Add and Subtract Game

Admin

@CamelKnight Netflix really just needs to make their dvd selection available for streaming too. I'm not sure why they're trying to keep the dvd thing going. If they took everything from dvd to streaming it would expand the streaming library quite a bit. Plus, is the dvd option even available in countries other than the US? I'm not sure that it is.

I'd definitely be willing to pay a bit more to another service if it meant I had access to the shows I wanted to watch. Holding on to this system is really just creating more pirates instead of reducing them. I absolutely agree that most piraters would be willing to pay a little bit extra if it means they get access to the shows/movies they're interested in watching. So really, these companies are just hurting themselves. 

@phikyl No DVD's available outside the US, only streaming. I know Netflix started out with the renting out of video (like Blockbuster for instance. R.I.P.) but they evolved. For the home land, they still rent out DVD's. Apparently, there's still a market for it. Here in the Netherlands, any DVD/video-lending company left is nearing it's death. There's just no market for it. Mainly because our Internet connections are so fast, we can stream anything.
Netflix only needs about 4Mbit/s for an HD movie (most likely less due to packaging of the content) while our average bandwidth speed is over 20Mbit/s. Fiberoptics is seeing a huge rise the last couple of years, but even via cable, people are able to get up to 300Mbit/s nowadays.Some fiberoptics companies are offering 1 Gigabit/s for less than 40 Euro's (under 50 bucks I think) a month.

Ah, if only those moviecompanies would actually listen up :). The first one to offer all their content digitally in a user friendly website with sufficient bandwidth to offer proper streaming, is going to rake in the Dollar's/Euro's/Yen/WON...

@CamelKnight That's it, I'm moving to Europe just for the internet! :P I don't even know anyone who still does the DVD rental from Netflix. Every person I know [including older generations] has moved on to streaming. It's much more convenient than waiting 2 weeks for the DVD to be shipped to you and then only being able to get 2-4 DVD's at a time depending on what plan you purchase. 

I haven't tried any of the other streaming services like Amazon but if they would get ahead of the game digitally, they would definitely rake in money. I don't know if it's in the works but I think Amazon is the one best set up for that; aside from Netflix of course. Those two are very well known sites and their influence spans across multiple countries. 

@phikyl Internet is not everywhere as fast as here. But I think the Netherlands ranks second, only behind South Korea :). It's real stable too. Hardly any outage at all (like 98% uptime guaranteed). It makes streaming very enjoyable :P

Amazon doesn't have a big name over here, they're mostly known for their webshop but not about other things (though I do know they've got Kindle for instance). Amazon was the hotness way back in the ninetees but they kinda lost it. I do think Google might be a solid thing though. They're up into everything these days. Almost as creepy as Apple lol :D 

@CamelKnight Yeah. Google has the fiber optics thing in the works too so they're trying to get ahead of the game in a lot of ways. Would be a real coup if they took the opportunity to put something like this in the works at the same time.

I'm officially jelly of your internet. Even with a business package, I still have issues. :angry: Unfortunately for me, the company I'm with has a monopoly in my area so I can either deal with the issues or not have internet. I choose to deal. Lol!

@phikyl Major problem is the sheer size of the US. Before everyone has fiberoptics, it's going to be some time.

We've got several good options here. Cable with up to 300Mbit connections, vDSL up to 100Mbit, ADSL up to 24Mbit, fiberoptics (soon) up to 1gigabit (for the time being). Dial up is almost non existent (I think there are a few hundred or a few thousand dial ups left in the Netherlands). High speed bandwidth is available in about 98% of the country. With high speed being 20Mbit and over.
Yeah, we're doing alright here :D 

@CamelKnight Yeahhh. I'm going to stick with saying I'm jealous and leave it at that. Lol! I don't expect fiber optics right away but I'd like decent speeds that don't cost an arm and a leg. Oh, and this monopoly has got to go. They get away with too much throttling just because there's no other options. :angry: