[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets fly to Korea before the ending ... I really want to kill KBJ... I feel like sad ending waiting for us tonight... Oh my ... :bawling: .... Because today is weekend . I hope my prediction is wrong. So my sat-night will not turn out to be sad-night. Please writernim! 

1 hour ago, angelalala101 said:

I'm a little confused on why you think Detective Cha caused SW's death and everyone else's? 

Also, I mean she waited 15 years to find out anything about LJH--that's a pretty long time, so I think her reaction would be kinda irrational/emotional. (I too was slightly annoyed by her slight lack of empathy for PHY's situation) I think this is the only episode where she demonstrates complete fragility as in the past episodes we always see her trying to be strong when she's shaken, and this episode is her breaking point.

In no episode I have seen her being strong...

I know all of us can try and give reason for how she behaves whenever...but i just find her as infuriariting as that other guy in the team who is always cribbing.

She is strong only when handling normal cases...

On why i think she is the reason for all of this.. LJH would have never been detained if it were not for her teenage action of garnering LJH's attention by doing random act of bravado.. either way i am angry that LJH didn't leave because of her foolishness..

And time and again..sh takes a lot of time to process things or interpret it right..its like everything she does is to make herself look nice in his eyes..because he is her idol..in good sense..as in a good cop..

Whenever a moment has come in this series where she has to be strong..she never is..either she is in for foolish bravoda (including serial killer case... they clearly showed she got the context of the killer's mind..and yet she is out there trying to kill him..and putting an end to his misery)...

So, that is why i don't find her consistent..she is driven by emotions..and less by logic and cleverness of a detective (i mean obviously she has some for she is a detective..but worst among her clique)

5 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I am also wondering about this too..

And why must they have the characters have so similar names? I am so confused between Kim Bum Joo and Kim Sung Bum now. All along I thought they found the body in KBJ's house, and now it is KSB? And who is Kim Sung Bum anyway?

KSB is the one who developed with KBJ's help a Ponzi scheme. Thanks to KBJ's help, KSB was never convicted for that. Remember, LJH was looking into that file while observing KSB's moves. It was sad that the body of LJH was found on the property of KSB's mother.

KSB was the witness who helped to fabricate false evidences against LJH: he was a witness that LJH was a corrupted cop.

Have you noticed that KBJ was putting an band-aid on his finger? I was wondering if KBJ didn't cut himself while cutting the wrist of PWS.

@Mico Ricco I believe that LJH must have searched KBJ's desk or house without him knowing it. That's why he got the scarf. I believe, KBJ only found the file, but not the scarf. Maybe LJH has hidden the red scarf somewhere and since KBJ cut himself and left blood on the scarf, he can be convicted for murder.

Another great episode!! @konjo You're right!! This drama is the best crime drama I've ever seen!! crazy monkey I hope, the finale episode will be as good as the episode 15! If so, it will be added to my list of favourite dramas!

2 hours ago, Sana Donghae said:

the best 2016 drama <3 cant wait for the last ep .... when I started it I expected a lot from the writer cause she wrote another drama I love "Ghost" but again she exceeded my expectations woooow

I liked Ghost, but this drama is definitely much better!! It is more tense and the suspense is really killing me....

Oh my god. I will seriously be a fan of Jo Jin Woong forever. He just leaves me breathless. He needs to be in more dramas because movies don't get subbed much. Anyway, of course they had to do this! I'm really mad that Haeyoung had to be shot by I understand that it would be the cliffhanger until the last episode. I do like how they showed both Jaehan and Haeyoung, almost dead, and that scene where they both wished each other happiness. Nice touch.

The preview gives me hope though. Jaehan looks freaking hot on that last shot of his. Oh god, someone help me. Also, I'm in way too deep that I don't think I'll mind whatever ending they give us. Still, drama gods, happy ending please.

51 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

In no episode I have seen her being strong...

I know all of us can try and give reason for how she behaves whenever...but i just find her as infuriariting as that other guy in the team who is always cribbing.

She is strong only when handling normal cases...

On why i think she is the reason for all of this.. LJH would have never been detained if it were not for her teenage action of garnering LJH's attention by doing random act of bravado.. either way i am angry that LJH didn't leave because of her foolishness..

And time and again..sh takes a lot of time to process things or interpret it right..its like everything she does is to make herself look nice in his eyes..because he is her idol..in good sense..as in a good cop..

Whenever a moment has come in this series where she has to be strong..she never is..either she is in for foolish bravoda (including serial killer case... they clearly showed she got the context of the killer's mind..and yet she is out there trying to kill him..and putting an end to his misery)...

So, that is why i don't find her consistent..she is driven by emotions..and less by logic and cleverness of a detective (i mean obviously she has some for she is a detective..but worst among her clique)

Well, you can call this a defence for Cha Soohyun, for lack of better terms. I look at this from her point of view, not ours who has been following the superman LJH going against a corrupted system trying to save the noble PSW.

I actually agree with you that she is driven by emotions (although I don't see how it should exclude cleverness and logic or if being emotional is wrong). She is consistently portrayed as such throughout the series. She has been established as almost single-mindedly devoted to Lee Jaehan. (15 years of longing? That's devotion....) She just didn't open up. And just days after she had confirmed the fate of LJH, she found out that in this logical universe there is this weird walkie talkie  that enables communication across time. With a still living and breathing LJH...

Should I blame anyone (I don't really...) for the death of PHY, I would blame him for losing himself (by being a drama queen when he realised he was partially to blame for LJH's demise) that mad them lose control over the gangster in the first place.

This case has become personal to both CSH and PHY. Emotions are running high. CSH and PHY are losing their objectivity. I think in real life, them continuing the investigation would constitute a no-go for conflict of interest.

But this is their tests.

Thank goodness this happens in episode 15 of 16, any sooner (or in different hand), we'll have weeks of moping CSH and PHY. Not a pretty picture. 

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I am also wondering about this too..

And why must they have the characters have so similar names? I am so confused between Kim Bum Joo and Kim Sung Bum now. All along I thought they found the body in KBJ's house, and now it is KSB? And who is Kim Sung Bum anyway?

Hello @Prettysup  I think based on his (Kim Sung-bum) own vague answers we can assume that he's one of Kim Bum-joo's lackeys--perhaps in connection with Chairman Jang. Kim Sung-bum is the one who does the dirtiest jobs that not even the corrupt cops can do.

He also functions as some sort of messenger of Kim Bum-joo's although I'm still not sure why he was linked to Ahn Chi-soo--Kim Bum-joo and Ahn worked at the same precinct after all. 

As much as I disagree with @enigmatic_zephy's notion that Cha Soo-hyun is simply emotional and not resourceful enough, I think I agree with him/her (sorry I'm not sure about this) on at least one point:

that if Jae-han wasn't stabbed that day from helping Soo-hyun tackle the robber, he would've been fast enough to get to Sun-woo's place.

Therefore, she wasn't agile that day because she hurt her foot, from dropping the mineral water drum on it.

She dropped the drum because she was absent minded in her pain after knowing about Jae-han's first love.

However,  Soo-hyun was not the only emotional one or even the most emotional character. The other two main characters are emotional (one of them was even in love with a victim!)as well. The majority of the side characters are emotional, too. After all, the writer never claims that her script is for a straight-genre drama (whether it is action or pure procedural). She even said in the translated interview that the drama was based on emotions and human relationships.

It took me a while to reconcile myself to how I felt about Ep15... alternating between grief, frustration, respect and dread for the characters that I have come to care for. And in an ensemble of stellar performances, JJW truly knocked the ball out of the park with his delivery that covered a spectrum of emotions... anguish, helplessness, rage, desperation, self-recriminations... sweeping us along with him in LJH's emotional upheaval.

I watched with sickening dread when KBJ showed up at PSW's home... which only intensified when he confirmed not once but twice whether the boy would give up trying to clear his name. In a twisted sense, that was KBJ giving the unsuspecting boy a final chance to save himself... just as he did with LJH 5.5 months later... staying the final blow as long as they would let go of their crusade. Did he feel anything, when PSW spoke of his need to clear his name so that his family can be reunited? At the time, I believe he neither heard nor cared, intent on accomplishing his mission to ensure that he is not cut loose by Congressman Jang. I wonder though for a split second, whether he did finally hear PSW's now futile cry when LJH confronted him in fury? My tears flowed fast and furious as LJH threw those words at him that were as much rage at KBJ's inhumanity, as it is his own anguish at his inability to protect a boy who looked to him to help prove his innocence and restore his family - "It's not because he felt resentment for himself. It was because his parents and brother... His loved ones had split up because of him.... He believed he could right the wrong and be together with his family again. He believed there was a grown up who would help him with that." What a devastating eulogy for a boy who had so much to give, yet was cut down before his time, one not even their greatest efforts could save, not the first time, not the second.

From that moment on, we now know that LJH will never give up, no matter how anyone tries to convince him otherwise. In his career, he had experienced so much personal loss and accumulated guilt. He suffered through the death of his first love despite finally finding closure, even if he knew it would have to come 26 years hence. He had to watch Eun Ji die in the bus explosion, then tried to save OKT by clearing his name but still failed to save him from his fate. This time round, he is crushed by the grief and guilt of having failed PSW not once but twice... unable to save him from being framed for rape, and again failing to prevent his death and restore his innocence. And his failure meant that he could not fulfil his fondest wish for PHY... to live happily, surrounded by his family. Is it even conceivable that he would back down from this moment forth? Hence his continued dogged investigation... intent on bringing down all those who have wrought so much suffering. 

The single walkie-talkie exchange is one that breaks my heart... LJH approaching it with overwhelming self-blame, knowing that he has failed the boy on the other end of the walkie-talkie. I wish PHY had been on the other end of the line, instead of praying desperately that his brother somehow survives... because in that moment in time, both men needed each other... to mourn, to derive some small measure of comfort in their common loss. In that moment, perhaps I resented CSH a little for being there instead of PHY, but then I remembered that she too, needed to hear his voice, she who has waited unwaveringly, futilely for 15 years. How apt, that in that moment, she needed to rail at the man who finally came home dead, even if we wish she didn't, knowing time is of the essence. However, while fearing the consequences, I understand and support her choice to warn him of his impending death. She has lost him once... and she would certainly not miss the chance to try and save him. And who's to say her intervention may not be exactly what LJH needs to forewarn and forearm himself going into Sunil Psychiatric Hospital 5 months hence.

At present, we know that LJH is still alive, it being Jul 29th, 2000 in his timeline. We know his original fate and how he was supposed to die through KSB's recount of the events that fateful night. We know too, that he now knows that is where and when he dies. The past has started to change... this time with CSH's hand adding a new variable into the mix. Will LJH survive this time, and by extension PHY? It is as what PHY once said... that he does not know who would suffer the fallout of their intervention, but the fact that those they set out to save ends up surviving, means there is hope. And this is the hope I am clinging on to, going into the finale.

2 hours ago, Mico Ricco said:

1 - 3 main leads could die.  

Everyone of us should have been prepared for it already. :)

Hello @Mico Ricco I love your posts in this thread!

But gah, you remind me that I have to buy tissues tonight. And probably eat some chocolate too. 

Anyone here is a chocolate lover?

27 minutes ago, liddi said:

It took me a while to reconcile myself to how I felt about Ep15... alternating between grief, frustration, respect and dread for the characters that I have come to care for. And in an ensemble of stellar performances, JJW truly knocked the ball out of the park with his delivery that covered a spectrum of emotions... anguish, helplessness, rage, desperation, self-recriminations... sweeping us along with him in LJH's emotional upheaval.

I watched with sickening dread when KBJ showed up at PSW's home... which only intensified when he confirmed not once but twice whether the boy would give up trying to clear his name. In a twisted sense, that was KBJ giving the unsuspecting boy a final chance to save himself... just as he did with LJH 5.5 months later... staying the final blow as long as they would let go of their crusade. Did he feel anything, when PSW spoke of his need to clear his name so that his family can be reunited? At the time, I believe he neither heard nor cared, intent on accomplishing his mission to ensure that he is not cut loose by Congressman Jang. I wonder though for a split second, whether he did finally hear PSW's now futile cry when LJH confronted him in fury? My tears flowed fast and furious as LJH threw those words at him that were as much rage at KBJ's inhumanity, as it is his own anguish at his inability to protect a boy who looked to him to help prove his innocence and restore his family - "It's not because he felt resentment for himself. It was because his parents and brother... His loved ones had split up because of him.... He believed he could right the wrong and be together with his family again. He believed there was a grown up who would help him with that." What a devastating eulogy for a boy who had so much to give, yet was cut down before his time, one not even their greatest efforts could save, not the first time, not the second.

From that moment on, we now know that LJH will never give up, no matter how anyone tries to convince him otherwise. In his career, he had experienced so much personal loss and accumulated guilt. He suffered through the death of his first love despite finally finding closure, even if he knew it would have to come 26 years hence. He had to watch Eun Ji die in the bus explosion, then tried to save OKT by clearing his name but still failed to save him from his fate. This time round, he is crushed by the grief and guilt of having failed PSW not once but twice... unable to save him from being framed for rape, and again failing to prevent his death and restore his innocence. And his failure meant that he could not fulfil his fondest wish for PHY... to live happily, surrounded by his family. Is it even conceivable that he would back down from this moment forth? Hence his continued dogged investigation... intent on bringing down all those who have wrought so much suffering. 

The single walkie-talkie exchange is one that breaks my heart... LJH approaching it with overwhelming self-blame, knowing that he has failed the boy on the other end of the walkie-talkie. I wish PHY had been on the other end of the line, instead of praying desperately that his brother somehow survives... because in that moment in time, both men needed each other... to mourn, to derive some small measure comfort in their common loss. In that moment, perhaps I resented CSH a little for being there instead of PHY, but then I remembered that she too, needed to hear his voice, she who has waited unwaveringly, futilely for 15 years. How apt, that in that moment, she needed to rail at the man who finally came home dead, even if we wish she didn't, knowing time is of the essence. However, while fearing the consequences, I understand and support her choice to warn him of his impending death. She has lost him once... and she would certainly not miss the chance to try and save him. And who's to say her intervention may not be exactly what LJH needs to forewarn and forearm himself going into Sunil Psychiatric Hospital 5 months hence.

At present, we know that LJH is still alive, it being Jul 29th, 2000 in his timeline. We know his original fate and how he was supposed to die through KSB's recount of the events that fateful night. We know too, that he now knows that is where and when he dies. The past has started to change... this time with CSH's hand adding a new variable into the mix. Will LJH survive this time, and by extension PHY? It is as what PHY once said... that he does not know who would suffer the fallout of their intervention, but the fact that those they set out to save ends up surviving, means there is hope. And this is the hope I am clinging on to, going into the finale.

@selenette @allegramente

I had the same feelings: I resented her because she was too focused on LJH and her pain due to her loss. When she warned him about his death (date, location), she really thought, she could save him but she is wrong. LJH doesn't fear death, he will never give up. Hence to me, she has never really known LJH. When she discovered his first love had died, she was devastated. She had no idea about LJH's commitment and she had no idea about KBJ's evilness. She even witnessed how KBJ searched through LJH's mails but she didn't stop the chief or told LJH about it. She was naive back then and her love for LJH blinded her. 

When she was talking through the talkie-walkie, she was in my opinion selfish again, because PHY is actually accused of murdering a cop but she only thinks about LJH. Moreover, when LJH gave her the watch, it was clear that he liked her but he didn't want to start a relationship, yet she couldn't stop loving him and decided to change the precinct that's why she appeared that night and LJH told her to wait for the weekend. So when she arrived in Iljan, she was determined to follow LJH and have a relationship with him. That's why I do think, CSH did something wrong.

If she hadn't been clueless, less emotional and more focused on her work (dropping the bottle, hurting her foot, sleeping on LJH's bed aso), she could have changed PSW's destiny. She never asked why LJH's best friend quit so suddenly. She never questioned herself why LJH had to be transferred. To me, CSH couldn't see anything except LJH. @enigmatic_zephy is right: CSH was in the past like that but when LJH disappeared, she was so hurt but determined to find him hence she became a really good cop. LJH's death is the reason why she changed and no wonder if LJH was so surprised by hearing the news.

11:23 pm isn't just LJH's time of death. I also believe, PHY will also die 11:23 pm that's why they are connected. Remember, the meeting was 11:00 pm. So until the ambulance comes aso, time passes and he will be declared dead. But this might trigger something in CSH: she will realise that it isn't just about LJH's death. I do believe, the transmissions are there in order to stop this injustice.

Archived