[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

A slightly belated Birthday Tribute--
From Episode 14, The Dinner-For-Two-From-Hell-With-Dom-Perignone scene:46aec5e7-ffd8-421c-8fb5-f1f56f1f0f56_zps

c1b19633-7bb9-48e5-a810-fa304d72d02e_zps

So, if you were like me, at this point in the drama, you were probably screaming at your screen, "Kang, just shut your mouth already...no one cares about you, or this guy you are yammering on about..You're a pompous Richard Simmons, and you mispronounced his name--it's Pad-uh-rev-ski, sheesh...Go away and give Hye Won a divorce already so we can get on with a happy ending for her and Seon Jae!"   Even when watching a second time, that was pretty much my thought process...
However, as I started doing some research for this uhhh..'side project' (heh) I have going on, I kept hearing this name, and his music...and so I decided I needed to find out more about Ignacy Jan Paderewski.  I was going to write up this whole scholarly paper on his life and achievements, but the good folks at Seohan West  I mean the University of Southern California (USC) beat me to it. I have no need to reinvent the wheel, so I will put the link here and defer to their superior research and writing skills. (click for link
I will add one personal note here.  The church of the Black Madonna mentioned at the end of the USC article is better known as The National Shrine of Our Lady Of Czestochowa (pronounced chen-sto-ho-va).  I know because I lived in Doylestown as a child, and I've been to this church (I'd call it a Cathedral in terms of scope and size) many times.  It sits high up on a hill, and I could see the tall building and spire from my backyard. The site was selected because the original church in Poland was up on a hill, facing the same way (toward the west). When the sun sets, it reflects off of the building, and it's simply stunning to see, it looks like it glows as if it were made from gold but that doesn't even do it justice. It took over 20 years to get the church built, it was a work in progress--but mostly done--when I was there. The monument to Paderewski had not been built yet either.
Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the Paderewski Festival in Paso Robles this weekend which coincides with his birthday (it's about 3 1/2 hours north of where I live) but it sounds like a great 4 day weekend for anyone who likes Polish dancing, great classical music, lectures, film screenings, wine tastings, and a Piano Competition too! I'm going to mark it on my calendar for next year. (click for link)
Closer to home, here in the LA area, there is a Piano Competition in his name, but unfortunately the next one is not until 2016.  (click for link)
Oh, yeah, the music...there are some great audio versions of Paderewski playing both his own works, and others as well.  I always like to hear the composer play his own works; there's no need for interpretation questions.  My personal favorite is a radio recital, recorded live in 1939. He was 79 years old at the time. (click for link) and of course the piece he is most famous for, the Minuet in G, recorded in 1937 (

)  There is a full length movie  built around him playing the piano called, "
".  (warning: video/audio quality is sketchy, but it's almost 80 years old too)
Many thanks again to writer-nim, for adding in this detail in the storyline.  It's another example of the many layers that make SLA what it is.

Another good news: SLA casts are nominated in 2014 APAN Star Awards
From YAI International FB :

Best
Male in Drama:
Yoo Ah In (Secret Love Affair)

Best Female in Drama:
Kim Hee Ae (Secret Love Affair)

Best Supporting Male in Drama:
Kim Chang Wan (Secret Love Affair)
Park Hyeok-kwon
(Secret Love Affair, Trot Lovers)

Best Supporting Female in Drama:
Kim Hae Woon (Secret Love Affair, Triangle)

Female Rookie of the Year:
Kyung Soo Jin (Secret Love  Affair, Plus Nine Boys)

Guest dualnon

@seungshinl translated the following script awhile ago.  She did it with the video version in mind.  Translating and editing for the video is different than just the text because @blindd had to fit all the dialogue and direction into the limited time available between the aired dialogue and action.  I decided to re-edit the script because...duh...we have the wonderful translation.  So @gretac and I worked on it to get it into shape for just text.  Not an easy task, so I'm giving credit to both of us as editors on this one.  We discovered some fun things along the way.  @gretac found one of the original musical pieces in the script changed by the time it got to the screen.  We'd heard that happened from the pianists' radio interview.  See if you can find it.  So without further ado...

Secret Love Affair Script: Episodes 1 & 2 – Really, Too Beautiful

@seungshinl translated the following script awhile ago.  She did it with the video version in mind.  Translating and editing for the video is different than just the text because @blindd had to fit all the dialogue and direction into the limited time available between the aired dialogue and action.  I decided to re-edit the script because...duh...we have the wonderful translation.  So @gretac and I worked on it to get it into shape for just text.  Not an easy task, so I'm giving credit to both of us as editors on this one.  We discovered some fun things along the way.  @gretac found one of the original musical pieces in the script changed by the time it got to the screen.  We'd heard that happened from the pianists' radio interview.  See if you can find it.  So without further ado...

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

O @Seungshinl, @Seungshinl, wherefore art thou @Seungshinl?

Deny thy mother-in-law and (we should have) refuse thy leave extension application!

Or if thou wilt not return, be but sworn thou wilt translateth thee SLA interviewth,

And we wilt no longer linger like ghosts in Soompi yonder.......

Guest cincinc

africandramalover said: HAPPY DANCE! ! New Kim Hee Ae drama with the genius team of WriterNim and PDNim! ! Http://Www.koalasplayground.com/2014/11/03/kim-hee-ae-confirmed-for-epic-sbs-drama-with-secret-love-affair-production-team/

Guest cincinc

ktomato said:

@seungshinl translated the following script awhile ago.  She did it with the video version in mind.  Translating and editing for the video is different than just the text because @blindd had to fit all the dialogue and direction into the limited time available between the aired dialogue and action.  I decided to re-edit the script because...duh...we have the wonderful translation.  So @gretac and I worked on it to get it into shape for just text.  Not an easy task, so I'm giving credit to both of us as editors on this one.  We discovered some fun things along the way.  @gretac found one of the original musical pieces in the script changed by the time it got to the screen.  We'd heard that happened from the

pianists' radio interview

.  See if you can find it.  So without further ado...