[Drama 2015] Shine or Go Crazy 빛나거나 미치거나

ChelseaS

I'm loving all the deep discussions going on here. It shows that the staff is doing their job perfectly by portraying all the conflicts going on right now. I can't wait to see what happens next and I can't wait to review it to my heart's content tonight!

However, I do have one question. With how much Wang So's vision was blurring and fading in and out... how did he write his "light" character so flawlessly?! LOL. And he has amazing brush strokes for someone who got exiled to a mountain at such a young age. Where did he learn it from and where did he get to practice it? lol.

With this episode, we also get the explanation on why the drama is titled "Shine or Go Crazy." It definitely makes sense now and it's very fitting.

akinahana89 said: I'm loving all the deep discussions going on here. It shows that the staff is doing their job perfectly by portraying all the conflicts going on right now. I can't wait to see what happens next and I can't wait to review it to my heart's content tonight!

However, I do have one question. With how much Wang So's vision was blurring and fading in and out... how did he write his "light" character so flawlessly?! LOL. And he has amazing brush strokes for someone who got exiled to a mountain at such a young age. Where did he learn it from and where did he get to practice it? lol.

With this episode, we also get the explanation on why the drama is titled "Shine or Go Crazy." It definitely makes sense now and it's very fitting.

Guest dawnshine

@madaraa5 Based on the real history, YW in fact was the queen. SY's character is fictional. The author of the novel could not alter the history part that much hence YW would remain as queen. The novel focuses only on SY-WS; their story will be unfold bit by bit from ep 11 onwards till the end. Yes YW is going to harm SY to the extend that SY would be losing her life... that's one part of the climax of the story.
@akinahana89 WS has pretty good handwriting, way better than his brother - the current king I must say. Perhaps WS is a very determined person - he could diverge all his energy and attention to what he has to do in a short time. The reading prediction does not only base on the chinese character but the way it was written. That's how SY could give various readings of the different Princes even though all wrote the same character. I think WS did learn and study in the mountains as this was part of Princes' training back then. But he didn't receive as much formal training as the rest of the Princes - read from description that WW was the one who received full training because he thought he would be a King after his father died since young. Oh yea I too wonder how on earth the weak WS wrote every stroke with strength considering he was about to faint. 

maybe YW will still be the queen at the end. A lonely queen......just like she wantedthat's why i'm curious how the writer is going to give a happy end for the otp just like in the novelthey should just give us some spoiler for the "bath scene"........>:)  The news stated that scene was supposed to air on the 17th of Feb of WS finding out GB is Hope they didn't cut that scene...since they already media played it so much

dawnshine said: @madaraa5 Based on the real history, YW in fact was the queen. SY's character is fictional. The author of the novel could not alter the history part that much hence YW would remain as queen. The novel focuses only on SY-WS; their story will be unfold bit by bit from ep 11 onwards till the end. Yes YW is going to harm SY to the extend that SY would be losing her life... that's one part of the climax of the story.
@akinahana89 WS has pretty good handwriting, way better than his brother - the current king I must say. Perhaps WS is a very determined person - he could diverge all his energy and attention to what he has to do in a short time. The reading prediction does not only base on the chinese character but the way it was written. That's how SY could give various readings of the different Princes even though all wrote the same character. I think WS did learn and study in the mountains as this was part of Princes' training back then. But he didn't receive as much formal training as the rest of the Princes - read from description that WW was the one who received full training because he thought he would be a King after his father died since young. Oh yea I too wonder how on earth the weak WS wrote every stroke with strength considering he was about to faint. 

valsava said: @akinahana89,  The King didn't allow him to spend his time in the mountains doing nothing he sent him books and teachers I think when he was exiled the King made up is mind then to make him King to payback those people who screamed to exiled him.. One things for sure he won;t be a King that will take shyt from those nobels..  
@valsava
Really? Was this supposed to be common knowledge somehow or did I miss this part in the drama completely? lol. I mean, I think Wang So might have resented his father, the King, less than he did if the King had cared about him enough to send him books and teachers throughout the years of his exile. If the King had cared enough about Wang So, he wouldn't have exiled him alone at nine years old and leave him defenseless against that tiger he encountered up in the mountains. It seems to me that the King only changed his mind enough about Wang So when he realized he needed assistance from the scheming nobles. Otherwise, Wang So might have never been summoned back to the palace, especially with the way the rest of the palace treated him.

dawnshine said: @akinahana89 WS has pretty good handwriting, way better than his brother - the current king I must say. Perhaps WS is a very determined person - he could diverge all his energy and attention to what he has to do in a short time. The reading prediction does not only base on the chinese character but the way it was written. That's how SY could give various readings of the different Princes even though all wrote the same character. I think WS did learn and study in the mountains as this was part of Princes' training back then. But he didn't receive as much formal training as the rest of the Princes - read from description that WW was the one who received full training because he thought he would be a King after his father died since young. Oh yea I too wonder how on earth the weak WS wrote every stroke with strength considering he was about to faint.  @dawnshine
It's precisely because of his good handwriting that made me wonder about how and when Wang So had been able to perfect his strokesmanship. I feel like if the current King had been in his right mind, as in without the poison, then his handwriting would have been a bit better... although still not as well written as Wang So's. We saw how his hands shook from the poison, after all.

But Wang So probably wouldn't have received any training after his exile? It seems strange that they would intentionally send someone up to the mountains to teach him when they never expected him to ever appear at the palace again. Prince training up until nine years of age wouldn't have given Wang So that type of flawless handwriting. Especially since practicing his writing was probably the least of his concerns after being exiled.

Still, as beautiful as his brushstrokes were, I had kind of hoped to see it waver a little, just to keep true to Wang So's current state. I mean... even if I had been writing Chinese all my life, I still wouldn't have been able to write like that if my vision was blurred. lol.

I don't know. It just seems really odd to me, but I'm probably just looking too much into an overlooked error when I should be focusing on other factors. Haha.

@akinahana89,  In episode 1 or 2 WS ask why was the Kings aide was there again he had to be sending people to check on him in all those years.. I don;t think it was a bad thing for him to be defenseless at that age teach him survival skills.. 

Guest dawnshine

@valsava In history, Gwangjeong (WS) was on throne from 949-975, quite a long one compared to the other 2 previous kings and also the 5th king. He was very powerful and killed many royal families and nobles who were his rivals. He would had been on the throne longer had he not contracted a sudden disease and died few days later. During the press conference WW mentioned he's gonna get rid (kill perhaps) WS in SOGC. WW will be really mad when he finds out SY only loves WS.
@akinahana89 I don't think the King sent someone to teach WS back then due to pressure from the royal clans. But he probably did secretly send someone to bring him some basics. WS mentioned to his brother - the king that he learned a lot of things by himself there including his martial art. So that means he also learned writing and knowledge himself. It doesn't seem to make much sense but I guess what the story is trying to tell us is WS is a very smart guy and he is not lazy too. He does have ambition and want to learn even though he was abandoned by the royal family. There could also indirectly imply that once he realizes his ambition, he will either shine or go crazy. He will shine when he meets the right ally/adviser/supporter ie ahem our beloved SY. He will go crazy - act violent once he realizes his hidden ambition and may directly or indirectly harm others should his motivation not set right. The late king knew WS is King material compared to all his other sons and wanted him to be future King. But WS didn't show interest and ambition. The late King knew perhaps from the astrologist's prediction that some day WS will move towards the path to become king.
Anyways you've got sharp eyes there! The production team probably didn't think that we have some sharp eyes viewers here. Also it's not totally impossible for WS to have perfect stroke still to show the tough side of him. Just like how he still beat WW in the Prince competition with his kickass performance albeit he's still pretty weak; all he had in mind was to win the competition to stop WW from overthrowing the current king, especially realizing WW shares the same martial art style as the one who killed his father. WS is one tough smart man, who apparently is only foolish and clueless in front of Gaekbong/SY,  8->

valsava said: @akinahana89,  In episode 1 or 2 WS ask why was the Kings aide was there again he had to be sending people to check on him in all those years.. I don;t think it was a bad thing for him to be defenseless at that age teach him survival skills..  Ah... Thank you, @valsava! I must have missed that and will have to go back and rewatch it! (Not that I'm complaining about that! Hehe.)

And thanks to you as well, @dawnshine, for the insight! I fully agree that Wang So actually has the best potential to be King. He may not have that ambition and purpose, but he has his mind and heart in the right place - doing the best and providing for the people of Goryeo and not for only himself. Especially after learning from Shin Yool, Wang So has an even clearer purpose than the one his late father asked of him.

akinahana89 said: valsava said: @akinahana89,  The King didn't allow him to spend his time in the mountains doing nothing he sent him books and teachers I think when he was exiled the King made up is mind then to make him King to payback those people who screamed to exiled him.. One things for sure he won;t be a King that will take shyt from those nobels..  

i hope the king did take home the tea that SY served them, he seemed relaxed after taking it. his mind seemed to have cleared and was willing to accept WS's explanation...but wondering if Chunghae is very very near the palace? i mean, if not, that's a long walk for a king. ;) 

gumi said:  In fact I think they carefully designed each written characters according to personalities....I felt like the character Wang So wrote felt kind of on the rough side and with powerful energy, whereas the one WW wrote looked more refined and standard. The one emperor wrote was just crazy.

I definitely do think that they designed each brushstroke of the character to match the personalities. I just thought it odd that it was so flawless since I thought it was the one that looked the best. (Only the best for the future King, I suppose? lol.)

And while it is a simple character, it would still probably be hard to write it so perfectly with eyes closed or, in this case, blurry vision. Or maybe my own Chinese skills just suck? LOL. But I get the point. xD Like I said, I'm probably just over dissecting something not as important as the rest of the episode. Haha.

akinahana89 said: gumi said:  In fact I think they carefully designed each written characters according to personalities....I felt like the character Wang So wrote felt kind of on the rough side and with powerful energy, whereas the one WW wrote looked more refined and standard. The one emperor wrote was just crazy.

gumi said: akinahana89 said: gumi said:  In fact I think they carefully designed each written characters according to personalities....I felt like the character Wang So wrote felt kind of on the rough side and with powerful energy, whereas the one WW wrote looked more refined and standard. The one emperor wrote was just crazy.

I definitely do think that they designed each brushstroke of the character to match the personalities. I just thought it odd that it was so flawless since I thought it was the one that looked the best. (Only the best for the future King, I suppose? lol.)

And while it is a simple character, it would still probably be hard to write it so perfectly with eyes closed or, in this case, blurry vision. Or maybe my own Chinese skills just suck? LOL. But I get the point. xD Like I said, I'm probably just over dissecting something not as important as the rest of the episode. Haha.
I do think it is hard but not impossible...especially if he's a person capable of fighting and being a champion after dropping a bw and then a sword :)) I guess if he can fight, he can write as well haha I guess Wang So is pretty much the epitome of the phrase "the pen is mightier than the sword?" lol.

Oh, by the way, Oh Yeon Seo as Shin Yool was the motivation behind this article. lol.

class="content-title"12 Dimpled Korean Actors and Actresses that Dazzle Dimples_Feature.png

Flash me some nice, deep dimples and I’m a complete goner. I don’t know why. I mean, they’re basically just small indentations in your cheeks caused by a muscle deformity… but I really, really adore them. Unfortunately, I wasn’t blessed with dimples, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate them on others… like these twelve great actors and actresses!

[click here to read full article]

akinahana89 said: Oh, by the way, Oh Yeon Seo as Shin Yool was the motivation behind this article. lol.

class="content-title"12 Dimpled Korean Actors and Actresses that Dazzle

Flash me some nice, deep dimples and I’m a complete goner. I don’t know why. I mean, they’re basically just small indentations in your cheeks caused by a muscle deformity… but I really, really adore them. Unfortunately, I wasn’t blessed with dimples, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate them on others… like these twelve great actors and actresses!

[click here to read full article]

Guest chajoowon

akinahana89 said:

valsava

said: @akinahana89,  In episode 1 or 2 WS ask why was the Kings aide was there again he had to be sending people to check on him in all those years.. I don;t think it was a bad thing for him to be defenseless at that age teach him survival skills.. 

I also wonder why WS can't recognize gaebong as SY but after I watched 1st episode again, I realize that WS saw SY face only once, that was when he helped her in front of gisaeng house at Gaebong from the running cart. It was in very brief moment and then WS ran again, so he might be not notice at all the girl face, who she was and he forget that easily. WS also didn't see whom he married, so he didn't know that she was the girl that he helped before. I begin to understand why WS can't recognize SY, it is simply because he doesn't know SY at all. he doesn't who is SY and how is SY face. It is different with the others that already see SY face first before see her dress as a man. 
He already suspicious that GB is a woman so he went to peek GB when she took a bath, and then he saw a d**k. It was a set up made by BM but WS didn't know it and he thought that it is GB's d**k. No matter how feminine, girly and pretty a man is, if he has a d**k, it absolutely means that he is a man. May be that's why WS still always think that GB is a man. My laugh exploded when WS touch ES and hug him for test himself. It was very hilarious.
I think that the woman that born from North Star energy is really talented and perfect.  SY and YW have beauty, brain, and bravery. It's perfect! All men will be very lucky to have them as wife. They have it all. SY can speak many foreign languages, she has a lot of knowledge including medical, politics and how to run a company. She also has modern and out of the box thought. The way she held a selection is what really happen in modern time. YW is intelligence expert. She knows a lot of information and manage all the things while everyone don't know what she do. She sent a lot of spies, she do nothing and wait for the information from her spies. After she got all information, she processes all information in her brain then she concludes and makes a decision. It's awesome!
I'm still unclear about this thing. Does WS know about Se Won existence? He is YW guardian and YW said that he is her shadow but he often appears in public such as at the castle and in front of trading company when he talked with YW. If WS know about him, he can realize that Se Won is the culprit of his father death but it seems that WS knows nothing about him.

Guest dawnshine

@chajoowoon - WS was the 4th oldest son; he's the 4th prince. He has 2 older brothers of the same mother and another older brother from a different mother. YW, is atually his older half sister. WS and WW were born in the same year but WS was a few months older. He accidentally "killed" his oldest brother of the same mother - the Crown prince at that time, who was meant to be the first in line for the throne. The current (crazy) king who is his full brother is the 3rd Goryeo King. The 2nd King (of a different mother) was only in throne very briefly like 2-3 years.
From my understanding all princes were meant to have gone through some formal strict training since young. WS did have some of that until he was sent away at eight. The story in SOGC didn't focus on his childhood. But it indirectly reflected that WS is a very intelligent man who picks things up fast and possesses strong leadership - the no wishy washy but calm-minded type...all these talents and skills were what his father - King Taejoo wanted in his successor. Nevertheless the King did secretly send people to check on WS all those years, otherwise how would he know for sure WS had been always there and send EC to bring WS back to palace before he died? Typically all kings want to have everything in control, let alone he knows this son has potential to be a king. He knew his other sons are not as smart as WS (at least in SOGC), but his Queen (WS' own mother) and the noble clans disliked WS, so Taejoo couldn't directly put WS as first in line. He knew other sons (to be kings) would be somehow under the control of the noble clans led by his cousin - WSR. He had a talk with WSR to request him remain loyal to the next kings - his nephews and gifted him Taejoo's sword as a form of respect and gratitude. The cunning WSR of course pretended to agree. But he didn't expect WSR to kill him and to eat up his kingdom that soon.
@Alston9 - Technically WS did not ever see SY's face as SY from the beginning. Their first acquaintance in Gaekbong where he saved her, SY had a veil on her. When he truly saw SY's face, she appeared as Geakbong in front of him. 
WS doesn't know the existence of Se Won (the shadow). At this stage, WS doesn't even know YW family (the Hwangbo family) has been having close contact with WSR for many years. SW was sent by WSR to spy on YW in the name of protecting YW. But the smart YW knew about it and she also knew SW liked her, so she manipulated SW (it's still not very clear if YW likes SW at this point in SOGC) to tell him be her shadow and share information about WSR with her.
It's lucky for the men who have a Northstar wife. But at the same time not any man could be lucky to have a Northstar wife. The theme is destiny; SOGC wants to show that if it's meant to be for the two person to be together, no matter how far apart they were, how different their upbringing etc they would end up together. SY was a princess from Baelhae, another kingdom. WS is a prince of Goryeo. They lived a different type of life. I would say at least WS and YW share a lot of common background. But at the end the story of SOGC wants to show that distance isn't an obstacle for SY-WS because they are meant to be one true pair.