Episode 51

The Yi Dynasty siblings finds solace, assurity & absolution in each other embrace

Myeongjong asked Ok Nyeo permission, as her brother, he just want to give her a warm hug as Ok Nyeo pleas to Myeongjong not to give up living

30727075591_b7bbe10dc9_n.jpg30514485900_c3ee1c8123_n.jpg

Holding hands

30727630531_69a34bf2be_n.jpg30184057984_9bbd0fd871_n.jpg

Wipe off the tears

30815499625_c942e555b4_n.jpg30727138441_be2b71f38b_n.jpg

30514464900_264f44553b_n.jpg30727173641_2469e91765_n.jpg

The Warm Embrace

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 51

Yun Won Hyeong & Jeong Nan Jeong are given a saving grace in taking their lives - satire scene scene from Romeo & Juliet Death scene than to face disgrace from being executed. Jeong Nan Jeong was already looking screw loose

30179942733_a52e6b1ae8_n.jpg

Final Scene - Yun Won Hyeong finds Jeong Nan Jeong's dead body, rather than face life without her or death sentence (the sayak poison was making its journey), swallows the remainder vial of poison & dies holding hands as they both journey to nether world

1 hour ago, chasen8888 said:

Man Soo marries Young Ji who is pregnant, Man Ok marries Chun Dong who has him under manners.

IS MANSO WIFE THE GIRL THAT WAS QD PALACE MAID ,ON SPY?OR IS KONG JM NIECE?I CAN'T REMEMBER HER CHARACTER...AND HER NEW LOOK ISN'T HELPING ME...

Episode 51

I had wish that MBC could have given Ok Nyeo some decent Princess hanbok rather than recycling. The 2 sets Dangui hanbok that was conspicuously wore by the same someone else in another drama

Who wore it better

30180172553_8ef86dbc62_n.jpg

Ok Nyeo

30726820701_9609ab3a00_n.jpg

Dong Yi

30726768981_1274027b84_n.jpg

Ok Nyeo

30726827371_17edc9a31d_n.jpg

Dong Yi

The blue Dangui, the least they did some alteration to the collar

@andy78

" IS MANSO WIFE THE GIRL THAT WAS QD PALACE MAID ,ON SPY?OR IS KONG JM NIECE?I CAN'T REMEMBER HER CHARACTER...AND HER NEW LOOK ISN'T HELPING ME... "

Man Soo wife is Yeong Ji & she is the Musuri (servant) in Queen Dowager Munjeong palace

Yeong Ji played by Choi Ji Eun (최지은) was Ok Nyeo's  Sogyeokseo Damo & when Sogyeokseo was abolished, she was assign as a Musuri ( 무수리 , water maid) in Queen Dowager Munjeong's residence palace. Ok Nyeo had asked her to be an informant for her & report Queen Dowager Munjeong's ongoing at her residence palace. Yeong Ji is also the dispatch for Ok Nyeo to Myeongjong

30516476280_4f699bd4be_n.jpg

30729481491_e509f5dcf7_n.jpg

Sogyeokseo Damo

30516536940_d06fa163e0_n.jpg

Musuri ( 무수리 ) in Queen Dowager Munjeong palace

30700598902_4b07e62c6f_n.jpg

Ok Nyeo informant & dispatch

On 11/5/2016 at 8:00 AM, nrlfan4ever said:

Thanks @andy78, @valsava, @Yongzura for tonight's recap. Typically, since this is the second to the last episode, everything is being frontloaded for closure in Ep. 51 after the viewers were treated to an endless torture of seeing JNJ's smirking face up close. But since things are now favoring ON's team, it's fine. In my honest opinion, it is not a very remarkable production but still, we learned something about the life of King Myeongjeong. There's a time jump of about 2 years I think, from the death of the QD to the final demise of JNJ and cohorts. it's weird that she just fainted, woke up a bit (did she?) and bam, she's dead! Mueot? Was it a fatal heart attack? She was never shown as frail. Oh well, back to the main plot...Will YWH finally learn that it was JNJ who poisoned his legal wife and her other misdeeds unknown to him?

First Thanks Everyone that particpated in this thread.. Special Thanks To @andy78 @chasen8888 @gerrytan8063 & @Yongzura 

@nrlfan4ever  Let's just say the Queen Dowager cried wolf one trime to many and it has caught up with her..

I haven't these past two episodes yet waiting for the finale to be sub so I can enjoy the ending a lot better.. So can't really comment on the finale two but we spend time watching 51 episode of JNJ.. I think the writer should have based the show on her life being that it wasn't one episode that we didn't her up to no good it was more about her then ON.. I mean we didn't learn out leads identity not until ep 47 or 48.. I think this was ridiculous.. I don't think I'll rewatch this one again not until some years has past.

6 hours ago, andy78 said:

MG WIFE AND TW...SHE IS TRYING TO MAKE A DEAL...WANTS HIM TO SPARE HER HUSBAND AND SON ...EVIL SPY AND JNJ...SHE ORDERED HIM TO KILL OTP AGAIN

I must say JNJ is something else she still ordering people tro kill and she hasn't yet thought about her on safety both her and Lord ^Yoon ranoff and just left the poor girl they know she don't really know jack about the world and she might be on the brunt end of a whipping stick because of what her partents did..

6 hours ago, Lunkera said:

Well, Cho Hee had a deathflag ever since she tricked evil spy. Though i wished that she would have survived.

@Lunkera  I also wisged she had survive but this should have been expected because her fighting skills really wasn't that good.. Now I haven't finished reading the recap but ON should accept her status because of CH.. Afterall she was protecting her at least bshe could do it for all those people died for no reasons.. All because Lord Yoon and the Dowager Queen wanted to hide what they did..

6 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

Of all people, THE MOST LOYAL of them all! I didn't like the way QD died, way too peaceful for all the crimes she committed. :angry:

I think so to @Katrina Abdul Talib She should have died suffering from some kind of unknown illnes that no one could cure.

ON would spend much time as possible with her brother knowing that he was dying.. It's good they got to know one another hung out with each other even drank together.. 

4 hours ago, andy78 said:

A SPECIAL THANKS TO @gerrytan8063 AND  , @chasen8888 !!!I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT I'LL DO NEXT WEEK...I HAD A GREAT TIME WITH ALL YOU...HOPE TO WATCH ANOTHER DRAMA TOGETHER SOON!GROUP HUG EVERYBODY!

@andy78  @gerrytan8063 @Katrina Abdul Talib @Lunkera @chasen8888 @Yongzura @jadecloud @Mico Ricco @1451 @mithoene And all other I feel to shout your names the next upcoming Saguek that should be really good is under the spoiler.. Will you guys be watching this one also..

Spoiler
HDFree Saimdang, Light’s Diary - 사임당, 빛의 일기

Saimdang, Light’s Diary - 사임당, 빛의 일기

Other name: Saimdang, the Herstory , 師任堂,光的日記
Dramas 2016 Genre(s): History, Romance
Release: January, 2017 Runtime: Saturday & Sunday 21:55
Broadcast: SBS Language: Korean
Director(s): Yoon Sang Ho Writer(s): Park Eun Ryung

A reinterpretation of Saimdang from the Joseon times. She was a genius artist and passionate lover. Lee Young Ae takes on two roles; Seo Ji Yoon, a  college professor  who specializes in Korea Art History and Shin Saimdang.

Meanwhile, Lee Gyum (Song Seung Hun) is a man who had a fateful first encounter with Saimdang in his youth and has carried her in his heart for whole life. 

Once Again Thanks Everyone

Flower in Prison Post Mortem

The drama that had taken 7 months of diligence of my life. I think I had written many posts in this thread that I could recalls than any the other threads that I had been....usually only to provide historical contents or Korea food culture or location...the previous thread  that I had contributed this much was the drama Hwajung. In the midst of a heavy business travelling schedule (the joy of wifi) to contribute to the thread

When the thread started in November 2015, as for me Lee Byeong Hun drama is a must see watch list, since my very first Korean drama was Dae Jang Geum & their amazing knife skills at the Royal Kitchen

After many of his dramas then after, it was always a great watch since it is always subject oriented & knowledge gained

This time Flower in Prison subject was Jeonokseo, that will lead to the Joseon advocating system Waejibu later, although they touches on Chae Tam In (Joseon Secret Service) & Pyeongsiseo ( Joseon Financial Bureau) & of course Wae Myeong Bu (Jeong Nan Jeong aspire social ladder)

Started with great teaser with magnificent drone filming of Korea & China (Great Wall, Dunhuang & Hexi Corridor)

Film locations were great....showing the length & breath of Korean Peninsula, which also had overseas location in China, all already had been mentioned in the thread

The drama overall is applauded, but there was some shortfall.......name dropping great historical figures of the era which never materialise. As for Dae Jang Geum being mentioned to make an appearance, I think it is more MBC aspiration than Lee Byeong Hun. Im Kkeok Jeong was mentioned & his warrant for arrest poster was shown. Hwang Jini was just mentioned once by name

Ok Nyeo was suppose to have a name change of Yi Seo Won but it didn't happened. In the beginning they had chose to kept Ok Nyeo identity as a pandora box & tested the audience waters to steer directions. Jin Se Yeon is commendable in her portrayal as Ok Nyeo & kept pace with drama, adding wuxia (martial arts) skills with her physical agility & also sprint like Usain Bolt in a hanbok. Ok Nyeo using her wits to get out of sticky situation 

I suppose to many the introduction of Myeongjong onto the screen was a screen stealer....while started off slightly goofy then mature to able to wrestle statecraft from his Mother & relatives. History depicts him as "Nunmul Hwang Myeongjong" ( 눈물왕 명종 - King of Tears, Myeongjong), Seo Ha Jun really known how to cry buckets

Jeong Nan Jeong is Jeong Nan Jeong....what more is there to portray her

As to all Lee Byeong Hun drama...antagonist always dies by heaven retribution rather than the protagonist physically had to do it. Although Ok Nyeo did finished Ju Cheol Gi off with a disembowel stroke to his stomach

30218723603_64880cd403_n.jpg

The stratagem between good & evil was nicely depicted

Jeon Woo Chi scam on Jeong Nan Jeong with gold mining right, in order for Ok Nyeo to feed the starving prisoners in Jeonokseo. The sale of the salt, Jeonokseo prisoner making salt with low cost labour. The sale of paper, cut the middle man & buying up the source, the paper pulp. The Ginseng Sales, the making of red ginseng from fresh ginseng to enhance shelf life & storage. The Mercantile enterprise formed into a Co-op...united we stand...we can beat the big boys

The difference between Ok Nyeo & Jeong Nan Jeong. Both of them possess great intelligence & wits

Ok Nyeo borne Royal but due to circumstances was born & raise in a downtrodden place like Jeonokseo as commoner while Jeong Nan Jeong of humble origins aspire to climb to the highest social through deception & willing to kill to get where she wants

Yun Won Hyeong, although brutal, sometimes provide the comic relief with his partner Oh Jong Geum. 

Queen Dowager Munjeong was stellar in her portrayal as a typical Korean mother who is obsessed with her son that there is nothing she will not do for him, when she was made redundant, it stroke her out

Yun Tae Won steadfast love & relationship with Ok Nyeo & likewise with her without a doubt since Day 1 when they first met in Jeonokseo, falter slightly in the drama but pick up in the end, which was later done in the scene that was depicted in the final episode

The supporting cast is great...which I like about Lee Byeong Hun that they have substance & not just fitting & fixture in the scene that deliver dialogues. Ji Cheon Deuk, Ok Nyeo foster father who mother hen Ok Nyeo especially to see whether she is well fed. Park Tae Soo who had given all the tools on life's traits & trades that she need for life forward. Yi Ji Ham, Ok Nyeo primary education was from him & maximise the use especially the knowledge of I-Ching. Joo Woo Chi the con strategist. Cheon Dong, Ok Nyeo trustworthy pickpocket friend. Yang Dong Gu, although flaw but will stand at loyalty when time require. The colourful depiction of Jeonokseo staff that spread all walks of human characters. Gong Jae Myeong & his mercantile enterprise was the pillar of foundation to Yun Tae Won formation as a savvy merchant. Yeoju Daek the tavern proprietor...great food but not nice to look at...will give you especially for Yang Dong Gu a chill in the spine at night looking at her.....

to be continue later.....

Thank you, The Flower in Prison!  You are the very first LONG Korean drama that I have watched in its entirety (I still can't believe I spent 51 hours watching it and this is not inclusive of repeats!), and your grand finale left me feeling very pleased and happy!  I think the ending is perfect.  

What I love about the ending:

1.  The King & Ok Nyeo's hand-holding and hug!  Best part ever.  To top off all their previous sweet, heartwarming scenes.  When she asked him to live for a long time so that she can help him (he totally needs her now that he lost his mother) and he promised her to live long, I went teary-eyed.  I am SO thankful we didn't have to see the King dying in this drama.  Thank you, writer & director!  Hallelujah!

2.  The King welcoming Ok Nyeo as princess into the palace.  I am SO happy we got this part!  I will just pretend that it is the King welcoming Ok Nyeo into the palace as his royal consort.  Please pardon my mad OkJong shipping mind.

3.  It was rather sweet how Yoon Won-Hyung and Jung Nan Jung escaped and died together.  They are my favorite villains in dramas and the reason why I could stick it out with this drama.  They plot really well, quarrel really well, and in the end, they died really well too.  I like to think that despite it all, YWH did love JNJ and he couldn't have lived without her.  Plus YWH has that soft side to him that did save Yoon Tae Woon many times.

4.  Ok Nyeo returning to Jeonokseo as a princess and changing it to be a better place.  I love how she had those flashbacks.  It feels like we did come a full big circle.  My favorite flashback?  Her memories of Park Tae Soo - that always brings tears to my eyes.  My OkHun shipping mind wishes that Ok Nyeo and Sung Ji Hun had gotten together as they remember Park Tae Soo's legacy and fight for justice.

5.  I like that Sung Ji Hun appeared a bit more in the finale!  He and Ok Nyeo bonding over YWH & JNJ's death.  How apt that it is he who was delivering poison to the couple he was going to revenge against.  I think them taking their own lives makes it easier for Yoon Tae Won, Sung Ji Hun, Ok Nyeo and the King to get on with their lives without treasonous couple's blood on their hands.

6.  Happy ending for everyone except for Cho Hee (did she really have to die?  This drama has a low body count and I'm being greedy), Yoon Shin Hye (I'll imagine she became a slave somewhere), Jong Geum (come to think of it, YWH's sons really don't have good lives - look at Yoon Tae Won who was banished to the streets as kid), and did I miss anyone?

My only question:  Does Ok Nyeo not get Lee Seo Won as her new name?

I hope to find another drama to watch that is as good as The Flower in Prison with its awesome cast and amazing storyline.  I welcome recommendations!  I'll end this with saying how much I love the King and Ok Nyeo.  I am so glad my ship didn't sink.  Blood is thicker than water after all and he didn't die.  So, hallelujah!  =) 

An awesome sageuk came to an end. A little sad to let it go, but it was so enjoyable, even with plot holes and (IMO) unsatisfactory handling of certain aspects. Love the cast, esp the main few. They all did a fab job in their performances.

@gerrytan8063 What do you think about the fate of Yoon Won Hyung's child? Will he get his royal title later since YWH was a royal and Jong Geum was conferred concubinage by YWH, and acknowledged by first madame JNJ? So why can't Jong Geum go to King Myeongjong to beg for a place to stay and food to eat, if nothing else, at least for the child's sake?

Jte4AJW.png164TCrM.pnggy0OR2r.png

As for the deaths of JNJ and YWH, and for all the evils they have done, is it only me with this thought 'Even in death, they could die together and be together in the netherworld'? JNJ's last days mirrored those of the real Queen Munjeong in history, being mentally unstable and suffering hallucinations of the step-son, the late King Injong, that she has killed via poisoning.

jMhW7tZ.pngWHAOYOB.png

CR: MBC

9 hours ago, valsava said:

@andy78  @gerrytan8063 @Katrina Abdul Talib @Lunkera @chasen8888 @Yongzura @jadecloud @Mico Ricco @1451 @mithoene And all other I feel to shout your names the next upcoming Saguek that should be really good is under the spoiler.. Will you guys be watching this one also..

Likewise, thanks to all in this thread who watched along together. @valsava, yes I will be watching that upcoming sageuk in the spoiler. For support of LYA's comeback, I have to :) But seriously, I think it will be pretty interesting. I LOVE SAGEUKS!

@jadecloud

gy0OR2r.png

" What do you think about the fate of Yoon Won Hyung's child? Will he get his royal title later since YWH was a royal and Jong Geum was conferred concubinage by YWH, and acknowledged by first madame JNJ? So why can't Jong Geum go to King Myeongjong to beg for a place to stay and food to eat, if nothing else, at least for the child's sake?"

First & Foremost, Yun Won Hyeong is just Royal relative & not a Royal therefore his posterity will not have Royal titles or investiture. I don't think Oh Jong Geum can go to Myeongjong to claim welfare benefits, but she can & try to claim from the Papyeong Yun clan for child benefits. As for the child, he will follow the status of his mother as a commoner. 

Papyeong Yun clan did their filial duty in erect a tombstone for Yun Won Hyeong & Jeong Nan Jeong that the clan still do memorial services for them until the present day, a consolation perhaps

30200810934_9136e4e390_n.jpg

30197389863_ff781b4524_n.jpg

Tomb of Yun Won Hyeong ( 윤원형 尹元衡 1509-1565) in Gyoha-eup, Paju Gyeonggi-do

30197437933_c44da77f24_n.jpg

Tomb of Jeong Nan Jeong, ( 정난정, 鄭蘭貞, 1506? - 1565) from the Chogye (초계,草溪) Jeong clan, wife of Yun Won Hyeong in Gyoha-eup, Paju, Gyeonggi-do, although inscription on the tombstone is Chogye Jeong Clan, Jeong Nana Jeong's tomb but she was given the honour to be buried in Papyeong Yun clan burial plot

Meanwhile Queen Dowager Munjeong who wanted to be buried next to Jungjong at Jeongneung (靖陵)  but her wish wasn't fulfilled. Myeongjong granted his mother a posthumous epithet of Munjeong & name her tomb Sinjeongneung (新靖陵) & later the name change to Taereung (泰陵). Memorial rites for her are held every year at 16th May. In modern times the name Taereung is now synonymous with being the heart centre of Korean sports

"The Flower in Prison" ends in 22.6%

photo781088.jpg

"The Flower in Prison" ended with a record holder.

According to Nielsen Korea, the MBC weekend drama "The Flower in Prison" ended with 22.6% on the 6th. The drama did it again.

KBS 2TV weekend drama "The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop" rated 31.5% and MBC "Blow Breeze" 13%.

http://www.hancinema.net/the-flower-in-prison-ends-in-22-6percent-100242.html

congratulations ended with a record it seems!

"The Flower in Prison" ends, are Lee Byeong-hoon historical dramas just fantasies?

Spoiler

photo781095.jpg

"The Flower in Prison" ended. Jin Se-yeon who went from being a maid to a princess chose to live for the people and became a good example of good triumphing over evil.

MBC weekend drama "The Flower in Prison" by producer Lee Byeong-hoon was highly anticipated way before it started. He's famous for his past works such as "Heo Joon", "Dae Jang Geum", "Dong Yi" and more. However, the start of the drama wasn't all sugar and honey.

A new background of a prison was attempted for the first time. Reviews said that there was a 'difference' but that was it. This was when it was realized that Lee Byeong-hoon's methods didn't apply for all generations anymore. The repertoire was similar: the secret of birth, the evil deeds of characters and good defeating evil.

It was all too obvious that Queen Troika (Kim Mi-Sook), Yoon Won-hyeong (Jeong Joon-ho) and Jeong Nan-jeong's (Park Joo-mi) will get the punishment they deserve in the end because that is Lee Byeong-hoon's way of doing things. Watching Ok-nyeo (Jin Se-yeon) and they nice people around her for fifty-one episodes was a time of patience even to the viewers.

The final episode showed Won-hyeong and Nan-jeong drinking poison to their deaths. This happened for the first time in 7 months. Ok-nyeo's mother died in prison and Ok-nyeo herself was endlessly threatened by death. Yoon Tae-won (Ko Soo), Seong Ji-hyeon (Choi Tae-joon) and Myeong Jong (Seo Ha-joon) suffered next to her and she failed at revenge every time she tried.

The Olympics led to an expansion of one episode. it was realized that 'good VS evil' is now not enough to reach the destination of a drama this long. The viewers will get tired of watching Ok-nyeo finding her throne and watching the evil characters what they deserve. Another disappointing thing is that Ok-nyeo and Tae-won's love disappeared on the way.

Spoiler

photo781096.jpg

continue.....

Flower in Prison Post Mortem 2

In recent times historical drama or sageuk has somewhat evolve into too fusion & sometimes take matter into almost fantasy, at times the Ajusshi or Samchon like me find it hard to savour like the recents dramas that had the trendy title with "Moon" on them

The drama sets off differently that the protagonist were not historical figures themselves but they are being surrounded by historical figures, so it will be up to the writer's pen in dramatic licensing to write to their fancy & you can't run & do a cross reference with the annals of Joseon Dynasty for spoilers

Lee Byeong Hun drama, MBC will spent cost on his drama....the building of Jeonokseo took 3 billion won. In Dae Jang Geum, the palace set was built in the former Yangju outdoor set & when the drama was a blockbuster, it churn revenue for tourists until it was close down on safety reasons as MBC move to a bigger premises in Yongin, where the drama of Yi San & Queen Seondeok was facilitate then extension were made for Dong Yi & Hwajung & the many epic MBC historical dramas that was broadcast from MBC

I am glad that Flower in Prison, drama location beside scenes from China shown a lot of what Korea can offer in sightseeing which I had already done many posts in the thread

The Andongho Lake, Sangjogam Country Park for the lave flats, Ahopsan Bamboo Forest, Wolryubong, Biseulsan - Azalea, Buan Film Studio for Haeju scene, The Sun Flower Fields in Borinari Hagwon Farm, The Single Log Bridge Village,  Gungnamji pond & etc....just to name a few

In China

Shanhai Pass, Hengdian Studios, Dunhuang, Hexi Corridor 

Finally I will bid this drama adieu spending 7 months of diligence in this drama

Spoiler

18843900602_ae52d60364_n.jpg

The 38th Joseon King played by gerrytan8063

The Royal Physician had advice me that I should do some R&R (Rest & Recuperation), therefore I will be departing for my recreation to Seoul on Thursday for 10 days until then, I am in the office to seek audience or when connectivity is available

Archived