Eun Tak gets mad at Kim Shin because she thought he was going to ask her about her "first kiss" but he said the "first snow" instead. He ends up needling her when she ask him not to say anything that involves the letters "ch" in Korean ("first" starts with "ch").

This is the translation from Viki.

Eun Tak: Don't talk about anything that involves the letters "ch" (the first letters of the Korean words for "first kiss" and "first snow')

Kim Shin: Hey, you got that first question wrong. ("first question" also starts with "ch")

Eun Tak: Don't do that!

Kim Shin: Aren't you hungry? ("hungry" also starts with "ch")

Eun Tak: Don do that!

Kim Shin: Why do we hear so much traffic noise when you are trying to study? ("traffic noise" also starts with "ch")

Kim Shin: Is the bed comfortable enough? ("bed" starts with "ch")

Eun Tak glares at Kim Shin while he smirks at her. End scene.

So it's just Kim Shin being his usual petty self because Eun Tak shot him down at discussing their first snow/kiss. Or just Kim Shin needling her to get her attention in his usual way. 

Reveal hidden contents

I highly recommend that you watch Goblin with Viki subtitle if possible. Goblin uses a lot of word play that gets lost in translation with VIU and Dramafever subtitles. You miss the subtle and deeper meaning behind their conversations.

Thank you so much for your very detailed explanation of the above-mentioned episode 7 scenario between KS and ET....i am totally clueless with regards to korean alphabet that is why i am confused about the word play that KES uses in Goblin...i've been wanting to subscribe to Viki but i have no idea how to; since i think Viki could not be access in my country...anyways much appreciated for your efforts....Many Thanks!

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

Hey there @Sarang21

7:29 am here. I’ve 10 minutes to post this before getting ready for work.  This will be roughly written (so don't mind my grammar mistakes) but I don’t want to leave you hanging or worrying about this question of yours.  

I’m tagging also @autumna because she also raised this point but I didn’t have time to respond back then. Sorry, Autumna, my fault.

I agree with you on the scrolls, @Sarang21.  And if I was doing the scoreboards (@phikyl) this is definitely going on Team Sunny-is-Queen section. I also must note that the Reaper himself keeps a lot of scrolls in his room. Did you notice that? If the Reaper is the reincarnated King, then these scrolls are a sign. 

However, here’s my caveat: The existence of the scrolls does NOT prove the ownership of the scrolls. This is now the boring lawyer in me writing. hahaha.

We are not shown explicitly where the scrolls were found, and who really owned those scrolls. Of course, we can make a reasonable guess that they belonged to the king. But given the propensity of the writer/director to obfuscate or to conceal details (like the ceramic bowls) I have to hold *my* judgment until something more concrete comes up. Of course, others don't have to follow me and they are free to believe what they want to believe. We're all adults here. :)

But look, what if the scrolls were kept in the Royal Library as part of the archives? 

Or, more importantly, what if the scrolls belonged to this old man whom Shin briefly exchanged "speaking" glances with, in Episode 1. This man made Shin stop in his tracks and alter his course. Who was he? Was he related to Shin and the Queen? If he was, it was possible that he had scrolls with her portrait on it, too. Or he had scrolls belonging to Shin himself? Who knows what when we aren't given the backstory.   

See that? I have reasonable doubt.

That’s why I insist on the backstory. Unless I know more of the background story, nothing as of Episode 8, proves CONCLUSIVELY -- to me -- that the king regretted putting his queen to death.   Of course, this can all change in Episode 9….or 10 or 11, 12…. The writer can show us then the king pounding earth and wailing at the queen's grave or something. 

As I said, I’m willing to play the waiting game with this writer because I think she’s worth it. :)

First ... the close family members died .... -> Kim Sun (Kim Shins Sister) ... My guess is the parents weren't no more

Second ... the relatives died ... wife, in-laws, aunts, uncles, cousins ... weren't that many, also due to KS never been married (I filtered that out)

Third .... servants and slaves of the household ... My guess is the man he locked eyes with, is the "Grandfather" servant, that cried over the sword and that he was sick, bla bla

• Like 12

5 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

If using VIKI subs , there's an explanation about the wordplay the writer is imposing in the dialogues (similar to the wordplay between 5,000 won and 'confess' , Park Bo Gum and 'Sword')

첫 means first , and i think the words "aren't ( when he asked aren't you hungry) ",  "noise" and " bed"  sound similar to "first" which is related to their first kiss 

*feel free for the korean speakers to correct but that was what I understand from the viki explanations *  cute1 onion head 

Thank you so much for your explanation and clarification...i undertand the sword and park bo gum word play of the writer KES before since i knew from previous episode the korean word for sword...but then the above-mentioned scene of KS and ET confused me a little bit...i'd like to subscsribe to viki as well but i think it could not be access in my country...anyways thanks so much again for your effort.

• Like 8

Quite sad because it is the same in Chinese history. 

If you are condemned as a traitor, your whole family (including relatives) and in this case, even the slaves of the family will all be put to death. 

So we see the cutting down of all these people in front of General Kim Shin until he was himself stabbed through the heart with his own sword (given by the king, no less). Now, who would not be holding a grudge or plead for justice to be done? 

• Like 18

5 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

If using VIKI subs , there's an explanation about the wordplay the writer is imposing in the dialogues (similar to the wordplay between 5,000 won and 'confess' , Park Bo Gum and 'Sword')

첫 means first , and i think the words "aren't ( when he asked aren't you hungry) ",  "noise" and " bed"  sound similar to "first" which is related to their first kiss 

*feel free for the korean speakers to correct but that was what I understand from the viki explanations *  cute1 onion head 

this explanation makes more sense chingu..kamsahamnida :lol:

@Chellsee thank you dear, I'll have beautiful dream tonite. Ahjusii, please come to my dream, jjaebal :wub:

• Like 5

Wow..the speculation about Deok Hwa is quite daebak. 

I have heard the folk tale about the red string of fate ever since I was a child. 

One story featuring the red string of fate involves a young boy. Walking home one night, a young boy sees an old man (Yue Xia Lao) standing beneath the moonlight. The man explains to the boy that he is attached to his destined wife by a red thread. Yue Xia Lao shows the boy the young girl who is destined to be his wife. Being young and having no interest in having a wife, the young boy picks up a rock and throws it at the girl, running away. Many years later, when the boy has grown into a young man, his parents arrange a wedding for him. On the night of his wedding, his wife waits for him in their bedroom, with the traditional veil covering her face. Raising it, the man is delighted to find that his wife is one of the great beauties of his village. However, she wears an adornment on her eyebrow. He asks her why she wears it and she responds that when she was a young girl, a boy threw a rock at her that struck her, leaving a scar on her eyebrow. She self-consciously wears the adornment to cover it up. The woman is, in fact, the same young girl connected to the man by the red thread shown to him by Yue Xia Lao back in his childhood, showing that they were connected by the red string of fate.

3WoNIn.jpg

mo5aph.jpg

I also paid a visit here at a temple in Hong Kong. Check out the red threads!

• Like 20

So...I can't read Chinese characters but they look similar to me. 

x0j1f3.png

The one above is from Dokkaebi's journal. 
tfMpE1.png

Dokkaebi was talking (during this scene) about immortality being punishment and wanted to end his suffering. 
QGDHgO.png

What Eun Tak copied and showed Deok Hwa. 

So...if it is true that what was written was about ending his (Dokkaebi's) suffering, how did Deok Hwa start reciting the wish (love confession) which Dokkaebi made at the end of Ep 8? 

*scratches head* 

PS. Whoever wrote out the chinese characters have nice penmanship ! 

• Like 23

2 hours ago, selenette said:

@Jloves  Thanks for those precious pics! I love them! Oh, so apparently it's for Kim So-hyun's new drama, then. The costume is for Joseon era, if I'm not mistaken, while Kim Sun was a Goryeo lady.

@selenette @Jloves yes, KSH is now starting to film Ruler Master of the mask, i am also at that thread for a long time, they just started filming right after Christmas. she will be presenting awards at MBC Award. which means KSH's part in Goblin should be done thus far, whatever back history related to Sunny has been completely filmed. fancam taken in front of MBC building, not under TvN. MBC is the station airing Ruler drama.

• Like 6

Omg... all these speculations about DH.

But I do admit that DH is special. He is somehow able to catch things very fast. As if he can read thoughts...

Like how the hell can he just suddenly casually slip in the idea that maybe GR is KS's younger sister? Like... it can't be just for fun. I'm sure he said it for a reason.

In all seriousness, his ability to read the confession in ep 8 even before KS said it and also to hide the actual message that was in ET's journal which was copied from KS is seriously freaky. Is it mere coincidence? (I seriously doubt it...) 

Also, if he is just a normal human being, there is just too much coincidences happening.

If he really is another supernatural being then that will seriously be...

DAEBAK.

• Like 17