[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

Pfft!

That's helpful information. Let's see, for SLA they could tour a small dilapidated rooftop apartment, a FaithQuick delivery route - oh, a prison waiting room! ...

Even the Han Seo mansion-castle-prison-home, though it would be intriguing to see, is not exactly a feel-good spot for viewers of the drama.

It's hard to market from a character-driven show.

Other potential places of SLA tourist interest:

The sleazy love hotel

The bar where HW broke the beer bottle--tour guides are DVD fighters

The hanok

Backstage area at Seohan University...

And of course, tourists should be able to get a ride thru the streets of Seoul at night on the back of a scooter while the OST plays in the helmet speakers

mdj101 said: A COMMENT ABOUT THE JAPAN INTERVIEW:
 YAI's "favorite" or "most memorable line" from SLA, as quoted in the article from Japanese interview, was this one:   "My soul was born again, when I met you".
Among the comments written below the translation of YAI's article was a reference to something YAI once said regarding Director Ahn in some previous interview.  I easily gave up looking for the original article because I get "lost" running around online.   

But YAI supposedly said that he "felt Pd. Ahn  was like a  'Hye Won'  who rediscovered him and made him feel reborn" (per Mariana's comment), after many dramas/movies that did not fulfill his expectations ( something along those lines, per Mariana's full  comment).

Guest dualnon

I just posted on the blog @shamrockmom's comment and videos from a couple of weeks ago about ep11 and HW playing Schumann's Toccata in C Major Op.7.  So of course I went back and watched the scene.  I still don't understand this line from Prof Jo to SJ.  I know it's been discussed and explained but it's something I've never been able to grasp.

If Oh Hye Won today were one of the 24 piano variations you played yesterday, that picture there could be the theme.

dualnon

said: I just posted on the blog @shamrockmom's

comment

and videos from a couple of weeks ago about ep11 and HW playing

Schumann's Toccata in C Major Op.7

.  So of course I went back and watched the scene.  I still don't understand

this line

from Prof Jo to SJ.  I know it's been discussed and explained but it's something I've never been able to grasp.

If Oh Hye Won today were one of the 24 piano variations you played yesterday, that picture there could be the theme.

shamrockmom said:

dualnon

comment

this line

from Prof Jo to SJ.  I know it's been discussed and explained but it's something I've never been able to grasp.

Guest dualnon

shamrockmom said:

dualnon

comment

this line

dualnon said: shamrockmom said:

dualnon

comment

this line

@dualnon,
(NOTE:... I couldn't turn the article references into links as I have done in the past!  But if you enter ...Ahn Pan Seok... into Google, they will surely turn up for you, too)

I came here without taking time to read all of the interesting comments  so far because I want to mention some articles I found online while Googling for Pd. Ahn today.  had to cut it short....the searches go on forever! I will make a list (easier than writing paragraphs):
1.  .fandomscape.wordpress/2014/03/  .  "More Translations of SLA  Press Conference" and "Review of the 21 Minute Preview of SLA"......Written prior to the live on-air start of SLA, the reviewer translates the pre-release statements by Pd. Ahn, KHA, and YAI  (slight differences in translation?), but mainly the writer does a fantastic job in analyzing the Director's artistry and skill in the 21 minute Preview/Trailer of SLA. Screencaps are included in that dissection of the Preview.   WOW... and again Wow.. for a job well done.
RANDOM ARTICLE OF GENERAL INTEREST, GUYS:
     On the same page their is a reference to another article  that I have remembered for a very long time but couldn't find:... "Random Thoughts on Yoo Ah In, Kim Tae Hee, and What Constitutes an Acting Career"...... A really insightful way of considering any actors arc of growth and development over a lifetime  and of how any artist may best achieve that goal through the choices and decisions they make in their work.
2.   thefangirlverdict.com/ahn-pan-seok/.........Dated September 12, 2014,  this review includes many screencaps in a review of the entire 16 episodes. The focus is mainly on the work of Pd.Ahn in creating the visuals of the story.  A very, very long analysis, but simply amazing and breathtaking in scope.
3.   ocdramadee. wordpress.com/2014/05/23/secret-love-affair-to-oblivion-and-back/#more-3359..... A thoughtful  consideration  of some of the initial expectations of the drama:...adultery, noona of 20 yrs difference in age, "sluts", etc.  versus the reality delivered in the drama.
POST SCRIPT:  ..... Again I will admit that my head is spinning with repeated viewing of screencaps, reviews, etc., etc.. If I try to look back to the Blog and to articles just read, I get dizzy!  So, if I have duplicated an item already noted, I know you will be understanding!         It is SO STRANGE how the drama, its actors, its message all keep popping into my mind during the week.  Definitely signs of a great classic piece of work.  Just re-read Pd.Ahn's interview on the Blog (first part) and how true that more meaning is revealed with second and third viewings!

@shamrockmom, @dualnon, @gretac,
Thank you all!  You guys have done it yet again and found new and deep meaning in the music and the drama itself.  I found the video on Youtube (Thanks, @shamrockmom) and will enjoy it on the Blog later.  Be sure to make a reference to this somewhere near that scene for others, please?  The kind of thing that I gloss over and think I have a genera idea what he meant, but this is much more clear to a musician like Prof. Jo and Seon Jae.  Those first 5 minutes really make it clear what "the theme" means in that sentence.
PS:.... Maybe the drama should be preceded by a "Warning Label"  to guide viewers to the Blog for further understanding of the classical music selections and references!   Without the information shared here by those more familiar with the piano classics, how very much of SLA would have been lost to me !..........."JUST A LITTLE JOKE"  for those who are unfamiliar with us here!    :)@shamrockmom...... If only I could give you all 3 "clicks" for that fan letter! It was Awsome, LOL, and Insightful, all at one time!

@dualnon,  ..... I had an idea for more work for you, in case you have too much time on your hands (  :D  ........ large space left for you to flick fingers on my forehead or other punishment of your choice!.) I wonder if there is some way to make a Category just for references to items on the Blog that clear up or that add information about a classical reference/selection in the drama?  The category would simply be made up of "links" to places on the Blog that give a full treatment significant meaning that a non-musician would not usually understand.  Like an index leading to the videos, texts, etc. within the Blog.  Something very "bare-bones" in style, to simplify finding what is needed to help people  better appreciate the drama.                              If this idea sounds appealing at all, I think it should have a NAME that would function sort of like the "warning label" (that is what gave me the idea)  and should be near the entry page of the Blog.  Lots of people don't even know what they are missing, otherwise.

OK, time for something fun.  I haven't written a Fan letter to a Korean celebrity in a while.  

To: Assistant Prosecutor-nim

1724 Seocho-dong

Seocho-gu, Seoul

South Korea

October 4, 2014

Dear Assistant Prosecutor-nim,

prosecutorjackpot_zps4773c75b.jpg

I know in your line of work, you don't get too many compliments...working in a dental office myself, I can relate. However, today I want to make sure you get a “Top Compliment” from me for your amazing 90 second performance in the 16th episode of Secret Love Affair.

Different commentators on the Soompi forum have endlessly praised Seon Jae for his many nuanced facial expressions—as well they should, he's amazing. However, for the short time you graced the screen, your expression as you downloaded the files from Hye Won's pretty pink flash drive and saw those files showing all the payoffs from the SeoHan clan to That Snake Lawyer Kim and his fossilized Daddy..well, that is a moment I'll never forget. The subtle widening of your eyes, your lips part as the shock of what you are seeing sinks in, the way you lean your body toward the laptop screen to get a better look at the files...a sublime performance for sure. It's as if I could see the wheels turning in your brain...the glee at finally getting back at That Snake for all the indignities he has personally imposed upon you, from picking up his dry cleaning to taking his car in for a wash...you plan to make the payback as painful as possible. You seem to have a way to really get into your character, and it comes naturally to you.

I think Jomo said it best in her recap when she described your expression as, “Oh richard simmons! Jackpot!” Unfortunately, I was too emotionally distraught during the live stream at that moment to realize how accurate her description was; I now understand that seeing that look on your face probably kept me from throwing both myself and the tablet into the San Gabriel River, and only sacrificing the tablet.

I had faith in you, Assistant Prosecutor-nim, that you were going to take the information contained in the pretty pink flash drive straight to your Boss, Young Ju.

hunter9-00565_zps697c4284.jpg

I know your Boss well from watching City Hunter; that guy is a total perfectionist, a dude who goes by the book in his endless pursuit of truth and justice. He's gonna love taking down that corrupt Snake Kim and all his cronies. However, I'm sure you're tired of seeing your Boss get all the plum jobs, running around chasing the City Hunter, and flirting with cute girls, while you're stuck in the office, sharpening pencils and making coffee. I can only imagine that when the PD-nim for SLA approached you with this gig, you thought, “This is it, my big chance to be a Drama-land star!” And then you only got a minute and a half of on-screen time, and no name or acknowledgment in the credits. How depressing. I want you to know that you did a lot with the little bit of screen time you were given. You gave us viewers hope that Hye Won did the right thing, took down all those Hannon-dong crooks, and justice would be served. I know I was especially happy that you would help bring That Snake Lawyer Kim to justice—he needs a big dose of jail time in the general population with a “Kick Me” sign on his back, if you ask me.

Thanks again, Assistant Prosecutor-nim for your commitment to excellence. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, both in the Seoul Prosecutor's Office and in Drama-land.

Sincerely,

Shamrockmom

Guest dualnon

mdj101 said: @shamrockmom, @dualnon, @gretac,
Thank you all!  You guys have done it yet again and found new and deep meaning in the music and the drama itself.  I found the video on Youtube (Thanks, @shamrockmom) and will enjoy it on the Blog later.  Be sure to make a reference to this somewhere near that scene for others, please?  The kind of thing that I gloss over and think I have a genera idea what he meant, but this is much more clear to a musician like Prof. Jo and Seon Jae.  Those first 5 minutes really make it clear what "the theme" means in that sentence.
PS:.... Maybe the drama should be preceded by a "Warning Label"  to guide viewers to the Blog for further understanding of the classical music selections and references!   Without the information shared here by those more familiar with the piano classics, how very much of SLA would have been lost to me !..........."JUST A LITTLE JOKE"  for those who are unfamiliar with us here!    :)@shamrockmom...... If only I could give you all 3 "clicks" for that fan letter! It was Awsome, LOL, and Insightful, all at one time!

@dualnon,  ..... I had an idea for more work for you, in case you have too much time on your hands (  :D  ........ large space left for you to flick fingers on my forehead or other punishment of your choice!.) I wonder if there is some way to make a Category just for references to items on the Blog that clear up or that add information about a classical reference/selection in the drama?  The category would simply be made up of "links" to places on the Blog that give a full treatment significant meaning that a non-musician would not usually understand.  Like an index leading to the videos, texts, etc. within the Blog.  Something very "bare-bones" in style, to simplify finding what is needed to help people  better appreciate the drama.                              If this idea sounds appealing at all, I think it should have a NAME that would function sort of like the "warning label" (that is what gave me the idea)  and should be near the entry page of the Blog.  Lots of people don't even know what they are missing, otherwise.

Hello, Everyone and @dualnon, 
I am still trying to find the reason why I am unable to type in the words to make a "link":, because it was so easy until recently.  I am blaming it on a "forced" update to Windows 8.1, since I see a few other changes on my PC screen also.
While trying to "fix" the three "links" to reviews that I posted recently, I found myself in " yooahinseekland" reading an article posted back on May 18, 2014, by Furbabe :..."Critically Acclaimed Secret Love Affair Ends With A Blast".   If I even saw it back then I must have skipped over it and thought I already knew what it said.  Some of it I had heard before, but the article now seems especially enlightening about the relationship between YAI and Pd. Ahn. I do recommend it to you for some insight r/t production of SLA.  And LOVED the article from CrunchyBites about episodes 7 & 8 and "the bed scene"!
PS: ... I am still trying to figure out my problem with creating "links".......Trying all kinds of combination but still like blaming those "Windows" people!  >:P  
 ALSO:...The review (by "fangirl") of the 21 minute SLA Preview is also posted in its entirety on the same site as this article!  Another article was also great:...SLA Review: "And no one knows it's love but us"... written by novelist and SBS Program Director, Lee Je Ik.    I think I underestimated this fan site!  I rarely looked back at it, because I didn't want to just read about YAI.  I missed a lot of "goodies" about SLA!  Also found a reference somewhere along the way to YAI being called "The Nation's Favorite Younger Boyfriend" during the period of SLA run on TV. ALSO:.....The long and very beautiful review with screencaps that I  cited from .."ocdramadee"... can be located by Googling "ocdramadee" and looking in the Archives for May, 2014.    

Haha! I watched parts of episode 15 over a lot of times when I was writing the parody. I half expected things to happen that I had made up. Like when Hye won put her laptop in the water and stood up, I thought Kang should be there with the cops. And when she took her USB out of the speaker I thought of her taking lots of things out of it like Mary Poppins with her carpet bag. Funny parts: The chairman saying that Mme Han smelled like a bag of musk. Young woo rushing around to straighten up her apartment and sticking a large lamp shade over the top of the small one. Seon Jae calling out: are you watching? To the men sneaking around the parking garage following him and Hye won. Mme Baek telling Mme Han that even her daughter, who only goes to school once a week, knows about the scandal. And speaking of the nasty Richgirl,The part where she sits down to play the piano with the Quartet, says she will replace Seon jae, and starts plunking. That's pretty good too. I was pretty happy that there were so many cute parts of the next to the last episode, which is usually pretty grim.

Guest dualnon

I remember when I first watched eps 15 and 16.  I took Mon and Tue off and watched the live stream.  Throughout the day I rewatched scenes without subs while continually refreshing Viki to see what the sub percentage was and then watching it there regardless of the number.  I was sad about the events in SLA and I was sad that SLA was coming to an end.  It makes me sad to watch it again now. 

Thoughts on Episode 15 & 16
I'm still fuzzy on that "my cost, your cost" conversation at the end of the Hongdae date
Kang, throwing a fit, knocking over her cosmetics...I know it's so wrong of me, but I really wanted him to OD at that point. 
My life is more complete after seeing Kang get ousted in the "musical chairs" with SJ at the police station (a most satisfying part of Episode 15), or having another tantrum when he finds out SJ has left the school, or finding out the money is gone, and no more $30K to spend on clothes.  Jobless, prize student-less, wife-less, out of money, begging to stay with YW.  Pathetic, but he deserves it. (Funny too, after the first couple episodes on Viki, there were so many comments, like--oh I feel sorry for the husband--or--Oh, it's so wrong...but by the time episode 14-15 come around those folks are long gone and the comments are--can't he just go away already--and then they escalate to--this guy needs to die a painful death.  Full circle commenting...)
HW and Snake Lawyer Kim, and the handshake between them that SJ sees, OMG the look on his face, he's crushed.   
Yes, I checked...there is no classicinside.com website (where SJ and Makgui Hyung chatted...)...the first thing I have found in this series to be fictional..
The scene at the end where HW "unnies" cut her hair is still the most abusive and harrowing scene for me to watch even after all this time.  I know that scene pushed me over the edge into tablet throwing mode...
A fun picture now....check this out..our boy SJ and his buddy Jang Ho, two high class dudes! Note the TP roll as dinner napkin dispenser, center bottom of screencap  LOL
tp_zps74e6efb6.jpg

A couple more general comments--I know we discussed the ending as having a Buddhist feel to it vs. a nod to Christianity...I fully admit my own Western culture-locked perspective, so I decided I needed to know more about Buddhism.  I've borrowed some books from my kids friends who've taken comparative religion classes at college, and bought a couple others on their recommendations. From what I have figured out so far, this Buddhist perspective theory makes a lot of sense.  I wish I had this kind of knowledge before I started watching SLA, it would have probably been "tablet-sparing"...well, maybe..:\">It's making the other drama I'm watching right now (the one with the bracelet trinket) a crystal clear viewing experience. I want to do some more reading, then I may post a helpful book list.   I still think the "3-16" over the jail cell is a backhand slap on Christianity, along with all of Kang's hypocrisy.
Also, remember when we discussed the military exemption for winning competitions?  I stand corrected...there is a music competition in Korea called Isang Yun which grants exemptions if the first or second place winner is otherwise eligible for military service. It started in 2013, link to Wikipedia article here, it's 1/3 way down the page