On 11/6/2016 at 6:27 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

The drama overall is applauded, but there was some shortfall.......name dropping great historical figures of the era which never materialise. As for Dae Jang Geum being mentioned to make an appearance, I think it is more MBC aspiration than Lee Byeong Hun. Im Kkeok Jeong was mentioned & his warrant for arrest poster was shown. Hwang Jini was just mentioned once by name

Ok Nyeo was suppose to have a name change of Yi Seo Won but it didn't happened. In the beginning they had chose to kept Ok Nyeo identity as a pandora box & tested the audience waters to steer directions. Jin Se Yeon is commendable in her portrayal as Ok Nyeo & kept pace with drama, adding wuxia (martial arts) skills with her physical agility & also sprint like Usain Bolt in a hanbok. Ok Nyeo using her wits to get out of sticky situation 

@gerrytan8063  Yes I agree some parts of this drama could be applaued but the majority of it just disappoint.. We never got to meet others thats was supposed to make appearances but didn't it just focus to much on JNJ and Lord Yoon evil doings and for this it falls short of my expectations of this show.. If I watch this one again I'll be insane when there's so many olde but goodies still around to watch..

On 11/6/2016 at 9:31 PM, jadecloud said:

Likewise, thanks to all in this thread who watched along together. @valsava, yes I will be watching that upcoming sageuk in the spoiler. For support of LYA's comeback, I have to :) But seriously, I think it will be pretty interesting. I LOVE SAGEUKS!

@jadecloud  So far the ones I really enjoyed this year are Royal Gambler, MLSHR (my personal favorite) also the one as the sequel to tree with deep roots.. I kind of put this one in the don't ever watch again pile.. It could have been so much more better but some where along the lines the writer got to hook on JNJ character with her gang I tell you the drama should have been her life story..

Well until our next Saguek hope to see everyone around real soon..

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, guys!

How are you this fine day?

Now that this show's over, I literally felt like a huge part of my life had been lost. Because I have always marked the week with TFIP episodes, strangely, now the days just seem to pass by slower than usual, which I can't help but feel sad about.

Anyway... It's finally over. And it was a bittersweet journey. There were so many things I both loved and hated in the drama, but of course, as you know me, OkJong being half-siblings has what really ruined the whole show for me. LOL. Surprise!

For the bad, here they are:

1. It took the last episode and the death of her most loyal and kick**s bodyguard for Ok Nyeo to actually kill someone. I mean, come on! She's a fighter who fights thugs that kill people without thought. And Ok Nyeo should be a killer, too, not because I'm a psychopath but because that's the realistic side of things.

2. Shin Hye: She was bratty and all, but seriously, the drama could have made something better outta her. Like realizing her family has erred and decided to make up for it by serving the people or some such thing. I mean, she was just regular rich brat - she was not aware of how much evil her parents had done. And imagine being the daughter of murderers and traitors! Playing that out on screen could have been very interesting, if only the writer and the director decided to show it. Since she wasn't executed along with her father, I just thought they should have given her character something. You know.

3. Queen Dowager's death: way too easy and very unrealistic. Very unsatisfying. And please, we just glossed over it as though the Evil Queen had only done minor evil things. She was the one who protected the lesser Yun and encouraged them to murder LOTS of people but she exited like she was just a minor player of evil. Totally disappointing!

4. Nan Jung and Lord Won Hyun's death: Also very unsatisfying. Nan Jung poisoning herself, well, I can accept that 'cause that's what actually happened in history. But Won Hyung? I thought he was supposed to be executed, along with his family? The man was supposed to have his head chopped off, or his limbs quartered. Or his heart rammed thru a stake. Oh, well. Maybe for Tae Won's sake, this is better. *sign*

5. Tae Won: his character development made zero sense since episode 1. His revenge, his misplaced anger and hatred, his thug-playing days, his becoming merchant. I mean, he was also the one who brought up the existence of Weiji-bu and the one who "professed" he had always wanted to be a lawyer. But all throughout the past episodes he didn't even show the slightest indication he was into law or protecting people or fighting for justice through the court of law. I had expected that from Ok Nyeo, Treasurer Ji, The King, even Woo Chi or Song Ji Hun... but never from Tae Won.

6. OkTae: this ship was planned from the very beginning, so I wonder why it didn't panned out as beautifully as I had expected? Three answers: sloppy writing. Rushed script. Zero character interweaving. And not to mention that to keep the ratings up, the writer/director introduced love triangle with the result of the majority vying for the 2nd lead - which is the King. I bet they didn't see that coming!

7. Side characters who got more screen time. 'nuff said.

8. Song Ji Hun: he could have been a glorious character, but nope. He was just lucky he ended up alive at the end of this show.

9. Ok Nyeo being a Princess and her secret birth and identity, which were so overused and cliche. I wouldn't mind actually if we had this plot, but please, if you're gonna use it, at least use it effectively. Get my drift?

10. Weiji-bu: You're lucky you've seen daylight, even only for a few seconds.

11. Other important characters who just mysteriously "disappeared." I'm just gonna pretend they got sucked in a wormhole; makes it easier to accept. LOL.

I know that sounded depressing, but ok, for the good, here they are:

1. Jin Se Yeon got to do an amazing character. Ok Nyeo was sloppy sometimes, but most of the times she was wonderful and amazing and beautiful and I loved her despite all her flaws.

2. Seo Ha Jun: my newest bias next to Se Yeon. Thank you, drama, for introducing me to this hot oppa who is gloriously handsome and macho and manly. I hope he gets reunited with Se Yeon soon. Hehe...

3. At least almost all main leads are alive in the end, including the King. :) Something to smile about, yes?

4. At least the main evil dudes are dead. Gone. Yipee!

5. Ok Nyeo was able to become a Princess and fight for people's rights through Weiji-bu simultaneously, with Ji Hun as the judge, no less!

Final thoughts:

For me, the drama ended with that scene where the King was standing in the courtyard in his regal robe, watching and waiting as Ok Nyeo emerged from her Royal palanquin; his eyes shining with love and pride and joy - and then as she walked toward him, as he watched her come closer, he smiled and called out her name. And bam! The end! Haha... That scene, for me, is the ending. Sorry, guys. But seriously, OkTae is the "supposed" OTP but OkJong had the most memorable moments. And honestly, that scene I mentioned above? That felt like a "king welcoming his long-awaited, much beloved bride," rather than a "brother welcoming his sister into the family."

Anyway... Guys, thanks a lot for your insights and opinions and spazzing with me. You're awesome. I'll see you all in another drama thread. And also, I have started work on my novel, "In the arms of a Commoner." If you're a frustrated OkJong shipper like me, just PM me for updates and stuff about the novel.

:)

Just finish watching this drama, I actually went on a 5 day marathon of Flower in Prison. I waited for it to complete before watching bcos hate the long breaks between new episodes. Have always enjoyed pd Lee Byung Hoon's work from DJG to Horse Doctor. Love the drama but was little disappointed that little of the 'Wae ji bu' thing was presented in the drama, it only came towards the end. I enjoyed the comic relief but there was too much of it at times.

@djappleblush agree with some of your points. Queen Dowager died too easily and what happen to the palace guard, who escaped with Ok Nyeo's mom? was he given a royal pardon? yeh! they got sucked in worm hole.

Anyway great drama. 

On 11/13/2016 at 8:03 PM, 1451 said:

http://tvcast.naver.com/v/1236872                                         

http://tvcast.naver.com/v/1236865/list/100061

@1451, you are still loyal here with the latest information.  Thank you for the links.  I miss ON and her adventure.  If I'm going to watch it again, I will skip most of the part of JNJ and YWH's scenes.  ;)

Oh yes, lucky us when we watched the drama, we did not know what was going to happen.  Thus, we were able to speculate, made a lucky guess, etc.  However, for those who are just going to watch it, spoilers are everywhere.. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Year end is here...so the Korean major broadcaster are lining up their awards gala

This year 2016 MBC Drama Awards will be held on 30th December 2016 KST 21:30

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/event/2016mbc/

Flower in Prison is nominated for Viewer's Favourite Drama & Best Couple that is open for viewers vote

31144038303_a32a1d3598.jpg

Seo Ha Jun & Jin Se Yeon are nominated for Best Couple

31836784891_dd364974d1.jpg

MBC Drama awards categories are as follows

Grand Prize (대상) is given to the best actor/actress of the year. 

Drama of the Year (올해의 드라마)

Top Excellence in Acting Award (최우수상)

Excellence in Acting Award (우수상)

Golden Acting Award (황금 연기상)

Top 10 MBC Drama Stars is awarded to actors who have shown talent, hard work, and star power during the year. 

Best Supporting Actor is given to the actor that showed the most talent and presence in a supporting role. 

Best New Actor/Actress (신인상)

Best Young Actor/Actress (아역 연기상)

Writer of the Year (올해의 작가상)

Producer's Award (프로듀서상) or PD Award (방송 3사 드라마 PD가 뽑은 올해의 연기자상) is given to the best actor/actress, as determined by PDs from all three broadcasters. 

Popularity Award (인기상) or Netizen Popularity Award (네티즌 인기상) 

Best Couple Award (베스트 커플상) is given to the best drama couple/s as voted by the netizens. 

Viewer's Favorite Drama of the Year (시청자가 뽑은 올해의 드라마) 

Live Stream.....

Flower in Prison in 2016 MBC Drama Awards Part 1

Flower in Prison attendees

L-R Jeong Da Bin, Jeong Jun Ho, Jin Se Yeon, Seo Ha Jun & Choi Tae Jun

20161230095942_997177_600_449.jpg

Clockwise - Jeong jun Ho, Seo Ha Jun, Choi Tae Jun Jeong Da Bin & Jin Se Yeon

Suit Jacket wore by Seo Ha Jun & Choi Tae Jun is sponsor by Piacere & Co

20161230100142_997180_600_322.jpg

Jeong Da Bin wins  Best Young Actor/Actress (아역 연기상)

2016123019304123934_1.jpg

Jeong Da Bin Acceptance Speech

Annyeonghaeseyo, I am Jeong Da Bin. it is through the drama Flower in Prison that I was able to receive this award....Thank you very much. Flower in Prison PD Lee Byeong Hun who had allow me to act in this drama, also PD Choi Jeong Gyu, Writer Choi Won Gyu. I need would like to thanked them very much & also the Sunbaenims that was on the shooting set who have render me guidance & directions & the production teams staff....I will like to thanked everyone. My father & mother who always had render me heart warmth at home, my sister Da Soon Eonni, Yun Seok yi (sibling that is younger than her), also my paternal grandmother & grandfather & also my maternal grandmother & grandfather. I wish you all the best of health & also the person who always make me up to look so pretty Yi Jin Saem (Saem 샘 is the contraction word for Seonsaengnim 선생님), Min Joo Saem & Hye Jin Sil Jang (Sil Jang 실장 is Head of Department). I will like to thanked them very much...I will like to wish you all Happy New Year. Thank you very much

Jeong Jun Ho wins Golden Acting Award (황금 연기상) for the category for Special Project

1L5G6PEJ8I_1.jpg

Jeong Jun Ho Acceptance Speech

Nice to meet you...I am Jeong Jun Ho.....What I think that in receiving this Golden Acting Award is throughout the course of arduous filming this drama...was able to be together with a group of Hubae (Hubae  후배 are Junior colleague) had render their utmost effort in their steadfast performance as their target therefore during the filming of the sets.....it is no difference to that of a swords fight battle...through the great efforts of hundreds of production crew & staff in their responsibilities, we will able to render such a birth of an accomplished drama. For the Hubaes who are in attendance here who have gone through & experience the arduous filming schedule of the drama

I too in 1995 it was here (MBC) receive the Newcomer awards, also together with the late actress Choi Jin Sil Subaenim acted in the drama (the said drama is 2008 MBC drama "The Last Scandal of my Life) together & received Top Excellence award & today I received the Golden Acting Award. it is great to receive more & more awards but then the responsibilities will become even greater...in the future I will be able to work with a group of Hubaes & in the filming set will able to contribute in my effort, I will do my utmost best

For many years, I had earn a moniker Assembly member Jeong Ui Won (의원), there is alot of people who have introduce & address me as National Assembly (국회의원) Member Jeong 

Yi Guk Jin: They still do now

Yes...until now they still many had say...then said...many had.....

Music comes on

I have not finished yet...the reason why I am being address as such...I often drink...this year many events have had happened...I will sincere wish for next year 2017 to be a cheerful year .....for our audience & our citizens will able to smile & laugh & feel that it will be a warm & loving year. I will like to thanked the audience who have seen the year long of MBC dramas that had render us the encouragement...for next year our MBC produce dramas will do their utmost best....that we will promised you

Finally.....although having surpassed the age of 70 but however able to remained steadfast to the wee hours, our drama PD Lee Byeong Hun, once in a decade script, Writer Choi Won Gyu...our PD Choi & PD Kim & the Directors of Cinematography & Lighting...the many production crew & staff who render their utmost efforts.....I wish them all a Happy New Year...& hope that the audience a Happy New Year too...Thank yo very much

Live Stream.....

Flower in Prison in 2016 MBC Drama Awards Part 2

Seo Ha Jun wins for Best Actor while Jin Se Yeon wins for Best Actress in Excellence in Acting Award (우수상) for the category for Special Project

2016123001002048700099591.jpg

Jin Se Yeon Acceptance Speech

Thank you very much.....really in the drama Flower in Prison....(choke)....just reminisce of Flower in Prison, will bring ears to my eyes...it is really....(choke then re-composure)...it is really a accomplished production that went through the utmost effort of 8-9 months or more. First & foremost there is many that I will like to thanked...especially I will like to convey to the person who had render his trust & believe in me from the very start to the end...is PD Lee Byeong Hun...he is really the person that I will like to render my heartfelt thanks 

Also....(choke)....what to do.....I am sorry...also really to Writer Chou Won Gyu, also to the production staff & crew who had to endure the arduous Summer months, also my Sunbaenims, also my sincere thanks to young Da Bin, also during in the film set, Young Guk Oppa & our Se Ryeoki who was laborious in their effort....my grateful thanks to them, also our Representative Heo Jeong Gyeong & also the hair & make-up stylist Kim Jung Jeong...also since morning who had started watching MBC & waiting, my grandmother...my family member...I wish to render my thanks. Finally to my fans...I will like to render my thanks...It is really that I will forever never forget this drama Flower in Prison...really will like thanked everyone

Seo Ha Jun Acceptance Speech

Annyeonghaeseyo, I am Seo Jun Ha. Firstly before coming to the awards ceremony, never would I had thought to receive an award or I probably will have come prepare with an acceptance speech but now I have a slight regret. Excellence Award, it is not because that what my current eligibility or qualification in able to receive this award...I definitely need to become an actor that will be eligible & befitting for this award...I render this award in my sincere heart

In the drama, with the guidance of PD Lee Hyeong Hun & Writer Choi Won Gyu & also the many Camera & Production crew & staff, the set production crew & staff....the hair & make up stylist, there are many I wish to thanked...my heartfelt thanked to each & everyone of them...& to those who in attendance below & the person who render me a lot of assistance, standing here the actreess Jin Se Yeon, also Senior Jeong Jun Ho Seonbaenim, Tae Jun & Kim Mi Sook Seonbaenim. I had received many Seobnaenim's guidance & assistance that I will like to thanked them very much. The year 2016 have been a dreadful year, alot of people had gone through perils & challenges. I hope that next year Jeongyu (정유, 丁酉), the year 2017 will bring the audience that is watching this broadcast & the family & friends who are watching & the love ones who is not shy to say I love you, no matter how short a word it is.....will able to have a warm & loving New year....I will pray for you to chase for that happiness & gain that happiness....Thank you very much

Archived