Nam Joo Hyuk 남주혁

melleri

@aisling about Coffee Friends, mmm I think so or rather I watched all the short clips on YouTube where there were Eng subs. He has a nice and considerate personality. His caring nature showed in variety shows during his earlier days too (Three Meals a Day 2016, Handsome Bros). The latter was a silly one with his bestie Ji Soo. It’s the sort of show where the cameras were hidden and they don’t know when they were filmed to make them comfortable and act naturally. I remembered there was this bit where JH and his friend were eating and JH suddenly gave the next table his water bottle as they couldn’t catch the waitress’s attention in the noisy crowded restaurant. A small gesture like that can really tell about him as a person.

Josee is being screen first in a number of countries other than Korea. If you, like me, are not in one of those (US, Canada, Singapore, Vietnam, etc) then sadly we have to wait a while :(

• Love 1

@inBinJinitrust He is very caring, that’s something he and Do San have in common. I’ve seen this in Coffee Friends where he was praised as the most efficient worker. He always went to help others when he finished with his work. 

Sadly, I don’t live in either of the countries you mentioned... This makes me so sad... Josee seems to be a perfect film to watch in a winter time.

In the recent interview Han Ji Min praised Joo Hyuk for his passion for acting and his pure heart. I’m happy to read they encourage each other even when they’re not doing the same project. It seems like they’ve become close in real life. I mean, how can you not become close if you shoot two heart wrenching projects in row together? 

2048-C902-A325-4-A69-B4-CF-439-C0754-D02

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIfE_BsJU4T/?igshid=41w2jnln3prs

Also HJM seems to be relaxed enough about joking about his abs :lol:

2-EC45332-BAF1-45-AA-B1-A3-8-FA1-B3560-E

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIbFXZAp417/?igshid=6qfshf9jrreo

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

• Guest changed the title to Nam Joo Hyuk 남주혁

Hello! I’m a new Nam Joo Hyuk fan here. Became a fan since I watched Start Up, and that led me to watch countless videos of his on YouTube to get to know this actor better! 

I am quite surprised that his Soompi forum is very quiet, when he has so many followers on IG. Guess the type of people who follow him are not quite the Soompi forum goers type of demographic? 

anyway I see a few recently active ppl here like @inBinJinitrustand @aisling. Thanks for sharing whatever info you know about him here recently! Good to know there are people actively following and updating his news here. I just caught up on all those interview articles online too (usually use Papago Naver translate tool haha). 

I found one new interview here that explains why and how he chooses his roles, it’s a very interesting read! 
https://www.google.com.my/amp/m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.amp.asp%3fnewsIdx=300622

Love how humble, hardworking, authentic he is. He may still be a work in progress but his growth seems to have been tremendous from what I’ve read so far! 

here’s hoping with more people starting to post here, it will encourage more of his fans to build a community here on this Soompi page of his too!  :hwaiting:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@The Reel Life welcome :) Joo Hyuk had a line in a previous drama which I find quite true “once you fall for me, there is no way out”. Haha. Joking aside, really love him for his authenticity, honesty, ethics, sports spirit and his kind, caring nature. Yes please join in keeping the posts going. My guess was that Soompi users tend to be more old school/ older in age. Joo Hyuk’s fan base is very young compared to the fan base of veteran actors (Gong Yoo, Hyun Bin, Son Ye Jin etc etc) who either don’t have social media accounts or don’t update much hence Soompi became the go to place to read about their news. The majority of Joo Hyuk’s fan base seem more active on IG and Twitter. 

Let us try to keep this thread live and going:wub:

• Like 1

This is a very nice interview of Joo Hyuk! 

I think it may have been covered in some articles shared above (if yes then my apologies because sometimes the interviews come from the same source but written differently haha). 

https://www.google.com.my/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-drama/article/3113485/nam-joo-hyuk-netflix-series-school-nurse-files-why-he-loves

love how he wants to challenge himself to take different roles, it can definitely be seen through his repertoire so far. Also his attitude towards love. Giving his 100%!  :winkx:

while he may not be as great as other actors yet and definitely still has room for improvement, he is on the right track and I believe he will slowly get there :) the right attitude trumps many things, and his attitude towards life and work is just so commendable! 

I remember him saying he lives by 3 things:

1. Always trying to be a better person

2. Never stop moving

3. Embrace new challenges

All these, hopefully with the right opportunities that come his way, will take him far. I think Soop seems like a good management agency who will care and invest in his career. Hopefully he gets more interesting projects to come! I personally love how delicate acting is. His acting seems to skew more towards melos these days (which I love), but would love to see him do comedic role or something more flamboyant, or a role that requires him to be loud(er) like Joon Hyun haha. I want to see more of his cheeky and happy side! 

On 11/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, inBinJinitrust said:

An adorable old video back in the days promoting for The Great Battle. Joo Hyuk is not a pro singer hence lacking breathing management techniques. But he has the perfect pitch and a really beautiful voice which is much more mature than his age :heart:

Also thank you for sharing this @inBinJinitrust and also another of a video on IG taken during his fan meeting singing 기다림 his fav song. I just love his voice! He should totally try out singing an OST in the future. His voice is so mature and deep, and his singing tone is so soothing and pleasant to the ears. And his voice can be powerful too, totally not a candy voice. I just wish he wasn’t so shy then we’d get more of his singing. But he’s soooooooo shy to a fault lol. 

An example hahaha 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIs7y_9pJVf/?igshid=17ptfdxbggqjf

• Like 1

@The Reel Life off topic but is that Jang Hyuk in your profile pic? I’m just wondering if we maybe from around the same generation lol

When it comes to Korean actors, I will only say I’m a fan of Gong Yoo, been his fan for over 13 years. I never thought one day I would fall for another who even turned out to be much younger than me :wub: well maybe I have a thing for Busan men (sincere, honest to the point of being rather blunt- both GY and JH are from Busan), but really I love everything about JH as a person. Surely I was impressed with his height and manly but boyish handsomeness, but that came much later. When I first knew of him in 2014 he was only a boy lol. It was his characters, outlooks and attitude that really got me. I will share archives of his earlier interviews after debut that I had saved over the years. Even his taste in arts (music, films etc) is very compatible with me too haha. He is always mature for his age. When he was only around 21, he already enjoyed the kind of music like Damien Rice, and his favorite Korean music is also “oldies”. 

Talking about his beautiful voice, the director of Josee cast him first even before the FL Han Ji Min, because he really likes the sound of JH’s voice. Josee is just released in Korea and a number of other countries. It is his second movie and also his first leading movie role. 

If you haven’t already, I would highly recommend Dazzling/ The Light in your Eyes. It is mine and @aisling ‘s most favorite in JH’s entire career so far. The drama itself is probably among the best ever made K dramas:heart:

• Like 2

Thank you @inBinJinitrust for introducing us to NJH singing lol! He is young but he sings like an old man hahaha I saw in his interview with HJM, apparently he is obsessed with karaoke :D

He and HJM singing Aloha together :blush:. After Start up, I watched The light in your eyes because so many people mentioned it lol and it was such a unique/beautiful drama but .... too sad :tears: I am glad NJH is challenging himself in so many different types of drama!  I usually don't have a favorite actor... but I think I might follow his projects from now on! :blush:  

• Like 1

@Kabi your welcome :) JH sings beautifully and he does sing at fan meetings however there are hardly any high quality videos for me to upload here and share. He is also shy and under pressure he won’t sing properly :sweat_smile: 

I love him but honestly I can say without bias that he is very serious about building his crafts hence he enjoys taking on diverse and challenging roles :heart:B63-F591-D-40-D7-4-BB6-8-F6-B-F3-F531-BD

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 11:45 AM, inBinJinitrust said:

off topic but is that Jang Hyuk in your profile pic? I’m just wondering if we maybe from around the same generation lol

Ah @inBinJinitrust super late reply but here goes! 

Yes you’re right! It’s Jang Hyuk (another JH) lol. He is one of my most fav all time Korean actor. I’m not in Jang Hyuk’s generation haha. Am younger than him. Did you know that Jang Hyuk is also from Busan! What a coincidence now that Joo Hyuk that I’ve come to really like is also from Busan! They say Busan man are usually quiet and shy with a unique sense of humor and like you said honestly blunt, and I can see the similarities and those traits in both of them :P

When it comes to Korean actors, I will only say I’m a fan of Gong Yoo, been his fan for over 13 years

Wow that’s a long time! Well I haven’t watched any Gong Yoo shows before, largely because I don’t watch much Korean movies where he usually acts in, and I’m not a fan of the Goblin type of genre hehe. But I have seen some of his interviews and I agree that he seem to be such a grounded person despite both his hallyu and credible actor status. 

I will share archives of his earlier interviews after debut that I had saved over the years.

Yes please! Would love to read them. I feel like he doesn’t get as much “buzz” as other k-actors despite the number of followers on his IG. At least doesn’t seem as buzzy in Korea as others in his generation or those actors in their early 30s? But perhaps I could be wrong. Seems like he has a stronger footing internationally than in Korea? Do you know if that’s the case? 

But like someone said before, I really enjoy the direction he is taking his career. Despite his insanely good model looks, he isn’t taking on merely swoony or “safe” roles. Instead, his repertoire is quite impressive at this young age and the type of roles he plays are pretty meaty. I hope that he slowly builds his acting skills even more to be able to lead heavyweight scripts in the future! 

On 12/16/2020 at 5:10 AM, Kabi said:

He is young but he sings like an old man hahaha I saw in his interview with HJM, apparently he is obsessed with karaoke :D

Haha true, I love his singing (well and speaking too haha) voice! His strength is really in his tone. Having a pleasant tone really a gift.  I really liked when he sang his favorite song 기다림 as well as Yeosu Night Sea. The Yeosu one he sang on the entertainment show was pretty pitch perfect but his fan meeting ones are sometimes abit off tune hahahahhaa. I think it’s because he’s so nervous LOL :sweatingbullets:

If you haven’t already, I would highly recommend Dazzling/ The Light in your Eyes. It is mine and @aisling ‘s most favorite in JH’s entire career so far. The drama itself is probably among the best ever made K dramas:heart:

I am currently watching! On episode 5 right now. I just realized it is only 12 episodes. Was hoping it was 16 so that I get to see more of him :brokenheart:

@The Reel Life ah I didn’t mean that you were same age as Jang Hyuk haha. I meant for us whose favorite actors were born in the 70s like Gong Yoo , Jang Hyuk etc, we are unlikely to be around the age of most of JH’s fans who call him oppa. And no I didn’t know Jang Hyuk was also from Busan! Now I really really believe in the Busan men stereotype lol. I remember watching Jang Hyuk in Windstruck back in 2004 and really liked him there. But that was the only project of his that I have seen so far so I don’t have knowledge of his work. Gong Yoo for example is a very talented well rounded actor who shined in all genres- he had done comedy, thrillers, war, action, melo, fantasy, sci fi, romance etc which I really appreciate. But of course it would be boring if all of us like the same person.

Back to JH, it is for the same reason that I love him so much. He chose humane roles rather than inauthentic characters. He doesn’t just capitalize on his appearance like many other handsome actors, but works tirelessly to make a better version of himself everyday. His mindset is still the same as from his debut days13-B52-C37-5-AFF-475-F-821-D-B62-EF5-D7-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inBinJinitrust said:

ah I didn’t mean that you were same age as Jang Hyuk haha. I meant for us whose favorite actors were born in the 70s like Gong Yoo , Jang Hyuk etc, we are unlikely to be around the age of most of JH’s fans who call him oppa

Oh oh now I get what you mean! Haha yes I need to call JH dongsaeng lol. Not oppa for sure haha. Maybe that’s why there seems to be a gap in being able to engage in meaningful discussions about him with his fans on Soompi here, not many of those who call him Oppa come to his page! Hopefully his future repertoire will garner him more fans of diverse demographics. 

Thanks for the article @inBinJinitrust! Love it! The athlete/sportsman mindset is always always a very commendable one to have, I’m so glad it stuck with him even though his no longer playing basketball. Goes to show that he strives for excellence in his craft. Have you also read a recent write up about him? I read it on Naver (translated it using Papago) and it was a really lovely article about the writer somewhat saying that (I’m paraphrasing) NJH is somewhat likened to Jo In Sung and has a bright career ahead... Not saying he is at JIS level of course, he still has a long way to go and grow, but it’s still such a nice recognition of his potential. Gotta pardon some of the odd translation from the app! :sweatingbullets: enjoy the article! I’ll leave the rest under spoiler because it is too long. 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/119/0002452550

Three years ago, actor Jo In-sung, who played General Yang Man-chun, was thirsty for praise of Nam Joo-hyuk as the role of Samulnori.

"Good job, hard work. It's very sentimental. Don't you think his eyes are a bit different? I don't know what it's like to say, but I think I'm seeing myself in the past, I don't think it's a coincidence that I'm starring in a movie like this, and I think it's going to be a great actor."

Spoiler

I'm sure there are a lot of junior actors. They're using the term 'second Jo In-sung' to give a lighthouse to Nam Joo-hyuk's path. "No, it could be upside down. Later on, the parable could be an honor to me," he said. More than ever, I thought he was playing the leading role in and out of the movie, but Cho In-sung's eyes were correct. Since then, Nam Joo-hyuk has been showing off his solid charm in home theaters and screens.

Lee Jun-ha in the drama "The Light in Your Eyes" takes the pain inside, Hong In-pyo, a Chinese character teacher in "Health Teacher Ahn Eun-young," and Nam Do-san in "Start-up" has a unique stiffness of engineering students. All three characters have something in common, but they seem to be slow to walk and not good at expressing their emotions. There is a classical beauty like a person from a generation or a generation ago, and there is no sense of agility and agility. Although it looks like a disease in love, there is nothing more exciting than a person who has been walking backward rather than running forward and confessing.

Lee Young-seok of the movie "Joseo" (directed by Kim Jong-kwan, produced by Ball Media Co., Ltd., and distributed by Warner Brothers Korea) has a sense of reality rather than drama characters. Whether it's a male or female professor, they know how to match the code and do what they want and tell them to do, and they know how to enjoy it lightly with their juniors. Then, life changes from when Young-seok lifts up Jose (Han Ji-min) who is lying on the road with a wheelchair, and from when I keep wanting to do something for Jose. That doesn't change people, but it goes without saying how pure and dedicated Young-seok's love for Joje is.

All characters rely on the colors, scents, and feelings of the actor. Nam Joo-hyuk is very strong. The loneliness of Lee Jun-ha, the shyness of Hong In-pyo, who walks with his legs limping or teaches Chinese characters, and the kindness of Nam Do-san, who is clumsy and kind, also fits well with the love of Lee Young-seok, who stays with him at this moment. So, Nam Joo-hyuk goes around and expresses the person who makes his place in the other person's mind so well that it's not too noticeable or insufficient.

The virtue of Nam Joo-hyuk's acting lies in its naturalness. Even if he is not a common character these days, it gives him a sense of reality that he might be in some corner of the world. Nam Joo-hyuk's naturalness peaks in tears. In the drama "Start-up," the scene of Seo Dal-mi (played by Bae Soo-ji) crying like a baby at a drinking party with her friends, and her fingers pressing down on her red face to cover her tears are white. I feel like I'm really crying because I can't say it's acting. At the end of the movie "Jojo," he burst into unbearable tears at the words of Jojo, who delivered much greater love than his own, and apparently kept seeing Nam Joo-hyuk's hot tears while showing only his back. Yes, if Young-seok cries at that moment, he will cry just like that.

Going back to the beginning and putting these modifiers in front of Jo In-sung, it is not possible just to act well on tall, good eyes. Jo In-sung is the prince of melodramatic acting. I can't forget the tears that were pouring out of my palm in the drama "What Happened in Bali," and the red lips were all soaked in tears and runny nose. Not because someone died, but because of love. The movie "Anshi-sung" did not tell whether Nam Joo-hyuk would act well as a melodrama. It's different now. Nam Joo-hyuk's melodrama began in the fall of 2020 and is melting the winter cold wave.

The title goes beyond 'second Jo In-sung.' There are two reasons. The days called 'second' are promising rookies. Nam Joo-hyuk has become a leading actor. The second reason is that he has established his own style of melodrama, which is different from Jo In-sung. Unlike Cho In-sung's hot and desperate love, Nam Joo-hyuk's love is lukewarm but therefore warmer. It is worth feeling the warmth of the senior and the warmth of the junior.

Exceeding the "second Jo In-sung" does not mean that he has exceeded Jo In-sung. There is no reason to fall for it, and it exists in its own color and direction. However, Nam Joo-hyuk's name is still the second in the ending credit. Although it is already a frightening rise, I would like to see Nam Joo-hyuk's emotions responsible for the work.

• Love 1

@The Reel Life thanks for this! I have seen this article but haven’t got a chance to share here as I still struggled to find a good source of translation. I’m looking forward to chatting about TLIYE once you finish.

Meanwhile, 2020 is a challenging year to many. But perhaps it is the most memorable yet for JH with 2 dramas and 2 movies (“Remember” had finished filming and will be aired next year), not counting CF and brand endorsements achievements. And 3 magazine cover just in the month of Jan, 2021. Hope he continues to shine and gets to do as much as he wishes prior to his enlistment 

1082-FF7-D-F9-C1-4-E26-BC88-3956-C339-E634-A329-BB-15-EE-4-B20-AA3-E-BFF47-B6-D3BDBD6-A55-193-F-4884-9-DA1-5-E34790-A793

• Like 1