[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] General And I 孤芳不自赏

sugarplum892

Honestly this drama does have its' fair share of flaws, but I still like it much more than Princess Weiyoung mainly because I find the characters in Princess WeiYoung a little too annoying. The female lead is nowhere near as smart or even cunning as her character in the book. They made her too weak in the drama and a too naive. 

It's too bad that AB is pregnant when filming this. That does affect the mood and sequence of a period drama, since 95% of period dramas are mostly film outside. The characteristics of BPT is generally the same as the book but they deviate in the drama a little and made her character a little too serious. I think the producer made a mistake by not following the beginning of the book. The meeting & interactions between the BPT and CBJ were quite enjoyable and sort of funny. How he fell in love with her was also kind of cute, not as serious as in the drama. One thing is the same, whether it's in the drama or in the book is that the only one that has ever defeated CBJ had always been BPT. That was one of the biggest reasons why her name was a legend amongst the four countries.

They also changed a little bit of the 2nd war sequence. In the novel, she was forced to be involved because her best friend plead her to save her husband, setting aside temporary sisterhood. But here, BPT is still forced but not because her best friend plead with her, but did it to save her best friend's family. Also in the drama, CBJ went to war due to the manipulation of HX, wehreas, in the novel, CBJ did it out of frustration. He couldn't take it out on the Yen country because of the promise, so unfortunately, he took it out on the other country. The other country is more or less a collateral damage as the results of his and BPT's separation.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, faythe said:

It's too bad that AB is pregnant when filming this. That does affect the mood and sequence of a period drama, since 95% of period dramas are mostly film outside.

AB said she didn't tell anyone about her pregnancy while filming so it shouldn't affect how the director wants to film the scene

The used green scene for lots of scenes not just AB's.  There was one scene where CBJ recalls about them on a horse crossing that big river - the lighting of that scene was so dark, I doubt it's AB or Wallace himself in that scene.  

Wait till ep 12,13 even when Wallace embrace AB on the GROUND - they CGI in the backdrop.  I'd rather them have plastic trees and flowers than this.

Thanks @apdy for the spoiler pic.  I can't wait for that scene.  Is that in the book?  I can't remember....it has been so long since i have read it.  I do agree it is story is going fast i just hope that they have enough to pull through the 62 episodes and not have some crazy fillers to make us pull our hairs out.  

That concubine is just way to annoying!  Is she that annoying in the book?  She seems to have the antagonist role here and seems like she will make lots of trouble for our OTP.

4 hours ago, ktn1122 said:

Thanks @apdy for the spoiler pic.  I can't wait for that scene.  Is that in the book?  I can't remember....it has been so long since i have read it.  I do agree it is story is going fast i just hope that they have enough to pull through the 62 episodes and not have some crazy fillers to make us pull our hairs out.  

That concubine is just way to annoying!  Is she that annoying in the book?  She seems to have the antagonist role here and seems like she will make lots of trouble for our OTP.

The consort was in the book but only for 1-2 chapters. She was important in her own way but she was definitely a minor character and not an antagonist.

The story is going way too fast and we're already approaching the end of volume 1. I'd be okay with it but they cut out some of the best parts, like the initial interaction between the two characters which was ridiculously cute. There are about as many chapters as there are episodes in the drama so I was hoping that they would pace things a little better but you can't always adapt a drama from a book identically so I can see why they're doing things the way they are. 

I have to say that I'm loving that the drama is focusing on the relationship between HX and the Princess. In the novel, they kind of just get married and no detail is provided as to how they met and why the Princess loves HX so much. In the end, HX kind of just realizes that he loves the Princess too but there weren't enough interactions between the two for that to be such a quick conclusion. Maybe with the drama, we'll see how everything plays out between HX and the Princess (and BPT). 

By the time HX is mentioned in the novel, he is already prince consort and waiting to grab the benefits from the spoil of wars between Bei Mo and CBJ country.. Unfortunately it is spoilt by BPT but HX colloborated with Bei Mo's king to kill CBJ nephews.. What HX afraid is CBJ and when he is dealt with, nothing is left to stop his new army marching forward.. To the stupid Bei Mo King, HX treats him good.. :)

3 episodes in and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. I like the leads, and their chemistry works but I don't think that was ever in doubt. I feel encouraged to keep going. The Dramafever subs are actually not bad.

I'm glad I haven't read the novel so I have nothing to compare to and I refuse to read it while I'm watching it so I can judge it on its own merits. But 60 something episodes worries me. C-dramas are often good in the first quarter and it degenerates from around the halfway mark. Most of them are far too long.

I am enjoying this new trend in C-dramas though with intelligent female leads.

Hi everyone! I started watching since last Friday when I realised that this was on Kissasian.Then I found that this drama is also on Dramacool and 4udrama.This drama is also on Croton MEGA HIT Youtube channel which is the same one that has Princess Weiyoung and Love020.So I figured that this might be another good drama to watch:grin: I'm glad I started watching this drama because I'm currently quite hooked onto it. I'm reading the English translated version and also watch the RAW episodes the moment they appear. I've realised since the first episode that I shouldn't think of the drama based on the novel because they are quite different other than the major plots. The chemistry between the two leads are also quite good. Since the novel has a happy ending and the pictures show that their child grew up healthy and happy together with them, I'm watching this drama with the hope that the ending is happy too. I don't want to be broken-hearted in the end like when I watched Scarlet Heart. I doubt this drama would do such a thing to me though:lol:

Hi All

I didn't intend to watch the drama until all the eng subs were released however I saw the lovely themesong and got caught. Now I am impatiently waiting for the goodwill of the translators for the rest of the episodes. I'm so Chinese useless and it's even worse for historical drama.

I've been reading on a number of forums that the drama plot has deviated from the novel considerably. I think we should be honest with ourselves that as soon as the news was released that they were going to cast AngelaBaby as BPT who is far from 'average' in looks we should expect BeiJie to fall her looks somewhat. Although I do prefer the novel's initial meeting between CBJ & BPT, I completely understand why they had to change the direction of the drama. The director has to credit us with some common sense and more importantly, the plausibility of the plot and storyline. It's inconceivable that no-one wouldn't notice that she's very attractive despite playing down her looks with simple adornment and garment. On the contrary, I am impressed by the director's decision not to focus on that particular aspect too much as it would have detracted from the overall feel and intent of the drama.

Regardless of how she looks, BPT is a peerless female lead, smart, calm and collected under fire. What's there not to admire and like about her. Having said that, ABB is still missing something. I've had my reservations (I still do) about her acting ability and although I am enjoying the drama thoroughly I am still a little disappointed, particularly when she has to pull off some form of subtle but heartwrenching moments. Nice eyes but that's about it (sigh).

Don't get me wrong, she's definitely improved from her previous drama but we're talking about BPT, who is an interesting if not complex heroine. She is a female counterpart of CBJ except she's even smarter so you could just imagine our strong and intelligent hero, CBJ, meeting BPT who has definitely captured his attention like no other, and it intrigues him and then unexpectedly, although not unsurprising, he falls helplessly in love. Who wouldn't love a strong hero who has eyes only for the heroine and oh boy have we found a heroine worthy of CBJ. It's an absolute joy to read their interactions in the novel.

What I love about CBJ is that he is a flawed character. He is larger than life because of his status and ability as a general. He had to make some hard albeit ruthless decision but above all he is only vulnerable to BPT but it nevers renders him weak. Time and time again he wears his heart on his sleeve for BPT, he is uncompromising and unyielding with his decision to love her which makes him a memorable hero and I absolutely adore his character. 

Wallace has definitely captured CBJ's aura. His portrayal of CBJ as a complex, strong and fascinating character, is wonderful to watch. He may not look like CBJ but every smile, smirk and even the dazed, soft look whenever his gaze lands on BPT is just spot on. I am thanking the drama gods that they have cast Wallace as CBJ despite missing the mark slightly with ABB. 

I'm so pleased and have been very privileged to have read the translated novel. Admittedly the drama in some areas may not do justice to the characters but watching Wallace is definitely worthwhile.

Sadly, I am not interested in He Xia. He is a sad and tragic figure in the novel and drama. He could have chosen to make something of his life and the bad situation he was dealt with. Instead he wanted power and revenge, which unfortunately leads him into making some terrible decisions later in the novel and I suspect the drama as well which has self-destructing consequences. By the time he realises the errors of his ways it's all too late. Sometimes, you want to give the guy who's been handed a hard blow a second and third chance but sadly HX is too blinded by his quest for power and revenge so you end feeling sorry him because you know he would never truly be happy with what he has in life nor would he treasure it. Very pitiful.

I don't know much about the actor but he looks pretty handsome and nicely paired up with Jian Ting Ting.

I've been bursting to express my views regarding this drama so thank you for reading and allowing me to vent :) 

1 hour ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

Hi everyone! I started watching since last Friday when I realised that this was on Kissasian.Then I found that this drama is also on Dramacool and 4udrama.This drama is also on Croton MEGA HIT Youtube channel which is the same one that has Princess Weiyoung and Love020.So I figured that this might be another good drama to watch:grin: I'm glad I started watching this drama because I'm currently quite hooked onto it. I'm reading the English translated version and also watch the RAW episodes the moment they appear. I've realised since the first episode that I shouldn't think of the drama based on the novel because they are quite different aside from the major plots. The chemistry between the two leads are also quite good. Since the novel has a happy ending and the pictures show that their child grew up healthy and happy together with them, I'm watching this drama with the hope that the ending is happy too. I don't want to be broken-hearted in the end like when I watched Scarlet Heart. I doubt this drama would do such a thing to me though:lol:

7 minutes ago, hot_hot1975 said:

Why did CBJ wore a mask in the battle?

He's too attractive to be seen by mere mortals :sweatingbullets: 

Just kidding. They haven't explained why (and I don't think they will) but masks are often used in order for the wearer to be scarier to those that he fights. What's more scary than the unknown? It also gives out an aura of a "god of war". 

I'm watching ep 12. You have to admired BPT's brain and guts. She's gutsy but not reckless and that's what I like about her characters more than other heroines. She's not overly ruled by emotions or depended on someone to save her. I have to say AB does improved as the drama progresses.

I've only watched AB in Love020 with Jing Boran, and saw her on Running Man.  She seems like a cool girl in RL 

As for acting, there's something lacking in her emotional scenes, she can't convey much through her eyes.  There's always deer in headlight look when she's shocked.  I like her as BPT, she's a beauty.  Wallace did compliment her on her crying scenes, so we'll see more as the drama progress I guess 

Wallace, small frame compare to Sean Sun but totally awesome as general CJB.  He has the aura & like his eyes a lot.  CJB in the drama is a softy, I thought he'd be fuming mad at her after they fall of the cliff, but didn't see that... think the 'house arrest' sequence coming up, probably it'll take just only 1 episode for him to warm up to her again 

I think it's a general consensus that AB acting is not amazing. I think they could have found a better actress for the role, but she's doing a decent job. At least she didn't destroy the heroine like the K-version of BBJX. But honestly, I think the chemistry between her and Wallace works is all because of Wallace.The man can speak thousand words without opening his mouth. He always make his love line works because of his acting. I do hope that one day he will get to act with a leading lady of his caliber. 

1 minute ago, faythe said:

I think it's a general consensus that AB acting is not amazing. I think they could have found a better actress for the role, but she's doing a decent job. At least she didn't destroy the heroine like the K-version of BBJX. But honestly, I think the chemistry between her and Wallace works is all because of Wallace.The man can speak thousand words without opening his mouth. He always make his love line works because of his acting. I do hope that one day he will get to act with a leading lady of his caliber. 

36 minutes ago, apdy said:

I've only watched AB in Love020 with Jing Boran, and saw her on Running Man.  She seems like a cool girl in RL 

As for acting, there's something lacking in her emotional scenes, she can't convey much through her eyes.  There's always deer in headlight look when she's shocked.  I like her as BPT, she's a beauty.  Wallace did compliment her on her crying scenes, so we'll see more as the drama progress I guess 

Wallace, small frame compare to Sean Sun but totally awesome as general CJB.  He has the aura & like his eyes a lot.  CJB in the drama is a softy, I thought he'd be fuming mad at her after they fall of the cliff, but didn't see that... think the 'house arrest' sequence coming up, probably it'll take just only 1 episode for him to warm up to her again 

I agree WC acting chops is way beyond AB acting caliber.  I also hope that he gets to act with a good leading lady in his next drama.  But I do think that she is much better in this drama than the previous one.  I couldn't finish it cuz i can't stand her acting lol!  I am watching this one solely on WC.  He is a very good actor and I think WC as CBJ is really good and so handsome too lol.  I am enjoying the drama immensely because of him.

@apdy so the next event would be "house arrest"...it makes me want to read the book again but if i do i would compare the novel to the drama...ugh dilemma....dilemma...

LOL. OTP falling off cliffs must be another new trend in C dramas. :grin: But this one was much more beautifully shot.

CBJ is a great character. It seems to me that the more amazing BPT is, the greater he seems to be in my eyes. For a man to love a woman that much and even one that outwits him... well, he's out of this world. :sweatingbullets:

Really loving Wallace in this. I didn't like him in Tian Ya Ming Yue Dao but here he's quite wonderful. 

The only problem I have with Angela is her ridiculously bright red lipstick. I can understand her reticence in the earlier episodes as she's trying to hold back showing her emotions so it wasn't a huge issue for me. 

Archived