[Drama 2016] Moonlight Drawn by Clouds / Love in the Moonlight ☪ 구르미 그린 달빛

Maetawinz

Moonlight Drawn By Clouds: Episode 16

by javabeans | October 11, 2016 | 14 Comments

gurumi16-00548a.jpg

Despite my disappointment in yesterday’s episode, I was looking forward to what today would bring us, hopeful that it would do what this show does best in drawing meaning and emotion out of small, heartfelt moments and displays of interpersonal care.

We get a little bit of that, but I’m sorry to report that my hopes were not to be realized and what we have is mostly rebel political hour, which is at least a plot driver. I do wish that plot being driven were somehow more exciting or moving, but okay, at least it moved. We are not standing in the same place we were yesterday. That lining is a little silver-colored.

COMMENTS

Nooooo, Byung-yeon, don’t you go breaking my heart too! *sniff* *choke* *wails* Life is hard enough without you turning on each other!

I do follow Byung-yeon in this moment, since the show has been building up this internal conflict for a long time, showing Byung-yeon caught between his loyalties to the cause and to his friend. It hurts not only because it’s a betrayal of Yeong, but because we had seen that all series long, when pressed Byung-yeon always chose the prince—not necessarily over the cause, but he seemed to be willing to compromise in the little moments. I do respect that unflinching lack of compromise displayed by men like Hong Kyung-rae and Head Eunuch Han, because great change needs leaders to hold steady and make sacrifices along the way, but I never saw Byung-yeon as that kind of person. I saw him more as the alternate version of Dad that Ra-on and her mother longed for, the man who could believe noble thoughts but live for his family’s happiness.

So it’s a meaningful shift to have him reach that rock-and-a-hard-place moment, and finally have to choose, and I can respect that he picked the cause despite looking a little like he hated himself for it. I do wish the show had spent a little more time building up Byung-yeon’s thought process so that this final switch had a little more narrative momentum, because while I understand intellectually exactly what happened, I didn’t really know why it happened now. It would have landed with more impact if something had happened to demonstrate just why he had to divorce himself from the idea that the prince was his friend; his traitor boss reminded him of that yesterday, but I didn’t really feel why that was true. I wish the show had pitted him in direct ideological conflict with Yeong, or forced his hand a different way that explained why he made this choice in this moment. Basically, if you’re going to rip my heart out, I want you to really do it good and proper—why leave it bruised when you could leave it shredded and bleeding?

(I’m still holding out for a last-minute revelation in the next episode to show us a twist, but for now, there’s nothing to do but go with what the show has shown us. My hope is alive, but knows better than to get too confident.)

I was dearly hoping today’s episode would be the turnaround that I was dying for, but found myself disappointed again by episode’s end. It’s not that the show logic-failed on me, or had characters acting out of character, or went off the rails—nothing so dire as that. But today kind of felt like every Episode 16 of every Joseon fusiony sageuk I’ve seen in the past six or seven years, and as such felt extremely paint-by-numbers: political machinations, claims of treason, noble victims, torture, prison, tribunals and interrogations and gloaty ministers. Basically, it made this drama feel ordinary, without the magic that has made this show so special in prior weeks.

That doesn’t mean this show has suddenly become bad, and as ever, the strong directorial hand really elevates things. The moment when all goes silent as Ra-on braces for death, and the vocals start in without instrumentation—that was a spine-tingly great beat. Any moment that hinged on strong emotional acting was well-executed (even when I didn’t like what was necessarily happening plotwise). Hong Kyung-rae’s righteous defense in the torture chair was another highlight, and part of why it was so effective for me was that it was a melding of the personal and the political, which is the best kind of political. (The rest of the political maneuvering was cold and strategic, and thus less compelling.) And it was definitely encouraging that Yeong found a common ground that nobody else could see, providing hope that where swords and coups and plots fail, his brains might succeed in finding a solution.

But even so, I feel like the dip is distinct and disappointing because the she show has spoiled me by always delivering at least one really rewarding emotional exchange or development per episode. It doesn’t matter if that gratification is happy or sad, since sadness can pull the heartstrings effectively when done well, but today it started feeling like we were spinning our wheels a bit. And I involuntarily laughed out loud when Yeong and Ra-on ran into each other again, despite the epic, tearful, final goodbyes they’d already exchanged multiple times. (Speaking of comical repetition, must we have Ra-on abducted from behind in every other episode? I love this girl as a person, but I am getting mighty exasperated with her role as a character; her narrative purpose has suffered greatly as the show has progressed, and now her narrative function is almost only ever bait, trap, or object of affection. I just want her to do something active again. I would even prefer her doing something careless or dangerous to doing nothing and getting bounced around as plot device, although really, those can’t be our only choices. Resourceful, witty, sly, stealthy, helpful—any of those things are vastly preferable.)

I’m bummed that this week killed some of that extra something special in my heart, because without that bit of magic, I feel like all the little flaws suddenly seem more jarring, more noticeable. There’s a Korean saying about how being in love is like having bean chaff lodged in your eyes, i.e., blinders on to flaws, and I feel like something this week pushed me past the tipping point and shook the bean chaff away, and it’s changed the way I look at the show a bit. I’m still clinging to my hopes as we head into the final week, because we’re so close to the end and I’d rather be optimistic about it reaching a satisfying conclusion. I’m looking forward to that happy ending we’re totally getting next week, where Yeong and Ra-on live blissfully together forever and the bad guys are punished and all of the happy relationships are restored. I will accept no other realities.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/10/moonlight-drawn-by-clouds-episode-16/

• Like 10

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

No idea about the rings, but I'm hoping for couple hanboks in the final episode!

kekeke I am sorry but the word couple just got stuck in my mind, so Ra-On and Lee-Yeong in a paired hanbok. I think this would suet our Crown Prince with pose and all 

Spoiler

16e4f99d4d53e54fb5313c072504b078.jpg

Golden-Girls-Hysterical-Laugh-Gif.gif

• Like 18

5 hours ago, Jillia said:

I don't know if this has been talked about yet but I wondered why Lee Yeong showed Ra On the room with the spindle... and then we got a shot of the two sitting next to eachother and the spindle in the front. (I'm going to ignore their conversation and will talk about it another time)

So I had to look it up and I don't know if I should post this because it will send some of my fellow Moonlighters to YeongOn heaven but:

Reveal hidden contents

We know the spindle from fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty but the spindle has a deeply esoteric meaning as well. In Sleeping Beauty the Princess is waiting in her sleep for the man to find her and to wake her up with his true love and a kiss. Many sources say that with the kiss the Princess woke up and became a woman, marrying the prince at the end of the fairy tale. So even though the spindle is considered as a evil object - because the princess pricked her finger on the spindle and fell into deep sleep there is also a whole different meaning to it.

"It is also seen as a passage to sexual adulthood. The spindle, according to Bruno Jockel, can also be a male symbol directly implying sex."

and:

"[...] the sleep is symbolic of the wait for sexual fulfillment. It comes at the end of childhood and is a way to prepare Brier Rose for a later "sexual union." (Bettelheim, p. 232) She spends these years withdrawn and in inner reflection. The sleep may delay her eventual sexual maturity, but in the end, it will happen and with as much glory as ever."

I'm NOT saying that Lee Yeong and Ra On had sex after this scene but I think if PD-nim and writer-nim understand the meaning of the spindle - and by putting it right in front of the shot I think it's clear they do - and knowing they can't go with the hot scenes from the novel this is their subtle way of telling us whatever it is between Lee Yeong and Ra On there is definitely more between them then just kisses and a sweet little touch here and there.

If you want to read more on the topic you can visit THIS website! :)

And with that I'm off to bed, chingus! ;)

OH MY GOAT! Jilliaaaaaaaaaaa! You! Aarrrrgghhh 

I'm in the middle of work, and now that word stuck in my head! 

spindle spindle spindle spindle spindle spindle spindle spindle spindle spindle spindle

Now that you've shed light on the symbolism, I'll definitely see and feel differently when I watch the scene later.

My poor pervy heart...

• Like 22

How I love a happy ending but how will they explain fortune teller telling evil premier Kim that CP and his grandson will die early ?

unless their fate changes when Raon came into the picture ?

i don't care how they do it but don't kill off CP and the evil Kim's grandson . This is after all Kdrama and not supposed to be based on real life . 

• Like 9

I think they were close physically since CP carried her on his lap and they 'laid' in the same bed together. Thats how close they got. 

As for other intimacies, we are not privy to know the details of course. haha 

SOmehow the intimacies in this show work on the premise of less is more, hence such bombastic chemistry! 

THat can only be achieved by such good acting by our actors.

• Like 22

3 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I missed you all as well, @Earth2KatyD! I wish my RL could stop until this drama is done airing AND I have nothing to discuss about it anymore. :D Being an adult is hard and living in a timezone in which people have to work while the drama is airing live it even harder. ROFL *flips tables*

True.. Don't you wish you're filthy rich so you don't have to go to work and just watch kdramas all day long? That would be something, huh? :lol: Kidding aside, it's wonderful to know that we can always find you here (whenever you're available) sharing away your discerning thoughts and informative facts about everything MDBC. Thank you for being here @Jillia :)

• Like 14

1 hour ago, wen5471 said:

I pity the actor who plays King. Why do they write his character to be such an epic failure whose sole existence in this show is to be a sissified arm flailing, jelly-brained, eye ball popping nuisance?

l think if i am that actor, l'd go on an acting strike till they write me a part with a saving grace. Hmph! 

I m still hating on the King.. Burn, King, Burn. 

@wen5471

If the actor's acting can bring out these strong emotion from the audience, it means he has done very well indeed. The plot requires a very weak King to justify the uprising of HGN and his rebel group and be easily manipulated by the Kims. Our CP surely will learn not to repeat the mistakes by his father.

I would love to see him turns to Premium Kim and commands " Chop his head!!". They can show Premium Kim wtf expression as his head rolls. Well one can only hope. Lol.

• Like 15

I totally agree with the Java beans write up about this week's episodes. I feel that this plot twists should have happened last week or incorporated bits in somehow. I loved there was no wedding BUT i did not like how HY was like "I'm only the crown princess and not your wife but i was allowed into your room, no problem...blah blah..." i didnt like that line not sure what the intent was but to give her false hope. I feel the PM character really dragging out, how many times does it take to nail them with something. I missed the witty raon that we got at the beginning of the series, if she was going to be kidnapped could there be more of a fiesty girl and how did she get kidnapped from theach " secret room" we could have gotten a but more dialogue from her and between the two. Although PBG is doing  amazing protraying his role, i wonder why they had to scale back on KYJ. Plus where did her grandpa go?? I assumed he was one of the major players in helping PC take down the damn ministers. It will be sadness if we only get a 15min glimpse of them together and hopefully she is not dressed as a boy then the end. 

• Like 14