[Drama 2017] Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People 역적: 백성을 훔친 도적

Go Seung Ji

Awww, I enjoyed the finale. I enjoyed all of it. I'm glad I started watching this. Yay, Rebel!

- Nok Soo. Dignified and gorgeous until her last moment. She was just cool as hell. You definitely can't say that she did not stand by her choices.

- Oh, poor tragic crazy king. He was terrible and deserved to die. Loved seeing him doing the "crab dance" during the final credits, though. Hurray to the actor. You were great at being a terrible person.

- Teacher Song. Another terrible person died a pathetic death. At least he finally realized that he's terrible and useless and did the world a favor by killing himself. Hurray.

- Lady Jo. Oh, you never learned anything. Spitting venom until her last dying breath.

- Soo Hak. Oh, poor stupid boy until the end.

- We never find out what happened to the eunuch Ja Won. Well, I guess no one cares.

Well, I guess that's it. All the bad people died and the good people lived and the GG couple had cute babies and lived happily ever after.

One last superhero fist-punch right through the fourth wall. HAHAHA. It was cheesy but awww, they're so cute. I almost expected them to start flying through the air.

They got rid of the tyrant king, but there are still about 400 more years of feudal slavery and oppression of women, only ended when the Japanese invade and take over, and then a civil war where the country is split into two... but hey, why ruin the good mood?

And Mori joins the Hong gang. Is he Hong Mori now?

We can use another Hong Gil Dong right now. Please send him to the U.S. to depose a stupid crazy ruler who tries to tame people with fear... oh sorry, started mixing fiction with reality. (It's a coping mechanism.)

Ok Ran + Mori sitting in a tree.

Loved all the cast and crew rocking out to the awesome music on this show.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Awww, I enjoyed the finale. I enjoyed all of it. I'm glad I started watching this. Yay, Rebel!

- Nok Soo. Dignified and gorgeous until her last moment. She was just cool as hell. You definitely can't say that she did not stand by her choices.

- Oh, poor tragic crazy king. He was terrible and deserved to die. Loved seeing him doing the "crab dance" during the final credits, though. Hurray to the actor. You were great at being a terrible person.

- Teacher Song. Another terrible person died a pathetic death. At least he finally realized that he's terrible and useless and did the world a favor by killing himself. Hurray.

- Lady Jo. Oh, you never learned anything. Spitting venom until her last dying breath.

- Soo Hak. Oh, poor stupid boy until the end.

Well, I guess that's it. All the good people lived and the GG couple had cute babies and lived happily ever after.

One last superhero fist-punch right through the fourth wall. HAHAHA. It was cheesy but awww, they're so cute. I almost expected them to start flying through the air.

They got rid of the tyrant king, but there are still about 400 more years of feudal slavery and oppression of women... but hey, why ruin the good mood?

And Mori joins the Hong gang. Is he Hong Mori now?

Ok Ran + Mori sitting in a tree.

Loved all the cast and crew rocking out to the awesome music on this show.

@chickfactor Thanks for the headsup, I can go ahead and watch now. I was procrastinating thinking HG died in the end like in the original..

Congrats to the entire staff and crew.  Rebel was such a pleasure to watch.  It wasn't a perfect series and I'm not really sure if it needed to be 30 episodes long but as a whole it was good show to watch.  I thought the finale felt slower than most episodes.  The last scene was super cheesy.  Loved the ending credits though with the staff and crew in various costumes singing and dancing to the theme song.

Honey Lee was such a revelation for me and even the actor that played the king.  Nok Su was very dignified in her final moments.  I don't think she loved the king but she was loyal to him and her choices.  She had no regrets and owned up to them.  

Overall it was a happy ending for all.  I'm so happy that Mori finally saw the light and accepted the Hongs and found a family in them. It was kinda cute when Mori was trying to avoid watching GD and GR being sweet to each other.  Ok Ran didn't find her real brother but she found a brother in Mori.  Teacher Song was finally gone, Lady Jo and her son also got what was owed to them.  Ga Ryung and Gil Dong started a family.  But was the sub wrong? They kept teasing GD during his match with Mori that he used up his energy in trying for a third baby.  Where was the second child? I only saw GR carrying one child.

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: Episode 29

by dramallama

Rebel29-00147.jpg

A powerful final battle looms in the penultimate episode of our hero’s epic, and it’s time for everyone to pick sides. Gil-dong politically maneuvers his enemies and allies, forcing everyone to choose between a manic ruler or the rebellious people. And with the rumor of the king’s defeat resonating in the villages and the palace, it seems that the rebels may stand a chance at becoming the true pulse of the nation.

EPISODE 29 RECAP

We see a montage of the previous episode’s epic battle and hear the passionate cries of the people who won their fight against the king. After their victory, the wounded rebels return to Hyangjumok, and Gil-hyun comes with a special guest for Eorini. It’s Ok-ran, along with the other palace musicians, and Eorini embraces her friend with a warm hug. Gil-hyun finds Gil-dong sitting by an unconscious Ga-ryung, and he soon falls unconscious as well. Gil-hyun rushes to his side and finds a pool of blood forming from Gil-dong’s unattended injuries.

Spoiler

Our other Hong Bandits are injured as well, but they’re conscious and alive. Yonggae’s heart skips a beat when one of Eorini’s fellow palace musicians gets too close to treat him; Soboori whines like a child when Deputy Governor Eom tries to treat his wounds; and Ilchung, Keutsae, and Eop-san revel in their near-death experience before proceeding to roughhouse on the ground like brothers. The rumor of Hyangjumok’s victory spreads to another village, and the rumors become more believable with talk of the Hong General being on the side of Hyangjumok’s people. A merchant tells his friend about how Hyangjumok has become a haven for people who wish to escape the tyrannical rule of the king, but at the price of many casualties and injuries. But the friend wishes that he could live freely for once and fight like the people of Hyangjumok. The merchant hushes his friend, but not before Scholar Song overhears this unsettling conversation. At the palace, the ministers gather to discuss the unnerving sight they witnessed as well as the chilling song of the rebels. One of the ministers, Park Won-jong (who would later become the prime minister of the next ruler, King Jungjong), does not share the same anxious sentiment and sits in silence.

Rebel29-00021.jpg

The king squirms in his sleep as he dreams about the rebels rushing to kill him. He jolts awake from his nightmare and calls Eunuch Kim to tell him about his vivid dream about the defeat and of how he escaped by disguising himself as a commoner. He says that it almost felt real, and at this point, it’s clear to Eunuch Kim that the king is in denial of what has happened.

Nok-soo enters the room and assures Yeonsangun that everything in his dream was not real. She sits next to him and places his head on her lap, coaxing him back to sleep. As he falls asleep, Nok-soo sheds a tear, sympathizing with his denial.

Spoiler

Rebel29-00035.jpg Rebel29-00036.jpg

Later that night, Nok-soo wakes up after nodding off to find that Yeonsangun has disappeared. She finds him outside and cautiously approaches him. He turns to her and says that everything was not just a dream. Once he verbalizes his realization, he begins to convulse with anger, then desperation, then fury. As he falls down with overwhelming emotion, Nok-soo watches him with tears welling up in her eyes. Jeong-hak and Madam Jo kneel in front of a minister who sentences Jeong-hak to his punishment — for not fulfilling his duty, the punishment is death. But thanks to the previous contributions of his mother, his life will be spared. Instead, he says, mother and son will serve as the king’s slaves. Madam Jo’s face falls, and she refuses to be dragged away. She tells the minister to kill her instead and cries that she’s worked all her life to make her son a judge. Finally, she cries so hard with indignation that she falls unconscious.

Yeonsangun demands for more soldiers to be sent to Hyangjumok to destroy them completely, but the ministers remain silent. Minister Park Won-jong steps up and agrees to follow the king’s demand before requesting some time to feed the horses. Afterward, the ministers meet to discuss their next course of action. Even though Hyangjumok has been severely affected by the battle, the ministers don’t believe that sending more of the king’s soldiers will destroy the village because of Gil-dong. As long as Gil-dong is there, the spirit of the people stays alive.

Speaking of, Gil-dong wakes up from his unconscious state next to Ga-ryung. He turns to face her and gently holds her hand as he asks why she’s sleeping for so long — is it because she hates him? He says that she doesn’t need to forgive him, but he begs for her to wake up. Gil-dong cries as he holds her hand close, and Ga-ryung’s body remains still. But then, her finger twitches. (Yes! The dramaland signal of life!)

Spoiler

Rebel29-00056.jpg

The shaman leads the ladies through the woods and instructs them to gather as many nourishing plants as possible. As Ok-ran starts to search further away, Eorini warns her not to go too far, and she nods. But of course, Ok-ran goes a little too far, and she finds an abandoned shed. She cautiously enters the shabby structure and gasps when she sees an injured person in the corner. It’s Mori — very weak and injured, but alive!

Eorini looks around for her friend and calls out for her. Ok-ran thankfully returns in one piece and pretends that nothing is wrong. Hmm, so she just left him there to die?

Read more:: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-episode-29/

Another amazing drama ended... :(

But I really enjoyed the last episode!!! I really love how everything ended!

Even though I really wanted Soo Hak and his mother to die, I really like how everything ended for them. They both became servants and were punished as servants even though they both looked down on servants. Soo Hak's mother also got what she deserve, being thrown out like what she did to her servants. I really love the irony that Soo Hak wanted to murder his master just like what Amogae did. Both of them got what they deserve, dying as servants instead of as noblemen.

I'm glad that Mori became part of the Noisy Hongs! Even though he started off as a servant to two horrible masters and doing their dirty work, he was finally able to be independant and following what he believes is right. I'm glad that he was forgiven and now able to do good.

Nok Soo's ending is bittersweet for me. Nok Soo was suffering that the King never love her back like she does to him but until the very end where the King was dethroned, the King finally showed the love that Nok Soo wanted... I'm happy that she finally got what she wanted but it's so sad that their love ended there.

I really love this drama! I'm so happy to see Kyun Sang and Soo Bin as the lead for the first time and they both did an amazing job! They have really good chemistry!! I kinda saw Ga Ryung and Gil Dong's child coming but I was still surprised lol. I thought at least one member from the Hong family would die during the fights but I'm really happy that none of them died! All the actors were did a perfect job at portraying their unforgettable characters! Also the last scene/credit scene was so funny and the best lol XD

11 hours ago, VIP_Cake said:

I really love this drama! I'm so happy to see Kyun Sang and Soo Bin as the lead for the first time and they both did an amazing job! They have really good chemistry!! I kinda saw Ga Ryung and Gil Dong's child coming but I was still surprised lol. I thought at least one member from the Hong family would die during the fights but I'm really happy that none of them died! All the actors were did a perfect job at portraying their unforgettable characters! Also the last scene/credit scene was so funny and the best lol XD

I so agree with your @VIP_Cake opinions on the cast.  It was a fantastic ending for just a wonderful show! I'm especially happy about Mori and the Jo's endings.  And of course, our hero being weakened because he's trying for another child. :blush:  With my favorite shows, I usually spend at least a week replaying over and over the scenes I really liked, so that's what I'll be doing with one.  Thanks to all the great content contributors on this thread, I really appreciated all your inputs! Happy days to you all!

I really like the ending credits, when all of them while singing and dancing. So tickled by Kim Ji Suk, one moment he was a dead pathetic looking king, and the next moment he was jumping up and dancing happily & crazily.... also nice to see the JOs singing and dancing... shows how great they are as actors and actresses, for us to hate their characters so much. and yet seeing them so happy in real life is really heartwarming. hahaha

i enjoyed this saguek a lot. Had some weak points but all and all very enjoyable especially with the never disappointing OST and artistic editing/directing was really done well. Great cast of actors.  

Let's see, if I could change the end would have paired up Ok 'Ran with Hong Gil Hyun, he deserved a honey. Although it makes sense that Mori have some romantic interest because he loved Ga Ryung, so I guess he would pair off with UhRiNi. They never really developed his Mighty Child  background, he just appers with this attitude, and it sort of doesn't adhere to anything. Anyway, didn't really matter, it was kind of a "mood" about him. Lots of "mood"and atmospherics  in this drama which worked really well.  

Loved them all singing and dancing at the end. That's the way it should be at the end of a myth drama.  Rebirth, new life, rejoicing, all is well with the world. Peace, Amen

:relaxed::relieved::smile:

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People: Episode 30 (Final)

by tineybeanie

hgd30-00004.jpg

Now that it’s at an end, it’s so hard to let go. I laughed at the comedic antics of the original Amogae Avengers, cried along with the heart-wrenching decisions made by Nok-soo and Ga-ryung, and blazed with fury and simultaneous pity because Kim Ji-suk’s portrayal of Yeonsangun was that fantastic. This hour was all about completing story arcs, and it was mightily satisfying to see that everyone got their just deserts. The drama wasn’t perfect by any means, but there were definitely memorable gems here and there, and I loved that it kept the people at the forefront, especially toward the end. And to that end, rather than being a drama where a lone rebel hero saves all, it became one where the people became empowered to save themselves.

FINAL EPISODE RECAP

Minister Park marches into Yeonsangun’s entertainment hall and demands the royal seal. He doesn’t flinch when the king rages at him and instead remains calm and resolute with an army of soldiers behind them. Yeonsangun is shocked and outraged at the impudence of these actions.

It doesn’t hit home for him that he’s being overthrown in a coup until Nok-soo gently adjusts his clothing and tells him that unlike his actions while he was on the throne, when he steps down, he should be dignified like a king. Her eyes water as she says that she will also die, since she’s the king’s woman. Then, she retreats from the dais and makes a full and formal bow to him, crying sorrowfully all the while.

Spoiler

hgd30-00029.jpg hgd30-00031.jpg

Wolhamae, Eunuch Kim, and Yeonsangun all watch with unshed tears in their eyes as she’s forced away by Minister Park’s goons. As she passes him, she spits in the his face, and in that moment, the official pulls out his sword to behead her. But Yeonsangun stops him with a yell, and Minister Park defers in respect to the king’s last commands. Yeonsangun cries after her as she’s dragged out, calling her his Nok-soo, and Eunuch Kim has to hold him back from following her. The following morning, Eunuch Kim notifies Yeonsangun that his half-brother, Grand Prince Jinseong, has been confirmed as the next king. Then, gesturing to the commoner’s clothing in front of him, the faithful eunuch tells his master that he must now change out of his kingly robes and leave his royal trappings behind.

In a daze, Yeonsangun stumbles out of his chambers in commoner’s clothing, and guards come to take him away. When he realizes that Eunuch Kim will not be following him as part of his retinue, he desperately pleads with him, the only real father figure he’s had in life, to stay. However, the eunuch tells the deposed king that he can’t accompany and serve him any longer.

Spoiler

hgd30-00092.jpg hgd30-00094.jpg

Nok-soo has also been divested of her extravagant adornments and attire, and she is dragged away to an unknown location. But at that location stands Gil-dong, and she realizes that he’s saved her from certain death. He tells her that he’ll repay his life’s debt by saving hers this time.

She replies to her former lover that while she may have saved his life when he was in Yeonsangun’s prison, he saved her soul long ago by telling her she was an artist and not a richard simmons. Smiling through her tears, she tells him that it was her choice to leave him for the king, and that she will also choose how she wants to die. She turns away from him, and his expression is bittersweet as he sees her leave for the last time.

hgd30-00118.jpg hgd30-00119.jpg

People in the streets point fingers at Nok-soo for being the wicked king’s woman who bewitched him into committing more evil acts. Ignoring their mockery, she begins singing a song bemoaning the futility and meaninglessness of her life and her sorrow at her imminent death. But she can ignore them no longer when the people begin throwing rocks at her. She doesn’t flinch or shy away from their blows and just stands, accepting their hatred.

Other citizens cheer the coming of a new age as they jeer the overthrown king being exiled from the capital. However, there’s one loyalist who comes forward and bows at Yeonsangun’s feet. He deplores the crowd for dethroning the king, declaring that this means the end of all social order. Seeing this one supporter, Yeonsangun commends him for his loyalty and says that he is a true citizen.

Spoiler

hgd30-00139.jpg hgd30-00134.jpg

From a raised platform, Gil-dong watches Yeonsangun’s disgraced procession from afar. Yeonsangun raises his head, and their eyes meet for a long moment. Internally, the overthrown tyrant thinks that Gil-dong is taking joy in this victory over him and is gloating over his fallen state. However, Gil-dong is pities him and thinks that this is a sad day, thinking it more sorrowful than anything that a man born with such great potential like Yeonsangun had to be taken down.

On his way out of Hanyang, the former king notices a mound of rocks with a pair of red flower shoes displaced on it. Someone tells him that the mound is all that’s left of Nok-soo after the mob stoned her to death. Mourning the death of his most faithful concubine, Yeonsangun cries again and again for his dear Nok-soo, never tearing his eyes away from the human-size mound of rocks that mark the site of her death and burial ground.

Read more:: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/rebel-thief-who-stole-the-people-episode-30-final/

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

(Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People)

girlfriday: Satisfying, cathartic, and entertaining all the way through. I got off this ride in the best mood, humming the theme song, and wanting to get back in line for another spin.

murasakimi: The ending had some highs and lows, but I feel like at least one of the major Hong clansmen/women should have died. I’m all for happy endings and I really did love the scene where Ga-ryung told the story of Chief Hong to those kids while Gil-dong was tending to a fire nearby. It was a wonderfully warm scene because those two actors sold the hell out of their love story, but the fact that everyone survived at the end felt almost untruthful to the story and tone that was established previously. It’s a shame because I was generally impressed with the fresh take the show took on class and equality in a sageuk setting. Maybe the point the show was trying to make is that the common people and the Hong clan suffered enough so they deserve a perfectly happy ending.

cr

3 hours ago, MiAmour said:

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

(Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People)

girlfriday: Satisfying, cathartic, and entertaining all the way through. I got off this ride in the best mood, humming the theme song, and wanting to get back in line for another spin.

murasakimi: The ending had some highs and lows, but I feel like at least one of the major Hong clansmen/women should have died. I’m all for happy endings and I really did love the scene where Ga-ryung told the story of Chief Hong to those kids while Gil-dong was tending to a fire nearby. It was a wonderfully warm scene because those two actors sold the hell out of their love story, but the fact that everyone survived at the end felt almost untruthful to the story and tone that was established previously. It’s a shame because I was generally impressed with the fresh take the show took on class and equality in a sageuk setting. Maybe the point the show was trying to make is that the common people and the Hong clan suffered enough so they deserve a perfectly happy ending.

cr

Wow, I am impressed that a kdrama comment would say the ending was too happy!  But somehow in my heart the pathos of a sentimental death juxtaposed to happy marriage and babies, does work better.  The bitter and the sweet.  I think though, that the myth character of Hong Gil-dong should have died several times. After he was torn up and crippled in the prison work camp, we never saw and he and his clan managed to rise up and healed their wounds and escape.  It is if they are resurrecting in the soul of the people when the come together with common purpose of the greater good, and they don't exist on the mortal plane but the mighty child is born in the heart again and again.

I enjoyed this saguek from episode 1 to 30, every bit of it was not boring and most of it made sense.  Granted it was not perfect but I am happy to see all of the good guys living fulfilling lives in the end with some hard lessons given to the bad ones.  Some did not learn but I am okay with that because in the future the Hong Chum Ji were there to ensure that it gets taught by them. 

The interesting thought occurred to me was Eorini and Ok Ran, they are going to have a very hard time getting husbands because its the Hong clan who are looking out for them very closely especially when its Gil Dong & Mori.  Can you imagine those girls trying to introduce someone they like to them, poor guys.  When you think about it everyone is at a marriageable age. I think Yongae finally got over his fear of women and got married as we saw that lady that he was interested in there around them.  Although they did not show that part I hope by then most of the men are no longer bachelors excluding II Chung. 

What I also found interesting was listening to the Hongs in the end talking about the political climate of the country as they have kept in touch with the happenings of the nation and will intervene when they think its necessary.  There are no plans to retire as they are the watchers of the interest of the people of the nation.

Thanks for watching this show with me, I enjoyed all aspects of it - reading fellow fans comments, reading the recaps, going through the fan motions of watching a good show.

• 3 weeks later...

I´m a little late., but i really enjoyed this drama und finished it today. ;-)

30 episodes was a little long and you could tell the story also in 24 episodes. Some parts war to long for my, but thats my only complaint.

actors really won me over, i liked the characters and team bonding so much. 

everyone who is looking for a good and fun sageuk should try rebel. the fun scenes was my favorite part and i laughed many times so hard.

I´m afraid, nobody will read this, but i try...  ;-)

OST is so amazing and i have heard all 35 tracks. i´m looking for the instrumental, that was playing through the hole drama (also ep 30; minute 50:30) and i don´t find the track on the OST. 

Did i miss it or can i find it somewhere else? Maybe someone know the name of the song? thx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Really surprised that this thread is less than 20pages. I enjoyed this drama tremendously. It surpasses Dae Jang Geum's director's Flower in the Prison, I believe. Rather than seeing it as Robin Hood, Korean version, I would see it as a resemblance to China's Water Margin aka All Men Are Brothers. I love all the minor characters. When i see Kim Sang Joong's portrayal, he reminds me of the charismatic heroes in Water Margin who are marginalised by society.On the other hand, despite Yoon Gyun Sang's towering height, ironically his screen presence was dwarfed by his father's charisma. His portrayal didn't give me much of a memorable impression and his portrayal looks more like a carried over from Six Flying Dragons. The child who played Gil Dong left me with a more lasting impression instead.

I couldn't hate Lee Ha Nui's Nok Soo. Nok Soo is such a complex character in this series. I cannot understand why she pledged loyalty to such a despotic king.I thought she was supposed to be an opportunist. The music, singing and dance choreography were fantastic.

Archived