[Drama 2017] Introverted Boss 내성적인 보스

Go Seung Ji

16110416_176287739522344_22207656856744016465141_390035108017956_89515946109671816228870_1645271745776492_60935923628213

Episode 6 is my favorite so far and I think just the fact that RW has climbed over that wall that surrounds HG like his black coat & hood.  She now sees what others don't take the time to see and understands him better that in fact he is the brains and not WI.  That in fact WI would be nothing except a fast talker without HG who has not only the knowledge but gifted ideas.  The one thing that is changing besides the fact that this drama just gets better and better is the fact that WI seems to be worse with every episode you would think after what has happened in the past he would have learned something from an innocent girls death.  Not this piece of slime or should I say trash he can't seem to keep his hands off RW and every time he gets close to her like in the fire incident I just cringe...

I just don't get why HG puts up with his mess I mean he could find someone else to replace him.  Not to mention why allow this good for nothing to stay with your sister, why not tell her the truth and kick him to the curb...  Maybe it's the sickness that doesn't allow him to have the courage or just that he can't stand the idea of hurting his sister like that.  Yet, as smart as he is does he really believe that his sister would be happy with a man such as that?  WI isn't the type to stop messing around and I have a feeling it just added to his ego that he didn't get caught last time.  I thought that HG didn't have courage but quickly he changed my mind when he told RW the truth that WI was taken in hopes that it would in fact protect her which was a smart move.  WI thinks he can push HG around and he usually gets away with it but I have feeling this is about to get great because HJ is not only keeping a close eye on RW but is listening closely and will block WI every chance he gets.  I believe we are going to see HG move way past his mental situation and be victorious over it and not only WI but his family and his company and all those around him who have the wrong ideas...  While capturing the one person who he really wants and loves RW... 

I had to edit because I forgot something so important when RW was in that panda costume I thought the writer was brilliant at that moment allowing her to speak from the heart without being seen let me just say moved my heart and I think it moved HG's heart as well.  Not sure if it was the snow around them as well but there was something magical about that scene...:wub:

credit to all photos go to original owners...

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After she jumped, someone must have found her shoes, taken them from the rooftop and put them in the penthouse window, no?  Who has the key?  HG's sister, his father, Hwan Gi and Woo Il?  Was someone trying to frame Hwan Gi?  His sister?

I think there's still a mystery here unless I missed something ...?

On another note, ratings were down to 1.2.  That doesn't surprise me at all.  Episode 6 was really fun but episode 5 was mostly filler of things we had already guessed and so no inducement to the audience to return for 6.  Everyone keep their fingers crossed they don't cancel it or shorten down the episodes as I've really enjoyed it for the most part, and it seems to be hitting its stride now.

For those who are wondering why that song in the beginning of episode 5 sounded familiar, it's a new rendition of a SPICA song which was part of the Super Daddy Yeol OST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjNnMpViQXc

It took me hours to figure out where I heard that song before:P I have no clue who's singing the new version though...I prefer the SPICA-version.

On 07/02/2017 at 11:08 PM, jellybellymonster said:

Hello! I just finished watching episode 5. I might be one of the minority here who liked the flashback episode. While it did confirm what we have been thinking what has happened all along, I'm satisfied they laid it all out like that so that the story can focus on the present. While I don't dislike RW, I can understand why some of the feedback they received was the difficulty of audiences connecting with her. By showing the makjang-fest flashback, background on how her character acts in the present  was given. She was cheerful and all that was lost with her sister's suicide. She had to confront the loss of her sister and then her mother. It was heartbreaking during the kimchi scene with her mother.  I still think she pulls off antics and rudeness at work that could already get her fired but then again we are watching a Kdrama wherein we have to suspend disbelief.

I disliked Kang CEO since episode 1 and episode 5 made me hate him with a fire of a thousand suns. I want to skin him alive when he lied and told them it was RWs Sis who came onto him. HG's Dad is really something, too. I can't decide who I hate more.

I liked that they've shown the friendship between RW's sis and HG. The highlight for me for the episode was the scene where he went to the NY Barbershop and RW's Dad was intuitive enough to know he was going through something. Man, Dad was going to develop lung cancer with the number of sticks he smoked outside. HG was crying for far too long inside.

I am looking forward to today's subbed episode because I miss the antics of Silent Monster team. They are mental! But here's to hoping they are not so mental not to notice that Eun CEO is suffering from social anxiety and just stop with sabotaging and bullying him. Boss needs help overcoming it!

Hello, I am a newbie on this thread :)

@jellybellymonster, I enjoyed reading your post!

I am one of those who found the female lead annoying, pushy, and rude. It could be writing and/or acting, but her attitude in the first few episodes verge on disrespectful. That said, I enjoyed episode 5. Not because the female’s leads presence was diminished but because episode 5 gave us insights in some of the other characters. We were able to see HG in a different light, and same goes for WI. HG, though shy and introverted, was experiencing life’s pleasure his way. He did things that he is not able to do in the present: dating, playing basket outdoors (during day time), and had another friend beside WI (I consider RW’s sister more of a friend than a secretary in this episode).
It was refreshing to see HG in a different light. The episode showed that he was not always as gloomy as he is portrayed in prior episodes. JH was a friend to him, and he very much liked her.  I read somewhere that she may have had a crush on him and that the drawing that she gave WI (or he took from her) was (probably) meant for HG. After watching episode 5, I am a bit ambivalent about the answer. It could go either way. When she was drawing the picture, she told RW that it was for someone at work who sees this view every day. It was right after she met with WI on the roof.  Similarly, the picture contained images of the places that HG (due to his phobia) is/wasn’t able to go: gym, barbershop, ballet… Also, she texted “Ceo” asking him to meet her in the break room. If it was HG, why not meet him in the penthouse? Where is the break room? If it was meant for WI, why did she look so surprised that he wanted the drawing? I feel like the drawing might show up again in the future.
We also got to see WI in a different way as well. He always appeared so self-assured, but this episode brought forth his insecurities. Just like HG, he is unable to act freely. Both he and HG are under HG’s father’s grip. HG is constantly being compared to WI. HG’s father wants the latter to be more like his friend. Although WI is given some latitude as the family’s “adopted son,” he is always reminded that he is not quite family; he’s just an orphan. WI is attracted to RW’s sister (JH), but cannot quite act on it because his future has already been decided. HG’s family (mom, sister, and father) already decided his engagement without taking his feelings into consideration. 
I also believe that WI’s friendship towards HG used to be sincere, but changed after the events in episode 5. I always felt that ( in the first four episodes) WI was not as a good a friend to HG as he claimed to be. His actions always seemed to be calculated. He would rescue HG from awkward and/or embarrassing situations, thus appearing like a true friend to HG and a competent professional to others. The biggest red flag was when he stopped HG from attending the press conference to clarify the situation about the secretary who was at the hospital. I felt that his participation at the press conference was more for his sake than for HG’s.

I believe that RW’s presence was diminished in episode 5 because the episode was used to give us more insights into the male leads backstory and how JH’s death changed them. 

I think it's safe to say that the main reason there was a rewrite was because many netizens didn't like CRW's character and they could not relate to HG's on any 'real' level. This was seen in ep 5 & 6 where the writers cleared off all the scepticism surrounding HG and WI's past to explain how he turned out like that.

As observed, it is quite obvious that HG has always been an introvert and through the flashbacks it was shown that he was actually, really slowly, coming out of his shell thanks to RW's sister, his then secretary. And might I say, I think there were unspoken 'feelings' between the two :wub: Her end was extremely tragic thanks to that darn WI! Still not an exactly 'wise' choice to commit suicide but, I think the writers put that in to show how different RW is from her sister who would have just confronted WI with his nonsense! OK going off track haha...what I'm trying to say is that ep 5 made us understand why HG is like that as he went back deeper into his shell after her death and the false blame he took for WI. So that's settled. People should be able to empathise now, hopefully, because YWJ is doing one hell of a good job playing him :) 

As for CRW, I'm so glad they are showing her in a different light in ep 6. Yes, there were still parts where she does not seem to understand the basic principle of privacy BUT she can be forgiven because well...her character is supposed to be nosy so....I'm also genuinely pleased that she's currently the ONLY one who's seeing HG in his little moments of vulnerability where he's just being himself, especially with his sister. Who I pity btw, cause she's with freaking WI! But yeah, besides that, no complains to the rewrite! Can't wait for the next episode to see HG being cute and drunk! 

ALSO! GLAD that RW knows that WI is engaged to HG's sister so no feelings to be had there!!! More space for HG <3

On 2/5/2017 at 5:41 AM, Hyosung 1013 said:

I am sorry. I could get you wrong but I do not get you at the part that her behaviors and her actions are not wrong. And that you blame the hate on the female lead character on the opposition to the gender role switch. I am a feminist myself but I am offended. Also some other random dramas do not play a part in this. Other Tvn dramas are still doing well after Goblin.

In no culture and society, people are allowed to break into someone's private house and yanked his head and assault him and think it is absolutely ok. And also in no culture and society it is ok to break into an opposite sex's bathroom just because you have a backstory. And noone deserves to be called cockroach for some minor misunderstanding or behavior issues, how do you justify treating someone else trashly because they do sth that is not up to your taste. No matter what gender it is, the whole world is not surrounding just around you, It has norms and rules and it requires you to show basic common sense to appear as a respectful human being. Just because you are a female does not mean you can do whatever you want. And I am not saying these actions show that she is not a decent human being, but the fact that she feels completely ok about doing those and no redeeming thought after doing those. Like hey you broke into people house,  you broke into the male bathroom, you treated your boss like a gangster and you destroyed someone's life by leaving her jobless and turning her into whistle blower w/o her permission. I am sorry, I am all for strong and fierce women in Kdrama, but I need them to have basic common sense and respect to other people, and if they work in a corporate environment, respect privacy and code of conduct. Being a female and having a painful past does not make a automatic pass. 

With that said, I know there are many stuffs like this in Kdrama in other dramas and other characters did the same thing too, and I am not judging it so harshly. But i do get slightly offended when you blame the reason people are against these actions of her of the gender norm. Because this is not that, And the people who hate her character are not korean, but international too. 

I think, though people keep missing the point--his home is his office, but how the hell is she supposed to know that in episode 1, when she's snooping around trying to find clues about how her sister died? The whole bit of her snooping is about how did her sister die. I think if people saw a male detective, who was going around talking about how his brother died, then they would be that's A-ok.

The complaints like, "She's too aggressive" "She's too nosy" Duhhh... her WHOLE motivation was to investigate her sister's death. She said so, up front that's why she's leaving the troop. What do you think detectives do? Sit on their butts and just hope that someone else will go snooping around FOR them? What is she supposed to do? Sit on her butt all day put the back of her hand on her forehead and hope a man investigates for her? It's clear that she has agency and people are bothered by it. Let's wait for some man to rescue her every episode (Aro of Hwarang, anyone?). She could wait for her father to do the investigating for her.

The police aren't going to interfere, she's estranged from her father, and her world has collapsed. So how is she supposed to find out the truth anyway? Just sit on her hands and cry?

There is no justification in the world for a person to investigate? Not even a police officer? You do know they have to do a fair amount of snooping and spying and digging into records? But wait, it's OK if they have a badge? What if the person can't get the police to do anything about it because the police are wrong? So then, it's never OK? Her sister died due to bullying. She wants to know the truth and get her revenge.

What kind of feminism is that?

And how exactly in the first episode, was she to know he lived, literally lived in his office? It's not like it said, "Suite 1" She was snooping in his OFFICE, not house. You need to track the information SHE knows. Which is why I said, they needed to separate his and her PoV for the first two episodes. People keep confusing what he knows, what we know and what she knows.

What she knows...

Her sister died. Her mother died because of her sister. The mysterious CEO also took the blame and everyone in the company said so. So exactly how was she supposed to think she's wrong? She didn't get evidence for it until the dinner in episode 4.

Say a full company of people tell you that the CEO is evil. She doesn't know he has social phobia. The newspaper reports that he's killed your sister through bullying and other companies are wary of the employees... the secretary outside reports bullying... OK, how is that "judging" for a different lifestyle. Before Episode 4, she said her mother died. She's still angry after 3 years. She's lost three people, in effect. She doesn't talk to her father anymore, she's not as bright as she used to be, her mother and sister died in quick succession and she wants someone to blame, which, BTW, is a natural part of the grieving process. The police won't do anything, so she's decided to make a change and actually find out the truth behind the incident. But Oh no, she has to wait for a man to do it for her, otherwise she's called aggressive, nosy, and has no right to be angry over someone bullying her sister to her death.

Why I'm pointing it out.
If the female is actually having agency, getting off her butt, trying to change her situation, and trying to investigate into her sister's death, then HOW DARE YOU.

Flower Boys Next Door, another TvN drama had a woman with social phobia and a man snooping around. That drama did very well. He had far less justification for snooping around that Ro Woon. He also judged her wrongly and actually did invade her apartment a few times--not her supposed OFFICE, but her apartment. But if a man shows up to rescue a woman from her tower of social phobia, well, that's clearly OK because she has social phobia, even if he's judging her wrongly, we're just going to cut him slack because he fits the men rescue women stereotype. But by chance a woman doesn't try to reform a man and he tries to change on his own, and she's helping to push him a little more and get him out of his tower... well... that's just wrong. His personality never was called wrong once. People stuck with it. The manhwa was called popular. Reverse the roles, well, you know I would feel that way if it was a male. Really? 'cause the evidence isn't there. Same situation, reversed roles, more justification behind the female than male. She's called a female dog, aggressive, etc. *eyeroll*

I should note that the recent Japanese drama Nigehaji had a female character who was also doing a reverse gender role, where she was rescuing a man from his tower, as the actor joked. It got top ratings.

Do you see the problem yet? This drama pretty much reversed the gender roles of the typical save the maiden from the tower and everyone had problems. She's not supposed to investigate her sister's death because she's a woman?? Why? What exactly is wrong with amateur female detectives?

How can you consider yourself a feminist if you're anti a female detective?

These three scenes worked well for me in ep 7.

Kimchi scene - RW reminiscing about her mom and shedding a tear over the kimchi was sad.

HG's team photo - Poor guy trying to loosen up and smile for a team photo! There are so many people who find it difficult to be in a photo. A fact rarely spared a thought in today's times... what with selfies and social media! :D He is handsome though!

HG's sis refusing to acknowledge reality - She is trying so desperately to hang on to KWI. And her parents are so messed up!! Wake up girl, you are capable of pulling yourself together! KWI is damaged too! They are now peeling the layers off KWI.

@Kim Yunmi Honestly I really think Park Hye Soo was miscast for this role, and it's not because she is female. Give the role out to Park Eun Bin, Han Groo, Seo Hyun Jin and I'll definitely see their portrayal of RW. Each of these actresses can portray a strong female character, that is ridiculously appealing and funny. They have natural talent to give that extra spark to their characters. 

After seeing her character change into more of a mellow character, PHS still isn't able to that extra 20% of a vulnerable extrovert. From the very beginning we were seeing things from the perspective of HK, due to that someone like RW is seen as super evasive and horribly uncomfortable. We get scenes of how RW loved her sister, and all those past fillers but we don't get to see her side as an extrovert. That's where the writing fails too. At least in Flower boys next door, we got to see Enrique's point of view (You don't have to change 360, but don't withdraw from everyone you've got so much potential). Plus it was really funny at times haha.

After episode 7.... it wasn't bad. I'm more invested between HK's communication with his therapist and  the secretary's fondness for the male co-worker. Thank goodness they put the therapist back into the picture, it's like seeing a fresh face - plus she gives us the direction that HK is moving towards which is helpful. I'd like to know how he managed to get help in the first place, but it's up to the writers. The writers have to think of other ways to bring the comedy back into the drama, since they relied too much on PHS to bring the antics. 

By the way is show still going on with 20 episodes? or has it been reduced to 16? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpDqIm3CHAEpRBgeM-x9zimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsqfQIGQXvxngvXjiwHP6images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4uy5ViKSAL5usStc6DWZ

I SEE WHO YOU REALLY ARE...  Underneath your just like that panda soft and loving, kind and caring...

HG was the hero of today's episode not only did he show he was angry and thank goodness it was in the right direction at WI who is a bit pushy in every way!  I was glad to see him shout it out and I think it woke up WI a little as well he is seeing  a change in HG and I have a feeling he isn't going to like it.  I also loved that at the end he stepped out from behind that wall and took the courage to say just three words ' I Missed You " dang I loved that moment because I understood just how hard that must have been for him.  To say the words shyly would have been enough but he went one step further he walked straight to her and faced it head on and boldly said it with meaning and eye contact that made you know he meant every single letter of those words simply amazing and my Korean bow to the writers for proving this drama is  well worth watching...

I thought the kimchi scene was so moving and gave us a better understanding of what RW's life was like and the pain that her sisters death left her family and how everything changed in a blink of an eye.  I think this scene was so honest and anyone how has known someone who has lost a family member through suicide understands that it effects everything and everyone around it and there is so much blame and pain enough to go around and enough to make you doubt yourself.  Wonder not only if you could have prevented it.  You find yourself going over every memory with a fine tooth comb until your sick of thinking about it and afraid something you did or didn't do caused it... Even if there is a Mr. Smith you want to blame...

My last thought was how brilliant the writer were in using a Panda not once but twice to move our hearts and show us a side to HG we hadn't really seen fully.  They allowed us to see the human heart underneath all that black that covers HG up and how big that heart is and how loving he can be.  Who he truly is and I think RW when looking through that glass window at him giving out food to those children, or dancing around dressed up in costume, or comforting a little girl through pictures and updates and escorting that one thing a little bear that means more to her than most people could ever understand.  That is except HG who not only understood but did everything in his power to not only find it but to protect it until that little bear was safely home... 

I loved this episode and I continue to be moved by what I see and that includes every actor and actress who make me believe...

just finished watching last night's episode... i really like the panda scene... our lead is so considerate to one child is so touching... i think this episode is better than the previous ones... keeping my fingers cross.. hehehe

btw... i am starting to feel sorry for the second male lead... oh..no!!

I think the show, and Boss, is moving in the right direction.  

@USAFarmgirl  i agree with everything you posted, and love the kimchi scene too.   HG still  clammed at times and displayed indecision,  but to a much lesser degree.   He spoke with his staff,  let someone help with his clothes selection, smiled for the camera, got angry at WI and showed it, he sat at the meeting, he spoke with the airline chairman and told him his plan.   I thought these were big steps he took.  From the search for panda and the cute poses on the plane posted in the group chat, his staff have confirmation that, while shy,  he is a good person under the black hoodie.  It takes courage for an ordinary guy, let alone an introvert,  to look at the girl he likes in the eyes, and say "bogoshipda".

Whether he will, in ep 8, deflect this by then looking at the child, idk, and I hope not.    The child is perceptive enough to notice RW smiling, and will be perceptive enough to know who the "i missed you" is intended for.  

The preview with HG and WI in either a fight or contest,  with his emotions showing,  and voice-over that he will no longer hesitate, is reason enough for me to look forward to tonight.

I'm really have suspicions about HwangGi's sister YiSoo.

Though WooIl is at fault but  It's a possibility YiSoo's the main cause of RoWoon's sister JiHye's suicide.

Maybe that WooIl really loves JiHye and plans to break up with YiSoo but then YiSoo found out about this and she confronted JiHye and told JiHye about her relationship with WooIl.

The way YiSoo looks at RoWoon when WooIl hold her. I feel that she's hiding something.

I don't know, maybe I'm just overthinking.

Today's episode was so fun. Even without understanding a single word, I did enjoy the live stream. I am sticking with this drama up until the last episode.

Everyone was their cheerful self and it looked like woo-il was telling his side of the story (or venting out his frustrations) to HK . And it sure looked like the boys had genuine friendship in between them and the events in the past years had led them astray. RW was fun and cute and loved all her scenes today , especially the ones with HK.:wub:

No preview and that ending........... WI on one side and HK on the other with RW's face towards our cute boss:wub::). Just don't fall asleep between them RW ..................^_^ 

The writers trolled the hell out of us in Episode 7. When Ro Woon was thinking that maybe she shouldn't have been getting revenge on Silent Monster, I was like yes, she is finally connecting the dots and maybe now she knows that he didn't harm her sister. But no. She is still trying to figure out who has been sending her the flowers, and I am pretty sure that when she does finally ask CEO Kang about it, he will take credit for it. 

Speaking of which. Let's talk about Mr. Congeniality. I get why the employees like him. He is always in the spotlight. He is always smiling and making everyone feel good. However, it is so obvious that things aren't what they seem. I feel like the only person who knows that is the ahjumma bread shuttle on the SM team. I am not a fan of people who are passive aggressive, and he is passive aggressive in a dangerous way. Make a damn decision. Stop taking credit for CEO Eun's ideas and come up with something on your own. That is why the father didn't push him out of a management position altogether. This whole let's change CEO Eun for the SM team is just him buying time until he has the courage to do what he wants. So, what does he want? He wants to run that company the way he wants to run it, without the father's interference. He also wants Ro Woon, not because he's so in love with her, but because she reminds him of her sister, which he doesn't know about yet. He wants to be his own man, without being looked down upon and told what to do, when to marry, who to schmooze with, etc. But, all of this time, he has remained silent. I stand by my earlier inference that he may have been with Ro Woon's sister when she died. I don't believe that she was such despair that she committed suicide. I think she was enticed or pushed. And I am still not ruling out Ceo Eun's sister on this one.

Then there is the sister. Her mother has carefully (allbeit forcefully) given her the man that she wants, yet they have been engaged for three years, which is a long engagement, especially over in Korea. The average woman would either try and get married right now or leave. But she is all, "I'll wait for you, because I know how you really are." WHAT? Sweetie, what you know is that this man is NOT in love with you. Hell, it is questionable if he even LIKES her. The mom is completely a few sandwiches short of a picnic, and the father is a tyrant, a shady one at that. It is no wonder CEO Eun has a social disorder. What a chaotic family to grow up in.

I am glad that Ro Woon is getting closer to CEO Eun, but I hope that she isn't so obsessed with whoever the flower guy is that she loses sight of what is important. Why did her sister die? Let's keep watching and unfolding this one, it is really juicy you guys. :blush:

Archived