Add and Subtract Game

Admin

@phikyl my romcom week is lasting for over a year and it doesn't feel like stopping (though I'll admit, "Remember" almost broke it with romance being only in the last few episodes. I disliked it for it!).

You could argue that for just about any character from Firefly. Why not "insert random name"? Any one of the main leading characters would've been a disaster and thats exactly why. It was meant to end on a disaster. The series needed a proper ending. Had everybody survived, there would've been room for a sequel, a new season and fans would've been crying out loud for it. With the killing of one of the main characters, the show has been put to rest for good and I personally think it's for the better. Rebooting a long dead show (voluntarily in that state or not) is hardly ever a good idea since people (and thus writers) change. Not to mention the difficulty of getting the same actors together. Just look at how long the Friends movie took. Or the reboot of X-files... Or Twin Peaks. Haven't seen any of them, but I doubt they have the same feeling as they used to.

Movie -> game adaptations are hardly any good. Vice versa is even worse though. I don't know. It could've been good, but if you like the concept of Firefly, start playing Eve Online. It has a massive community, you can fly spaceships, do various jobs (anything from building to mining to destroying outlaws to... you name it) and it has one of the deepest gameplays you'll ever come across. Not to mention the sheer beauty of the game. Take a look at this trailer. It's all from in-game footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjTrPutt4k

@CamelKnight My romcom watching is usually never ending [MDL is proof of that] but 2 weeks out of the year are guaranteed tragedy/melodrama weeks. That’s usually when I get all my tearjerkers in. Lol! Thanks for the tip on Remember though! It’s annoying to go into a show expecting romance because of a tag, only to find out the romance is non-existent.

True enough, though I’d argue that Doctor Who disproves that. I don’t think the re-boot is more popular than the original but it’s still immensely popular. I haven’t seen any other re-boots or similar other than DW.

I was going to say that KotOR 1&2 and SW:tOR are pretty good but I guess those are all based off the Star Wars lore rather than the actual movies. It would still be cool to be able to fly around and explore the Firefly universe though.

My best friend has been trying to get me to play EVE with him since Warhammer shut down a few years ago but I’ve been stuck on GW2. Pvp is the draw for me in games; how’s the pvp in EVE? Those graphics are gorgeous! Makes me wish I could watch that vid on my gaming PC rather than my laptop. I might have to actually pick it up once I burn out on GW2…

@phikyl I seriously hoped for something nice with "Remember" but was really let down. I don't have a thing for courtroom drama's. I just don't get the fuss. Besides that, I thought it had too many loose ends that desperately needed tying up. I was underwhelmed. 

Haven't seen Dr. Who to be honest. I know I'm missing out, but... ah well, maybe someday lol :P

Nice thing about EVE is that you're even able to play it for free. Once you make enough cash in game, you can buy Plex in game which can be traded for gametime.
How's PvP? Well... Read this story: https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/the-bloodbath-of-b-r5rb/ It's about a PvP battle that took place in 2014. A few others equally large have followed since, but this is most likely the best documented one. Yes, it's quite a long read. There's a summary at the bottom though if you don't follow or don't care as much :) 
One thing you might need to know beforehand: EVE Online is a single game on a single server. It's one, massive, gigantic, stupendous server, but every player is on there. All of them. At the same time. Now go on, read :) 

@CamelKnight Maybe I’ll hold off on that then. The only remotely close drama I’ve finished is “I Hear Your Voice” and that was pretty good. As much as I like the lead actor in “Remember” I think I’ll leave it alone for a while.

Missing. Out. I highly recommend it but start with the reboot if you’re not a fan of older series’.

I think I saw videos of that battle, or maybe it was a different one. All I know is the person playing was having issues with graphics rendering because there were so many people in one area. Lol!

@phikyl "I hear your voice" is on my watchlist. Perhaps I'll have a look after "Blood". Who knows. That should be finished in a few days (got about half the series left I think).

Yeah I know lol :) Working my way through Vikings and Big Bang Theory atm. Perhaps I'll have the Dalek exterminate me in a while lol :)

There were over 7.500 players in that battle alone. Since you can buy the ingame currency by selling gametime, they calculated the loss in real dollars. It amounts to over $300.000. A single, 24 hour battle. 
Normally when a big battle is expected, they let the admins know and they get a part of the server dedicated for that battle so it runs more smoothly. This was just a coincidence and so nothing had been reserved.
The game has all the players in the same universe so you can, potentially, meet hundreds of thousands of players at once. I used to play with 2 accounts but stopped playing a while ago. I sometimes reactivate though, just to catch up with old friends :)

@CamelKnight 

It was pretty good but I’ll admit that the noona romance was kind of off-putting at first. Even though I know that the character’s ages aren’t too far apart [especially if you think about the age difference in Witch’s Romance] the male lead still being in high school for part of it was iffy to me.

My favorite villain isn’t even the Daleks, it’s the Angels. Don’t blink! Doctor Who probably isn’t going anywhere for a while so there’s no rush.

7500?! Wow, that’s insane! That’s a lot of real money lost in that battle too but that just simulates the losses in a real war. Bet people won’t make that mistake again for a while though! How many hours of gameplay does it take to get one of those ships?