[Weekend Drama 2016] Laurel Tree Tailors 월계수양복점신사들 ~ Starring Cha In Pyo, Ra Mi Ran ~

tikamacika

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the reports i don't think they are just one week into dating. That's too early to confirm the news imo its been going on for much longer but probably have to make it seem like its recent because LDG just recently broke up with his gf.

I really wish them the best hope this relationship works I think they are really good for each other and will be sad if they break up lol so i'm going to try and not get too involved :sweatingbullets:

I still haven't watched the last 2 episodes. Can't wait to catch up! 

9 hours ago, rileyelizabeth said:

Thanks for the mention @Lmangla!  I am going to miss dropping by to read everyone's posts here.  It's been an awesome six months.  I am really happy with the whole drama.  Also happy if Lee Dong Jin and Na Yun Shil are dating in real life.  All the cast have fantastic chemistry!  But, really sad to hear about Lee Dong Jin's mom.  What are you guys watching next?  I'm thinking of picking up "Father, I'll Take Care of You" again after pausing it at episode 25.  I wonder if it has improved.  Take care, all!  I'm missing Wolgyesu already, and am sad that there's no new episode to catch this weekend. :)   

@rileyelizabeth ~ am watching defendant and totally riveted. normally, suspense dramas can be so dark with both tone and lighting but here, it is enough of a light approach that we know there will be a happy ending and justice will be served. perhaps, because it is on a network tv, there are still many characters with heart that show a complicated human side. totally enjoying the brotherhood the drama is showing. was that enough of a hook to check it out? :D

probably will check out one of the new weekend dramas that air and see if anything catches my eye...

and PS ~ shippers, enjoy your day! :)

@hibiscus23 its from episode 29..That's one of the reason I feel their "weird" chemistry begin on episode 29 but clearly we all see them as LDG-JYH not LDJ-NYS since LDG breakup news. Yes I hope we'll see another new couple as CIP wished kekeke..And wish you all the best too chingu!

See you all in another thread (now im following Defended, Voice and  LDG-JYH thread of course) :D

2 hours ago, peggygordon said:

@hibiscus23 its from episode 29..That's one of the reason I feel their "weird" chemistry begin on episode 29 but clearly we all see them as LDG-JYH not LDJ-NYS since LDG breakup news. Yes I hope we'll see another new couple as CIP wished kekeke..And wish you all the best too chingu!

See you all in another thread (now im following Defended, Voice and  LDG-JYH thread of course) :D

@peggygordon thx chingoo i'll surely make note of this epis kekeke, now i see this news in hancinema, here's the link:

http://www.hancinema.net/the-gentlemen-of-wolgyesu-tailor-shop-lee-dong-geon-and-jo-yoon-hee-become-real-lovers-103622.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hancinema%2FAUJj+(HanCinema+Daily+News)

yes indeed hopefully the 2nd couple will be HW & LS? same to u chingoo, all the best & to all our chingoos who've been supportive of this couple/drama and we also feel like we're a Tailor family don't we? let's all go hv a reunion with these celebs in SK? LOL

see u on LDG/JYH thread - ah Defended, Voice are these 2 good dramas? see u again here & other chingoos either at LDG/JYH thread :D

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-added-final-episodes-53-and-54-captures-for-the-korean-drama-the-gentlemen-of-wolgyesu-tailor-shop--103627.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hancinema%2FAUJj+(HanCinema+Daily+News)

chingoos it seems we're over this thread? ev.body went to the LDG/JYH thread now? :) above link with more pix of finale, am sure we got some posted here already but i guess it won't hurt!

hope ev.body's slowly recovering from our fave drama! stay in touch chingoos! :dissapointed_relieved:

It's kind of sad that the wolgyesu store sign has been removed already.

But it's been moved to the connaly & wolgyesu store. Looks like some of the furniture is there too. I wonder if a real tailor shop brought the rights to the drama tailor shop name (or maybe it's one of the original sponsors of the drama).

@bajing I've been meaning to join you and write my final complaints (haha) about the drama and my top 10 moments, but I've been distracted by the off-screen news. I'll be back later in the weekend to do that.

March 4, 2017

Actress Lee Se-young Eager to Move Career Forward

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2017030400332_0.jpg

Actress Lee Se-young received favorable reviews for her performance as the daughter of a wealthy family in the TV series "The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop," which wrapped up on Sunday.

"Just when I thought I had totally lost myself in my role, the viewers came along and shared their love with me," Lee said with a laugh. "Good actors are described as having a thousand faces. But in my case, it might be one hundred faces." 

Lee made her debut on a children's TV show at the age of 5. Her cute appearance and outstanding acting skills won Lee roles in various films and dramas. But she took a break from acting when she was in high school and resumed her career after entering Sungshin Women's University as an acting major.

"The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop," offered Lee a chance to show her mature side and shake off her image as a child actress. "I'm already in my mid-20s. I thought it was time I showed a different side of myself as an actress. I was desperate to make a breakthrough and move on to the next level," she said.

Lee said she had received many fan letters. "I couldn't be happier if my performances make people feel comforted and happy," she said.

On 28/02/2017 at 3:45 AM, Rita86 said:

Reading the reports i don't think they are just one week into dating. That's too early to confirm the news imo its been going on for much longer but probably have to make it seem like its recent because LDG just recently broke up with his gf.

I really wish them the best hope this relationship works I think they are really good for each other and will be sad if they break up lol so i'm going to try and not get too involved :sweatingbullets:

I still haven't watched the last 2 episodes. Can't wait to catch up! 

So you're saying our current favorite couple, LDG-JYH, are a couple in real life?!  If so, 1) I thought it was really weird in one of the shows---she kept complaining about his sense of humour and that she wouldn't date him.  It was just odd  how she kept shooting him down for no reason.  Barely, anything positive to say.  I'm like what?!  It just felt like she was deflecting to keep the idea that they're not together.  2) the tickling scene. 3) lack of kissing for them.  I was like...hmmm

I just wanted confirmatoin they're  dating.  If so, he cheated on the model (I can't see him doing that).   The model and him broke up a long time ago and they waited to announce.  You guys know TPTB's in Korea would be out of control.

@vaberella yes, the news is all over now. Their management agencies publicly announced on 27/2. When they were on Happy Together, the filming for that was done in Sep and they would only have filmed only 3-5 eps of Wolgyesu so they were definitely not together then. Still not close with each other. As for the bed-shopping tickling and lack of kissing scene, those are much later, filmed in Jan and Feb, so who knows yeah? The formal announcement of break-up with ex gf (idol group singer and actress) was made on 2 Feb that they broke up in Dec. Just giving a sense of the timeline based on the public announcements. 

Anyway, here's a vid of Go Jae Yee's guesting or emceeing on a fashion/beauty show. LDG and Hyun Woo are roped in to say some things about her in the last 1-2 min. I wish there were subs of course as the other hosts of the beauty show seem surprised or amused.

16 hours ago, vaberella said:

So you're saying our current favorite couple, LDG-JYH, are a couple in real life?!  If so, 1) I thought it was really weird in one of the shows---she kept complaining about his sense of humour and that she wouldn't date him.  It was just odd  how she kept shooting him down for no reason.  Barely, anything positive to say.  I'm like what?!  It just felt like she was deflecting to keep the idea that they're not together.  2) the tickling scene. 3) lack of kissing for them.  I was like...hmmm

I just wanted confirmatoin they're  dating.  If so, he cheated on the model (I can't see him doing that).   The model and him broke up a long time ago and they waited to announce.  You guys know TPTB's in Korea would be out of control.

Yes their agency confirmed they are dating. Btw there is a thread for the couple if you want to discuss about them 

I'm currently catching up and 'im on episode 51. I have to say love HW's character more and more. I'm a bit upset she went back to work at Meesa as it felt DJ just gave her back that position which imo she doesn't seem to care for. Either way I'm happy she finally has something other than her boyfriend lol. 

Also love her relationship with HJ and how she tried to comfort her and look out for her. She's such a caring daughter, girlfriend, sister and friend. 

Hyosang: I'm surprised he was so understanding with JY. I guess he really did love her I never felt it in the earlier episodes but I can see now that he really does care for her. 

Finally GP, I'm annoyed at myself for feeling bad about this character lol. Suddenly I'm rooting for him to get over YS and find true love. I feel like deep down he's not a bad person just crazily obsessed. 

On 05/03/2017 at 2:16 PM, luvsdramas said:

@vaberella yes, the news is all over now. Their management agencies publicly announced on 27/2. When they were on Happy Together, the filming for that was done in Sep and they would only have filmed only 3-5 eps of Wolgyesu so they were definitely not together then. Still not close with each other. As for the bed-shopping tickling and lack of kissing scene, those are much later, filmed in Jan and Feb, so who knows yeah? The formal announcement of break-up with ex gf (idol group singer and actress) was made on 2 Feb that they broke up in Dec. Just giving a sense of the timeline based on the public announcements. 

Anyway, here's a vid of Go Jae Yee's guesting or emceeing on a fashion/beauty show. LDG and Hyun Woo are roped in to say some things about her in the last 1-2 min. I wish there were subs of course as the other hosts of the beauty show seem surprised or amused.

You literally, i'm not joking LITTERALLY made my mouth water.  I had to catch it in my hand. Girl, give me two months and then I'll join, I don't want this to be some BS thing for publicity.  

On 05/03/2017 at 8:48 PM, Rita86 said:

Yes their agency confirmed they are dating. Btw there is a thread for the couple if you want to discuss about them 

Finally GP, I'm annoyed at myself for feeling bad about this character lol. Suddenly I'm rooting for him to get over YS and find true love. I feel like deep down he's not a bad person just crazily obsessed. 

Girl, no matter how much I love and trust LDG for his skills.  He's been in long, long, long term relationships that have ended.  In all honesty, I think they might be a long term thing.  She would be able to make him smile, than be gloomy.  Not to mention, I did notice even if she bashed him about NOT being funny.  Girl was cracking up at EVERY morbid joke he made.  I'm good.

I'm finally ready to write my final thoughts and list my favorite moments. Even though the content would've been the same, I think my tone would've been slightly different if I wrote this last week (and before the off-screen news). Anyways...

I thought that the ending scene was perfect for the drama as it tied the end back in full circle with the original intent and feel of the drama in the beginning. It was meant to be contemplative and profound. Unfortunately, because of this, the flaws of the second half of the drama became so obvious in contrast. Instead of feeling satisfied, I felt that it was a pity. Pity for the "what could've been" as @bajing has mentioned. Even though I could try to ignore the elements I had issues with throughout the drama, there was still one pet-peeve that I don't think I could ever ignore. That is, the fact that DJ stayed at Meesa. On top of that, SD and the others refer to Meesa as the headquarters. If the story is suppose to celebrate the great 100-year tailor shop that makes not only clothes but also lives and memories, how unfortunate is it that the story ends with said tailor shop as the subsidiary, even if it's just symbolically and not legally, of a corporation for mass produced apparel? I guess if I spin this in a positive light, the "what could've been" further brings out the melancholic aura of the drama, since modern nostalgia is based on the yearning of an imagined place and time. And in this case, I'm just yearning for a hypothetical perfect drama that would've completed the special moments that I was charmed by:

My top 10 OTP moments:

Spoiler

10. DJ's reaction after they confirmed YS' pregnancy (ep. 53). I just love the scene where DJ kneels down outside the doctor's office and puts his hand over YS' abdomen in awe. I could feel his blissful happiness.

9. DJ and YS writing their wishes and then hanging them up at the temple (ep. 42). They just looked so cute trying to write the notes secretly and the way DJ helped YS hang her note up just felt symbolic, as it represented their commitment towards each other.

8. DJ's official wedding proposal with the banner and the potted plant (ep. 42). Not much explanation here, just found it too cute and happy.

7. DJ sending YS home and staring at her while she went up the stairs (ep. 18). I guess there's something old fashioned about this that I liked.

6. First snow scene (ep. 26). Not only am a hopeless romantic who would gush about the symbolism of the first snow, this scene also represented for me the first time the couple acknowledged together their feelings and a potential relationship.

5. "Hug" at the temple (ep. 16). This scene is actually quite cliche but I think that's why I liked it. It represented for me the official start of the romance. I also liked the effect of the OST being played at the heart-skipping moment.

4. Wedding pictures (ep. 37). Just too pretty, and since there was no actual wedding scene...

3. First kiss (ep. 29-30). The sacred kiss scene since there were no other actual kiss scenes (I'm not counting the pecks)...

2. Bed shopping (ep. 43). Since the couple went on a diabetes diet after their marriage, this scene helps me imagine the "would've been" sweetness of their actual married life...

1. After the night at the temple, DJ and YS spot each other yawning and share smiles (ep. 17). This is my ultimate favorite because it represents why I liked this OTP so much. To connect over the most mundane thing such as coffee, kidney beans, or even the basic human action of a yawn, is much more romantic than connecting through physical closeness or explanatory words. The shared moment is short and seemingly inconsequential, but it embodies memories and meaning, just like the small but meaningful tailor shop.

My top 10 non-OTP moments

Spoiler

10. The gentlemen doing the catwalk at the competition (ep. 22). I think this is self explanatory.

9. TP singing on the bus with DS and Dajung in the audience (ep. 42). A poignant scene that shows that success does not have to be grand. Being able to do what you enjoy, having people appreciate your efforts, and having loved ones supporting you on the way is enough.

8. MS' farewell party (ep. 49). I think that MS is the pillar of the drama. His wisdom represents the drama's core message. Celebrating MS' life and efforts is reinforcing the drama's message.

7. The fight at the bar (ep. 16). The first major bonding moment for the 4 gentlemen.

6. MS gives his advice to DJ over a voice message after his divorce (ep. 13). MS gives great advice (except the time when YS ran away), and this is my favorite one. An advice that everyone can follow in every circumstance: Life isn't about changing faces; it's about changing facial expressions. You just passed a certain point in your life. If you give in now, you will fail. If you get up and keep going, it will become an experience. No one can help you get up...you must get up yourself.

5. YS puts on the ring that DJ gives her and promises to live for herself (ep. 30). I've mentioned this scene before. Although it took YS several steps back to move several steps forward, just taking those steps forward is courage in itself.

4. TP cuts his hair (ep. 24). A momentous scene, not about giving up, but rather a rebirth for life's challenges and opportunities.

3. DS and TP's wedding (ep. 34). A perfect wedding without lavish details, just an important moment in life shared with the people who matter.

2. DJ and YS deliver a suit to be used as a shroud to the old man in Cheonan (ep. 5). This is the scene that made me put my complete faith in the drama (maybe I should've blamed this scene instead for the frustrations that followed!). I remember watching this raw and bawling in tears. Then I watched it subbed and ended up in tears again. With or without dialogue, the message the drama was making was clear. A suit is material, but in it is human dignity, and it transcends life and death. For me, the message isn't specific to a suit, it applies to everything we create. As long as it is created with heart, the item will carry a particular soul that is greater than the item itself.

1. Wolgyesu winning the tailoring competition (ep. 22). My ultimate favorite moment is when the group cheered "Wolgyesu, manse!" and danced around in a circle chanting Wolgye, Wolgye, Wolgye. The results of the competition were to be expected but the happiness felt by the characters seemed to explode out of the screen. For me, this magical moment was a synergy of the writing, the directing, and cast chemistry.

Basically, my favorite moments were mainly ones that I found most contemplative and emotionally captivating. As much as I have complained about the drama, I still find that the effect of these moments greatly outweigh everything else. Because of this, the drama will always remain worthwhile and memorable for me.

March 10, 2017

Creating the perfect on-screen love :

Actors Hyun Woo and Lee Se-young on life as the ‘Ahchoo Couple’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

10152438.jpg

Some characters never disappear from the minds of the audience even after the show has come to an end. A young couple played by actor Hyun Woo and Lee Se-young, who exchanged many sweet lines of dialogue throughout the recently wrapped up “The Gentlemen of the Wolgyesu Tailor Shop” have been hard for fans to let go. 

Lee and Hyun Woo were dubbed “The Ahchoo Couple,” after the song “Ah-Choo” by girl group Lovelyz was their theme song throughout the drama. Some have even speculated whether the two are dating in real life - spurring interest and pushing the viewership ratings to grow.

The two sat down with Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, and shared their experiences on working with each other over the past eight months. 

Q. How did you like getting the attention as a couple?

A. Hyun Woo: I have never gotten any spotlight for playing someone romantic. I have usually played characters who have a close friendship with other men, so the situation made me feel weird. People I meet when I am on public transportation have asked me how Lee is doing. They really seem to think that Lee is my other half. 

How was working with your partner?

Hyun Woo: She has a lot that I need to learn from. She is so nice and bright, so she became not only a fellow actor, but a good partner and even a wife. It was very easy to act with her. In real life, Lee not only is cool but also knows how to lead. She isn’t just the very cute Min Hyo-won with all of the cheerful characteristics but someone who [you can rely on]. Unlike her character, she doesn’t do that many cute things. 

Lee: Hyun Woo is a veteran actor. And we worked with each other for about eight months so our chemistry was good. 

Was it hard to act all cute in the drama?

Lee: I was the youngest on the set, so I need to be more [cheerful and cute] but I’m really not that kind of person. I feel so embarrassed when I try to look cute. I can do it better when I’m in good condition, but sometimes when I do it in the morning, it is hard to have a smile on my face. When that happens, I eat chocolate and try to smile more. 

One time, I turned the TV on while the drama was on and I saw myself saying “Honey” in a very cutesy way, and I just turned the TV off right away. I couldn’t really watch myself playing my character’s cute personality. 

What scenes do you remember the most?

Lee: There are some scenes of me kissing my partner and I was so worried if I would be able to pull it off emotionally. But, in the moment, I felt the emotions burst and became sure that I can play this character well. 

What did you think of the sudden actions from Lee’s character?

Hyun Woo: There were times we don’t do any physical motions when we rehearsed, and some [were done] on the spot after we started to film. That made me perplexed. I made a lot of mistakes when there was a scene where she approaches me while we were talking to each other. 

What’s your relationship with each other like in real life?

Hyun Woo: We are like business partners (laughs). We don’t really share those kinds of rosy moments. Since we both are busy, we become the romantic couple when we hear the word “shoot,” and we come back to our real selves after we hear “cut.” 

Lee: I wanted to make our relationship look more like a heartwarming one, but [since he said that] now I need to be cautious not to look like I have some feelings left for him (laughs). I thought it was better to continue our teamwork so we tried to show our chemistry together [which was shown on the drama] on other entertainment shows so that the audience can continue seeing us as we are on the drama. But now that the drama is over, the couple is done too. I understand why people hoped for us to actually date in reality. I take that as compliment and am thankful. 

BY PARK JUNG-SUN [summerlee@joongang.co.kr]

@rubie thx for the interview article of the Ahchoo couple, they're one of them i really liked watching the tailor drama aside from of course the fave OTP LDG & JYH! i also find their acting natural & realistic hence a lot of us viewers were hoping that they date in reality :) All da best to them & hope we see more of them in the future as in just their own love story per se! :) they're amazingly cute together!

What a wonderful drama! Does anyone know where to find the songs to this drama. Haven't been able to located many but, only 4 songs. There are so many instrumental music background and I want to know the name of the song which is played in episode 54 when Hyo Won is drawing Tae Yang on the rooftop. Please provide me links or where I can find the songs. Been tricky when the title of the drama is not consistent and I've had to either search under 'Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop' or 'Laurel Tree Tailor Shop'.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Archived