[Drama 2015] Warm and Cozy 맨도롱 또똣

kaiskloset

4 hours ago, Lhej said:

I've finally retrieved my account here! I missed "liking" your posts my royal ladies! Congratulations to our Sora! It was nice to see them seated on the same table with matching outfits. And I was giddy when she thanked her Oppa YYS!

@packmule3 I'm so inlove with Reply 1988! I saw you on their thread, very insightful analyses! 

'

Hi @Lhej, I've a bunch more observations and analyses to post on the Reply 1988 main thread, but I'm limiting myself to one every two or three days because I don't want to traumatize (lol) the fragile shippers' hearts. :D

lol. I guess they don't know how I became an "immortal", do they? By posting prurient things? By posting "I love oppa's abs"? kekeke.

You know how it goes. Over here in our thread, we're free to give new interpretations and explore other avenues, even though they may be different from the mainstream groupthink. There's no gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair. But over THERE, if people outside the OTP group suggest something or I redirect their eyes to details they've missed, they resort to ad hominems. Logical rebuttals, devoid of unnecessary angst ["you hurt my feelings!!"] would be too much to hope for.   

But I'm not deterred and I'm determined that the scriptwriter Lee Woo Jong gets the proper credit for her work, like with the Hong sisters here in this thread. She writes a fine story, and it doesn't matter to me if the girl doesn't end up with the guy the public wants, as long as the script has been consistent and coherent. 

When the OTP shippers (aka Team JH) rush to judgment and eschew the opinions of the second-lead team (Team Taek), they're only getting HALF the critical analyses needed to fully appreciate the story. Now, I personally don't care whether they get it or not, but the THREAD itself and the other lurkers there DESERVE to be given both sides of the story.

*Logically, I know it's going to be JH, but the LWJ the scriptwriter had perfectly fine-tuned the story that in any eventuality she decides to switch leads, TK is also PERFECTLY suited to be the lead, too. That's how good this story is.  And while, of course, JH is easier to understand because he's the lead, the secondary character TK has to be examined more closely to see what makes him a plausible rival. What makes him tick?

If JH is such a hero, then why is there even a close challenger?  It's like the varsity team playing against the junior varsity team. If Varsity CANNOT beat JV by 20, 30 points, then there's something wrong with the Varsity team. They're supposed to WIN handily. The next course of action then for the players is to assess the weakness of the Varsity team and then explore the STRENGTHS of the JV team, in order to copy, modify, appropriate, adapt, or adjust whatever that needs to be done.  

But it is what it is. I've raised teenagers myself so I'm hardly surprised. lol,  

Anyway, hope to see you there. I'll probably visit that thread sometime because I've family and guests right now. And then my family's leaving for a ski-trip so I should have free time to post. 

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

awwwww I miss posting here!  HAPPY NEW YEAR WARMER'S!!!

hugs to @icemaid  @packmule3   @Lhej  @vvan23  @violet88 !!!

I am still a YeonSo shipper and a warmer at heart ;) I've just been busy with the holidays and my other ship from another country looks like it's taken off so I am quite happy :)

My heart skipped a beat when I saw video's from the MBC Awards of our couple together next to each other around a table being touchy (I know it was only one hand touch :P) and looking so fine together :wub: :wub: :wub:  I thought if my other ship has sailed why can't this do it too? God will probably reply, DON'T BE TOO GREEDY :lol: But anyway, I am still holding on and praying that some day, YeonSo will be together for REAL! :)

@packmule3  I am not watching any dramas as it is and not sure if Reply 1988 will attract me but do let us know when it is finished ok and maybe I can do a re watch with you :) With Sora winning Best Actress, I agree with the comment that is was her varied facial expressions and crying scenes that did it for her. I still remember when GW said I love you to her when he was drunk and her tears as a reply there was simply, priceless!!! :wub:   

18 hours ago, packmule3 said:

'

Hi @Lhej, I've a bunch more observations and analyses to post on the Reply 1988 main thread, but I'm limiting myself to one every two or three days because I don't want to traumatize (lol) the fragile shippers' hearts. :D

lol. I guess they don't know how I became an "immortal", do they? By posting prurient things? By posting "I love oppa's abs"? kekeke.

You know how it goes. Over here in our thread, we're free to give new interpretations and explore other avenues, even though they may be different from the mainstream groupthink. There's no gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair. But over THERE, if people outside the OTP group suggest something or I redirect their eyes to details they've missed, they resort to ad hominems. Logical rebuttals, devoid of unnecessary angst ["you hurt my feelings!!"] would be too much to hope for.   

But I'm not deterred and I'm determined that the scriptwriter Lee Woo Jong gets the proper credit for her work, like with the Hong sisters here in this thread. She writes a fine story, and it doesn't matter to me if the girl doesn't end up with the guy the public wants, as long as the script has been consistent and coherent. 

When the OTP shippers (aka Team JH) rush to judgment and eschew the opinions of the second-lead team (Team Taek), they're only getting HALF the critical analyses needed to fully appreciate the story. Now, I personally don't care whether they get it or not, but the THREAD itself and the other lurkers there DESERVE to be given both sides of the story.

*Logically, I know it's going to be JH, but the LWJ the scriptwriter had perfectly fine-tuned the story that in any eventuality she decides to switch leads, TK is also PERFECTLY suited to be the lead, too. That's how good this story is.  And while, of course, JH is easier to understand because he's the lead, the secondary character TK has to be examined more closely to see what makes him a plausible rival. What makes him tick?

If JH is such a hero, then why is there even a close challenger?  It's like the varsity team playing against the junior varsity team. If Varsity CANNOT beat JV by 20, 30 points, then there's something wrong with the Varsity team. They're supposed to WIN handily. The next course of action then for the players is to assess the weakness of the Varsity team and then explore the STRENGTHS of the JV team, in order to copy, modify, appropriate, adapt, or adjust whatever that needs to be done.  

But it is what it is. I've raised teenagers myself so I'm hardly surprised. lol,  

Anyway, hope to see you there. I'll probably visit that thread sometime because I've family and guests right now. And then my family's leaving for a ski-trip so I should have free time to post. 

After being "Chilbonged" in the previous reply, I promised myself to watch Reply 1988 when it's over. I peeked a little but ended watching 16eps in a week! I've never laughed and cried like that in any dramas before. I liked that they're focusing more on family and friendship this time and not on husband hunting. I was on team JH at first but after seeing how Taekie could take good care of his friends and staff also, how unselfish he was with his father's happiness, and how he could also sacrifice love over friendship like JH. Now I'm on the same boat, it doesn't matter who the husband is anymore, there are better views on the horizon so I better not focus on the sailing. (Sorry too scared to post there) It's more friendly here! 

Hoping Sora will be in a new drama soon, I miss her already.

Hello my Royal Ladies!

Looks like I am missing out here. Was too busy fangirling KS & YYS for just being seated together after 6 months! :lol:

Will come back to catch up on your posts later. (I have a visitor coming over)

In the meantime......:phew:        .Embedded image permalink

credit : nicolenicole1230

@agdr03 @packmule3 @Lhej @violet88 @vvan23 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

@icemaid

Awwww. That’s nice that the two of them sat side-by-side that evening. I remember seeing the video of their last dinner together. They weren’t even at the same table. Perhaps they wanted to avoid the awkwardness of watching THE kiss scene together since it was going to be shown on the TV for the party...

YYS was definitely embarrassed at the viewing but KS kept her sangfroid as the crowd erupted in cheers. It was a role reversal that I appreciated as a feminist. 

@agdr03 

If the scriptwriter doesn’t undergo a lobotomy at the penultimate episode, Reply 1988 should end up fine. @lhej and I will tell you if the ending’s good, and yeah, we can do a rewatch here or a walk-through first for you, so you won’t get scared. We’ll hold hands…and even sing a happy song, if you want. kekeke. 

How are your boys? I hope they had a wonderful Christmas.

@Lhej

You watched all 16 episodes in one week? Whoa! I haven’t even watched the 16th episode. I’m waiting for the Life is Ironic, Part 2 before I watch this Part 1. But sure go ahead and post here if you aren’t comfortable posting out there. This has been our safe haven since last year to post what we feel and think without fear of a backlash. Remember when I said that YYS’ face reminded me of a horse, to the utter shock and dismay of YYS fangirls? [neiggggghhhh.]  I almost skipped this rom-com because I couldn’t imagine YYS kissing our Kang Sora.

And look what happened to THAT kiss.  [yee-haw!]

BTW, did you notice the Chinese checkers on JH’s table? lol. What a choice of prop!

I wonder whether the set director is trolling the viewers there. Chinese checkers is a game with balls in TRIANGLES (~ love triangle, anyone?). The purpose of the game is to move all your balls to the opposite triangle while IMPEDING or obstructing the progress of your opposing player. Chinese checkers isn’t even Chinese in origin, it’s a German invention.

And of course, baduk >>>> Chinese checkers. [It's like Bridge >>> Old Maid.] So, what does this mean for the two guys? Foreshadowing? 

lol. I’m just shaking my head...

Take care now, ladies!

@agdr03

You are still hoping for YeonSo to be together for REAL?! :lol: After almost 6 months my delulu has waned, then tada they appeared in the MBC Drama Awards show! :o I thought they won't show up or one of them won't just "to burst that last balloon" of ours.:P Anyway that was a nice year-end gift from KS and YYS to us shippers lol.

Same here I haven't been watching any drama for awhile. Maybe we can do a rewatch of Reply 1988 hmm...

@Lhej

Now that you mentioned it, Sora & YYS did wear matching outfits! Even his ears went a little red when Sora went on stage.:lol: Like you I was all dizzy when Sora thanked YYS Oppa in her speech.:wub:

Wow you watched 16 episodes at one go! So Reply 1988 must be good. I am not familiar as I haven't watch any of the 'Reply' dramas. This is the third one right? Is it a 16-episode drama like Warm & Cozy? I usually don't watch anything more than 20 episodes.

@packmule3

Yes, kudos to KS for being so cool at the dinner party when watching the kiss scene. So proud of her.B)

After reading your post , I am curious about Reply 1988 but can you also hold my hands if we are doing the rewatch here? I am also scared.....:sweatingbullets:

4 hours ago, icemaid said:

@agdr03

You are still hoping for YeonSo to be together for REAL?! :lol: After almost 6 months my delulu has waned, then tada they appeared in the MBC Drama Awards show! :o I thought they won't show up or one of them won't just "to burst that last balloon" of ours.:P Anyway that was a nice year-end gift from KS and YYS to us shippers lol.

Same here I haven't been watching any drama for awhile. Maybe we can do a rewatch of Reply 1988 hmm...

@Lhej

Now that you mentioned it, Sora & YYS did wear matching outfits! Even his ears went a little red when Sora went on stage.:lol: Like you I was all dizzy when Sora thanked YYS Oppa in her speech.:wub:

Wow you watched 16 episodes at one go! So Reply 1988 must be good. I am not familiar as I haven't watch any of the 'Reply' dramas. This is the third one right? Is it a 16-episode drama like Warm & Cozy? I usually don't watch anything more than 20 episodes.

@packmule3

Yes, kudos to KS for being so cool at the dinner party when watching the kiss scene. So proud of her.B)

After reading your post , I am curious about Reply 1988 but can you also hold my hands if we are doing the rewatch here? I am also scared.....:sweatingbullets:

I noticed that YYS changed his jacket,he was wearing a red one on the red carpet then changed into a black one when they were seated on the table. Did you see their simple touch after Sora's name was annouced as a winner? YYS touched her back first then Sora touched his arm,squeee! 

Yes dear,this is the third and I must say the best Reply! You don't have to watch the other 2 to enjoy the latest! 

7 hours ago, packmule3 said:

@icemaid

Awwww. That’s nice that the two of them sat side-by-side that evening. I remember seeing the video of their last dinner together. They weren’t even at the same table. Perhaps they wanted to avoid the awkwardness of watching THE kiss scene together since it was going to be shown on the TV for the party...

YYS was definitely embarrassed at the viewing but KS kept her sangfroid as the crowd erupted in cheers. It was a role reversal that I appreciated as a feminist. 

@agdr03 

If the scriptwriter doesn’t undergo a lobotomy at the penultimate episode, Reply 1988 should end up fine. @lhej and I will tell you if the ending’s good, and yeah, we can do a rewatch here or a walk-through first for you, so you won’t get scared. We’ll hold hands…and even sing a happy song, if you want. kekeke. 

How are your boys? I hope they had a wonderful Christmas.

@Lhej

You watched all 16 episodes in one week? Whoa! I haven’t even watched the 16th episode. I’m waiting for the Life is Ironic, Part 2 before I watch this Part 1. But sure go ahead and post here if you aren’t comfortable posting out there. This has been our safe haven since last year to post what we feel and think without fear of a backlash. Remember when I said that YYS’ face reminded me of a horse, to the utter shock and dismay of YYS fangirls? [neiggggghhhh.]  I almost skipped this rom-com because I couldn’t imagine YYS kissing our Kang Sora.

And look what happened to THAT kiss.  [yee-haw!]

BTW, did you notice the Chinese checkers on JH’s table? lol. What a choice of prop!

I wonder whether the set director is trolling the viewers there. Chinese checkers is a game with balls in TRIANGLES (~ love triangle, anyone?). The purpose of the game is to move all your balls to the opposite triangle while IMPEDING or obstructing the progress of your opposing player. Chinese checkers isn’t even Chinese in origin, it’s a German invention.

And of course, baduk >>>> Chinese checkers. [It's like Bridge >>> Old Maid.] So, what does this mean for the two guys? Foreshadowing? 

lol. I’m just shaking my head...

Take care now, ladies!

I noticed the game but I didn't know the mechanics of the game. Are you a spy? You notice and know everything! How I wish I have the time to read all your analyses on that drama! Take care too Sunbaenim!

No problem, @icemaid. I'll hold your hand, too [Play Beatles' music "I wanna hold your hand" lol] 

But let's wait for the ending, shall we? I don't want you ladies to be Chilbonged. 

The show has lots of details to discuss, and the details are interlocked. Many details are irrelevant (like colors of the dolls and the metal gate, boxers or briefs, soup or salad) but there are also plenty of details (like the dead birds the female lead brought home to bury -- macabre but significant -- and the clocks in a clock shop that tell different times lol) which are presented in such a low-key manner that they escape notice. People won't realize their significance till it's over.  

The second male lead is also similar to GW -- childish and childlike. But with hidden strengths (and I don't mean the Clark Kent-ish type of secret powers, ok?). The lead female is sympathetic. As for the lead male? No comment because I don't want spoilers. Lol. 

My only complaint is the general ambiance of the show. It's not as pretty, airy, and idyllic as the natural location of Jejudo. I told one poster that I'm OCD so this show has been extremely challenging to watch. People talk to each other in loud shouting voices, meal times are messy with lots of food sharing (The only time we reach across the table at my home is to pass the dinner roll and gravy), people eat and sleep on the floor, toilet paper serves as table napkins (lol. I was mentally cringing), spaghetti sauce is mixed with pasta with bare hands (lol. I died), and the rooms are cramped, kitschy, and dingy (I prefer a neat, clutter-free living space). Definitely, the ambiance isn't Jejudo. 

So yeah, a rewatch is a possibility and I prefer to do it with you Royal Ladies more than anybody else.

I might invite a couple of people to join us and comment but I'll ensure that they match our group's personality first.

But let's wait and see. I hate to disillusion you @icemaid and @agdr03 since you two don't watch many Kdramas as it is. 

@packmule3

Cramped rooms I can envision as I live in a city where big living space is a luxury (housing is very expensive) but toilet paper as table napkins?! :blink: Ok I need be mentally prepared lol.

No problem we can wait for the rewatch, no hurry at all.

Thank you for holding my hand too. .

@agdr03 and @icemaid, I think instead of Royal Ladies, we should change our names to Skinship Ladies with all the hand-holding we'll be doing when we watch Reply 1988 together. Lol. 

The story's shaping up very nicely. Like the Hong sisters, plenty of details to pick out. The director is such a troll, I wouldn't mind inviting him as a dinner guest in real life. My husband and I do that. We invite assorted group of people for a soirée at our home to simply exchange ideas and laughters, and eat good food and drink wine. Lol. You know me, I love any occasion to drink wine. And this director? I wouldn't mind drinking soju with him. He's witty. 

For instance, at the beginning of episode 2, the lead girl teases the guy to drink his milk, hurry up and grow up quickly so she can marry her. Then, before the very same episode has ended, we see the same guy having a mature conversation with his future father-in-law (troll!) and entering his own quiet room to be surprised by his own wedding party....errrr...birthday party. Her wish does come true. Lol. 

And it was so cleverly done, I doubt anybody else saw this. 

First, he supplies his own liquor for the wedding...errr...birthday. (Because even if he drinks milk, he's always been given bottles of liquor at his tournaments which he brings home.) A good friend of his tells him to take off his suit because he looks like an "old man" wearing them (implying that he DID grow up quickly to marry her. Clever trick there, scriptwriter). Then another friend turns on the volume of the TV because what is a wedding without trumpets and horns? And last but not the least, the girl grabs his hand and together they cut the wedding cake...errrr...birthday cake. 

[and get this. The lead male kicks him accidentally. Hahaha. If I were the lead male, I'd do more than kick him for stealing the girl, darn it!]

It was brilliantly done and it totally escaped the audience's notice. That's genius, I say, genius!!

I swear we've got to do a rewatch here. This show is just right for our trained eyes. 

Hmmm... I better tag a couple of people here because I think they'd like to know about this, too. Do you mind? @shooastrid @moonkeeper @.crestfallen. I think these ladies should also have joined us when we did our rewatch of Warm and Cozy. I think they'd appreciate all the details of the Hong sisters as much as we did.

Toodles!!

18 minutes ago, moonkeeper said:

I would love to,thank you @packmule3 for inviting us...^^ I have watched warm and cozy,and really excited to rewatch again and to know all the details of Hong sisters!^^

you're welcome, dear.  We're done with our rewatch of W&C, but our friendship never ends. We've been looking for another show to ship and who knows? It might be Reply 1988. You're more than welcome to join us. We don't bite, although I've been known to bark. A lot. And snap. Yeah. I snap. 

See you later.

4 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Hmmm... I better tag a couple of people here because I think they'd like to know about this, too. Do you mind? @shooastrid @moonkeeper @.crestfallen. I think these ladies should also have joined us when we did our rewatch of Warm and Cozy. I think they'd appreciate all the details of the Hong sisters as much as we did.

@packmule3 thanks for pulling me out from my hiding here. I would love to join your future drama rewatch. :) We are still waiting for Reply 1988 to wrap up in the next two weeks. Some hearts will be broken, some other will be in awe for the unusual route that the writer takes us through. Definitely in for second viewing!

Nice to meet you all!

@packmule3 Skinship Ladies! :lol:

When I was reading your post I thought you were describing the male lead until....."the male lead kicks him accidentally."  :o :lol: From what you posted seems like quite Hong Sisters-ish! Looks like its going to be another k-drama learning experience.

To our sunbaenim guests @shooastrid @moonkeeper welcome to our warm & cozy lounge. :)     

16 hours ago, packmule3 said:

@agdr03 and @icemaid, I think instead of Royal Ladies, we should change our names to Skinship Ladies with all the hand-holding we'll be doing when we watch Reply 1988 together. Lol. 

The story's shaping up very nicely. Like the Hong sisters, plenty of details to pick out. The director is such a troll, I wouldn't mind inviting him as a dinner guest in real life. My husband and I do that. We invite assorted group of people for a soirée at our home to simply exchange ideas and laughters, and eat good food and drink wine. Lol. You know me, I love any occasion to drink wine. And this director? I wouldn't mind drinking soju with him. He's witty. 

For instance, at the beginning of episode 2, the lead girl teases the guy to drink his milk, hurry up and grow up quickly so she can marry her. Then, before the very same episode has ended, we see the same guy having a mature conversation with his future father-in-law (troll!) and entering his own quiet room to be surprised by his own wedding party....errrr...birthday party. Her wish does come true. Lol. 

And it was so cleverly done, I doubt anybody else saw this. 

First, he supplies his own liquor for the wedding...errr...birthday. (Because even if he drinks milk, he's always been given bottles of liquor at his tournaments which he brings home.) A good friend of his tells him to take off his suit because he looks like an "old man" wearing them (implying that he DID grow up quickly to marry her. Clever trick there, scriptwriter). Then another friend turns on the volume of the TV because what is a wedding without trumpets and horns? And last but not the least, the girl grabs his hand and together they cut the wedding cake...errrr...birthday cake. 

[and get this. The lead male kicks him accidentally. Hahaha. If I were the lead male, I'd do more than kick him for stealing the girl, darn it!]

It was brilliantly done and it totally escaped the audience's notice. That's genius, I say, genius!!

I swear we've got to do a rewatch here. This show is just right for our trained eyes. 

Toodles!!

I hope you guys can re-watch soon...right before it ends..its for sure will be fun, educational, eye-opening, outstanding review from Skinship Ladies.. @agdr03 @icemaid  @packmule3  ^^

Easy....easy.... like @packmule3 said let's wait for the drama to be completed first.

Also the skinship ladies need to be mentally prepared first, we have been warned -  toilet paper as table napkin.......:sweatingbullets: :lol:

By the way sunbaenim are the OST good? Those from warm & cozy are really nice. :)

8 hours ago, icemaid said:

@packmule3 Skinship Ladies! :lol:

When I was reading your post I thought you were describing the male lead until....."the male lead kicks him accidentally."  :o :lol: From what you posted seems like quite Hong Sisters-ish! Looks like its going to be another k-drama learning experience.

To our sunbaenim guests @shooastrid @moonkeeper welcome to our warm & cozy lounge. :)     

Yes, it's going to be another Kdrama "learning" experience. Lol. 

I think the Hong sisters and this lady scriptwriter have the same outlook in life and love. The Hong sisters are more zippy, however, they like play on words, metaphors, double meanings. Warm and Cozy was just light-hearted fun.

This Reply scriptwriter however -- because of the nature of the show: husband-guessing -- is out to trick you. But as long as the viewers know that she's out to get them, then it's easy to understand the fake, the feint, the troll. 

Remember how the Hong sisters trolled the viewers with the baby in episode 15? I know some ladies here became exasperated. Like, a baby misunderstanding?? Really???

As for me, my reaction was: okaaaaay, pass the popcorn please. 

I wanted to see where they were going with that obvious troll. And they didn't disappoint. GW was literally and metaphorically RATTLED. Lol. He ended up with the baby's rattle which he had to return to her. And he was also rattled, as in shaken to the core, jostled out of complacency, kicked in the stomach. 

Thats another odd thing about the Hong sisters. They're Korean, but their mindset is very familiar or recognizable to an American like me.  

There was one romcom I tried to watch a couple of weeks ago. The lady had a secret affair with an older colleague and she broke it off because the man was an emotional fortress. She couldn't breach his walls, she said. Huh?? But she had no problems undoing his zippers, did she? lol. So, no. 

Unlike the female lead in this Reply 1988. I don't think she'll be tugging any boy's zipper any time soon. Thank goodness. 

She's funny. And I don't think most viewers get her character -- 

For instance, most viewers think that the female lead would get titillated or become sexually aroused seeing naked bodies or be awkward seeing the lead male's chest. Because that's THEIR preconceived notion of how teenaged girls behave. You know, giggly.  Which is normal....

But the viewers AREN'T seeing THIS particular character. The girl grew up with these boys, for heavens sake. It's just like me growing up with my brothers' stinking (literally and figuratively) football, basketball, tennis, lacrosse, swimming, and baseball teammates. I didn't see GUYS' bodies; I just saw PESTs swarming around our house, stealing my food in the fridge, playing the electric guitar when I had to practice my violin, thinking they were too cool when I knew how sucky they really were (my brothers were the captains of their sports teams, so yeah, all the other guys couldn't compare to my brothers). 

The female lead in the story wouldn't be physically drawn or attracted to the male lead's body because she's seen him as a buddy all along. And true enough. She wasn't flustered, didn't even stutter when she saw him undressing. 

Another proof: when the lead male joined her in bed at night. She didn't even freak out. She remained half-asleep asking him to go out to a concert with him. Huh?? Does that even make sense? If she saw him as a guy, she'd sit straight up and ask "what the heck?! It's 2 in the morning, what are you doing in bed with me?!!" Kinda like Twilight when that sParkly vampire was stalking the ice maiden in her bedroom; ice maiden at least reacted correctly. She was creeped out. But the female lead in Reply 1988? She just fell right back to sleep.

And the shippers didn't see the glaring incongruity there. Tsk tsk tsk. They only saw the awww factor. The scriptwriter was trolling them big time.

At least our JJ reacted correctly when GW came to her room late at night. She thought GW had a seduction scene in mind and she at first tried to ignore him and pretend to sleep. Then she told him off "what are you doing here on my bed?" Her facial reaction was hilarious when she found out GE only needed mothering because he had indigestion. But the director set it up nicely though. Wasn't the background music all seductive too? 

And remember too how JJ would lose her train of thought or would shy away whenever GW puts his face up-close? In the shack, in the wine cellar, in the bedroom? GW wasn't undressed or anything. It was just his physical nearness that caused her the discomfort. Same thing with GW. He felt discomfort when he caught the sleeping JJ in his arms. She wasn't naked either.

The discomfort arose from the realization that the other person has become a stranger. The easy familiarity was gone. And sexual tension came in its place.

Same thing here in Reply 1988. The female lead didn't have to see the baduk player naked to be aware of him sexually. As a matter of fact, he was completely suited up. He was smoking, alone in a quiet room, in a suit, contemplating his next move. 

Lol. I'm just laughing because many people missed the sexual context of that scene. They recognized that he looked sexy, but they didn't see the subliminal message.  I'll have to explain that when we do a rewatch. And you know me, right? Didn't I apprise you ladies of the sexual innuendo behind GW's potato scene? Peeling the skin? Sexual frustration because of the blunt "knife"? The knife as a phallic symbol? Yah! That was certainly educational....

Power is a potent aphrodisiac. Ask any grown woman. Men in power suits > teenagers with bare chest. What do you think is the lasting appeal of James Bond? Why do you think he gets the lady simply by introducing himself, "Bond. James Bond." Then, compare him to ... say, Justin Beeber taking off his shirt on stage. Lol. 

Once the female lead saw her young friend in this entirely new world, she saw him in a different light. She finally saw him as a man, a solitary man, confronting the whole world, on his own terms.

Kinda like a lone wolf. And she was Little Red Riding Hood... or Little Brown Riding Hood, because that was what she was wearing.

Sigh. The male lead in the story has two things going against him, unfortunately. One: he was friend-zoned since they were childhood friends. Two: his other friend was smoking sexy in a suit. Literally and metaphorically. Lol. 

Oh well. Gotta run... I mean limp. My knee is fine now, but I still feel the ghost of a knees brace there. 

Archived