[Drama 2016] Beautiful Gong Shim 미녀 공심이

mysignisflower

Annyeong everyone :)

I just marathon 2 episodes of BGS and I like the drama. So happy to find another drama which interests me. Happy for Nam Goong Min's for his first lead role in a major channel. Its a change to see him smile so much in the drama.

Girls' Day Minah surprised me :) with her good acting. I enjoyed her acting in the first 2 episodes and looking forward to the next episode. I wonder if Gong Shim will have a makeover later in the drama or not......

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.. sort of predictable storyline..

but sthg is still fresh about it :)

NM plays of the jerk rude hero really well.. ( do see the hint of his last role)... :P .. actually curious to see his heart softening adn the romantic track to take off..

My first encounter with Minah.. pleasantly surprised..  character has shades of the lead female character from korean version of BOF.. but Minhah is so much better at pulling it off (lo and behold guys..the day she gets her makeover will those long tresses )

Villain ajumma- one who hit at gas station is so creepy

Nothing stands out for me or is spectacular... but sthg still connects :) ..

How are ratings? As in for weekend series a good rating would be in what range?

Also, are weekend dramas a better break or weekday.. curious and happy for N M to get his big break

Ooh. I loved this episode. I even spent some time smiling. Gong Shim is a hoot, especially with her paranoid way of reacting. She's adorable. It's also a little sad though. That little compliments like that get to her. It makes you realize how starved for love, attention and affirmation she is from her family. I doubt if anybody in her family has ever called her cute and it's a shame because she's adorable and so much more better than her sister. Speaking of sister, I didn't feel sorry for her with regards to how the president's wife abandoned her when they got to the charity gala. It was a taste of what Gong Shim suffered. For her sake though, I hope she realizes soon that she hasn't been acting like an older sister who has her sister's best interest at her. 

I'm actually thankful that Dan Tae pushed for the video, not because he wanted to press charges on Gong Shim's behalf (which was what I'd assumed) but because he knew that at the heart of it all, Gong Shim just wanted the woman to acknowledge that she'd done her wrong and apologize for the ill treatment. It wasn't about money or seeing the woman put in jail. But just a need for an apology and Dan Tae got it for her. Something her sister should have done but failed to see that that was what Gong Shim wanted. 

I know some people are of the opinion that Gong Shim got hired because of her looks or lack of. But I don't think so. Joon Soo's mother didn't take notice of her when she burst into the room or her ugliness was taken into account. She took notice when Gong Shim turned right around and put the man in his place, reminding him that secretaries are not geishas and that an old man like him could be likened to a dog. That was what caught her notice. That this was a woman who was intelligent enough to not be insulted by her looks and to put the lascivious men back where they belong. With a cheating husband like hers, that is exactly the kind of woman she wants as his secretary. It wasn't her looks. It was her acerbic tongue that got her the job and I'm positively thrilled about that :)

@Itenoria

Thank you for the above post. It was actually what I felt as well that Dan Tae did it not for the monetary value that could be had or the sensationalism but because I think as a lawyer he is a good judge of character and he plainly saw when GS showed him that video in his office how hurt she was by what happen (not just the physical) mentally that someone could treat her that way and she did not want to see it again to be reminded. He knew I bet given the times he has run into her and just seen how she acts that this is not a woman who is looking to profit but just needed to have that hateful woman apologize for what she did to her.

I do think that one of the reason GS accepted that apology (I do not think it was sincere but maybe this woman learned a lesson.. (I doubt it though) was because she saw her sister having to be nice to that woman , unfortunately GS does not realize that no one makes her sister suck up to that woman.GM is doing it all on her own for her selfish ambition. It will be interesting to see when or if GS finds out who really got that woman to apologize to her. 

The very sad thing is her sister said she would get the woman to pay compensation and apologize but she did neither of those. GS did not want money but she was owed a bit of respect. Gong Min completely only thought of herself and forgot to do what she said she would for her sister. I too do not feel bad at how the woman treated her at that charity event she deserved it. It was a bit of payback after the way she did her own sister. I want her law firm to find out that GS is her sister and GM treated her that way. I do not think GM will realize how she has done her sister until she is made to really face that she is not all she has been told she is. I think falling for Jin Soo will do it only for him to rebuff her and not be interested in her. I can see him now telling her she is just another pretty face. Or if he does not do it Dan Tae will. 

I find it funny she sitting looking up information about Jin Soo and Jin Soo was right above them with GS and Dan Tae.. It will be funny when Dan Tae will be found to be the heir of the company. I hope DT and GM have more chances to irritate one another. It will be a bad lesson for GM to learn if she tries to mistreat or belittle GS in front of these two men not knowing yet they not only know her but like her. 

I see them dismissing DT because of the way he dresses and acts and fawns over JS. Only to find out that DT is the heir to the company and a lawyer to boot. 

I agree as well that GS is starved for family love an attention. Unfortunately by the time she may get it it could be she no longer needs it from them. 

I too think that Jin Soo's mom like GS not because of the way she was dressing to look dowdy but because of her character and her ability to stand up and say what she needed to say. Those men needed to be put in their place. They where like a bunch of wolfs trying to be slick. She must have got her way since GS was able to get hired as Jin Soo's fathers secretary.  It should be very interesting to see how she fares in the office. 

The reason why I commented that GS was hired partially because of her looks is because, JS's mom doesn't want another repeat offense from her husband. Now JS's mom needn't worry of that ever happening on two fronts--looks and attitude, since her husband doesn't view GS in those ways. Had GS been beautiful and her husband and the other man at the interview responded to her differently, especially right in front of the wife, we likely wouldn't have seen GS's response to their behavior at all.

11 minutes ago, creidesca said:

The reason why I commented that GS was hired partially because of her looks is because, JS's mom doesn't want another repeat offense from her husband. Now JS's mom needn't worry of that ever happening on two fronts--looks and attitude, since her husband doesn't view GS in those ways. Had GS been beautiful and her husband and the other man at the interview responded to her differently, especially right in front of the wife, we likely wouldn't have seen GS's response to their behavior at all.

Only if she knew that her dear son will fall her which is pretty evident story line, she would probably chase her away! :w00t: 

I loved the episode. Had no idea about Minah but she is quite pleasant, few rough edges which will probably even out with more acting experience and rest are solid. I know I may be the minority but I pity the older sister. I think she has been put on a pedestal all her life and now she can't even admit she is having a hard time and very uncomfortable requests are being thrown her way at work or under performing to her own family. The sisters could have a better relation if only the parents were normal. I blame the parents.

BTW, her superior, what he suggested on her face the first day after she declined to entertain the old guy that was straight forward sexual harassment and she is lawyer and she is staying quite?? What an irony!

Welcome to the thread @alekaonu  (waves :)@enigmatic_zephy, @farahyang   welcome.gif

Viki still at 42% on ep. 2.   Still hoping they'll complete it today...

Below is a preview to the drama and 1st episode review

[HanCinema's Drama Preview] "Beautiful Gong Shim"

photo721736.jpg

Finding a romantic comedy drama that does not go majorly dark and depressing or then lose its coherence completely is hard. "Beautiful Gong Shim" promises a return to the good ol' days, where people trying to hook up with people happily was possible without major physical and emotional scarring. There is still a mean grandmother in the mix, but that is a rom-com staple in Korean drama.

Read full article on Hancinema

thank you to @Orion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Beautiful Gong Shim" Episode 1

photo724299.jpg

SBS's new Saturday/Sunday twenty-episode drama "Beautiful Gong Shim" was much more than its lackluster promotion. It was zippy, fun, and put two unique characters at the helm, Gong Shim (Minah) and Ahn Dae-tae (Namgoong Min). I have to say that I hope neither of them change much, save maybe to fall in love with each other. It's rare to find such refreshingly frank and straightforward characters on Korean television

Read full article on Hancinema

Thank you for OST part 1 @0ly40

Below are the English lyrics

WOO YE RIN – TO THE STRUGGLING YOU (힘들어하는 너에게) BEAUTIFUL GONG SHIM OST

On a crowded evening bus
When I rest my head and sit
As I close my eyes and listen to music
I say hello to the end of a day

People I don’t like
People I like
I had to see them with a smile today
I tell myself, good job
On my way home

Days I had to quietly swallow my tears
That fell without me knowing
Between all these busy people
Am I worrying too much?

You’re doing so well, you precious person
You’re a pretty person

Advice mixed with sighs
Words without expectations
Very small hopes
I tried to smile and comfort myself
On my way home

Days I had to quietly swallow my tears
That fell without me knowing
Between all these busy people
Am I worrying too much?

On top of my faded path
Even if everyone shakes their heads
I can do well, I comfort myself
Have a little more strength

You’re doing so well, you precious person
You’re a pretty person

source

[Spoilers] Beautiful Gong Shim + Flower in Prison

ff2.jpg

Sports Seoul - Nate: 'Beautiful Gong Shim', Minah, 'apology + employment', killing two birds with one stone 

1. [+412, -47] I never expected Minah with her monolids could give so much life to her character ~~ㅋㅋ And why is Nam Goongmin so good at sly tsundere roles? ㅋ Gong Shim's so much fun ♥

2. [+345, -32] The preview of her giggling while her head's covered up with a trash bag made me burst out laughingㅋㅋ

3. [+299, -39]ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Watched it with my mom, I laughed more than her.  So funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+69, -3] This drama is really good, why aren't more people watching? Saw the 1st episode by chance and I couldn't stop laughingㅋㅋㅋㅋ Minah's pretty good at acting, Namgoong Min is funnyㅋㅋ The lawyer and the chairman's son will fall for her which seems unrealistic but the story is fun ㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+63, -3] What role can't Namgoong Min do? ㅋㅋ I freaking love Gong Shim

6. [+54, -4] Found my weekend drama ㅋ

7. [+45, -6] You watch mindlessly and you find yourself laughing all of a suddenㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Can't wait to watch the trash bag scene next week  ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

ff1.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-05-16%2Bat%2B12.31.

Mydaily - Naver: 'Beautiful Gong Shim', didn't know Girls' Day's Minah would do so well!

1. [+929, -63] The plot is predictable but it's funny and gives you this squishy feeling. Minah completely let go of her image for the sake of acting. I can't even recall what Namgoong Min was like in 'Remember'~~ Ah this drama is very funny ㅋ

2. [+583, -62] Gong Shim's too cute whenever she rings her bike bell~!!!

3. [+598, -90] What's up with the fuss on her vocalization? I thought it's realistic. If anything, it helps me understand her character more  ㅋㅋ So much fun

4. [+468, -52] Fun drama...

5. [+463, -71] I thought Minah was just another pretty singer but I had no idea she'd be so good at acting too. I can see this hitting daebak. Broke my heart seeing her cry in the rooftop ㅠ

6. [+143, -17] Girls' Day members have so much talents

7. [+139, -16] I had no idea too... Namgoong Min's a good guide while Minah follows along really well. Ep 2 is even better than Ep 1 ㅠㅠㅠ

http://kkuljaem.blogspot.com/2016/05/spoilers-beautiful-gong-shim-flower-in.html

I am happy for Minah, she got the recognize she deserves. She def will only get better from this. Go Minah

On 15.5.2016 at 9:27 PM, ororomunroe said:

I thought JS and DT are first cousins? I think his Mom is the daughter since his Dad said he was related by marriage. 

On 15.5.2016 at 9:39 PM, Ldy Gmerm said:

I read somewhere or saw something that said they where suppose to be half brothers (typo I want to bet) but I think that you are right and they are cousins given what we have seen from the family so far.. 

First comment on this thread, my dear chingus.:) JS's father is DT's uncle. JS' father said that DT's grandfather was his father. DT is not related to JS' mother.

I have also seen it written that DT went to jail as well for a crime he did not commit (would explain his awesome fighting skills as well). It should be interesting to see if what I have seen on other sites are part of the synopsis and some sites did not incorporate it. 

Either way I am loving DT's character. He has a childishness and innocence about him even though I am sure his life was anything but calm. The trauma of being kidnapped and loosing his parents has obviously caused memory loss for him and I wonder what will be the trigger to bring it all back for him. 

Guest ororomunroe
20 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

First comment on this thread, my dear chingus.:) JS's father is DT's uncle. JS' father said that DT's grandfather was his father. DT is not related to JS' mother.

That doesn't make sense though. If Grandma had two sons, then why doesn't she count JS as a grandson? She said that DT is her only grandson. Maybe JS's father isn't her bio son? Such a cold woman.. 

7 hours ago, ororomunroe said:

That doesn't make sense though. If Grandma had two sons, then why doesn't she count JS as a grandson? She said that DT is her only grandson. Maybe JS's father isn't her bio son? Such a cold woman.. 

@ororomunroe, I read somewhere that JS was a product of an affair grandpa had. That's why....

@Misstwilightfan1416, thank you for recap info.

Namgoong Min or On Joo-wan ? - HanCinema Question of the Day QOTD

Which actor are you enjoying more so far in 'Beautiful Gong Shim'?

http://www.hancinema.net/question_of_the_day.php?idday=485

7 hours ago, ororomunroe said:

It's because DT's father must have been her older son so that DT would be the legitim heir of the company.

Annyeonghaseyo Chingu :blush: 

I stumbled across this drama by accident while majoring in the PhD of Procrastination (Exam's on Thursday....not on procrastinating but the actual thing I'm studying for :sweat_smile:). Haha anyway, wasn't really expecting much from the first EP but my oh my totally got sucked right in!!!

I mean look at him!! He's like my spirit animal :joy:

tumblr_o77uetlWbd1vpmpmko3_r1_500.gif

tumblr_o77uetlWbd1vpmpmko1_500.gif

tumblr_o77uetlWbd1vpmpmko2_500.gif

Cr: idleminds.tumblr.com

And not to mention these awesome scenes hahaha!

I almost peed my pants from laughing so hard :lol:

Spoiler

Not signed in

Anyway, gotta get back to studying. Peace out :tounge_xd: 

tumblr_o799icF9rk1qcagtxo4_r1_400.giftumblr_o799icF9rk1qcagtxo8_r1_400.gif

In my opinion, GM didn't really suffer very much, when her director's wife asked her to leave the party. Sure, she was embarrassed but she immediately looked at JS whom she found attractive. She didn't suffer that much compared to the mental and physical pain her sister GS had to endure. From my point of view, GM has learnt nothing from it. She saved her reputation and got even promoted on her sister's back. I believe, she will do it again. 

What bothers me the most that GM not only asked GS to drop the lawsuit, but she also never asked something for her sister. She didn't ask for the reimbursement of the doctor's bill nor an apology. In my opinion, she didn't act as a lawyer at all. She deleted videos (she did in the end something illegal). Sure, she was under pressure, but she could have act as a mediator. When she came back from home frustrated, she said to GM, you need to hear both parties. In the end, she never listened to her sister's demands at all. It was just all about herself and her interests. I know, GM has not it easy at the law firm, but she doesn't fight at all. She is avoiding conflicts and terrible situations by lying and using her own family. To me, GM has never learnt to fight for herself. Since she was admired at home, she always thought, everything was her granted. Then she enters that huge law firm and what happens, she hears harsh comments and disguised threads so that she is terrified and accepts her fate. In order to change her situation, she uses her sister and her family. As conclusion, after the two episodes, I can say that GM isn't just self-centered and selfish, she is also someone who needs to learn on the hard way that she can't use people in order to obtain what she wants. She is now aiming at JS, not because he is a nice person, but because he is powerful. With such a man by side, she will be respected. That's how she thinks: use people in order to have some respect. She did it with her sister and the wife of her director, although the latter didn't allow her in the end.

While GS had always have a hard time in her family because she has always been disrespected by her parents and her sister, she has learnt how to fight in order to gain some attention. She is abused at home, but her "fighting" skills show up outdoors. The way she talked back to the directors during the interview shows that she has no fear and she can speak her mind. She had no problem to call for the police, when she thought DT was harassing/bullying JS. She has always talked back to DT as well. She is a honest and frank person, the exact opposite of her sister who is more cunning and scheming. To me, GS is beautiful, she has no fear of getting judged by others. The way she walked among people so that she can walk faster illustrates her self-confidence and her will to stay true to herself. The only thing GS needs to learn is that she is beautiful and she has to realise that her family's judgement about her and her sister is wrong. I am hoping, that GS will become successful at her new workplace so that GM has now pressure at home too. GM is using her financial situation in order to look down on GS and I want it to stop it soon.

I am not surprised that GS is falling for JS because he is the only one who said something nice to her: she is cute. Even her main lead DT has not said one nice word to her. Sure, he helped her and he is indeed a nice guy. Yet, she has no knowledge of his intervention and he made fun of her wig. I guess, GM will try to get closer to JS as soon as she realises that her sister is his friend. It would be funny to see that she thinks, her sister is no big competition to her.

Archived