[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

@sanaeozora

Tnx for your detailed explanation..I love it & somehow see the Big picture there...I am more fund of their love story than the lead one but of course that's how the story goes...I hope that the epilogue episode will show both of the couples have a Happy family just like the pic where YSJ is holding a cute little Baby...

:heart::heart::heart:

• Like 3

Thank you guys so much for all the quick updates and contribution to keep this thread lively, kudos to you ^_^ 

"You're my everything" is one of my top favorite of DOTs' OST, watching Gummy's performance today on Music Bank gives me goose bump and no idea when she sings the last words, I burst into tears because of acknowledging that the drama reached its destination. But thanks to this place, I know I'm not alone and as long as we remember about DOTs, it is being continued :)

@dalinhafans Yes I noticed about it too :blink: many people expect from that detail there'll be a hot scene but turned out there wasn't, so I wonder if they'll included it into the special episode that will be on air next week, maybe it's a hint to a incoming  baby? :lol:

• Like 11

Sorry if someone had brought this up already but I ve back read but didn't managed to see anyone talk about this ! 

1. Did I missed out the feet scene in epi 16 while both Cap Yoo and Dr Kang is lying down ? I thot I saw that as a Preview somewhere ??

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stitch09 said:

@sanaeozora

Tnx for your detailed explanation..I love it & somehow see the Big picture there...I am more fund of their love story than the lead one but of course that's how the story goes...I hope that the epilogue episode will show both of the couples have a Happy family just like the pic where YSJ is holding a cute little Baby...

:heart::heart::heart:

It's not a secret to those who've been reading my posts that I did feel closer to Myeong-joo's character than I did to Mo-yeon's, specially during the first episodes of the drama, as I am someone who firmly believes that there's nothing more empowering than allowing yourself to truly love someone. That feeling you get does give you the strength you need to overcome whatever comes your way and I did admire the fact that, no matter how tough things got, Myeong-joo NEVER gave up hope that she and Dae-young would end up being together. She fought with everything she had and I find this deeply inspiring. 

Of course, this does not take anything away from the first couple. Once again, I feel that they did manage to balance things out pretty well and, and even if there were moments in which I feared that Dae-young and Myeong-joo's lovestory would end up outshining Shi-jin and Mo-yeon's one, but thankfully, I think the writers were incredibly skillful to give each couple their own moments to shine and we ended up having two stories that not only complemented but also enhanced each other.

All four members of the two OTPs, did gain something from each other. Mo-yeon gained courage from Myeong-joo, seeing how Myeong-joo's only fear was not being with Dae-young, while Myeong-joo found in Mo-yeon, not only a colleague in the medical field, but also a confidant and ultimately, a really close ally in their daily struggle to cope as girlfriends to the Dumb&Dumber pair. Dae-young and Mo-yeon also found themselves in tune, specially when they were both running from their fated partners and the two did respect each other from the get go. As per Shi-jin and Myeong-joo, they were the best when they were together, both being army brats and having to deal with the odd situation of having been betrothed to each other without their consent. 

And anything that can be said about Shi-jin and Dae-young's epic bromance will be probably illustrated when they will get the Best Couple award in this year's ceremony. I wonder if they'll just give a collective award to the four of them instead? What could be the name of the award I wonder? Perhaps, Best Quartet Ever? 

• Like 11

My old man is going nutso on me.. Hahaha

I am watching DOTS again after finishing it and were rewatching it for the nnth time already.. My husband asked me on how long will he keep watching the same drama over and over again?!!! He said there are other many drama out there than this one you know and I said NO OTHER KDRAMA OUT THERE THAT AS ILLOGICAL, CRAZY, FUNNY,SWEET NERVE WRECKING AND OUTSTANDING AS THIS ONE AS OF YET! So im going to watch it and re watch it over and over again until I get tired of it.. Which is probably never!! My old man said I need to go back to work!!! Hahahah

• Like 11

btw guys i hear there's 4 actor turn down the casting for yoo sin jin

1. Jo in Sung > maybe cuz before he already act with Hye Gyo

2. Won Bin 

3. Kim Woo Bin

4. Gyo--something ahahaah forget the name

and  it think Song Joong Ki is the best choice to play Yoo Si Jin character, glad he get this role, he's really lucky, i can't imagine BIG BOSS was played by another actor

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CatWhiskers said:

I just rewatch Ep 15 & 16 with Eng subs. And I have to tell you. Ep 15 is one of my FAVOURITE episode. Despite crying every single time through the 2nd half of it. 

Here are some of my takes on my favourites of this episode:-

1. YSJ's letter to KMY. It was so heartfelt. One could feel his anguish and how sorry he was that he has to leave her (after working so hard to start a relationship with her). I cry so hard when YSJ read the lines, " You shine brightly in my life. I am glad I met you and I fell in love with you (another sub was "that I love you")"  

2. The part where KMY hugged the doll and walk past the cafe and immediately the music starts with a flashback. (Really good directing there!) And I know that song the moment I heard it. It was a really good song choice.

Here is part of the lyrics:-

How long will I love you?

As long as stars are above you & longer if I can....

As long as the seasons need to, follow their plan...

And the song connects to KMY. She tried so hard to live on but she could not help missing him and loving him. And the song says it so nicely that she will love him forever and there would always be a special place in her heart for him. How long will she love him? Forever. The stars are always in the sky, and seasons always change. Therefore, forever.

3. The candle scene in KMY's house. How KMY maintains a stoic front in front of her colleagues n friends and works like normal. But alone at home, she breaks down thinking about him. And we know throughout the whole year, she could not let him go. (She admitted in Ep 16, the camp scene where she tried to let go of the stone, and to YSJ, how often she thinks of him.)

4. The desert & her miracle (which I mentioned earlier in my post) Come to think of it, YMJ got her miracle too. It snowed for the first time in 100 years in Uruk and SDY came back to her. 

Btw, did anyone notice the repeated reference to stars? 3 times the writer uses it. When KMY cried and YSJ comforted her by showing her stars in the sky,  YSJ letter to KMY where he said she came to his life brightly and in EP 16, on the ship, YSJ said he caught a star (referring to KMY) and she is beside him, shining brightly and how his life has brighten up. Interesting. Stars have always been use as metaphors for love,beauty and is always symbolic for eternal. Stars also serve as guides for sailors in the sea, in particular the Northern Star.

YSJ uses the stars to describe KMY. Like the stars, she brings warmth and light to his life. And like the stars, she is his guide and reason to come home. He seek her out immeditely as soon as he is able after being MIA and I think the 1 year separation has given him deeper appreciation and if not, love towards her.  Being a soldier is tough and how KMY come into his life and stay, you can see how grateful he is in Ep 16. It's like he still can't believe KMY is his after the things he put her through. It is so romantic and heartfelt. 

Sorry for the long post. I cannot cannot get over how awesome is Dots. I have never come across a Kdrama written with a poetic taste to it. My Weds n Thurs will never be the same again.  And like how the KMY shine for YSJ, Dots has shine for me. 

@CatWhiskers

Many thanks for ur post! I think it is very well written. Esp on ur point on the song. The answer to how long, is forever. The writer implied that YSJ will always hv a special place in KMY's heart through the song

Great analysis!!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, CatWhiskers said:

I just rewatch Ep 15 & 16 with Eng subs. And I have to tell you. Ep 15 is one of my FAVOURITE episode. Despite crying every single time through the 2nd half of it. 

1. YSJ's letter to KMY. It was so heartfelt. One could feel his anguish and how sorry he was that he has to leave her (after working so hard to start a relationship with her). I cry so hard when YSJ read the lines, " You shine brightly in my life. I am glad I met you and I fell in love with you (another sub was "that I love you")"  

2. The part where KMY hugged the doll and walk past the cafe and immediately the music starts with a flashback. (Really good directing there!) And I know that song the moment I heard it. It was a really good song choice.

And the song connects to KMY. She tried so hard to live on but she could not help missing him and loving him. And the song says it so nicely that she will love him forever and there would always be a special place in her heart for him. How long will she love him? Forever. The stars are always in the sky, and seasons always change. Therefore, forever.

3. The candle scene in KMY's house. How KMY maintains a stoic front in front of her colleagues n friends and works like normal. But alone at home, she breaks down thinking about him. And we know throughout the whole year, she could not let him go. (She admitted in Ep 16, the camp scene where she tried to let go of the stone, and to YSJ, how often she thinks of him.)

4. The desert & her miracle (which I mentioned earlier in my post) Come to think of it, YMJ got her miracle too. It snowed for the first time in 100 years in Uruk and SDY came back to her. 

Btw, did anyone notice the repeated reference to stars? 3 times the writer uses it. When KMY cried and YSJ comforted her by showing her stars in the sky,  YSJ letter to KMY where he said she came to his life brightly and in EP 16, on the ship, YSJ said he caught a star (referring to KMY) and she is beside him, shining brightly and how his life has brighten up. Interesting. Stars have always been use as metaphors for love,beauty and is always symbolic for eternal. Stars also serve as guides for sailors in the sea, in particular the Northern Star.

YSJ uses the stars to describe KMY. Like the stars, she brings warmth and light to his life. And like the stars, she is his guide and reason to come home. He seek her out immeditely as soon as he is able after being MIA and I think the 1 year separation has given him deeper appreciation and if not, love towards her.  Being a soldier is tough and how KMY come into his life and stay, you can see how grateful he is in Ep 16. It's like he still can't believe KMY is his after the things he put her through. It is so romantic and heartfelt. 

Sorry for the long post. I cannot cannot get over how awesome is Dots. I have never come across a Kdrama written with a poetic taste to it. My Weds n Thurs will never be the same again.  And like how the KMY shine for YSJ, Dots has shine for me. 

exactly how I feel about them, their relationship is as strong as bright and will last forever like star in the sky :heart: 

it's worth the chase, because once KMY accepts him, she accepts him for life and even in another life :wub: being rejected 4 times is nothing when in the end you have her all by yourself :lol: damn lucky you, Captain Yoo :lol: 

SJK and SHK did awesome job play YSJ and KMY, I actually hope they take at least 2-3 years off small screen, spend their time for movies and other things, because I'm sure YSJ and KMY is too deep for me to watch them as other character right away. And I love their acting, don't want to miss the change to see them again in another project, just not too soon, I need to recovery from DOTS first. 

I remember last time I have feeling like this toward Kdrama was Queen InHyun's man, exactly 4 years ago, watched it live, watched again with sub, joined discussion forum, worried about the ending, bought the DVD without sub just for the infamous cut scene in last ep. Some good dramas come after that, interesting enough to watch but just that. 

DOTS got my attention when a photo of SJK and SHK leaked out, I think the scene when he told her how to use the walkie talkie, they look so fresh, so good and man in military uniform is my weak, still remember the feeling when ep 1 ended, I told myself "that's it, this is the drama that once you watched, you are unable to watch another drama for at least 4 years, your upcoming 4 years will be repeatedly re-watch this drama, poor you" :crazy:  

come to think of it, I need to buy DOTS OTS, DOTS bluray, director cuts, or whatever they offer, KBS you have all the right to take my money, hahaha :wub:

• Like 10

10 hours ago, faythe said:

I love the ending the first time. I love it even more watching it the 2nd time around. I don't mind the PPL at all. You have to remember that this is a big budget and a pre-production. If they don't have enough budget, they would have to sacrifice others and that would have been 50X worse than PPL. I have to say this is probably the best kiss scenes for Song-Song couples. They were so natural in their kisses, more so than their other dramas.It's so funny how people's reaction was so negative when the first trailers came out. Everyone said the scene between Song-Song couple were boring and no chemistry. And now Song Song couple is all everyone talked about. I don't mind that it didn't beat the "moon" drama. After all this drama only has 16 ep, whereas "the Moon" has like over 20 eps. Besides DOTS is so much more internationally famous than "the moon". Totally deserved the fame. Everyone was great and the chemistry amongst everyone was off the chart.

You said it best!!! It was one of the best kisses in kdrama! I find that SJK is a really good kisser, he knows that the best angle is to kiss the female lead lower lips & not eat the whole mouth like some male actor. From the two kisses, there are really a lot a lot feel to it, I can almost see SJK & SHK in that part & the last part when SJK pulled SHK & went for a deeper kiss, you can see that SHK wanted to hold his hand but prob find it too sensual so she left it on his shirt and not touch his skin, u know what I mean? 

I am so gonna missed this show! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, CatWhiskers said:

the candle scene in moyeon house is so heartbreaking to see....SHK nailed this scene as she really misses himm

she may appear strong infront others but when she back to home only sijin that her think...

• Like 21

:wub: DY sweetly kiss MJ :

tumblr_o5oqhgtGgS1u89bdco1_400.gif

:wub: MJ boldly kiss DY :

tumblr_o5oqhgtGgS1u89bdco2_400.gif

and me was like.. *wooohooo* :

tumblr_o5oqhgtGgS1u89bdco3_400.gif

what a way to do it in front of all the men! hahaha

i'm also happy for this couple! they also got their happy ending. thankfully!

and they got their proper kiss too! thank you KES!

:heart:

• Like 24

Finallyyy, it has ended. I thought i will cry after the final ep regardless of happy or sad ending. But i found myself laughing so hard. It is indeed a "refreshing " ending:lol: 

I have always liked KES dramas even heirs (i know many people hate heirs but it was my first kdrama so its my sentimental favorite plus lee min ho is my ultimate bias) 

It really takes a lot of confidence and courage to poke fun at her own drama. That ending volcano scene proved that, after all the rollercaster of emotions we have been thru this past 2 months, its just a drama purely created to entertain all the viewers watching it.

At the end of the day all the plot holes, inconsistencies and medical inaccuracies we have been complaining about doesnt matter at all when the emotions were played out right. Atleast there were no character inconsistencies like in other dramas where we dont understand what the hero feels or why he is acting like that. We can clearly tell what YSJ feels in every scene through his eyes alone even when he has no dialogue. Same for KMY. And there is no other character like KMY in this entire dramaland. I can 100 percent relate to her character

I am just happy that i get to watch this epic drama.:blush:

• Like 20

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예 | Wed-Thurs 10PM KST

@smiletall thank you so much for translating in such great detail and adding in more things that were missed out from a few sites. Please translate part 2 and maybe even part 3 LOL. I would seriously love to read it! Take your time as I'll be patiently waiting :D

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, smiletall said:

I have a lot of free time at the moment so I can translate since I'm still in a good mood post-happy ending. Not sure if all of these will be translated by someone else. Some were already translated by kpopherald i believe and posted. These are from the two naver articles and straight up are the Q&A posted. Some the answers seem more elaborated. And I think some are different questions though I'm not sure. Most are the same questions. But as with translations, my interpretation was a bit different. And in the previous translated ones, some extra comments were left out I think just for better flow. But they can sometimes give a better sense of character so I hope you guys enjoy. Just a way of saying thanks to you guys :D 

These are my own translations, so please credit me.

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=213&aid=0000864685

Oof. ahaha That took longer than I thought. There is a part 2 so let me know if you guys are still interested since a lot of it might be reiteration. But like I said, I think the Korean answers were a bit more elaborated which is why I thought it might still be interested. I might not be able to get to translating until much later though so just let me know! :D

And please try to keep it within this thread since I did it for the troopers here as a thanks to the awesome community here <3 

sorry to cut your post, but please do keep translating the rest of the interview, I found your translation much more easy to understand and close to what he means than the one did by kpopherald :wub: i do read Korean, but never could translate it the way you did, awesome :heart:

• Like 8

'Descendants of the Sun' finale gathered high viewership ratings as expected; Three-part special is ready for airing next week

Louise Bonquin | Apr 15, 2016 12:10 PM EDT

• Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo act out a funny scene in 'Descendants of the Sun' finale

Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo act out a funny scene in 'Descendants of the Sun' finale (Photo : You Tube/KBS )

KBS Network already aired the 16th and last episode of the widely hit drama "Descendants of the Sun." As millions of people are following the series, it was expected that the final episode will have higher viewership ratings. However, in the data that was released on Friday, the number of viewers was only 38.8 percent.

Like Us on Facebook

The outcome was 1.2 percent short of the anticipated 40 percent rating. Then again, this does not mean that fewer people have watched the ending of drama. It must be noted that the said digit is only for the South Korean audience and the viewers from other parts of Asia were not included in the counting.

Likewise, in Seoul alone, Neilsen Korea revealed that the viewership rating for the April 14 episode of "Descendants of the Sun" had reached 44.2 percent, Yonhap News reported. This number made the drama as the first weeknight series to achieve such incredibly high rating since "Moon Embracing the Sun" in 2012.

At any rate, despite the clamor for additional episodes to prolong the drama, the producers cannot grant this fans' request because it is not possible. As KBS had explained in the past, the series was filmed in advance so they cannot the alter the ending anymore. Filming also wrapped up months ago thus extending the story would be difficult.

On the other hand, viewers would be happy to know that even if there will never be an extension, they can still enjoy the series for a few days more, as the producers recently announced that they will be airing a three-part special episodes. Through the special, fans can watch the epilogue, popular highlights and behind-the-scenes of the drama, Asia Times reported.

It was said that the additional episodes will air a week after the finale of "Descendants of the Sun." To be exact, the scheduled broadcast dates are from April 20 to 22. Each of the first two segments will run for 70 minutes and this was planned to show gratitude to fans who supported the drama without fail.

Watch a happy scene in the drama's finale where girl group Red Velvet made a special appearance: 

AWESOME!!!
  • Like 19