[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

4 minutes ago, skxz said:

I mean all of you have probably noticed but I don't think a post was made regarding Wang Yo's large collection of earrings. He's the only prince that wears them and I am curious as to what you guys think it means. I don't know if there are any other connotations besides the fact that it is a symbol of wealth and status. But man does he own a lovely collection of earrings.

And let's not forget to mention how on fleek his eyeliner has been.

I think it's the influence of being brought up by Snake Queen. She wants to shine the brightest and always adorns herself in gold and since she has her sights set on Wang Yo as future Crown Prince, her attention and devotion would be aimed entirely at him. Out of all the princes, he's the flashiest, the vainest, and the most presentable. He's never without jewelry and his eyeliner is always present. This all screams Snake Queen to me and is a portrayal of how deeply her influence is on Wang Yo.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, akinahana89 said:

I think it's the influence of being brought up by Snake Queen. She wants to shine the brightest and always adorns herself in gold and since she has her sights set on Wang Yo as future Crown Prince, her attention and devotion would be aimed entirely at him. Out of all the princes, he's the flashiest, the vainest, and the most presentable. He's never without jewelry and his eyeliner is always present. This all screams Snake Queen to me and is a portrayal of how deeply her influence is on Wang Yo.

I agree she wil be the downfall of WY and whom will she turn to this time because we know it won't be WS he's her biggest flaw in life.. WS don't care for all the gold and silver like WY..

• Like 11

I don't know if this was mentioned somewhere else before, but did you guys know that China liked this story so much that they actually created TWO dramas based on the original novel? The version that has been mentioned a lot with Liu Shi Shi is actually in my opinion the sadder and more tragic version compared to the other chinese drama adaptation called "Gong" or "The Palace" in english with the chinese actress Yang Mi. You guys can google "Yang Mi Palace" and get more information on that drama. The other chinese drama, "Palace", is more loosely based on the original novel so they were able to make it more light hearted (like scarlet heart ryeo!) I didn't want to spoil the ending, so I put the ending in the spoiler tag. Read at your own risk!

Spoiler

The drama "Palace" has a pretty open ending but it's a pretty happy ending in my opinion compared to "Bu Bu Jing Xin" with Liu Shi Shi since the main guy lead was able to travel back to modern day and meet the female lead again :) this gives me hope for a happy ending for our SoSoo couple .

• Like 17

about the white hanboks, i think where all the princes wear white is the praying? ceremony for drought, asking for sky/god to send them rain. the part where Yo slaps So. i don't know when they will show that scene. but for the next episode, the white hanboks are for Madam Hae's funeral.

also, as mentioned in the drama, Goryeo valued beautiful appearance. both men and women wore makeup and jewelries. prince Yo's fashion shows how much he cares and tries to look great in what Goryeo values. and of course, it represents richness and power. it shows how much Yo has money and power to adorn himself. and to distinguish Yo from other princes, 9th prince Won who has a lot of money, doesn't adorn himself. Won might not care for the looks, but it could also be that Won doesn't want to shine more than Yo because Yo's vain won't stand it and might try to ruin Won. just like empress Yoo threats her maids that nobody should shine better than her. and obviously, 8th prince's mother empress wouldn't try to look better than empress Yoo when 8th prince empress doesn't have much power enough to stand up against empress Yoo yet.

Yoo clan is very strong clan. and i believe that's historical fact.

• Like 17

18 minutes ago, skxz said:

I know someone has mentioned this before but I can't find the post. It is about how Wang So is always in black. Initially when he enters Songak he is clothed from head to toe in black. He is dressed in full black for the most part prior to being allowed to stay in the palace. Black is a colour which has a lot of negative connotations like death, destruction, loneliness, mystery because of the power it exudes. I mean you can't really get any darker. This is very reflective of the position So was in and further highlighted his character.

When he moves into the palace he is still dressed in black but there is a lot of gold design and different patters that has been incorporated in his robes so it's less dark.

But what I find the most interesting is that even though he is dressed like the rest of his brothers in the same robes and everything he is still in black. To me this just highlights that he is not cared for and does not shine to his parents or anyone else in the palace and is just someone living in the shadow of his brothers.

What So wears is reflective of his progression out of darkness and into happiness and light. This is very much the same with a previous post I made about his masks. The de-masking scene and the kiss scene are very significant in showing the growth of So.

Look at all that colour. Makes me so happy :)

What I find funny about this is that the one time Wang So is supposed to be dressed in another color to blend in, he ends up wearing black again and stands out instead. It's like, even when given the opportunity to shine with his brothers, he still ends up shrouded in the darkness of black. How nice it would have been to actually see Wang So wearing his red costume for the ritual, but looking back on it now, it seems more suitable that he never got the opportunity - except for during the ritual practice.

• Like 16

14 minutes ago, akinahana89 said:

What I find funny about this is that the one time Wang So is supposed to be dressed in another color to blend in, he ends up wearing black again and stands out instead. It's like, even when given the opportunity to shine with his brothers, he still ends up shrouded in the darkness of black. How nice it would have been to actually see Wang So wearing his red costume for the ritual, but looking back on it now, it seems more suitable that he never got the opportunity - except for during the ritual practice.

Yes I was going to talk about that scene to I'm glad you brought it up. To me, in the ritual scene he was going to wear red like the rest of his brothers so technically he wasn't going to shine but blend in with the rest of his brothers and not get recognised. But instead he stands in the Crown Prince's position to protect him and in turn hopes to get recognised by his parents for his heroic actions. However, the irony of all this is the fact that that position meant dressing in black  and being shrouded in darkness again. And to top it all off when he revealed that it was in fact him that got injured instead of him if he was okay the King immediately disregards him and asks where his first son is further showing how So is a shadow to everyone around him. I think with that scene it's very reflective of the efforts So goes to get recognised but in the end it doesn't go his way because of the bias towards him. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, theseasasleep said:

So late on sharing thoughts but there were so many pages I've only now have the time to go back and read the great and interesting comments. Also, @bebebisous33, your analysis of the meaning behind the eclipse and its connection to WS and HS is quite beautiful, such a pleasure to read.

Agreed. Right now the show is calling it love so I will accept it for what it is. I think WWs early advantage over WS is how closely on the surface he resembles a modern man, particularly as compared to WS. No, WS didn't help matters by fully acting out his defensive persona (violent, rude, standoffish) during his earlier encounters with HS; however, by the time we get to the prayer stones scene, HS has accepted the more violent nature of her new world even as she chooses to do what she feels is right no matter how much it bucks what's acceptable in that world. Still, to a modern person like HS, someone like WW who carries more modern elements would seem very comfortable and safe. I don't think we can discount that as part of his understandable attraction. 

@KdramaSwimmer  My understanding is they wear white when in mourning. In the flashback with little WS, the mother is wearing all white because she just lost a child which makes the king's style of dress (the full color regalia) all the more striking and heartless. I'm willing to bet the different scenes in the long preview with the royals and their family in white are connected to funerals. Also, the type of rituals performed are likely connected to the status of the person who died. The funerary rituals performed by the family for a Lady Hae, for example, would be vastly different/understated compared to the rituals performed for the death of a King or a Crown Prince which I think is what's happening when we see WS, specifically, leading the ritual. I think at some point Ji Mong lets people (or maybe just WS) know the heavens have decreed WS be the next King. Now, if he's smart - and I'm assuming he must be because I think he's from the future, too, and has survived decades in the past - JM won't let that cat out of the bag before the death of the Crown Prince since that would put WS's life in extreme danger from the King and the Crown Prince himself.

WS's mother doesn't like Lady Hae because Lady Hae used her clan's power, money and connections to put WW and WW's mother back in the capital city and in the palace again. Unless I'm sorely mistaken, WS's mother is the reason WW's family was exiled in the first place; WW's speaks semi-bitterly about a situation in the past that caused her to lose the King's trust and I suspect the evil mother had something to do with it. So much of the politics involved seem to rely upon clan power, status or basically, "What can your clan do for me?" Lady Hae's clan apparently could do a lot and had a lot. It's what makes Yeon Hwa's words about the Lady kind of reprehensible, not because they lacked historical truth (if her brother was to move up he needed a new, healthier wife) but because they lacked any appreciation for what Lady Hae did for her and her family. I don't care how powerful Lady Hae's clan is, she had to have spent significant political capital to wash the stink of whatever misdeed caused the exile of WW's fam and she would likely have to continue to spend that capital due to the malicious nature of the evil mother. I think this might have also contributed to Lady Hae withdrawing from whatever naturally mischievous nature she might have had prior to her marriage because living quietly not only matched her husband's manner but also wouldn't attract the evil queen mother's eye.

As for JM, HS and time travel, my personal headcanon is his homeless self jumped into the water to save a drowning HS. We get a shot of him noticing her shoes on the platform as well as the coming eclipse. It would be just like a kdrama for him to attempt to save her because she was kind enough to share a drink and even a word with him when she could have ignored him. I think the heavens/god/fate needed both of them to fulfill their parts in shaping the start of Goryeo, so he got sent where he was needed back to the pre-formation and she was sent where she was needed. JM, with his obvious knowledge of history, likely understands why he's here but he probably doesn't understand why HS is there as well. He's probably trying to figure that out on the sly, the role she's meant to play, especially considering when she appeared - on the day of WS's arrival, on the eve of several assassination attempts and when, it seems to me, JM is subtly arranging things to put WS in place as history needs him. Of course, this all pre-supposes he is also a time traveler; again, personal headcanon until the show tells us otherwise.

Hello! I hope you don't mind if I chip in! When talking about the queen wearing white because her son died and the king not wearing white, I did notice (and I could be wrong) that in all the sageuks that I have seen so far, anytime a prince or queen dies, the king does not wear mourning clothes... I have only ever seen the king wear white/mourning clothes when his father/mother/grandmother (grand dowager queen) passes on - Maybe the king only wears white when someone senior in rank to him dies?

• Like 11

Wow it's saturday already at my part.. Monday is around the corner. I'll begin my prayers so Wook wouldn't just hovering again in the next eps. 

We just have to survive the weekend eclipers! Fighting!

42 minutes ago, qwenli said:

Hide contents

the funny thing is when I take the dramafever quiz, my answer came out to be Hong Jong Hyun :crazy: :D:D:D

[spoiler/]

You're a true YoYo clubbers then :D

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, solelylurking said:

Wow it's saturday already at my part.. Monday is around the corner. I'll begin my prayers so Wook wouldn't just hovering again in the next eps. 

We just have to survive the weekend eclipers! Fighting!

What I'm hoping the most right now is that the next eps (ep 6&7) will contain more OTP scenes. I've already had enough of WW and HS's story lol. Can't wait for the passionate story between them. And the un-mask scene, OMG, dying to see that! It's gonna be my most favorite scene. 

Btw I got Wang So in the quiz :wub:

• Like 15

@sunshinefate.. Wook not hovering is good for HaeSo couple love story development too. I already told that in my prev post hehe. I fell your pain of not seeing So's face often and how limited his interaction with Soo in the prev ep chingu. Tomorrow we'll see something interesting and blooming little by little. Can not wait! I hope you'll be at Soompi after watching so we can chat again.. Promise?

• Like 9

seriously this thread os the boom!!~~~ so much analysis and thing that we been thinking and hoping to happen in drama.. 

first off we have to see WW and HS together in order to see WS and HS love story.. yes maybe in next few eps it will be WS feeling get clear first that he love HS but it will be one sided love UNTIL HS truly let WW go.. kinda curious why she broke up with him cause in BBJX is about throne.. i don't think it will be like that here... 

secondly.. i watch MLSHR again last night i mean who wouldn't do that.. lol its amazing how much WS changed in just a few encounter with HS.. from dark and cold also with every single threat to kill HS to just smilling and teasing her.. WS who never stood out or have a skinship with anyone just naturally put his hand around her and teasing her.. WS just changed drastically and it will changed more later when he fall in love.. 

i just love HS when she around WS.. she act like a big sister tbh... lol even WS killing people and have a dark aura she keep lecturing him... its just show that that mask have nothing on her.. she can see beyond that and know who WS really is.. 

• Like 20