[Drama 2015] Shine or Go Crazy 빛나거나 미치거나

ChelseaS

Guest chajoowon

I meant he was third prince,son in current ranking because the oldest died young as we saw in the flashback.   When the series started only two of his brothers who became kings were older and living.  I knew he was the 4th oldest.   
Yeah i agree the first king must have send people secretly.  Its near impossible for WS to learn in 5 years all the skills a prince needs to know even if he is 4th in line or the 15th prince.   It takes many years to learn all the books,other skills.  

@dawnshine - In reality, YW is WS half-sister. YW father is King Taejo and her younger sibling is WW but her family name is Hwang bo. So, it means that all the daughters of King Taejo are given family name based on their mothers name. Am I right? 
I agree with you about the late king always check about WS condition. When WS came back to castle for the first time after exile, the king suddenly attack him with sword. The king tested him and he knew that it won't kill WS because WS can counter his attack. It means that the king already knew WS skill and it can be happened if he always check WS. 
I don't think that the queen really hate WS because when she kicked out WS when he talked with the current king, she seems sad. In the prince competition also, she looks glad seeing WS action until the end. Perhaps she has same reason with the late king. She doesn't want WS to be killed because of his fate as cursed prince that always be seen as the troublemaker.   

Guest madaraa5

@chajoowoon - WS was the 4th oldest son; he's the 4th prince. He has 2 older brothers of the same mother and another older brother from a different mother. YW, is atually his older half sister. WS and WW were born in the same year but WS was a few months older. He accidentally "killed" his oldest brother of the same mother - the Crown prince at that time, who was meant to be the first in line for the throne. The current (crazy) king who is his full brother is the 3rd Goryeo King. The 2nd King (of a different mother) was only in throne very briefly like 2-3 years.

From my understanding all princes were meant to have gone through some formal strict training since young. WS did have some of that until he was sent away at eight. The story in SOGC didn't focus on his childhood. But it indirectly reflected that WS is a very intelligent man who picks things up fast and possesses strong leadership - the no wishy washy but calm-minded type...all these talents and skills were what his father - King Taejoo wanted in his successor. Nevertheless the King did secretly send people to check on WS all those years, otherwise how would he know for sure WS had been always there and send EC to bring WS back to palace before he died? Typically all kings want to have everything in control, let alone he knows this son has potential to be a king. He knew his other sons are not as smart as WS (at least in SOGC), but his Queen (WS' own mother) and the noble clans disliked WS, so Taejoo couldn't directly put WS as first in line. He knew other sons (to be kings) would be somehow under the control of the noble clans led by his cousin - WSR. He had a talk with WSR to request him remain loyal to the next kings - his nephews and gifted him Taejoo's sword as a form of respect and gratitude. The cunning WSR of course pretended to agree. But he didn't expect WSR to kill him and to eat up his kingdom that soon.

@Alston9 - Technically WS did not ever see SY's face as SY from the beginning. Their first acquaintance in Gaekbong where he saved her, SY had a veil on her. When he truly saw SY's face, she appeared as Geakbong in front of him. 

WS doesn't know the existence of Se Won (the shadow). At this stage, WS doesn't even know YW family (the Hwangbo family) has been having close contact with WSR for many years. SW was sent by WSR to spy on YW in the name of protecting YW. But the smart YW knew about it and she also knew SW liked her, so she manipulated SW (it's still not very clear if YW likes SW at this point in SOGC) to tell him be her shadow and share information about WSR with her.

It's lucky for the men who have a Northstar wife. But at the same time not any man could be lucky to have a Northstar wife. The theme is destiny; SOGC wants to show that if it's meant to be for the two person to be together, no matter how far apart they were, how different their upbringing etc they would end up together. SY was a princess from Baelhae, another kingdom. WS is a prince of Goryeo. They lived a different type of life. I would say at least WS and YW share a lot of common background. But at the end the story of SOGC wants to show that distance isn't an obstacle for SY-WS because they are meant to be one true pair.

Why do I get the feeling is his uncle that poison the crown Prince when WS was young they did showed his hand and ring he used to wear standing from afar watching WS mother abusing him

akinahana89 said: Oh, by the way, Oh Yeon Seo as Shin Yool was the motivation behind this article. lol.

class="content-title"12 Dimpled Korean Actors and Actresses that Dazzle

Flash me some nice, deep dimples and I’m a complete goner. I don’t know why. I mean, they’re basically just small indentations in your cheeks caused by a muscle deformity… but I really, really adore them. Unfortunately, I wasn’t blessed with dimples, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate them on others… like these twelve great actors and actresses!

[click here to read full article]

Guest dawnshine

@Alston9 - YW and WW share same mother. YW is half sister of WS and she's older than WS in SOGC as WS and WW were born in the same year, which also indirectly shows WW didn't respect WS as much since they are same age, but also the main reason was WW thought WS was incapable. In real history, the D.O.B. of these princes and princesses were not much recorded.
Taejo actually had 25 sons  and 9 daughters. There's not much record about the daughters in history, some of their names were even unknown. 3 of his daughters married to their same half brothers and all these 3 including YW took their mother's maiden last name; in other words they were not given the "Wang" family name and therefore could marry their own half brothers. In ancient culture of Korea and also China, there was a belief that you're not supposed to marry someone sharing the same family name. 
In SOGC up to ep 10, it's not clear if YW likes WS now but she doesn't hate WS from the beginning, otherwise she would not marry him. But that doesn't mean she liked WS at the beginning. She just viewed him as one of her cards to bring her family in power for the kingdom, her other card is WW. Previously I've shared my thought that I wasn't sure if YW wanted to become the Queen for her family's sake or for her own power greed. We shall see this addressed later. So back to YW's current love status...I personally think she is starting to be interested in WS, not necessary genuine love interest, but she sees him as a capable smart man with excellent martial arts too. She remarked to her shadow that WS's martial art is of similar standard as her shadow. Even WW had to learn kungfu from Shadow all these years. So that means YW thinks Shadow = WS = best kungfu masters! LOL
Different from Shadow though, now YW realizes WS has brain and he's a prince, who's very likely and the most capable to become the next king. So all these score points for WS, not that WS wants to score points in YW's heart. LOL The love and hate thing is complicated for human-beings in general. It's always a mixture - in one situation you like this person for a certain reason and gesture and another instance you just completely dislike the same person for a different reason or even the same reason. LOL In the novel, it seems like YW doesn't have that much real genuine love interest in WS because she did beg WS for the sake of Shadow (her lover in the novel). In SOGC, this is unknown and the scriptwriter could have modified this line to make the story more exciting by introducing more hurdles between the OTP? But one thing for sure, both YW and WW are not having unconditional authentic love interest in WS and SY respectively. Even for WW, he could really like SY but his like is the type that I like you hence you must reciprocate. I personally doubt WW truly likes SY though; I just see he's treating SY as the replacement of his lost love. Anyways, enough of WW love discussion. I shall not digress. Back to YW, even if she doesn't like WS at this point now, she doesn't want SY to have anything to do with WS as she doesn't want her Queen title to be at risk. I'm sure YW would do whatever she could to get rid of SY especially once she found out SY was married to WS. 
Because right from the beginning YW already are putting her eggs in two baskets - WS and WW. She has been patiently keeping an eye on WS although WS appeared to be fooling around in Gaesang house etc. She keeps him by her side and sending spies to check on him from time to time. When she found out WW started to hide things about Gaekbong/SY and at the same time knowing WS's involvement as the secret agent and is a threat to WSR, she's shifting her bet on WS. This is the reason when she found WS severely injured, she hid WS in her room. When she saw Shadow she even further exploited him by giving him a "love" gift and then requested him not to tell WSR about WS' whereabouts and lied to Shadow WS would not be able to attend the prince competition. Behind she was helping WS to recover. When WS won, she smiled because to her, either WW or WS win, she still gains benefits. But when she saw WW ignoring her yet kept focusing on SY, she knew WW would not do her any good if he were to become the next king. That explains when WS won, she had a grin in her face. Next she attempted a soft befriending approach with WS by telling him she sees him as alliance and therefore helped him as after all they are still husband and wife and was even thinking to commensurate the marriage. However when she learned WS went to see SY, she just went ahead to negotiate with WS, but once againtoo bad for her, WS didn't accept her hands. Now she sees SY as her enemy!
@madaraa5 - To me it wasn't clear who put the poison in the food. But I get a strong vibe it's WS' own mother because she's very concerned about the prediction about WS would bring blood shed to the royal family. She wanted to remain as queen - Taejoo had 3 queens and many concubines. WS' mother wasn't the first wife. But Taejoo liked her and made her oldest son as Crown prince, even though that Crown Prince was just Taejoo's second son. Crown prince is the first in line for the throne. Naturally WS' mother was worried WS would kill his own brother, who would be the next king. Therefore she wanted to get rid of WS to safeguard Crown Prince. This is just my thoughts. I don't remember if this was clearly mentioned in the first two episodes when WS was recalling that scene. 

gumi said: akinahana89 said: Oh, by the way, Oh Yeon Seo as Shin Yool was the motivation behind this article. lol.

class="content-title"12 Dimpled Korean Actors and Actresses that Dazzle

Flash me some nice, deep dimples and I’m a complete goner. I don’t know why. I mean, they’re basically just small indentations in your cheeks caused by a muscle deformity… but I really, really adore them. Unfortunately, I wasn’t blessed with dimples, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate them on others… like these twelve great actors and actresses!

[click here to read full article]

But the list does not have Jang Hyuk in it!! You didn't find his deep deep dimple on left cheek dazzling?  .... You know, @gumi and @yoeda... I never really noticed Jang Hyuk's dimple. As in, when I was compiling the list, I definitely thought of him, but I couldn't be sure if he had one or not! I even searched on Google and browsed through a ton of photos to make sure, but it seemed to me like he just had really nice cheekbones when he smiles... T_T Maybe I should push for a sequel.... Hahaha.

dawnshine said:
@madaraa5 - To me it wasn't clear who put the poison in the food. But I get a strong vibe it's WS' own mother because she's very concerned about the prediction about WS would bring blood shed to the royal family. She wanted to remain as queen - Taejoo had 3 queens and many concubines. WS' mother wasn't the first wife. But Taejoo liked her and made her oldest son as Crown prince, even though that Crown Prince was just Taejoo's second son. Crown prince is the first in line for the throne. Naturally WS' mother was worried WS would kill his own brother, who would be the next king. Therefore she wanted to get rid of WS to safeguard Crown Prince. This is just my thoughts. I don't remember if this was clearly mentioned in the first two episodes when WS was recalling that scene. 

Guest dawnshine

gumi said: I thought it was definitely WSR who put the poison in the food. Right after the tragic scene when people died of poison, the drama showed WSR's hand....it only showed hand but that hand was wearing WSR's ring. 
I think, even though the queen was very afraid WS would end up harming his brothers, but she wouldn't have a gut to kill his own son that way....if she did have that gut, she could've killed baby WS long time ago. And she also has that teenie weenie bit of love towards her son...lol. She hates him, she's a horrible mom, but I don't think she was capable of poisoning him to death. 

@dawnshine, @madaraa5, @gumi - I also personally suspect that WSR who poisoned the crown prince. The reason is same: ring. In episode 1, at the early flashback scene there's a person watching from a far with a ring, then at the later scene it is shown that WSR wore the same ring. The scene purposely focuses on the ring, it means that there's something about that ring but I wonder why at the early flashback screen the face of the person who wore that ring is not shown. I began to think that the ring is more than one and it is worn by more than one person. There are some people that want the throne or fight for power such as WSR and YW. There are also some people want to be rich by trade monopoly. So, many people can make all kind of problems in the kingdom. They used WS status as a cursed prince to do bad things so  people will turn their head to WS as the source of all problems and they believe it. Well, it's true as the saying goes that a prophecy will really become real if people really believe it. 
I agree also that at the beginning, YW just saw WS as one of her cards to fulfill her ambition. Maybe she look down to WS like his brothers too due to his reputation as a cursed prince. It was changed after YW learned the truth that WS is the head of secret guards. She knew that secret guard is WSR enemy and it means that they have the same enemy. Furthermore, WS can hide his identity for 5 years and created trouble to WSR. She became more interested after WS won the prince competition by beating WW although his injury had not healed completely yet. She found that WS can be a formidable comrade and I think that she started to have a different feeling for WS from that time. In episode 10, there is a scene that she hold an ornament chosen by WS and recall when it happened with a little grin in her face. She also seems hurt when WS didn't take her hand. I still unsure that the feeling is love but I'm sure that there's something different from before. Geez, it's really hard to read YW expression. It is hidden very well by her cold and manipulative character.

@Alston9, YW see SY as a threat to her if her brother takes the throne all she would be is the Kings sister why settle for less when she can have more so YW see a bigger ambition then just the King sister when she's married to the King and mother to all her new goal in life now is to concur WS she see it as doing her brother a favor of allowing him to have the woman he loves and no one to stop him if she can get this done before WS takes the throne only thing is WW won;t know he will have to choose only SY or the throne which WW will choose the throne and try to make it a royal decree that he marries SY by them then when he tells his sister of his choosing they both will have learned that SY is WS first wife.. So they both will wasted to much time and effort on something they can't do anything about WW will be out to kill WS to keep people from finding out and marrying his brothers first wife and YW will won;t SY dead because she's a threat to her becoming Queen.    

Guest anomaka

valsava said: @Alston9, YW see SY as a threat to her if her brother takes the throne all she would be is the Kings sister why settle for less when she can have more so YW see a bigger ambition then just the King sister when she's married to the King and mother to all her new goal in life now is to concur WS she see it as doing her brother a favor of allowing him to have the woman he loves and no one to stop him if she can get this done before WS takes the throne only thing is WW won;t know he will have to choose only SY or the throne which WW will choose the throne and try to make it a royal decree that he marries SY by them then when he tells his sister of his choosing they both will have learned that SY is WS first wife.. So they both will wasted to much time and effort on something they can't do anything about WW will be out to kill WS to keep people from finding out and marrying his brothers first wife and YW will won;t SY dead because she's a threat to her becoming Queen.    

YW has always wanted her brother to get with SY ever since she first saw her. And at the time she was 100% supporting her brother to become King.

The reason why she wanted her brother to be with SY was because she looks exactly like her brother's first love and after talking with SY she was impressed with her.
The first time she met SY was at the Buddha eye painting ceremony and she was shocked at the uncanny resemblance and later one she had a chat with SY and said "you look awfully the same but at the same time awfully different". She later on met her brother that day and told him to go meet the assistance head of the trading company(SY), that she really liked her and he should try to get with her. To that he replied "i'm curious who she is since you're speaking very highly of her and she replied "you'll be very surprised when you meet her".  That was back in episode 3 when she wanted her brother to be king and she didn't know SY knew WS. If things had gone according to plan, she would've been the king sister and SY her sister in law. My point is, she was okay with being the King's sister.

Of course now things have changed, she's changed her mid about her brother and she's backing her husband to be the next King, and I think she'll still want WW with YS but for different reason(the relationship between WS and GB/SY). 
But I agree with you, when it comes out WS was married to SY it will be a whole new ball game.

SY telling WW that she's married and that she is married to WS, those would really be the game changers for everyone involved. I'm worried for SY. Her "family" except for Kang Myung, unknowingly gets her into trouble.

Guest dawnshine

trixie1029 said: SY telling WW that she's married and that she is married to WS, those would really be the game changers for everyone involved. I'm worried for SY. Her "family" except for Kang Myung, unknowingly gets her into trouble.

Guest anomaka

@dawnshineI have a question for you. What was the reason behind having WS married someone born under the north star? What does that actually mean? The main reason WS was a cursed prince was because it was foretold he will become a bloody King who will spill royal blood and that a lot of people would be killed. And indeed his older brother and a few palace people died when he was young and he had to be sent into exile, although he had nothing to do with that. His father then had him marry YW to "reverse" that. But then he tells him he needs to kill a lot of people including royals to strengthen royal authority and stabilize the country. What is that north star light about then? I mean if he's going to be a bloody King anyway why try to change his destiny? Or was the light about ideas that YS helped inspire?

Guest madaraa5

Get the feeling she's going to protect herself with this sentence " I, Shin Yool met Prince WS for the first time at the fight of the princes"

Clever answer