[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

6 minutes ago, jongski said:

Can chingus clarify please, cos I'm confused.. so tonight's was episode 2?  Yesterday's episode was episode 1 but  30 mins 30 mins?

Y'all I took a leave ya know..just so I can watch raw..haha.YSH  acting!

At the start of this thread, I've been fervently wishing YSH win an award for best actor ( plus my forever wish to him and Ji Sung in one powerful drama!)

At the end of this drama.. I wanna see YSH win a best actor award! And when I say best actor I mean,overall Korean best actor not just  MBC best actor! and criteria is acting skills not popularity.   Hah. I know I'm biased but acting skills, need to be rewarded!

@Go Seung Ji thanks for the page 1 updates and all cos I'm still confused with character names,  so I  always check on that :)

Last night was actually ep 1 but MBC split it into 2 part with adding an advertisement in between. Tonight ep should be ep 2 (MBC also doing the same. Splitting it into 2 part)

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope hwa-gun wont go crazy and reveal the real cp to his grandfather this early on the episode. Kind of hope that she fall in love with the peasant LS but it seem unlikely cos she already notice hidden mark on the CP that no one else know. She would easily known which is the real and face CP

I like our OTP scene in front of the open fire when our CP directly asked GE whether she is betrothed or not.  He was so direct in his interest n you know how good YSH is with his emotion. If I was KSH in front of him looking at him looking at you that way...aaaahhhhhh... I might just melt away :-p

12 minutes ago, fieza1871 said:

i hope hwa-gun wont go crazy and reveal the real cp to his grandfather this early on the episode. Kind of hope that she fall in love with the peasant LS but it seem unlikely cos she already notice hidden mark on the CP that no one else know. She would easily known which is the real and face CP

I like our OTP scene in front of the open fire when our CP directly asked GE whether she is betrothed or not.  He was so direct in his interest n you know how good YSH is with his emotion. If I was KSH in front of him looking at him looking at you that way...aaaahhhhhh... I might just melt away :-p

The crown prince is such a flirt eh? :D that's his charm. 2 ladies already smitten by him. lol But I think the romance will stop by episode 6? It might be full of angst and might focus more on fighting the Bureau water supply group ( Pyunsoo Group). And there's Ga-Eun going to be mad at him for the death of his father.

I wonder if they will follow the fate of the real Crown Prince. (History). He died of starvation right?

Oh well, let's watch and see. :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------

I just hope Kim Hwa-Goon will become the Crown Prince's Ally. *crosses fingers* Am I the only one who find her cute following the crown prince like a puppy? lol and oh, I looove her wardrobe. haha

For those who want to watch the drama live in the upcoming weeks, you can register thru the iMBC website.

I posted an article on my blog on how to register.  Please kindly give me a feedback there if you encounter a problem.

[Updated]How to register to iMBC

Posted on May 12, 2017 by nonski

This is an updated post of my previous one with the same title.  Please inform me if this isn’t working.  Thank you!

I created this post so I can have it ready for friends who have difficulty registering to the official website of the MBC.  Hope this helps.

Step 1:  Open this url on your address bar:  member.imbc.com/Login/Login.aspx and click on the button before the check mark.  A new page will open.

I'm jumping on board! Normally sagueks do not interest me, but this one is exception because I really want to watch KSY and YSH as the leads.

Great start for Day 1 (somehow I think it is less confusing to remember this way than going by episode number, lol), can't wait for Day 2 subbed to be uploaded.

Hope it won't be too melo and angsty down the road, coz I might not be able to continue if so.

1 hour ago, nonski said:

For those who want to watch the drama live in the upcoming weeks, you can register thru the iMBC website.

I posted an article on my blog on how to register.  Please kindly give me a feedback there if you encounter a problem.

[Updated]How to register to iMBC

Posted on May 12, 2017 by nonski

This is an updated post of my previous one with the same title.  Please inform me if this isn’t working.  Thank you!

I created this post so I can have it ready for friends who have difficulty registering to the official website of the MBC.  Hope this helps.

Step 1:  Open this url on your address bar:  member.imbc.com/Login/Login.aspx and click on the button before the check mark.  A new page will open.

Thanks so much for this, I was hoping someone would be kind enough to provide a tutorial.   Will try and register later :)

Hwa Goon is such a creepy character,her obsession with Lee Sun is creepy and more than sure she will do anything to have him or if not she will choose to destroy him and everything he cares...Don't know if all of this is based on her upbringing,that feel of having what she desires at hand,because her Grandfather clearly taught her that or a mix between that and her ill personality that would be there no matter her status(in that respect)...

I must say i giggled at the little clishe reversals we've got here,the girl saving the guy,that palaquin scene were he reveals himself to her in that innocent way most heroines do in their first meet-up with the fated one...

Our Crown Prince will have a tough journey ahead of him and more than one slap with the reality surronding him that sadly doesn't have anything to do with what's right or what should be...I like his desire for justice,for the good of the people yet we could say he is still innocent and i must say i'm so into his journey to becoming a great King and more seeing how he will gain power as for now he doesn't have much even if he will loose some of the now bright innocence he still holds,that purity yet untached by darkness.It won't be easy getting rid of a full room of councels that the King now has and are all by the Pyunsoo hwe side and even more finding new reliable people to work with..I can understand a bit more why he will himself feel so guilty after seeing people die because of his future actions...

Like always the poor and good ones die first...Felt so sad for the poor Sun(the poor one,i'll call him as that) feeling helpless in more than one ocassion because of his status and i'm sure he felt deep down hate for Lee Sun as his involvment for good or bad had his father killed...I must say i'm quite in for their journey and how this two will grow up and i hope Sun's possible desire for more will not tear away or backstab our future King,joining hands with the old evil one,it would be really sad yet it's something i could expect for plot wise...

Now into fan,ehem,noona mode...Yoo Seung Ho is sooo damn handsome and full of charisma as always,everytime he is on the screen i can't take my eyes of him,full of demanding presence...:wub::wub::wub:

Hwang Chi Yeol OST in the ending of the episode is amazing,can't wait for it to be realised...

4 hours ago, cynkdf said:

This is the first time I've watched L in a drama - he's been quite impressive so far.

I like him too...

4 hours ago, kimsohyun1201 said:

I feel like for an actor, having a good director is key and i feel like through this drama, L will get rid of the bad image he has as an actor. I just cant wait for next weeks episode, but i read somewhere that there might not be an episode next week? Does anyone know anything about that?

...and don't know why he has a bad image

I was watching him in last Rain drama...and to tell you the truth to me he was great to the point i wished he ends up with lead lady...and i like Rain really :D

Seems it was great ep just like ep 1...hope subs will be out soon

1 hour ago, Miky88 said:

Hwa Goon is such a creepy character,her obsession with Lee Sun is creepy and more than sure she will do anything to have him or if not she will choose to destroy him and everything he cares...Don't know if all of this is based on her upbringing,that feel of having what she desires at hand,because her Grandfather clearly taught her that or a mix between that and her ill personality that would be there no matter her status(in that respect)...

im quite worried that Hwa Goon might do something that could hurt Ga Eun (?) shes already obsessed with him, i mean, she even pricked her neck so that they could match, imagine what she would do if she finds out that the person she likes, loves someone else. her characters definitely going to keep me on edge

26 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

L will die in the drama by the end of it ...

im worried that his character might turn out evil by the end of the drama, but omg it was so cute when he was staring at Ga Eun and when she looked in his direction, he shyly looked down.

38 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

i am calling it out now.. 

L will die in the drama by the end of it ...

Hah. Either  the "peasant sun" L or GH will die. We watch a lot of kdramas, and  in almost alL,  there's always major character that will die.

But lets enjoy wonderful acting of the cast lead by YSH KSH. ^^

41 minutes ago, zagigirl said:

...and don't know why he has a bad image

I was watching him in last Rain drama...and to tell you the truth to me he was great to the point i wished he ends up with lead lady...and i like Rain really :D

Seems it was great ep just like ep 1...hope subs will be out soon

I'm not familiar with L. but he's actually good you think he can be another D.O.?

7 minutes ago, jongski said:

Hah. Either  the "peasant sun" L or GH will die. We watch a lot of kdramas, and  in almost alL,  there's always major character that will die.

But lets enjoy wonderful acting of the cast lead by YSH KSH. ^^

I'm not familiar with L. but he's actually good you think he can be another D.O.?

Sad but true...

Yeah let enjoy the cast lead...but side characters r important too right? :)

The #1 ranked article on naver right now is about Ruler. It has almost 1000 comments and close to 5000 upvotes w/ positive comments of course praising the drama. 

http://m.entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=311&aid=0000732569&rankingType=default&rankingDate=20170511

but yikes, they are tearing Yoon Sohee apart for her acting saying that she's a miscast and the only flaw with the entire drama. I feel like at this point she has as much screentime as Kim So Hyun so I hope she improves over time...

subs are out!! :w00t: I just finished the episode raw, I feel they're doing it on purpose waiting for me to finish the raw to give me the subs :lol: off to watch the episode with subs now!! :w00t: 

before going I want to say I WANT TO KILL THAT CRAZY THE 2ND FEMALE LEAD!! :rage: she's crazy, she made them catch Lee Seon's father for getting water only to find the Crown Prince?!! she's totally out of her mind!! :rage: 

and Crown Prince Lee Seon wated to confess to Ga Eun (both his feelings and his identity) but things went wrong and he couldn't!! :( loved how she asked him how long he'll follow her now that he met her teacher and he answered "for the lifetime" :wub: and the father looked like he's giving him his blessing inviting him more to their house while eying him and his daughter!!  awwww :wub: how things would've been different!! :( 

off to watch now!! :w00t:  

so just finished watching with subs..

umm.. definitely scarletXmoonlightXhwarang combo..

plot is usual for a sageuk.. i mean they always have a story and real conflicts. Don't think this is going to be primarily romance.. but rather story of CP's growth to a king with bit of romance thrown in.

Key would definitely be the actors.. because their acting has to connect with the audience.. for now everyone is doing a good job of it.. or let's say fast pace is working..

@L while he is another cutie like that guy  V from hwarang.. but acting wise he is alright.. all his crying scenes fell flat for me atleast.. but then he is a young lad new to acting.. so considering that he isgood...

But, man! makeup really does wonders.. he doesn't look half as cute as he did on knowing brothers..

Second lead female - uh! what the hell was that.. because she wanted to find CP she is ready to get people killed... halfway through this drama will turn into fatal attraction.. one fateful meeting with a psycho and she ruins your entire life :tongue:

2 hours ago, kimsohyun1201 said:

im quite worried that Hwa Goon might do something that could hurt Ga Eun (?) shes already obsessed with him, i mean, she even pricked her neck so that they could match, imagine what she would do if she finds out that the person she likes, loves someone else. her characters definitely going to keep me on edge

im worried that his character might turn out evil by the end of the drama, but omg it was so cute when he was staring at Ga Eun and when she looked in his direction, he shyly looked down.

i am going to put faith in infinite's agency that they won't allow idols to play truly dark character (and no DO's character is not even remotely dark in portrayal in all his psycho movies)..

they would never want  roles for idols that will illicit hate from audience (you know hate for secondary character)

Ratings 170511:

RulerMasterOfTheMask : 10.5% | 12.6%

Spoiler

tumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko2_400.giftumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko3_400.gif

tumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko4_400.giftumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko5_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko7_400.giftumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko6_400.giftumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko8_400.giftumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko9_400.gif

tumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko1_400.giftumblr_opsln1WQ6L1tmjt2ko10_400.gif

heartou:

“What is the real reason that I have to wear this mask?

-----------------------------------------------

7 Reasons Ruler: Master of the Mask proves it will be the best historical K-drama of 2017

2334c40b-2dc0-4820-9069-e427edc51968.PNG

Ruler: Master of the Mask is officially blessing our lives!

Yesterday, the historical event of the year began. Yoo Seung Ho, Kim So Hyun, Infinite's L and Yoon So Hee plan to enhance our lives with action, romance and intrigue in this new series with 30 min episodes. Ruler: Master of the Mask has episode lengths like our addictive short shows with classic K-drama appeal. This historical treasure is sure to become a favorite in South Korea and abroad with its first-rate production. It already scored number one in the ratings with almost 12% during premiere week.

Since Ruler: Master of the Mask is off to such a great start, let's examine seven reasons why it's poised to become the best historical drama of the year. 

1. This series starts like a Hollywood fantasy film.

It seems like the king is joining a secret organization in the Western world when he is drugged to become a Pyeonsoo-hwe member. The ritual looks so familiar you have to do a double take to remind yourself it is indeed a K-drama. You wonder if he will obtain supernatural powers after this scene.

Spoiler

43b58520-a9a0-419a-baf7-96abe7f7c565.PNG

2. The crown prince was born a rebel.

Baby Lee Sun was so tough he fought off poison and became immune to it at an early age. No poison on earth can stop him. 

Spoiler

624e8c11-4953-4138-bfcd-887532b6fa5a.PNG

3. It gives us Scarlet Heart: Ryeo feels with the mask.

When a hot prince wears a mask, you can't go wrong! Especially if he is next in line for the throne. He'll be one sexy warrior.

Spoiler

f23391f4-d3c3-4120-a207-31e8135707fa.PNG

4. We are anxious to see Lee Sun's (Infinite's L) transformation.

Not only will he be the prince's stand in, but there is a good chance he'll become accustomed to behaving like royalty too. Who doesn't want to see his Cinderfella makeover and watch him fight the real prince for Han Ga Eun's heart.

Spoiler

f125cabb-9d73-473b-b10b-9c155cebc2f5.PNG

5. Prince Lee Sun and Han Ga Eun (Kim So Hyun) have one of most epic K-drama first meetings!

While he was running for his life, he literally fell into his future lover's arms in episode 2. We see ladies being caught by the guys all the time, but never the other way around. K-drama couple goals! 

Spoiler

7e644a41-1fcb-4f27-8bc5-34694ab3c02d.PNG

6. The crown prince is gorgeous.

Everyone knows Yoo Seung Ho is adorable. Forty episodes with him will be absolute heaven.

Spoiler

13843baa-678d-423d-b73b-6edf13c1f189.PNG

7. This K-drama promises to have a killer soundtrack featuring K-Pop royalty. 

The BEAST turned Highlight member, Yang Yoseob, is already slaying for the very first song off the soundtrack. His emotional single "I Couldn't Cry Because I'm a Man" was released yesterday. We can wait to hear the rest of the OST!

Spoiler

Video Credit: Danal Entertainment's YouTube Channel

1983610.jpg?w=640&h=372&crop=1

YANG YO SEOB – COULDN’T CRY BECAUSE I’M A MAN (남자라 울지 못했어) RULER: MASTER OF THE MASK OST

I’m quietly looking at you
At your turned back
My hands reach out to hold onto you
But my feet are frozen

My misery holds onto my ankles
My eyes on you are shouting out

Don’t stop, I might catch you
I’m not letting you go because I hate you
I can live well without you
So don’t look back
Before I change my mind

My cowardice hides my tears
My greed for you is shouting out

Don’t stop, I might catch you
I’m not letting you go because I hate you
I can live well without you
So don’t look back
Before I change my mind

I couldn’t catch you because I’m a man
Like a pretentious boy
Who thinks this is the best for you

Don’t cry if you loved me
I’m alright, if this was love
I’ll ignore you, pretend that I forgot you
So hurry and leave
I couldn’t cry because I’m a man

https://www.dramafever.com/pt/news/-reasons-ruler-master-of-the-mask-proves-it-will-be-the-best-historical-k-drama-of-2017/

yay ratings increased! realtime ratings were coming out lower than the pilot episode so I was worried but in the end it increased. I'm kind of iffy about the new episode split system they have going on at MBS and SBS because it's definitely affecting ratings. 

anyways here are some of my favorite scenes from the last episode (credit to the owners). I love how she catches him when he runs. It's gender reversal from typical kdrama plot haha. Am I the only one melting at how Seja and Ga Eun stare at each other? :wub:

also waiting for the ending OST to be released! That's my favorite one out of all the ones we heard. It sounds like an actual sageuk song.

Archived