[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] General And I 孤芳不自赏

sugarplum892

but it's an everyday drama, so it will finish by March...  it's good and bad...  bad that we will see a lot of suffering scenes. good that we have loads of nice scenes to look forward to

9 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

Hi....

The books for this drama is awesome..... I have the translated file with me for month now.. but i haven't got around of reading this yet because I'm waiting for the drama to air first Lol... But i know that from the parts i see when i save the files.. i know I'm gonna love this book... BPT is a great character... CBJ only love BPT. And that's a fact.

Now moving on the drama... I'm really loving the visuals here.... and AB as BPT is unexpected because she's too pretty for BPT which has been said to be a ordinary beauty ( i have my own thinking about this but.. i think Chinese Old standard of beauty maybe different from the current Standard so.. Maybe she is that pretty hahahaha) I think AB portrays the cool BPT well.. so I have no issues with her and WC's portrayal...

Buttt.. I have major issues with the King's concubine... OMG... what the helll ... Lol... she is so annoying..... and in the trailer there's a scene where a girl is trying to kiss CBJ??? Sigh... Me thinks the writers takes too many liberties with this story.... 

62 episodes is very very long.... it could have give them room to follow the book closely and expand it just right... LOVE O2O is an example of a book adaptation done right... 

I'll continue to watch this show.. but yeah... that concubine makes my hearts boils... ///// flipping table.. 

20 hours ago, nanstarrr said:

i think i like him more in modern setting dramas. but will give this a try anyone know if it's being sub?

kiss asian 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the first three episodes of this drama and so far I like it.  Since the drama has over 60 episodes, I will wait until around episode 20 to decide if it is worth watching until the end.  Because it is a historical drama, I know that there will be a lot of suffering, heartbreak, backstabbing, betrayal, plotting, and intrigue.  I love the cinematography and the clothes are exquisite. I believe it is the third episode, where Chu Bei Jie takes Bai Ping Ting up to the pergola overlooking the water falls, the scenery is majestic and tranquil.  I wonder where this scene shot, the surroundings are so beautiful.

11 hours ago, makeuptemple said:

but it's an everyday drama, so it will finish by March...  it's good and bad...  bad that we will see a lot of suffering scenes. good that we have loads of nice scenes to look forward t

it'll finish on the first week of February
There are 12 eps / week. [sun-thurs 2eps/day, thurs&fri 1/day]

=== 
@Carmarie - it's CGI, the waterfall.. it looks fake actually. 

== 
there's an interview of AB & Wallace from SINA
http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/2017-01-05/doc-ifxzkfuk2181799.shtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p76n0TxZ_KM&t=3s

- AB found out she's pregnant during filming, she thought she was suffering from heatstroke at first (they filmed this drama in summer 2016, supposedly very hot & they are wearing heavy costumes)

Interviewer: You were pregnant while filming?
[Wallace’s reaction :) ]
AB: (laughs) I thought I was suffering from heatstroke at that time
Interviewer: Did you [Wallace] take care of AB at that time?
AB: I didn’t tell him [about her pregnancy] at that time 
Wallace: I didn’t know, so I didn’t take care of her in any special ways, we share… 
AB: He gave me his fan 
Wallace: When it’s really hot, I let her sit longer [in front of the fan?], so it’s nothing special, just want everyone to be comfortable
AB: There’s only 1 small fan, he let me used it 
Wallace: (joking) Honestly, I didn’t want to give the fan to you… 
AB: It’s so hot that he wanted to take off the wig

- The interviewer made a comment that AB looks very skinny, Wallace agree, he said he expected to see her look different {AB: Chubbier?}, but she looks the same.  She said she's hiding well with her outfit 

-AB praises Wallace & his Chu Bei Jei - that he's very mature, domineering, and a nice hairstyle (Chu Bei Jei's braided hairstyle).  When she see Wallace in costume her reaction is 'wa' (Wallace nickname is Xiao Wa, hence, she used ‘WA’ here), and then complain why does he have more costumes than hers / or his is prettier than hers (LOL!)

- Wallace praises AB & her Bai Ping Ting saying she is a smart, her crying is good, and very confidence.  When he see her Bai Ping Ting, he's like 'wa' (he's saying the same reaction as AB has for his Chu Bei Jei), that she looks very 'handsome'; she has some scenes where she disguised as a man.  In addtion, Bai Ping Ting is strategist, so she is even more 'handsome' even though in girl clothing there's a 'handsome' feeling about her 

- AB really likes Chu Bei Jei's braided hairstyle, said she saw the wig in the dressing room and really want to put it on.   Wallace asks her if she ever try it on? (Ha!)

- AB thinks she has improved on her crying scenes.  Wallace said Ping Ting crying scenes are really good, she thank him for his praises.  Wallace also mention that AB has really good memory, cos there are pages of script where it talks about strategy and stuff and she remembers it all really good, it's hart to beat her he said 

- On kissing scenes.  Wallace said he's following the director & act out the details the script

While they were talking about the kiss scene where CJB lift BPT up
-  Interviewer comment that AB's husband (Huan Xiaoming) also happen to be in the same area of filming, AB said it's nothing, he has shooting there, they both focused on their individual works. 

so then they joke about HXM filming them & act out a bit [pretty funny, it's at the end of the interview)

Wallace: When you are focused on your work, if there's a hidden camera filming you (looks around), or if he (Huan Xiaoming) is filming you, you wouldn't know (both laughs) - I'm just saying for example. 
AB: I'm actually imagining that right now 
Wallace: Just imagine how that's going to be 
(act out)
AB: Hi! 
Wallace: Oh?!  You're here?!  

@dancingbee 

Chapter 2 onwards -- in the novel she was sold to the Hua family as a maid.  CJB thought that Lady Hua is the one who play the qin that he loves so he guarded in front of her room for 3 nights, but those three nights Bai Ping Ting he met Bai Ping Ting whom he thought she's mute,  & he carry her to her bedroom one night because she was sick (love this part!!!)

In the drama, Chu Bei Jei threaten the Hua family to accept Bai Ping Tin as their goddaughter, he'll guard her for 3 nights then marry her 

The characters are there but the way it play it out in the drama is different 

On January 6, 2017 at 2:54 PM, apdy said:

it'll finish on the first week of February
There are 12 eps / week. [sun-thurs 2eps/day, thurs&fri 1/day]

=== 
@Carmarie - it's CGI, the waterfall.. it looks fake actually. 

== 
there's an interview of AB & Wallace from SINA
http://ent.sina.com.cn/v/m/2017-01-05/doc-ifxzkfuk2181799.shtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p76n0TxZ_KM&t=3s

- AB found out she's pregnant during filming, she thought she was suffering from heatstroke at first (they filmed this drama in summer 2016, supposedly very hot & they are wearing heavy costumes)

Interviewer: You were pregnant while filming?
[Wallace’s reaction :) ]
AB: (laughs) I thought I was suffering from heatstroke at that time
Interviewer: Did you [Wallace] take care of AB at that time?
AB: I didn’t tell him [about her pregnancy] at that time 
Wallace: I didn’t know, so I didn’t take care of her in any special ways, we share… 
AB: He gave me his fan 
Wallace: When it’s really hot, I let her sit longer [in front of the fan?], so it’s nothing special, just want everyone to be comfortable
AB: There’s only 1 small fan, he let me used it 
Wallace: (joking) Honestly, I didn’t want to give the fan to you… 
AB: It’s so hot that he wanted to take off the wig

- The interviewer made a comment that AB looks very skinny, Wallace agree, he said he expected to see her look different {AB: Chubbier?}, but she looks the same.  She said she's hiding well with her outfit 

-AB praises Wallace & his Chu Bei Jei - that he's very mature, domineering, and a nice hairstyle (Chu Bei Jei's braided hairstyle).  When she see Wallace in costume her reaction is 'wa' (Wallace nickname is Xiao Wa, hence, she used ‘WA’ here), and then complain why does he have more costumes than hers / or his is prettier than hers (LOL!)

- Wallace praises AB & her Bai Ping Ting saying she is a smart, her crying is good, and very confidence.  When he see her Bai Ping Ting, he's like 'wa' (he's saying the same reaction as AB has for his Chu Bei Jei), that she looks very 'handsome'; she has some scenes where she disguised as a man.  In addtion, Bai Ping Ting is strategist, so she is even more 'handsome' even though in girl clothing there's a 'handsome' feeling about her 

- AB really likes Chu Bei Jei's braided hairstyle, said she saw the wig in the dressing room and really want to put it on.   Wallace asks her if she ever try it on? (Ha!)

- AB thinks she has improved on her crying scenes.  Wallace said Ping Ting crying scenes are really good, she thank him for his praises.  Wallace also mention that AB has really good memory, cos there are pages of script where it talks about strategy and stuff and she remembers it all really good, it's hart to beat her he said 

- On kissing scenes.  Wallace said he's following the director & act out the details the script

While they were talking about the kiss scene where CJB lift BPT up
-  Interviewer comment that AB's husband (Huan Xiaoming) also happen to be in the same area of filming, AB said it's nothing, he has shooting there, they both focused on their individual works. 

so then they joke about HXM filming them & act out a bit [pretty funny, it's at the end of the interview)

Wallace: When you are focused on your work, if there's a hidden camera filming you (looks around), or if he (Huan Xiaoming) is filming you, you wouldn't know (both laughs) - I'm just saying for example. 
AB: I'm actually imagining that right now 
Wallace: Just imagine how that's going to be 
(act out)
AB: Hi! 
Wallace: Oh?!  You're here?!  

Oh, is that why most of wc and ab background scenes are fake/special effects whenever they are outside? Lol also it's obvious that whenever bai ping ting is on a horse it's never really ab herself

Whether it's in the drama or the book, I still feel bad for HX. I hated that he became so cruel but at the same time, if it wasn't for the King's betrayal and CBJ who destroyed his whole family, he would have still been a nice guy with a happy family. He & PT would be married and they would have a happy life.

What I like about the heroine is that unlike most other heroines, she actually played a big role in the conflict of the four countries. She wasn't an ornament on a guy's arms. What I like about her character is that she's gentle, but have a will of steel. Even though she seemed frail, but she has such an air that no one, men or women can bully her. She may be in love, but she doesn't let love rule her. 

Though the King, HX and BPT are friends when they are small, I think HX and his family do not understand the most basic principle of creating insecurity to the King with such military mights that the family possess.  It going to be sooner or later they will face the King's wrath.  It happens in every Chinese History.

At the rate the Drama is moving, I am not sure there is enough materials to last 62 episodes.

I have watched 6 episodes of the drama and read 9 chapters of the novel.  I am thinking that the drama and novel are telling very different stories.  Fans of the novel, can you tell me if you like the changes made in the drama?  I wasn't so sure at first, but I'm beginning to like their childhood link that explains Chu Beijie's persistence in marrying Bai Pingting and protecting her at all cost in the drama.  Very different from how he mistook her as Miss Hua in the novel.  Also, Bai Pingting in the drama is a walking military manual with a sage father.  Was this also in the novel?  I'm absolutely loving the drama, and so am kind of conflicted about what I'm reading in the novel.  =)  

1 hour ago, rileyelizabeth said:

I have watched 6 episodes of the drama and read 9 chapters of the novel.  I am thinking that the drama and novel are telling very different stories.  Fans of the novel, can you tell me if you like the changes made in the drama?  I wasn't so sure at first, but I'm beginning to like their childhood link that explains Chu Beijie's persistence in marrying Bai Pingting and protecting her at all cost in the drama.  Very different from how he mistook her as Miss Hua in the novel.  Also, Bai Pingting in the drama is a walking military manual with a sage father.  Was this also in the novel?  I'm absolutely loving the drama, and so am kind of conflicted about what I'm reading in the novel.  =)  

I actually read the novel after watching just the first episode because I loved the first episode and finished it in a day. That's how good it is lol. 

Honestly, I thought that the relationship between the two in the novel moved fairly quickly as well but you could at least see the development of the relationship. I also like the childhood link but it just seems far more unrealistic that someone can still love someone that deeply (despite trying trying to kill them) that quickly. I really wish that they built upon their connection more.

The Bai Pingting in the novel is also a walking military manual. Things in the beginning are more lighthearted and comedic but it gets sort of angsty in the middle and towards the end. There's amazing characters that are introduced later on and one of the couples is adorable even though I concerned about how their relationship started off. The happy ending is great though and I do like that none of the characters are portrayed as truly evil.

I really loved Chu Bei Jie's whole speech about "if you cannot protect your wife, how can you protect the country". Even Sima Hong was taken in by the speech that he spend a night over at his Empress' palace.

Bai Ping Ting admitted to He Xia that she had fallen for Chu Bei Jie and that her loyal to He Xia's family is now compromised and therefore for everyone's sake she was to leave. However, He Xia angered that Bai Ping Ting had fallen for the enemy told her that she was now a traitor of his family.

I really like the sincere brotherly affection Sima Hong had for Chu Bei Jie. Yu Bo who was in "Singing All Along" was a good brother to Yin Li Hua.

I just started reading the novel, thank you for the link, and there are quite a lot of changes/differences I guess they are deviating quite a bit and adding their own spin on it.

Also the drama seems to move so quickly and its not even ep 10 yet and so much has happened, when certain storylines could have maybe been dragged out a bit, I guess with the changes they can get creative but it is quite long 62 eps, will have to wait to check out how they will handle the characters/storylines.

Does anyone know how has the response been so far?

viewership is good, but I think expectations of this drama results to be very hot due to its huge marketing campaign but its return is just lukewarm. certainly not as hot as Princess Weiyoung

there are negative news of the actors not filming a lot of outdoors scene and just studio.  actors do film outdoor scenes but there are numerous scenes where they green screen which makes it look fake.  also drama is moving fast, we already at the falling off the cliff part.  

what's coming up from the book:

the death of the Princes.  BJ will hate PT thinking she has direct handling in poisoning the princes, though she's innocent but never explain to him 

She'll go to Jin and stay with him, but he's giving her a cold shoulder for a long time until she starts her hunger strike [want to die] then he gives him (we'll get to see the wedding in the drama, no mention of wedding in the book)

--

don't remember the last time he smile, but here it is from ep 11 when hear the news PT is alive, and that she's now the advisor to the Bei Mo camp, he said he's looking forward to the battle

8bbb006bgw1fbjj8v7r1uj20zk0k0tly.jpg 

click here for spoiler :D

75570b17gw1fbjobnwztij20yi0pu4qp.jpg

Archived