[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

sugarplum892

Having watched a number of previews for upcoming episodes, some quite spoilery, I am really torn about PJ's future and thought a lot about it this morning... until a massive headache took over. :tongue:

Like @Wotad I want PJ to rebuild Changlin or serve in some official capacity.  (Contains spoilers for 41)

Spoiler

Ack! I feel that it is honestly such a waste of PJ's talents if he were just to up and leave and roam the world at the end of whatever big showdown occurs. Of course I understand where his heart is but it's such a downer when bright, talented people in dramas resign to live a simple life in the mountains or roam the earth. If they were on the run, it'd be prudent and understandable but if all PJ did was become LX's glorified caddy at the end of Episode 50 it would be a complete downer for me rather than romantic.

Sigh... Still, I shouldn't be too surprised if that's the outcome because it was clearly telegraphed in the early days, all throughout the drama that PJ was made for a carefree, wandering life. But then when I think about what Li Jiu said to him in Episode 41 after Yuanqi visit, I thought perhaps his trajectory had indeed changed.

LJ: The Prince of Laiyang has left. There's someone in Jinling who doesn't want you to interfere in the matter of Donghai. It should be clear to you what that means, right?

PJ: Yuanqi of the past wasn't like this.

LJ: People will change. You are no longer who you were. He too can also no longer be who he once was.

Like Pingzhang, I have always believed that PJ was meant for bigger things than the carefree life that everyone else was quick to box him into. Even while he was happily making mischief at Langya mountain, he took off to Ganzhou at the first sign of trouble. I was hoping that LX would be able to see that side of him coming from the better part of him. I don't know why they can't be a team and have more of a partnership.

Nevertheless I should have more faith in this show. :D Surely there must be some middle ground. One way or another, I'm sure they'll be able to come up with a plausible ending without lapsing into the melodramatic usual cliches.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As requested by @xienrue 

Episode 46 Preview  (Video and Translation)

Spoiler

Segment 1

PJ: I am sorry. I had promised you. 

LX: You are a son of Changlin after all.

PJ: Yes, I am a son of Changlin after all. Now that I know that His Majesty is in difficulties, I can't stand in the sidelines and do nothing.

LX: I understand your position and your ways. I've never thought about changing your intentions. But Pingjing, I hope you understand, that I can't for your sake change myself. If there comes a day, if the capital city is your home, then you and I...

PJ: Lin Xi, I know that I have no right to ask you to stay and wait for me. But I'm going to do something I have to do, I will return. In this life I want only for us to stay together. Wait for my return. We will then roam the world tasting herbs.

LX: Pingjing, my heart will always be waiting for you but my footsteps will not stop just to wait for you.

PJ: Lin Xi. 

LX: Pingjing, no matter where you go, you will always find me. Even if in the end we are unable to meet, promise me, look after yourself properly. As long as you're safe and sound.

Segment 2

PJ: Brother Jiu, this time when I go down the mountain, does the Old Master of the Pavilion have a pouch to give me? 

There is really one! So when can this be opened?

LJ: Right now.

PJ: What is this?

LJ: The Old Master says, the owner who used to wear this never once suffered a defeat. This gift today represents his intentions/regard for you.

It is probably Lin Shu's Chiyan bracelet.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Having watched a number of previews for upcoming episodes, some quite spoilery, I am really torn about PJ's future and thought a lot about it this morning... until a massive headache took over. :tongue:

Like @Wotad I want PJ to rebuild Changlin or serve in some official capacity.  (Contains spoilers for 41)

Hide contents

Ack! I feel that it is honestly such a waste of PJ's talents if he were just to up and leave and roam the world at the end of whatever big showdown occurs. Of course I understand where his heart is but it's such a downer when bright, talented people in dramas resign to live a simple life in the mountains or roam the earth. If they were on the run, it'd be prudent and understandable but if all PJ did was become LX's glorified caddy at the end of Episode 50 it would be a complete downer for me rather than romantic.

Sigh... Still, I shouldn't be too surprised if that's the outcome because it was clearly telegraphed in the early days, all throughout the drama that PJ was made for a carefree, wandering life. But then when I think about what Li Jiu said to him in Episode 41 after Yuanqi visit, I thought perhaps his trajectory had indeed changed.

LJ: The Prince of Laiyang has left. There's someone in Jinling who doesn't want you to interfere in the matter of Donghai. It should be clear to you what that means, right?

LJ: People will change. You are no longer who you were. He too can also no longer be who he once was.

Like Pingzhang, I have always believed that PJ was meant for bigger things than the carefree life that everyone else was quick to box him into. Even while he was happily making mischief at Langya mountain, he took off to Ganzhou at the first sign of trouble. I was hoping that LX would be able to see that side of him coming from the better part of him. I don't know why they can't be a team and have more of a partnership.

Nevertheless I should have more faith in this show. :D Surely there must be some middle ground. One way or another, I'm sure they'll be able to come up with a plausible ending without lapsing into the melodramatic usual cliches.

I am agree with you. This is part of the reason I am asking you the translation of episode 46 preview. From the nuances and little here and there that I am able to understand, I get the feel that these two would be separated.

I can understand that LX is not your typical housewife. She has her own mind. Still, XX also not a typical housewife but she loves PZ for who he is (a Chang Lin son that loves his family and country). I hope LX too can be like that. The carefree trait is only part of PJ, it is not the whole him. If she claims to love him, then she needs to accept all of him: the carefree part and the responsible part. She should have seen how talented her man is, thus she shouldn't make him unable to fully use his talent just to make her happy. A relationship can only flourish when both side make sacrifice, not one sided.

Well, lets wait and see for the ending for now. I will stop my ranting.

7 hours ago, rhaps said:

I also agree that Xun and the Empress are ridiculous. I just watched epi 36 with subs, and the Empress/Xun ordered Yulin army to guard the city while Pingjing was interrogated. OMG, I didnt know that they could be paranoid. Even Feizan could see that PJ's willingness to come to the capital showed that he had a good intention, that is to honor the Emperor. Even the Empress's servant said that the Empress was overthinking. And after the court was held, Xun ordered his men to spy on tha Chang Lin manor. Wow ..I dunno how they can become that ridiculous. Tinsheng was dying, what did he think they would do??

The irony of Xun Baishui and Empress Dowager's paranoia (which you've rightly identified as such) is that it renders them incapable of dealing with the real issues/threats. First they project, then they read into people's motives what isn't there and then they make stuff up to prove their point. But the real snake that is right under their noses, they are blind to, complacently thinking that they are able to control. At the end of the day I think it's because the Changlin family weren't "controllable" that really sent shivers up their collective spines.

XBS thinks he has his eye on the future when you get down to it, he is only really thinking about the present. Everything he does suggests that it's about the Xun's consolidating their power base.  Frankly anyone who thinks they can control the future is either a candidate for the insane asylum or egotistical beyond belief. The history of China (or the world to be exact) is replete with examples of changes in regime and dynasties. Obviously it's good to put things into place that can encourage stability but it doesn't take long for a new ruler to come in and undo all the good that has been done by others in the past.

@liddi Thanks for translating that clip from 44. I'm having some difficulty trying to understand what Yuanqi is saying there about XBS.

Spoiler

The bit about the huge difference between harbouring and not harbouring intent.

Do you think he's saying that XBS missed the boat because he mis-indentified both Yuanqi and Changlin's respective positions and wasn't able to deal with actual threats?

@xienrue  Re: PJ and LX

Spoiler

It's not that I even necessarily expect LX to be a housewife... heh... :D I just think that when two people are in a relationship, there needs to be some level of flexibility. It doesn't have to be either or, which is the dichotomy that's being set up by the character. "I can't fit into your world and you can't fit into mine." is what I'm hearing. Surely there can be a place for an overlap. The first 25 episodes certainly proved it. I just don't know why she can't go along with him to assist with doctoring and at least see how she can be a part of his world.

Look, I'm sure there's more to it than just that clip. Anyway, it's only Episode 46 and a lot can happen in 4 episodes. Most likely I'm overthinking things. :D

@40somethingahjummaRegarding PJ & LX:

Spoiler

I don't mean housewife in a sense of only waiting in the house (just couldn't find the more correct word). But, you use a more apt words here " I can't fit into your world and you can't fit into mine". However, she indeed will have to make sacrifice to not go wandering all the time picking herbs if she marries PJ and PJ take a position in government (either in military or politic). They will have their time wandering together of course, PJ will needs that for himself too. But he would have responsibility to fulfill and she as his wife would be expected to be there to support him.

It is selfish of her to not let PJ talent shine. In the preview, I sense that she will only have PJ if PJ catering to her wish not the otherwise. I hope they can compromise and find win-win solution. Sigh, ... even in death the grand secretary still creating trouble for PJ.

Anyway, I am happy that PJ chooses to man up and do what his heart wants as a Chang Lin son instead of becoming drunk with romance. Even though LX more or less sentence their relationship to halt, he still choose to go. I hate it when a man loses himself because of a woman.

Perhaps if something bad happen to PJ, then LX will come to her sense that her ambition and whim would be nothing if PJ is gone from her life?!

3 hours ago, xienrue said:

I can understand that LX is not your typical housewife. She has her own mind. Still, XX also not a typical housewife but she loves PZ for who he is (a Chang Lin son that loves his family and country). I hope LX too can be like that. The carefree trait is only part of PJ, it is not the whole him. If she claims to love him, then she needs to accept all of him: the carefree part and the responsible part. She should have seen how talented her man is, thus she shouldn't make him unable to fully use his talent just to make her happy. A relationship can only flourish when both side make sacrifice, not one sided.

Well, lets wait and see for the ending for now. I will stop my ranting.

@xienrue remember that XX is a warrior. If I remember correctly she trained with Feizhan. So it would be natural for her to fall in love with the great PZ and not have a conflict. LX on the other hand is a doctor, a student of a legendary Master with a mind of a scientist who is challenged with treating what ails people. Much of medicine today is based on the discoveries of ancient medicine. So, what she is about is a noble and serious business, it is not just about roaming the world. PJ understands and respects that. He loves her too much to let her be while he goes and do what he has to do. Her problem is how she saw her mother suffer and what her mother had done to cut off contact with the family of her military husband because the mother thought that she was doing a favor for the daughter. She did not want the daughter to "suffer" like she did. That indoctrination of the mother and the question of how she can be an effective mistress of Changlin House while she looks for cures for diseases are serious issues she has to resolve within herself. She loves PJ deeply to let him go while she does what she has to do. What LX needs is time. 

Heh... I didn't really want this to be about PJ vs LX but unfortunately it seems have turned into that. :D I really had no intention of going there. I've always liked Lin Xi and I supported her decision to go along with PZ's decision and I was right behind her when PJ was in a state of funk and was avoiding her. She's always seemed so understanding and mature compared to him.

Spoiler

All I'm saying is that I personally don't really want PJ to spend the rest of his life not utilizing his talents to the fullest and it seems to me odd for her to sound so rigid about keeping their trajectories separate especially when she told the Old Prince that sadness is part of the human condition anyway. So I don't even think she's worried about what mother might be thinking beyond the grave at this juncture.

Even if she were following her mother's admonishments... well, she's already fallen for PJ anyway and emotionally she's tethered to him so whether she's with him or isn't with him, the bond will always be there. She may as well take the chance and grab a bit of happiness.

I'm sure @zenya22 is right and maybe a bit of time apart will help her sort out her thinking.

While it's true that Xiao Xue was trained as a martial arts pugilist, I don't think that is why she understood and accepted the role of being consort to shi zi more readily. She grew up with PZ and she knows quite well what it means to be a son of Changlin and loves him for it. Being a son of Changlin, as she says in a more recent episode, is something carved into his bones. 

The thing is, LX did fall for the son of Changlin... and that identity pervades every part of who he is. It's not that she didn't know who he was the whole time. She did and despite all that she fell for him. Enough that she was willing to set aside serious medical ethics for his sake. That strong sense of responsibility and desire to help that comes with the Changlin baggage is undoubtedly one of the reasons why he grew on her in the end.

@zenya22 

Spoiler

No, Ce'er arrived at Changlin Manor just when the soul caller cried out Xiao Tingsheng's name from the rooftop, signifying he was already dead. 

I love your idea about Pingjing reestablishing the House of Changlin in trust for Ce'er, and I hope too, that Pingjing will be a strong male figure for him, particularly with the loss of his father and grandfather, both of whom would have greatly enriched the young boy's life had he had the chance to know them personally. We shall see, particularly with the ultimatum that is now given by Lin Xi, who is not willing (or at least not yet ready) to consider a life that would always be bound to the capital, and the political landscape.

@40somethingahjumma 

Spoiler

他的目光并不短浅。他只是不明白这有心无意之间究竟有多大的差别 。

I think Yuanqi was referring to how Xun Baishui failed to understand just how much the existence of intent makes all the difference between real and perceived threat.

If someone harboured designs on the throne, the intent in itself would have posed a very real threat, for that very intent would have given birth to relentless, dogged determination to achieve the goal, no matter how disadvantaged they were at the time.

Likewise, a person who do not lust for the throne would pose no danger.

Since the House of Changlin never had any intentions of usurping the throne, Xun Baishui's fear of them threatening the throne was ultimately unfounded despite all the advantages they commanded in terms of influence or power. On the other hand, Xun Baishui grossly underestimated any threat Yuanqi might have posed as he failed to consider Yuanqi's ambition as a driving force despite his much weaker political standing, thus giving him the opportunity to strike. Just my 2 cents :) 

More nostalgic trips to happier times... 

Pingjing grumbling about being lectured continuously by his father since he reached home, without even a single compliment :D 

0oyhnK8eaLIi-u3YQQNWJVP7EYXk_fvUHpR7o1m3Vs2SvvW1KayQOKJgDlV6SxozL9BLLX0UY53rwQ_7xi0K6b5_1ZUXUj8IXcGAY-n3SDYE5tLPTasqPLAxDXu604eT3oke1psMSYPM_Fl7gojrzgi_SEECm7DZLK0PW3ANuve-NkP5_60QkSTfJmp9fBV1at5SAZ829bW7gOXL2SIWRz2zsRKM46OvWlAqwZAxjMRsQ5mmM3eggZIoTcAQVRh5z_xV8_nQtudnjS_nQZubZC5xZVYyWb8fLsqksbUgKakc3nrnjvN-6ENVql4Yr9eZOKXqTqts31LEsjLCBTn89hZrUOXGcCTdIDGwwfCRGxiifoPyZA72meK2gFToLw62TmfjnJGevi1bBCTFvusLTxMDGtVQL3IOLlyzraYMhAiR8LFzrsblqDMSKOz27LG1JAW6DSoeXBJXpv5AB1wj_aqZief_yuO_KvxyZdLdxipzWOS5xmcKMiM1c-DIhz5r7W3mNwah8J4TWZXxpEvS3n2XDXRrwfxo2U6iXQGaWHDIPCRpnk7N23WMZNQmVzRDcl7edV96ttWWc0WLDd-nyhmN4b7mO8ss7fgIGDw=w480-h270-no

"I show her [Lin Xi] a great deal of respect. Unlike you, Older Brother, after Sister Meng was adopted by Mother, you requested His Majesty to bestow her in marriage to you when she was only 14. And you dare to call me frivolous!"

"Such disrespect!" :lol:

zBVGfZCEItLW561sFXRQRXyhooCOodkihibsMv22pLg8_PZWiMMBaN4g-1XQdCI1N4lRsX3IQIBEN6IqHsN8e6aUSpEqYYtUgJTZ4BNqv5fuRhLC1qi6iV9mhjlAsr5c0d4f5WgQKFcTkNA9CSER32Y6vraRrAfltu207EoPHBOQIGDGEF3UREa-hKWOf0FchrCx3b1EX3CiTyb8pePRJNl2VoS-csyYcmbgTfZGz-1VydyBmqmuzlBzfGiGeh3G6SD1pNIZL3tuapvpCf88BG2lsuJUkZY5qcrWGunRuxrDLGppnbJ1aQ9LWHcOjwqMO9kvegheiGNdH6DK0tA7sh8W8ULhZXAIKUaj51Rithx3e5ygmEZio7C1RLyKIItjCr84moBId_QMMwQAktv_NK2zzJe60XR6OX4u7DcXo-1ZjcCTYj4yF1eX7cemV7XmDYYrqA6xeC3fFnEwSYl1yizcX6PBKIk1r8aUCJom8oppPErFR4QUhXjXIoZgAR5tFVGoXPqtc8YK_dheYwaroGK_go6_pma9YXGfTuvB92ouUuMxg-Y0UQhpbwO3RkNvvY5Ls1HEeUOL8L3j4CC6--706dZTe2Fngm4unDo=w480-h270-no

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Heh... I didn't really want this to be about PJ vs LX but unfortunately it seems have turned into that. :D I really had no intention of going there. I've always liked Lin Xi and I supported her decision to go along with PZ's decision and I was right behind her when PJ was in a state of funk and was avoiding her. She's always seemed so understanding and mature compared to him.

Hide contents

All I'm saying is that I personally don't really want PJ to spend the rest of his life not utilizing his talents to the fullest and it seems to me odd for her to sound so rigid about keeping their trajectories separate especially when she told the Old Prince that sadness is part of the human condition anyway. So I don't even think she's worried about what mother might be thinking beyond the grave at this juncture.

Even if she were following her mother's admonishments... well, she's already fallen for PJ anyway and emotionally she's tethered to him so whether she's with him or isn't with him, the bond will always be there. She may as well take the chance and grab a bit of happiness.

I'm sure @zenya22 is right and maybe a bit of time apart will help her sort out her thinking.

While it's true that Xiao Xue was trained as a martial arts pugilist, I don't think that is why she understood and accepted the role of being consort to shi zi more readily. She grew up with PZ and she knows quite well what it means to be a son of Changlin and loves him for it. Being a son of Changlin, as she says in a more recent episode, is something carved into his bones. 

The thing is, LX did fall for the son of Changlin... and that identity pervades every part of who he is. It's not that she didn't know who he was the whole time. She did and despite all that she fell for him. Enough that she was willing to set aside serious medical ethics for his sake. That strong sense of responsibility and desire to help that comes with the Changlin baggage is undoubtedly one of the reasons why he grew on her in the end.

@40somethingahjummaHaha, that is the beauty of series because it brings up real life situations that are relatable to the viewers. Relationships can encounter issues because of beliefs, religion, profession or other which can become problematic even with those who have fallen deeply in love . Even as an adult sometimes what parents have done or said  have strong influence on people's beliefs unless completely understood and discarded. LX passion, what makes her tick is being a healer. PJ understands and loves her deeply to respect that to give her space and vice versa. The best part of this love affair is how both will resolve this. Master Lin has been quiet, I am wondering when he will come up and suggest a solution like he always did. 

With my recent concerns about how the last part of the drama would fare with the departure of the outstanding, older cast, if the past 5 episodes and the previews for the 4 upcoming episodes are anything to judge by, I am confident we are in excellent hands. There is no lapse in momentum and we know that Liang is facing its worst ever danger, standing on the edge of a precipice before all hell breaks loose, this time without Changlin on hand to fend off the threats from within and without. The younger cast is rising to and exceeding all expectations - brilliant performances particularly from Liu Haoran and Wu Haochen as they chart Pingjing and Yuanqi's character evolution. My only concern is whether we will get a rushed ending, with only 4 episodes left unknown, and so much still appearing to be unresolved. Nonetheless, the production has not let us down thus far, and I trust that they will continue to deliver all the way to the finish line. 

6 hours ago, rhaps said:

I think it's gonna be interesting if the writer decided to change her and made her accept her destiny as a soldier's wife. I've seen PJ's (and Yuanqi's) character development along the show, but I havent seen much in LX, except that she slowly falls in love with PJ, then accepts and supports him more. I think that she is actually more easy-going than PJ, so I believe that she can still accept him if he decided to live a palace life.

@rhapsI think the last part of the drama will consist of the love affair drama LOL and it will be a resolution we all will like. 

9 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Reveal hidden contents

yeah i agree his talents would be wasted if he just roams the world , i think the whole show was pointing at PJ having a carefree live and Pingzhang saying he could do bigger things etc..

Did PZ really die for him to roam the world? 

1 hour ago, liddi said:

With my recent concerns about how the last part of the drama would fare with the departure of the outstanding, older cast, if the past 5 episodes and the previews for the 4 upcoming episodes are anything to judge by, I am confident we are in excellent hands. There is no lapse in momentum and we know that Liang is facing its worst ever danger, standing on the edge of a precipice before all hell breaks loose, this time without Changlin on hand to fend off the threats from within and without. The younger cast is rising to and exceeding all expectations - brilliant performances particularly from Liu Haoran and Wu Haochen as they chart Pingjing and Yuanqi's character evolution. My only concern is whether we will get a rushed ending, with only 4 episodes left unknown, and so much still appearing to be unresolved. Nonetheless, the production has not let us down thus far, and I trust that they will continue to deliver all the way to the finish line. 

NIF 1 had a "rushed" ending in the sense it could have been longer but still ended well. 

9 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

As requested by @xienrue 

Episode 46 Preview  (Video and Translation)

Hide contents

Segment 1

PJ: I am sorry. I had promised you. 

LX: You are a son of Changlin after all.

PJ: Yes, I am a son of Changlin after all. Now that I know that His Majesty is in difficulties, I can't stand in the sidelines and do nothing.

LX: I understand your position and your ways. I've never thought about changing your intentions. But Pingjing, I hope you understand, that I can't for your sake change myself. If there comes a day, if the capital city is your home, then you and I...

PJ: Lin Xi, I know that I have no right to ask you to stay and wait for me. But I'm going to do something I have to do, I will return. In this life I want only for us to stay together. Wait for my return. We will then roam the world tasting herbs.

LX: Pingjing, my heart will always be waiting for you but my footsteps will not stop just to wait for you.

PJ: Lin Xi. 

LX: Pingjing, no matter where you go, you will always find me. Even if in the end we are unable to meet, promise me, look after yourself properly. As long as you're safe and sound.

Segment 2

PJ: Brother Jiu, this time when I go down the mountain, does the Old Master of the Pavilion have a pouch to give me? 

There is really one! So when can this be opened?

LJ: Right now.

PJ: What is this?

LJ: The Old Master says, the owner who used to wear this never once suffered a defeat. This gift today represents his intentions/regard for you.

It is probably Lin Shu's Chiyan bracelet.

Spoiler

i really dont like what LX is saying here shes basically giving him a choice her or his family's legacy.

I hate what shes saying here. 

The event that triggered Yuanqi's downward spiral... :( 

epr2WYGzXGneVpBNxYMKreIrzD0gTPlVkpJvTHCnCl3_mSlGiUNnrcWmQwaEbNXghb3y3Z2irVNTXNW6Wuj3XKIxG68-j-P-bgebmP42VynGxgBRXzaC7PIffujS7E1yHxP3pWi0WX3F8hP6052IDJvX9dvbfWDRu8U2Z7vjIvL8APJEsVp_ebj-HAv71r89HajJ-KVGwKn4z8sakHFbaVSTIkk2Xmb7lpuZygXLRdftQ2w5Mn0B_Z6AJ-rE4vvMWZlJq8UFmyLQzZAShfBjzReARf00BYl-eTMWjuAwdFqmTDX7o2DbkSAGW5tQY_hnfh88zJULeUqMqTuKfrE2fmAD287lZLvQE_4uRVoTdpwYwE-9ohElaqchkei7KQZq4WY0CyWsEImpb8f5bAXE2fgJiHhbgekwjhAg0bFBlz7w2BhDdK_f1GbXtqyec7vXbQ2k3ezKmAraK_d3i0wd6T7L-qlAyx7m-uq97LJOKmb5_9USd04sPw7USWwynCG0ugp9L5AJxWPK6o8kWzezbNSbfsS3XQmrJ63PWho3-JYqNhqJKdKiEOYVolK5D916BNqLr7KyrflJF5Bo4U3NCiOg64_a6YeRTj68ISo=w480-h270-no

One of the characteristics of this drama is how well the antagonists are fleshed out, given an arc that enables us to empathise how they ended up on the dark path, even if we may not agree with their decisions and actions. Yuanqi in particular, is one such character, and it is doubly difficult to see the warm, kind boy of old, transform into the terrifying monster that he is now, through the tragedies and harsh decisions that befell his life. The scene when he pleaded the king to be allowed to bury his mother was the perfect example of the cruel choices he was faced with - being forced to choose between renouncing his ties to the imperial family (and thus his father), or to accept not being allowed to bury his mother, who gave birth to and raised him. 

On a lighter note...

Oranges were used very effectively as alarm clocks in ancient times... one of the many things we learnt from Nirvana in Fire 2 :D 

kIgynNn5oTQ4Dv3ZBW8WeLPhbUrFi5EhK5A03QeAJN49sbSyIoDaXOYKxrayNkS2HsxyLw3aIjeUoYgcb5iOV4gi31VoFIzoG_6nBR4JbhWgGDydoqIR70avsg7bAPhl8BWGkohnUzUrhsHsYHu9jWYG_dXU6mLWGXQBTp69HVjAn9avCdr2r7_VyjqOr8UIRDKYGtWJMelUeTefIO9isjclRtfEGTfuQXjETdnWAYn5VoxRYBYKdeCddjpLz2p0yVwULPEo4lHpd_wWI2ad-dKuLM5Kq1CjJvTCccmys0KzZzzQzwIGMn2_vDe-3BAZzkrcxF1e3QdIOOSGaLsouD9JB-jZ_ksFY-bzlA-JKM0vvYWH2vq_nG-B_ywZmjyL2G16TlYGDxKp3i7TIXAWGdHUWA7TANvNezJZOPVV1JMBBcXotWUBoIqiwOI33xxZ7JIOl1d0UL9usx4ljJitYjoohsMYWqbQrM7uEmO9R7xXSFzxkqLa0CXiRJOZJYbKgiW0cKAu7AIwgma1dVHGsQkePlyKEccCxuABO_1OmdWLOjll5wy2A9fqZQEB1eGCYWboBLampGGy9tLtBsQtw-nM-PnLDVfRopgaZ8U=w480-h270-no

@LyraYoo I know this is a delayed reaction, but it is awesome to hear that this drama will be broadcast in Korea as well. Is it usual for such broadcasts to be done in its original language and subbed, or do they usually dub it?

Do you know if the first drama too was aired in Korea previously? I wonder.... with all the remakes going on, if we would also see a K-adaptation of these two dramas?

44 minutes ago, liddi said:

The event that triggered Yuanqi's downward spiral... :( 

One of the characteristics of this drama is how well the antagonists are fleshed out, given an arc that enables us to empathise how they ended up on the dark path, even if we may not agree with their decisions and actions. Yuanqi in particular, is one such character, and it is doubly difficult to see the warm, kind boy of old, transform into the terrifying monster that he is now, through the tragedies and harsh decisions that befell his life. The scene when he pleaded the king to be allowed to bury his mother was the perfect example of the cruel choices he was faced with - being forced to choose between renouncing his ties to the imperial family (and thus his father), or to accept not being allowed to bury his mother, who gave birth to and raised him. 

On a lighter note...

Oranges were used very effectively as alarm clocks in ancient times... one of the many things we learnt from Nirvana in Fire 2 :D 

@LyraYoo I know this is a delayed reaction, but it is awesome to hear that this drama will be broadcast in Korea as well. Is it usual for such broadcasts to be done in its original language and subbed, or do they usually dub it?

Do you know if the first drama too was aired in Korea previously? I wonder.... with all the remakes going on, if we would also see a K-adaptation of these two dramas?

In Korea NIF aired on Chinese TV which is a Korean TV channel.

Its Quite rare for Korea to do Chinese adaptions of historical drama's 

The 25th episode got 0.529 tv rating. 

6 hours ago, Wotad said:

In Korea NIF aired on Chinese TV which is a Korean TV channel.

Its Quite rare for Korea to do Chinese adaptions of historical drama's 

The 25th episode got 0.529 tv rating. 

@Wotad Thank you for the information. The only K-adaptation of Chinese historical dramas that I personally know is Scarlet Heart:Ryeo, again of another of my all-time favourite C-dramas 步步惊心 BuBuJingXin.

By the standards of 中华TV, is 0.529 considered good or mediocre ratings?

From the trailer that was aired, it will be subbed, not dubbed.

1 hour ago, liddi said:

@Wotad Thank you for the information. The only K-adaptation of Chinese historical dramas that I personally know is Scarlet Heart:Ryeo, again of another of my all-time favourite C-dramas 步步惊心 BuBuJingXin.

By the standards of 中华TV, is 0.529 considered good or mediocre ratings?

From the trailer that was aired, it will be subbed, not dubbed.

its quite hard to judge ratings at least for me because they air on different channels so im not sure how popular NIF 2 channel is compared to other channels. 

Princess agents hit a 2.5 highest on CSM52 , NIF 2 has hit a 0.8 on Dragon TV if i remember correctly. 

NIF 2 airs on Dragon TV and BTV.

Princess Agents airs on CSM52 and something called National Average - not sure if that is a channel or w/e but it gave different ratings.

NIF had a average of 0.8 on Dragon TV and Beijing TV.

The advisors alliance had a 0.9 average on Jiangsu TV but on Anhui TV had like a 0.5/0.6 Average.

Its quite hard to tell as you can see with so many damn channels but if we compare it to NIF its 0.3 lower but the market has more competition now , i think NIF 2 should have given rights to more online sites which would have boosted its live ratings. 

If it was on Youku i think it would be getting alot more attention. 

Ill have a better picture soon ill do every episodes ratings , i think each episode airs on both channels so ratings are split. 

in 2016 these were the most watched drama's im trying to find 2017's

1 Legend of Mi Yue (Dragon TV & BTV) 7.096
2 Princess Weiyoung (Dragon TV & BTV) 2.828

@Wotad Thank you for the figures. Actually, I was asking more about ratings wise in South Korea alone for their Chinese channel(s). Either way, if 0.529 was the rating of the first drama, I truly hope the second one will enjoy ratings on par with, or even better than this. It certainly deserves it, production quality-wise.

@rhaps Thank you for sharing the BTS... unfortunately I can't seem to view it - keep getting the message "This video is unavailable". :( Do you have the same problem?

A truly moving fan video on Weibo which pays tribute to the key characters in the first and second dramas... honouring the spirit of Chiyan and Changlin.

https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/FFAurrM33?fid=1034:d637953668346cb799060ee5798c7507

cr. 十壹西 Weibo

to which the drama official Weibo responded with this post:

赤子之心,永生不灭。长林风骨,代代相承。从赤焰到长林,北境的烽火未熄,京城的冷雨不止。庆幸总有那么一些人,用热血书写忠义,用脊梁撑起家国。感谢你用心的解读与呈现
The heart of Chi[yan], will never be extinguished. Changlin's strength of character, will be a legacy across generations. From Chiyan to Changlin, the flames of the Northern frontier have not gone out, the cold wind in the capital is unabated. Fortunately there are always those who would use mark their loyalty with their patriotic blood, support their country with their backbone. Thank you for your interpretation and presentation.

Drama aside, I find it interesting that South Korea's Chinese TV channel has this as their logo:

15267763_1372178326134815_3149205540980794481_n.jpg?oh=2b872dd4d6228f09845742189e6d7d1a&oe=5AE28A88

with 中华 (Meaning "Chinese") being written in simplified Chinese, rather than the corresponding traditional Chinese 中華

Reason being Korean Hanja text is basically traditional Chinese characters, so the choice of simplified Chinese characters (which started circa 1930s) in the network logo of a Chinese channel in Korea is an unusual move. 

@rhaps I guess that could be it... though normally the message would reflect geographical location as the cause. Ah well...

Found farewell posts by the marvellous actors of the departed Changlin men done on 22 Jan 2018, all of which bring a pang to my heart, recalling their characters' respective arcs... and driving home that this drama will soon be over.

Sun Chun's farewell post on Weibo:

#孙淳琅琊榜之风起长林# 萧氏庭生回家了,一路以来,萧庭生这个角色给了我太多的感触和体会,希望你们也能喜欢![爱你][爱你][爱你]  领到第一波盒饭,希望平旌@刘昊然turbo 自己要好好照顾自己。我的小陛下@演员胡先煦 ,一定要镇得住啊!
Tingsheng of the House of Xiao has gone home. Through it all, the character of Xiao Tingsheng has moved me immensely and given me so much in terms of experience, so I hope all of you also liked it! Having received my last packed meal (finished filming), I hope that Pingjing @LiuHaoRanturbo would look after himself well. My little Majesty @actorHuXianXu, must be sure to dominate the court!

Huang Xiaoming's farewell post on Weibo:

平章今生有两大幸事。
其一,5岁得父王收养,虽不是血脉至亲,但这让我更加明白什么是长林风骨。 其二,家庭和睦,父王信任,平旌依赖,小雪恩爱,虽朝堂战场阴风冷雨,但长林王府一直温暖如春。 
如今父兄皆已不在,希望二弟平旌能坚强,小雪能平安喜乐,长林风骨也必将承袭和延续@孙淳 @刘昊然turbo @佟丽娅

Pingzhang's two greatest blessings in life.
First, being adopted by Royal Father at the age of 5, and despite not being related by blood, this made me understand even more fully what the Changlin strength of character is. 
Second, harmony in the family, Royal Father's trust, Pingjing's dependence, Xiao Xue's love. Despite the sinister, chilling battlefield of the court, Changlin Manor is always as warm as the spring.
Now that Older Brother and Father are no longer here, I hope that Second Brother Pingjing will be strong, Xiao Xue will be safe and happy, and Changlin's strength of character will be a legacy that is inherited and continues on.

671ee283ly1fnproeeqecj20kk09njsq.jpg671ee283ly1fnproeszlpj20kc09l3zj.jpg671ee283ly1fnproexkmhj20ka09ogmb.jpg

Spoiler

671ee283ly1fnproemo2kj20kd09s0ts.jpg

Archived