Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kaiskloset

[Drama 2015] Warm and Cozy 맨도롱 또똣

@agdr03 and @icemaid, I think instead of Royal Ladies, we should change our names to Skinship Ladies with all the hand-holding we'll be doing when we watch Reply 1988 together. Lol. 

The story's shaping up very nicely. Like the Hong sisters, plenty of details to pick out. The director is such a troll, I wouldn't mind inviting him as a dinner guest in real life. My husband and I do that. We invite assorted group of people for a soirée at our home to simply exchange ideas and laughters, and eat good food and drink wine. Lol. You know me, I love any occasion to drink wine. And this director? I wouldn't mind drinking soju with him. He's witty. 

For instance, at the beginning of episode 2, the lead girl teases the guy to drink his milk, hurry up and grow up quickly so she can marry her. Then, before the very same episode has ended, we see the same guy having a mature conversation with his future father-in-law (troll!) and entering his own quiet room to be surprised by his own wedding party....errrr...birthday party. Her wish does come true. Lol. 

And it was so cleverly done, I doubt anybody else saw this. 

First, he supplies his own liquor for the wedding...errr...birthday. (Because even if he drinks milk, he's always been given bottles of liquor at his tournaments which he brings home.) A good friend of his tells him to take off his suit because he looks like an "old man" wearing them (implying that he DID grow up quickly to marry her. Clever trick there, scriptwriter). Then another friend turns on the volume of the TV because what is a wedding without trumpets and horns? And last but not the least, the girl grabs his hand and together they cut the wedding cake...errrr...birthday cake. 

[and get this. The lead male kicks him accidentally. Hahaha. If I were the lead male, I'd do more than kick him for stealing the girl, darn it!]

It was brilliantly done and it totally escaped the audience's notice. That's genius, I say, genius!!

I swear we've got to do a rewatch here. This show is just right for our trained eyes. 

Hmmm... I better tag a couple of people here because I think they'd like to know about this, too. Do you mind? @shooastrid @moonkeeper @.crestfallen. I think these ladies should also have joined us when we did our rewatch of Warm and Cozy. I think they'd appreciate all the details of the Hong sisters as much as we did.

Toodles!!

I would love to,thank you @packmule3 for inviting us...^^ I have watched warm and cozy,and really excited to rewatch again and to know all the details of Hong sisters!^^

18 minutes ago, moonkeeper said:

I would love to,thank you @packmule3 for inviting us...^^ I have watched warm and cozy,and really excited to rewatch again and to know all the details of Hong sisters!^^

you're welcome, dear.  We're done with our rewatch of W&C, but our friendship never ends. We've been looking for another show to ship and who knows? It might be Reply 1988. You're more than welcome to join us. We don't bite, although I've been known to bark. A lot. And snap. Yeah. I snap. 

See you later.

4 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Hmmm... I better tag a couple of people here because I think they'd like to know about this, too. Do you mind? @shooastrid @moonkeeper @.crestfallen. I think these ladies should also have joined us when we did our rewatch of Warm and Cozy. I think they'd appreciate all the details of the Hong sisters as much as we did.

@packmule3 thanks for pulling me out from my hiding here. I would love to join your future drama rewatch. :) We are still waiting for Reply 1988 to wrap up in the next two weeks. Some hearts will be broken, some other will be in awe for the unusual route that the writer takes us through. Definitely in for second viewing!

Nice to meet you all!

@packmule3 Skinship Ladies! :lol:

When I was reading your post I thought you were describing the male lead until....."the male lead kicks him accidentally."  :o :lol: From what you posted seems like quite Hong Sisters-ish! Looks like its going to be another k-drama learning experience.

To our sunbaenim guests @shooastrid @moonkeeper welcome to our warm & cozy lounge. :)     

16 hours ago, packmule3 said:

@agdr03 and @icemaid, I think instead of Royal Ladies, we should change our names to Skinship Ladies with all the hand-holding we'll be doing when we watch Reply 1988 together. Lol. 

The story's shaping up very nicely. Like the Hong sisters, plenty of details to pick out. The director is such a troll, I wouldn't mind inviting him as a dinner guest in real life. My husband and I do that. We invite assorted group of people for a soirée at our home to simply exchange ideas and laughters, and eat good food and drink wine. Lol. You know me, I love any occasion to drink wine. And this director? I wouldn't mind drinking soju with him. He's witty. 

For instance, at the beginning of episode 2, the lead girl teases the guy to drink his milk, hurry up and grow up quickly so she can marry her. Then, before the very same episode has ended, we see the same guy having a mature conversation with his future father-in-law (troll!) and entering his own quiet room to be surprised by his own wedding party....errrr...birthday party. Her wish does come true. Lol. 

And it was so cleverly done, I doubt anybody else saw this. 

First, he supplies his own liquor for the wedding...errr...birthday. (Because even if he drinks milk, he's always been given bottles of liquor at his tournaments which he brings home.) A good friend of his tells him to take off his suit because he looks like an "old man" wearing them (implying that he DID grow up quickly to marry her. Clever trick there, scriptwriter). Then another friend turns on the volume of the TV because what is a wedding without trumpets and horns? And last but not the least, the girl grabs his hand and together they cut the wedding cake...errrr...birthday cake. 

[and get this. The lead male kicks him accidentally. Hahaha. If I were the lead male, I'd do more than kick him for stealing the girl, darn it!]

It was brilliantly done and it totally escaped the audience's notice. That's genius, I say, genius!!

I swear we've got to do a rewatch here. This show is just right for our trained eyes. 

Toodles!!

I hope you guys can re-watch soon...right before it ends..its for sure will be fun, educational, eye-opening, outstanding review from Skinship Ladies.. @agdr03 @icemaid  @packmule3  ^^

Easy....easy.... like @packmule3 said let's wait for the drama to be completed first.

Also the skinship ladies need to be mentally prepared first, we have been warned -  toilet paper as table napkin.......:sweatingbullets: :lol:

By the way sunbaenim are the OST good? Those from warm & cozy are really nice. :)

8 hours ago, icemaid said:

@packmule3 Skinship Ladies! :lol:

When I was reading your post I thought you were describing the male lead until....."the male lead kicks him accidentally."  :o :lol: From what you posted seems like quite Hong Sisters-ish! Looks like its going to be another k-drama learning experience.

To our sunbaenim guests @shooastrid @moonkeeper welcome to our warm & cozy lounge. :)     

Yes, it's going to be another Kdrama "learning" experience. Lol. 

I think the Hong sisters and this lady scriptwriter have the same outlook in life and love. The Hong sisters are more zippy, however, they like play on words, metaphors, double meanings. Warm and Cozy was just light-hearted fun.

This Reply scriptwriter however -- because of the nature of the show: husband-guessing -- is out to trick you. But as long as the viewers know that she's out to get them, then it's easy to understand the fake, the feint, the troll. 

Remember how the Hong sisters trolled the viewers with the baby in episode 15? I know some ladies here became exasperated. Like, a baby misunderstanding?? Really???

As for me, my reaction was: okaaaaay, pass the popcorn please. 

I wanted to see where they were going with that obvious troll. And they didn't disappoint. GW was literally and metaphorically RATTLED. Lol. He ended up with the baby's rattle which he had to return to her. And he was also rattled, as in shaken to the core, jostled out of complacency, kicked in the stomach. 

Thats another odd thing about the Hong sisters. They're Korean, but their mindset is very familiar or recognizable to an American like me.  

There was one romcom I tried to watch a couple of weeks ago. The lady had a secret affair with an older colleague and she broke it off because the man was an emotional fortress. She couldn't breach his walls, she said. Huh?? But she had no problems undoing his zippers, did she? lol. So, no. 

Unlike the female lead in this Reply 1988. I don't think she'll be tugging any boy's zipper any time soon. Thank goodness. 

She's funny. And I don't think most viewers get her character -- 

For instance, most viewers think that the female lead would get titillated or become sexually aroused seeing naked bodies or be awkward seeing the lead male's chest. Because that's THEIR preconceived notion of how teenaged girls behave. You know, giggly.  Which is normal....

But the viewers AREN'T seeing THIS particular character. The girl grew up with these boys, for heavens sake. It's just like me growing up with my brothers' stinking (literally and figuratively) football, basketball, tennis, lacrosse, swimming, and baseball teammates. I didn't see GUYS' bodies; I just saw PESTs swarming around our house, stealing my food in the fridge, playing the electric guitar when I had to practice my violin, thinking they were too cool when I knew how sucky they really were (my brothers were the captains of their sports teams, so yeah, all the other guys couldn't compare to my brothers). 

The female lead in the story wouldn't be physically drawn or attracted to the male lead's body because she's seen him as a buddy all along. And true enough. She wasn't flustered, didn't even stutter when she saw him undressing. 

Another proof: when the lead male joined her in bed at night. She didn't even freak out. She remained half-asleep asking him to go out to a concert with him. Huh?? Does that even make sense? If she saw him as a guy, she'd sit straight up and ask "what the heck?! It's 2 in the morning, what are you doing in bed with me?!!" Kinda like Twilight when that sParkly vampire was stalking the ice maiden in her bedroom; ice maiden at least reacted correctly. She was creeped out. But the female lead in Reply 1988? She just fell right back to sleep.

And the shippers didn't see the glaring incongruity there. Tsk tsk tsk. They only saw the awww factor. The scriptwriter was trolling them big time.

At least our JJ reacted correctly when GW came to her room late at night. She thought GW had a seduction scene in mind and she at first tried to ignore him and pretend to sleep. Then she told him off "what are you doing here on my bed?" Her facial reaction was hilarious when she found out GE only needed mothering because he had indigestion. But the director set it up nicely though. Wasn't the background music all seductive too? 

And remember too how JJ would lose her train of thought or would shy away whenever GW puts his face up-close? In the shack, in the wine cellar, in the bedroom? GW wasn't undressed or anything. It was just his physical nearness that caused her the discomfort. Same thing with GW. He felt discomfort when he caught the sleeping JJ in his arms. She wasn't naked either.

The discomfort arose from the realization that the other person has become a stranger. The easy familiarity was gone. And sexual tension came in its place.

Same thing here in Reply 1988. The female lead didn't have to see the baduk player naked to be aware of him sexually. As a matter of fact, he was completely suited up. He was smoking, alone in a quiet room, in a suit, contemplating his next move. 

Lol. I'm just laughing because many people missed the sexual context of that scene. They recognized that he looked sexy, but they didn't see the subliminal message.  I'll have to explain that when we do a rewatch. And you know me, right? Didn't I apprise you ladies of the sexual innuendo behind GW's potato scene? Peeling the skin? Sexual frustration because of the blunt "knife"? The knife as a phallic symbol? Yah! That was certainly educational....

Power is a potent aphrodisiac. Ask any grown woman. Men in power suits > teenagers with bare chest. What do you think is the lasting appeal of James Bond? Why do you think he gets the lady simply by introducing himself, "Bond. James Bond." Then, compare him to ... say, Justin Beeber taking off his shirt on stage. Lol. 

Once the female lead saw her young friend in this entirely new world, she saw him in a different light. She finally saw him as a man, a solitary man, confronting the whole world, on his own terms.

Kinda like a lone wolf. And she was Little Red Riding Hood... or Little Brown Riding Hood, because that was what she was wearing.

Sigh. The male lead in the story has two things going against him, unfortunately. One: he was friend-zoned since they were childhood friends. Two: his other friend was smoking sexy in a suit. Literally and metaphorically. Lol. 

Oh well. Gotta run... I mean limp. My knee is fine now, but I still feel the ghost of a knees brace there. 

@packmule3 :D very insightful. look I'm following you here :P. Warm and cozy is a safety ride.. we all know where are we going to, and reply 1988 is a roller coaster. and your post is my handle so I will not go off track and fall. keep posting I love all your post :lol:

8 hours ago, deeand said:

@packmule3 :D very insightful. look I'm following you here :P. Warm and cozy is a safety ride.. we all know where are we going to, and reply 1988 is a roller coaster. and your post is my handle so I will not go off track and fall. keep posting I love all your post :lol:

Yikes?! You can't follow me. I think I've set my soompi settings to "no followers" a long time ago. :) 

No. I think the outcome of Reply 1988 was set from the beginning. People, from both ships, are/were just in denial. If you go back to Episode 2, that whole episode had lots of meta-jokes and teasers to give the husband away. I don't want to give the identity away either, when YOU the audience, aren't ready for him yet. I've only been releasing the inside jokes slowly so as not to cause a big uproar. 

But yes, the die is cast.

As for the chocolates, if people in both forums are still wondering how the young DS could have made a mistake....lol... the Adult DS EXPLAINED it herself. Remember? In the first episode when the Adult DS said she inhaled a lot of carbon monoxide so she must have been crazy back then? That's the reason why she messed up the chocolate and thought the jacket belonged to TK --> She wasn't thinking clearly because of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Lol. 

Didnt you get that? How come nobody's seeing this? Am I the only crazy person around? Did I also suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning? :D 

That's why I said I don't ship the couples. I ship the script. Often it's way too much fun analyzing the script and the scriptwriter than just watching and waiting for the love-lines to develop. 

I love Warm and Cozy because I love the Hong sisters first. It's a good thing that the actors were lovable too.

Hello Warmers.. It's been awhile since i was here.. Noticed that we've got new group's name which is Skinship Ladies.. Cool!.. :)

I'm spending time watching Reply 1994 nowadays.. I know it's past due drama.. Just watched for the sake of YYS aka Chilbong.. but the drama itself is good.. I was planning to watch Reply 1997 afterwards, but since my beloved friends here are suggesting group watch of another series of reply (Reply 1988), perhaps i can switch my plan and start with this series first, and catch 1997 later.. so, when do we start the group re-watch dear?

I missed you ladies. sniff. @icemaid, @agdr03, @Lhej and our maknae @violet88.

If you're up to it, sure we can do a rewatch, too, with my newfound friends from the other thread. 

@icemaid, the music in Reply 1988 is more generational. 88's. I don't know if you'll like that, but you can give it a shot. I always liked your music choice. I know Michael Jackson was popular back then over here in the US. 

@agdr03 Come out, come out, wherever you are. If you like YYS, you'll like this gummybear person, too. I know you. You root for the underdog, so you'll like him. Remember how we groused that the second lead always gets short shrift? Well, this time the underdog got the girl. The Mayor though is a good match for the Noona. lol. I still remember how spiteful he was when JJ wanted to know the "special" places around the islands and he rudely said, "NO!" his information wasn't free... But he cycled back right away and gave her the name of Windy Beach.

My husband and I are stuck in snow. #blizzard2016. Stupidly, I thought, if worse comes to worst, I can easily grill steak in the backyard. Dumb blonde, that's me alright. Just to get to the grill and clear the space around the grill, not to mention the 3 feet of SNOW on top of the grill required more work than I thought it would be.  30 minutes of shoveling for a 5 minute grill?  Uh, no. I'm vegetarian right now. 

And yes, @violet88, I recommend this show for you. There's an innocence and sweetness about it. There was one scene where the second male lead (I was right, he turned out to be the leading man) belatedly discovered that he forgot to give the girl a gift. So he quickly ran outside in the cold to catch the girl. Meanwhile, the girl -- like a typical teenager -- was lying down spread-eagle on this wooden platform. She was sleeping.

And then the guy called her name, Deoksun-ah.  

Remember what I told you before that SUPPOSEDLY your hearing is the last to go when you're dying? I think that's true.  I faint occasionally and  I can attest that I HEAR people around me although I can't see them and I can't talk to them. I hear people panicking around me but I can't reassure them that I'm okay. lol.

Anyway, the scene when this guy called her name, Deoksun-ah was straight-up Disney movie-ish. In the Disney movies, the guy is supposed to wake up the comatose girl with a kiss. But here in this kdrama, lol, he just called her name and her eyes immediately opened. 

I think for young people nowadays the concept of a simple romance is foreign. In most kdramas and the reality show WGM, this notion of an aggrandized romance is heavily pushed forward. Romance that involves holding fancy "events" or trips to theme parks or iconic do-or-die love declarations like in Titanic...those are the norms. 

I personally think it's the wrong concept of romance.  In the same way that Hollywood pushes a sexualized version of romance, Kdramas can and do push an extremely saccharine, diabetes-inducing version of romance. There has to be a middle ground. 

And I found them in shows like Warm and Cozy and Reply1988. :)

So yes, when you ladies have found time, PM me and I'll come and we can do our rewatch here ... or elsewhere. There's no need to hold hands really. It's not that scary. My prediction was right. :D

Snowball incoming!!!  Duck!

On 1/15/2016 at 10:42 PM, violet88 said:

Hello Warmers.. It's been awhile since i was here.. Noticed that we've got new group's name which is Skinship Ladies.. Cool!.. :)

I'm spending time watching Reply 1994 nowadays.. I know it's past due drama.. Just watched for the sake of YYS aka Chilbong.. but the drama itself is good.. I was planning to watch Reply 1997 afterwards, but since my beloved friends here are suggesting group watch of another series of reply (Reply 1988), perhaps i can switch my plan and start with this series first, and catch 1997 later.. so, when do we start the group re-watch dear?

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:28 AM, packmule3 said:

I think for young people nowadays the concept of a simple romance is foreign. In most kdramas and the reality show WGM, this notion of an aggrandized romance is heavily pushed forward. Romance that involves holding fancy "events" or trips to theme parks or iconic do-or-die love declarations like in Titanic...those are the norms. 

I personally think it's the wrong concept of romance.  In the same way that Hollywood pushes a sexualized version of romance, Kdramas can and do push an extremely saccharine, diabetes-inducing version of romance. There has to be a middle ground. 

So yes, when you ladies have found time, PM me and I'll come and we can do our rewatch here ... or elsewhere. There's no need to hold hands really. It's not that scary. My prediction was right. :D

Yes, yes, please!!  It would be great to do a rewatch together.  I haven't watched Warm and Cozy yet so it would be great to watch it and make comparisons to Reply 1988. I can rewatch Reply 1988 over and over and find new nuggets every time I rewatch it.  That drama is so clever and offers so much but you have to really look in order to see all that is being said without actually saying it.  That is what is so ingenious and thrilling about this drama for me, beyond whatever romance ship you are on or not on. And it is an absolute breath of fresh air, particularly if you consider the Kdrama landscape or even what Hollywood is offering these days.   If you focus only on the obvious, you are not giving this production its due regard and appreciation.  It's like drinking a $1000 wine in a paper cup along with your McDonald's french fries and chugging it in one go without appreciating its complexity, subtleties and bouquet. 

@packmule3, I love your insights.  I am curious to see your views on how the "second" male lead in Warm and Cozy compares to the "second" male lead in Reply, who actually ended up being the 1st lead, LOL.

Just wanted to say a very belated thank you to everyone who posted an analysis on this thread for those like me who are late to the game! Though I've seen the show before, I missed a lot of the deeper meanings behind conversations and actions and without this thread, I would be totally lost. So, thank you! 

I'm here!!!!!! :D

I am so sorry! I tried to log in using explorer and nothing happens so I thought let's try google chrome! For a minute I was scared because I didn't want to do another account. Anyway.....

I have missed my Royal Ladies! @icemaid   @packmule3  @violet88  @Lhej  

I hope you are all good and happy :wub:

On 1/24/2016 at 1:28 AM, packmule3 said:

I missed you ladies. sniff. @icemaid, @agdr03, @Lhej and our maknae @violet88.

If you're up to it, sure we can do a rewatch, too, with my newfound friends from the other thread. 

@icemaid, the music in Reply 1988 is more generational. 88's. I don't know if you'll like that, but you can give it a shot. I always liked your music choice. I know Michael Jackson was popular back then over here in the US. 

@agdr03 Come out, come out, wherever you are. If you like YYS, you'll like this gummybear person, too. I know you. You root for the underdog, so you'll like him. Remember how we groused that the second lead always gets short shrift? Well, this time the underdog got the girl. The Mayor though is a good match for the Noona. lol. I still remember how spiteful he was when JJ wanted to know the "special" places around the islands and he rudely said, "NO!" his information wasn't free... But he cycled back right away and gave her the name of Windy Beach.

My husband and I are stuck in snow. #blizzard2016. Stupidly, I thought, if worse comes to worst, I can easily grill steak in the backyard. Dumb blonde, that's me alright. Just to get to the grill and clear the space around the grill, not to mention the 3 feet of SNOW on top of the grill required more work than I thought it would be.  30 minutes of shoveling for a 5 minute grill?  Uh, no. I'm vegetarian right now. 

And yes, @violet88, I recommend this show for you. There's an innocence and sweetness about it. There was one scene where the second male lead (I was right, he turned out to be the leading man) belatedly discovered that he forgot to give the girl a gift. So he quickly ran outside in the cold to catch the girl. Meanwhile, the girl -- like a typical teenager -- was lying down spread-eagle on this wooden platform. She was sleeping.

And then the guy called her name, Deoksun-ah.  

Remember what I told you before that SUPPOSEDLY your hearing is the last to go when you're dying? I think that's true.  I faint occasionally and  I can attest that I HEAR people around me although I can't see them and I can't talk to them. I hear people panicking around me but I can't reassure them that I'm okay. lol.

Anyway, the scene when this guy called her name, Deoksun-ah was straight-up Disney movie-ish. In the Disney movies, the guy is supposed to wake up the comatose girl with a kiss. But here in this kdrama, lol, he just called her name and her eyes immediately opened. 

Snowball incoming!!!  Duck!

Are you still vegetarian? @packmule3;) 

Yes! I am finally out here and I am really busy with work because we are closing our main company and opening a smaller one. For awhile there I thought I may have to look for another job but the Boss asked me to come in on the smaller company so I'm good for now. Anyway I would like to do a re watch of Reply 1988 in here (or should we start another thread?) with the Royal Ladies and our new friends from Reply 1988 :) Hopefully when we do start, I won't be as busy so I can concentrate. I have to say I haven't watched a show where the 2nd lead gets the girl! Sounds like fun :)

@icemaid   miss you chingu! I am so happy for Sora's new drama! Sounds interesting! I'm only familiar with the Leading Man because of Lovers in Paris :D that is all :) Hopefully it will turn out good for her. 

I was stoked when she won the best actress award and with Oppa beside her well, swoon :wub: When is she going to watch his musical by the way? :phew:

I will try to be back if not tomorrow, Friday evening!

hugs and take care!!! :wub: :wub::wub:

1 hour ago, agdr03 said:

Are you still vegetarian? @packmule3;) 

Yes! I am finally out here and I am really busy with work because we are closing our main company and opening a smaller one. For awhile there I thought I may have to look for another job but the Boss asked me to come in on the smaller company so I'm good for now. Anyway I would like to do a re watch of Reply 1988 in here (or should we start another thread?) with the Royal Ladies and our new friends from Reply 1988 :) Hopefully when we do start, I won't be as busy so I can concentrate. I have to say I haven't watched a show where the 2nd lead gets the girl! Sounds like fun :)

Moi? Vegetarian? I eat NAILS for breakfast, remember? :)

There's one rewatch going on in the Shipper's Forum but I don't mind doing it here with the Royal Ladies. There's nobody here anyway except for us. But you'll have to do a marathon, @agdr03, and each episdoe is about an hour and 40 minutes long. Remember the 2nd lead gets the girl!!! Hurray for the underdogs. It's like Chilbongie's revenge. kekeke. 

The added thrill is we can combine it with our recollection of Warm and Cozy. I can already see it... In episode 1, JJ and GW met as teenagers because of JJ's search for her birth mother who would give her a more privileged life.  In Reply 1988, the girl and the boy met as 7? 8? year old children because the boy's father's desired to escape his memory of his dead wife. See that? Missing mothers create a hole in their beginnings. ;)

Then there was food offered as a token of friendship. GW gave JJ a slice of birthday cake, while the girl in Reply 1988 offered the shy and overwhelmed boy a fish candy. 

And oh! remember that fish bread GW baked for JJ? They were talking about being only children and we said GW offering to have a family in the future with her to compensate for her loneliness. Anyway, the same fish bread appeared in Reply series too. Weird. That food must really be some kind of comfort food for Koreans. 

If you want to start a new thread, that's fine with me, too. But where? In what forum? I prefer we move it off the drama forum entirely. I'm open to suggestions. The new thread will be ideal too as jumping board for the next Reply series. The Reply series are always contentious because of the  tedious shipping going on. We can do an "alternate" thread/reality and just appreciate the story for what it is, instead of focusing on the 'ships.

How are your boys?