[Drama 2017] Tunnel 터널

larus

The burning question I have after watching Ep. 2 is

Spoiler

Would the Hwaseong murderer be a time traveller himself? :wink:

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that a story like that has been considered. It would be a novel approach to the perpetual mystery of those murders and why they remain unsolved over the decades and the killer at large.

There was a similar going on in a Babylon 5 episode concerning the murderer behind the Whitechapel killings.

My other burning question would be

Spoiler

Did PKH managed to get himself back to 1986 eventually and make the necessary preparations for himself to be in 2016?

If so, I am rather looking forward to how they resolve and execute a possible time loop scenario

It occurs to me that quite a lot has happened and changed in the last 30 years. In 1986 I was in my teens but we did have PCs and Macs at home and at school (to a limited extent). As for phones I seem to recall that we also used push button sets. But the technology has certainly advanced rapidly since then with mobile phones, colour monitors, widescreens and smart cards. Heh. Loved the scene of PGH trying to hop on a bus without a smart card and placing his hand on the scanner. The digital natives of today take all these things for granted.

The soundtrack is somewhat reminiscent of US cop shows  that I grew up with ... in the 70s and 80s. So the nostalgia factor is strong for me in that regard.

One of the things I really enjoyed about Episode 2 is that fish-out-of-water scenario that PGH has found himself in. He's an old school cop and it's nice that he acts and sounds like one. His cynicism with modern policing methods is both amusing and refreshing. CJH suits the role to a T just as YHM is the perfect fit  as KSJ. I already like their interactions and how that brings out their varying approaches to crime solving. The show does a great job of sharply defining their characters organically as they go about their business. I'm guessing that KSJ is the son of the fourth or sixth woman who was killed and the soldier that used to hang around their offices It's silly of me to be watching the show in three languages but yeah... unfortunately that's what I had to do :wink: So it's likely that I have my facts all screwed up.

The female lead is definitely an odd fish. Aside from the inscrutable, dispassionate demeanour, there is something else going on under that short hair style. After that episode, my suspicions regarding her interviews have led me to wonder if she isn't practising some kind of suggestive hypnosis on her subjects. 

Overall... I like the setup and the premise. Clearly both episodes were hinting at some rather complex intertwining of multiple storylines in the offing. One can only hope at this stage that the execution is just as good as its promise.

I've always liked how OCN alternates between action-oriented and more cerebral type crime shows. After the frenetically paced Voice, it's a nice change of pace to have a more whodunnit type of plot.

It's great to see CJH back in Kdramaland... I really liked him in Pride and Prejudice. I desperately want YHM's character to remain a good guy all throughout. It would be a nice change from the good-bad guys he's been playing.  It also occurred to me that both CJH and YHM were both in dramas with Jang Hyuk  previously as second male leads.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fifth victim who disappeared 30 years ago appeared!
Will Jin Hyuk catch the killer?

Every Sa/S night OCN broadcasting

Who said Sun Jae was prickly!  He has such a bright smile… 

Handsome, cool Kwang Ho is good to watch but so is cutie Kwang Ho

Spoiler

Charisma Jae Yi is actually the cutie youngster in the shooting

On 27/03/2017 at 10:35 AM, Auntie Mame said:

I would have thought that the first person the detective would try to find, in the future, would be his wife. Even though his house had been demolished, he could have used his police access to find her.

I had the same thought but then how would we react if we were in his shoes. 

He did try to go back to his house but it had disappeared in the 30 years.

I think he's afraid to find if his wife might have moved on in the years. They weren't married since much long... 

And on top of that he doesn't consider 2016 to be his time and wants to go back to 1986 his time /his world. 

1 hour ago, wildaffairs said:

Hahahaha cute Kwang Ho :lol:

This is too funny!!

:lol: It was funny. One character is outdated with all this technology so I am glad they did not lose the opportunity to to this. They are taking time to show more the human aspects, how characters are bonding, their interection and not only the mystery the procedurals.

I can`t wait to watch the next episodes. I am waiting for subtitles.

@booha Thank you the explanation...I guess we will have to wait and see whether she is the daughter or not :)

@40somethingahjumma Regarding the murderer I see one of two scenarios: 1) he can time travel (which would be, as you already explained, would be a novel approach to answering why he was never caught  2) he survived the 30 years without being caught, however something has triggered him into action again. Someone had mentioned in an earlier post that the murderer was chasing 2016 PKH and the 5th body was finally disposed of and found. I still feel there is a link between the 1986 PKH and 2016 PKH. I guess we will have to wait and see :ph34r:

@wildaffairs :lol::lol::lol: That was awesome!! I had been complaining in my earlier post how he was adapting too well...glad they are showing him finally coming to terms with 2016.

20 hours ago, coffeeboy said:

I had the same thought but then how would we react if we were in his shoes. 

He did try to go back to his house but it had disappeared in the 30 years.

I think he's afraid to find if his wife might have moved on in the years. They weren't married since much long... 

And on top of that he doesn't consider 2016 to be his time and wants to go back to 1986 his time /his world. 

@coffeeboy  I'm hoping that the killer didn't kill her after she had given birth..

2 minutes ago, MiAmour said:

but.. anything could happen, since they showed her feet stop moving after struggling..

so she could be endup dead :smirk:

@MiAmour Another reason I thought of this is beause when she was calling out for him and he ran right paseed her made me think she could be dead she sees him but himnot her.. Another tunnel.. 

Also during the period of these killings isn't that about the time where Gap Dong was on the loose..?

8 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@coffeeboy  I'm hoping that the killer didn't kill her after she had given birth..

The thought that the fifth victim is Gwang Ho`s wife came through my mind but I praying is not true. I believe the killer killed her in the future and it will be heartbraking for Gwang Ho to discover this information. But if he killed her in 2017, then Jae Yi could not be her daughter unless she gave her for adoption. If the victim is the daughter, is equally heartbreaking. I really hope the victim has nothing to do with him. We`ll find out more informations in the next episode. But why the killer went in the future and then return in the past to do the murders? Is was intentional? It is a mystery here.

Archived