[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

21 minutes ago, marinated_lemon said:

I love your theory, @bebebisous33!

Curse bound by land and HY's origin is a genial idea, actually! If that is the case, i really hope they managed to actually explain to us audience rather than keeping us guessing.

About YSA's mom lived quite a lot of years after YSA was born...I wonder if there is a possibility that the mother we saw was a step mom, while her real mom is the one whose tomb was in ep.6?

@marinated_lemon@bebebisous33  That would fall in line with the mahnwa that there was a switch, that the girl who was supposed to be sacrificed was rich, and the girl who was sacrificed was poor.  But  not sure how marrying the king falls into play here.  Why would the girl who only went back to protect her blind father, not want to rejoin the gods?  I think as in the myth perhaps she sells herself as a slave to get the money to save her father, and is earth bound like it or not. Maybe the rich girl married the king.  Anyway, we will find out for sure.  

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

@marinated_lemon@bebebisous33  That would fall in line with the mahnwa that there was a switch, that the girl who was supposed to be sacrificed was rich, and the girl who was sacrificed was poor.  But  not sure how marrying the king falls into play here.  Why would the girl who only went back to protect her blind father, not want to rejoin the gods?  I think as in the myth perhaps she sells herself as a slave to get the money to save her father, and is earth bound like it or not. Maybe the rich girl married the king.  Anyway, we will find out for sure.  

@marinated_lemon @dramu51ch0c10ve Thanks for the compliments.:wub: I like developing theories, when things are so mysterious. I hope, that my theory is correct. 

@maddymappo Thanks for reminding me of the manhwa. Your question is indeed important. However, we heard from Ha Baek in the episode 3 that he met a girl Shim who was a spoiled brat. His words to SYJ indicates that he had seen the true personality of Shim. And the description of the girl who wanted to see her blind father doesn't match with the portrait of Shim. We have two possibilities:

- The gods were deceived in the first place. The poor girl was sent to the Realm of the gods in the first place but when she came back to the human world, the rich girl wanted to take her place, hence they lied to the gods again by saying that the poor girl had snatched her rightful place and too scared to be discovered, she decided to leave the gods. Once in the human world, she had married a king. However, Ha Baek didn't want to have a Shim as bride as he noticed her true personality.

- OR my first theory. Maybe Ha Baek fell in love with the Shim girl, until she betrayed him and left him behind. When he met her in the human world, he realised her deception and her true nature hence he started seeing the humans as inferior and worthless.

By the way, when So Ah jumped from the bridge for the first time (14 years ago = 2003), the fight between MR and BR took place 13 years ago. So his disappearance could be related to the god stones. Since then, DJ was never seen again... and their fight happened on So Ah's land. So maybe the father wanted to find a way to stop the curse by finding a god who would be willing to help him and his family Hoo Ye. Moreover DJ noticed that something was strange. So there could have been another person there, Hoo Ye but MR and BR didn't notice him.   

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Now, I am wondering if the journey of Ha Baek is not related to undo the punishment and curse on So Ah. Only a powerful god could change it. Moreover, if my theory is correct, he needs to discover what happened in the past: the treachery of the Shim family aso. Then in my opinion, this is where Hoo Ye comes: Maybe HY thinks that the Shin family is the one who is living under the curse, unaware that this punishment was passed on to another family. Hence he was adopted by them and tries to protect them as much as possible, although he doesn't like Shin YJ. Yet, when he met YSA, he felt attracted to her, unaware that he has finally found the right person who needs protection. If my theory is correct, then this means that HY and HB could work together later. First, they will view each other as enemy. 

i also thought about that, the way she explained about the "kings" here. MR also questioning the reason for the stones to be here. and SA repeatedly asking what they have done to deserve this punishment. his recallection of how it became and how it seems that he didnt like this. and at the end, his remorse. 

and i also agree about the father and the orphans. 

about the land i think it may be possible but

1. it is said that it isnt possible to sell, and SA trying to sell it, encountered  a truck.

2. if she wasnt the real servant why was she hearing voices after refusing to help him.

3. although HB asked JY if she was a shim, he still continued to follow SA regardless of her last name. and doesnt question it.

4. the curse he is under now can make him sympathize with SA and help dissolve the promise. 

then again why it is possible

1. the water image didnt look like SA at all

2. they could be in some way related. we learned that HY is from an orphanage. 

but i think the land itself is a gateway and was given to the servant  to keep it safe. and i think the servant is by blood. since there is a specific fate to befall on all of the descendant offspring. they will die and only have one child. so to me it is more about DNA.

and i do think that there is fate between HB and SA she somehow made him loose his coordinates and hit her instead of going through the gate. 

but i also think there is fate between HY and SA as HY said he always have opportunity to see her.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

@marinated_lemon @dramu51ch0c10ve Thanks for the compliments.:wub: I like developing theories, when things are so mysterious. I hope, that my theory is correct. 

@maddymappo Thanks for reminding me of the manhwa. Your question is indeed important. However, we heard from Ha Baek in the episode 3 that he met a girl Shim who was a spoiled brat. His words to SYJ indicates that he had seen the true personality of Shim. And the description of the girl who wanted to see her blind father doesn't match with the portrait of Shim. We have two possibilities:

- The gods were deceived in the first place. The poor girl was sent to the Realm of the gods in the first place but when she came back to the human world, the rich girl wanted to take her place, hence they lied to the gods again by saying that the poor girl had snatched her rightful place and too scared to be discovered, she decided to leave the gods. Once in the human world, she had married a king. However, Ha Baek didn't want to have a Shim as bride as he noticed her true personality.

- OR my first theory. Maybe Ha Baek fell in love with the Shim girl, until she betrayed him and left him behind. When he met her in the human world, he realised her deception and her true nature hence he started seeing the humans as inferior and worthless.

By the way, when So Ah jumped from the bridge for the first time (14 years ago = 2003), the fight between MR and BR took place 13 years ago. So his disappearance could be related to the god stones. Since then, DJ was never seen again... and their fight happened on So Ah's land. So maybe the father wanted to find a way to stop the curse by finding a god who would be willing to help him and his family Hoo Ye. Moreover DJ noticed that something was strange. So there could have been another person there, Hoo Ye but MR and BR didn't notice him.   

@bebebisous33  I think it was the poor girl who was sacrificed the first time and saved by the gods. She was the one who went back to save the blind father. So how did it come to pass that she did not go back and the gods say she married a king to pursue a greedy mortal life.? It doesn't sound like the same person.   I am interested in seeing what happened when and how HB met the Shin girl in the story. As you suggest as one theory, could she have been the original sacrifice who runs off with the king? Could be.  Or, could be that after the poor girl's family was punished, was the rich girl sent to the gods as being more worthy?

There is some magic going on in that place where Soha lost the diamond ring, and HB lost his co-ordinates, and the stones were lost.  HY does seem like some kind of inter-world less god. He loves farming, so appears to correspond with the land theory - who is attached to the land, like surfs.   Does he seek to be king of the universe? Is that why he wants to learn about people getting people to like him and doing good?

Actually I am beginning to suspect that the Shin family has something to do with the poor girl not going back to the gods.  That it was related to the jealousy of the rich man's daughter that the poor girl had been saved and loved by HB

On 19/07/2017 at 7:36 AM, kaoriharang said:

So my guess is that when that truck hit SA she vanished and was transported to where that private residence of HY is? So it means that HY is maybe not a major god but a minor one? Maybe something about SA's land is also special towards the stones?

i didnt think that she transported to HY but to the water realm, but now you said to HY it seems possible. and actually i hoped that she acquired some powers of her own somehow, but i guess its not possible.

i remember HB looking at some stone on the land as SA came with her car there, and he got distracted by her mentioning she is the owner.

On 19/07/2017 at 7:36 AM, kaoriharang said:

does that mean his memories are completely erased.

i dont think completely but probably the human part, since he doesnt recollect her , and claim to be single. but he does remember the punishment and BR previous trick. and their life together.   

On 19/07/2017 at 5:29 AM, amisyka77 said:

2. I suspect it's in SoAh's pen. Is it just coincidence that during the time Habaek was searching the park for it, SoAh took out her pen and scrolled out her Vanuatu map from it?  As i remember, the coordinate was in form of a scroll too. 

actually , for her to take it out after such detailed conversation about it. is a huge clue, well usually, that it is probably in the pen. also she held it as a shield when she was hit, so it is very possible that they are inside somehow.

@athena22 ha ha so funny. i would learn from him

On 7/18/2017 at 7:05 PM, amisyka77 said:

It's explained in the drama if you watched closely. It's very clear and simple. Habaek somehow knew his power will only materialised if SOAh is in eminent danger. So he wanted to confirm and prove his theory. That's why he tricked SoAh to gave him the key and he drove it. yes, it is quite irresponsible for him to play with Soah's life like that but he thought it was a good chance at that moment to check on it. And of course, SoAh felt angry and pissed off when she knew the truth and HAbaek himself didn't feel great either thus he apologised before he did it and then afterwards at the dinner.

@amisyka77, @lovely_skham and @maddymappo, I know that he was testing, but at the same time he was willing to risk her life with no proof anything would work.....stupid, in my opinion.  I personally think his power may be wrapped up in her tears or blood that he comes in contact with.  

I'm hoping in the next episodes that we're given more details

Reading comments on the theories of how and why SoAh's ancestor became a god's servant makes my head spinning...lol..

I would like to know the real identity of that fisherman and his son/ daughter (i thought that kid was more like a girl). During that scene, the kid had an eye to eye contact with Habaek before Habaek walked away. I'm curious at the exact timing of this event. Is it before or after his r/ship with the supposedly human girl that the gods had saved and brought to live on the water country?

The fisherman had done something that rendered as a sin and got punished to become a servant. What was the sin? If he was the father of a girl who tricked the God, i doubt it because he was not quite old looking. The girl was supposed to live quite sometime on the water country and the father could be a very old man ( Pls refer to the tale of Shim Chung). Can we be dealing with a two different stories here? Because I have difficulty in matching Habaek's memory and Habaek's story that he told SoAh during that lunch.

Back to the fisherman guy. He was ( after the encounter with Habaek's mom) being taken down to the water by Biryeom in front of his kid and I assumed he was dead then. So, the servant duty shift to the kid? I wonder who will this kid grow into? Would he/she become a significant player in this story later on?

Biryeom action of killing the fisherman means he was meddling with the water country's business and this had severed his r/ship with Habaek ( even though he mentioned about habaek doing nothing to him). It seemed that Biryeom has always trying to get under Habaek's skin but Habaek was always being Habaek and dismissed him which made BiRyeom angrier. It is quite interesting to analyse their r/ship. Anyway, I can sense that Biryeom somehow is quite scared of him even when Habaek in the state of powerless. It is undeniable that Habaek has this emperor-ish kind of aura that make other gods respect him. 

Done ep 5 and 6 with sub and I feel giddy. I'm not a deep observant but I do smell upcoming kiss. This time will be from SoAh to HaBaek.-_- I'm quite sure it will be SoAh who initiated their next kiss.

Why?

The scene when they're having noodle after HaBaek failed to caught that Greedy God. SoAh found out HaBaek should kiss the greedy god back in order to reversed the "curse". So he won't feel edacious (thanks to @nonski for this new word) anymore.

And SoAh teased him by puckering her lips. Showed him how to kiss. While me giddy thinking about when SoAh realized that logic about returning back the "power" back. Means, in order to give HaBaek his power back, SoAh should kiss HaBaek. Lol.

Don't mind me. It just my delulu thought. Because I know the fact HaBaek has already lost his power before the kiss on ep 1 happened. It just, when SoAh genuinely believe HaBaek is a god and willing to kiss him to give him back his power, means SoAh trust him. And as long as I know, whenever SoAh believed on HaBaek, he will get his power back. All this time, the trust just appeared when she truly need help from him. In a dangerous situation. I wonder what situation will be when SoAh decided to kiss HaBaek.

I wonder what's the relationship between JD and HY? JD is a god of earth, and HY likes to spend time taking care of trees and other green things. But I don't think they're the same people, since HY's name is literally descendant from god. Also, is it significant that it's Mura's stone that was lost from the 3?

Also, didn't the minor god that caused hunger say to HB something along the lines of forgetting something? Plus Mura mentioning about suffering "again" because of a human woman, and HB's anger towards the woman that left the water country... I feel like a memory wipe is in place. 

I don't think Shim Chung is the girl who was sacrificed and then "betrayed" HB --Soah was just thinking how similar the story sounds to a Korean folk tale that every child knows. Probably the manhwa storyline will play a bigger role for the back story.

I feel like the previews give us more information than the actual episodes themselves, but I'm happy with my fangirl moments :flushed: Can't wait for the next ep.

6 hours ago, nevill said:

i didnt think that she transported to HY but to the water realm, but now you said to HY it seems possible. and actually i hoped that she acquired some powers of her own somehow, but i guess its not possible.

i remember HB looking at some stone on the land as SA came with her car there, and he got distracted by her mentioning she is the owner.

i dont think completely but probably the human part, since he doesnt recollect her , and claim to be single. but he does remember the punishment and BR previous trick. and their life together.   

Hmm because in the previews we can see that SA is wearing the same clothes when she got 'hit' by the truck, so somehow or not she ended up there. Since we had that scene there must be some reason why that scene was added in?

6 hours ago, maddymappo said:

@bebebisous33  I think it was the poor girl who was sacrificed the first time and saved by the gods. She was the one who went back to save the blind father. So how did it come to pass that she did not go back and the gods say she married a king to pursue a greedy mortal life.? It doesn't sound like the same person.   I am interested in seeing what happened when and how HB met the Shin girl in the story. As you suggest as one theory, could she have been the original sacrifice who runs off with the king? Could be.  Or, could be that after the poor girl's family was punished, was the rich girl sent to the gods as being more worthy?

There is some magic going on in that place where Soha lost the diamond ring, and HB lost his co-ordinates, and the stones were lost.  HY does seem like some kind of inter-world less god. He loves farming, so appears to correspond with the land theory - who is attached to the land, like surfs.   Does he seek to be king of the universe? Is that why he wants to learn about people getting people to like him and doing good?

Actually I am beginning to suspect that the Shin family has something to do with the poor girl not going back to the gods.  That it was related to the jealousy of the rich man's daughter that the poor girl had been saved and loved by HB

Does the Shim girl and the poor girl have a connection? Does the poor girl have any relations to the family that is suppose to serve the gods? I know that they are suppose to sacrifice a girl but I think HB said that in the case of the Shim girl. It was an accident that she fell (so could be the poor girl) and she lived a good life, so if thats the case the the original line of servants is somewhere else?

Hmmm, but does HY really have that much powers to cause HB to lose his powers? If so he seems more powerful than I am suspecting him for, at least at this stage since I cant figure him out yet.

1 hour ago, Visually-wandering said:

Done ep 5 and 6 with sub and I feel giddy. I'm not a deep observant but I do smell upcoming kiss. This time will be from SoAh to HaBaek.-_- I'm quite sure it will be SoAh who initiated their next kiss.

Why?

The scene when they're having noodle after HaBaek failed to caught that Greedy God. SoAh found out HaBaek should kiss the greedy god back in order to reversed the "curse". So he won't feel edacious (thanks to @nonski for this new word) anymore.

And SoAh teased him by puckering her lips. Showed him how to kiss. While me giddy thinking about when SoAh realized that logic about returning back the "power" back. Means, in order to give HaBaek his power back, SoAh should kiss HaBaek. Lol.

Don't mind me. It just my delulu thought. Because I know the fact HaBaek has already lost his power before the kiss on ep 1 happened. It just, when SoAh genuinely believe HaBaek is a god and willing to kiss him to give him back his power, means SoAh trust him. And as long as I know, whenever SoAh believed on HaBaek, he will get his power back. All this time, the trust just appeared when she truly need help from him. In a dangerous situation. I wonder what situation will be when SoAh decided to kiss HaBaek.

I feel it too at least around the scene (the preview) where SA is wearing a pink jacket and saying something about celebrating HB's early farewell party. I think it would be around somehow that scene that maybe? maybe we will get something. But as for is it going to be from HB or SA that I dont know yet!

Funny guy:tongue:

He's the Water Country King -to-be and Realm of Gods Emperor -to-be.

Even Moora and Biryeom are scared of him.

But this mere mortal named Yoon SoAh has no qualms in defying him and making fun of him.

That's why I love SoAh and her crazy and spunky attitude so much.

"Aaaahhh...do you have to kiss him again?"

"Pfffttttt...!!!"

"Send them to Water Ghost"

"WHATTT?!!!"

( Looking at the selfies, he smiled, didn't he?)

My head hurts a lot after reading all your theories about the servant, habaek, hoo ye and shin family. When I thought that this theory could be the answer, then another theory pop up and it also makes sense. This drama is just too good in keeping the mystery and when they give out an answer, it just lead to another questions, a harder one at that. I love that the show is unpredictable, it is hard for you to see the answer. Even if you think you have the answer, but you still are unsure of it. I have read that the director had said during an interview that the drama is way unpredictable. he said lately kdrama had been predictable, viewers can know what happen next, so he wants this drama to be unpredictable. And he had done it so right. 

I also always sense an underlying tone of sarcasm and satire with this show. For me, this show is not just a story about the water god and his bride and the god stones, it has more than that. But, of course, i would prefer the romance more.

Archived