[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] All Out of Love 凉生,我们可不可以不忧伤

sugarplum892

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, kokodus said:

What is the deal with this Tianen guy??? Is he really a psychopath??? Xiao Jiu and Xiao Wu's story made me tear up. Hope they get together in the end. Sighh

There's a back story to why hes like that.  Although he looks like hes on good terms with his brother Tianyou, he actually resents him.  There's a deep hatred.  He doesn't want his brother happy, nor does he want to share his brother with anyone else. 

Spoiler

Tianen wasnt born handicapped, but Tianyou caused his disability.  When they were younger, Tianyou climbed onto a roof to catch a bird, I remember vaguely it was a ladder that dropped on Tianen.  Thats why you see Tianyou baby his brother most of the time because he carries that guilt of turning his brother into a disabled person. 

His caretaker should be someone younger than the older guy cause it makes no sense as an older adult he doesn't try to reprimand or advise Tianen to do the right thing.  

this song is my favorite from the drama

http://fx.weico.cc/share/38461127.html?weibo_id=4290319463379508

Viewers have been complaining that there hasnt been a kiss scene yet, looks like Tianyou is just as surprised, it took him a moment to realize hes being kissed

m0RV6mm.gif

The storm is soon to follow

hqSYA22.gif

Spoiler

When he realized she aborted his baby.  Viewers put a collage together how his character Murong Feng reacted to learning of the abortion vs Cheng Tianyou's reaction. 

w0yXoGx.jpg

10 hours ago, lovecarnation said:

and about ma tian yu , i'm agree with you,he looks doesn't have  expression in this series , even when he stood up sometimes I felt a little strange whether it was called a bit stiff or something else...i don't know this is his character in this series which requires him to express like that or how..:D i'm on ep 8 now, hoping to get his acting change in the next episode because I think his role is also important in this series

Sadly, he hasnt improved.

Thanks for the MV.  I've watched stuff done by Chewywon before, its always nicely done

I m up to 15, i cant wait for tianyou and jiangshen to hook up. I love the way wallace revealing that he didnt lose the phone but he lost her...i melted. :wub:

Never a fan of Ma tianyu but i think his acting totally lost when he was in france. I know he lost his memory but he is so bland and blank. 

1 hour ago, cheeriekwan said:

Never a fan of Ma tianyu but i think his acting totally lost when he was in france. I know he lost his memory but he is so bland and blank. 

Tbh, he already only had that lost blank stare expression even before the memory loss. But now this situation is a nice excuse for him to continue that. Meh. I wish they had chosen someone better for the titular role. Even if he is not the main lead, the sibling's love is the heart of this story and I couldn't feel that at all. It's a shame, really. 

@leah8 Thanks for explaining about the backstory behind Tianen. It now makes sense why he behaves like a psychopath. He is just sick in the heart. Sighhh. 

30 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Tbh, he already only had that lost blank stare expression even before the memory loss. But now this situation is a nice excuse for him to continue that. Meh. I wish they had chosen someone better for the titular role. Even if he is not the main lead, the sibling's love is the heart of this story and I couldn't feel that at all. It's a shame, really. 

Ya cant agree more. I felt the siblings liking from jiangshen but not from him.  

@leah8   @cheeriekwan   so glad that there is a forum to spazz out! I maybe the anomaly here but am not a Wallace Chung fan. Was interested to watch this initially because of Sun Yi but stayed away because .. 70 episodes!! ... and the synopsis was just too melo and far-out. Saw some clips of TY and JS on Youtube (they have a very comfortable yet sexually palpable chemistry) so thought I would watch the first few episodes and drop it once the going gets tough/rough/weird/dragged out. And..... I fell down the rabbit hole and still watching 25 episodes later and rewatching scenes of TY and JS in the TV version (which starts out with their interrupted wedding that is not in the DVD/internet version) and cut scenes (it also shows the first time Wei Young met LS in cadet training which gives more context WTF she is so into him). So...

1. I think Wallace Chung is great!  I saw bits of General and I where I thought he was doing too much of that HK "chok" expressions and his interactions fell flat to me - their backstory was contrived and Angelababy is really not a good actress. It has been a while that I watched a c-actor who is older than I am that I enjoy - the actors I enjoy are usually younger despite them acting in mature roles - hello Zhu Yi Long!! - and its a refreshing change. Zheng Tian You is a man who has a career and family expectations and his entire world doesn't revolve around JS - he still has to go on sudden business trips, take conference calls and sort out corporate takeovers - a person I can relate to!! The age difference between TY and JS is apparent in the way he cares for her -  he babies her to a large extent and she lets him take care of her although she takes care of him in her own way (i still like that scene where she tries to rescue him from the mob while she asks her friend to ring the cops).

2. TY and JS have the best chemistry and their loveline feels quite organic and (not yet!) unreasonably tortured. I didn't read the book so I am only familiar with the drama version which probably helps but I thought it was lovely how their acquaintance morphed into something more. Even before the accident, JS is a person who is weighted down by many responsibilities - the pressure to do well and not disappoint her mum and brother, and as she tells Jin Ying, she feels comfortable with TY. I thought it was quite telling that despite LS's obvious annoyance at her staying out the whole night with TY (in the car by the roadside), she didn't stop TY from seeing her and was not guarded or formal (like she is with Dr Lu) around TY. The mutual attraction is palpable and but simmering (kinda a getting to you know better phase) which was never present in the LS and WeiYoung relationship and it shows that despite her strong attachment to her brother, she has romantic feelings for another man. I thought the part where he played the piano for her in that house was sorta turning point for both TY and JS because it made him acknowledge his feelings and she probably considered him a romantic possibility - kudos to both Sun Yi and Wallace for interpreting that scene well. Of course, TY then promptly went away for 3-4 months with zero contact which also shows that his universe is a lot larger and more complicated than just having JS in it and he has to contemplate how he wants to move the relationship further once he acknowledges that this is more than just a fun distraction. I would say that TY is not a perfect guy either - which makes him more real - he can be selfish to his own needs and wants too; what is JS supposed to think while he was away since he made no real move up to then. I actually don't think that he was giving her space at the flower shop when she pushed him away (After Tian En made the fuss that she was actually his girlfriend) - it was more that his feelings were not yet so real that this is the LOVE that he must have - remember that he was back for Xmas but he actually didnt reach out to her at all? It must have been uber strange to JS that while he was away, his weird brother came to approach her more than once thinking that she is his TY's girlfriend but in actuality, TY has not actually said a word of that nature to her - flirting definitely, but not even an iota close to dating! Oh yes, may I also just say how cute it is that they both bought gloves for each other (and also with a happy face?) although nothing was said yet and she still has it !! After all these years - despite being away, and him being the indirect cause of her brother's head trauma and ripping her family apart. I wished that they made a bigger deal about it because its easy to forget that a lot of the misery that she is going through is because of TE wishing to cause unhappiness to TY and LS was the unfortunate bystander victim. Life just sucks that way - I would say that TY should be so nice to her because if not for him, her life would have been much much less complicated.  It may seem that she is a thorn in his flesh but I really dont think so (and clearly he doesn't either from what he told his grandpa in ep 25) which ties with my analysis! yay!! I would say that TY's feelings for JS deepened after the 4-year separation; he is still very much the oldest grandson of the Zheng family and prior to her leaving, the most he could manage is the confession at the railway station (which was very sweet and sad) as he is still protecting his brother and his family legacy. I thought it was nicely done that he didnt go out of his way to insist upon JS following LS to France (which someone who is like super in love with JS to the point of being a fool for love and doing everything for her no matter at what cost) but just tried to make the best out of the mess they were in because then it wouldnt be in line with his character. If he did, I think I may have stopped watching then but he didnt and it made the show better in my opinion.

3. Because I didnt read the book, I am spared the potential forbidden love storyline between JS and LS but I really feel that this is not the direction the drama is going. They are very close siblings ; LS literally gave up 2 years of studies to spend time with her and his entire life is spent making sure that she is protected and okay (also to compensate for the fact that their father loves him more than her) but I cant see an inkling of romantic sparkle between the 2. She is unhappy in the earlier episodes when Wei Young was with him but the interpretation seems to be more of "someone is taking my brother away from me" rather than "oh god, i am in love with his man, what am I going to do!". Again, its easy to forget that JS lost her entire family in a very short span of time and its not unnatural for her to want to fight to keep her brother. I like that when the grandfather's right hand man spoke to her about letting LS go to Paris (After he lost his memory) for his recuperation and for her to effectively cut ties with him, she asked if TY was aware. Despite being angry with him and his family, she still wanted to make sure that he was part of the decision making process rather than assume that he was. Its all these little nuances that makes it clear (to me at least) that TY is who she wants romantically but she cant overcome the void from losing a family member so abruptly and unfairly. 

4. Everyone is good looking and everyone can act!! Even Dr Lu, Wei Young's university senior, Nin Jing's university mate, JS/LS parents are good looking! Wei Young is also very pretty - she looks like Gulinazha to me. I feel sorry for her and her sister. Somebody should give them a good shake and tell them when He Is Not Really Into You!! Holding on to a dream and missing out on real life is such a tragedy and the kind of "romantic" love/yearning that I find super unhealthy. I also like the part where JS/LS dad apologised to his long-suffering wife before he died - while it doesnt absolve his wrong-doing, it gives context to why he acts that way - she was an arranged marriage partner (someone significantly less educated than him)whom he did not love but had a child with and he was in love with his learned, sophisticated colleague who already had a child out of wedlock whom he feels indebted to as she died in place of him. You just never know the intensity and passion that some people have despite their outwardly ordinary placid appearance - something that I feel is so true in real life too. 

5. Because of the all-round acting and storyline that still makes sense to me (up to now!), I havent actually FF much except for Bei Xiao Wu and Xiao Jiu after she found her mum because I thought that part was not related to the actual story somehow. Oh, the one person whom I think is not acting up to mark is Ma Tian Yu (sorry his fans!) - the kids acting as young and teenage LS did a much better job than him!! I never thought he was a very strong actor and I think its even worse here because the character is a contemplative one with much in his heart and mind. Sadly, none of that is coming through and as such, its hard to understand why Wei Young is so in love with him. He has given her no mixed messages at all (unlike say TY and JS in the earlier days) - we have the benefit of their youthful experiences and mutual hardship (acted so well by the young actors) which helps us understand why JS is so bonded to LS but there is nothing between him or Wei Young as MTY, while definitely good looking, cant really act with his eyes. If there is meant to be some romantic longing by him for JS (which may explain why he is so distant with pretty Wei Young), its also not coming through. 

6. And my dear Sun Yi - when will she get a happy drama from start to end! She is really good at emoting melancholy while radiating sunshine when she smiles - its not an easy act to juggle as quite often, it just veers into overacting (over hyped when happy to show the contrast) or underacting (dead eyes) . The flicker in her eyes or the corner of her mouth when she is content is very well done - when she admits to her friend that she is happy with TY when he was away for 10 days in Los Angeles and didnt contact her at all. So subtle yet it speaks so much. She is one of my favorite young c-drama actress and hasnt disappoint so far! 

I hope show doesnt start going down the drain soon - c-dramas tend to lag in the middle esp since this is 70 episodes - so I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Surprisingly i quite like xiao wu and xiao jiu couple, up to the point they found out that her mother and his father are lovers, which i felt a bit too dramatic lol... but i still like them.

The other thing i enjoyed about this drama is the original voice recording. The actors sound super natural to me. Any idea if all are using own voice? 

@lizzieyen Nice analysis!!! Cheng Tian You really is a nice gentleman but also has a tinge of playful side to him, maybe thats why the chemistry between him and Jiang sheng who is supposed to be a lot younger than her doesn't feel that awkward.

My sunshine is the drama that made me fall in love Wallace Chung, there is no turning back after that. Yi Chen still is my most favorite male lead character in all of dramaland. 

@cheeriekwan I don't know about others, but Wallace's voice is definitely dubbed. That's not his real voice. 

Spoiler

i'm on ep.11, omg....what's the matter? why can xiaowu's father have an affair with xiaojiu's mother? and how with xiaowu and xiaojiu? xiaowu very hated his father because his father had abandoned his mother until death because of another woman, and the woman was the mother of his lover :scream:

5 hours ago, kokodus said:

@lizzieyen Nice analysis!!! Cheng Tian You really is a nice gentleman but also has a tinge of playful side to him, maybe thats why the chemistry between him and Jiang sheng who is supposed to be a lot younger than her doesn't feel that awkward.

My sunshine is the drama that made me fall in love Wallace Chung, there is no turning back after that. Yi Chen still is my most favorite male lead character in all of dramaland. 

@cheeriekwan I don't know about others, but Wallace's voice is definitely dubbed. That's not his real voice. 

@kokodus I didn’t realize how long I wrote ! All that pent up emotions! I think it’s obvious he is older in their interactions but it’s not gross (even when she was in uni) or weird in any way :)  did you notice that on their first official date, he bought tickets for the horror movie although she decided on a romance show? He still calls the shots. 

I wanted to try My Sunshine but I am allergic to Tang Yan - it just didn’t work out for me since she is the female lead! 

9 hours ago, lizzieyen said:

@leah8   @cheeriekwan

I hope show doesnt start going down the drain soon - c-dramas tend to lag in the middle esp since this is 70 episodes - so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I read that it was Hunan who wanted them to go back to filming to add more episodes.  Nothing has ever been confirmed from any of the parties.  Although this series is a modern series its one of the more expensive scripts.  Hunan paid good money for this at 50 episodes. So imagine now with the added 20 episodes.  

I wish like you said that Tianyou is selfish in the relationship, because I would enjoy watching it a bit more.  Their relationship would be more balanced, not just one side giving all the time.  Even his choice to leave her when he found out he might not be able to provide the best for her after finding out he will turn blind, this is selfless love. I think he has huge responsibilities and priorities when he flew away for the business trip, and they weren't an official couple yet. When it comes to his business dealings he's firm and decisive.  Yet, when it comes to dealing with love, he's soft.  When he went to apologize to her at the flower shop, I don't think he backed off because he wasn't sure of his feelings, for me the hurt on his face said more.  I think he feels guilty that he had let her down by choosing to believe his brother in front of a crowd of people.  That's a huge slap in the face for her and probably tore him to pieces inside.  It's almost like he didn't have the face to confess to her after disappointing to her so deeply.  If he behaved like this with his business dealings he wouldn't be successful as he is.  When she missed the appointment that he worked so hard to get with his grandfather, he didn't blame her, yet he was the shoulder she can rest on.  He naturally assumes she has her reasons.  He keeps letting her off the hook, that's why she keeps disappointing him.  At the same time perhaps this is why their relationship will work in the end because he has the patience and warmth to fill her void.  The siblings once etched their names in the snow, did they show this in the drama?  Well they said that their names etched in the snow, they will never be apart.  Someone explained this so well, the snow can only stay as long the winter season last, however Tianyou is the sun, he will surely melt the snow. 

One of the classic lines is "I know you will come, so I will wait," perhaps this is why he has the patience, because he knows that his patience will pay off.  When they met 4 years later and he asked to borrow her phone  and used it to call his own, he said to her "I didnt change my number because I'm afraid you might not be able to find me, but you have changed your number that's why I couldn't find you"...that part was sad.      

I get why she lets Tianyou baby her, because she grew up with her brother babying her.  She's used to it.  It doesn't weird her out or make her uncomfortable, being babied seems to be second nature for her lol.  I think those scenes are super cute.    

The big difference between the novel and the drama is that in the drama it clearly shows her attraction to Tianyou and rather depicts her love for her brother more like sibling love vs love between a man and a woman.  It will be more straightforward in the upcoming episodes.  All those times Tianyou and Jiang Sheng met up, it was all by choice.  She took him up on his offer to take her out to dinner for her birthday.  She could have refused to get in his car the one day he showed up abruptly, but despite her show of annoyance she trusted him enough to get in.  She also trusted him enough to fall asleep on his shoulders.  It was funny how he kept trying to grab his jacket but she refused to give it up even while asleep lol.  The night he brought her over to his house was definitely a big turning point.  If he had no other priorities and didnt have to leave, their relationship would have gone to the next level and she wouldnt be sulking about her missing brother. 

I agree with you on Sun Yi, this is my first time watching her.  She's a good actress, who doesn't need to use exaggerated facial expression to convey her emotions.  

I dont find Ma Tianyu attractive at all, but I could tolerate him since his roles are usually supporting roles that have little significance.  His weight loss makes him look like a skeleton now.  The same can be said about Wallace at some points in the drama.  But Wallace has nice built with height, so he could get away with it. 

7 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:

The other thing i enjoyed about this drama is the original voice recording. The actors sound super natural to me. Any idea if all are using own voice? 

Sun Yi and Ma Tianyu used their original voice.  Ma Tianyu was criticized for his voice though. People are saying his voice is too soft and feminine and hard to understand.  In his defense his fans said he got hate for having his voice dubbed in the previous 3 Kingdoms, yet now he dubs his own voice people are still hating.  Wallace is dubbed, he's still working on perfecting his mandarin lol.  It sounds like the same guy who dubbed him for My Sunshine.  He sounds really nice.  When I watched the trailers, the first thing I noticed was the soothing sexy voice. 

7 hours ago, kokodus said:

@cheeriekwanMy sunshine is the drama that made me fall in love Wallace Chung, there is no turning back after that. Yi Chen still is my most favorite male lead character in all of dramaland.

He loses that playful side 4 years later.  Thats what I enjoyed about his character in the beginning.  Maybe he has to be mature and serious in the relationship since they started dating  because she's been sulking about her brother since and he holds some responsibility for that.  Time does not heal all wounds and losing a family member is hard.  4 years may be long to some, but she has no closure on her brother's whereabouts.  She grew up in his care, so its only normal that 4 years did nothing to help her forget.  However, not all guys would be understanding of the situation.    

I became a fan of Wallace from Best Times with Janine.  His character was a perfect balance.  He was nice but he had strong character.  Lu Licheng would have knocked some sense into Jiang Sheng by now. He would certainly give her a big lecture on respecting the elders when she missed the meeting with his grandfather.  Blame her first then hear her out lol.  Even He Yichen would have not have the patience of a saint.  Imagine if Mosheng did that to their baby.  I would bet He YIchen would disappear from her life forever. 

All of that said, I actually like how there is some tension.  70 episodes of fun and laughter would not be interesting.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one in this thread.  It would be pretty boring talking to myself lol. 

@kokodus  sorry! I didn’t know that you are only up to ep15. Will blab less - where are you watching it subbed ? 

@leah8. She aborted the kid? Not miscarried ? Hmm I am not sure if I can continue watching if she did the former and he still accepts it. Eeek. Actually in terms of missing the appointment with his grandfather, I actually thought that it wasn’t so bad - if a doctor rang to say a family member was ill, I would probably miss my date too. TY should let her make it up to his grandfather though - that’s him over babying her! 

I thought that it was sweet she kept the gloves she bought for him although she actually didn’t want to see him anymore because she thought he had a part to play in separating her from her brother.

Wallace, Sun Yi, Ma Tian Yu and Alan Yu are going to be on Happy Camp next week i believe :) 

@leah8  I forgot to say that I agree with all your analysis (except that flowershop thingy :)) - TY and JS always met up by choice. Oh drama, please don’t spoil it for me!! 

11 minutes ago, lizzieyen said:

@leah8. She aborted the kid? Not miscarried ? Hmm I am not sure if I can continue watching if she did the former and he still accepts it. Eeek. Actually in terms of missing the appointment with his grandfather, I actually thought that it wasn’t so bad - if a doctor rang to say a family member was ill, I would probably miss my date too. TY should let her make it up to his grandfather though - that’s him over babying her! 

From the spoilers I read,

Spoiler

she aborted to baby so she can take care of her brother.  I read this a couple of days ago on weibo.  Viewers were instructing him to get up and slap her.  Some people find no logic in her decision since he would have happily agreed to take care of her brother with her

Keep blabbing btw, I'm sure some people like being spoiled lol.  I for one dont mind spoilers.  Just make sure you put a spoiler notice. 

The gloves were really telling that they were on each other's mind.   

The cast filmed Happy Camp a couple of weeks ago, on the 18th? Its going to air on the 8th.   They also did the mid autumn show together too. 

6 minutes ago, lizzieyen said:

Oh bless! I can continue watching - scoured the net and found a blurry preview of ep27. 

Hide contents

She did not abort the baby!! 

really what happened?

@leah8 Sad to hear that he loses his playful side after that 4 years time jump. But I understand, and I can't wait for him to go all in with their relationship. Wallace Chung is doing a great job. I agree that Ma Tian Yu is not that attractive, maybe it's my eyes which can only see Wallace Chung. I haven't watched best times yet, I heard there is a problem with the ending. Does Janine end up with Wallace's character?!?!? I love Janine chang from here to heart!!! . I absolutely enjoy the discussions here. I haven't read the novel, so I find it really interesting when you guys share the tidbits from the novel. And yes Jiang Sheng writes their name in the snow in the drama.   

@lizzieyen Don't worry about me and spazz all you want. I don't mind the spoilers. I'm watching it in Viki. I can't understand Chinese so yeah I have to wait for eng subs. 

1 minute ago, kokodus said:

@leah8 Sad to hear that he loses his playful side after that 4 years time jump. But I understand, and I can't wait for him to go all in with their relationship. Wallace Chung is doing a great job. I agree that Ma Tian Yu is not that attractive, maybe it's my eyes which can only see Wallace Chung. I haven't watched best times yet, I heard there is a problem with the ending. Does Janine end up with Wallace's character?!?!? I love Janine chang from here to heart!!! . I absolutely enjoy the discussions here. I haven't read the novel, so I find it really interesting when you guys share the tidbits from the novel. And yes Jiang Sheng writes their name in the snow in the drama.   

@lizzieyen Don't worry about me and spazz all you want. I don't mind the spoilers. I'm watching it in Viki. I can't understand Chinese so yeah I have to wait for eng subs. 

Wallace blew me away in Best Times.  It was that series that had me going back to find him in earlier works.  The tv version of Best Times had an open ending with both guys meeting her back in the small city she taught at.  You can find the two endings online, I watched both endings but chose to believe only the ending with Wallace's character lol.  Here's a link to the ending episode where she ends up with Lu Licheng

10 minutes ago, kokodus said:

I liked wallace and janine in best times but not the rest and the dubbing irritates me. Ma tianyu reminds me of the boring Jia nailiang in there. Perhaps you can watch for wallace. His character really stood out. Not to worry about ending because there are 2 versions up to you to choose lol. 

34 minutes ago, leah8 said:

From the spoilers I read,

Reveal hidden contents

she aborted to baby so she can take care of her brother.  I read this a couple of days ago on weibo.  Viewers were instructing him to get up and slap her.  Some people find no logic in her decision since he would have happily agreed to take care of her brother with her

Keep blabbing btw, I'm sure some people like being spoiled lol.  I for one dont mind spoilers.  Just make sure you put a spoiler notice. 

The gloves were really telling that they were on each other's mind.   

The cast filmed Happy Camp a couple of weeks ago, on the 18th? Its going to air on the 8th.   They also did the mid autumn show together too. 

really what happened?

Spoiler

Looks like she miscarried as she fell when Wei Young was snatching something from her.

Archived